ASK An ENTREPRENEUR 1) How long have you been in business? The Love, Mich Collection was born in June 2008 with the now best selling product, the Coffee Cozy. Over the last five years the collection has expanded to include women’s handbags and clutches as well as custom bridal gifts.
2) Why have you chosen to dedicate yourself to this particular business/industry? It has always been my dream to work for myself. I’ve loved fashion since I was a little girl and had an obsession with purses and accessories. It seemed only natural that my desire would be to design and create my own fashion line!
3) What makes business/product unique? What makes The Love, Mich Collection and our products unique is that everything is handmade. In a world of so many items being mass-produced it is a special thing to have a handmade product and feel that connection with the artisan. Another thing that makes our collection unique is that I try to find unusual but awesome prints and patterns that few others would think to use making for a really amazing product. 4) You could have worked for anyone and would have been successful, why become an entrepreneur? I’m not sure there is anything better than working for yourself. It is
both terrifying and exhilarating at the same time. I like being the one who makes the decisions and having no one to answer to. The success of this business lies on my shoulders alone and I wouldn’t have it any other way.
5) What was your last, “why did I go into business for myself” moment? The last time I was up until 3 a.m. sewing to finish orders just to sleep for three hours, get up and do it all over again! I am a perfectionist about my products so it is difficult to hire help in that area of the business.
6) Every female professional should have __________. Pride! Being an entrepreneur is hard work and we often forget how much we do and how far we’ve come. Take a minute to be proud of your successes!
7) If you could steal some business mojo from another mogul, who would it be and why? Martha Stewart. She built and continues to build an incredible empire on reportedly less than four hours of sleep a night. I wish that I could function that well on that little sleep!
8) What is your business motto? “Good things come to those who HUSTLE.” Success
Continued on next page
Michelle Provencher, founder and designer of The Love, Mich Collection Springfield, Mass. www.lovemichcollection.com www.facebook.com/ TheLoveMichCollection instagram.com/lovemichco twitter.com/love_mich www.pinterest.com/lovemich/
Images courtesy of The Love, Mich Collection
LIONESS OCTOBER 2013
For the Female Entrepreneur