Doctor Predicts Changes in Care Of Menta lIy III NEW Y 0 R K (NC) Changes in the concept and eare of the mentally ill will produce the medical profes sion's "greatest break with tra dition," CatOOlic hospital ad ministrators were told at their annual conventiof' here. Dr. Jack C. Haldeman, presi dent of the Hospital Review and Planning Council of New York, Inc.. predicted that the large, traditional state institutions will give way to community merrtal health facilities which will pro vide preventive, diagnostic, out patient and inpatient services. He said such centers will make possible a 50 per cent reduction in the number of inpatient beds by 1975 if they are tailored to meet the medical and nursing needs of the patient so that men tal health facilities ''will no longer be a dumping ground for the senile aged." Dr. Haldeman spoke at the 49th annual convention here of the Catholic Hospital Associa Cion of the U. S. and Canada. Advocates Planning Dr. Haldeman praised the re eent action of Congress provid ing grants to assist in construc tion of ::ommunity mental health' eenters in connection with gen:.. eral hospitals. He said further grants would make Federal funds available for the renova tion or replacement of obsolete bospital facilities. , He urged all hospitals to estab lish a long-range planning and development committee to cre ate written programs which can be translated into architectural plans. '"Those institutions with well «tought-out written functional and architectural plans," he said, "'may well be in a favora-ble position in obtaining ~arce funds for capital construction." Dr. Haldeman also called 9n hospitals to cooperate in area wide planning programs which, be said, are designed "to make available the highest possible quality of medical care in health facilities with maximum effi eiency and ~conomy."
St. Bernard's Mission, Assonet, Otves Start
To Efforts of Women in Spring. of 1910
By Marion Unsworth The lay apostolate is considered relatively modern, but it was practised in its most effective sense in 1910 by two Catholic women whose efforts resulted in the establishment of St. Bernard's Church~ Assonet, administered by priests of St. Vincent's Horne, Fall River. In 1910 the community of Assonet, approximately five per cent Catholic, was wrthoutchurch, services, or eatechetical instruction. Many young people, as -a result of their parents' guid
ance, walked eight miles each way to Fall River on Sundays to attend Mass at st. Joseph's, St. Matthew's or St. Michael's churches. Two Fall River teachers, the late Misses Mary E. G. Leat and Elizabeth Finneran, while walk_ ing in the Assonet woods in the Spring of 1910, discovered. by talking with some young boys that Assonet was without reli gious facilities and immediately promised to meet wiih the youngsters of the community the following Sunday. After consulting with the late Bishop Dani~l F. Feehan, Miss Leat was provided wiih a horse and carriage to transport her each Sunday. Lessons were held at the home of Mrs. Christine Ra[)oza of South Main Street near Crystal Spring !31eachery. Under direction of the older girls, preparatory classes were held each Tuesday night. Ap proximately 25 girls and boys attended. Sisters Come By that Fall, the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary from Fall River were assigned to instruct these children and they went to Assonet every second Sunday with classes at several different homes in the area. Rev. Bernard Boylan, pastor of St. Joseph's Church, Fall River, who played an important part in the beginnings of the mission, prepared the children of the first Communion class, going twice weekly to Assonet for this purpose. The first Com munion was held at St. Joseph's Church, the communicants walk ing eight miles and taking a street car the remainder of the way into Fall River. By 1912, the need for a Mass in Assonet, was evident, and Father Boylan agreed to cele brate Mass in the home where catechetical. instructions were . held. From that time until 1918 Prog~am Mass was offered in the homes UTRECHT (NC) - Bernard of Mrs. Rapoza, Mrs. Mary Ferry, f:ardinal Alfrink of Utrecht has Mrs. Rosanna Murphy, Mrs. Mc criticized a television program .,t the Dutch Catholic radio and Crohan and Mrs. Mary McHale at intervals of two or three TV station as creating "unrest months. IlItd confusion." It was May 8, 1916, before bus The program, called "The transportation was inaugura,ted 'l'urn Inside the Roman Catholic between Assonet and Steep Church," examined problems Brook, where people could get like tolerance, the contraceptive the street car. Tw() busses were pill, the authority of the Church used each Sunday. Children and many other issues. The tele_ were transported by Mrs. Alice Yision critic of the national C. Thwaites to 8:15 Mess at St. Catholic daily newspaper, De ,Joseph's. Tijd, wrote that the program Temporar~ Cbapf:1 made many sweeping statements. It was due to Mrs. Thwaites Protesting against the pro that arrangements were made gram's interpretation of the :for • tempol"Qry chapel itt • epenne9S of the late Pope .John, house north of the bleachery. Cardinal Alfrink stated at • Wi~ Rev. John J'. Ferraz, pastor public 'meeting here some opin tons were ascribed to Pope .John til. St. Michael's Church, Fall River, in charge of the mission, that he never entertained. the first Mass in the temporary chapel was held August 15, IIH8, and every Sunday and holy day thereafter. The simple furnish ings of an altar and benches WASHINGTON (NC) - Ttte were subsequeDtly increased by redel'al Housing and "inanre parish efforts. Father Ferraz remained in Agency has announced loans to Holy Cross College, Woreester, oharge ()f St. Bernard'. until MId to Mercy Hospital, Des Moines, Iowa, to eonstruet hOll& Ing. WATERFORD (NC) - Bishop Holy Cross was lent $2,300,000 Peter Dery of Wa, Ghana, the to finance construction of a reS' tim African named a bishop by idence hall for 386 men students Pope John XXIII, ordained here IlIld Mercy Hospital was l~t in New York, Father David L. $265,000 to help finance OOusing Clement, W.F., Woo will go to for 16 interns aDd man-led DeA the Afric·an missions as a mem 4Ieot doc~ . . Gi ~. White Fathera.
Cardinal Criticizes Television
Holy Cross College Gets Housing Loan
ST. BERNARD'S MISSION, ASSONET
March 1, 1927, when Rev. Charles J. A. Donovan succeeded him. Two Sisters of Mercy from St. Vincent's Home attended all services, taking charge of the children during Mass, giving catechetical instruction, and training the choir. Some land at Ridge Hill wa,s purchased as a possible site for a permanent church but the depression inter vened and later the site was thought too far from the village center. In 1930, Rev. William H. Har rington was assigned to the mis_ sion, which expanded greatly with the establishment in 1934 and 1935 of Civilian Conserva tion Camps in the area. In spite of alterations in the temporary ehapel, there was insufficient room for parishioners and in 1936 the Grinnell pr()perty, for merly the Pierce estate on South Main Street, was purchased. The estate contained 24 acres of land and a large colonial dwelling. Originally, plans were conceived to remodel the dwelling but they were deemed impractical Mr. Charles Maginnis of Boston was engaged to draw up plans for a church. Honor First Pastor Work on the new church be gan in July, 1937, and was com pleted the following January with a seating capacity of 192.
On February 6, 1938, the church was dedicated to St. Bernard, patron of the first pastor to serve Assonet, and the first Mass was celebrated. Father Harrington remained at St. Bernard's until 1949 when Rev. John E. Boyd was assigned to St. Vincent's Home and St. Bernard's. In 1960 he bought the former Assonet Country Club and renova ted it for use as a parish hall and catechetical center. He was succeeded in October, 1962, by Rev. John P. Cronin, formerly of st. Patrick's Parish, Fall River. At present approximately 145 families comprise St. Bernard's mission. Three Masses are of fered each Sunday. Active or ganizations include a Women's Guild, Confraternity of ChriS' tian Doctrine, St. Vincent de Paul Society, and Catholic Youth Organization. Sisters from St. Vincent's Home and lay teachers are in charge of Confra terni~ classes.
With the slogan "read and unite our changing world," New Bedford Curia of the Legion of Mary has issued its Summer edi tion of "Worthwhile Books," a leaflet suggesting 20 books as meaningful reading.
• TElEVISION • APPlIANCES
• fURNITURE • GROCERY
104 Allen St., New Bedford ''lYman ]·9354
FOR YOUNG WOMEN
196 Whipple St., Fall River
Conduded by Franciscan
Missionaries of Mary
ROOMS - MEALS
Inqui,. OS 3-2892
WILMINGTON (NC)-A lO-yeal'-old organization of Delaware Catholic, Protes tant and Jewish clergymen in its first public statement op poses required prayer and Bible reading in public schools. The Wilmington Clergy Dia logue Group's statement en dorses teaching of'the Bible and religion in public schools ''where they are relevant to the study of. literature and history." The statement, signed by 27 members, says no government should choose prayers and Bible versions for prescribed reading in the schools. The statement favors continued use of the word God on coins and also the serv ices of chaplains in the nation's armed forces. Cochairmen of the group, or ganiZed 10 years ago under aus pices of the National Conference of Christians and .Jews, are Father Francis J. Herron (Cath olic); the Rev. Robert E. Gro chau (Protestant) and Rabbi Jacob Kraft (Jewish). The statement expresses the following views: 'The specific granting of au thority to any agency of gov ernment . . . to choose prayers and Bible versions and passages for prescribed reading in public schools constitutes a violation of the principle of Church-State separation and a threat to the religious liberty as guaranteed in the First Amendment of the Constitution." "Religious practice is not sub.. ject to majority rule. The guar antee 'of religious dissent, with out pressure or stigma, is the cornersfone of the individual'. liberty in a free society. . ."
ORTINS Photo Supply 245 MAIN STREET FAlMOUTH-KI 8-1918 ARMAND ORTINS, Prop.
White's Farm Dairy
Interfaith Group Opposes Prayer In Schools
2343 Purchase Street
SERVICE for Bristol County
"SPECIAL MILK From Our Own
Acushnet, Mass. WY 3-4457
• Special Milk • Homogenized Vito D Milk •
THE ANCHOR Thurs., July 9,
• Tropicana Orange Juice • Coffee and Choc. Milk • Eggs - Butter
THE BANK ON
Member of Federal Depoelt
STORE HOURS: Mon. and Tues. 9 A.M. to 5:30 P.M. Wed., Thurs., Fri. and Sat. 8:30 A.M. to 6:30 P.M.
Maclean's Sea Foods UNION WHARf, FAIRHAVEN
Published on Jan 26, 2011
Published on Jan 26, 2011
Members of the Staff of St. Anne's Hospital, Fall River, were among delegates to the Catholic Hospital Associa The moral issue has been rec...