The Alvin Sun & Advertiser
Alvin, United States
Brazoria County’s first and oldest newspaper was established August 8, 1890. It was called the Alvin News and was a one sheet newspaper printed on both sides. In 1892 the newspaper became the Alvin Sun and for many years was published weekly. It later became a semi-weekly newspaper in 1961 and then a daily in 1979.
Through the years there were several newspapers in Alvin: The Alvin Citizen, Alvin News, Gulf Coast Review and Country News. They were all absorbed by consolidation.
In 1979 Hartman Newspapers purchased the Alvin Sun and later purchased the Alvin Advertiser which increased the ability of the paper to cover a larger area several times a week.
The newspaper has covered major catastrophes: the devastating Hurricane of 1900, a major freeze in 1911, and even the fire in 1997 that destroyed the building that housed the newspaper during the 1980s.