Page 21

The Examiner


Blue Springs City Guide 21

COMMUNITY LICENSE: FROM PAGE 20 To register a vehicle for the first time, bring lien release or manufacturer’s statement of origin; notarized lien release; odometer disclosure statement; personal property tax receipt or statement of non-assessment; vehicle inspection; and proof of insurance. You’ll also need to fill out a form. If the vehicle was previously registered in another state, you’ll need to bring the original title. Non-resident active duty members of the U.S. Armed Forces and full-time, out-of-state college students attending a Missouri school are not required to register their vehicle in the state. Vehicles no longer need a safety inspection for the first five years after manufacture. Not all forms to title a vehicle can be downloaded. Some must be requested from your local license office or ordered online. Visit http://www.dmv. com/mo/missouri/vehicle-registration for more information. Temporary permits are issued for 30 days. Registration must be renewed annually. The Department of Revenue notifies vehicle owners by mail when their registration is about to expire. Renew online at or at your local license office. Alternatively, send renewal form and payment to Motor Vehicle Bureau, 301 W. High St., Rm. 370, Jefferson City, Mo. 65101. Drivers need a safety inspection for older vehicles, a paid personal property tax receipt, insurance card, the correct license fee and a registration fee of $3.50 for one year or $7 for two years. New, enhanced anti-theft tabs now include the vehicle’s license number on the sticker itself. If your tabs are still stolen, submit a police report, application for replacement tabs and a processing fee. Visit missouri/vehicle-registration-renewal for more information.


Couples can obtain a marriage license at the Courthouse Annex Recorder of Deeds Office, 308 W. Kansas Ave., Ste. 104, Independence. The office is open Monday through

Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., though applicants are asked to apply prior to 4:30 p.m. to allow time for processing. Applicants must be 18 years of age to marry without parental consent. A custodial parent may give permission if the applicant is 15 to 17 years of age. The parent should bring proper identification – a driver’s license is acceptable – and a birth certificate for the child showing the parent’s name. Couples must appear together at the Recorder of Deeds office. They will need their Social Security numbers and proper identification. Acceptable forms of identification include a valid driver’s license, Missouri ID, U.S. passport, foreign passport with visa or U.S. entry stamp, military ID, certifified copy of U.S. birth certificate with photo ID or government ID card. Divorced or widowed applicants must provide the month/year the last marriage ended. The cost is $50 and may be paid with cash, credit or debit. American Express cards are not accepted. Certified copies of the marriage license are available for $10 and may be required by the Driver’s License Bureau and Social Security Administration to effect a name change. Marriage licenses are valid for 30 days following the date of issue and must be returned to the Recorder of Deeds. For more information, call 816881-1577.


Neither the State of Missouri nor Jackson County recognizes civil unions, but individuals who wish to register their private union may do so at the Courthouse Annex Recorder of Deeds Office, 308 W. Kansas Ave., Ste. 104, Independence. The registry provides public recognition of a relationship and may be required to fill health insurance eligibility requirements. There is no fee to register a civil union.

Hunting/fishing licenses

Missouri residents need permits for most hunting and fishing in the state. Hunters born after Jan. 1, 1967, must also complete an approved hunter education program to hunt with a

firearm unless they qualify for an exemption. Children under the age of 15 do not need to complete a hunter education program if they are under the supervision of a licensed adult hunter. Hunters should carry their hunter education card with them while hunting with a firearm or have their certification verified at the vendor’s computer terminal. Fishing permits are required unless the angler is fishing on privately stocked waters or qualifies as disabled under an exemption. Visit mdc. to learn more. Tags may be purchased for a day, year or lifetime. Trout tags must be purchased seperately. Different permits are available depending on the season and animal. An online system, https://www., allows hunters to pick and choose permits depending on what kind of game they will be hunting. Most permits cost less than $20. There is a $1 convenience fee for purchasing permits online. Permits can be printed at home. There is a $2 convenience fee for purchasing permits over the phone, 800-392-4115. Allow 10 days for delivery. Permits can also be purchased at the Kansas City regional conservation office, 12405 S.E. Ranson Road, Lee’s Summit, or at any authorized vendor.

For more information, visit www.


The Jackson County Sheriff’s Office issues concealed weapons permits at headquarters, 3310 N.E. Rennau Drive, Lee’s Summit. The office is open Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., though applicants are advised to arrive by 3 p.m. to allow adequate processing time. Permits cost $100, payable by personal check or money order as $33.25 to the Missouri State Highway Patrol and $66.75 to the Jackson County Missouri Sheriff’s Office. Applicants must be residents of Jackson County. Bring valid driver’s license, a non-driver’s license or military identification with orders showing assignment in Missouri to prove eligibility. Applicants will also need a copy their firearms safety training course certification, which should be provided by the instructor. Permits are issued for three years. Renewals cost $50, payable to the Jackson County Missouri Sheriff’s Office. Bring proof of residency. Delinquent renewals – applied for after the original permit lapses – will be charged a $10 per month penalty fee. After six months, a new permit must be issued. Call 816-524-4302 for more information.

• Utilities connections u Electricity and street lights • Kansas City Power & Light, all ZIP codes; 816-471-5275. u Water • City of Blue Springs utility billing, ZIP codes 64014 and 64015; 816228-0135 • City of Grain Valley Water Department, ZIP code 64029; 816-847-6200 • Jackson County Public Water Service District No. 13, ZIP code 64064; 816-578-2249 u Natural gas • Missouri Gas Energy, ZIP codes 64014, 64015, 64029 and 64064;

816-756-5252 or 800-582-1234. u Cable TV or telephone • Comcast Cable, ZIP codes 64014, 64015, 64029 and 64064; 816-7951100. • AT&T, zip codes 64014, 64015, 64029 and 64064; 800-288-2020. • CenturyLink, ZIP code 64064 south of Mason School Road; 800366-8201. u Sanitary sewer • City of Blue Springs, ZIP codes 64014, 64015, 64029 and 64064; 816-228-0135. –Jeff Martin

Blue Springs City Guide 2012  

2012 Guide to Blue Springs, Missouri