Issuu on Google+

March Issue No 60



Chewin t Cud Volunteers

Dec-11 December-2011

D rawing by R onnie N eville

Memories of Railway Terrace, Carlton. (Shotties Island) There were 16 houses there No1 – 16, I was born at No15 in 1922. It got its Island word to the word Shotties because it was always flooded after heavy rain. There used to be two caravans in the field there, one belonged to Auntie Becky’s daughter who kept the shop with my uncle Dan, my fathers brother. He also had a horse drawn coal fired fish and chip van, and later a horse and cart going round Carlton with fruit and vegetables. In the 1950s - 1970s my brother Frank and I set up mobile shops serving Carlton, Royston, Cudworth and Shafton. But back to Ruth Keen (nee’ Saxton) and her family who I remember very well, it brings back many memories, especially the photos’ of Long Row, I remember the Jacksons, Wyatts, Kilners, Holme’s also David Saxton who sadly lost his life whilst serving in the Navy in World War Two. Memories also from the photo of the canal bridge at the end of Stone Row where we learned to swim. Her reference to Mr Alf Austwick’s wooden bungalow was exactly right. There was a second one some yards behind that one but I can’t remember who had that one those fields also flooded during the winter rains. Of the sixteen families in Shotties were No1 Uncle Dan and Aunt Beck, No2 Mr and Mrs Bent, No3 Mr Shaw, No4 Buck Oliver and his Wife (cousins), No5 Mr and Mrs Harpwick, No6 Mr and Mrs Hindmarsh, No7 Mr and Mrs Mavin, No8 Mr and Mrs Swift (cousins), No9 Grandma Briggs, No10 Uncle Jim (Swift), No11 Mr and Mrs Boil, No12 Mr and Mrs Brady, No13 Uncle Bill Kenyon, No14 Mr and Mrs Mulligan, No15 Mr and Mrs Oliver my mum and dad, No16 Mr and Mrs Dan Oliver (cousins). We seemed to be all one happy family, I think Ruth will remember some of them thank you Ruth for bringing back wonderful memories. Mr Ernest Oliver. AR MARY’S BONNET Es tha seen ar Mary’s bonnet? It’s a stunner an noa mistak, It’s got red roases all rahnd front An a cockatoo’s feather hangin reight dahn t’back. Ar Mary went t’Church last Sunday, An all t’fowk stood up and laughed. An t’parson said “This is a place of worship, Not a place of laughter” So ar Mary stood up an said, “Hey, thee theer wi t’bald heead nowt in it an nowt on it, Dust tha want a feather aht o my new bonnet? This used to be recited to me when I was very small by my Great Grandma. I am not sure that this is the full poem. If anyone knows more words to it, I would appreciate you forwarding them to The Cud. Thank you, Brenda Brightmore.


Cudworth Girls Secondary Modern School - Summer 1951

Back Row L to R Trixie Leadbeater | Margaret Hitchen | Doris Worrell | Maureen Rushforth Doreen Firth | Shirley Field | Mary Auckland | Joyce Davies | Brenda Joburns Middle Row L to R Betty Jolly | Nora Higgins | Beryl Marsden | Pheobe Ball | Kathleen Sand Vera Haigh | Rose Marsh | Shirley Jones | Molly Greatorex | Shirley Wright Front Row L to R Doreen Parrander | Mavis Clare | Jean Hutchinson | Mary McGrath Miss Richardson | Hazel Fawcett | Betty Johnson | Marlene Cope | Audrey Goose MINE OF INFORMATION. By Carol Handley Take time to listen to old people, They lived a hard life in those days You never know what you will find. Little money men digging out the coal. They are a mine of information Sometimes the men were out on strike Sit and listen what's on their mind. All they lived on was the dole. They'll go sadly to their childhood days Tell you stories of their lives. Talk about a war-time wedding day When a girlfriend became a bride.

Just listen to them carefully. Learn from what they say. Be thankful that your lives Are so much happier today.

You will find it very sad sometimes When a small child of theirs died. Of hunger, poverty, pneumonia "Take a tissue." she will cry.

The moral of this poem isTo the younger generation. Just sit and listen to the old folk They are a mine of information.


Hi Malc, Just thought I would drop you a line to thank you on behalf of all the people associated with the Pinfold Pumas Junior Football Club for all the publicity you have given to us, although an adopted Cudether I have lived here since I met and married my wife, Susan Midgley nee Howarth back in 1976. We lived on Princess Street when first wed and in 1982 moved behind the Dards and are still there now. Susan is a life long Cudether as was her late father Phil Howarth, her grandparents Bob and Elsie Howarth were Steward and Stewardess of the original old Cudworth Village Club. The men of the Howarth family have a long and illustrious history of sporting achievements in Cudworth and their photographs often appear in your fabulous magazine. The committee and members of the Pinfold JFC have worked hard to get to where we are at this moment in time but still have a long way to go. The pitch is in a bit of a poor state and needs some TLC and money spending on it to get it up to a good standard (any gardening or landscaping companies who can help the cause please get in touch). We have gone from 3 teams last season up to 7 teams this term, Under 7s, 8s, 9s, 11s, 12s, 15s and 16s will all be playing their hearts out week in and week out from early September 2011 until mid April 2012. As you can imagine money is hard come by and the costs of running a club of our ever increasing size is phenomenal, all managers, coaches, first aiders etc have to have a CRB check and with registration fees to County F.A. and the fees for the relative leagues that the teams enter plus insurance costs it is a constant struggle keeping our heads above water. Some of the age groups have been fortunate enough to get sponsors for kits and training gear etc; but we are always on the look out for sponsors, we are now providing a safe playing environment for about 90 kids and along with facilitating their much publicised exercise needs, we also give them a focus for their attention, this helps keep them off the streets and hopefully a little pride in their club, which can only be good for them. I would also like to thank the staff at the Pinny and a special thanks to Sam Smiths for letting us use the field and allowing us to keep kids football alive and thriving on Darfield Road in Cudworth. John Neville, Darren Pierrepont, Jason Stokes and all the parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles and countless other people take a bow, without you and your commitment and dedication to our cause the kids in Cudworth and surrounding villages might well be messing about on street corners making nuisances of themselves well done to you all and long may it continue. Yours in sport. Gary Midgley (e-mail) Club Secretary - Pinfold Pumas Junior Football Club PHOTOGRAPHS THAT YOU SEND FOR CHEWIN T CUD MAGAZINE. If possible can you please send the original photographs for Chewin t Cud Magazine publication. The reason is, if you send a copy of the originals the quality is not as good. If requested the original photographs will be returned to you (please send S.A.E.) With Thanks:- Malc Pierrepont


Village Club Football Team

Back Row Left to Right Des Cook | John Adams | Jack Shepherd | Ernie Geeson | Ken Harris | Dennis Leek Front Row Left to Right Tom Leadbeater | Roy Leadbeater | Jack Edwards | Les Bailey | Jack Wilson Mascot? Bowen CUDWORTH. On reading Alan Curtis`s article about the Canadian Cudworth in the last issue, reminds me of when we were going to Weymouth on holiday a few years ago. While planning my route, I saw on the map a small place in Somerset called Cudworth. I decided that I must do a detour to have a look at our namesake. Frankly it was a wee bit disappointing. It was just a few scattered houses, cottages, a farm and not very much else. In size you would compare it with Clayton, the lovely village just off Brierley Common, but not half as picturesque. I had also read about Thomas Hardy`s Dorset being a beautiful county, but again the small villages did not even come near to our Yorkshire Dales villages. Being a keen gardener, I was shocked at the lack of colour in these villages. Maybe all the Piddles and Puddles in their names made it too damp and soggy to grow nice flower displays. So I am very sorry Dorset, but Yorkshire beats you hands down. I must add that Weymouth was a very nice holiday destination, and we enjoyed our time there. Howard Brightmore.


Some Childhood Wartime Memories (1939 to 1945) I was born at 60 Manor Road in Cudworth about three years before the Second World War. The family had moved to Bloemfontein Street before the war began and consequently, the war years from 1939 to 1945, were those of my childhood, at Cudworth, from the age of around three to almost nine. The consequence of the war affected the lives of everyone on each and every day. The B.B.C. news, via the radio or wireless, as it was known, was a focus of the family attention, and contained sombre bulletins, which were beamed into the home. The cinemas, or pictures, as they were known, also gave news in pictorial form. News from the ‘pictures’ was usually via ‘Newsreels’ such as those of Gaumont British or Pathe. These news features were a mix of serious and more light-hearted items. Jack booted German soldiers marching with the ridiculous goose-step, and a ranting moustache sporting, Adolf Hitler, were regular features and the objects of scorn, ridicule and hatred by young and old alike. In addition to providing news, the B.B.C. was in effect a National Institution, and an important provider of a wide variety of information and entertainment. Information was in many forms. The ‘Radio Doctor’ addressed medical matters and concerns. A programme called ‘The Kitchen Front’ provided a variety of ingenious recipes and novel ideas to cater for the shortage of many types of food. Government bulletins and important speeches were also broadcast for information or morale boosting purposes. The B.B.C. also provided a wide range of entertainment. Children were catered for via ‘Children's Hour’ with favourite presenter ‘Uncle Mac’, which supplied both drama and comedy. A particular favourite was ‘Toy Town’ with the well-known characters, Larry the Lamb, Dennis the Dachshund and Mr. Mayor. Adult entertainment was diverse. The programme ‘Itma’ starring Tommy Handley and characters such as Colonel Chinstrap, Mrs. Mop and Flumf was very popular indeed. Another popular programme was ‘Much Binding in the Marsh’, with Richard Murdoch, Kenneth Horne and Humphrey Lestocq as ‘Flying Officer Kite’. Big Bill Campbell and his Rocky Mountain Rhythm from, ‘The Old Log Cabin’ supplied American Western music, which also featured Peggy Bailey, ‘Sweet Voice of the West. Other programmes were very popular and included ‘Variety Band Box’, ‘Workers Playtime’, ‘Music While You Work’ and ‘Monday Night at Eight’ featuring Ronnie Waldman. Individual artistes such as Robb Wilton, Elsie and Doris Waters as the popular pair ‘Gert and Daisy’ and Arthur Askey helped to make people laugh. Cinemas too provided a broad range of entertainment from the USA and from Great Britain. The USA provided comedy, which included Laurel and Hardy, Abbott and Costello, Charlie Chaplin and the Marx Brothers. Many Hollywood films and a host of accompanying stars provided a wide range of dramas and westerns. Many such as George Formby, Will Hay, Frank Randle and Arthur Lucan as the popular Old Mother Riley, provided the ‘home- grown’ comedy entertainment. British stars such as John Mills, Anton Walbrook, James Mason and Margaret Lockwood, together with many others, helped to provide ‘home-grown’ drama. Wartime was a time of ration books, clothing coupons, dig for victory, blackout, Air


Raid Wardens and a real Dad’s Army, ‘The Home Guard’. During the war we were subjected to a large amount of propaganda and numerous slogans. Health wise we were urged to ‘Trap those germs in your handkerchief’, and to remember that ‘Coughs and Sneezes spread diseases’. For security we were advised that ‘Careless talk cost lives’ and that we must, ‘Put That Light Out’. To help to provide food we were urged to ‘Dig for Victory’, and in order to prevent waste, we were advised to avoid ‘The Squander Bug’. Throughout the war I lived with my parents and older brother in a terrace house at No37 Bloemfontein Street. My dad Frank was a railwayman. My mum, Mary Elizabeth was called Molly by almost everyone else, though I never understood why. My dad however, called her Betty’, which was more understandable. My brother, Maurice, was six years older than I. As a railwayman, my dad was in a reserved occupation and accordingly exempt from military call-up. He was a railway goods guard who worked awkward shifts which entailed cycling several miles to and from his work at the most ridiculous times of the day or night. Many shifts were split, which incurred additional journeys to and from work, for each part shift. During the wartime blackout, such cycle journeys must have been quite hazardous. Sometimes, where long rail journeys were involved, it was necessary for dad to stay in lodgings at the destination and to return home the following day. The job was not highly paid, but this was compensated for by the thrift of both mum and dad, who saved the pennies, to later spend them as pounds. In common with millions of others, mum exercised all her domestic skills to eke out the rationed commodities, and to improvise in other ways to compensate for the many things that Maurice & Derek Webb at were in short supply. Later in the war, after I had 37 Bloemfontein Street 1940 started school, mum obtained employment as a school dinner lady at the Snydale Road Infant and Junior School. The earliest casualty of my war was one of my highly prized Dinky Toys, a doubledecker bus. A children’s craze at that time was to make parachutes out of handkerchiefs and string. My brother, Maurice, had made such a parachute and was eager to try it out. Unfortunately, he selected my bus for his first aerial drop. He fastened the bus to the parachute using string and then carefully wrapped the bus and chute together, he drew back his arm and hurled the bundle high into the air. The descent was even swifter than the launch, the chute failed to open and my prized bus


crashed on to the concrete at the back of Bloemfontein Street, and disintegrated into countless fragments. I was extremely upset, but, after collecting all the pieces, I rebuilt the bus by, painstakingly, sticking the pieces together around a lump of plastercine. The residents of Bloemfontein Street were very neighbourly, and to this day, I can still remember most of their names. I remember as a young child, eagerly waiting for a particular resident to return home from his work. The person was Jack Wilson, the son of the Wilson’s who lived in the very top house in the street. Jack used to stop at our back gate, and give me a ride to the Wilson’s on the cross bar of his bicycle. I was invited in and given a delicious, freshly made warm potato-cake. Another of our neighbours, Albert Wayland, had a workshop, in a shed on the waste ground at the back of the street. I believe that Mr Wayland made a quantity of replica firearms that were used for practice by the local home guard. Our next-door neighbour Mr Brightmore at No39 used to house his car in either Wayland’s or another shed on the same waste ground. I think that the car was an Austin Ruby or Morris Minor saloon and on occasions, my pal Roy Brightmore and I would sit happily in it and pretend to drive on imaginary journeys. On the same waste ground, at the rear of the street, known as ‘The Backs’, a large communal Anderson Air Raid Shelter was constructed. Additionally, my dad constructed our own shelter in the back garden of No37. The shelter was partially above ground and partially below the ground, with a covering of Derek Webb Rear of Bloemfontein earth on top. The bomb resistant part of the Street, mound of earth behind is structure corrugated, galvanised, steel sheets that the top of the communal Air Raid Shelter were bolted together with a covering of earth on top. Dad planted the rockery plant ‘Snow in Summer’ on the top of our shelter, which gave a lovely white floral display in the springtime. I think that the air-raid shelter was very rarely used, though I remember, late one night, when we were in the garden, an orange glow was present in the sky. I was told or overheard dad say, that the glow was from the bombing of Sheffield. We were fortunate neither to be subjected to nor ever witnessing any actual bombing. I did see some of the effects of the Sheffield blitz however, during a visit to the Sheffield Empire to see the pantomime Mother Goose, featuring Nat Mills and Bobby. Piles of bricks and rubble from the bombing, surrounded the theatre, and were all that remained of former neighbouring buildings. During the war, children from vulnerable areas were evacuated to homes in supposedly safer areas. Cudworth had its share of these evacuees and our family welcomed one called Bob Weller into our home. Bob was from Morden in Surrey. To make these children welcome and help to ease their worries, dad used to give film


shows for them and other children in the attic of our house. The films were hired from film libraries for a modest fee. The films were silent, and usually comedies featuring Charlie Chaplin or Buster Keaton, though adventure films of Cowboys and Indians, Canadian Mounties, or Rin-Tin-Tin the wonder dog were also shown. These shows were well received and gave some light relief to the wartime days. In spite of the war, those early years seemed to be all of play and sunshine. I remember my young friends, Roy Brightmore, Ronnie Hogley, Shirley Hogley, Marlene Coldwell, Pamela Boyden, Sheila Scragg, Rita Booty, and Jack Gregory from Manor Road we played at ‘House’, ‘Tig’, ‘Hide and Seek’, ‘Kick Can’, ‘Cowboys and Indians’ and ‘Johnny May We Cross Your Coloured Waters’. The communal Air Raid Shelter provided adequate protection from the elements, and served as an indoor play area during periods of bad weather. Another evacuee, whose real name I cannot recall, had ears that used to stick out, very unkindly we called him ‘Flapper’ and he was an expert in another game we used to play which involved skimming cardboard milk bottle tops from behind a starting line on to a prescribed target area on the floor. ‘Flapper’ was a skilled player and almost always won these games. Strangely, as I recall we very rarely played at soldiers. On other occasions, we were warriors when threatened by the warriors of neighbouring Jackson Street, ‘The Jackson Streeters’. Many hours were spent being chased or chasing each other though I never fully Maurice Webb rear of Bloemfontein Street understood why. Perhaps it was an echo of some ancient tribal ritual. My brother Maurice, some six years older than I, had his own circle of friends. Some remembered names were Arthur Lanes, Doreen Upton, Keith Burton, Malcolm Parry, Roy Peace, Terry Boyden and Johnny Woolstan. In later years, Arthur Lanes and Doreen would marry. Sometime during 1943 a further indirect consequence of the war lead to a potentially, almost fatal accident in our living room, which could have changed the course of history for the whole family. My brother Maurice had acquired a cannon-shell from a Spitfire fighter aircraft, which had supposedly rendered harmless by the removal of the detonator. A craze at this time, among the more mechanically minded older boys, was to manufacture cigarette lighters from suitable military objects. Maurice had decided to use the cannon shell and was in the course of drilling a hole in it to remove the explosive powder. Suddenly the shell exploded and Maurice was blown across the room with his face peppered with shrapnel from the exploded shell. Miraculously the shrapnel missed both his eyes, though the end of one his thumbs, and the ends of a number of his fingers, were blown off in the blast. The event, although extremely serious, could have been far worse. A few minutes earlier, I had been watching the drilling operation with my face only inches away from the shell. Fortunately, I had just left


the room when the explosion occurred and was therefore spared serious injury or even death. Clearly with there being intervention of fate, and the immediate application of first aid by our neighbour Vera Causer, who was a nurse, Maurice and I lived to tell the tale. As a result of this incident, Maurice suffered a minor degree of handicap to his manual dexterity for the remainder of his life. In due course Maurice was displayed in front of the pupils of The Secondary Modern School (Cudworth) as an example of what they must not do. The consequences of what might have been for our family remain very clear indeed. The following year, in spite of the trauma of the accident, Maurice sat and passed the 13 plus examinations, which allowed him to attend The Barnsley Mining and Technical College that autumn. In spite of the war, and consequential events, Cudworth was a good place to grow up in. Shopping was catered for by an adequate number of excellent shops. Of prime importance was Audin’s, sweet shop at the corner of Barnsley Road and Jackson Street. General provisions were available or otherwise, as shortages and rationing dictated, at the Co-op store on the corner of Co-operative Street and Barnsley Road. This venue was also a very useful source of pocket money, obtained by collecting and returning jam jars. I think that a one-pound jar yielded either one halfpenny or penny, with twice this amount for a two pound jar. A further popular venue was for the purchase of fish and chips. In this respect we were fortunate to have two such shops, within easy walking distance, on Barnsley Road. The choices were either Waggstaffe’s, which was nearer, or Turner’s. A portion of chips was one penny, together with a few ‘scraps’. On some occasions there was the luxury of a fish, which cost three pence. Duncan’s or Stockdale’s supplied green grocery, though sometimes fresh greens were also obtained for just a few pence from allotments situated at the rear of Bloemfontein Street. In addition to the Co-op, freshly baked bread was also available at Newsome & Clarke’s. John Booth supplied hardware, Pemberton and Butcher was the painter and decorator, with plumbing needs supplied by either Holliday’s or Stanley’s. Two rather more mysterious places were, Joey Hancock’s junk shop in Roberts Street, and Wilby’s store on Barnsley Road. My knowledge of the off-licence was limited to brief visits with my pal Roy Brightmore, who fetched a quart of draught beer in a pop bottle for neighbour Mr Horace Driver at No33. I can see, (and smell), the foaming beer, running over the top of the bottle, during the intricate filling operation using a funnel. In addition to the shops, Cudworth had a number of places of worship. The Parish Church, where my brother Maurice was confirmed, was St. John’s with its unique monotone clanging bell. This bell continued to clang until very recently, when it was eventually replaced in 2009. There were several chapels, the Wesleyan, the Ebeneezer and one along White Cross Road. The Wesleyan Chapel, at which, for a time my grandfather George Webb was the organist, has been demolished in recent years and rebuilt further from the roadside. The Ebeneezer Chapel still stands today, though sadly, it is now a school of boxing. The Ebeneezer Chapel was where I attended Sunday school, sang at many anniversaries, and consumed a great number of potted meat sandwiches and jam tarts, at very enjoyable children’s parties. In the


Prospect Street area, then, as now there was a Roman Catholic Church, and also one for the Salvation Army. Unfortunately, though still standing today, the Salvation Army Church in Prospect Street is now some kind of warehouse or storage depot. An adequate library, the Rock Cinema, the St. George’s Village Hall, the splendid little Welfare Park and a number of hostelries and clubs, of which I had no knowledge, all helped to cater for the diverse recreational needs of the village. Other out door adventure was provided, in summer, by Storrs Mill Wood, and in winter by the steep gradient of Rodbourne’s field in lower Cudworth. A focal point of entertainment was the local Rock Cinema, which was situated adjacent to ‘The Pond’. Admission charges were, threepence for the hard wooden seats at the front of the auditorium, fivepence for upholstered seats at the rear, and ninepence for the luxury of sitting in the balcony. The manager of the cinema was Mr Organ, who employed someone to try to keep down the noise from the excited rabble of children in the threepenny seats. If memory serves me right, I think that this person was called Hiram Marrison, who had the unenviable task of parading at the front of the auditorium with a hefty, cudgel-like stick, which, he banged frequently on the front of the stage in vain attempts to keep order. It was said of the ‘Rock’ that the first few rows of the threepenny seats were littered with ‘horse muck’ and used ‘bullets’ from the many Cowboy Films that were shown. I am also fairly sure that I saw my first two colour films at the ‘Rock’, which were ‘The Wizard of Oz’ and ‘Bambi’. Storrs Mill Wood was a children's paradise and seemed a magical place. It was situated a fair distance from where we lived, and to get there involved walking beyond the village, along Darfield Road and beyond the Birkwood housing estate. My Grandparents, George and Marta Webb, lived in Birkwood Avenue; for a time at No47, then later at No11 it was at Grandma’s that I enjoyed dunking her excellent ginger biscuits in my tea, and picking Grandad’s juicy loganberries in the garden. Once beyond the housing estate, a further walk along a narrower stretch of Darfield Road led to a bridge over the River Dearne. On the other side of the river was the entrance to the wood. Countless hours were spent there happily playing games, climbing trees, building dens, making bows and arrows and many other happy pursuits. One sad recollection of childhood times spent at Storrs Mill was of an accident to Brian Cope, a member of another group of children. Brian lost one of his legs through playing on the nearby railway. My memories of the St. George’s Village Hall are few. I remember that it was in the Sidcop area, and I think that it had a pitched, corrugated steel roof. One occasion that I remember is of a dance that was held there, as my dad supplied the music using records and an amplification system and on that particular occasion he had taken me with him. Whenever an appreciable amount of snow had fallen, Rodbourne’s field in Lower Cudworth was the ideal spot for sledging. The field extended from well up Manor Road, with a steep decent to the fence at the bottom, which divided it from the railway embankment. Sledges of all shapes and sizes were used, many of which


were home made, as well as improvised vehicles such as corrugated steel sheets, old cupboard doors and wooden boxes. The descent was far from smooth and often, prematurely curtailed. The thrill of completing the full descent however, was most rewarding, which more than compensated for the long haul back to the top to start all over again. Many hours of enjoyment were also spent at the Welfare Park, a very popular venue for many village residents. The park had a variety of attractions for young and old alike. Among the children’s attractions were the swings, roundabouts, rocking horse, slide sandpit and paddling pool. Other features included the bandstand, the fishpond, tennis courts, putting green, lawns and flower beds, shrubs and trees, together with neatly tarmac-end footpaths and an adequate number of park benches. The park was the usual venue for civic events particularly in the summer months. We were also fortunate at the time that vandalism was not a problem as it is today, though fragments of glass, from the occasional broken bottle in the paddling pool, had to be avoided. Present day attempts to re-create interest in the park and make it a focal point of the village life are to be welcomed, and applauded. My early education took place at Snydale Road Infants School, though my recollections of this period are limited. I can recall the Headmistress, Miss Turpin, and also a kindly, excellent teacher called Miss Crudas. I have one clear memory of this time at school, the rest period that we had to take during the day. I remember that we were placed in small green canvas beds, in which we were expected to go to sleep. Personally, I do not think that I ever went to sleep, and can clearly remember lying there, sulking and waiting eagerly for the time that we could get up again, and resume our busy lives. I can also just remember the school dinner period, the dinner ladies, one of which was my Mum, and also cabbage, Derek Webb potatoes and gravy, followed by semolina pudding and jam. I can also remember hiding behind the dustbins at the top end Snydale Road Infants 1942 of the playground during occasional games of hide and seek. In September 1944, I moved to Pontefract Road Junior School and in the following year, 1945, Germany surrendered on 8th May and the war in Europe was over. In September 1945, Japan also surrendered and six long years of war were at an end. I can remember clearly three events, which occurred at the end of the war. The first event was very exciting for any young boy. As part of the peace celebrations, the Army gave rides to children in a Bren-Gun Carrier. I remember being driven from the Pond, down Barnsley Road, and then up Bloemfontein Street, before returning to the Pond. The event was particularly memorable for me, as I had a model Bren-Gun Carrier that I had treasured and played with throughout the war. The second event was the gigantic communal bonfire that was located in the Welfare Park. The bonfire was constructed from dozens of wooden railway sleepers that were stacked into a tower, which was then filled with smaller logs and brushwood. I remember vividly the massive tower of flames that appeared to reach the sky. I have


never seen a bonfire as large since that day. The final event was to me, even more memorable. A massive street party was held in the rear of Bloemfontein Street. Games and athletic events took place. In the 100 yards sprint, my dad amazed me with his running ability, but he took a tumble on rough ground, when clearly in the lead and on course to win. That night, dad provided music, on records, for street dancing. He also constructed a large ‘V’ for Victory sign of coloured lights that he had constructed from the Christmas tree fairy lights. Festivities continued well into the early hours of next morning. My second year at Pontefract Road School was the final year of my childhood at Cudworth. A fond and lasting memory of Pontefract Road School is of the hymn that we used to sing each day in the evening assembly. The hymn, ‘The Day Thou Gavest Lord Is Ended’ remains my favourite and hearing in any time evokes nostalgia and transports me straight back to the school. In late 1946, my family left Cudworth and moved to Royston. On reflection, this year was, up to that time, the only time of peace that I could remember, except for very brief memories of early infancy. In spite of the war and other problems, my childhood at Cudworth was very happy and I give my thanks to all who helped to make it so. by Derek Webb YesterYear - Looking down Market Hill from Town Hall

Cudworth Family History Group Join a self-help group of aspiring genealogists Where you can trace your Family Tree Discover secrets, dispel myths and see how your ancestors lived. Milefield School, Grimethorpe 9:30am-noon, Tuesday (term-time) 07720 602349


Jackson Street 36







43 44


26 23 22









17 13





14 6

2 1








9 7



4 5

1 Maureen Stacey | 2 Ann Elson | 3 Graham Morris | 4 Christopher Lyons 5 Eddie Lyons | 6 Pamela Elson | 7 Brian Morris | 8 Margaret Jewitt | 9 ? 10 Molly Smith | 11 Ronnie Drinkwater | 12Patrick Daley | 13 ? 14 Gladys Elson | 15 Joan Wilson | 16 ? | 17 Joseph Clark | 18 Alan Crossley 19 Jennifer Key | 20 Beryl Smith | 21 Avril Crossley | 22 Eileen Gough/Harper? | 23 ? 24 Lorna Drinkwater | 25 Norma Wilson | 26 Annette Barker | 27 Pat Calverley 28 Christine Barker | 29 Margaret Wilson | 30 Mrs. Clark (Liz) 31 Mrs. Wallace (Nellie) | 32 Mrs. Wilson (Nellie) | 33 Mrs. Wilson (Evelyn) 34 Mrs. Greatorex (Susie) | 35 Mary Greatorex | 36 Mrs. Sands (Fanny) 37 Trevor Powers | 38 Mrs. Morris (Jean nee Smith) | 39 Mrs. Barker (Joan) 40 Mrs. Key (Nora) | 41 Kathlyn Jones | 42 Mrs. Jones (Nellie) 43 Mrs. Rodbourne (Jinny) | 44 Stuart Smith Ode To My Wife By Ronnie Neville You put my hand on the handle of love You put my hand on the handle of life You open the door to the stars above You are the key to my life. You take my hand off the handle of greed You take my hand off the handle of hate

You open the door to a better place Where loneliness has to wait. You put my hand on the handle of yes You take my hand off the handle of no You open the gates to a better life Where my heart longed to go.

Any articles, photographs or advertisements for the Mar 2012 issue st of the magazine to reach us before 31 Jan 2012


MONDAY New consultant Lundwood St Mary Magdalene Church Pontefract Road Barnsley 7:00pm Your Consultant's name is Jacky Telephone 07957813309 New consultant New Time Brierley, Brierley Methodist Church, Church Street Barnsley 7:00pm Your Consultant's name is Denise Telephone 07740284189 Darfield Valley Methodist Church, Snapehill Road Barnsley 6:30pm Your Consultant's name is Michelle Telephone 01226 757253 TUESDAY Darfield Valley Methodist Church, Snapehill Road Barnsley 9:30am Your Consultant's name is Michelle Telephone 01226 757253

Monk Bretton St Pauls Church, Burton Road Barnsley 5:00pm and 7:00pm Your Consultant's name is Michelle Telephone 01226 757253 Cudworth Dorothy Hyman Sports Centre Snydale Road Barnsley 5:00pm and 7:00pm Your Consultant's name is Dawn Telephone 01226 780774 WEDNESDAY Monk Bretton St Pauls Church, Burton Road Barnsley 1pm Your Consultant's name is Michelle Telephone 01226 757253 Cudworth Valley Community Centre, Manor Road, Next door to Police Station, Barnsley 6:00pm Your Consultant's name is Ann Telephone 01709 889118

Grimethorpe Acorn Centre High Street Barnsley 5pm and 7pm Your Consultant's name is Gill Telephone 01226 715324 THURSDAY Stairfoot Wesleyan Reform Church Hunningley Lane Ardsley Thursdays 9.30am Your Consultant's name is Cheryl Telephone 07754 189449 Stairfoot Wesleyan Reform Church Hunningley Lane Ardsley 7pm New Time from 1st September Your Consultant's name is Cheryl Telephone 07754 189449 Local Career Opportunities Contact Dawn 07933522868


Crossley Brothers: Gas Engine: Working in Cudworth. An article published in the South Yorkshire Times on 4 th March 1932 refers to a gas engine, which came to Cudworth 28 years earlier - arriving in the district in 1904. The engine is referred to as a she and it states that she was “old fashioned” and out of date. F. T. Salmon and Co, building contractors in Queens Road, Cudworth, off Pontefract Road, found a new home for her and planted her in their builder’s yard, end of Queens Road to start her work. The article stated that good care was bestowed on her in her new quarters, and once again she was full, of “pep” and as good to look at as if she was new.

Of course you may have guessed, she was an old Crossley Bros gas engine, (which ran on a mixture of town gas and air), but you have little idea of the work she has got through since leaving Manchester’s murky air for upper Cudworth. At first she had it easy, nothing more to do than drive a nine foot diameter, overhead belt drive mortar pan. That was child’s play to her. Kings Road, Queens Road, Albert Street and Clifford Street all grew up around her, while she throbbed rhythmically away all day long performing her duties. The second chapter states that there became an era of prosperity that preceded World War 1. Her owners, F. T. Salmon and Co; got very busy: a church at Hemsworth was built, another at St Anne’s was also built, a Post Office at Chesterfield, a school at Grimethorpe, a Coastguard Station for the government at Walney Island, a railway station complete with station masters house at Tickhill. Similar contracts at Maltby, and villas all round the district were built. It meant lots of timber work being done by the forty joiners who worked in the yard in Queens Road, pitch pine, hardwood oak and mahogany for the churches was machined up using the power of the engine. The engine driven by endless belts, passing over huge pulleys at each end of the crankshaft, the mortising, planeing and thicknessing machines upstairs in the joiners shop in the yard, pulleys and lay shafts traversed the full length of the workshop, with belts down to operate the machines and circular saws below, the engine also drove the big circular saw in the yard, which I believe cut up all the old Midhope Reservoir (reclaimed), timber structures (mainly 11"x4"), with nails in by the thousand! Band saws and all were added to the work of "t’owd lass". There seemed to be drive belts going all over the place!


In later years the firm became John Stothard and Sons, building contractors, who built lots of houses in the area. After that things started to change and like now, not always for the better. Toddlers who used to clap hands as the pan ran round, grew to manhood and married. Many of the forty joiners went out to “the Great War” and some never returned. The builder’s yard which used to stretch halfway down to Weetshaw Lane was reduced by two-thirds. Houses were built where huge timber stacks once stood. The steam lorries and motor cars became idle and were sold off or scrapped. The queue at the pay office in the yard dwindled and everything became stagnant, that is until the housing scheme fever broke out, starting in the early 1920s. The "old lady" then came into her own again. She ground all the black mortar for the new Darfield Road Housing Estates including Newtown and other sites in the area, also walls and houses on St. Johns and White Cross Roads were built using the mortar she produced. When she was last seen, the other day, she was “coughing” as easily as good enough for another "thirty" years. She has had a few new “undies”, but is still essentially the same old, second hand Crossley Bros gas engine manufactured at Openshaw, east Manchester and transferred to work in Cudworth. The mortar pan was used to grind black power station boiler ash from local collieries, mixed with sand and lime to make either black or white mortar. The lime came by Lorries from the quarries in the Wentbridge, Doncaster area, it had been quarried as small rocks and then fired in kilns, and its nature was completely transformed. When it arrived in the yard it was slaked with water, this had the effect of crumbling the rocks to powder, the water boiled and turned to steam, and this was part of the chemical reaction that made the lime to mix with sand and ash. The single cylinder engine was sited in the “engine house” in the yard, the exhaust gasses were discharged, via a 4inch pipe through the outside wall, with no silencer attached. The “old girl” had a speed governor fitted, with every suction stroke the cylinder would be filled with a charge of town gas and air mix. If the rpm’s were below the governor setting, a magneto would send current to the spark plug, igniting the compressed mixture and inducting a power stroke, this kept her rpm’s to their optimum required level. An unfortunate side effect to this was, when not under load and if the rpm’s were high enough, the magneto would not send a spark to the plug, this resulted in the engine doing several revolutions without it’s gas and air mixture being ignited, thus discharging the un-burned mixture into the exhaust pipe. At the next power/exhaust stroke, with the ignited gas going through the exhaust valve, it would ignite the unburned mixture from the previous revolutions left in the pipe; this resulted in an almighty backfire and a jet of flame shooting out from the pipe. Anyone new to the sound would be filled with terror! Locals residents (and us children) playing in the streets got used to the regular bang and pulses of the “old girl”, but if there was any delay in the regularity of pulses and the noises of the exhaust you got ready for the inevitable explosion to follow. The gas engine and mortar pan was still in operation in the early 1960s, not sure about the big circular saw. Mr. Bill Stothard, son of Mr. Cliff Stothard and nephew of Mr. Ron Stothard, is one of the last surviving individuals to operate the engine and


mortar pan, always under the watchful guidance of a wonderful man, Mr. George Pygott. It was at this time that “soft” building sand became available and supplies of black ash were dwindling and builders were using sand and cement mortars, which could be made on site, using portable petrol or diesel powered mixers. As children in the late1940’s, in the Kings Road area we all got used to the throb of the “old girl” in the streets. It was started up at 8am and ran until 5:30pm, 5 days a week, and Saturday morning driving the mortar pan and massive circular saw. Someone once said – “it is the heartbeat of the area”. I remember going to the yard and asking for sawdust for my rabbits, it was duly supplied from a massive pit under the saw. I remember a watchman in his small shelter, with a coke brazier in front of him guarding the old girl at night and all the other machinery in the yard. One of the advantages of black lime mortar is that it never sets too hard, this lets the moisture evaporate, from the wall, and it was sometimes called lime putty mortar. The bed and vertical joints, (cavity wall construction) are laid much tighter than the modern day 10mm hard cement mortar joints. If you look at the older type houses (Newtown etc) you can see this. A decision was made to do away with the engine and mortar pan, hindsight is a wonderful thing, I think if the “old girl” had been saved, she would have been a star attraction at the many steam and engine shows that are very popular now all over the country. I think the article will bring back memories for lots of readers, especially those who came from the top end area, it has for me! My thanks go to Linda Laughton, who dug the article up from somewhere and supplied me with it, also Mr. Bill Stothard, for his memories working with the engine and mortar pan. Best regards from. Alan Curtis. Albert Martins workers group - 1980s?

Supplied by Mr. Keith Austwick.


Snydale Road Football team 1959 - Supplied by Gordon Wordsworth

Can anyone put names to the team and teachers? The Joy of Christmas Night By Gordon Bird 25/09/2011 Christmas came and Christmas went We stopped then thought What had we spent Presents bought Then thrown away Is this the meaning of Christmas Day. Christmas came good food and cheer Turkey's Tinsel twinkling lights In the sky a guiding light Shining bright this Christmas night Were angels there Our guiding light. Christmas came kind thoughts and deeds Thoughts of others What are their needs Warm clothes and shelter Food and light Just needing this

Now Every night. Christmas coming T' will soon be here Can we really change this year Can we Will we Do we care Will we give and will we share. The brightest star our guiding light The gifts the food this Christmas night If we stop, Then Pause, Then think. I think we might The joy of giving This Christmas night.


Carlton Marsh Nature Reserve (August-October) Thanks to the BMBC Countryside Officers and Rangers, management of the reserve continued to provide beautiful walks along the old railway embankment and car park plantation. The mown grass verges contrasted nicely with the splash of colour from the many wild flowers and their associated butterflies. Autumn migration this year was very good. In August 2 Common Terns flew SE on the 11th, a Spotted Flycatcher was present on the 16th and later that day a Hobby was chasing Swallows over the marsh. A Redstart called in on the 19th followed by a Merlin on the 20th, 2 Little Egrets on the 22nd and 2 Tree Pipits on the 23rd. On the 1st of September a Yellow Wagtail flew south and Dave Smith ringed a Grasshopper Warbler. Little Egret Later that day I caught a Long-tailed Tit that had been ringed here in July 2006. It wasn’t the oldest we have on record but, it came close at more than 5 years old. On the 4th, Geoff Miller and Jim Plant saw a 1st summer Kittiwake, slowly heading west. This was only the second record of this coastal species. On the 9th Ralph Hibbert and Les Corral located 2 more Spotted Flycatchers near the steps to the railway embankment and strong winds on the 11th grounded 4 Wheatears and 2 Whinchats. Goldcrest, Redpoll and Siskin began to arrive and 6 Wigeon were present on the 17 th In Longtail Tit October I was fortunate to see a Short Eared Owl on the 7 th and 7 Golden Plover were resting in a nearby field on the 11th. They were followed by good numbers of migrating Fieldfares and Redwings on the 13th and 14th and on the 19th Jim Plant saw a Grey Plover heading north. It was only the 6th record. Resident birds during this period included a family of 7 Buzzards in the air together on the 17th of August, and Little Owl and Tawny Owl were heard or seen on most dates. Huge flocks of Canada Geese sought sanctuary on the lake at nightfall after feeding in the fields. The brightly coloured Kingfisher was seen on most days, with 3 together on one date. Mammals were well represented by sightings of Stoat, Weasel, Pipistrelle, Noctule and Daubenton’s Bat but, another sighting of the dreaded Mink led to an attempt at trapping the blighter. It wasn’t a good summer for dragonflies and butterflies but, there were sightings of Southern Hawker and Migrant Hawker and notably a Painted Lady butterfly. Chris Parkin found a very late Brown Argus during mid’ October and Ralph Hibbert and Les Corral also found several Harlequin Ladybirds preparing to


Cuckoo & Dunnock

hibernate. Wild flowers in bloom included Wild Parsnip, Harebell, Devil’s-bitScabious, Gypsywort and Water Mint. Dry weather didn’t produce the best conditions for fungi, but the edible Red-cracked Bolete and Shaggy Ink Cap were found. In Cudworth a juvenile Cuckoo was raised by a pair of Hedge Sparrows in Les Corral’s garden. After being weaned by its foster parents the young Cuckoo left in early September. This bird would have had to find its own way to East Africa, as most adults have departed by July. Also of interest was a Peregrine Falcon seen flying over Geoff Miller’s home in Beech Avenue on the 21 st and 23rd of August. The Recorder Photo of Darfield Road Club - quiz winners.

Back Row - M. Green | B. Creasey | B. Neville | B. Creasey. Front Row - C. Holmes | B. Handley | K. Austwick. Photo and names supplied by Mr. Keith Austwick Chewin t Cud Volunteers The Committee have to find the money to finance the cost of the magazine and rely on advertising to bring some of that money in, if you would like to advertise let us know, the cost is: Full Page £30 (Each Issue) | Half Page £20 (Each Issue)


A Tribute to Mrs Marion Hodge By Members of The Cudworth Local History and Heritage Group 14th September 2011 - Fondly Remembered - Sadly Missed’ The History Group deeply regrets the passing of a much loved and respected Founder Member. There can be few Cudworth residents who did not know or encounter Mrs Marion Hodge at some time in their lives. Marion died peacefully at home on Churchfield Avenue, Cudworth on Wed 14th Sept 2011 she was 88. Marion was the only daughter, of John Alfred and Rose Ellen Booth who were the proprietors of T. Booth & Sons, Ironmongers shop at 282-288 Barnsley Road, Cudworth. She is predeceased by her brothers Harry, Norman, & Colin. Married in 1949 to Roy Hodge and widowed in 1964 when only 41 years old, Marion leaves 3 daughters, 5 granddaughters and 4 great grandchildren Marion lead a full and active life, from her wartime days in the WAAF to her employment at the Food Office on Snydale Road, and her appointment as School Secretary at Pontefract Road Junior School in the 60’s & 70’s. She was also a past secretary of the Cudworth Branch of the Townswomen’s Guild. However the Cudworth Local History Group feel that her passing cannot go unacknowledged by them, without expressing some form of recognition and appreciation of her work and contribution to the groups endeavours, records and archived material. Marion was a founder member of the Cudworth Local History group in 1996, and was much dedicated to accumulating historic facts on Cudworth matters and people. She worked tirelessly at arranging and meeting up with Cudworth residents, to interview them, and assemble written and digital records of the results of these interviews. She was very much a 21 st Century woman being most adept in the field of modern technology and computer related procedures. In the weeks immediately prior to her passing she was planning to attend a meeting of another History Group to give a talk on her early life, even though she had never done any public speaking previously. Although in her 89th year, right up to the end, Marion had all her faculties, and was a constant and reliable source of information on most Cudworth related matters. It was often the norm, that if and when an enquiry concerning a Cudworth name or place cropped up which was proving difficult to get to the bottom of – the call would go out ‘Ask Marion! She’ll know!’ Sadly not any longer, though it should be stressed that although Marion will be missed because of her input into the group’s activities and records, more importantly she will be missed as Marion the person, a true ‘lady’ from a generation, which is becoming increasingly thin on the ground, who always found time for all-comers.


Personal Tributes. From Linda Laughton. My partner, my friend, my aunt, my Godmother. We had many great adventures together. I miss you. From Joan & Arthur Wilkinson. Arthur and I joined the Cudworth Local History and Heritage Group 12 years ago. Mrs Hodge was secretary to the group and made us very welcome. She was very helpful in explaining to us the various projects the group was involved in and we soon became interested and active in these with the help of Mrs Hodge. Over the years we became very good friends and spent quite a number of hours working together on various projects. She was a lovely lady and we became very fond of her and valued her friendship. We will miss her very much. From John and Barbara Myatt. Mrs Hodge (she will always be that to me) was a charming lady from the first time I met her when starting teaching at Pontefract School around 1972. She took pleasure in all things happening in the village and when ever we met would ask about how the family was, what they were doing and how I was getting on. A lovely lady indeed. From Wendy Hawkins. I'm so sorry, Marion was a lovely lady. I've known her since I started at Pontefract Road School. From Brenda & Derek Webb. For Marion. We learned with shock and sadness, And could not comprehend, That Marion had passed away, That we had lost a friend. Quiet, calm and diligent, And active to the end, A kindly member of the Group On whom you could depend. Marion, you will be sadly missed by all. With Love From Florence Whittlestone. Marion was a quiet dignified lady, I have known her most of my life. First as a shop assistant in her father’s shop, always helpful to me as a child. When I was sent to buy some screws or nails at Booth’s shop and letting me operate the train set that ran around in the shop window. I remember her being polite in the Food Office with the ration books, before and after the war. Later as a very helpful office school secretary when I was Chair of Governors at Pontefract Road School. Latterly along with myself she was a founder member of Cudworth Local History and Heritage Group, an exceptionally active member very good with the technology of using the


computers. Marion’s local knowledge will be very much missed and she always checked her facts rigorously. I will miss her both as a friend and colleague. A great loss to Cudworth village. From Cliff Gorman, I first met Marion Hodge when my father and I became founder members of Cudworth History Group in November 1996. Although I vividly remember her cycling to work past our house on Royston Road, as I was going to the Secondary Modern School. I knew that Marion at that time was the secretary at Pontefract Road School. My recollections of Marion are many and pleasant, she was always amiable and friendly to everyone and her knowledge of the village was unsurpassed. As time went by the bond with Marion became stronger. Along with other members of the History Group, Marion and her niece Linda Laughton and I sat opposite each other at the Valley Community Centre during the time we were learning the basics of computing. I visited her home many times, often with Linda and on my own. There was always a welcoming cup of tea. On one occasion I spent the afternoon tape recording her life story for the History Group. She was very frank and didn’t hold anything back. Marion was a very forward-looking, intelligent lady with a memory of events and people in the village that was of enormous benefit to the group. She was instrumental in helping to produce the first CD of Cudworth’s history in 1998 and she also provided invaluable information on the many photographs that were brought in by the general public for cataloguing on computer. We also spent enjoyable times together at Northern College on various tailor made history courses for the group. Then there were the History Group’s annual dinners’ and day trips to Caphouse Mining Museum. Marion lived life to the full during her 88 years and was still attending the History Group meetings almost until the end, and even though she had a number of bad falls she soldiered on. I will always remember Marion with love and affection; she was an inspiration to everyone and will be greatly missed. All my love From Bill & Jennie Stothard. As a comparative newcomer to the History Group, I have only been acquainted with Marion for a few months. My wife Jennie has known Marion rather longer becoming acquainted with her during her years at Pontefract Road School. In the short time that I have known Marion it became apparent to me what a wonderful Lady (and I don’t use the word ‘Lady’ lightly) she was. Always attentive, considerate and helpful, her knowledge of Cudworth related matters was almost without boundaries. It seems cruel that after such a short time of getting to know and appreciate Marion, that I will now only be able to learn of, and appreciate her further virtues – and there will be many - from others who have known her considerably longer than I have. I


am sure that as time progresses there will be much more for me to learn and appreciate about Marion. Extracts from Marions Wartime Memories entitled, ‘A Recollection of Ordinary Experiences during Extraordinary Times’. A very informative document in the CLHG archives describes her war years both at home and in the WAAF. I was 16 when WW2 was declared in Sep 1939 and left BGHS the end of July my results from the matriculation board came 2 Sep, but no one seemed bothered. Initially volunteering to work in the bay windowed house 26 Snydale Road known as the ‘food office’. Later to be employed as a civil servant and temporary typist. This work included entering names on to ration books. Marion joined the First Aid Party having been awarded her certificate. Registered 31/12/1942 at Barnsley Labour Exchange in order to join the RAF. Passed A1 medical 13/01/1943 at Sheffield a week later to train at RAF Innsworth, Gloucs. to work on internal postal duties as well as drill parades. Later transferred to Hednesford and promoted to Corporal. Here Marion met her husband, an ex air-crew Warrant Officer from Perth who was pending de-mobilisation. Marion was de-mobbed Dec 1946 and resumed work at the food office. After marriage she got a transfer to Boston Food Office to be near her husband who was working at RAF Coningsby as a Met Assistant. These memories are worth reading again! Especially interesting are the war years! Well Known Cudworth Teacher. By John Hayhoe It is sad to report that Mr Desmond Curry passed away on Tuesday 1st November 2011. Mr Curry was a teacher and Deputy Head at Cudworth Secondary Modern School for many years. He will be sadly missed by many as he was a popular teacher although he was strict when it came to standards of behaviour he was fair and always helpful to his pupils. He was an Art, Drama and English teacher, who would be involved in the production of pageants, plays and he was also always heavily involved with the organisation of the school camp which was looked forward to by all who attended over the years, there will also be many past pupils with happy memories of their association with Mr Curry during the fortnight at camp and in the time they were at school. Mr Curry passed away aged 88 years at the Halstead Nursing Home, he leaves a Wife two Daughters and four Grandchildren.


My Recollection of the 2nd World War By Joan Taylor My first recollection of the war was when I was about 8 years old and grown-ups used to talk about it, trying not to let the children hear. Maybe it had just started then. I remember my Uncle Jack, aged 18, going to work down the coal mine. He was a Bevin Boy. When a man reached the age of eighteen he had to decide between the coal mine and the armed forces. Because coal was needed, miners didn’t have to join up unless they wanted to. Some of the older miners joined up, so they needed the 18-year olds to take their places. I think this was the idea of an M.P. called Mr. Bevin. We were at war nearly all the time I was at school. Our teachers often left to go and fight so they were replaced by retired teachers who were too old to fight. In the grounds of our school, underground Air Raid Shelters were dug, like long tunnels. There were seats down each side. The floor, sides and roof were made of concrete. Every so often there was a ladder leading to a hole in the roof. This was the escape hatch in case we were bombed. On the roof of the Police Station was an Air Raid Siren. This had to be tested periodically, so that was when we had air raid practice. We would have to leave our classroom in single file and go to the shelters. When we were sat down we had to put our gas masks on and sit there until the all clear sounded. Then we had to take them off and practice getting out of the shelter through the escape hatch. It was fun, but no one liked wearing the gas masks as they were uncomfortable. We were lucky in Yorkshire that all we did was practice. We were never bombed. Perhaps they were in Sheffield. I think they had ammunition factories there. We used to have film shows in school showing us how London was bombed, it was awful. Most of the children were sent to safe areas to live. They were called Evacuees. If you had room for one to live with you, you had to fill in a form and apply. I remember the day some arrived at my home town of Hemsworth, West Yorkshire. The buses arrived bringing them to a Chapel close to where I lived. If you were giving one a temporary home until it was safe for them to go back to London, you had to go there to collect them. Of course, all of us kids went to see what they were like. We must have thought they were from another planet. It was upsetting for them. Lots were crying because they’d had to leave their parents. But at least they were safe from the bombs. They soon settled in with their new families and we made them welcome at school. They told us stories about the bombs. There was something called a Doodlebug. They were launched somewhere in Germany and programmed where they were to fall in in England, often over London. They told us as long as you could hear them you were safe, but when the noise stopped they fell and blew towns and villages up. The children were so happy to get away from it all. My father was a part time fireman and was sent to London to help put out the fires. Eventually he was called up to join the army and we didn’t see him for years. School dinners had just begun by the time I reached senior school aged 11 years. If your dad was in the army you could have free school dinners. I think at the time


they cost five shillings a week (approximately twenty-five pence today). Instead of going to the coast on holiday we had holiday at home weeks, especially in August. Games were organized in the playing fields. We also had sports days, the prizes being National Savings Certificates or Saving Stamps. Our parents organized street parties. In those days there was hardly any traffic on the streets. I can’t remember anyone owning a car then. So there was room for everyone to bring a small table out and line them up in the middle of the street. Everyone donated some food and we had a party followed by games. Then someone would take down their clothes line and we would play skipping. We would sing, “All in together girls, Never mind the weather girls, When I call your birthday you must jump in.” As one girl jumped in the previous girl would jump out. We really enjoyed it. Then there was the rationing. Everyone had a ration book. Children under five had a green book and we were allowed extra things. Even sweets were rationed. I remember the time when a shop near us got a few cases of oranges. One of the children came running up our street to tell us. So it was up to the best runner in the family to run and save a place in the queue for their mother. How many oranges did they get? One for each green ration book! We had clothing coupons for clothes. As you grew out of something it was passed on to somebody else. I had 2 dresses, one was cut down from my Aunt Ivy’s, the other one that she made for me. I hated it but had to wear it. Instead of chocolate we used to have some cocoa and sugar in a bag. You had to wet your finger and dip it in the bag, then suck your finger! Not very hygienic was it? I don’t think the things I have written about will ever be in the History books, but I hope you have found it interesting. Quiz; Areas of Barnsley. Example: Long, High or Triple. ( Answer; Jump. ) 1) 2)

This Parrot`s not sick Mix Blue and Yellow to make a Dog call. 3) A valuable Moo Chew. 4) Mrs Tanners Vehicle. 5) No Women`s problems here then. 6) Give it my regards. 7) Jesus left his mark here. 8) A smooth Pebble. 9) Sew the seams of this Meadow. 10) Shop here for Grain. 11) Spiky Crow call. 12) You could begin your journey to bed here

13) 14) 15) 16) 17) 18) 19) 20) 21) 22) 23)

Bloody Stream. Bovine Leap. Punishment place, over Canal. Winter Warmer. Central Coastal feature. Sweet source of Water. You will find them at the Forge. Darker Mound. Popular Hairstyle. Witch`s transport up steep gradient. Environmentally friendly Head covering. 24) Barlow`s Wagon.

Answers on page 29


Cudworth Probus Club 2011: to year end. On the 10th August meeting, Mr John Hayhoe (club member) gave an engrossing talk regarding his career in the police force; John was a dog handler in the Specialist search dog’s team and gave details of the many IED (Improvised Explosive Devises) that were used in Northern Ireland. Also the intensive training that took place in the team. Mr George Roberts thanked Mr Hayhoe for his absorbing talk. Mr. Ernest Oliver provided a DVD film for the 24 th entitled – Ivy Benson and her all girls band, the club members enjoyed the film. Mr Don Booker was the speaker for 7th September; Don who was the motoring correspondent for the Barnsley Chronicle gave an absorbing talk on the history of the hand made Morgan cars. Don owns a Morgan 1, MM1 plus four classic models made in 2009. The metal chassis is constructed on wooden trestles and the body work is formed in ash timber; worked by hand with hand tools, planes etc, and a typical car takes two months to build from start to finish. Don has visited the factory in Malvern many times to watch the cars being hand built. In the despatch bay there is a stuffed owl, on its perch in order to deter birds getting in and leaving deposits on the new cars, which are much sought after all over the world. Mr Ken Bellamy thanked Mr Booker on behalf of the club for his fascinating talk.

Probus Club members, taken at the Annual General Meeting. On the 21st September Mr Ernest Oliver provided a DVD film of the “Dorsey Brothers”, the boy’s father Thomas was a coal miner and encouraged the two young boys to play the trombone, saxophone and other instruments, rather than be a coal miner; the film was an account of their life and the history of the forming of the bands, the first one formed was called – the “Wild Canaries”! Both brothers were born in Shenandoah, Pennsylvania, USA. Tommy was born on 19 th November 1905 and died on 26th November 1956, aged 51. Jimmy was born on the 29 th February 1904 and died on 12th June 1957, aged 52, less than one year after Tommy’s death. It was a fascinating film about the great bands era. The club thanked Ernest for providing the DVD. Mr Tony Handley was the speaker for the 5 th October and the subject was “Monk Bretton Priory” (part two). Tony talked about the daily life within the priory, excavations took place 86 years ago to reveal many important facts in the lives of the Monks, including work, prayer and for leisure a form of tennis was played around


600 years ago. The drainage system they constructed was for the time 1 st class with running spring water for the kitchen and for the flushing of the toilets. Mr Colin McDermott thanked Tony for his presentation. The clubs Annual General Meeting was held on Wed 19th October. A minutes silence was held to remember the late Mr Ron Parton, who is sadly missed, especially with the Poppy Appeal in the Coop; Mr Keith Donkin was elected President of the club for the next term and Mr John Hayhoe was accepted as Vice President. Mr Peter Haigh is Les Rymer & Keith Donkin continuing in the role of Treasurer/Secretary of the club, all the members thanked him for that, also Mr Stan Horton is continuing as a speaker finder. Mrs Hazel Haigh provided a buffet; the club has had another successful year. Mr Stephen Gay was the speaker for Wednesday 2 nd November. Stephen gave a talk and presented a slide show of railway scenes mostly in the Sheffield area, once again Stephen’s presentation was first class and brought many memories back regarding the golden age of the railways. Mr Don Shenton who worked as a signalman on the railway gave a vote of thanks to Stephen and said all the members enjoyed the talk and photos. Alan Curtis. Cudworth Secondary Modern School in 1951 Names L to R Front K. Austwick | J. Dawson | R. Harston | F. Davis Ibbertson | B. Blackburn | P. Donkin Back group R. Key | D. Arnott | T. Kelsall. The one in front with the cap on is the Snowman. Photo and names to faces supplied by Mr. Keith Austwick. Answers; Barnsley Places. 1) 2) 3) 4) 5) 6) 7) 8)

Birdwell Burugh Green. Cudworth. Elsecar Wombwell. Broadway. Staincross. Silkstone.

9) 10) 11) 12) 13) 14) 15) 16)

Hemingfield. Storrs Mill. Cawthorne. Stairfoot. Redbrook. Oxspring. Stocksbridge Woolley.

17) 18) 19) 20) 21) 22) 23) 24)

Middlecliff. Honeywell. Smithies. Blacker Hill. Platts Common. Broomhill. Hood Green. Kendray.


Reminder of 1947 Smallpox Outbreak (Barnsley Chronicle 25th Feb 1977) Lundwood Hospital’s ghost was finally evicted on Monday, when the hospital was set on fire and pulled down. This was the final stage of the demolition which has been taking place over the last few weeks. Built as an isolation hospital in 1896 (sic) it was burnt to prevent dormant germ spores from being returned to circulation. Indeed, the demolition workers of Linbros Demolition Ltd, Penistone, had to be vaccinated against Smallpox before they could start work. A Barnsley Area Health Authority spokesman said: "it was just a safety precaution, as is the burning. There is no real danger. It was just a case of being safe, rather than sorry." Also as a precaution none of the interior fittings were removed, but burnt. The last case of smallpox treated in the hospital was in May 1947. The outbreak originated from a Barnsley Lodging House and there were a number of deaths due to the disease. The hospital was last used as a geriatric hospital, until it closure in September 1974, when the patients were transferred to Mount Vernon Hospital. As yet, no alternative accommodation has been found for the ghost?

Firemen look on to make sure that the fire at Lundwood Hospital does not get out of hand.


Summary of History of Lundwood Smallpox Hospital. Report in the Barnsley Chronicle of the Laying of the Foundation Stone. 1901. 17th Feb Formal opening of the Smallpox and Isolation Hospital. 1946. Hospital closed as an Isolation Hospital. 1948. Hospital reopened for Geriatric Patients. 1948 to 1974 Dr. Ramaswani in charge. 1958/1961 Some patients transferred to new Mount Vernon Hospital. 1968. 11th Oct Tom Schorah died here. 1970. Feb Alice Schorah (First Headmistress of Pontefract Rd School). 1974. 28th Sept Hospital finally closed. 1975. 11th July Notice in Barnsley Chronicle ‘Hospital for Sale’ 1977. 21st Feb Hospital set on fire by the Fire Service to get rid of old Bugs . It was said that it also got rid of its Resident Ghost. Photo Cuttings Photos of years 1914-15 and 1917 Showing Staff, Patients and the Committee. Researched by Gerald J Alliott and Phil Norman (Local Historians) 1898. 23rd July


Gamekeepers Demise. (Researches from various newspaper articles)

Policeman’s son David Pilmore certainly killed once – probable twice - and appeared to have got away with it. Having assumed another name he had enlisted in the Royal Berkshire Regiment, and was in the clear – until he spent the night alone on sentry duty. Suddenly, that night he found he wasn’t alone. With him was the ghost of a man whose life he had taken almost eight months before when the contents of a shotgun was discharged into his chest from point blank range. A short while later on Christmas Eve, 1887, Cudworth’s blacksmith’s son was confessing his crimes to a senior officer. The latter listened patiently as Pilmore told him how he and another Cudworth man, Harry Roberts, had set off on a poaching expedition early on the morning of 29th April and met gamekeeper Henry Illingworth and his assistant Edward George Copley. Pilmore aged 25 and a former miner told the truth when he described how Copley, a father of two fell to the ground dying a few minutes later. The only fact he changed was his claim that it was Roberts who fired the fatal shot. Probably he was telling the truth when he said he had hastened the end of his accomplice Roberts, while they were both hiding from the resulting manhunt, in quiet woods near Wakefield some three weeks later that he had buried the body. But the officer didn’t believe a word of it and put the amazing confession down to Pilmore’s drunken condition. It was only when Pilmore repeated is claim in the sober lights of Christmas Day that the police were informed and Pilmore was arrested. A short while later Pilmore was on his way from Reading to Pontefract, having been identified as Yorkshires most wanted criminal by a police officer that had worked with him at a Cudworth Colliery. So began a fascinating sequence of events, which saw Pilmore, tried for wilful murder, found guilty and sentenced to death before receiving a eleventh hour reprieve after 65,000 Yorkshire people signed a petition for leniency. Before taking a peep at the judicial proceedings, we should perhaps, examine the events of that fateful morning of 29th April. Illingworth and Copley were in the employ of Captain R. H. Jones of Badsworth Hall when they came across Pilmore and Roberts shooting at hares on Badsworth Common. Neither Illingworth nor Copley were armed. It appears that the gamekeepers knew the poachers, at least by sight. Their job should have been to ascertain their names and report the matter to the appropriate authorities. Instead Illingworth sent Copley to cover a possible escape route while he followed the poachers. They initially promised to go away if left alone, but Illingworth continued to follow them. That resulted in Pilemore twice levelling a double-barred shotgun at him and making threats to put a hole through him. When the poachers broke into a run near some railway lines, Illingworth gave chase. The poachers stopped running and stood their ground. Roberts, the elder of the two, described to Barnsley Magistrates as the ‘Pest of Cudworth’ earlier the same year – seized a stake and attacked Illingworth with it. Illingworth, having shouted to Copley to assist him, used Roberts as a shield as Pilmore levelled his gun for the third time. Then Copley appeared, rushing at Pilmore, the gun went off and Copley collapsed at Pilmore’s feet. Illingworth had dealt some sturdy blows to Roberts with his stick but was dragged to the ground. He was then bludgeoned with the gunstock and, on his evidence, left for dead. In fact he recovered in a few minutes but Copley had no chance of life. He died on the Saturday evening having given his evidence to the police in ‘the expectation and belief of


approaching death’ – he never lost consciousness until the end. The surgeon who pulled 68 pellets, not to mention several pieces of clothing out of a fist-sized hole in his chest during a subsequent post mortem examination was amazed that he had lived so long. Pilmore and Roberts returned to the latter’s lodgings with Mary Childs at Sidcop, Cudworth, later the same morning. They said nothing about the morning’s events and left separately after Roberts had treatment for head wounds and both had eaten breakfast. Pilmore was not seen again until his dramatic Christmas confession. Roberts, as far as is known, was never seen again. Pilmore did not persist with his story that Roberts had fired the shot, which killed Copley when he faced trial at Leeds Assizes on 21 st February. His main defence was that he should not have been charged with murder, but manslaughter. Through his counsel, Mr C Mellor, he claimed that the gun had gone off accidentally, possibly triggered by Copley’s run at him. Mr Mellor told the jury that they as poachers, were required by law to tender their names. They had, not in fact been asked their names but they had offered to leave the area peacefully. The gamekeepers over reaction, he added should have automatically reduced the charge to manslaughter. The defence didn’t find much favour with the jury; they took just twenty minutes to return a verdict of guilty. Nor did it appear to sway Mr Justice Day who passed the death sentence, with an appeal for Pilmore to seek mercy at the feet of his Saviour. But it did persuade many people – not at least the Barnsley Chronicle which had previously published letters, sent by Pilmore to his father, which pleaded his innocence of murder saying the killing was accidental and predicted a petition to the Home Secretary as ‘all time and trouble thrown away’. He predicted wrongly. A petition document was made available for public signatures at the Chronicles Peel Square Offices on Friday. By the following Tuesday the list of names was 120 feet long, in all 66,735 Yorkshire people added their names to the petition for mercy in less than five days. It’s difficult to say why Pilmores plight aroused such sympathy. By his own admission he had enjoyed a ‘wild and dissolute career’, despite his good family background. He had also served six months in prison in connection with a poaching affray at Oulton Park, Leeds five years before. Certainly, the Barnsley Chronicle newspaper did not consider that Malice aforethought had been proved against him and pointed out that the trial judge had ‘contrary to custom’, allowed Illingworth to listen to the case before giving his evidence. When he took the stand, therefore, he knew what exactly what his evidence had to prove. But in the face of such public opinion the Home Secretary Mr Henry Matthews Q.C. did grant a reprieve just hours before he was due to climb the gallows on 13 th March 1888. The death sentence was replaced by one of penal servitude for life. That leaves us with one mystery remaining – what happened to the ‘pest’ of Cudworth? Was Harry Roberts so weak from his head wounds and three weeks living rough without food, did Pilmore did hasten his end? Or was Pilmore trying to end the search for his partner in crime? We shall never know. Pilmore was released in July 1898. Supplied by Jack Hoyland STAMP YOUR APPROVAL. The volunteers appreciate all donations to the Cud. Anyone interested in donating NEW postage stamps st nd (1 or 2 class) towards our costs. This would help us to keep costs down, and be a very big help to us. We thank you in anticipation, and they can be forwarded to Malc at his address. PLEASE DO NOT SEND STAMPS THAT HAVE BEEN USED


Spot the Difference By Ronnie Neville (8 in total) answers foot of this page.

“It’s my wife Doctor, she won’t take me serious!” Cudworth Baths approx. 1935

Back row - standing far right George Cook Standing left (3rd) Harold Tasker (5th R) Alex Pickett | Sam Burrows. Sitting down - back 1. Harry Shenton | 2 ? | 3 ? | 10. Raymond Day | 11. Frank Gore | 14. Frank Peach. Sitting down - front Les Shenton | Eric Webster | Jack Peach | Cyril Gore (me) | Fred Eeles (Chedar) Jack Eeles | Joan Parkinson Supplied by Cyril Gore Answers to Spot the Difference Bobble to of hat | Button | Shadow under chair | Glasses | Reflection on Computer screen | Handle on drawer | Signature | Doctor/Psychiatrist



School Sports Day and The Olympics 2012. Thinking about next year’s Olympics takes me back to school sports days. We here in Cudworth and probably all of the UK remember the unusual games that we used to compete in on those above sports days. These events should be brought into the Olympics, and then I`m sure we would add to Britain`s gold tally. The Bean Bag Race. 6 or 8 bags filled with beans were spaced 3 or 4 foot apart away from where you were standing beside your bucket. On the teachers whistle, you raced each other to bring them back to the bucket one by one. Obviously first to get them all in the bucket was the winner. The Sack Race. You climbed into a sack, and again on the whistle jumped your way to the finishing line. Of course there was lots of falling down, but good fun. The Three Legged Race. My memory goes back 60 years on this race. Tony Howarth was always my partner, and we were very good at this one. Standing with your arms around each other’s waist, your inner legs were tied together, then away you went running about 60 or 80 yards, some good co-ordination was needed on this one, and again there were many falls. The Last One. I want you to picture in your mind. The marathon is coming to an end, 26 gruelling miles in the English red hot sun. (What, in July I here you say). In the Olympic Stadium a little Ethiopian enters first. He`s on his way to victory it seems, but 100 metres from the finishing line flying past him with an egg on a spoon comes a Brit. It`s gold for Britain in the Egg and Spoon Race. OK, he`s got his races mixed up, but who cares? We have gold’s in all the above events. We would probably get silver and bronze too, making 12 extra medals to the tally. Howard Brightmore. Bill ‘n Frank Myatt Hi, I'm just wondering if the pictures in the Sept edition of Chewin T Cud on page 19 would surely be the Myatts who built the house I am now living in? Pioneer Bungalow, belonging to our property up at Dootsons Garage? I'm sure they are Fred Siverwoods relatives, they seemed a real gutsy family as told to me by Fred. If you should need some real good stories about "the top-end" of Cudworth and the goings on, I'm sure Fred would be only too pleased to contribute many a tale if you asked him. He tells me of his Uncle who was the coal merchant delivering with his horse and cart, the man was blind but the horse new his round and eventually the guy remembered his round by counting the steps between each drop. How enterprising hey? This just wouldn't happen today. It makes us lot these days seem very whimpish, what a battling man! I have some paperwork that was given to me by May Myatt who now lives at South Elmsall and she too has many tales to tell. You can borrow the paperwork I have, you may find some interest in it, as some is about the old Village Club, aka The Trees, and another name (which as just slipped my mind). I must say, it’s quite nice to be able to see those pics of the Myatts, knowing that they could have built my home, by the way, I have copies of Myatt wills also which you may be able to get some fresh page filling material from. Val Dootson


222 Barnsley Rd Cudworth Home Made Meat Pies Pasties Buns - Confectionary TAKE AWAY READY FOOD CAKES





TEL (01226) 713877 37

The Two Laughing Postmen. Two postmen, one called Steve, from Cudworth and the other Russ from Brierley have been delivering the post in Shafton recently, they are both affectionately known as Wallace and Gromit, Steve is (Wallace) and his suffering partner Russ is (Gromit) and to hear them both laughing as they work together has been like a breath of fresh air to me. They both come out with the usual banter and slow timing one another, just like the characters in the films. I asked Steve why they work in pairs now. His answer was, because it’s a rough area round here; I fell for that hook line and sinker! Besides the laughing they are both practising their whistling skills, but they are better at talking and laughing. Steve said, “we won’t be laughing as much in the winter when it’s cold and raining, snowing or foggy, and dark”. Keep it up Steve and Russ; I look forward to hearing you both. It is something I miss from my working days, the banter and laughs from my workmates on the building sites; I think they call it camaraderie. Alan Curtis. Cudworth Secondary Modern - School Reunion - September 2011 Hi Boys and Girls, Mary and I would like to thank everyone who attended the 9 th school reunion on the 10th September 2011; it makes our efforts worthwhile, thanks also to the teachers who attended, Mr and Mrs D Barker, Mr D Hoddle, Mrs S Jenkinson and Mr and Mrs R Mellor, also Mrs M Shirt, Mrs M Crowther and Mr D Curry couldn’t attend but send their best wishes to you all, a big thank you to my wife Gail who made all the sandwiches, and also thanks to Rob Smillie for developing the photos. Well boys and girls, I must say the evening was most enjoyable and the attendance was good and well done to Mr G Geldard and his wife, they travelled all the way from Grimsby to be with us on the evening and also won a raffle prize I believe. As usual due to your generosity by donations and buying raffle tickets, a profit was made at the end of the evening and this was, as usual, given to Malc Pierrepont to enhance the funds of Chewin t Cud. The same room has been booked for the 10th Reunion which is at the same venue The Dorothy Hyman, Snydale Road, Cudworth at 7:00pm on Saturday 8 th September 2012, please tell your old school mates and enter the date in your 2012 diary and calendar. Mary and I hope to see you all again next year. Best Wishes to you all Terry Tindall


254b Barnsley Road Cudworth 01226 717272 39

Please send all articles, photo’s etc to:-

Malc Pierrepont, Chewin t Cud Volunteers 13 Stanley Street, Cudworth, Barnsley, S72 8HS website: - e-mail:- Tel:- 01226 710422 (Malc) Thank you for your Donations and Postage Stamps Some of the names of people that have donated in the last quarter Customers of Mellows Newsagent | Customers of Hair Shop | Olive & Kath | Dr. S Race Charlie Duffield | Sheila M Marsh | Darby & Joan, Shafton | Cudworth Sec. Mod. Sch. Reunion | Mrs Shirt | Carol Handley | Roy Jagger | June Bradbury | Roland Murgatroyd Cliff Scofield | Mrs Crowther | Dr Tim Healey | Mrs B Monkman and all the other people that have left donations.

DONATIONS If a payment or donation to the magazine is to be made by cheque please make your cheque payable to Chewin t Cud Volunteers. Patron: The Right Honourable the Lord Mason of Barnsley. CHEWIN T CUD VOLUNTEERS

Chairman. Don Shenton.

Vice Chairman. Florence Whittlestone.

Hon. Secretaries. George Roberts and Alan Curtis Treasurer:- Malc Pierrepont. Committee:John Hayhoe | Jack Hoyland | Howard Brightmore The views and opinions expressed in this Magazine do not necessarily reflect those of the publishing Committee. Chewin t Cud Volunteers are an entirely independent group and they and Chewin t Cud magazine are not affiliated in any way with any other organisation either locally or nationally. Chewin t Cud Volunteers hold the copyright on Chewin t Cud Magazine. The Editor of Chewin t Cud Magazine reserves the right to edit any material submitted for publishing in Chewin t Cud.

Chewin t Cud on CD-ROM As a result of the demand for back copies of the magazine we now have a complete set of the magazines, available on CD. Price of CD £3.50. The price being: UK £3.50 plus £2.00 post and package = £5.50. America, Canada, Australia £3.50 plus £5.00 to cover bank charges plus £2.00 post and package = £10.50. Prices for other areas of the world please contact us. For our overseas readers: When we present a cheque to the bank in any other currency than Sterling we are charged for the transaction. Printed by Apple Tree Print Services Ltd Davy Road, (off) Pitman Road; Denaby Main, Doncaster, DN12 4LQ tel: 01302 314011.


61 issueno60 dec 2011