Issuu on Google+

MINUTES THE ART OF LIFE (TAOL) Committee Meeting Date:

3.1.2013

Venue:

38 TOTTINGTON LANE, ROYDON, DISS IP22 5BJ

Present:

Jay Hurley Maggie Mittins-Ladd Lin Smith

Chair Creative Director Secretary

Apologies received from: Keith Hurley TREASURER ACTION PLAN FOLLOWS AS AN APPENDIX TO THESE MINUTES ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------The Chair opened the meeting at 14HOO Agenda item 1 - Minutes of Last Meeting and Action Plan review The minutes of the last meeting weren’t available for review and signature by Chair. Action Plan not reviewed Agenda item 2 – Update on activities to date 1. Feedback on first session 7.12.2012 JH provided an update for MML who was unable to attend the session. JH requested a change of venue from Angel Cafe to St Mary’s Church Diss or similar since the current location is unsuitable for the groups needs. Concerns that the venue hire fees would be approximately double what is currently paid (£7.50ph) to The Backspace and thus exceed the amount currently being generated in member donations on the day.

! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Feedback sheets that were handed out at the last session, were reviewed: ! - Six feedback sheets were received and the collated outcomes showed that ! attendees identified issues about the time and the date of the session. ! - The results also indicated that most were interested in finding out about ! cancer in more depth. It was resolved that the group may benefit from a Macmillan representative attending a future session to talk about cancer in general. This would be reviewed monthly It was resolved to seek an alternative venue from February 2013 onwards.


!

2.

Storage of resources!

! ! ! ! ! ! !

JH brought up the topic of the storage and portability of Macmillan and other support group cancer information booklets and resources. It was resolved that LS would store the resources at her home and take responsibility for stock take, ordering and distribution. It was resolved to take only the MASTER COPY of each resource to the group sessions for ease of portability. Members wishing for their own copy of a particular resource note this in the Guest Book

! ! ! ! !

3.

Meeting with Macmillan Area Fundraiser

JH advised the Committee that a meeting had been held between JH and Macmillan. The purpose of the meeting was to better understand how Macmillan can support us locally. A presentation by Macmillan revealed that:

!

- 1:3 people in Norfolk are likely to suffer from cancer. - Personal financial grants to help cancer suffers buy much needed items are available - Macmillan have a Lorry that could be made available to support any large scale events we run or attend - Macmillan representatives are available as speakers if required It was resolved to seek assistance appropriate to future need

!

4.

Gracie’s Cake

Personal donations and raffle ticket sales currently total £67.00 The Committee acknowledge Gracie’s generosity but the issue of how to promote and market the cake more widely has been a worrying factor. It was resolved to take the cake to the session on 4.1.2013 and to draw the raffle at the Art Therapy session on 1st February 2013. ! Agenda item 3 – Health and Safety ! ! ! ! ! ! !

The Committee are sincere about their responsibilities of DUTY OF CARE to members but it was discussed that no system was in place in the event of an accident, injury or a sudden bout of illness or emergency by a member or volunteer. It was resolved to implement a record card system to record member personal and health details It was resolved to design and implement an Emergency and First Aid procedure and brief volunteers.

Agenda item 4 – Session Plan for 4.1.2013 The committee discussed the outline for the forthcoming session It was resolved to facilitate a group painting and discussion session following Chi Kung


Agenda item 5 – Marketing JH apologised for the lack of marketing activities being conducted during December. However, JH was pleased to announce the launch of the first Newsletter which had been well received in some quarters. The Committee discussed at length the need to attract more newcomers to the group and drew up a list of locations, from health centres to funeral directors, parish councils to hairdressers and cafes to garden centres, as per action plan It was resolved to design new posters for distribution across the local community and to ‘recruit’ members and volunteers to put up our posters in their own local communities Agenda item 6 – Financials In the absence of the Treasurer, a financial report was not available for scrutiny. It was resolved that a monthly financial report to be made available by the Treasurer irrespective of the Treasurer’s attendance Agenda item 7 – Any Other Business 1. A reminder of the invite by Lorna at The Pulham Market Patients Support Group on 15th January 2013 at 2pm. Take posters for display

ITEMS TO NOTE 1. News articles for the quarterly Newsletter are required from Committee members. The next publication of the Newsletter is due February 2013 with story deadline by 31.1.2013 2. Next Art Therapy session is on Friday 1st February. Time and venue TBC 3. JH will be away on holiday for the March Art Therapy session on Friday 1st March. (JH Holidays 1.3.2013 - 9.3.2013) Committee to decide at next Meeting whether to go ahead or postpone. 4. The Committee needs to identify fundraising opportunities for 2013. Suggest this item for next agenda. 5. Plea for Xmas cards! 6. JH brought up about marketing where we need to focus on Doctors, Parish Council’s, Dentist’s, Health Centre’s, Press, Fleabotomist, Funeral Directors, Library, Council Office, Youth Centre, Sports Centre, Tourist Office, Social Security, Complimentary Therapists, Hairdressers, Morrisons, Coop, Tesco’s, Post Office, Photo Elite, Myhills, Methodist Church St Mary’s, Age UK, Age Concern, Care Homes, Carers, Blooms, Diss Garden Centre. MML suggested to look out for display board


ACTION PLAN Action Plan

By whom

By when

Circulate minutes of meeting held November 2012 when made available

LS

17.1.2013

Contact St Mary’s Church regarding new venue opportunity

MML

17.1.2013

Contact Youth Centre, Roydon Village Hall, Palgrave Community Centre and Catholic Church Hall, Diss regarding new venue opportunity

JH

17.1.2013

Stocktake Macmillan resources and catalogue

LS

17.1.2013

Identify and produce a list of Parish Magazines offering advertising opportunities

LS

31.1.2013

Contact local press and community magazines to get a regular feature

JH

31.1.2013

Establish a record card system for volunteers and members

LS

7.1.2013

Draft an emergency and first aid procedure for Committee review

JH

17.1.2013

Contact members to request they save their Xmas cards for Art Of Life

JH

7.1.2013

Issue November Newsletter to Parish Clerks

JH

7.1.2013

Contact Park Radio to get air time

JH

7.1.2013

Redesign poster

JH

10.1.2013

DATE OF NEXT MEETING 17th January 2013 at Spears Way @ 12 noon


Committee Meeting Minutes 3.1.2013