Issuu on Google+

Board Meeting Minutes Tuesday 7th August, 2012 10am Scottish Music Centre


Directors Present: Stewart Henderson (S. Henderson), Tam Coyle (TC), Jamie Gilmour (JG), Stephen Hume (S. Hume), Ally Gray (AG) Caroline Cooper (CC) and Stuart Thomas (ST) Action Point

Responsible

Completion Date

Speak to Dougal Perman about the SAY Awards highlight reel.

CC

9 August

Contact ST with possible sponsors for the music hack event.

All directors

10 August

Contact ST with all contributions, suggestions and feedback on the operations manager report.

All directors

Ongoing

CC will circulate the draft master budget to the board for sign off.

CC

8 August

CC will circulate the new member rates to the board for sign off.

CC

8 August

Contact CC with companies to be added to possible affiliates list.

All Directors

14 August

Contact Rubadub Records, Monorail and LOVEmusic to discuss a Christmas Record Fair in Glasgow.

ST

21 August

Contact ST with suggestions of who should be All directors approached to be involved in the international strategy consultation.

21 August

Begin discussion with agents in the US.

JG

31 August

Contact ST with suggestions for topics, guests, venues, etc for the next six monthly music meet ups (through to March 2013).

All directors

21 August

Meeting to discuss requirements for the new website and produce a sitemap.

JG, S. Hume & GK

24 August

Members list broken down into industry sectors.

CC

9 August

Think about the best way to implement a ‘Scottish Music for Scottish Companies’ campaign in Scotland.

All

31 August

Follow up with Kev (Avalanche)

S.Henderson

31 August

1. Apologies Richard Chater (RC), Caroline Winn (CW), Caroline Gorman (CG), Greg Kane (GK), Dougal Perman (DP), and Douglas MacIntyre (DM) 2. Minutes of last meeting The minutes of the last meeting were approved.


3. Matters arising Music Hack ACTION – Directors should contact ST with suggestions of possible sponsors for the music hack event by 10th of August.

4. Operations Manager update ST briefly went over the operations manager update which he had sent to the board prior to the board meeting. ACTION – Directors should contact ST with all contributions, suggestions and feedback on the operations manager reports on an ongoing basis.

5. Finance update AG and ST gave a brief update on the company’s finances. ACTION – CC will circulate the draft master budget to the board for signoff by 8th August.

6. Sign off new Member Rates ACTION – CC will circulate the new member rates to the board for sign off by 8th August. S. Henderson produced a list of potential affiliate members / friends / financial supporters out with the music industry. ACTION – Directors should contact CC with other suggested companies to be added to the list by 14th August.

7. Label Fairs – Way forward S. Henderson congratulated ST and thanked him for his hard work on the Independent Label Fair which took place on the 4th of August. S. Henderson suggested that future record fair’s could be held in smaller towns that have little or no music retail presence. The fairs could take the form of Music Industry Roadshows with everyone involved hiring a bus and visiting two towns in one weekend.


The board and ST discussed whether the SMIA should host a Christmas Label Fair. S. Hume suggested Tollbooth as a possible venue for a Christmas Fair outside the central belt. ACTION – ST will contact Rubadub Records, Monorail and LOVEmusic to discuss the possibility of having a Christmas Record Fair in Glasgow by 21 st August. 8. International Discussion Paper ST gave an overview of the paper and the stages involved in creating a new international strategy. ACTION – Directors should contact ST with suggestions of who should be approached to be involved in the consultation by 21st August. JG suggested inviting agents from the US to be involved in the international showcasing committee with the premise that they know their own market well and may be valuable when selecting artists to go to the US. The agents involved would be asked to provide a yearlong itinerary which would help artists secure twelve month US visas. ACTION – JG will start the discussion with agents in the US by 31st August. 9. Music Meet Up Ideas ST stated that there will be a morning meet up based around Social Media Week at the end of September. ACTION – Directors should contact ST with suggestions for topics, guests, venues, etc for the next six monthly music meet ups (through to March 2013) by 21st August.

10. AOB Website ACTION – JG, S.Hume and GK will meet to discuss requirements for the new website and produce a sitemap by 24th of August.

Avalanche email Kev from Avalanche emailed S. Henderson with his idea of promoting Scottish bands to record stores abroad and forging links overseas. ACTION – S. Henderson will follow up by 23rd of August.


Campaign to Promote Scottish Music to Scottish Companies S. Henderson made the board aware of the Welsh Music Foundation’s Campaign encouraging wider use of Welsh music in Welsh media and everyday life. ACTION – Directors, CC and ST will have a think about the best way to implement such a campaign in Scotland by 31st August.

The meeting ended at 12:15pm.


August board meeting minutes (07 08 12)