CONSULTANTS Lecturer Nguyễn Thúy Nga Lecturer Lê Phương Thảo Board of lecturers of Faculty of Foreign Languages Ms. Tôn Nữ Tường Vy EDITORIAL MANAGER Nguyễn Trúc Phương
DEPUTY EDITORIAL MANAGER Chu Thị Như Trang
WRITERS Đặng Phương Thảo (L1) Quách Minh Minh Trần Nguyệt Minh Phạm Ngọc Tuyết Phan Thị Kiều Trinh Đoàn Phương Hạnh Nguyễn Thị Huỳnh Nhi Nguyễn Thị Ngọc Vân Nguyễn Thị Ngọc Bích Nguyễn Thiện Phước Nguyễn Quốc Vũ Lê Thống
DISC OVER Y RTU OPPO
NITY OPEN VOICE
ORLD LEARNING W PUBL I
C AD CL
MEDIA – MARKETING Trần Phú Cường (L) Lê Lập Đức Nguyễn Nhật Phụng Văn Xuân Hiền Lê Thùy Dung
FINANCING Lê Thị Kim Nhi (L) Bùi Thị Phương
HUMAN RESOURCES Nguyễn Trúc Phương (L) Trần Thị Thảo Trâm
Photographer: Nguyễn Thiên Quang Model: Thùy Vân - Bích Hạnh Designer: Trần Phú Cường All replies, collaborations – please send to: email@example.com Or www.facebook.com/theffljournal Contact: 0164 541 8952 (Như Trang)
HA ND S
EVENT Lâm Hoàng Thiên (L) Phan Thị Huyền Trâm Ngô Thị An
DRES S LI
02 - Our voice - Our reflection
“Richness, Happiness and Woman, what would you choose?”
I remember one day when I studied Civic Education at my secondary school. It was different from the usual classes: the teacher came to the class and assigned a topic for the students to discuss in groups, “Richness, Happiness and Woman, what would you choose?”.Although having been puzzled by the seemly hard, strange or even odd question, as some students said, they still tried to give convincing opinions. Among three options, the third option, woman, received no choice. After a half-an-hour hot debate, the teacher didn’t give the direct opinion but telling a story: In a remote village, there is an old man living with his grandson. One day, a stranger knocked on the door and asked to come in their house. - Who’s that? – The grandson asked. - I’m RICHNESS. – He answered. - Can we allow him to come in, grandfather? – The grandson asked. - I have you, and you have me in our lives. We are rich, aren’t we? No need to welcome him. The day after, another stranger did the same thing. He was HAPPINESS. - We live happily together. No need to welcome him. – The grandfather said to the grandson. The third day, a stranger named WOMAN asked to come in. - I guess that we don’t need to welcome her either. – The grandson told the grandfather. - No, boy! We have to welcome her, because RICHNESS and HAPPINESS will exist wherever there are women. Bottoms up for our women. Happy Women’s Day
03 - Our voice - Our reflection
Nguyễn Trúc Phương
VERY Don’t ask, ”Why do you love me?” DISCO
… Boys love with their eyes and girls love with their ears, don’t they? “…. never this universal truth changes…” Do you think so?
When a boy says that you are pretty, that your eyes have stars, that your smile is like angel’s, you go home feeling so joyful because of those compliments.
When a boy says that your soul is rich and tolerant, that you are so kind and sensitive, surely you go home with solid thought that he is the one who understands you the best and he will be the one you can share any emotions. When a boy says that he is so in love with you, when he says that you have stolen his soul at the first sight, and you are the one who makes him think vaguely or sometimes smile like a nut…
A girl asked her boyfriend, “Why do you love me?”“Why do you ask me about that? How can I find any reasons?" he said.
"That you have No reasons why you love me means you do not love me." "You cannot deduce like that." “Fine, I love you because you are so beautiful, smart and nimble. I love you because of your smile and your optimism. I love you because you always care of people." The girl felt so pleased. After few weeks, she had a terrible accident but fortunately she was still alive. Suddenly, she became gruff because she felt so useless. Having recovered a couple of days later, she got a letter from her boyfriend.
04 - Our voice - Our reflection
C S I D
Y R E OV
"Dear honey. I loved you because you were beautiful. But now with the scar on your face, I cannot love you anymore. I loved you because you were smart but now you cannot do anything, so I cannot love you anymore. I loved u because you were nimble, yet you are now on the wheelchair, which cannot make me love you. I loved you because of your smile, however, I cannot love you anymore because now you always cry and complain. I loved you because you cared of people but now, people have to care of you. I should not love you. Well, you have nothing that can make me love you, but I am still in love with you. Do you need any other reasons, baby?” The girl understood everything, burst into tears and she absolutely did not need any more reason. The girls should remember that although the boys may love with their eyes, it does not mean that they only like your beauty. They see what you do and your soul in order to love you more. The boys should keep in mind that although the girls may love with their ears, it does not mean that they only like sweet words. They could also listen to your honest words - what you say to everyone else - so that they know who you really are, in order to understand, commune and love you more. This is really the reason why people say that boys love with their eyes and girls love with their ears.
05 - Our voice - Our reflection
NGÔ THỊ AN
It’s the simple things that matter
Gender equality has always been a popular topic for discussing. It is usually about the position of women in modern society, or how they are treated differently compared to the opposite sex. College students may find it hard to relate to those topics since they are not often involved in similar situations. Therefore, this article aims to give you a clearer look at the issue with various small examples that, surprisingly, happen everyday. Pink and blue
Look at the advertisements for babies’ clothes on TV or in magazines; it is common that people give boys things in blue and girls things in pink. That also applies to babies’ toys or decorations for their rooms. You may think this is just a simple action, yet it could create a bigger problem: adults already draw a line to separate the two genders’ territories! It may sound like a petty thingy, but the truth is that many people still call a guy wearing pink “gay”, and parents do not usually allow their daughters to play with toy cars since they assume that the girls will become a dude! A note for you: Be more careful not to put people in unfair, restricted stereo types like Pink and Blue. Let us express our characteristics freely. Forever alone if we girls CANNOT cook
How many of you girls have been told that you will never find a decent husband if you have no cooking skills? And even if you found one, your food sucks and the husband’s family will kick you out! Women usually get stuck with the traditional role of a wife, which is absolutely unfair since she is judged based on limited criteria. This is nothing different to the annoying advert on TV where the mother tries her best to cook while her husband and child urge her to do it faster [!]. Why should we make our beloved people suffer like that? 06 - Our voice - Our reflection
A note for you: Men can cook and women can fix a light, too! Share the chores with each other, respect their efforts, and be grateful for the love they bring to you! Now counting: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 lovers!
Dating is not something to hide in the dark anymore. Some people even encourage others to date freely, because it may help you to be more mature. That opinion is debatable, anyway. What should be focused on here is the attitudes given to the two sexes dating in this way. Guys who date many girls could be seen as a charming lady-killer; whereas, girls who date many boys could be regarded as being “too easy”, “too sly”. Somehow, the old rule in which girls should be loyal and guys could have up to five wives is still such an influence. And it is a negative influence considering the fact that both genders have their own rights and responsibilities over their actions and the consequences they might get. A note for you: Judging people just by a part of their lives could lead to misunderstanding; judging people based on their genders only could lead to unfair treatment. This article is not only dedicated to the female students, but also to the male. Every little thing happens around you could hold many meaningful stories; open your heart and you will understand. Nhật Phụng
07 - Our voice - Our reflection
Try answering these multiple choice questions below to test how good you are at understanding English Idioms!
Find the meaning of the bold idioms! 1. Tom‘s really a happy man! Why do you say that? He‘s just married a woman of means.
3. - I think she must have some troubles on her way, so she comes late. - I think so. She is a woman of her word.
2. You’ve been living with Jean for five years, isn't it time you made an honest woman of her?
A. A beautiful woman. B. A kind woman C. A rich woman D. A healthy woman
A. A quick woman B. A talkative woman C. A woman who always keeps her word. D. A severe women
A. Say goodbye to her B. Have baby with her C. Build a house for her D. Marry her
1. C. A woman of means: She has a lot of money. 2. D. Make an honest woman of her: if a man makes an honest woman of her that he is having a relationship with, he marries her. 3. C. A woman of her word: a woman who keeps her promises.
08 - Our voice - Our reflection
Huỳnh Nhi Pictures: http://www.cuoihoivietnam.com
In this volume, you stand a good chance of testing out your skill. Solving the math problems and being Sherlock Holmes. Hope that you would be interested and have a relaxing time! Try it!
1) Between 1 and 9, name one number whose half is zero. 2) Take 9 from 6, 10 from 9, and 50 from 40 and leave 6. How come? 3) What seven letter word has millions of letters in it? 4) What two things can never be eaten for breakfast? 5) Anmol decided to give his bike 3 coats of paint. Which coat would go on the first? 6) A plane crashed on the border or US and Canada. Where do they bury the survivors? 7) A man is trapped in a room. The room has only two possible exits: two doors. Through the first door there is a room constructed from magnifying glass. The blazing hot sun instantly fries anything or anyone that enters. Through the second door there is a fire-breathing dragon. How does the man escape? 8) Imagine you are in a sinking boat and surrounded by sharks. How do you survive?
The answer key 1) Number 8 - You cut it horizontally into a half, and it would be a big fat 0. 2) SIX –9(IX)= S ; 9(IX) ¬¬- 10(X)= I ; 40(XL) – 50(L)= XðSIX 3) Mail box 4) Lunch and dinner 5) The second because it is the only coat that can go on ‘the first’ coat. 6) They don’t bury survivors. 7) He waits until night time and then goes through the first door. 8) Just quit imagining! 09 - Our voice - Our reflection
Collected by Huyền Trâm
DO YOU KNOW?
DO YOU KNOW: WHAT MEN LOVE ABOUT WOMEN
Shawn Smith, an American psychologist, made a public opinion poll for the question “What do men love about women?”. Here, in no particular order, are a few of the hundreds of things men told him they love about women. “What we like: your gentleness, your warmth, and yes, your bodies, and no, they don’t need to be perfect.”
“Women are closer to emotions, and I find that women represent beauty that you just cannot find anywhere else in the world.”
“I can talk to my female friends and be nurtured. Bro’s don’t nurture bro’s. We can talk and we can get deep and very real and practical, but all men come from women. That nurturing that we received as a baby imprints on us, and try as we like, we can’t get away from that.”
“One of the best moments with any woman is the first time you reach out to hold her hand and she reaches out to hold yours.”
“Their smell, soft skin, tender touch. Sometimes when you look in their eyes you can see all the way to their soul.”
“I love how they can counterbalance me and help me see things from a different angle. If they are wise, they can make me change my mind when I have become stove-piped in my thinking or actions.” 10 - Our voice - Our reflection
“And of course, their intelligence. An intelligent girl is worth the world and even more!”
“Compassion, the fact that they do show their emotions more publicly, their intelligence.”
“I enjoy the way they do not fear emotion. I love the way they live with open hearts. It makes them more vulnerable to feeling sad, but it opens them up to feel a level of contentment and joy beyond what I think men can. They just live on the emotional extremes. The ability to have high highs and low lows makes sharing a life with them both exciting and challenging.” “They’re not men.”
“Everything. The way they look, the way they talk, the way they think, the way they feel.” “Honestly? Their bodies. Testosterone is a wicked master.” “I like feeling useful to her.”
“I like that they let me protect, provide for and cherish them.” “Their bubbliness. Their empathy. Their willingness to love.”
“I love women. They are on the whole great to be with and make good friends as well. I can get things from a woman that other guys can’t give and I am thankful for all the things they do in our lives.”
Just some of their opinions were presented here, but it’s not hard to get the point. Men are lost without women after all.
The men also offered some practical tips for the opposite sex: “Women tend to deny every compliment guys give, and it just makes us want to not give them anymore.”
“Trust our answers and stop asking the same question repeatedly.” “Men need intimacy; men need quiet time; men need to bond with other men.”
“When a woman is proud of you for doing something well, it is a wonderful feeling. I don’t mind working 12 hours a day, but like a good dog, I appreciate a scratch and a ‘good boy’ at the end.... It annoys me sometimes how much I still want her approval, even though I am very successful at work and in other areas.” “A woman who laughs at my jokes makes me feel good inside.”
“We communicate through our actions more than anything. Women tend to make big deals out of even the smallest wrong said thing, but they should really be focusing on actions. I don’t get how me failing to comment on a haircut overshadows something like taking you out for a night on the town, or an especially emotional gift, or back rubs every night.” “One woman I know gets it. She told me that after 30 years of marriage, she knows how to make her husband happy: ‘Every so often I cook him a steak and take him up to bed.’ Yes, we really are that simple.”
“We love to help you! We really do. That’s what makes us trust our manly worthiness. Your wishes are our commands. We love when you depend on us.” Pictures: Photopucket 12 - Our voice - Our reflection
Chu Thi Như Trang (collected and edited)
Story Corner: I WISH YOU ENOUGH
Recently, I overheard a mother and daughter in their last moments together at the airport as the daughter's departure had been announced. Standing near the security gate, they hugged and the mother said:
"I love you and I wish you enough."
The daughter replied, "Mom, our life together has been more than enough. Your love is all I ever needed. I wish you enough, too, Mom." They kissed and the daughter left.
â€œWhen we said 'I wish you enough' we were wanting the other person to have a life filled with just enough good things to sustain them". Then turning toward me, she shared the following, reciting it from memory,
"I wish you enough sun to keep your attitude bright.
I wish you enough rain to appreciate the sun more.
I wish you enough happiness to keep your spirit alive.
The mother walked over to the window I wish you enough pain so that the where I sat. Standing there, I could see she smallest joys in life appear much bigger. wanted and needed to cry.
I tried not to intrude on her privacy but she welcomed me in by asking, "Did you ever say good-bye to someone knowing it would be forever?" "Yes, I have," I replied. "Forgive me for asking but why is a forever goodbye?"
I wish you enough gain to satisfy your wanting.
I wish you enough loss to appreciate all that you possess.
I wish you enough hellos to get you "I am old and she lives so far away. I have through the final good-bye." challenges ahead and the reality is the next She then began to cry and walked trip back will be for my funeral," she said. away. When you were saying good-bye, I heard you say, "I wish you enough." May I ask They say it takes a minute to find a special person. An hour to appreciate what that means?" them. A day to love them. And an enShe began to smile. "That's a wish that has tire life to forget them. been handed down from other generations. Chu Thi Nhu Trang (collected) My parents used to say it to everyone." She paused a moment and looked up as if trying to remember it in detail and she smiled even 13 - Our voice - Our reflection more.
YOU YOURSELF DECIDE WHO YOU ARE On a sunny day, we had an interesting interview with two beautiful girls. They are Lê Thị Thùy Vân, the student of Enhancement Training Program, who won the first prize of the Open University Open Charm contest, and Trần Bích Hạnh, the only contestant of the Faculty of Foreign Languages advanced to the final round. 1. While participating in the Student’s Charming contest, who did encourage you?
VAN: That is my mother. She always reminded me to smile merrily during the photo shoot. Moreover, I especially thank all my friends for giving me love and enthusiastic applause every time I was on stage!!
HANH: Besides having support from my family and my special one, FFL’s students also gave me such great cheer.
Interviewer: You seem so excited when talking about this contest… HANH: Absolutely! I used to be a shy girl. For some reasons, I used to lose my confidence when I went to university. . One day, I saw the announcement of the contest on Facebook, and then I decided to join it. Actually, I had never participated in any beauty contests before, and I really wanted to get my confidence back; therefore, I would like to challenge myself and do something new for my student life.
14 - Our voice - Our reflection
2. It is said that beauty makes women confident. What is your point of view about that?
HANH: Let me tell you about a girl in the Student’s Charming contest. While other contestants were ready for the photo shoot with makeup and clothing, she showed up with unready-made makeup. However, she was so optimistic that she felt no pressure. I think her positive thinking makes her relaxed; she gained confidence and did a great job on this photo shoot. Therefore, in my opinion, appearance is not important. Actually, you yourself decide who you are. Believe in yourself and you can do whatever you want. VAN: You know, actually, I don’t seem to be a confident girl but once I set a target I will definitely reach it. In brief, I dare dream and make it come true; it is my confidence. Beauty or appearance is secondary.
3. Do you have any plan for your career? VAN: After graduating, I will work for a company to get experience. Then, I would like to start my own business.
Interviewer: Speaking of running your own business, do you think that women have more disadvantages than men? VAN: Absolutely not, especially in communicating with customers, women are more likely to be gentle and wise; therefore, a woman should be a strict manager of herself, I mean self-discipline before controlling her employees. Interviewer: Hanh, your major is English, so do you have any plan for your future job? HANH: Well, I am going to be an English teacher in elementary school because I love children. Furthermore, I like to observe other people so that I can understand more about their characteristics. Somehow it helps me a lot in educating children. Sometimes, however, I lose patience and get angry easily. This is also one of my drawbacks that I need to improve. 4. On the occasion of women’s day, would you like to give best wishes for women, especially for the girls of our university? VAN: Hey girls, on the occasion of women’s day, I wish you best of luck and success in your life. HANH: May luck and happiness come to you. As long as you have confidence, you dare do anything. Đoàn Phương Hạnh Nguyễn Trúc Phương
15 - Our voice - Our reflection
The world is an awfully cruel and cold place to live in But I ind that Even when I to try to distance myself From feeling, There is still so much love in me That it is beginning to overfflow. It is like how the moon cannot keep The sun from rising every morning, Or how the tide Will always return to the shore: I can’t keep myself from loving you
There is a voice inside of you That whispers all day long, “I feel that this is right for me, I know that this is wrong.” No teacher, preacher, parent, friend Or wise man can decide What’s right for you-just listen to The voice that speaks inside.
S POEM The Three Oddest Words
When I pronounce the word Future, the first syllable already belongs to the past.
When I pronounce the word Silence, I destroy it. When I pronounce the word Nothing, I make something no nonbeing can hold.
Wisława Szymborska-Włodek, Translated by S. Baranczak and C. Cavanagh I Am the Messenger
"Sometimes people are beautiful. Not in looks. Not in what they say. Just in what they are."
Collected by Nhật Phụng 16 - Our voice - Our reflection
ND A H R E V CLE
Flan Cake Jelly
1. Ingredients: Flan cake 2 eggs 100ml sterilized milk 40g sugar 1/3 teaspoon of vanilla powder Jelly 1.5teaspoons of jelly powder 250ml water 100g sugar
2. Directions: For making the flan cake: o Stir sugar and vanilla into milk. o Break eggs into a bowl, whisk together just to combine, no need to whip the eggs, avoid creating foam. Then pour the eggs into the milk. o Over another bowl, run this mixture through a strainer in order to get a smooth combination. o Pour the flan mixture into ramekins. o Steam the ramekins of flan for 20 minutes. o Take them out, cool down and invert them onto plate. For making the jelly: o Boil 100ml water in a pot. Add jelly powder, stir well. o Pour the jelly mixture above in 150ml boiled water, add sugar and stir until it thoroughly dissolves. For completing the flan cake jelly: o Pour 1 thin lay of the hot jelly in ramekins. o Wait until this lay rather viscous, put the flan cake into the center of the jelly. o Cover the flan cake with another lay of the hot jelly. o Cool down and store in fridge. 17 - Our voice - Our reflection
TRáşŚN NGUYáť†T MINH
Declaring Love in Public
To love and to be loved are what everyone wants. But how to show someone’s love to their partner is still a hard problem. The older generation seem like they don’t want to show their love publicly because of their shyness and nervousness. However, what about the youth? Take a look at what HCMC Open University students think about “Declaring your love in public”.
In order to understand them more, I interviewed 30 students, most of them are in their junior year. To the question” Are you embarrassed about declaring your love in public?”, 40% of the students agreed that “they could get embarrassed”, another 40% of them said “whatever” and the rest “disagree”. Furthermore, some girls do like “declaring your love in public”:
“It could show the boyfriends’ characters – brave and romantic, but those who think it that way is not realistic, their love could be torn easily” – Tran (AV10A5)
“Declaring love on the street may cause traffic jam” – Bach Thi Nga (AV9A4).
“I may be so embarrassed but I will try to stay until the end because I don’t want him to be embarrassed. He is so great and brave, not many people like that, but I do NOT support that point-declaring your love in public.” – Ta Bich Tuyen (AV10A2).
Those are just some girls’ opinions. What about the boys’? They also have some interesting points of view here: “Ew, it’s complicated and they want to be famous?!!! They just want to be popular but it’s OK. That’s not my business so I don’t care” – Lap Duc (AV10A5). 18 - Our voice - Our reflection
What do girls think about that answer? A little bit curious about who that guy is? Or disappointed? Well, it is just his opinion. If you seek for a romance, remember there are many kinds of people in the world, so don’t be sad!
“Love is something amazing and just for two people who love each other, so there is no need to show it to other people.” – Anonymous guy. It seems like boys don’t want to show their love in public but girls want their lovers to be romantic.
“I am not confident enough to declare my love in public. It has both negative and positive sides. You can improve your public speaking skills and you may get support from the audiences. However, a girl may feel bad and then run away; as a result, you fail! Anyway, I will support anyone who wants to do that.” – Duan (AV10A5). Everything has two faces, including love. Someday if your life does not make sense to you anymore, you could just change what you can and try to be suitable for your life.
To conclude, declaring your love to your partner in public is really “DANGEROUS” in some cases. You could pay a “high price” for what you have done. So, boys, if you are definitely sure about your love and your girl’s feelings about you, just go ahead, be brave and act like a real man. And for a girl, DON’T bring “a deep sense of shame” on your friend, just smile, say “thank you” and ask them for one more day to answer if you don’t like him. It is easier to say no if there are just only two of you, right? Life is a bed of roses but it depends on how you behave. I hope these opinions could help. Best of luck!!! Văn Xuân Hiền
19 - Our voice - Our reflection
March 8’s presents for ladies HORROSCOPE
International Women's Day, March 8, is coming. If you are wondering about a present for your girlfriend, mother, sister or other beloved female ones, let us give you some exciting suggestions based on her zodiac!
1. Aries (21/3 - 19/4): Arians like to be a leader. They appreciate something unusual that can help them be outstanding from the crowd. Suggestions: unique designed handbags, new perfume bottle, sleek coat...
2. Taurus (20/4 - 20/5) Taureans are the practical ones; therefore, they hate the waste. They require the gifts to be beautiful and useful. Suggestions: sports shoes, skin care cosmetics, a cute hat...
3. Gemini (21/5 - 20/6) Gemineans are quite lively, cheerful and eager to learn. So, it is best to give gifts in sets, with both being diverse and useful. Suggestions: A stylish and tasty chocolate box, perfume, cosmetics...
4. Cancier (21/6 - 21/7) Cancerians are gentle, thoughtful, and subtle. You should give them decorative household items. Suggestions: Stuffed animals, bathrobes, nail polish...
5. Leo (22/7 - 22/8) Leonians are full of pride and straightforwardness. These girls often like to attract other people’s attention . That's why gorgeous gifts will gratify their haughtiness. Suggestions: A big stuffed animal, very showy bubble beam, boots, light-colored sweater... 20 - Our voice - Our reflection
6. Virgo (23/8 - 22/9) Virgoans pursue perfection and respect spiritual life. So, present them the items that are delicate and that could show your sincere feelings. Suggestions: Delicate makeup box, beautiful card with the loving blessing, bouquet of tulips or roses…
7. Libra (23/9 - 22/10) Librans are intelligent and rational. They like things that could bring the sense of peace and balance. So, when considering giving them a present on this day, you should not ignore things in beauty and harmony. Suggestions: Feminine shirts, lovely backpack, exquisite and decorative drinking glasses… 8. Scorpion (23/10 - 21/11) Scorpions are full of spirit of learning, and like exploring the world. Present them books, especially ones with interesting topics. Suggestions: Detective novels, books about the excitement of the natural world... 9. Sagittarius (22/11 - 21/12) Sagittarians are liberal and generous. They love to travel and hate being forced; therefore, small gifts which can express your love and which can help them satisfy their passion are very suitable. Suggestions: A bunch of flowers, a pair of gloves, instruments to travel, sports equipment...
10. Capricorn (22/12 - 19/1) Capricorns’ character has two sides: on the one hand, they are enthusiastic and positive, but on the other hand, they are cold and don’t like following the rules. For that reason, you should choose the gifts having symbolic meaning to give them. Suggestions: Ring, classic- style sunglasses... 11. Aquarius (20/1 - 18/2) Aquarians are pretty smart, cute, and attract many people of the opposite sex. To give gifts to Aquarians, you must pay attention to funny but romantic gifts; especially the unique ones. Suggestions: A fascinating book, universal handbook...
12. Pisces (19/2 - 20/3) Pisceans are gentle, sensitive, romantic, and dreamy. So give them the elegant gifts that are rich of emotions. Suggestions: Cooking kit, unique candles… 21 - Our voice - Our reflection
Just 50,000 VND for a trip to Unicorn Island
You like travelling. You want to have an unforgettable excursion. You are very curious about the daily activities along the Mekong River. You have time but not much money. How can you satisfy your desire and lower your excursion cost? Here are some recommendations for experiencing Unicorn Island in Mekong Delta from the FFL Journal. Unicorn Island (Ben Tre province) is a beautiful and interesting part of Mekong Delta. In recent years, this area attracts a significant number of foreigners, but not many domestic tourists. Apparently, we often look forward to somewhere far away, or many of us are afraid of getting there by motorboat or spending lots of money for transfer. Don’t worry! There is a direct roadway by passing Rach Mieu Bridge, which is easily accessible by motorbike, scooter, bus or motor boat.
How can we get there?
The distance between Saigon and Unicorn Island is about 85km. taking you 2 hours to go there. Travelling by scooter is obviously the best choice to save money – just 100,000 VND per person (round trip). To save the cost most effectively, you should have a fellow-traveler to cut it down to 50,000 VND. This is also the reason why Unicorn Island is recommended, but not Dragon or Phoenix or Turtle Island. It is the only island that allows travelers to get there directly by scooter by passing Rach Mieu Bridge. For others in Mekong Delta, you have to spend a large amount of money (how much?) to board a wooden motorboat to go. Unicorn Island definitely is the most suitable destination for students’ pocket.
22 - Our voice - Our reflection
What could we do at Unicorn Island? Some suggestions:. Camping or picnicking on the green land– the kingdom of coconut trees and enjoying sight-seeing Visiting many kinds of orchards: grapefruit, mandarin orange, etc and get a chance to taste them all Witnessing coconut candy and handicraft production process Getting on a horse cart in the countryside or rowing and enjoying peace Fishing crocodiles Enjoying traditional folk music Tasting honey tea … I hope you will have a great backpacking tour with the natural and peaceful views of Unicorn Island... Trần Thị Thảo Trâm
1. Starbucks Opening First Vietnam Café Starbucks is a famous coffee brand which is welcomed and loved globally. Vietnamese coffeelover has been waiting for it for a long time. Finally, in early February, Starbucks's first store was officially opened in District 1, HCMC, at the intersection of the bustling Phu Dong Street. Starbucks sells and serves a variety of beverages including drip brew coffee, espresso-based hot drinks, other hot and cold drinks, snacks and items such as mugs and coffee beans. Many of these products are seasonal or specific to the locality of the store. Coming here, you will have a chance to experience the special space which only Starbucks owns. Although the price is quite expensive, this beautiful coffee shop is definitely worth your visit! Address: 76 Le Lai, Ben Thanh Ward, District 1.
23 - Our voice - Our reflection
2. Yesterday Coffee A familiar address of the fans of instrumental music, especially piano music, is Yesterday Coffee. It is located at 35 Nguyen Dinh Chieu, District 1. At Yesterday Coffee, you could relax with the symphony of various instruments like piano, violin, xylophone …, pouring out the sorrow, torment, and worries inside your mind. This is an ideal place to be with your group of friends, because the prices are not very expensive, just about 40,000 VND.
Open Charm 2012
On Thursday’s night (January 10th, 2012) the final of the contest Open Charm 2012 took place at 97 Vo Van Tan, District 3. After one month, eighteen excellent candidates who had passed the preliminary multiple-choice and talent rounds got chosen to the final. The dance “Đôi cánh mặt trời” (Sun Wings) with the performance of 18 candidates made the competition exciting at the beginning. The contest officially started with the 18 candidates divided into 9 pairs with 9 gentlemen and 9 ladies. After the two clothing rounds, the jury chose 10 candidates to continue the last round – the interview. What the candidates shown in this round was really impressive. They answered the questions cleverly and fluently though they did not have much time to think. Finally, Ms. Lê Thị Thùy Vân and Mr. Nguyễn Ngọc Danh, who are the students of Enhancement Training Program, were crowned the 2012 Miss and Mister of HCMC Open University.
Besides the performances of the candidates, the audience also had a chance to meet two famous people who were former students of Open University, Phan Ngọc Luân and Bạch Công Khanh. The Open Charm contest, organized once every 4 years by the Faculty of Special Training, has been enthusiastically supported by the students of many universities in HCMC. With the slogan “Open heart – Open mind”, this contest is a playing ground of knowledge and beauty. Ngọc Vân
The warm spring arriving at Tam Hiep, Tien Giang
On January 11th, nearly 40 students of The Faculty of Foreign Languages took part in the Volunteer Spring Campaign in Tam Hiep commune, Chau Thanh district of Tien Giang province. Although the campaign took place in just about 3 days, our volunteers devoted their entire efforts and the community spirit of youth to bring spring for the local people. 24 - Our voice - Our reflection
After the three short days, the volunteers held successfully the program “The Children’s Festival” for the pupils of The Tam Hiep A primary school and presented 10 gifts to encourage those who have overcome difficulties to learn well. Besides, we built a road leading to a family who is in difficult circumstances, held the “Traffic Safety” contest, exchanged art with the local youth, and did some singing and dancing performances to welcome the new spring. On the last day, we presented gifts for the 12 households of Heroic Vietnamese mothers, including the families who are under preferential treatment policy. The campaign left an unforgettable impression in the local, and each student also had their own beautiful memories of the meaningful campaign. Huỳnh Nhi
1. UNESCO Essay Contest Every part of the world has its own culture. In order to build a peaceful world, we need to acknowledge and respect each other's cultures. As before years, this year, UNESCO held an Essay Contest with the theme: “THE POWER OF CULTURE TO CREATE A BETTER FUTURE." If you want to join please see the complete guidelines at http://www.goipeace.or.jp/english/activities/programs/1301.html. Deadline: June 30th, 2013. All prize winners will be announced in November 2013 on the Goi Peace Foundation web site (www.goipeace.or.jp) and UNESCO web site (www.unesco.org/youth). First prize winner will be invited to Japan for the award ceremony. For inquire, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 25 - Our voice - Our reflection
2. Global photo contest "WORK4YOUTH" The ILO Youth Employment Program is organizing a photo contest to shed light on youth employment issues, the challenges young people face in the workplace as well as their power to overcome them. Its objective is to highlight the challenges young people face in the workplace. Photos submitted by participants should capture youth at work in a creative and original manner.
Deadline: April 15th, 2013 5 photos per participant
Registration form can be obtained here: http://www.ilo.org/legacy/english/regions/eurpro/budapest/entry_form_en g.doc For more information, please visit: http://www.ilo.org/employment/areas/ y o u t h - e m p l o y m e n t / w o r k- fo ryouth/photo-contest/lang-en/index.htm
3. Seminars in American Center – US Consulate General in HCMC Soft Skills Business and Professionalism Training Series: Pubic Speaking Skills Time: Friday, March 15, 2:00 p.m. Venue: The American Center, 8th Floor, Diamond Plaza, 34 Le Duan Blvd., District 1, HCMC Speaker: Mr. Ray Nayler and Ms. Anya Kutznetsova Join Mr. Ray Nayler and Ms. Anya Kutznetsova in learning how to become a confident, eloquent, and engaging public speaker.
4. Activities in English – “American Swing Dancing: It Don't Mean a Thing if it Ain't Got That Swing” Time: Wednesday, March 20, 5:00 p.m. Venue: The American Center, 8th Floor, Diamond Plaza, 34 Le Duan Blvd., District 1, HCMC Speaker: Chris Harvey, Guest Speaker Join Mr. Harvey in an exciting program to learn basic steps of American Swing Dance.
5. World Tuberculosis (TB) Day Time: Friday, March 22, 2:00 p.m. Venue: The American Center, 8th Floor, Diamond Plaza, 34 Le Duan Blvd., District 1, HCMC Speaker: Dr. Thai Le, CDC Program Officer World TB Day is a worldwide event that aims to raise public awareness of TB-related problems and the efforts made to prevent and treat this disease. 6. DVD English Fun Time: Wednesday, March 27, 5:00 p.m. Venue: The American Center, 8th Floor, Diamond Plaza, 34 Le Duan Blvd., District 1, HCMC Leader: Mr. Joshua Shen, Consulate Officer Join Mr. Joshua Shen in learning English through movies.
Như Trang and Ngô Thị An 26 - Our voice - Our reflection
Let’s give a big clap for 12 lucky readers who will receive the interesting and valuable books from the FFL Journal vol.7 1. ĐỂ TRỞ THÀNH SAMURAI TIẾNG NHẬT Phạm Thị An (ĐH11AV05) Phạm Minh Luân (XD10A3) Đinh Thị Hòa( DH11NB01)
2. GIÁO DỤC: XIN CHO TÔI NÓI THẲNG Chu Thị Diệu Linh (DH11AV06) Huỳnh Thiên Trúc (AV10A6) Nguyễn Thị Ngọc Bích( AV10A5) 3. -
RỪNG NAUY Nguyễn Thị YếnNhi (AV10A7) Nguyễn Ngọc VũUyên (AV10A4) Trần Nguyệt Minh (AV10A1)
Now we move on to the “menu” books for this volume ^^. The unlucky readers, who could not receive the books last term, please try your luck once again and remember to cut and send your vouchers as soon as possible to be the next lucky readers. Note: Please complete all the information in your vouchers correctly and carefully. Any carelessness is not accepted. 27 - Our voice - Our reflection
FLASH CARD “ẤY ƠI, TỚ MUỐN NÓI” Publishers: Alphabooks & Lao Dong Xa Hoi Price: 59.000 VND “Ấy ơi tớ muốn nói” is designed as postcards which hold different falling in love stories in order to speak for readers’ thoughts and feelings. This book is available at Alpha books - a bookshop with main product lines such as Alpha Biz (management), Alpha Edu (education and thinking), Alpha Omega (classics), Alpha Kid (for children), IMONE (literature). Website: www.alphabooks.vn ĂN VÓC HỌC HAY
Author: Đỗ Hồng Ngọc Publishers: Phuong Nam, Hong Duc Publisher& Hoa Sen University Price: 40.000 VND
“Ăn vóc học hay” is such a precious present for students, parents and those who always set their concerns on the growth and knowledge of their children. With this book, the gap of age, the difference in environment, life condition is minimized. Moreover, the author gently shares with us things which seem tiny, trivial but if we do not understand and practice right, we can get stuck in study, life, boringness and disappointment. Phuong Nam Cultural Joint-Stock Company, also known as Phuong Nam Cultural Corporation (PNC), is the leading company in trading products and services about culture and media. You can find more information about Phuong Nam’s services and products on their website: http://www.pnc.com TRƯỜNG CA ODYSSEY VỀ THỊ TRƯỜNG TỰ DO
Author: Ken Schoolland Publisher: Tri Thuc Price: 80.000VND It not only contains provoking and extraordinary ideas, but also remindsus about those attractive ideas about open market in a perfectly humorous way. This book is available at Publisher of Tri Thuc– where scholars, researchers and students can trust their quality, focus on spreading great trends of both classic and modern thoughts. This book is available at Publisher of Tri Thuc whose quality scholars, researchers and students can trust. They focus on spreading great trends of both classic and modern thoughts. Website: www.nxbtrithuc.com.vn Hoàng Thiện