A Resolution Regarding the SGA’s Opinion on Current and Future Chick-fil-A Development Plans S.R.-6
1. WHEREAS the Student Government Association of Johns Hopkins University aims to provide a safe, supportive environment for all university affiliates now and in the future.
2. WHEREAS the American fast food restaurant chain, Chick-Fil-A’s former CEO Dan Cathy has publicly stated divisive statements against the LGBTQ+ community.
3. WHEREAS Dan Cathy was disappointed after the supreme court’s decision on same sex marriage and stated “Sad day for our nation; founding fathers would be ashamed of our gen. to abandon wisdom of the ages re: cornerstone of strong societies”.
4. WHEREAS the SGA vehemently opposes this sentiment. 5. WHEREAS visiting prospective and current students, staff, faculty, and other visitors who are members of the LGBTQ+ community or are allies would be subjected to the microaggression of supporting current or future Chick-fil-A development plans.
6. WHEREAS several universities and colleges such as North Carolina State University and Indiana University have already launched efforts to ban already established Chick-fil-A’s.
7. WHEREAS when new fast food developments are recommended on campus, the University should seek out other similar non-discriminatory alternatives.
8. THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED that the SGA does not support the proposal of a Chick-fil-A, in a current or future sense, particularly on any location that is central to student life. It is so ordered. Sponsor: Charlotte Green Co-Sponsors: Amy Sun, Jason Plush, Adelaide Morphett, Janice M. Bonsu Committee: Student Services Committee Vote: 18 In Favor 8 Opposed Therefore the bill: PASSES Vice President: Kyra Toomre