THE DEUX-SÈVRES MONTHLY
A-Z of the Communes in the Deux-Sèvres A-Z of the Communes of the Deux-Sèvres. by Sue Burgess CLESSÉ The village of Clessé is part of the Communauté de communes Terre de Sèvres. The inhabitants of the village are known as les Clesséens and les Clesséennes. At the time of the last census the population of Clessé was 923. The village boasts an infant and junior school. The river Cébron flows through the commune. The commune has a bakery and a new bar has just opened with newspapers and groceries.
revolution. The masses were very popular until the Republican authorities put a stop to them. • The ruins of Villegué The only part of this fortified house that is still standing is a large round tower with thick walls with arrow slits. There is also part of the main building with doors and arched windows. There is a pigeon loft at the back. • La Voie Verte The Voie Verte is the old Parthenay/Bressuire railway line. Nowadays it is a walkway for pedestrians and cyclists. The Voie Verte was opened in 2005 and is 30 km long. You can us it in all weathers. • The crosses and calvary There are many simple crosses and calvaries which are larger monuments. In the village centre on the road to Laubrecais there is a calvary which dates from a mission in 1868. Originally it was a wooden cross on a high base. In 1881 it was completed with five other statues. In 1892 the wooden cross was replaced by a cross in granite. The two side staircases were added in 1934. On the road to la Chapelle (route de la Gourbeillerie et la Gare) : The calvary of Peu was erected after the 1910 mission and a procession of over 2000 people. The calvary was built on a mill. It is 16 metres high with an 8 metre high cross.
A VOIR / MUST SEE • La Formnière Four beautiful mullion windows and three skylights light up the facade of this old manor house built in 1577. The crest of the Maynard family with a boar's head and a lion can be seen on the triangular fronton of the main door. The building still has some large chimneys. The Fortinière is a private property.
• Route de Parthenay and route d’Amailloux: An important ceremony was organised in 1945 for the inauguration of this calvary. • Route de Moncoutant and route de Boismé : A virgin on a stand. • La Roche Gabard This doorway is characteristic of the XVIIth century. It had a pedestrian doorway and a doorway for carriages. The archway was sculpted with the crest of the Menard family and the date 1688.
• Les Fréaux The small holding and the pond of les Fréaux b e l o n g e d t o t h e monks of the abbey of l'Absie from the middle of the XIVth century but the property was confiscated during the revolution and sold in 1793. The property is owned by the MENARD family who have three high quality gites and 15 fishing sites at the "logis et l’Étang des Fréaux". • Saint Ambroise Chapel The chapel was built in the XVIIth century and enlarged at the end of the XVIIIth century. The chapel is found in the middle of the fields a few hundred metres from the Clessé/Boismé road. It is close to a spring which is said to have therapeutic virtues. The water is supposed to heal headaches. During the revolution, secret masses were held in the chapel. They were celebrated by priests who did not agree with the
More ‘A-‐Z of the Communes of the Deux-‐Sèvres.’ next month...