Page 1

Mar Issue No 50

June 09



Dec June 2009

Drawing by Ronnie Neville

Chewin t Cud - June 2009 Issue 50

2 JOHN THOMAS SMITH 2 - THE CLUB STEWARD Talking to cousin Gillian regarding the club incident, she said that she understood from her father that grandad spent a term in prison for his misdemeanour. I thought that such an unusual occurrence would have attracted a lot of attention so I decided to search the Barnsley Chronicle from 1900. After a number of visits to the Barnsley Library Archives totalling approximately six hours my search was over, and by the courtesy of the Barnsley Chronicle you can share my finding below. Extraordinary Conduct of a Club Steward BONFIRE OF CIGARS AND CIGARETTES AT CUDWORTH CELLAR FLOODED WITH BEER AND SPIRITS “THE HAPPIEST MAN ON EARTH” A case which has caused a vast amount of comment in the district more particularly at Cudworth, was heard at the West Riding Police Court on Monday when John Smith described as a miner of Cudworth, but until recently the steward at the Cudworth Village Club and Institute, was brought up before Messrs. H Piggott (Chairman). W. Batty, W. Jackson and H.A. Allport, charged under the Malicious Injuries Act with having unlawfully and maliciously done damage to the extent of £200 of beer, wines, spirits, cigars and cigarettes, the property of the club above named. Mr. A. Muir Wilson, of Sheffield, appeared to prosecute on behalf of the club, and Mr. Rideal defended. The charge was not denied. In his opening statement, Mr. Wilson said this was an extraordinary case, in all his experience he had never before met one like it. “I have heard” Mr. Wilson went on, “of what is called mental aberration - I believe I myself have to plead guilty to it (laughter) - but this man must at this time have had something more than a mental aberration”. For four and a half years the defendant had been steward of the club. On Monday 20th July 1903, the committee decided to determine his services and at four o‟clock on the day named certain representatives of the committee went with the intention of acquainting Smith of that decision, paying a month‟s wages, and then taking stock. However, there must have been a Judas in the camp, for evidently a communication of some sort had been made to Smith, for when the committeemen arrived at the club a little after 4 p.m., he had prepared a reception for them, and they were greatly astonished at what they saw. The corks of twenty 54 gallon barrels of beer had been knocked in, and the contents had run into the cellar; 40 gallons of whisky, 20 gallons, of rum, 11 gallons of special whisky and some cordials had been dealt with in a similar manner. The liquid had flooded the cellar to a depth of about 2 feet “Some of the members” facetiously added Mr Wilson “thought it would have given more satisfaction if they had been able to consume some of this instead of which it had to be given to the pigs” (laughter). In addition to this, some 8,000 cigars, 160 three penny packets of cigarettes, and 300 penny packets, over which petroleum had been poured, were set on fire by the defendant in the yard at the rear of the club. Witnesses saw him doing Chewin t Cud - June 2009 Issue 50

3 this, but they were weak enough not to interfere, or they might have put a stop to this most extraordinary conduct, whereas damage to the extent of £200 was done. Either the man must have been excited, or he was drunk - he (Mr. Wilson) had no idea which - but when the officials spoke to him he said it was the best day‟s work he had ever done in his life, and that the King of England had never done as much good as he. Those remarks would point to the fact that the man was behaving in a manner which was, to say the least, extraordinary. Those were the facts, and after giving evidence shortly, he should ask for the case to be sent to trial. Joe Race, colliery timekeeper, said he had held the position of secretary of the club for about six months. Defendant was engaged about four and half years ago as steward, and paid a salary of two pounds ten shillings per week, with light, fuel, utensils and allowances for refreshments. On Monday, 20 th July, it having been decided to dispose with the services of the steward, witness, with Thomas Snowden, Patrick Foley, and Hy. Ebbage, went to the club to carry out the instructions of the committee. They were to pay the defendant ten pounds in lieu of a month‟s notice. They could not get into the cellar for beer, which was flooded to the extent of over two feet. Witness told defendant that they desired to take stock, and Smith answered them with the remark that they would have to wait until the beer disappeared, or else wade through it-(laughter). They waited until nine o‟clock and found that twenty 54 gallon barrels of beer, which at cost price was worth £55, had been destroyed, that 40 gallons of Irish whisky, at £30, 20 gallons of rum to the value of £15, 11 gallons of “Old Dad” special whisky, worth £11 had also been wasted, besides a quantity of Holland‟s Gin, cordials, mineral waters, etc. The cigars and cigarettes destroyed were worth £35 and they amassed the total damage at £200. When spoken to Smith seemed delighted by what he had done. He said he was the happiest man on earth, and the King of England could not be happier than he was (laughter). Defendant was not drunk but he appeared to be much excited. By Mr. Batty: Defendant seemed to understand what he had done. Crossexamined. Defendant was not a teetotaller. What he had been doing previous to their visit, witness could not testify. Witness had not read anything queer in the defendant‟s conduct of late. They had a membership of 600, but there had been no more work lately than for some time past. It was not true the club kept open until morning, causing additional work for the steward. They closed at ten o‟clock. Mr. Rideal: How long have you been secretary? Witness: About six months. You have reformed the club then? I have done something towards it, but the club has been reformed owing to the new Licensing Act coming into force. The beer and spirits were wasted? Yes. Mr. Wilson: I think some pigs enjoyed the beer. (laughter) - Mr. Rideal: Perhaps it made the pigs drunk. (laughter). To witness: You say defendant was not mad with drink. Then why did you not push him on one side and prevent him doing the damage? Witness: Most of the liquor was spoilt and in the cellar when we went. Further cross-examined, witness said the stewards work had not been too heavy for Chewin t Cud - June 2009 Issue 50

4 him of late and was not likely to cause his mind to become unhinged with worry. They took Smith with a good character, and until recently he had given satisfaction to the club. His wife was also a hard-working, respectable woman. Defendant had had a servant, and paid for her out of his own salary. Thomas Snowden, miner, Cudworth, gave corroborative evidence. David Walker, miner, Cudworth; said that on the date in question he was in the club, and saw Smith burning cigars and cigarettes in the back yard of the club‟s premises, and pouring paraffin over the pile. When asked why he was doing that, defendant replied, “Oh! I‟m having my revenge out”. Witness was unable to stop him, he being ill and on the club‟s sick list at the time. He however, tried to persuade him not to do it, but defendant took no notice. The fire lasted from five o‟clock to nine o‟clock, - Mr. Wilson; It was the biggest bonfire of cigars that you have ever seen? Witness; Oh! It wasn‟t over big, but it lasted a long while! (laughter) - I think you got some of the beer for the pigs! No I didn‟t. (laughter). Witness said defendant was not drunk, but he appeared “a little fresh”. Cross - examined: There were a lot of members besides himself looking on, but they did not prevent him doing further damage - Mr. Rideal: Why? Witness: They were frightened that he would “go” for them. (laughter) - Were the members enjoying the fun? I don‟t know. (laughter) - Witness could not explain why the members did not interfere - Mr. Wilson: What was he doing? He was walking about quietly enough. He kept pouring paraffin on, that‟s all. - (loud laughter). Mr. Rideal said he did not wish to say anything at this point. No doubt a prima facia case had been made out and the defendant reserved his defence. Smith was committed for trial at the West Riding Quarter Sessions to be held at Wakefield in October. Bail was allowed as before, himself in 50 pound and sureties to the same amount. Armed with this astonishing knowledge my brother Eric and I went to view Wakefield prison records. Having read the “Chronicle” report where he was walking around the fire pouring paraffin on it, and none of the onlookers attempted to stop him causing further damage, and being told that his nickname as a cricketer was Slogger, I had built up a mental picture of my grandad as a big man who nobody messed with, a type John Wayne portrayed in films. Viewing the prison records, which were displayed in the most beautiful copperplate writing, it read: In the year of our Lord, One Thousand Nine Hundred and Three, John Thomas Smith height 5 foot 6 inches. Suddenly my minds image of grandfather evaporated from a John Wayne character to that of James Cagney. But nevertheless I felt I had got to know my grandad a little (he had passed away before I was born). In my research I could find nothing to suggest why he should be dismissed, but the “Chronicle” reported: Mr. Mellor, instructed by Mr. Rideal, appeared for the prisoner, who pleaded guilty, and urged that domestic trouble - he had lost two children - and continual wrangles with the committee of this club, had temporarily unhinged his mind. He put in a memorial signed by 35 members of the club, testifying to their regard and esteem for the prisoner and stating in their opinion, the Chewin t Cud - June 2009 Issue 50

5 committee were to blame for dismissing him without any just cause. In October 1903 he was sentenced to three months imprisonment, in the second division. This report is as near to the original as possible. Courtesy of the Barnsley Chronicle. THE GLASS BARREL The Victorian glass barrel pictured left measures approximately 14 inches high and 30 inches in circumference, it has a diamond cut design with RUM emblazoned on the front and is etched with 8 quarts and 16 pints up the side. There is a bung hole at the base for a brass tap and an opening at the top for refilling. The barrel originally stood on the bar of the Village Club situated in Market Street and along with other items was transferred when the club was relocated in Barnsley Road. In the 1970‟s new premises were built at the rear of the existing club. During the switch-over of essential equipment, snooker tables and other articles, my Uncle Tarry was helping the steward to clear out the cellar. There were still a number of boxes from the Market Street site and in one of them was the glass container. Uncle Tarry remembered his father telling him how spirits were dispensed from the vessel when he was the steward there. Realising what it was and the historical connection with his father he saved it from being disposed of to local salvage. The item now belongs to Uncle Tarry‟s daughter Gillian, the youngest of John Thomas Smith‟s grandchildren. Frank Smith. March 2009 Madge Wright's beer-off on Sidcop Road, Cudworth. Is there anyone who remembers the family, a relative, who will be visiting from South Africa this summer, is eager to have any information, no matter how small. Please contact the Cudworth Local History & Heritage Group or Malc. HOLLY TREE LODGE EMI RESIDENTIAL & NURSING HOME Sceptone Grove, Shafton, Barnsley, S72 8NP Tel 01226 712399 Fax 01226 718054 Email We provide a high quality care for people who suffer with dementia and Alzheimer‟s. Providing nutritional meals for all types of diets. In House activities organiser. Daily activity programme giving plenty of stimulation and fun. Outings, Hairdressing etc. The environment is well decorated, homely and all have single bedrooms. You are welcome to call in and have a look around. Chewin t Cud - June 2009 Issue 50




CHURCHFIELD SCHOOL ON SATURDAY 13th JUNE 2009 10AM - 3PM | STALLS | GAMES | REFRESHMENTS | ANYONE WANTING A STALL PHONE NICKY ON - 07944 550 756 NO JUMBLE OR BRIC-A-BRAC THANK YOU - EVERYONE WELCOME Love, Life And Little Mary Poems From The Heart It was a dream come true when my grandson Andrew asked if he could publish my poems for me. He had seen my collection and said it was a shame not to do it. Andrew came and spent a day with me to put my poems in order. We put Little Mary's poems in because I wanted my book to be called, Love Life and Little Mary Poems From The Heart was added as all my poems were from my heart. It worked out fine and Tanja Andrews fianc'e designed the cover. What a lovely surprise, it was lovely. I shed a few tears I can tell you. The photo is of me Tanja and Andrew when we had a book signing day at home with a party for all my family. It was a day I'll never forget. You could not put a price on it. All my family got a signed copy from me, lovely. I have sold over a hundred of my poetry books and will decide what to do next in a week or two. Carol Handley PHOTOGRAPHS THAT YOU SEND FOR CHEWIN T CUD MAGAZINE. If possible can you please send the original photographs for Chewin t Cud Magazine publication. The reason is, if you send a copy of the originals the quality is not as good. If requested the original photographs will be returned to you (please send S.A.E.) Chewin t Cud - June 2009 Issue 50

7 Dear Sir I read with interest the article about Bone‟s glassworks, my niece Ruth Keen of Monk Bretton sends me the book (Chewin T Cud). I too worked at the glassworks along with Bill Cockburn, the people on the photograph, I didn‟t blow any glass, as I was the one that silvered the baubles, the silvering process was in liquid form, Mr. Bone and Mr. Kerr of Kerr‟s chemist, Barnsley Road were the only ones who knew the formula, I had to put the liquid in a pipette and measure just the right amount. I had to wear rubber gloves and of course I would puncture them with sharp glass, Bill Cockburn would then repair them, with a bicycle Puncture outfit. I had to be careful not to spill any as it burned the skin. I remember Mildred and I decided to put our name and address in one of the boxes, I had a reply from a girl who lived at Bondi Beach, Australia. I was sad to read Mr. Bone had died so young, Mrs. Bone was a cockney she used to come into work about 10:30am never stayed too long, she always said “good morning ladies”. When she had her daughter I took her a walk to Cudworth Park, while Mrs. Bone went shopping, I think Bill Cockburn‟s mother used to look after her too. I lived at Carlton, and cycled to and from work, also went home for lunch, we had bad winters in those days, thick fog would roll in after dinner, I used to go by Chippy Rowe‟s bus, but they would stop running in thick fog. So Mr. Bone would ask Bill Cockburn and Stan Rawson to walk me home. Those were happy days we used to have plenty of laughs. I came to Blackpool in 1953 and have often wondered how people are, wondered if they stayed in Cudworth, I still have a lot of relatives around the Barnsley area. Yours Faithfully Mary Butterworth (nee Ride) - Name and address supplied. Issue 49 – March 2009 With reference to the photograph on page 25 Thora Dix and myself would be interested to know from Keith Donkin - who we both remember, what class it was. I ask this because as far as I can see the person on the left in the middle row is me (Brian Field) not Tommy Guy. A lot of the lads on there I remember well because they were part of the football team that won the Felkirk Cup the following year but some were not in our class. Can Keith help us out here? I'm sure most people will by now have read Parky's autobiography. I was particularly grateful for one of the early photographs which shows him with the Snydale Road Sports trophy - which he calls the Victor Ludorum Trophy. I won the same trophy 3 years later but never had a photo of it. I called at the school the year of the centenary and asked to see the trophy to take a photo but nobody knew what had happened to it. Perhaps there is somebody out there who can throw some light on this. Many thanks for continuing to take me down memory lane - I really enjoy my nostalgia fix. Brian Field (formally of Stanley Street, Snydale Road Primary School and Whitcross Road Methodist Sunday School). Chewin t Cud - June 2009 Issue 50

8 A day in the life of a Darfield Roader - Bonfire night This night was something special, it started weeks before the actual lighting of the fire, me and the lads would start by deciding who‟s house we would have it in usually smithy‟s because he had the biggest garden, once decided we‟d scour the fields and get our dads to chop back garden trees darn and have a good clear ar„t. All this was tied on t‟t back of us bikes and dragged back leaving a trail of debris on‟t corsey edge. Once we‟d started getting it all together we‟d pile it up as high as we could – then came the best part, it was as if we were part of the SAS, we would suit up in any clothes that were dark split into two teams and one team would go on the prowl to nick bunnywood from unsuspecting lads. They all did it!!. We‟d crawl about in the undergrowth, (damn those bloody dogs) and hide behind bushes making sure no one was there then run and grab as much as we could, returning twigs in hand as hero‟s to our mates. The trouble was that whilst we were ar‟t other gangs would be doin same, the problem for them was that the other half of our lads would sit in the dark sitting themselves waiting for this to happen, I protected our patch one night and I‟ll tell ya I was shekin like a sitting dog – the only thing that put me a ease was that we‟d daubed the fence tops with old grease, dug holes and filled em‟ with slapdab and put up trip wires - all done before nightfall – not bad hey!!. Sometimes we had a bonfire at our house and looking back I‟m sure my Dad was partly to blame for the O‟zone depleting as working in a scrap yard he would pile up old bus seats, tyres and to top it off would pour gallons of diesel over it all before lighting, saying that‟ll get it going. Although ours was always the best in the street you had to spend the first hour indoors for health reasons, as the heat would take your skin off. The best part of it was that you could assure that the baked potatoes were always cooked although they tasted a bit funny – probably the diesel. Dad always did us proud with the fireworks and would nail Catherine wheels on the fence, send up umpteen rockets fired from muck filled buckets often coming down on our heads, thank god they didn‟t end up in the coal bunker or the bloody shed would have gone up. Mum would attempt to make bonfire toffee with more sugar than a kid should have in a year, it stuck to your teeth and kept us quiet, probably best as it stopped us screaming from burnt faces with dad‟s inferno. Paul Armstrong - e-mail. THE CUDWORTH LOCAL HISTORY AND HERITAGE GROUP. The Cudworth Local History and Heritage Group have produced a CD-ROM containing a collection of historical photographs and information about people, places and landmarks within Cudworth and its surrounding district. The CD is known as „Comma Archive 2009‟ and contains over 900 photographs and associated information. The CD is on sale by the Group, to members of the general public, at a cost of £5-00p. Copies of CD can be obtained from History Group Members or at their meetings at Centre of Excellence (Library) on Monday or Wednesday mornings, 10am to 12 noon. Note:- This CD-ROM can only be played on a Computer. Chewin t Cud - June 2009 Issue 50


GRASS ROOTS GRANT Chewin T Cud volunteers applied for a grant to the Barnsley Chronicle Community cash give away and were successful. We received £700 for which we are very grateful as this will allow us to publish the next quarterly edition of the Chewin t Cud magazine. Carol Handley - Our Local Poet We the volunteers of Chewin T Cud magazine would like to thank Carol Handley our local Poet. We think of Carol as a friend to Chewin T Cud both with donations and allowing us to print her poems. We appreciate that Carol suffers from bad health and know that she is very supportive to this charity. We wish you every good wish with your ill health and your book “Life, Love and Little Mary” Poems From The Heart . Chewin T Cud Volunteers To:- Lisa, Shaun, Erin & Tara Key Keep giving us a progress report of life in Australia. Every best wish for your new life. STAMP YOUR APPROVAL. The volunteers appreciate all donations to the Cud. It has been suggested that we ask anyone interested to donate unused postage stamps (1 st or 2nd class) towards our costs. This would help us to keep costs down, and be a very big help to us. We thank you in anticipation, and they can be forwarded to Malc at his address. CUDWORTH MALE VOICE CHOIR The above choir are urgently in need of new members and invite anyone who is interested in singing to come along and join us. We sing a wide variation of music from traditional male voice music to songs from the shows, swing and pop. We rehearse at the Cudworth Methodist Church on alternate Sundays and Friday at 7:30pm. - For more information please contact:  Mr. S. Pinkney on 01977 614275  Mr. J Hambleton on 01226 710674 ROY BRISTOW, 50 years ago on 19 July 1959 a Cudworth lad was tragically killed age 18 at Ackworth. R.I.P. - Linda (e-mail). Charges for small Community Groups With publication costs soaring and Chewin t Cud ever increasing printing charges to produce, money which has to be found by the Volunteers, it has now become necessary for us to make a small charge to community groups which are run as a business. To All Church And Community Groups May we remind you that we are always happy to print church or community news, events etc, all we ask is that you restrict your news to no more than half a page. Chewin t Cud - June 2009 Issue 50

10 Widdecombe Fair at Snydale Road about 1958 Our teacher at the time, Mrs Marsh produced “Widdecombe Fair” a play which was really good fun. It was a play which gave lots of pupils a chance to take part. I didn‟t have a lot of confidence but enjoyed it just the same, and I was very pleased to be taking part. I remember various things about the play, but only had a small part, so I could spend a lot of time observing, and not performing, even learning the lines of the others, as children do. It was a very colourful play, with lots of action, it was funny, and we had piano music to accompany the performers. We did a lot of singing, and it was quite noisy at times. It was great fun coming off the stage, running round the back to get on the stage again minutes later at the other side. The piano was at the left hand side of the stage at the front, and had to be pushed into place every day. I don‟t remember who played it, probably one of the teachers. There was always a team of strong lads who happily pushed it from the centre store room every time it was needed. The play consisted of different story lines all brought together skilfully by Mrs Marsh with good interlinking scenes. Some of the characters in the play were Robin Hood, Will Scarlet, Little John, Friar Tuck oh - and a horse of course! It was a busy play, Mrs Marsh had carefully planned a lot of characters to include as many children as possible, the stage got quite crowded at times with groups of villagers chatting and children playing. I think the audience enjoyed the bit where the 2 people playing the horse came apart – oops! It caused quite a titter. There was a village fair scene, where just about everyone was on the stage at the same time – how did the stage floor stand it? The outfits were very colourful, and took a lot of putting together I suspect. My outfit was very easy, I played the part of an old woman collecting sticks for the fire. I wore a long black gathered skirt, a big white blouse and a deep red shawl wrapped tightly round me, I carried a bundle of sticks under my arm. I only had a few words to say, but important to the script, I was very worried I might forget my lines, but luckily I remembered the whole sentence which was “Yes, and they say he is going to be hanged.” The story was about Will Scarlet who, at the time, had been stealing or causing trouble. Goodness knows how the main characters remembered their lines. It was a good play, and all the cast had a good time. Is there anyone else out there who remembers being in it? Patricia Allman 2008 - e-mail ******************************************************** I was lucky enough to be selected to play the part of Robin Hood in the Snydale Road Junior School production of Widdicombe Fair. I believe Ellis Stirton played Will Scarlet and Christopher Ball played Little John. Christopher was the tallest boy in the class, and therefore the ideal candidate.

Chewin t Cud - June 2009 Issue 50

11 Truthfully, I can remember very little of the main play except there being lots of colourful costumes and backdrops. My part in one scene required me to have a bow and arrows (naturally) and I endeavoured to make them myself from suitable branches from Storrs Mill Wood. The school had very little in the way of specialist props and we had to improvise many things in those days. During the play, I had to fire the arrows into the wing of the set as part of the Widdicombe Fair Archery contest. The first two arrows flew straight and true and brought the expected applause from the rest of the cast. Unfortunately, the 3rd and last arrow in my home-made quiver, which was the one meant to win the contest, flew to the right and exited stage left in front of the stage curtain in full view of the audience. Having only the 3 arrows, it was impossible for me to shoot another. There was an eerie silence for a few seconds before someone (thankfully) continued with the expected lines and proclaimed me the winner. There was some laughter from the audience and an embarrassed look on my face for some minutes afterwards. John Francis 2008 - (e-mail from Patricia Allman) ********************************************** Additional material from Mrs Marsh formerly Miss Robinson There was a song which went with the play, still with me today. Tom Pearce, Tom Pearce lend me your grey mare All along, out along, down along lee For we want to go-o to Widdicombe Fair Wi Bill Brewer, Jan Stewer, Peter Gurney, Peter Davey, Danil Widden, Harry Hawke, Old Uncle Tom Cobleigh and all Old Uncle Tom Cobleigh and all The play was chosen to include a lot of children, if not all and to have various “SHOWS” at the Fair, with song, dance and drama. The grey mare proved to be a challenge but the finished effort was quite majestic, almost filling the stage. There were two boys making the mare. One boy was upright at the front and one at the back, with the costume I made draped over them both. The head which was separate, was made of cardboard at the sides with big eyes and lashes, and big teeth all painted on. The mare had a mane and a long tail made of black wool. The middle section was grey velvet, bought from Barnsley market. Having got this creature up onto the stage, with Uncle Tom Cobleigh sitting on top, I suggested to it to “move around A LITTLE”. It took off at speed and Uncle Tom Cobleigh fell off clutching the material as he went, revealing all underneath! A lot of loud laughter came from the audience. The boys playing the mare wore dark trousers with grey socks over their shoes. I wonder if those two boys remember? S M Marsh 2009 - (e-mail from Patricia Allman) Chewin t Cud - June 2009 Issue 50

12 Dear Malc Dear Malc, I think the phrase Dear Malc should be a national treasure and be recognized throughout the English-speaking world, indeed possibly throughout the rest of humanity. We here in Cudworth have this privilege, because of the excellent magazine; Chewin-t-Cud and I feel it is our duty to share this with the world. Greece gave the world democracy, Rome gave us civilization and we should give Dear Malc. Dear Malc is such a cozy way to start a story. It is far and away better than Once upon a Time. If you want the proof just read on. Dear Malc, there were once three bears; what more proof do you need? I know you must, by now, be thinking now can I help? Should I be contacting my M.P. or organizing a march to raise awareness? My advise is don‟t panic, since something as good as this will sort itself out. I believe it will slowly catch on until the rest of the world grows to love it and similar to Shakespeare‟s and Dickens‟ work will live forever. By Ronnie Neville P.S. Wouldn‟t it be a good idea to have a plaque above Malc‟s front door saying, “Dear Malc” Lives Here.

18th July 2009 11am - 3pm Why not come along and enjoy a good time at Cudworth Park plenty for the kids to see and do. | Bouncy Castles | Colouring Competition | | Five-A-Side Football | Fire Brigade | Police | Stalls | | Bric-a-Brac | Tombola | Cake Stalls | Majorettes | The event will be opened by The Mayor and Cudworth‟s own Dorothy Hyman at 11am. Chewin t Cud - June 2009 Issue 50

13 Pontefract Road School Hi Alan, In the photo me jumping over the bar others left to right .J Driver, L Padget Mr Dixon (Teacher), M Hurst and I think E Lambert, photo taken on the old Village Club football ground sometime around 1949-50 - school sports day!! regards - Roy Bird (New Zealand) – e-mail Supplied by Jack Doughty

Jack Doughty. Ruth Shelton. Doris Iverson. ??. ??. Audrey Thacker. Jenny Newbury? Chewin t Cud - June 2009 Issue 50

14 It’s not only our Motorways that are subject to Lane Closures

I note with interest the sign stating that 3 Nooks Lane will be closed permanently from 16.02.09. Near the Road Closure sign is a relatively new „Three Nooks Lane‟ road sign. I don‟t know exactly when this sign was erected but it is obviously new and once again it would appear that a costly amount of ratepayers‟ money has been paid for provision of the sign which is already redundant. Be interesting to find out exactly how much it did cost plus labour for fixing it in position. On second thoughts maybe it is intended for the By-pass contractors so that they don‟t hit the wrong lane with their machinery! As previously mentioned in my last article the area around the lane served us well for scores of years without us requiring geographical directions as to where we were for all we did have the old water tank as a landmark to guide us in the past as indeed was pointed out in Ronnie Neville‟s article and the one from Alan Curtis in the March, 2009 issue. The first six months As I mentioned in my own article in issue No.49 of this magazine I hoped to be able to travel around and keep an eye on the progress of the By-pass. This I have done come rain, snow and blow and have taken many pics over the last six months from as far afield as Fish Dam Lane (Spanner Bridge), Farfield Lane in Monk Bretton which leads to the rear of the glassworks, atop Cudworth Bridges to see the development around West Green and the cutting through the railway embankment near Bleachcroft Farm up towards the rear of Cudworth Park. I went to Sidcop Lane and watched the big earth-movers and diggers toiling with their loads from around the Royston Road cutting. Royston Road will be closed for 40 weeks whilst the cutting and road bridge was being prepared. To date I haven‟t seen very much action taken around the Three Nooks Lane area for all there has been some activity at the bottom of the lane and on the site of the former tips on Weetshaw Lane towards Shafton. Dust to dust I got me a new car last week – perhaps more accurate to report that I washed my old one and now it looks a lot newer! Two days afterwards I took note of the amount of dust that had collected on it and realised that the dust was most likely due to the digging and shifting of earth associated with the Cudworth/West Green by-pass. Where I live in Fish Dam Lane, Monk Bretton, a lot of the preparatory work etc. connected with the By-pass occurs within a mile of here and even beyond this when the wind is blowing from an easterly direction then obviously the dust has to settle somewhere Chewin t Cud - June 2009 Issue 50

15 and like many other residents in the area we cop for the dust on washing, windows and wherever else it decides to settle. I have feelings for the schoolchildren and staff of Cherry Dale and residents in the vicinity of Royston Road where the by-pass is being processed, they have also been subjected to other developments nearby with a new cemetery and park facilities which has meant more soil disturbed and consequently more dust. At one time we blamed the pits for the dust from the spoil heaps in this particular part of Planet Earth, Monk Bretton, and over the past 10 years or so we have had many upsets with demolition of an Adult school followed by clearance of the site followed by the building of houses on the site, not to mention demolition of bungalows in Blundell Court and Crosby Court and the re-building of houses and flats on the flattened sites all within half a mile of here. The site of the former Monk Bretton pit has also been developed as an Industrial Park. We‟ve also had the road heightened, installation of bigger water pipes for industry (mainly Lyons‟ bakery) then the Yorkshire Cable team digging up trenches for the laying of optic cable for television & telephones etc). A row of houses was demolished in Burton Road due to subsidence. All these actions/developments have necessitated the land being disturbed locally and the distribution of consequent dust still occurs daily for us all to enjoy? Maybe I should accept the consequences above as even in the R.N. my trade was that of a Jack Dusty. Was the flag a white duster I wonder? Future road closures Thinking of my previous article I mentioned about my elder brother, Ron, and I, walking through Silverwood‟s field between 3 Nooks Lane and Royston Road after a very heavy snowfall during the 1947 winter which closed Royston Road to traffic with something like 5ft. snowdrifts. My thoughts gave way to any future bad winters after the by-pass is up and running, especially now that an underpass on Royston Road has been created. From studying the area and remembering the past I think this huge cutting could act as a funnel when the snows come and as before in 1947 cause a blockage on the new by-pass with nothing to stop the weather howling across the landscape from the edge of the Pennines and deposit snowdrifts similar to the one 62 years ago or maybe worse. I hope I‟m wrong in my estimation as there are many points to consider e.g., Ambulance Emergency Services some of which are based in Industry Road, Monk Bretton, and Fire and Rescue Services who may be housed in the new Fire Station planned near Cudworth Bridges. Then there‟s the necessity for speedy access to patients by Doctors The cutting for the underpass plus last, but by no means least, our on Royston Road. Police Services attending accidents and crime scenes etc. Unbeknown to me at time of writing this article, the planners may have allowed for snowbarriers to be erected on either side of the by-pass thus preventing snowdrifts forming – I sincerely hope this is the case. Hopefully more to follow. - Clarrie Gibson with dust mask 22nd April 2009 Chewin t Cud - June 2009 Issue 50

16 Carlton Marsh (February to April) Too late for inclusion in my last report was the Waxwings (D. M. Smith) arrival of hundreds of Waxwings from Russia. These exquisitely coloured birds began to arrive on the 28th January when 236 were feeding on berries in a garden on Victoria Road in Barnsley. At the same time another 200 were seen in Locke Park. Kristan Neale and Jamie Clay discovered 2 on the same day feeding on cotoneaster berries opposite the Victoria garage in Cudworth. Waxwings are exotic looking birds and from a distance look very much like a Starling. They are quite fearless and very approachable. Meanwhile at Carlton Marsh our regular observers were preoccupied with a Bittern that gave brief views before the light faded on most evenings until mid-March. A paler bird was seen with it on no less than five occasions, suggesting that two were present for most of the winter. Interest generated by our Bitterns produced a dearth of other sightings, which included a pair of Tawny Owls that regularly called at dusk and a Woodcock was seen on three dates. In February huge skeins of Pink Feet Geese passed through South Yorkshire from the east and south east heading to the Lancashire and Cumbrian coasts. On the morning of the 19th an estimated 1,600 birds flew west over Carlton Marsh. Two pairs of Stonechats that had spent the winter in the meadows finally departed in early March. A Peregrine Falcon flew north on the 13 th and Buzzards were seen on the 1st, 21st (2 together) and 26th. Geoff Miller saw 30 Waxwings fly over Beech Avenue on the 16th and Peter Gough reported 30 in the Chapel Street area of Shafton on the 19th. 8 feeding on Cotoneaster berries on Brierley Road/Regina Crescent increased to 30 on the 20th and 25 flew east over Carlton Marsh on the 23 rd. Spring migration involving birds returning from southern climes began with a Chiffchaff on the 18th of March and during a mild spell on the 21 st the first Swallow of the year was heading north. It was the earliest ever recorded here! 60 Curlews flew south east on the 29th and a Blackcap arrived on the 31st. Then a cold spell delayed our first Willow warbler, which didnâ€&#x;t arrive until 5 th April. Quiet, relatively warm weather from the 10th produced 2 House Martins and 2 Goshawks on the 13 th followed by a Lesser Whitethroat and a Cuckoo on the 14 th. Then came Whitethroat on the 20th, Sedge Warbler on the 22nd and Reed Warbler on the 24th. On Darfield Road, Cudworth an escaped male Golden Pheasant found its way into Ronnie Nevilleâ€&#x;s garden on the 8th March. Mammals included sightings of Fox, Hare, Hedgehog and Pygmy Shrew and I am very pleased to report that a small number of Water Voles were seen. I had wonderful encounter with a dog fox one evening at dusk. I was sitting on one of the seats along the old railway embankment when it came up the bank. It obviously wanted to come passed me, but was naturally unwilling to do so. Now only 35 yards from me he started barking menacingly as if to say move out of the way I want to come by. After staring him out, he went back down the bank out of site, but still barking in Chewin t Cud - June 2009 Issue 50

17 disgust. A Grass Snake in March was followed by two more in April basking in the warmth of the sun. Easterly winds in April produced a number of wandering, sulphur-yellow, male Brimstone butterflies. Wild flowers included Snowdrop, Primrose, Cowslip, Wood Anemone Jack-by-the-hedge, Dog Violet and Yellow Archangel. Bittern (Botaurus stellaris) The Bittern is a member of the Heron family, but it is slightly smaller than the Grey Heron. It is goldenbrown with a black crown and nape, mottled and streaked with various amounts of black to give it a cryptic plumage. It blends in perfectly with Common Reed its preferred habitat. The status of this species is considerably better than it was a few years ago when it was very close to extinction, but thanks to careful management by the RSPB and similar organisations its future looks much brighter. By buying and flooding more land to create large stands of Common Reed the British population has now increased to 75 booming males from about 18 ten years ago. In the breeding Bittern (D. M. Smith) season the maleâ€&#x;s foghorn-like boom can be heard as early as January and is audible at a considerable distance, but it is very secretive and shy and therefore stays well hidden from view. It feeds on fish, frogs, newts, crustaceans and small mammals and lays up to 6 olive-brown eggs in a nest made of reeds and sedge by the female. The main breeding areas are in Norfolk, Suffolk and Lancashire. During the colder months the British population is swelled by birds arriving from Northern Europe to winter here, but little is known of their precise origin. They are very difficult to catch, but bird ringers have had some success and by fitting radio transmitters to them they have been able to monitor them much more easily. Last year a wintering bird ringed in England was retrapped after it had returned to Finland in the spring. Nearer to home Carlton Marsh provided food and shelter for two birds during last winter. For such a small reserve to have two out of an estimated British wintering population of about 150 is quite remarkable. To see a Bittern is an experience in itself. The best time to see them is shortly before dusk as they begin to climb up the reed stems to survey the seen. Until they do that it is usually impossible to see them. They clamber up grasping up to twelve reed stems with each foot, a remarkable feat considering how flimsy dead reed stems are. Then if you are lucky, just before the light fades, it will take flight to feed or roost out of sight in another reed bed a short distance away. In slow flight mode it is reminiscent of a very large owl quartering over the marsh. Sometimes when the straw-coloured reed stems are thin enough to see through it may be possible to see a Bittern feeding. When it becomes alarmed it throws its head up and with its neck outstretched and its dagger-like bill pointing to the sky it remains motionless for some considerable time. The Recorder – April 2009 Chewin t Cud - June 2009 Issue 50


Chewin t Cud - June 2009 Issue 50


Chewin t Cud - June 2009 Issue 50

20 Remembering Old Friends Arthur Ward Arty Ward was born in Cudworth on 17 th August 1914 the son of Mary Ann and Walter Ward. Arty and his seven brothers and sisters lived in Belmont on the Birkwood estate. Arty left school at fourteen in 1928 to work at New Monckton pit, but after two years he moved to Wharncliffe Woodmoor 4 & 5 at Carlton where his first job was to look after the pit ponies. That is where Arty first gained an affinity with horses, which stayed with him for the rest of his life. Arty married his wife Kathleen in 1937 and they went to live on Moorland Terrace in the 1960‟s. At the start of the Second World War Arty was 25 and was working as a miner to produce enough coal for the war effort. He spent the war years working at Monk Bretton and Houghton Main pits, but after the war he worked at Grimethorpe before returning to Carlton where he was made redundant in 1970. Arty was unemployed for a while until he started back at Grimethorpe. After 50 years down the pit, he finally took early retirement at the age of 64, in 1978. He was one of the most experienced men at the pit having spent most of his life working with coal cutting machines. Arty liked a bet and a pint or two while playing bingo in Darfield Road Club with Kathleen and their friends. He was a member of the club for 69 years. Arty Ward on his allotment In his leisure time he cultivated an allotment, kept pigs, horses, donkeys and a host of other animals. Arty loved animals especially horses and spent his life buying and selling them; he preferred a horse and cart to a car. He would buy and sell just about anything. Arty was a gentleman who was always polite and kind and if anyone asked him to get them something he would do his best to get it, at the right price of course. He had always been in close touch with travelling people and gypsies, some of whom lived in covered wagons down Carrs Lane in the 1930‟s. Arty lost his wife Kathleen on Valentine‟s Day 2000 after 63 years of happily married life. He enjoyed good health until shortly before his death in November 2001 aged 87. St. John‟s Church was packed with family and friends for his funeral. The coffin was taken to the church in a coach pulled by two highly decorative black horses especially brought in by the undertaker from Cambridge. It was a glorious send off for a man who had loved horses all his long life. Arty and Kathleen have three children Peter, Brian and Margaret and six great grand children. John Mathew Barrens Johnny Barrens, the „whispering baritone,‟ was another larger than life character who was very well known in the village. He must have been born with extra lung capacity, as his normal speaking voice was audible at considerable distance. Johnny, born of Irish descent in 1899, was well liked and very generous to those less well off than himself. In his younger days he worked in Leeds for Burton‟s the tailor and was alChewin t Cud - June 2009 Issue 50

21 ways dressed in a suit and dickie bow. He took most of his holidays in Blackpool, but he never married. Towards the end of his career he worked for the local council on the dustbins. Alan Brown used to help him and in return after receiving his wage packet Johnny would put a small amount of money in another packet for Alan, who waited for him on the wall near the council offices. Alan, who had learning difficulties, would then happily take the wage packet home to his mother to impress upon her what a clever fellow he was. Johnny loved to watch football and although he supported Barnsley, his favorite team was Manchester United. I often saw him on a Saturday afternoon at the bus stop ready and eager to go to a match. He was also an avid supporter of Yorkshire County Cricket Club. Johnny of Almond Avenue died in hospital and was buried on the 9th of October 1978 aged 79 with his sister Veronica Woods. Ronald Ash Ronnie Ash was born in 1924 at 342 Barnsley Road, Cudworth the son of Joseph and Lily Ash. He attended Pontefract Road Infants and Junior Schools before going to the Secondary Modern School. After leaving school at 14 Ronnie was a machine tool turner on a lathe at Newton‟s Garage on Pontefract Road. He was conscripted into the army during the Second World War and after six weeks training he served in the West Country at Yeovil, Somerset, as a clerk. After the war he returned to his job at Newton‟s before joining his father in the family confectionery business in 1949. He had already met his eventual wife Kathleen Hopkinson who lived just a few doors away. After they were married in October 1949 Kath and Ronnie moved into No. 8 Pontefract Road where their daughter Gillian Anne was born a few years later. Kath‟s father, Mr William Miles Hopkinson, had a grocers shop at 338 Barnsley Road and he kept his horse in a stable in the grounds of „The Cottage‟ on Royston Road. The upper floor of this large brick-built barn was used for various activities over the years. It was there that as a young man Ronnie used to attend sports meetings. When Mrs. Hirst sold cottage in the 1970‟s Mr. Walter Walker bought the house and barn and he made coffins in the upper floor room. The stables by that time were being used as garages. After Walter retired to Harrogate his son David converted the whole building into offices, but in the 1980‟s the old barn was demolished to make way for a new housing development. Kath & Ronnie Ash I lived immediately across the road from Ronnie and Kath, on Royston Road, and during the time I was growing up in the 1950‟s Ronnie was always in the shop wearing his white smock, serving with a smile. He wasn‟t a tall man, but his noticeable upright posture and gait gave the impression of a physically fit man with boundless energy. Ronnie was a very kind, pleasant natured man who always treated us kids with nothing but friendliness. Geoff Austwick and I often called into the shop for some „spice‟ on our way to and Chewin t Cud - June 2009 Issue 50

22 from the Secondary Modern School; Geoff‟s mother worked in the bake-house at the back of the shop. My mother often ran out of bread after the shop had closed, she would say, „Cliff nip to the back door of Ronnie‟s and fetch me an uncut loaf.‟ After knocking at the window at least twice to ask me if I remembered what I was going for, off I would go. It didn‟t matter that the shop was shut as Ronnie‟s sister, Margaret, was always there to sell me a lovely fresh baked loaf. My mother would often send me on an errand to buy some of Ronnie‟s lovely potted meat, which he carefully wrapped up in greaseproof paper. I used to like to watch him cutting corned beef or bacon on the slicer. I can still hear the distinctive sound of that bacon slicer. As a treat for me, when she could afford it, my mother gave me enough money to get some of Ronnie‟s bilberry pies with cream on top, they were my favourite. Ronnie worked for the Co-op in Barnsley for a while before he retired in 1980. Ten years later he and Kath moved into a bungalow at Carlton, but they still came back to Cudworth to visit Kath‟s sister Olive and brother in law Ron Smethurst. Ronnie died after a long illness in September 2008. He is survived by his wife Kathleen, daughter Gillian Anne and her husband Roy and grandson Alex who Ronnie was naturally very proud of. Ronnie‟s sister Margaret had taken him to the Wesleyan Church Sunday School from the age of 5 and he was so taken by it that he continued worshiping there for the next 78 years. Ronnie was a lifelong and hard working member of the Methodist Church right up to his death. He worked quietly, but efficiently at all the jobs he undertook for the church. His last task was to stamp everybody‟s star card when he was in charge of the attendance register. C. Gorman – April 2009 Cudworth Probus Club: Speakers 2009 Meeting held on 28th January; the speaker was Mr. Colin Mcdermott a special friend of the club, Colin‟s subject was The Americas and the constitution. Mr. Alan Curtis thanked Colin for a fascinating talk. Meeting held on 11th February the speaker was Mr Geoff Towers, Geoff gave a fascinating talk relating to his experiences as a Halifax Bomber rear gunner (tail end Charlie) serving in bomber command 158 Squadron, Geoff was only 18 years old at the time 1944-45 and completed 40 operations, 13 daylight and 27 night time. Among the many raids Geoff took part in was the 1000 bomber raid on Essen, also the Nuremberg raid on 30th March 1945 when 95 bombers were shot down, compared with 9 German planes. Geoff stated that the crew of seven on the Halifax bomber were just like a band of brothers. Among many the casualty figures Geoff gave was that 78 crew members of the Squadron have no known graves. 55.773 RAF personnel were killed during operations over Europe in WW2. Mr John Hayhoe the club‟s vice president thanked Mr. Towers for talking about his experiences and visiting the club. Meeting held on the 25th February the speaker was Mr. Harry Waring, the nephew of Eddie Waring (the voice of rugby league) Harry gave a sometimes moving account Chewin t Cud - June 2009 Issue 50

23 of Eddie‟s life and mentioned his famous expressions delivered with the unique vowel sound that he had, we all know – “early bath”, “up and under” and “he‟s missed it - the poor lad”, when Don Fox playing for Wakefield Trinity in the challenge cup final on Saturday 11th May 1968 missed a goal kick a few yards out! Handing the cup to Leeds. Eddie was born in 1910 in Dewsbury and started his career as a journalist with a local paper, he also ran the Dewsbury boys team, (later named - The Black Knights) and sang in the chapel choir and he was also an auxiliary policeman, he commentated on his last match in 1981 when the effects of Alzheimer‟s disease was noticeable. David Coleman presented Eddie with a replica of the BBC sports personality TV camera at the same match and he retired from the game that same day. Sadly Eddie died in 1986 aged 76, what a character (and a legend!) He is still missed by Rugby league fans to this day. Mr Ernest Oliver thanked Harry on behalf of the club for his talk on his famous nephew; all the members of the club enjoyed it. Speaker for Wed 11th March was Mr. Tony Senior, Tony‟s subject was entitled - The Internet and me, Mr. Alan Curtis thanked Tony for his talk. Meeting held on 25th March, the speaker was Mr. Fred Copeland, his subject wasThe Roman Army, Fred gave a fascinating insight into all aspects of the self sufficient Army over the centuries. Mr. Les Rymer thank him for his talk. The speaker for the 8th of April was an old friend of the club –Mr. Stephen Gay; Stephen presented a Slide show entitled – Walking the line, (discovering lost railways). Mr. Don Shenton, an ex railway signalman thanked Stephen for a nostalgic look back in time. The speaker for the 22nd April was Mrs. Kate Taylor, her subject was- how the assizes came to Leeds; Kate gave a very interesting talk regarding the history of the assizes, (criminal trials) which were held in towns since medieval times, and finally they were held in Leeds from 1864 and continued up to 1971 when the County, magistrate and criminal Courts took over and held the trials in Towns and Cities throughout the land. Mr. Keith Donkin thanked Mrs Taylor for a wonderful talk. Footnote. Although I served in the army myself, the only action I was involved in were the army Cookhouses at Rheindahlen, Bielefeld and Berlin, but it was (sometimes hostile!) especially if it was mashed potato powder called POM on the menu! The men always knew (You could never disguise it from the real mashed potato made with fresh potatoes). So it has been a great privilege to listen to Ron Parton‟s Army talk on 19th November last and Geoff Towers RAF on 30th March. Two of the most unassuming modest veterans you Geoff Towers & Ron Parton could wish to meet who were involved in the real action. Submitted by - Alan Curtis. Club member - April 2009 Chewin t Cud - June 2009 Issue 50

24 Water Tower I have just been reading your March magazine about the Water Tower. I played all around these streets as a child, (I didn't climb the Tower). We always looked for it on the way home from a day trip with the Sawdust club. My friend Beryl Hunter (nee Watts) and I spent many happy hours playing in the allotments as her dad (Cliff) and granddad and Uncle Jim Williamson all had one. We used to make a fire and cook gooseberries or other fruit to eat, sometimes burnt and we came home with singed hair and eyebrows and reeking of smoke. Beryl's dad kept my mum going with vegetables during hard times. We also remember watching Uncle Jim's pig having a litter of piglets, it was fascinating, I can't remember how many, but it was a lot, I have never forgotten that. I live in Pontefract now and have for nearly 50 years but I visit Shafton often and my husband's cousin Alec Draper sends me CHEWIN t CUD and I pass it on to Beryl who lives in Bedford. It's a great magazine, keep it up. Mrs Pam Bird (Nee Brooksbank) New to Computer Recently I joined an ancestry group at the Snydale Road School. Although I couldn't use a computer, I was made to feel welcome and was given loads of help. I'd like to thank Sandra, Sheila and John for their kindness and patience and for the help that they gave me. I'd also like to thank the rest of the group for making me feel so welcome. The group meets on Tuesday mornings between 10am and midday. I found it both informative and enjoyable and would recommend it to anybody interested in tracing their family tree. Cynthia Rooke Top Ender I enjoyed March 09 issue so much this time because its about the Top End as we used to call it. I lived at 35 The Grove as a girl and then after I came back after the forces. I remember the Water Tower hill and most of the places mentioned. Also mentioned is Broadchest, right name. Esmi Haigh. An Orange Juice My dad was sitting drinking a glass of pop, in the Sawdust, recently when a friend of his exclaimed, “Ivor, is that a glass of orange juice,?” “Listen mate,” he replied. “If you had what I‟ve got, you‟d be drinking orange juice.” “What‟s that?” he asked. “Forty pence,” said my dad. By Ronnie Neville Chewin t Cud - June 2009 Issue 50

25 Gardening Club – Birkwood Primary School - Cudworth Year 1 & 2 have set up a gardening club in order to grow and sell a range of produce to raise necessary funds. Over 50 % of our Key Stage 1 children began planting, indoors back in February 2009. Not only will the charity benefit but so has the environment at Birkwood! After a visit from a charity that help underprivileged communities in Africa, Birkwood Primary School would like to help. It is our aim to raise enough money to „Send a Cow‟ to Africa. The children of Birkwood now have a greater understanding of a range of global issues. Empathising with those less fortunate than themselves is something Mrs Shaw is keen to encourage our children. When the school sought help, Mr Homer and Miss Smith answered the call. Not only have they obtained many resources such as wood and soil they have worked tirelessly to turn an unused part of the car park into a productive allotment. Advertising for volunteers to help with the garden beds, willing volunteers from Inspace Partnership, Barnsley, was Darren Pierrepont, Pat Sugden, Leigh Paddon, Gennette Pearson, Darren Ferguson, Kevin Frankland, Ray Lymer and Mick Chandler Many thanks also to N&D, B&Q, Howarth Timber, Barnsley Timber and Focus DIY and many others for their generous support. The school still requires kind donations of general gardening materials. Should you be able to help please contact Mrs Hooper on 710447. Any articles, photographs or advertisements for the September 2009 issue of the magazine to reach us before

31st July 2009

Chewin t Cud - June 2009 Issue 50

26 RAILWAY EMPLOYMENT IN CUDWORTH A great number of Cudworth families relied upon the railway or the pits for employment. On the railway the main places for jobs were the station, Carlton Royston shed or the Hull & Barnsley shed. Family names have come to light of staff employed at the Hull & Barnsley yard and depot around the end of the first world war. Whilst the information is sketchy I list below what has been found: H&B Railway employees at Cudworth around 1920 DOB Frank Grayson Robert Percy Clark Harold Clark Christopher Blenkam Geoffrey Blenkham Thomas Blenkham William Hammond George Stanley Holmes Henry Lowe George Thomas Samual Halling 17.04.1850 Ernest Yarrow 18.09.1898 Fredrick William Hodges 25.02.1897 Albert Barker 16.02.1896 Arthur Chapman 13.09.1900 William Fletcher 06.08.1897 Fredrick William Huntley Bullock 20.08.1900 Albert Garwell 18.09.1895 George Cross 01.12.1850 Joseph Henry Cook 08.02.1898 Robert Shillito 17.07.1895 Cuthbert William Peace 31.10.1903 Horace Walkman 19.07.1908 Edward Thorpe 22.01.1902 Albert Edward Lawton 06.07.1894 Clarence Parker 15.05.1903 Ernest Wrigley 30.12.1898 Laurence Brooksbanks 18.09.1895


18.10.1886 28.10.1912 23.05.1910 22.02.1915 13.05.1914 04.03.1914 09.02.1920 23.02.1920 02.11.1885 12.11.1914 28.11.1921 21.05.1917 05.04.1921 05.07.1915 29.09.1919 15.05.1919 20.11.1917 22.02.1915

GEORGE CROSS He joined at the age of almost 35 years old as a Goods Guard at Cudworth on ÂŁ1-3-0s per week. The Hull & Barnsley had opened 4 months earlier. He went on to retire through illhealth, on 22nd May 1911 at the age of 60 and died on 13 th April 1914 at the age of 63. His whole railway career was blighted by self-inflicted incidents which the management of the H&B Railway handled with immense patience!

Chewin t Cud - June 2009 Issue 50


18.10.1886 01.12.1886 23.02.1888 28.09.1888 26.09.1889 09.12.1889 05.02.1890 22.10.1890 20.01.1891 01.06.1892 08.07.1892 23.01.1894 23.02.1894 28.08.1895 20.05.1896 07.09.1897 23.05.1901 07.06.1902 13.11.1903 17.10.1904 02.05.1905 21.03.1906 18.07.1907 23.11.1907 16.06.1911 22.05.1911

Wages per week £1-3-0

started his career fined 10/- for gross carelessness whilst shunting fined 1/- for careless shunting £1-5-0 reprimanded for not taking care and damaging a meat van reprimanded for not setting the points correctly fined 1/- for causing locomotive to leave the road £1-6-0 reprimanded for careless shunting reprimanded for over-carrying a wagon reprimanded for making false statements in his journal £1-7-0 reprimanded for careless shunting damaging the South Cave warehouse £1-8-0 fined 1/- neglect of duty causing delay £1-9-0 reprimanded for not making out a report fined 1/- for stopping a fast train at North Cave to put out a bundle of bags reprimanded for not seeing road clear reprimanded for careless shunting fined 2/6d for causing damage to a wagon cautioned for having 2 wagons derailed cautioned for causing delay by not coming on duty cautioned careless working reprimanded for 2 wagons derailed reprimanded for taking a wagon as empty when it was loaded reprimanded for failing to come on duty and over-carrying a wagon reprimanded for being away from duty through drink £1-7-0 reduced (to points-man) for leaving his train to get a drink £1-5-0 cautioned for causing wagons to leave the road £1-7-0 ill-health, not suitable for guard duties.

SAMUAL HALLING He was 36 when he started work on the H&B on the 18 th October 1886, as a shunter at Cudworth earning £1-0-0 per week. From 10th March 1887 he was promoted to NightForeman on £1-3-0 per week and from 12th December 1887 earned £1-7-0 per week. On 7th July 1890 he was made Foreman and by 2 nd October 1899 was earning £1-14-0 per week. He encountered ill-health on 21st January 1907 and retired on 31 st December 1919 at 69 years old on 15/- per week. He died on 13th April 1922. ALBERT BARKER He joined as Number-Taker at Cudworth at the age of 19 on 22 nd February 1915 on £1-80 per week. He was appointed Porter at Upton on 9 th June 1919 and was Signalman at Hemsworth from 22nd September 1919 until 18th June 1920 when he went as signalman at Wrangbrook South. ARTHUR CHAPMAN He joined at Cudworth at the age of almost 14 years as a Messenger on 8/- per week, which went up to 10/- a year later. On 20th June 1915 he became a Telegraph Clerk on £26 p. a. which went to £30 p. a. a year later. However he left on 17 th February 1917.

Chewin t Cud - June 2009 Issue 50

28 WILLIAM FLETCHER He joined as Caller-up at Cudworth on 4th March 1914 on 16/- per week; but left on 21st September 1915 FREDRICK WILLIAM HUNTLEY BULLOCK He joined as Number-Taker at Cudworth on 9th February 1920 and died 13th October 1921. ALBERT GARWELL He joined as Number-Taker at Cudworth on 23rd February 1920 and became Shunter Class 3 from 7th December 1921 on £3-7-6. ERNEST YARROW Born on 18th September 1898 he joined on 28th October 1912 as a Messenger at Cudworth on 6/- per week rising to 9/- from 18th August 1913. On May 11th 1914 he became a Telegraph Clerk on £25 p. a. which increased to £30 from May 1915 and £35 from May 1916 to £40 from May 1917 and to £50 p. a. from 15 th May 1918. He was however called into the “European War” and was reported missing on 5 th April 1918. FREDRICK WILLIAM HODGES At the age of 13 he joined as a Messenger at Cudworth on 5/- per week and from 11th August 1913 became Number-Taker at Stairfoot, before being called-up from 12th June 1916 to 5th June 1920. He returned as Shunter Class 3 for £3-3-0 on 7th June 1920 and Class 1 shunter on £3-14-6 from 28th November 1921. From 1st July 1922 he was transferred to the LNER on grouping. JOSEPH HENRY COOK He started as Lamp lad at Barmby on 12/- per week on 12th November 1914 and became Porter at Howden on 3rd March 1919 on £1-0-0 per week. From 1st January 1920 he became Shunter Class 3 at Cudworth earning £2-19-0 per week, becoming Class 2 on 14 th June 1920 earning £3-8-6 and Class 1 on 28th November 1921 earning £3-14-6, he transferred to LNER on 1st July 1922 under grouping. ROBERT SHILLITO He started as Tranship Porter at Cudworth on 28 th November 1921 on £3-3-6. CUTHBERT WILLIAM PEACE He started as Messenger at Cudworth on 21 st May 1917 on 8/- per week; but resigned on 14th June 1919. HORACE WALKHAM He started as Messenger at Cudworth on 5th April 1921 on 10/10d and was earning £1-5-0 on transfer to LNER under grouping. EDWARD THORPE He joined as Messenger at Cudworth on 5 th July 1915 on 8/- per week at the age of 13years and 9 months, he resigned on 12 th May 1917. ALBERT EDWARD LAWTON He joined as Lamp lad at Cudworth on 29 th September 1919 on £1-1-0 per week. On 1st January 1920 he became Signal Lamp-man on £3-0-0 per week and was earning £3-4-6 from 14th June 1920. On 23rd November 1921 he became Shunter Class 3 on £3-7-6 per week; but was reduced to £2-15-6 following a disciplinary hearing on 1 st July 1922 for

Chewin t Cud - June 2009 Issue 50

29 “Negligence during shunting operations, causing MR wagons 28158 and 7369 to become buffer-locked and causing damage thereto”. ERNEST WRIGLEY He joined when he was 19 as a Lamp-lad at Kirk Smeaton on 10/- per week. He moved to Hickleton as a Porter on £1-0-0 per week on 24th February 1919 and from 1st January became a 2nd Class Shunter on £2-16-0 and made Class 1 Shunter on £3-4-6 from 14th June 1920. He transferred to Cudworth as a Shunter on 21 st November 1921; but was reduced from1st July 1922 due to causing a derailment. He transferred to LNER under grouping. LAURANCE BROOKSBANKS He joined at the age of 20 on 22 nd February 1915 as a Lamp-lad at Cudworth on 18/- per week. On demob from the services on 24 th November 1919 he was Caller-up on £1-0-0 and became Porter Class 2 on 1 st January 1920 on £2-16-0. From 28th January 1920 he was Number-Taker on £3-2-0 and became Shunter Class 3 from 1st March 1920. However, on 24th November 1921 he resigned. - Ken Bird - e-mail The Angel Of The North I had been taking a holiday at Seahouses on the east coast and returning home down the A1, I had the misfortune to have a back tyre puncture. As luck would have it, a slip road was only a short distance away, so I pulled off the A1. Again luck was on my side because a filling station was within view. I entered the shop and told the young lady about my predicament, this is what I found amazing. She rang up a garage that did tyre repairs, took the wheel off my car, placed it in her own car and took me to the garage. After waiting for the repair she then took me back and put the wheel back on my car, what is more she wouldn't accept any payment. Never mind that rusty angel of the north that stands at the side of the A1, this young lady is the true angel of the north, her name is Joleen and has given me back my faith in the human race. Ron Dix.

Malc & Janice Pierrepont - Ruby Wedding Anniversary - 19th July 2009

19th July 1969 Ice Cream Sunday? At the Dam Inn, last summer, I asked the waiter for an ice cream. “Would Sir like an ice cream sundae,” he asked. “No, today please,” I replied. By Ronnie Neville

Chewin t Cud - June 2009 Issue 50

30 Three Nooks Lane: Clay Quarries and Oakland’s Brickworks Can any readers remember the row of six stone terrace houses situated at the bottom of Three Nooks Lane near the junction with Weetshaw Lane, which was an extension of Albert Street at the top end of Cudworth as in the photograph, I think they could have been built to accommodate the workforce at the Oakland Bros Brickworks opposite at the turn of the last Century; there were two Clay Quarries with the brickworks in the middle. Oakland Bros also had another brickworks on the site of Hemsworth Colliery, which was at Fitzwilliam and it was first fired up in 1903, so the Shafton one would be started about the same time. The bricks were the best grade, hard and heavy, a true 9 inches by 3 inches by 4½ wide, some were rustic faced, the bricklayers labourer knew about it when he was carrying his hod full; climbing the ladder to the top lift on the cut up (gable end scaffold) and the chimney top out. The bricks were far superior to the modern not as heavy soft rustic type as used today. Further up the lane on the right side was the Brickyard and I believe it was used for stacking (storing the Bricks) it is still called the Brickyard, and has houses on it now, there was also an access onto Pontefract Road; it is just passed the new roundabout on the left. Situated in the field near the terraced houses was a wooden hut, which was used by the Boys Brigade, the leader was Mr Bobby Keen, the hut was full of musical instruments of all kinds including bugles, drums, banners, flags and all kinds of equipment. To my knowledge I don‟t think anything was ever stolen and there was never any vandalism to the hut. The names of some of the occupiers of the row of houses (kindly supplied by Mr. Brian Siddons) are – Mr. Dodd, Mr. Ashton, Mr. Searl, Mr. Cooks, Mr. Walsh, and Mr. Hancocks. At the rear of the houses over the field, to the rear of Princess Street near Stothard‟s builders yard was Methley‟s quarry and works. The quarry was for the extraction of a type of red shale sedimentary rock; it was crushed in a big machine to make course sand. I think possibly the sand could have been used to mix with the clay at Oakland‟s Brickworks to manufacture the bricks, (clay and shale sand was used to make a good quality brick) also later on the machine used to crush inferior bricks to make a kind of hardcore for the use in building or road making and was still in operation long after the brickworks closed. The disused quarry was full of water quite deep really and as children we used to go there with our nets and jars collecting newts and frogspawn. Chewin t Cud - June 2009 Issue 50

31 The photo shows me on my Triumph Speed Twin; top of the lane just passed the water tower, with my dad on the pillion with the row of houses, (hut no longer there) and Manor View estate houses Shafton in the background. The path up to Manor View, called (Gander Hills) over the fields at the side of the now filled in quarry is still there. The clay quarries were used as a council rubbish tip, and then when they were full they were all landscaped over. The boyâ€&#x;s brigade was a Christian youth organisation founded in Glasgow on the 4th October 1883 by – Sir William Alexander Smith. Days gone by from Alan Curtis Supplied by John Hayhoe

Do you recognise the building? - School Choir, London 1959 Question for the Motorised Why do you park over pavement drop-downs when they are made for the disabled and people with pushchairs!! Please let me know your answers, with your name. Malc Pierrepont Chewin t Cud - June 2009 Issue 50

32 Supplied by Jack Doughty

??. Eric Blackshaw. Max Taylor. ??. ??. Ashmore. Jack Doughty. ? Darfield Road Cudworth Tenants and Residents Association. Come and air your views to help us work together to improve Cudworth for everyone.

Make your voice heard at our meetings you will be made most welcome by use all.

We would like to invite you to come along to our meetings. These are as follows: Wednesday 24th June 2009.  Wednesday 15th July 2009.  August 2009 due to holidays (We do not hold a meeting.)  Wednesday 9th Sept 2009.

All the above meetings take place at Darfield Road Community Centre at 1:30pm. Come and see if we can make a difference Together for you or the environment. Chewin t Cud - June 2009 Issue 50


254b Barnsley Road Cudworth 01226 717272 Chewin t Cud - June 2009 Issue 50

34 Spot the Difference by Ronnie Neville (7 in total) Answers foot of page

(From book - Love, Life And Little Mary Poems From The Heart)

Bus-hopping grannies I know three bus-hopping grannies 'stead of going on a hike. who go out every single day. They have dinner in a cafe Doncaster, Leeds and Rotherham fish and chips, a cup of tea. in all weathers, come what may. The owners have it all ready Sometimes when I get on the bus they go in once a week, you see. they're already on their way. It doesn't cost them a fortune. I'll say, "hello, bus-hopping grannies! They keep active while they can. Where are you all going today?" At least they're not all miserable They say, "we're off to Sheffield they enjoy life without a man. calling in at Meadowhall. So if one day I'm left on my own This afternoon to Holmfirth I know what I'm going to do. then back to Cannon Hall." I'll join Margaret, Hilda and Kitty Mansfield, Pontefract, South Elmsall and go bus-hopping, like they do. they go anywhere they like. The bus saves a lot of leg-work By Carol Handley Barnsley

1) Crease in tie. 2) Shadow on hand. 3) Ear dog. 4) Body dog. 5) Shading side of drawing board. 6) R in Ronnie. 7) T in Brute. Chewin t Cud - June 2009 Issue 50


222 Barnsley Rd Cudworth Home Made Meat Pies Pasties Buns - Confectionary TAKE AWAY READY FOOD CAKES





TEL (01226) 713877 Chewin t Cud - June 2009 Issue 50


Please send all articles, photo‟s etc to:-

Malc Pierrepont, Chewin t Cud Volunteers 13 Stanley Street, Cudworth, Barnsley, S72 8HS website: - or e-mail:- Thank you for your Donations Thank you for your generous donations. Some of the names of people that have donated in the last quarter - J Leadbeatter, L Green, C Dodman, M Butterworth, M Clough, J Salter, R Jagger, S Key, C Handley, Hair Shop, C Rooke, P Bird, E Haigh, J Walker, TARA, R Dix and all the other people that have left donations. DONATIONS If a payment or donation to the magazine is to be made by cheque please make your cheque payable to Chewin t Cud Volunteers. Patron: The Right Honourable the Lord Mason of Barnsley. CHEWIN T CUD VOLUNTEERS

Chairman. Don Shenton.

Vice Chairman. Florence Whittlestone.

Hon. Secretaries. George Roberts and Alan Curtis Treasurer:- Malc Pierrepont. John Hayhoe.

Committee:Jack Hoyland. Ronnie Neville.

Howard Brightmore

The views and opinions expressed in this Magazine do not necessarily reflect those of the publishing Committee. Chewin t Cud Volunteers are an entirely independent group and they and Chewin t Cud magazine are not affiliated in any way with any other organisation either locally or nationally. Chewin t Cud Volunteers hold the copyright on Chewin t Cud Magazine. The Editor of Chewin t Cud Magazine reserves the right to edit any material submitted for publishing in Chewin t Cud. Chewin t Cud on CD-ROM As a result of the demand for back copies of the magazine we now have a complete set of the magazines, available on CD. Price of CD £3.50. The price being: UK £3.50 plus £1.50 post and package = £5. America, Canada, Australia £3.50 plus £5.00 to cover bank charges plus £1.50 post and package = £10.00. Prices for other areas of the world please contact us. For our overseas readers: When we present a cheque to the bank in any other currency than Sterling we are charged for the transaction. Printed by Lonsdale Print Solutions Ltd Denington Estate, Wellingborough, Northamptonshire, NN8 2RA tel:- 01933 22 88 55 Fax:- 01933 440 132 Chewin t Cud - June 2009 Issue 50

51 issueno50 june 2009  
51 issueno50 june 2009  

Chewin t Cud - June 2009 Issue