Issuu on Google+

March Issue No 63




Chewin t Cud Volunteers


Drawing by Ronnie Neville

Strange happenings on Bodmin Moor I would like to tell you about something that happened in my life in the late sixties, which is absolutely true. While I driving for a firm called Rodewells at Wombwell, Mr Rodewell came to me one day and asked me if I would work on Sunday, there was a ships propeller to be delivered to Davenport shipyard and naval depot. It was I was told a destroyer propeller but it had to be delivered by eight am Monday morning. This seemed to me an easy run, but then he said you might as well drop me off some 6ft and 10ft boring drills at Hollmans in Camborne which is well into Cornwall. I thought Hollmans worked through the night so I can set off at about 6pm Sunday night and get to Davenport at 8am Monday morning, so that’s what I decided upon, I started my run at 6 o’clock, it was late January there was a covering of light snow on the ground which was nothing to worry about. It was already dark and when I got to Tinsley Viaduct and there was a young sailor on the hard shoulder thumbing a lift, I thought I had better pick him up because if the police came he would be in trouble, the lad was going to Plymouth to join his ship. I told him I would take him as far as Exeter because I was going into Cornwall on the top road then down to Plymouth, I had to go through Bodmin Redruth to get to Camborne. We arrived in Exeter at about 11 o’clock, the young sailor got out at junction 38 on the ring road, we said our farewells and I set off on the top road into Cornwall. This is where things started to get strange and weird. I started to feel a little tired. I passed through a little village and I can’t remember its name but the only light was a sign outside a pub called Judge Jeffrey’s, about two miles further on there was a fair sized layby on Bodmin Moor. I decided to have a couple of hours sleep, the snow was still light and did not worry me too much. There were two passenger seats and the driving seat and when you put the gear stick into reverse you could lay across all three seats. I locked both doors, which I can say were very difficult to lift the catches once they were locked and this is the most unbelievable thing, I awoke to find both doors wide open and a snow storm was blowing straight through the cab, I was covered in snow and it goes without saying I was absolutely terrified, I had to struggle to close both doors. I came off that layby like somebody chased by the devil. How I didn’t loose the propeller I don’t know. It was seven feet high built into a wooden frame and at a slight angle with a bundle of drills at each side of it. As soon as I hit the road I realised the snow was just a sprinkle like it had been all night, there was more snow in the cab than was on the road. I drove into Bodmin into the main car park, which was empty seeing it was the middle of the night, I then drove on to Camborne and delivered the drills and I got to Davenport just after 7.30 then back to Plymouth to pick up a load of china clay for the Star Paper Mill in Barnsley. I am nearly 79 and I can remember it as though it was yesterday. It was two and half days of my working life that I will never forget. Ray Meakin


Hi, I went to Pontefract Road Junior School in Cudworth, Barnsley in the 60's. I have been living in the USA for 30 years and have a photo of my old school class mates. I don't recall half of their names although I recognize their faces.

I wondered if you could help me, I've attached the photo and wondered if you are able to post it to see if anyone recognize them and can tell me their names. I was born in 1960 so I'm thinking the photo maybe from 67, but I'm not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated as it's so frustrating not remembering their names. Thank you. Gillian Goldthorpe PHOTOGRAPHS THAT YOU SEND FOR CHEWIN T CUD MAGAZINE. If possible can you please send the original photographs for Chewin t Cud Magazine publication. The reason is, if you send a copy of the originals the quality is not as good. If requested the original photographs will be returned to you (please send S.A.E.) With Thanks:- Malc Pierrepont 3

Golden Wedding Anniversary Alan and Jean Curtis. (nee Sissons). th

Married on 8 September 1962 at St. Johns Church, Cudworth. By: Father Brumpton.

Alan and Jean met at Barnsley baths in 1961, when Alan had completed his National Service as a chef in the army; ballroom dancing was held on a Saturday night in the winter on the superb maple sprung floor that was constructed over the drained pool. They are now celebrating 50 Golden years together and amongst their many varied hobbies and interests they both still enjoy going sequence dancing together. The couple would like to thank all family and friends for their good wishes, cards, gifts and charity donations. Thank You We at Chewin t Cud would like to tell Carol Handley how much we've appreciated her contribution to our magazine. Carol's poems have always been a pleasure to read and we know from our feedback that our readers have felt the same. We are very sorry that Carol is not very well and we wish both her and Raymond every good wish for the future. Please keep in touch. Hi Malc Can you please say a big thank you to all who responded to our request "what happened to Little Midge and the Zephyrs". Mike if you are reading this glad to know you're still performing. Well done for the hospice gig. Maybe we can get to hear you play again just let us know where and when your next gig will be. Patricia Walker (Lawery) and Jean Tomlinson (Draper) e-mail 4

Not Forgetting John John Francis, my husband for only a short time, passed away in August last year. He had worked since a boy and had been in the RAF for 35 years of his working life. At the time of his death, he worked at HMP Lindholme, Doncaster. He had been writing his memoirs of his life for some time and had recorded how satisfying his life in the RAF had been. Some of them are extremely moving. Attached is a short part of the journal. My next posting in 1994 was to RAF Sek Kong in Hong Kong. This was supposed to be the highlight of my career so far and my wife, Jan and youngest son, Andrew were looking forward to the posting as much as I was. The excitement of the travel, albeit 14 hours in BA cattle class, arriving late into a dark far eastern night with the multitude of lights from thousands of skyscrapers sparkling over the South China Sea was all a little unreal. Stepping off the plane, Jan thought that the engines were still running, it was so warm! Reality hit the very next day. What heat, what humidity, what smells and no air conditioning. If this was meant to be an example of British Empire improving the lot of the Orientals, then I felt ashamed to be British. The whole place, apart from the financial and business centres, was a shambles and many parts of the country were run down and derelict. Thousands of Chinese families lived in modified P&O containers. Piles of dead pigs could be seen at bus stops, normally just a few miles from abattoirs who would not take any pigs from loads where there was a dead one in case of disease. The council would collect these piles of dead pigs on a weekly basis. However, with the heat and humidity, a week can be a long time and it was not unknown for pigs to explode. The state of repair of roads also left much to be desired and during torrential rainstorms, large lumps of tarmac and concrete could be seen tumbling down mountain roads. Fortunately, I had an enjoyable, if busy job, as did Jan. Andrew had to travel 1 hour each way by bus to the British Service School, but was lucky to be in a class of only 6 pupils. This assisted his secondary education far more than any schooling back in UK could have done. I was placed in charge of Wessex engineering maintenance, with particular responsibility for 20 airframe and engine trade personnel. Our task was to ensure all 6 aircraft had sufficient maintenance life to enable them to remain in Hong Kong until the closure in July 1997. In February 1995 I was made the RAF Sek Kong Closure Project Officer. This entailed planning the rundown of the engineering facilities at Sek Kong and the gradual transition of men, equipment and aircraft to Kai Tak International Airport. I was also tasked with planning, organising and undertaking the transportation of a Wessex helicopter from Sek Kong onto a container ship bound for Southampton. The aircraft was flown to the docks and then, with a team of 4 men, prepared to a condition ready for a 6 week long sea-going journey. Once stripped and enclosed in a moisture resistant cover, I had to liaise with the Chinese stevedores to crane the aircraft into the hold. Altogether, the task lasted from midday until 3 am. In October 1995 I was informed that I had been selected for promotion to Flight Sergeant. . . . . . . Patricia Francis July 2012


Victoria Hotel, Blackpool Excursion - 1952

Can any reader recognise anyone on above photo Cudworth History Group Angela's Mobile Phone by Carol Handley Why do you keep Angela's mobile phone On the table by your chair. You know that she won’t phone you Because she really isn’t there. She can't phone you from heaven It's too far up in the sky.

You may have to wait a long time To give her your reply. The months are getting longer now And you’re learning to live alone. So put her mobile out of sight And use the telephone.

Olympic Torch near Cudworth. Seven year old Hannah Whitehead from Cudworth with Dorothy Hyman holding the Olympic Torch.


School House Names Reading the article about the Secondary Modern School first sports day, I was interested to see the names of the houses they had back then. When I moved up in the fifties, I seem to recall that there were five houses instead of the usual four. Red was Lawrence, Blue, Christian, Green, Grenfell, Yellow, Oates and we had a White house called Livingstone. These were obviously called after famous people of the past. After about six months the teachers obviously realised that most of the sports orientated boys had been put into Livingstone, which was uncanny really as we were from three different schools, so Livingstone was abandoned and we were all split up in to the other four houses. I remember that we had an inter house football competition and some of the boys that were playing, were doing so under sufferance because they were just not into football, but had to make up the numbers. I can hear Mr Curry now, saying,` Brown, you can play in goal can`t you? And Brown replying, `But sir, I don’t even like football`. `Well boy, just do your best`. The name has been changed to protect a really bad goalie. When sports day arrived, you were expected to enter at least two events. One boy who`s name I will keep to myself, did not enter anything at all. This was very unwise, because when the form teacher found out, he made him enter almost all the events possible. However, it did him a big favour, because he was quite good and he finished the day by winning the Victor Ludorum Cup, amassing the most points. I collected my great nieces Hollie and Maddie from school recently and they had a letter about their forthcoming sports day. It told parents which colour house they were competing in and asked if mum/dad would send them in the appropriate coloured tee shirt on the day. I thought, what`s wrong with a simple braid round your shoulder, but hey, it is over fifty years since I was at school and things have surely changed since then. The memory is not too bad though, for which I`m truly grateful. Regards to all, Howard Brightmore. Chewin t Cud Chewin T Cud is a quarterly magazine. Originally aimed at the community of Cudworth, a village in Barnsley, South Yorkshire, it is now read throughout the UK and the world. We have readers in America, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Singapore, Sri Lanka and Thailand, among others. The magazine was started in December 1996 with a pilot issue of 500 magazines. It was an immediate success and now has grown to 2,100 copies every quarter - all of which disappear very quickly!!! The committee responsible for the magazine also has the responsibility of raising the funding to cover the substantial costs involved. We always appreciate 'feed-back' from our readers - so please feel free. If you would like to submit an article for consideration for publication please e-mail to the address shown - If you would like more information or to receive copies of the magazine, do please let us know


Coronation Day Celebrations in Birkwood Avenue Margaret’s Story Around Coronation day in 1953, there were celebrations and street parties everywhere. Birkwood Avenue was no different. We lived on the “bottom green”, at 133 Birkwood Avenue. I was eight then, the youngest of our family of eight children, so some of my reminiscing is a bit vague. Most of us were born there, including eventually, grandchildren. As the Coronation approached, my mam Frances Parton, (“Biff,” wife of Apsie) would go to meetings with other mothers in the avenue, to organise the street party. It took some doing. The meetings were generally held in somebody’s home at the “top green”. I can’t remember if the meetings were for only the families living round the green, or including the families from the top green, the rest of Birkwood Avenue and Belmont as well, or whether they did their own organising. There were a few buntings and Union Jacks out, but in those days there were no lamp posts round the green, only gas lamps along the straights bits of the street, so little could be hung up, they had to be on the houses themselves and the few trees scattered around the green. I think this must have been where dads, granddads and big brothers came in useful. Cash was collected at the weekly meetings, discussions about finance, the celebrations, where to have the party, what time, what food and drink to eat, buy, prepare and cook, furniture and table cloths had to be organised, with games and prizes to be bought and decorations. Belmont also had their celebrations on the two greens, so I assume everybody in the Avenue was invited to one or the other. I don’t know who provided the tables and chairs, but there was enough to go round, cups and saucers probably came from every household. Of course, shopping for all the food and drink had to be done, but everyone pulled together to make it happen and with nobody having cars at that time, it had to be carried. We had the big teapot, of course, along with pop. The ladies nearby did us proud baking and preparing sandwiches with potted meat and fish paste. We had jelly in little waxed paper tubs with frilly edges and everyone took their own knife, fork and spoon with cotton round! I remember the party being set out on the green outside our house. We were all dressed in our Sunday best, but as with parties, food and drink got spilled on our clothes, especially the little ones who dribbled down their chins. Contingency plans had been arranged so that if it rained, the celebrations would continue in St Frances Church Hall on Darfield Road, opposite the Club. It rained. Everything including tables and chairs etc had to be taken up the street into the Church Hall, but we still all had a lovely time. I remember taking part in some of the games, including the 3 legged race, where 2 children’s legs were strapped together with old ties then they had to run as if they were one person. Then there was the egg and spoon race, with real hard boiled eggs – the egg had to stay on the spoon when you were running. We had the sack race, where we had to climb in a sack and jump the way to the finishing line and the skipping race. I won two prizes, a medal and a


little pink clock. All the children received a special Coronation coin as a keepsake, bought out of the collected cash. I still have mine. We had a lovely day and one to be remembered, as I have never seen the likes of it since. Margaret Jones June 2012 And Mac Says He remembers the rain too. In fact, the heavens opened when the food was put on the tables and a lot of the food was wasted, too damp to eat after that. They went up to the Church Hall wet through and when the rain stopped, the games took place on the playing field opposite Darfield Road WMC. He remembers winning a leather covered cricket ball. The Coronation coin was in fact a Commemorative 5/- piece (five bob) or a crown and in today’s money it is the equivalent of 25p. He was very proud of them both. Mac was about 12 at the time and he can’t quite remember if Ron, Brian, Gran and Tash - his other brothers were around for the party, as some of them were married, some were in the Army and his sister Shirley would probably be at home looking after her newish little girl. A crowd of fun loving lads did their own parade round the village. They included Mac, his brother Trevor, Morris Crossland, Pat Conway, Minti Harriman, his twin brothers Blackie, Hookey and another lad, who had the surname Lawton brought his drums. The lads managed to get some sort of musical instrument, drums, mouth organs, rattling things and “Tommy Talkers” – a long, metal thing to blow through which made a noise like a comb and tissue paper. It’s called a “Kazoo” these days. Some of the lads had dressed up and painted their trousers with red and blue strips, it must have been household paint, what other was there then? Off they went starting the parade outside the Church Hall on Darfield Road. They marched on towards the top of Snydale Road, playing their music, left down Barnsley Road and left again onto St John’s Road, Lunn Road and up Whitecross Road, where they turned back for home, by this time soaking wet, paint streaking everywhere. Mac says he only went as far as the Pinfold (the pub wasn’t there then) and came back, the weather was far too bad for him. Quite funny considering his job these days! Mac Parton, Margaret’s brother July 2012 Mr Viscount Robbery While waiting to be served, in a novelty shop, on the coast, a disgruntled woman had just bought her son an expensive vampire toy. Turning to me, she grumbled, “It’s Daylight Robbery!” “Daylight,” I mused, “Strange name for a vampire!” By Ronnie Neville 9

Tea in the Park 2012 This year’s event was almost cancelled because of persistent rain that had waterlogged the bottom of the park. Record amounts of rain had fallen in the preceding three months. The organisation responsible for the event, Friends of Cudworth Park, Cemeteries and Carlton Marsh, had undergone a name change to the Cudworth Environment Community Group a month or so before the event. At a final meeting on the Monday before the event it was decided to go ahead and hope and pray for better weather. However, on the Thursday a Council official told the committee that the usual site could not be used because of damage to the grass, but the event could go ahead at the top of the park as long as vehicles kept off the grass, failure to do so could result in the event - licence being revoked. It rained heavily again on the Friday and showers were forecast for the actual day, but as luck happened it was a beautiful, mainly sunny day. Cudworth’s own Olympic medallist, Dorothy Hyman, came along to open the event with the Crystal Lights Majorettes. Dorothy headed the procession around the park carrying the torch aloft for everyone to see, stopping to allow one elderly lady, in a wheelchair, to hold the torch before reaching the main arena. The event was duly opened by Dorothy and Councillor Wraith after which, she posed for photographs holding the torch. Dorothy was wonderful she spent the next three hours walking round talking to as many people as she could before her knees signalled it was time to sit and have a cup of tea and cake. Entry programmes were 50p each, which included some winning numbers. Money raised from programme sales will go towards next years Tea in the Park. There were two face painters, Liz, working on our behalf, never stopped and at only 50p the kids loved it. Refreshments were supplied by Mick and Lyn White and Sharon’s burger bar. Stalls included Chewin t Cud, Cudworth History Group, John Niland’s woodcrafts (right) and many more. For the children there was Tommy Taylor’s disco, bouncy castles, roundabouts and other amusements and a special area was set-aside for a display of Hawks and Owls. These included Snowy Owl, Eagle Owl, Goshawk and Harris Hawk. Children 10

were able to have their photo taken holding one of them which proved very popular. A young lady on stilts added more colour to the scene. Various stalls offering information on college courses included the WEA and Northern College. All in all it was a lovely day and a good time was had by all. From the feed back that I have had a lot of people seem to prefer the event to be at the top of the park. Cliff Gorman For Cudworth Environment Community Group 11

What Cudworth Men Did on Holiday

Back row left to right Harold Chappell | Jarvis Bagnall | Ron Yoxall | John Gray Front row left to right Bob Rowbotham | Jim Cauldwell - Standing, Eric Kirk YesterYear - Market Hill, Barnsley


Spot the Difference by Ronnie Neville (9 in total) answers bottom of this page.

Heath & John You Pick It We Fit It Domestic and Commercial Carpet & Vinyls Fitting Specialist Free, No Obligation Quotes All Work Guaranteed Fast & Friendly Service Heath John

0788 538 1645 0779 640 1776

Watch | Racket Handle | A in Ali | Signature | Ring | Sock | Button Sideburn | Crease in Pants 13

That Night Quite Peaceful So quiet So still was the night Nothing to see Not a glimmer of light So peaceful at night in a meadow Not a sound or a face could I see Things started to change just so slowly What is it What was it What change could there be Silence not broken Still and so quiet So gently falling but never were heard Alone So alone in this meadow With my thoughts all alone so it seemed Things just changing so slowly

In my mind or had I just dreamed So sudden the silence all shattered A sound from a distance I heard Loud Then so shrill was the calling Sounds from a Cock crowing loudly Then songs from so many birds Still dark was the night in this meadow Where the peace had been shattered that morn The Cock that's still crowing so loudly The herald that brings a new dawn What change could there be In this meadow of peace So quiet and so still in the night Millions had fallen But I never heard Not one falling Dewdrop that night

By Gordon Bird [Trevella Caravan Park Cornwall]


Dear ‘Chewing Cud’ This is just a short letter to say how much we thoroughly enjoyed reading the article, Ronnie Neville wrote about his memories of his dad, Ivor. When I read it out to my husband, he was moved to tears, a very beautiful and well compared meaningful piece of work. C Whitehead Cudworth Secondary Modern School – 10th Annual Reunion 2012 Once again our annual Cudworth Secondary Modern School reunion will be held at the Dorothy Hyman Social, Cudworth, on the 8th September 2012 and will commence from 7pm. I would like to invite everyone who attended the above school from the opening in 1935 until its closure in 1990, this includes all spouses and partners and all staff. So please come along and have a lovely evening with all your old friends and meet people you haven’t seen for ages. Best wishes to you all Terry Tindall - tel: 0794 678 1389 Dear Volunteers Really look forward to opening each issue - Keep up the good work. Chris Harvey 14

Dear Chewin t Cud Photo taken 1957, from left to right Anne ? | Maureen ? | Audrey Wassel | Joyce Taylor | Glenys Monks.

We were on holiday for a week in Great Yarmouth. All 5 of us worked in Monk Bretton making the well known Sooty Xylophones and push along toys etc. I believe the ‘Factory’ is now a football club, about 2 to 300 yards away from Monk Bretton Church on the left. Glenys, Audrey and myself all lived on Birkwood Ave, Cudworth. My brother, still lives in the house where I was born, 74 years ago on Birkwood Ave. He keeps me supplied with Chewin t Cud. Also nephew, Cliff and his mum, Hannah Gorman both live in Cudworth. I love Chewin t Cud and the school photos etc, gives me a great buzz and lots of good memories. Many thanks for a very good read and best wishes to the girls and anyone else who remembers me. Yours Faithfully Joyce Taylor PS:I am still Joyce Taylor, as I married Tony Taylor. We have two boys, one girl, nine grandchildren and six great grandkids 15

M e l l o r ’s N e w s a g e n t s Agent for

Berry’s Dry Cleaning

Newspaper Delivered to

Your Homes

Good Selection of

Greeting Cards

239 Barnsley Road Cudworth 16

Ne w El ect roni c Cigs fro m M ello r ’s Ne wsage nts 239 B ar nsle y R oad , Cud wo rth


Cudworth’s Oldest Resident The eldest known resident in Cudworth was Florence Carnley (nee Blackham) the eldest of 8 children. Florence was born at Wath on Dearne on 7th March 1894, but her family moved to Cudworth when she was 8 years old and lived at 352 Rugby Terrace. It was from there, at the age of 20, that she married 22 years old Cyril Carnley of 32 Kings Road, at St. John’s Parish Church on 7th July 1914. Cyril’s sister Agnes, Beatrice and Edna Pygott were bridesmaids. Florence and Cyril began their married life at 5 School Hill, but it was so infested with black-clocks that they moved to 5 Victoria Street where they had Edith on 27th August 1915, Agnes on 4th August 1921 and Eunice on 5th August 1938, they lived there for 40 years. In her younger days Florence, affectionally known as Daisy, worked as a domestic servant for the Florence Carnley Silverwood family, for a colliery manager and later for the Wesleyan Methodist Minister at the Manse. During the Second World War she worked in a munitions factory and later as assistant midwife to Nurse Hughes. Her husband Private 29692 Cyril Carnley fought in the Great War with the 2/7th Battalion the Royal Warwickshire Regiment from 1914-1917. He was shot in the chest, but a white, pearl cigarette case in his breast pocket saved his life. Then on 31st August 1917 he received a gunshot wound to his right thigh and was admitted at 22, to the General Hospital at Dannes Cameirs, near the mouth of the Somme. However, he made a full recovery and was demobbed in 1919 and came back to live with his wife and family at Rugby Terrace. As well as winning the Military Medal for bravery he received the preliminary Victory ribbon in May 1920 and in June the following year he received his British War and Victory Medals. Cyril had worked on the railway as a fireman, but after the war he worked as a dataller at Grimethorpe Colliery. He was a popular member of the British Legion and in his leisure time he Private Cyril Carnley frequented the Albert Club and the Industrial Club until his untimely death from acute septic pneumonia on 3 rd April 1947, aged 54. The funeral service held at St. John’s Church saw his coffin draped with a Union Jack and a guard of honour was provided by the local branch of the British Legion. 18

Daisy eventually moved into a flat on Darfield Road, but from the age of 96 she resided at Autumn Grange Residential Home, Huddersfield Road, Barnsley. It was there that she received a telegram from the Queen on the celebration of her 100 th birthday. Her two surviving sisters, three daughters and their children joined her in the celebrations. Towards the end of 1998 Daisy went into hospital for an operation after she had fallen and broke her hip in Autumn Grange. When she left hospital her youngest daughter Eunice acquired a place for her at Belle Green Nursing Home, Cudworth where she celebrated her 105th birthday on 7th March 1999. Daisy received another birthday card and warm congratulations from the Queen and Alistair Darling, the Social Security Minister. Sadly a few weeks later Daisy died of broncho-pneumonia and dementia on 8th May 1999. Daisy came from a family with a history of longevity, her father lived into his 90’s and her mother was in her 80’s when she died. Two of her sisters, Maggie Hargreaves and Phyllis Mallinson both lived into their 90’s. Daisy was the head of two-five-generation families; she had 3 daughters, 9 grandchildren, 14 great grandchildren and 10 great-great grandchildren. Her youngest daughter Eunice married Herman Taylor in 1958 and they had Roy and Kevin. I am extremely grateful to Eunice for supplying all the information for this story. Florence and Edith 1917 Cliff Gorman for Cudworth History Group What Are Senior Citizens Worth We are worth a fortune, with silver in our hair, gold in our teeth, stones in our kidneys and lead in our feet. Since I saw you last, a few changes have come into my life. I now have two gentlemen who come to see me each morning, ‘Will Power’ helps me to get out of bed in a morning, then ‘Arthur Ritas’ shows up and stays for the rest of the day. He doesn’t stay in one place, he moves about from joint to joint. Now the other day when the vicar called to see me, he said, ‘you know you should be thinking of the hereafter.’ I told him I do all the time. No matter where I go in the kitchen, the living room or even upstairs. I stand there and ask myself what am I here after. Extract from a church magazine in St. Laurence, Lanzarotte in 1997 Submitted by Joyce Taylor Help - Information Please Would like to hear from Johnothan Thomas Wilson born in Cudworth, Yorks in 1958 would like to reunite him with his father. J. Hepper 19

Carlton Marsh May – July At a committee meeting in June of Friends of Cudworth Park, Cemeteries and Carlton Marsh a decision was made to formalise the group and change its operating name to ‘Cudworth Environmental Community Group.’ Also during this period Carlton Community College pupils applied a preservative to the bird watching hide and carried out some scrub cutting in the meadows. The U3A wildlife group visited on the 14th of June and on the 17th of July representatives from the police, BMBC Regulatory Unit and Neighbourhood Services were given a guided tour of the reserve. On the 23rd of July BMBC Rangers erected a new barrier at the southern end of the railway embankment. The weather during this period was the worst in living memory with cool, below average temperatures, reduced sunshine hours and rain on many days, often torrential, causing flooding in many parts of the County. A breach in Cudworth Dyke on at least three occasions allowed millions of gallons of polluted water and debris into Carlton Marsh washing away the nests of wildfowl. All we could do was monitor the situation. It wasn’t possible to do any bird ringing because of the flood water and rampant vegetation. Wildlife of note in May included 2 Sand Martins on the 2 nd followed by 4 Buzzards and 9 Wheatears on the 6th. A Weasel was seen on the 10th and 13th as well as 2 Oystercatchers. A Marsh Harrier was hunting over the reedbeds on the 18th and 20th and our resident Mute Swans produced 2 cygnets on the 22nd, the first for 27 years. A shoal of about 30 Chub came up the dyke on the 26th and the following day 3 male Garganey were on the open water. Garganey (D.M. Smith) 20

A pair of Canada Geese produced 5 young and a male Cuckoo sang throughout and was sometimes accompanied by a female. Breeding song birds included Grasshopper Warbler, Garden Warbler, Lesser Whitethroat and Reed Warbler. Three sightings of Water Vole came right at the end of May, the first for six months. The highlights for June were, a Bank Vole on the 3 rd, a family of Coal Tits on the 9th, a Hobby on the 13th and 8 Mute Swans north on 15th. On the 17th 4 Little Owls included 3 young and a Barn Owl was quartering the Western meadow before dusk. A Common Shrew was found dead on the 18th, probably the result of a territorial dispute, and 3 Kingfishers were seen together on the 25th. In July 5 young Sparrowhawks were ringed on the 1st (4 females 2 males) in a nest at Carlton and a second pair produced 3 fledged young on the reserve, both sets of young fledged in the third week of July.

Sparrowhawk chicks (Jeremy Galvin)

Sadly we lost both our cygnets, the second one died after torrential rain brought down stinking, polluted water from a breach in the dyke. Two Daubenton’s Bats and 2 Siskins were present on the 12th and a Little Egret on the 18th was still present at the end of the month. Ringing recoveries from the British Trust for Ornithology were; Chiffchaff ringed at Carlton Marsh on the 31st of July 2010, as juvenile, and retrapped by a French ringer on the 12th of October 2010 at Trunvel, Treogat (Finistre) France 666kms SSW en route to its Mediterranean wintering quarters. This was our second Chiffchaff recovery and the first abroad. Another Chiffchaff ringed at Carlton Marsh as a juvenile on the 9 th September 2010 was retrapped at Ringinglow, Sheffield 10 days later on the 19 th September 2010, 30kms SSW. A Sedge Warbler, ringed at Carlton Marsh as a juvenile on the 17 th July 2011 was retrapped at Le Massereau, Frossay (Loire-atlantique) France just 28 days later on the 15th August 2011, a distance of 707kms South. This was our second Sedge Warbler recovery in France. Another Sedge Warbler ringed as a juvenile at Carlton Marsh at 05.40hrs on the 19th July 2011 was retrapped almost a year later at Wintersett Reservoir on the 2nd June 2012, a distance of 5kms. Fungi included Sulphur Tuft, Common Earthball, Brown Roll Rim and The Blusher. Only the latter is edible after boiling away the toxins for around 20 minutes. The railway embankment was awash with wonderfully scented wild flowers in June and July. The most striking were, Southern Marsh and Spotted Orchid, Hay Rattle, Wild Marjoram, Ladies Bedstraw and Hedge Bedstraw. The Recorder 21

Darfield Road, Cudworth T.A.R.A. July 2012 saw the Darfield Road Cudworth T.A.R.A. organise and hold a Diamond Jubilee Party to mark the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee.

The King, Terrel Green aged 7 and his Queen, Bethany Hall aged 11 whose birthday it was that day were there to greet their guests and really looked the part in their dress and Crowns. The party was very well attended by a good mix of all ages and was most certainly very well organised and supervised. Games indoors and outdoors were organised for the youngsters who joined in with great enthusiasm.

everyone seemed to enjoy.

A range of food was available which was very well presented and very tasty which

The job of decorating the Darfield Road Community Centre was really well thought out and a lot of work had obviously gone into it which made it patriotic and appropriate for the day. The thought and the work that went into the event prior to and on the day was a credit to all those involved. The local Councillors Steve Houghton, Charlie Wraith and Joe Hayward attended and presented Jubilee medals to the children and mementoes to members who had been involved in the organisation of the party. A special thank you to the committee for their hard work. 22

Travel Centre (Barnsley) Ltd. A family owned and operated company, K.M. Motors is dedicated to providing quality coach tour holidays designed for your comfort and enjoyment. Following the success of our 2012 tour programme, we will be returning to favourite destinations such as Lake Garda, Alassio and Roses on the Continent and nearer home, the ever-popular British seaside resorts of Blackpool, Llandudno, Morecambe and the Isle of Wight to name just a few. Once again, our programme has been extended for 2012 to include exciting new tours to the Cotswolds, Tynemouth, Worthing, Babbacombe, Bracklesham Bay and the Scottish Highlands. With more than forty years experience in arranging and operating British and European tours, you book your holiday safe in the knowledge that you will be travelling with a well-established, reliable operator and for your added piece of mind, our Fair Trading Agreement complies in full with the EC directive on package travel. Our promise is to offer a quality service that is second to none. From the moment you contact our friendly, highly trained staff, we aim to provide an exceptional standard of coaches and drivers plus good quality hotels at the right price. Booking your holiday couldn't be easier - we accept all major credit and debit cards so you can just give us a call and make your reservation by telephone, or why not call into our travel office where we accept cash and cheques. For a great value holiday and first-class service, give us call on 01226 245564. We look forward to welcoming you on board. K Meynell Your Financial Security In order to comply with package and tour regulations and to protect clients pre-payments, all monies paid are held in a secure clients account and are controlled by independent persons. In accordance with EC directives, funds would be available to cover refunds and repatriation in the unlikely event that we should cease to trade, thus giving you complete security and peace of mind.

52 Market Street Barnsley S70 1SN Telephone 01226 245564 23

YesterYear - Dorothy Hyman with Joe Edwards (top) Barnsley Bus Station (below)


Do you enjoy a good evening out?

We have a good social calendar:

Having a bit of fun and a chat - a bit of culture - and refreshments too!

Then come and join us -

    

Social evenings Speakers Demonstrators Days out Theatre visits Coffee mornings

Members range from early 20’s to 80 plus everyone welcome WHEN?

The 3rd Thursday of the month 7:00pm - 9:00pm

WHERE? Rose Tree Community Centre - Cudworth For More Information - Tel: Linda 01226 718932 Pauline 01226 715492 25

Cudworth Probus Club: From April 2012. The speaker for the 4th of April was Mr. Melvin Cook. Melvin gave a talk assisted with a slide show of photographs of his trip to Nepal. Among other items on the itinerary he and his wife enjoyed was a flight over Mount Everest and a safari on an elephant which disturbed a tiger by treading on it. Mr. Colin McDermott gave a vote of thanks to Mr. Cook for a first class talk and presentation, after making it through six inches of snow from Emley. Mr. Tony Senior was the speaker for the 18 th and his subject was “time lapsed photography”, Tony using his projection equipment demonstrated some of the latest technology regarding cameras and it was very interesting. Mr. Alan Curtis gave a vote of thanks to Mr. Senior on behalf of the club for a first class presentation. On Wednesday 2nd May Mr. Stephen Gay visited the club once again, Stephens’s subject was entitled, “Railways in Yorkshire” - part 1, all the members enjoyed the presentation and Mr. Don Shenton thanked Mr. Gay for an interesting talk and slide show of railway photos. Mr. Keith Ellis, ex police sergeant was the speaker for the 16 th; Keith gave a humorous account of his life, from his childhood in Hoyle Mill, Monk Bretton and Athersley South to joining the RAF police. After demob Keith joined the Barnsley Borough Police Force, (one of the Bobbies on the beat), sometimes on his bike. We all know that with the demise of beat system and the formation of the South Yorkshire Police Force, policing would never be the same again; Keith explained the old system in great detail. Mr. Ken Mallinson thanked Mr, Ellis for a marvellous hour of entertainment and for donating his fee to the Barnsley Hospice. The speaker for the 30th May was Mr. Brian Varley from near Sheffield and the subject was “magic with a smile”, Brian performed some amazing magic, with playing cards, rope tricks and the disappearing £5 note, (and it was with a smile), ably assisted by members of the club. Mr. Trevor Mason thanked Mr. Varley for a professional hour of magic and stated that the entire club had enjoyed his effort. On Wednesday the 13th June, Mr. Pat McLaughlin visited the club once again and the subject was “Green Men, Gargoyles and Grotesques”. Pat, who once worked for “English Heritage” gave a fascinating explanation of the many carvings in wood and stone that are to found in churches around the area, also the meaning of figures to be found on gargoyles and the reason behind grotesque carvings in churches. Some of the meanings of the figures are lost in the mist of time, but Pat explained that every one told a story, before many people could neither read or write. Mr Alan Curtis gave a vote of thanks to Mr. McLauglin and thanked him for an interesting talk and photographic display of the fascinating carvings. On Wednesday the 27th June the club members and friends enjoyed a cruise with meal provided on the River Trent. The speaker for Wednesday 11th July was Mr. Harold Pashley and the subject was entitled “Land of the Vikings”, Harold gave a talk with a slide show of photographs of his experiences in Norway, including the magnificent Norwegian Fiords. Mr. Don Shenton thanked Mr. Pashley for his talk. Alan Curtis. 26

F r a n k B r a d l e y M A c h / p od C o mmu n it y Chi ropod y S e rvic e

10 Park Avenue Cudworth Barnsley To make appointments Phone Monday to Friday 5:30 to 6:30pm 01226 713715 Mob 0797 342 4020 Jubilee tribute to our Queen On Monday evening 4th June, an indoor party was held at St John’s Parish Church Community Hall. This was a Jubilee tribute to our Queen after sixty years on the throne. A great time was had by all. Over a hundred people sat down to wonderful food followed by a royal quiz and then music and dancing ending with the lighting of a beacon and firework display. The Church’s own Queen honoured us with her presence our oldest parishioner, Agnes Byrne (left) who looked very regal in her crown and cape. Long Live the Queen. Florence Whittlestone Chewin t Cud Volunteers The Committee have to find the money to finance the cost of the magazine and rely on advertising to bring some of that money in, if you would like to advertise let us know, the cost is: Full Page £30 (Each Issue) Half Page £20 (Each Issue)

Any articles, photographs or advertisements for the Dec 2012 issue st of the magazine to reach us before 31 Oct 2012 27

An Infectious Garden Bug As a child I spent most of the school holidays and weekends at my grandparents in Cudworth, in my grandad's garden and allotment, with its rickety old tram used for drying onions and rows and rows of uniformed veg growing. My grandad always said he would build me a bungalow in his allotment, I realise now as an adult, that you can’t build a bungalow out of sides of an old coal bunker! Pestering my grandad to grow peas, like the late Mr Seaman who had the next door allotment, so I didn't have to sneak my hand through the fence to pinch some. Little did I know as a child when I proudly won the giant veg competition at school, courtesy of a monster carrot from my grandad’s allotment, that I would catch a gardening bug, to which there is no cure.....




So here I am now 36 years old, but no matter how chaotic my working life is, I always make time for my garden. I now live in Lincolnshire in a pretty village overlooking the Wolds, it saddens me that my grandad can’t just pop round to visit or when I’m having a plant crisis, that his gardening advice, which is the only advice for me, is done by text or phone. I’m now on full steam ahead, I’ve entered my first village garden competition. I`d like to say thank you to my grandad for the totally incurable gardening bug and the copy of Chewin t Cud he posts to me. My grandad you may ask ......................... Mr Donald Shenton Regards Louise (e-mail) Hi there, I've just seen the photo of the Snydale Road Junior School from 1969. It's a great photo and takes me (Dave Bailey) back to those halcyon (?) days. Funnily enough, I think the only person in the team (not pictured there for some reason) who went on to a professional football career was Terry Armstrong, who I remember watching playing for Huddersfield Town (traitor!!) against Barnsley one year. All the best - Dave Bailey (e-mail) 28

222 Barnsley Rd Cudworth Home Made Meat Pies Pasties Buns - Confectionary TAKE AWAY READY FOOD CAKES





TEL (01226) 713877


Help the Heroes The organizers of the Concert held in Shafton Village Club on Saturday 12 th May, in aid of the “Help the Heroes” charity (Afghanistan Trust) would like to thank all the people from Cudworth and Shafton and the surrounding area, (including shops and businesses) who donated prizes for the raffle and supported the event. Many people were involved in helping getting the occasion up and running, including | Malc Pierrepont | Jack Hoyland | Alan & Jean Curtis | Bill Taylor | Len Owen and all members of the, Barnsley Branch of the Parachute Regimental Association (Cudworth meeting) Mr. Tom Hicks from Royston did a good job in welcoming the Mayor elect, Councillor Dorothy Higgingbottom to the concert, who gave a substantial donation to the charity. Special thanks goes to Mr. Mick Norton (conductor) and the “Grimethorpe and District Band” who performed a wonderful programme, free of charge at the event. A sublime gesture from them to help the cause indeed! Furthermore special thanks also go to Mr. Peter Makinson, secretary of Shafton Village Club for allowing the organizers to use the facilities of the building. The total amount taken with the entrance fee and raffle amounted to £268. Mr. Makinson kindly donated £32 from the club to make the grand total £300; our thanks go to him for that. The money will be used for funding additional welfare assistance to help our heroes of the armed forces who have been wounded and also support for the families of the men and woman who have paid the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom. Alan Curtis Snydale Road Recorder Class 1956

Can anyone name any of the recorder players? 30

254b Barnsley Road Cudworth 01226 717272 31

Please send all articles, photo’s etc to: Malc Pierrepont, Chewin t Cud Volunteers 13 Stanley Street, Cudworth, Barnsley, S72 8HS - Tel:- 01226 710422 (Malc) Thank you for your Donations and Postage Stamps Some of the names of people that have donated in the last quarter. Customers of Mellor’s Newsagent | Customers of Hair Shop | Customers of Darfield Rd P/O | Customers of Lyndales | David Hoddle | Alan Broadhurst | Jack Hoyland | Mary Gomersall | Roland Murgatroyd | June Arthurs | Patricia Francis | Gordon Bird | Harry Clare | Jack Cowie | Joyce Taylor | Chris Harvey | Mrs S M Marsh | Les Rymer and all the other people that have left donations.

DONATIONS If a payment or donation to the magazine is to be made by cheque please send to Malc Pierrepont and make your cheque payable to Chewin t Cud Volunteers. Patron: The Right Honourable the Lord Mason of Barnsley. CHEWIN T CUD VOLUNTEERS

Chairman. Don Shenton.

Vice Chairman. Florence Whittlestone.

Hon. Secretaries. George Roberts and Alan Curtis Treasurer:- Malc Pierrepont. Committee:John Hayhoe | Jack Hoyland | Howard Brightmore | Cliff Gorman | Ronnie Neville The views and opinions expressed in this Magazine do not necessarily reflect those of the publishing Committee. Chewin t Cud Volunteers are an entirely independent group and they and Chewin t Cud magazine are not affiliated in any way with any other organisation either locally or nationally. Chewin t Cud Volunteers hold the copyright on Chewin t Cud Magazine. The Editor of Chewin t Cud Magazine reserves the right to edit any material submitted for publishing in Chewin t Cud.

Chewin t Cud on CD-ROM As a result of the demand for back copies of the magazine we now have a complete set of the magazines, available on CD. Price of CD £3.50. The price being: UK £3.50 plus £2.50 post and package = £6. America, Canada, Australia £3.50 plus £5.00 to cover bank charges plus £3.00 post and package = £11.50. Prices for other areas of the world please contact us. For our overseas readers: When we present a cheque to the bank in any other currency than Sterling we are charged for the transaction. Printed by Pyramid Business Print Bear Gardens, Great North Road, Redhouse, Adwick-le-Street, Doncaster, DN6 7EJ Tel 01302 726659 - - 32

64 issueno63 sept 2012