6. Follow in Matt Damon’s bike marks by taking part in the world’s largest individually-timed cycle race, The Cape Argus Pick n Pay Cycle Tour. The first event outside Europe to be included in the International Cycle Union’s Golden Bike Series, the Cycle Tour’s gruelling but gorgeous 109km route attracts around 35 000 cyclists in March every year.
7. Walk down Vilakazi Street in Soweto, south of Johannesburg, the only street in the world that has been home to two Nobel Peace Prize winners. Archbishop Desmond Tutu still lives on the street, while Nelson Mandela’s former home is now the Mandela Family Museum.
8. Sort for the treasures hidden in endless amounts of junk at Milnerton Market, an art directors’ dream with a panoramic view of Table Mountain and the highest characters-per-centimetre anywhere in Cape Town.
9. Visit Graham Beck Wines’ Franschoek Cellar Door facility to discover why Michelle Obama chose Graham Beck Brut NV to toast Barack Obama’s inauguration speech.
10. Take the rotating cable car up Table Mountain, which is one of the finalists to become one of the New7Wonders of Nature. If you’re fit, you can take one of the hundreds of walks to the top.
© Brett Rubin • Bird on a Wire / Models: Bao Hoa (Base Model Agency) & Justin Poulter (Trigger Models)
Award-winning annual marketing the South African film industry locally and internationally.