Page 1

The easy guide to making a complaint We are committed to ensuring access to information for everyone. If you need this information translated into another language or you require an audiotape, Braille or large print version, please tell us. Registered under the Industrial & Provident Societies Acts (No 1933R(S)) Charity registered in Scotland (No SC 032782) THIS LEAFLET IS PRINTED ON RECYCLED PAPER

Who is this information for? This information is for people receiving services from us who may wish to complain

What is this information about? It explains our policy on how we deal with complaints What is in the Complaints Policy? This policy tells you: 1. The difference between an informal and a formal complaint 2. How you can make a complaint 3. How we deal with complaints 4. How we treat complaints 5. How we monitor complaints

How you can make a complaint You may make a complaint in 2 ways; these are informal complaints and formal complaints. Informal Complaints are where you initially try and resolve the complaint by telephone, letter, email or face to face with the relevant member of staff and/or their Manager. You can do this or get someone else to do it for you. The member of staff will then tell you what will be done in response to your informal complaint. If you are still unhappy with the response from us you can then make a formal complaint. Formal complaints are where our Complaints Policy is used. If you want to make a formal complaint then it should be done in writing or by email. If needed we can take a statement if you want to complain in person. We will also take complaints on your behalf from another person - this can be a friend, family member or someone you choose to represent you.

How we deal with Formal Complaints All complaints are dealt with conďŹ dentially. When you make a complaint it will be acknowledged within 3 days. The complaint process has 3 stages to it Stage 1: your complaint will be passed to the relevant Head of Department who will investigate and reply in writing to you within 10 working days. If you are not happy with their response at this stage you may then ask for it to go to stage 2 Stage 2: Your complaint will be dealt with by the Chief Executive who will also investigate and reply in writing to you within 10 working days. If you are still not happy then you can ask for it to go to stage 3 Stage 3: Your complaint will be dealt with by an Appeals Panel of our Management Committee normally made up of the Chairperson of the Management Committee and 2 other members.

If you’re still not happy with the outcome of your complaint after stage 3: You can complain to the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman and/ or the Care Commission if you are in receipt of our housing support service. To complain to the Scottish Public Service Ombudsman you need to write to them at 4 Melville Street, Edinburgh EH3 7NS or SPSO Freepost EH641 Edinburgh EH3 0BR Tel: 0800 377 7330 Text: 0790 049 4372 Fax: 0800 377 7331 Email: Web: To complain to the Care Commission you need to write to: The Care Commission Compass House 11 Riverside Drive Dundee DD1 4NY Or call 0845 603 0890 or visit

Outcome of a Complaint We would hope that you are happy with our response and where it is necessary an apology would ďŹ x the problem. We may offer ďŹ nancial compensation if you have suffered actual loss of money due to delay, negligence or inadequate action by us. How we treat complaints All our staff are trained on how to handle complaints sympathetically and effectively.

We will treat all complaints equally and will not prevent anyone from making a complaint regardless of their gender or marital status, race, colour, disability, age, sexual orientation, language or social origin, or other personal attributes, including beliefs or opinions, such as religious beliefs or political opinions.

Monitoring We review each complaint to identify lessons which might be learned for future service delivery or require a change to our policies or procedures. We monitor all complaints by giving reports on outcomes to our Management Committee A full copy of our Complaints Policy will be provided on request.

k:/corporate/pr/publicity info/leaets_documents/on invu/complaints/compaints 2010.indd

Complaints Form Name Address (include at position) Telephone Number E-mail Details of Complaint (continue on another sheet if you need more space)

Where and when did this happen?

How would you like to see your complaint resolved?


Return to Thenew Housing Association, 83 Green Street, Calton, Glasgow, G40 2TG For ofďŹ ce use only: Resolved informally Ack Date

Interim Reply Date

Reply Date


Further Action

Passed to

Stage 1 Stage 2 Stage 3 Follow up call

The easy guide to making a complaint  

easy guide to making a complaint to Thenew