1EXPLORE 13 PROCESS
EXPLORE THE GUIDE TO SUMMER IN THE GOLDEN ISLES
Plan an ideal golf or beach outing Discover history at every stop Learn 5 things about popular attractions
2EXPLORE 13 PROCESS
2 The Brunswick News / Thursday, May 23, 2013
DAY PLANNER: SOME ISLES THINGS TO DO
Aquatic Centers • Summer Waves, 210 South Riverview Drive, Jekyll Island, 635-2074; 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Mondays through Fridays, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Saturdays, 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Sundays. Varied admission, excluding tax, $10.95 to $19.95. • Neptune Park Fun Zone, Beachview Drive, Pier Village, St. Simons Island, 279-3720; 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Mondays through Saturdays, 1 to 7 p.m. Sundays. Admission, $7. • Brunswick Aquatic Center, Howard Coffin Park, 1430 Lanier Blvd., Brunswick, 554-7780; 1 to 6 p.m. Tuesdays through Fridays and noon to 5 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays. • Selden Park swimming pool, Selden Park, U.S. 341 opposite Fourth Street, Brunswick, 279-2800; 1 to 5:30 p.m. Tuesdays through Saturdays, closed Mondays and Sundays. Admission, $3. • St. Marys Aquatic Center, 301 Herb Bauer Drive, St. Marys
Historic sites stretch all along the coast 3
912-673-8118; 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturdays, 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Mondays through Fridays, 1 to 6 p.m. Sundays. Varied admission, excluding tax, $3.75 to $9.95. MINIATURE-GOLF COURSES • Neptune Park Fun Zone, Beachview Drive, Pier Village, St. Simons Island, 554-7780; 2 to 9 p.m. weekdays, 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Saturdays, 1 to 9 p.m. Sundays. Admission, $7 per game. • Jekyll Island Miniature Golf, Shell Road, Jekyll Island, 635-2648; 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Sundays through Thursdays, 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays. Admission, $6.08 per game. ST. SIMONS BIKE RENTALS • Barry’s Beach Service, 420 Arnold Road, 638-8053. • Beachcomber Buggies, 541 Ocean Blvd., 638-2966. • Two Brother’s Bike Shop, 227 Mallery St., 638-6766. • Monkeywrench Bicycles, 1708 Frederica Road, 634-5551. • Ocean Motion Surf Co., 1300 Ocean Blvd., 638-5225.
BOAT RENTALS • Barry’s Beach Service, 420 Arnold Road, St. Simons Island, sail boats, 638-8053. • Morningstar Marina, 206 Marina Drive, St. Simons Island, deck boats, 434-1007. DOLPHIN WATCHING • Coastal Georgia Charters and Tours, 638-5678. • Blue Dolphin Tours, 265-5711. • St. Simons Dolphin Tour, 638-3333. HORSEBACK RIDING • Stables at Frederica, 105 Frederica Stables Drive, St. Simons Island, 434-4760. • Sterling Equestrian Center, 150 Capallton Drive, Glynn County, 265-7799. • Three Oaks Carriage and Trail Co., 100 Stable Road, Jekyll Island, 635-9500. KAYAK RENTALS • Altamaha Coastal Tours, 229 Fort King George Drive, Darien, 437-6010. • Barry’s Beach Service, 420 Arnold Road, St. Simons Island,
/. .%7#!34,% 342%%4
638-8053. • Ocean Motion Surf Co., 1300 Ocean Blvd., St. Simons Island, 638-5225. • Southeast Adventure Outfitters, 313 Mallery St., St. Simons Island, 638-6732. • Tidelands Nature Center, 100 South Riverview Drive, Jekyll Island, 635-5032. BOAT EXCURSIONS • Credle’s Adventures, 1200 Glynn Ave., Brunswick, 265-5711; Lady Jane shrimp boat goes into St. Simons Sound to observe marine life and shrimping. • Darien River Wine and Eco Cruise, 107 Broad St., Darien, 437-3410; King George boat travels the Darien River for wine and cheese tasting. ST. SIMONS ISLAND TOURS • Lighthouse Trolleys, 638-3333. • St. Simons Trolley Tour, 638-8954. • St. Simons Colonial Island Tours, 638-5341. • Rickshaw Tours, 638-9606.
What to visit
Where to sun
Beaches beckon on St. Simons and Jekyll 6
Where to golf
Courses are available for every type golfer 8
Where to fish
The catch is always good, inshore or off 10
What to see
Make some new discoveries nearby
Where to play
Where to find parks around the region 22
On the cover Charlotte Mekdes Cornell, 8, and Anna Grace Cornell, 9, explore from the St. Simons pier. Photo by Bobby Haven
We’re Back On St. Simons!
Joseph Joseph Stylish Kitchen & Cookware Accessories .EWCASTLE 3TREET (ISTORIC $OWNTOWN "RUNSWICK
After 20 Years We Are Re-Opening In The Pier Village - 320 Mallery St.
3EXPLORE 13 PROCESS
The Brunswick News / Thursday, May 23, 2013 3
Jason Baker, interpretive ranger at Fort King George, Darien
A TRIP BACK IN TIME ON THE GEORGIA COAST BEGINS HERE
The history of Brunswick and the Golden Isles begins with Native American settlements and accelerates with European colonization. Explore: BRUNSWICK • Brunswick Historic District – With more than 900 registered structures, Brunswick’s historic district is second in size in Georgia to Savannah. The district – which runs north to south from H Street to First Avenue and east to west from Academy Creek to Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard – follows the original town plan, modeled after the plan British Gen. James Oglethorpe had created for Savannah. Most of the structures were built between 1870 and 1920. • Hanover Square – South end of Newcastle Street, adjacent to downtown. Originally planned in 1771, Hanover Square has survived many developments, such as railways, highways and a proposed relocation. In 1884, the park’s well was thought to have healing properties for certain dis-
eases and a fountain was constructed for public use. Modern preservation began in the early 1950s and a comprehensive renovation by Signature Squares of Brunswick, a nonprofit citizens’ group, was completed in 2006, with finishing touches to be added this year. The mix of palm trees and live oaks along with the Confederate soldier Civil War memorial provide a glimpse of the city’s heritage. • Old City Hall – 1229 Newcastle St., downtown. Completed in 1891, the building, constructed of brick and granite, combines Richardsonian, Romanesque and Queen Anne styles. The first level has massive arched entrance ways and granite floors. Up the divided staircase are preserved wood floors and the high ceilings of days past. Old City Hall houses the Downtown Development Authority and some police offices, and is the city commission meeting hall. • Downtown and city dock – The Brunswick Downtown Development Authority has Continued on Page 4
Come Worship With Us! Upcoming Events Baptismal Service May 26th We will have a baptismal service during our worship service on May 26th. If you would like to be baptized please contact Pastor Mike Murray or the church ofﬁce as soon as possible. June 9th Dr. Mike Smalley of Worldreach Ministries @ 10:30 a.m. & 6:00 p.m. Kingdom Rocks VBS June 10th -14th from 9:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. See Children’s Pastor Mike Haulman for details on how you can help! June 27th-29th Forward Conference 2013
Worship Services Sunday School: Worship Service: Monday Night Prayer: Wednesday Night: Youth & Adult Bible Study Thursday Night: Adult Bible Study Thursday Night: College & Career Bible Study
9:30 a.m. 10:30 a.m. 7:00 p.m. 7:00 p.m. 6:00 p.m. 7:00 p.m.
6530 Frederica Road, (just past Ft. Frederica) |St. Simons Island | 638-4918 | Pastor Mike Murray | www.christianrenewalssi.org
4EXPLORE 13 PROCESS
4 The Brunswick News / Thursday, May 23, 2013
Nick Nichols/The Brunswick News
Hofwyl-Broadfield Plantation, where site manager Bill Giles points out features on a relief map of the former rice plantation, displays period artifacts and furniture in the farmhouse-style main building.
Oleâ€™ Times Country Buffet your 2013 Rotary Club Chili Cook Off Peoples Choice Champions!
Christina Nencioni, Kelly Allen, Ricky Hart, Jack King, Eileen Ard, Donna Popwell â€œVoted #1 in Southern Cooking and Best Country Buffet in South Georgia and North Florida for the last 12 years running!â€?
Ole Times Country Buffet
3CRANTON 2D s "RUNSWICK '! s
been working since it was formed in 1983 to restore and revitalize Brunswick as one of the five original Colonial port cities. Newcastle, Norwich and Gloucester streets are the main locations where rebirth is developing. With restaurants and numerous small, locally owned businesses, downtown exhibits a daily sense of vitality. Adjacent to downtown, the city dock next to Mary Ross Waterfront Park has working shrimp boats and a view of Andrews Island. A farmers market is at the park. â€˘ Historic Glynn County Courthouse â€“ 701 G St., downtown. Situated in a grove of live oak and palm trees within Magnolia Square, the courthouse was completed in 1907 after its predecessor was damaged by a hurricane. With a distinctively Southern feel, the courthouse is now home to the Glynn County Commission. â€˘ Department of Natural Resources Earth Day Nature Trail â€“ One Conservation Way. The Earth Day Nature Trail is located at the Georgia Department of Natural Resources Coastal Resources Division, off U.S. 17 South, near the Sidney Lanier Bridge. The trail, open year-round during daylight hours, is a self-guided educational activity that spotlights Georgiaâ€™s coastal marshlands habitat. Picnic tables and an information kiosk are on the trail. NORTH GLYNN COUNTY â€˘ Hofwyl-Broadfield Plantation â€“ 5556 U.S. 17 North, 264-7333. The plantation represents the history and culture of Georgiaâ€™s Rice Coast. Started in the early 1800s by William Brailsford, the plantation passed through five generations and survived the Civil War before being donated to the state in 1973. Open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m, Thursdays through Saturdays. Last main house tour is at 4 p.m. Gate locked at closing. Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas Day and New Yearâ€™s Day. Admission ranges from $4 to $7 and group rates available on advance notice. JEKYLL ISLAND â€˘ Jekyll Island â€“ 877-453-5955. Acces-
sible from the mainland by the Downing Musgrove Causeway, Jekyll Island is a state park that preserves the â€œcottagesâ€? of the millionaires and industrial magnates who owned the island as a seasonal retreat during the late 1800s and until World War II. In addition to the restored historic district, the island has the Georgia Sea Turtle Center for rehabilitation of sea turtles, Summer Waves water park, Tidelands Nature Center, golf, tennis, bike trails and an Atlantic Ocean beach. Parking fee is $5. â€˘ Jekyll Island Visitors Center â€“ About four miles from the mainland entrance of the Downing Musgrove Causeway, 635-3636. Open from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Mondays through Saturdays and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sundays. ST. SIMONS ISLAND â€˘ St. Simons Island Lighthouse â€“ 101 12th St., St. Simons Island, 638-4666. Open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Mondays through Saturdays and 1:30 to 5 p.m. Sundays. Admission is $10 for adults, $5 for children ages 6 through 11, free for children 5 and younger. The ticket includes admission to the lighthouse and the Maritime Museum, at East Beach. The last climb of the day for the lighthouse is at 4:30 p.m. After the first lighthouse was destroyed by retreating Confederate soldiers during the Civil War, the current lighthouse, along with the keepers dwelling, was constructed in 1872. The 104-foot, brick tower, with its 129-step spiral staircase, provides views to the Atlantic Ocean and the southern tip of St. Simons Island and the northern edge of Jekyll Island. The adjacent A.W. Jones Heritage Center houses books and artifacts of Coastal Georgia history. â€˘ Maritime Museum â€“ 4201 First St., St. Simons Island, 638-4666. Open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Mondays through Saturdays and 1:30 to 5 p.m. Sundays. Admission is $10 for adults, $5 for children ages 6 through 11, free for children 5 and younger. The ticket includes admission to the lighthouse and the Lighthouse Museum, near the St. Simons Island Pier Village.
5EXPLORE 13 PROCESS
The Brunswick News / Thursday, May 23, 2013 5 Initially constructed in the mid-1930s by the Works Progress Administration as a Coast Guard station, the building had a role in monitoring the coast during World War II, and later in monitoring the seas and rescuing boaters. The Coast Guard station was decommissioned in 1995. The building was reopened in April 2006 as a museum under supervision of the Coastal Georgia Historical Society. The museum offers a look at the coastâ€™s natural and historical worlds through the eyes of the Coast Guard. â€˘ Bloody Marsh battle site â€“ Old Demere Road (at curve traveling east). Open 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily and weekends, closed Thanksgiving, Christmas Day and New Yearâ€™s Day. Free admission. A monument at the edge of the marsh commemorates the Battle of Bloody Marsh, between British soldiers of Fort Frederica and Spanish forces from Florida, in 1742. While the battle was not as bloody as the name implies â€” seven Spanish soldiers died â€” it was significant for establishing permanent British control over Colonial Georgia. â€˘ Fort Frederica â€“ 6515 Frederica Road, 638-3639. Open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily and weekends, closed Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years Day. Admission is $3 per person, children under 15 are admitted free. Established in 1736 by British Gen. James Oglethorpe, Fort Frederica and the accompanying town of Frederica served as the final southern outpost for the colony of Georgia. Its strategic position on the Frederica River allowed the British to control the river and eventually force the Spanish to retreat to Florida. Today, the fort and museum give visitors a glimpse of early Colonial life and the hardships faced by those brave enough to face the wild Georgia coast. â€˘ Christ Church â€“ 6329 Frederica Road, 638-8683. Open 2 to 5 p.m. daily, except Mondays, Easter and Christmas, and by special arrangement. Because of funerals and weddings, the schedule is subject to change. The Episcopal church traces its origins to 1736 and the settlers who helped colonize Fort Frederica. Nestled in a landscape of live oak, holly and cedar trees, the present church building, constructed in 1884, is a cruciform design, with a trussed Gothic roof and stained glass windows. Several services are held Sundays. â€˘ Ebo Landing â€“ End of Palmetto Street. The unmarked site, on private residential property, is a reminder of one of the most chilling tragedies of slavery. Slaves of the African Ibo, or Ebo, tribe had been sold to two local plantation owners and shipped to St. Simons Island. Upon arrival, the slaves departed the ship and followed the lead of their tribal chief, who chanted, â€œThe sea brought me and the sea will bring me home.â€? The slaves, who were chained together, walked to their deaths, drowning in Dunbar Creek. â€˘ Tabby slave cabins at Gascoigne Bluff â€“ Adjacent to the marina at Gascoigne
A small Gullah-Geeche community remains on the island, along with primitive camping and Reynoldâ€™s Mansion for overnight lodging and conferences.
The Brunswick News/File
The reconstructed Fort King George at Darien includes a wood barracks with dirt floor. Bluff, on Arthur J. Moore Drive, near its intersection with Hamilton Road. Open free from 10 a.m. to noon each Wednesday during June, July and August. The two tabby structures served as housing for slaves on Hamilton Plantation. Today the cabins are owned and preserved by the Cassina Garden Club. â€˘ Little St. Simons Island â€“ 888-733-5774. Little St. Simons Island, which wraps over the north end of St. Simons Island, is a 10,000-acre, privately owned nature preserve that is open to the public for day trips and overnight accommodations in its lodge and cottages. McINTOSH COUNTY â€˘ Darien waterfront â€“ Located on the north bank of the Darien River, the waterfront offers a place to relax and enjoy some Southern character. Behind the welcome center is an observation deck, with benches and picnic tables. The boardwalk and pier are owned by the McIntosh County Development Authority and provide dockage with power and water. The adjacent shopping area has boutiques and restaurants. â€˘ Fort King George â€“ 301 McIntosh Road SE, Darien, 437-4770. Open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesdays through Sundays, closed Mondays, except holiday Mondays, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Yearâ€™s Day. The fort is closed Tuesday when it is open on a Monday holiday. Admission is $7 for adults, $4 for children ages 6-17 and $2 for children under age 6. Group tours, picnic area and bus parking available. Fort King George was once the southernmost outpost of the British Empire in America, from 1721 to 1736. British troops and Scottish highlanders endured hardships including disease, conflicts with Spanish and Indians and the environment. Located on the Altamaha River, the fort and other buildings have been constructed to replicate the settlement.
â€˘ Sapelo Island â€“ The island is accessible only by boat, with a public passenger ferry departing a dock eight miles east of Darien, on Ga. 99, 912-485-2251. Tours of the native habitat are 8:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. Wednesdays and 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. Saturdays, September through May, and Fridays June through August. By contemporary standards, the island is essentially undeveloped, with limited supplies and food.
CAMDEN COUNTY â€˘ Downtown St. Marys â€“ The St. Marys waterfront has the Orange Hall museum and St. Marys Submarine Museum, and contemporary shops and restaurants. The Cumberland Island Ferry departs from St. Marys, which also has two boat ramps. â€˘ Cumberland Island â€“ Cumberland Island is part of the National Park Service and is accessible only by boat. Reservations are highly recommended for the seven-mile passenger ferry trip. From March 1 through Nov. 30, the ferry departs St. Marys at 9 and 11:45 a.m., and departs Cumberland Island at 10:15 a.m. and 4:45 p.m. daily. From Dec. 1 to Feb. 28, the departure times are the same, except only Thursdays through Mondays. Fees are $20 for adults, $14 for children 12 years old and younger and $18 for seniors. The island is largely uninhabited, with no contemporary buildings. The island contains the remains of an estate home built in 1884 that burned in 1959. Plum Orchard is a Georgian Revival mansion built in 1898. The island abounds with wildlife, including wild horses. For visitor information, call 912-882-4336, ext. 254; for reservations, call 877-860-6787.
#/!34!, '!3 /54$//2 (%!$15!24%23
+!9!+ 4/523 $!),9 s "/!4).'