The Morung Express SPORTS Wozniacki into Dubai final Phil Neville puts Everton through in FA Cup as Chelsea pay penalty Caroline Wozniacki reached the final of the Dimapur
20 February 2011
DUBAI, FEBRUARY 19 (AGENCIES): The top seed from Denmark, who will return to the top of the world rankings next week, will next face 11th-seeded Italian Flavia Pennetta or 16th seed Svetlana Kuznetsova of Russia, who were playing later on Saturday. Jankovic made the more positive start, breaking Wozniacki's serve to love as she built up a 3-0 lead and then holding off two break points when leading 4-2. However, she failed to take advantage of four set points as she led 5-3, 40-0 and then held an advantage point, before Wozniacki recovered the break by rushing her opponent into a forehand error. Wozniacki then broke again to lead 6-5 and held off two break points as she served out the set. Jankovic, who had been taken to three sets in her previous two matches, clearly began to tire in the second set, and an exchange of three consecutive breaks left Wozniacki leading 4-3. Once again Jankovic held but failed to convert two break points as Wozniacki held for 5-3, and the Dane then broke to love in the next game to seal her victory. "I didn't think about the score," Wozniacki said when asked about being set points down. "I just felt, 'Okay, just hit the ball. Just make her win the point. Just play aggressively. You have to dictate. If you make a mistake, fine, that's what happens. But don't just put the ball in because you're done'." Jankovic admitted that she had not played her set points well and that her recent long matches had taken their toll on her. "I had those set points and I kind of rushed a little bit," said Jankovic. "I didn't really take my time, you know, and play those points. But she was very solid and she ran a lot of balls down. "Obviously, you know, I'm a little bit exhausted. The last couple of days took a lot out of me and maybe it Carolina Wozniacki of Denmark reacts after she scores a point opposite Serbia's showed today. But I still fought very Jelena Jankovic during the first semi final of the Emirates Dubai WTA Tennis hard, as hard as I could. I really gave my best, but credit to her." Championships in Dubai, United Arab Emirates on Saturday.(AP Photo)
Dubai tennis championships by beating Serbian sixth seed Jelena Jankovic 7-5 6-3 on Saturday.
State Games for Disabled concludes DIMAPUR, FEBRUARY 19 (MEXN): Special Olympics Bharat-Nagaland has conducted State Games for Disabled from February 15 -19, at Youth Oasis centre, Dimapur. A note issued by the State Chapter informed that the participants were from Nagaland Blind School Dimapur, St. Mary's Montessori Special Class Dimapur, Guardian Angels Dimapur, Prodigal's Home Dimapur, Care and Support Society Mokokchung, Nagaland Parent’s Association Kohima and Frontier Development Society Tuensang. The State Games for Disabled is a scheme under Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, Government of India where Special Olympics Bharat and its state chapters are a Nodal Agents to conduct District and State Games for the year 2010-11. The State Chapter acknowledged the NGOs and Special Schools for their efforts and participations. The event was successfully conducted with the support of State Bank of India, Dimapur Regional Office, Dimapur Ao Baptist Arogo (DABA) and Joint team of Dimapur Municipal Council, Consumer Society Dimapur, Police Department Dimapur, Health Department Dimapur and Dimapur Administration. A heartfelt gratitude to Youth Oasis Centre and to all the well wishers and families for their support and contributions.
CWG medallist Ashish Kumar wins gold in National Games RANCHI, FEBRUARY 19 (PTI): Commonwealth Games bronze-medallist Ashish Kumar dazzled in the men's all round individual gymnastics competition, winning the gold at the Khelgaon on Saturday. Putting behind the disappointment of his Uttar Pradesh team ending with a silver medal in the team competition on Friday, Kumar notched up 83.95 points to take the yellow metal, leaving behind SSCB's Rakesh Patra for the silver. Patra scored 79.80 points. Kumar's state-mate Aditya Singh Rana (76.85) secured the bronze medal in the main field of nine gymnasts. On Friday, the SSCB men had won gold in the team competition and Andhra Pradesh had to satisfy with the bronze. Continuing their brilliant performance, Maharashtra women won the Artistic Gymnastics team competitions late last night. Maharashtra, which scored 219.45 points to edge past West Bengal (211.95 points) to finish at the top, clinched its seventh gold so far in the Gymnastic competitions. With 188.25 points, Andhra Pradesh girls took the bronze. On Thursday, Maharashtra won six gold medals in the Rhythmic gymnastics.
CWG scam: CBI to arrest Kalmadi? NEW DELHI, FEBRUARY 19 (HT): The CBI is expected to soon arrest CWG Organising Committee's former chairman Suresh Kalmadi for his alleged involvement in irregularities related to the Games. Confirming this, a CBI said, “We will arrest Kalmadi sometime next week in the CWG corruption case.” He added, “The arrest of Kalmadi coul d get expedited due to political factors.” He added, “The DMK has been complaining at various levels that the CBI was prompt in arresting former telecom minister A Raja, but is dragging its feet in the case of Kalmadi… We are under pressure.” The source added, "We have evidence to establish Kalmadi’s role in several irregularities related to the CWG, including favouring supplier firms which had quoted inflated rates.” According to the source, Kalmadi's role has been under the agency's scanner in cases related to the Queens Baton Relay (QBR), for which it had lodged two FIRs on November 15 last year. The FIR, which did not name Kalmadi, had mentioned several OC officials, the London-based private firm AM Films, and the company's director and others. According to the CBI, the accused OC officials, in conspiracy with London-based private firm, awarded the work of installation of video screens at the venue of QBR at inflated rates. The contract was given to AM Films on the basis of fake quotations and without following the standard procedures, the source said. "The QBR decisions were taken by Kalmadi," said the source. On Friday, the probe agency carried out searches at the residential and official premises of five OC officials and two Overlays suppliers in Delhi and Noida.
LONDON, FEBRUARY 19 (AGENCIES): Chelsea were European football's great runners-up in 2008. Second in the Premier League, second in the Carling Cup, and a John Terry penalty away from becoming the capital's inaugural holders of the Champions League. Yet in Avram Grant's single season in charge the bitter disappointment was tempered for Terry and company in knowing that they would at least be back for a crack at the European Cup the following campaign. Three years on and after this 4-3 penalty shoot-out defeat – following the 1-1 stalemate after extra time – Carlo Ancelotti stares at taking his Chelsea project from claiming the Double in his debut year in English football to a trophyless second season and the prospect of competing in the Europa League in 2011-12. The Italian's quest to rescue the season appeared to have struggled on courtesy of Frank Lampard's 104th-minute strike, after Phil Jagielka and John Heitinga each missed a Nicolas Anelka cross to allow the midfielder to shoot beyond Tim Howard. Before this, on the afternoon when Didier Drogba did little to silence those who have informed him Fernando Torres' £50m arrival had instantly made him a Chelsea has-been, Everton appeared to have a legitimate winner chalked off in the closing moments of normal time. Leighton Baines, who
Ryan Giggs signs new Manchester United deal
MANCHESTER, FEBRUARY 19 (REUTERS): Ryan Giggs will extend his playing career with Manchester United into 2012 after the 37-yearold Welsh midfielder signed a contract extension until the end of next season. Giggs is the most decorated player in English soccer, having won 11 league titles, four FA Cups and two Champions League titles, and has played 862 senior games in United's colours, more than any other player who has represented the club. "All I've ever wanted to do is play for United and I've been lucky enough to do that for 20 years," Giggs said on Friday. "It's great to know I'm still contributing to the team's success and I feel I've got a lot to offer on and off the pitch." "This is an exciting time to be involved with so many good young players coming through." Giggs, who made his United debut in 1991, has spent his entire senior career at Old Trafford. Manager Alex Ferguson said he had "run out of words" to describe Giggs. "He is a marvellous player and a wonderful man," he said. "To have the desire and the ability to play at the top level in such a physically demanding position at his age requires a special person. "He is still turning in man of the match performances and his experience is so vital for the younger players in the squad."
FILE - In this Sunday Jan. 9, 2011 file photo Manchester United's Ryan Giggs celebrates after scoring a penalty goal against Liverpool during their English FA Cup soccer match at Old Trafford, Manchester, England. Ryan Giggs signed Friday Feb. 18, 2011 a one-year extension to his contract at Manchester United, tying the veteran winger to the English club until the summer of 2012. The 37-year-old Giggs, who has been one of United's best players this season, says "it's great to know I'm still contributing to the team's success and I feel I've got a lot to offer on and off the pitch." (AP Photo)
Chelsea's Branislav Ivanovic, right, runs for the ball with Everton's Jermaine Beckford during their fourth round FA Cup replay soccer match at the Stamford Bridge stadium, London, Saturday, February 19. (AP Photo)
foraged successfully down his left flank throughout the contest, mugged Drogba when collecting from a corner and then unloaded a right-foot shot that Petr Cech could not hold. Marouane Fellaini snaffled up the rebound to finish but Phil Dowd ruled he had been offside when following in: replays suggested he was on
Ballack recovers from latest injury setback BERLIN, FEBRUARY 19 (AFP): Injury-plagued former Germany captain Michael Ballack may return to action for Bayer Leverkusen on Sunday after recovering from the latest in a long line of setbacks. The 34-year-old midfielder underwent an MRI scan on a knee problem last weekend but came through a full training session for his club on Friday unscathed. Leverkusen coach Jupp Heynckes reported: "Friday's training went really well and he'll be included in the squad (for Sunday's game against Stuttgart) barring any last minute problem." Last Saturday the former Chelsea star was an unused substitute in his side's 3-0 win over Eintracht Frankfurt. Ballack has battled with his fitness since an ankle injury last May ruled him out of the World Cup. He then fractured his leg on only his third game back last September. He returned to Bundesliga action in January but lasted only three games. His international career remains in doubt after he was left out of Germany coach Joachim Loew side's that drew 1-1 with Italy in this month's friendly. Loew has hinted that Ballack may have won the last of his 98 caps for Germany, saying that Sami Khedira and Bastian Schweinsteiger were his first-choice midfielders.
Blair flair on display yet again LOS ANGELES, FEBRUARY 19 (AGENCIES): Five minutes before his sophomore team was to run through a morning shootaround at the L.A. Convention Center on Friday, Spurs big man DeJuan Blair had yet to see Clippers rookie sensation Blake Griffin. Asked what he would do if Griffin were to come flying at him for a dunk that night in the Rookie Challenge game at the Staples Center, Blair looked puzzled. “Blake’s in the All-Star Game (on Sunday),” Blair said. “He’s not playing in the Rookie Challenge game, is he?” Informed that yes, indeed, the Clippers rookie sensation would be suiting up for the rookies, Blair smiled. “Oh my,” he said. “Then it’s going to be a highlight show.” All-Star Weekend is all about the highlights, but Griffin, who leads the NBA in dunks this season, apparently wanted to save most of his for Sunday’s real AllStar Game. He had a couple of dunks, including one off a pass bounced off the floor, but with an eye to Sunday’s game, he logged only 13 minutes and 47 seconds.
Blair, though, had a highlight of his own for the fans who turned out for Friday’s game, won by the rookies, 148-140. Running free from half court with 7:40 left in the first half, Blair dribbled to the free-throw line, tossed the ball high off the backboard, then power dunked the “rebound” to the delight of a mostly young crowd that had come to see the spectacular. Blair’s performance Friday was every bit as dominant as his showing in last season’s game at American Airlines Center in Dallas, but he was thwarted, yet again, when it came time for media voters to choose a Most Valuable Player. Last year, he set a Rookie Challenge record by pulling down 23 rebounds and also scored 22 points, unabashedly asserting that he deserved to have shared MVP honors with Sacramento’s Tyreke Evans, whose 26 points led all scorers in the rookies’ first victory in seven years. Blair was in the game this time with the sophomores, and put up another monster. He was the top scorer for the squad, with 28 points, and
yanked down a relatively modest 15 rebounds. Washington’s John Wall, who handed out a Rookie Challenge-record 22 assists for the victorious rookies, earned MVP honors, though Sacramento’s DeMarcus Cousins was the game’s top scorer with 33 points. Cousins also grabbed 14 rebounds. “John Wall and DeMarcus both could have been MVP,” Blair said. “I’m not mad. If we had won the game, maybe I would have been MVP.” The Spurs again had a rookie in the game, 26-year-old Gary Neal. He scored in double figures as well, tallying 20 points on 9-of-15 shooting and four assists. Spurs assistant Mike Budenholzer earned a victory as coach of the rookies. “Everybody had a lot of fun, especially on the rookie team with John Wall getting all those assists for us,” Neal said. “And we won the game. That was fun, too.” Sophomore DeJuan Blair, of the San Antonio Spurs, flies to the basket during the first half of the Rookie Challenge game during the NBA basketball All-Star Weekend on February 18, 2011, in Los Angeles. (AP Photo)
Terry's shoulder and so legally in play. When extra-time moved into the final minute the prospect that Chelsea were about to imbibe a particularly bitter pill began to emerge. Baines stepped up to curl home a left-foot freekick that left Cech a spectator and that meant penalties would decide the tie. When Ashley Cole skied
Chelsea's fifth penalty over Howard's bar and Phil Neville converted the holders of the FA Cup for the last two years were out at the fourth round stage, and left to hope they can improve from their fifth position in the Premier League to secure a Champions League berth or Ancelotti will surely be on his way in May.
Pele fears Brazil embarrassment SAO PAULO, FEBRUARY 19 (REUTERS): Pele says Brazil risks embarrassment if preparations to host the 2014 World Cup do not get up to speed soon. Brazil's greatest footballer said he was most concerned about delays in building or improving stadiums and modernising the country's "frightening" airport system. "You know of the fight we had to get the (2016) Olympics and the World Cup, travelling around the world seeking votes and now a moment has come that is worrying everyone," Pele told a news conference on Friday. "Brazil is running a great risk of embarrassing us in how it runs the World Cup, principally in communications. The airports are frightening and not just for Brazilians." Pele said he spoke with directors of world soccer's governing body FIFA and also a group linked to European body UEFA's president Michel Platini, who also expressed concern over the pace of preparations in Brazil. Most of the works for
the World Cup are behind schedule and some of the stadiums have not even begun to be built as in the case of first division club Corinthians, chosen by Sao Paulo city as its match venue. "Brazil has the obligation to stage a good World Cup, a good administration, and sadly it's already behind and has this controversy of Sao Paulo," the 70-yearold Pele said. "The Paulista championship is the core of Brazilian football, it's what should already be settled and it still isn't settled." Sao Paulo will stage the tournament's opening match, according to the organising committee, but it is unclear how Corinthians will enlarge their stadium to the 60,000-capacity required by FIFA. Work is supposed to start next month. Apart from the stadiums, infrastructure improvements are also required, especially to the inadequate airports. In Brazil, air terminals are close to saturation point and Sports Minister Orlando Silva has said that is a major obstacle ahead of the World Cup.