Wednesday June 6, 2018
inbrief news Animal Advocacy hui Associate Agriculture Minister Meka Whaitiri expects a wide range of animal welfare issues to be discussed with animal advocate groups at Friday’s all-day Animal Advocacy Hui in Auckland. “New Zealand enjoys a strong international reputation in terms of our animal welfare system. But it is important to continue to improve and, as part of that, discuss amongst ourselves what we think the priorities should be,” said Meka.
Microbead ban from tomorrow Some products containing plastic microbeads will be banned from sale from Thursday June 7 says a spokesperson for the Environmental Protection Agency. The microbeads may be found in common household products like face and body scrubs or exfoliators, wash-off’ products like glitter bubble bath, heavyduty hand soaps and in some toothpastes. Plastic microbeads are not biodegradable, and at less than five millimetres in size, many end their life in the sea when they are washed down drains.” There they can absorb and leach toxins potentially harming marine life. They can also become part of the human food chain. The new ban covers many, but not all, products containing microbeads. Find out more on www.epa.govt.nz.
Strong guidance to DHBs OraTaiao, The New Zealand Climate and Health Council, consists of senior doctors and other health professionals concerned with climate change as a serious public health threat. They have welcomed the climate change and health focus of a letter of expectations from the Minister of Health, David Clark, to all District Health Boards this month. Dr Alex Macmillan, OraTaiao’s coconvenor, says the health sector is a major contributor to our climate pollution so the letter is a “major step forward”. The letter says DHBs need to prioritise strong action. ”This will include working with other DHBs, other agencies and across Government. Plans … need to incorporate both mitigation and adaptation strategies, underpinned by cost benefit analysis of co-benefits and financial savings.”
Local man leads way with e-petition By Glenise Dreaver
Jonathan Mosen of Grenada Village has presented one of the very first “e-petitions” in this country. It identifies that disabled people faced significant difficulties with this year’s census. It was launched on March 6, the day the system opened, and with 156 signatures went to Parliament on Thursday May 24. Jonathan, blind since birth, and wife Bonnie, also blind, had to find an MP to sponsor it and local MP Greg O’Connor agreed to that. It has been referred to the Governance and Administration Select Committee. The petition says: “That the House of Representatives conduct an inquiry, with submissions open to the public, on difficulties completing the 2018 census.” The words are considered, mild, but for Jonathan and Bonnie there were huge levels of frustration, even anger,
after this year’s census experience. Jonathan holds a master’s degree in public policy and runs an international consulting company selling cuttingedge technology for the blind, as well as operating a global radio network on the internet. So filling out the census form online was straightforward. Before submitting however, he and Bonnie had to enter a code – and it proved unreadable. That was despite having access to the latest technology. “Maybe the words and designs in Te Reo caused confusion,” says Jonathan. So he asked the Department of Statistics to please send the codes by e mail or text. Not possible - confidentiality the reason. “Yet last year, the electoral commission gave me a code that way for an electoral vote the most sacred thing a person can do.” It was suggested a staff member come to their home
Thursday May 24 and Jonathan Mosen’s e-petition is presented to Parliament. From left are Alyson Groves, Table Officer at Parliament holding a print-out of the petition, Bonnie Mosen, Ohariu MP and petition sponsor Greg O’Connor, and Jonathan. PHOTO: Supplied
and read them their codes. “As a businessman, I found that very resource-inefficient,” he says, adding that the blind weren’t the only ones to have problems. “My elderly mother, like many older people, was very
discombobulated by the process.” That’s why the petition is not restricted to the blind. “I wanted it to be inclusive. It’s the lack of consistency with rulings – a systemic problem,” says Jonathan.
Johnsonville not prepared for emergency There are concerns that Johnsonville, unlike the surrounding suburbs, does not have a completed emergency management plan. After discussions with the Wellington Region Emergency Management Office (WREMO) two meetings are planned, on the Tuesdays of June 12 and 26 at 7 pm in the Community Centre. These aim to gain local input from Johnsonville residents and businesses so that Johnsonville will be more resilient in the event of a significant disaster.
Individuals and either one or two representatives from local organisations are being encouraged to attend to help develop the plan for the suburb. Local resident Stephen Cook is concerned that this area, which he says is key in the northern Wellington infrastructure, may not be able to respond and recover appropriately in the event of a significant civil disaster. “WREMO is also concerned” he said, adding that public involvement and input is required to help identify hazards and strengths within the commu-
nity and infrastructure. He said the sessions would be family-friendly and suitable for individuals, community groups, and business representatives. “Our collective knowledge and assistance is going to be what gets us through!” The first meeting on June 12 would, he says, look at why we needed to be prepared to respond without waiting for official support, and what we can do before external help gets to us. “It would also consider potential hazards and how we could check on the things we
are worried about or rely on. Importantly it will consider how to co-ordinate a response from the Community Emergency Hubs in Johnsonville.” The second meeting, on June 26, will look at finding practical solutions to the critical needs of our community by drawing on our available resources. “It will also consider matters such as information gathering, making sure people get medical assistance ensuring that people have shelter, water, sanitation and food, and any other issues specific to our area,” Stephen says.
CLASSES IN CHINESE MUSIC, PAINTING, CALLIGRAPHY, AND MANDARIN! All ages welcome, no experience required. All instruments provided except for violin. Venue: All classes held at Toi Pōneke Arts Centre 61/69 Abel Smith Street, Te Aro, Wellington Pipa (four-stringed Chinese lute) Flute or Ocarina (vessel flute) Erhu (two-stringed bowed instrument) Or learn beautiful Chinese songs on the Violin. Dates: Music classes start 16 June and run every Saturday morning for 10 weeks. Times: 9:00am-10:30am, and 10:30am-12:00pm. Cost: $250/10 sessions, 90 min/session. Maximum 6 people in one class.
LL !! C A OW N
The China Cultural Centre in New Zealand is proud to support a series of music, language, art and calligraphy classes beginning soon:
For tyre, brake performance and wheel alignment check.
LIMITED TIME ONLY • Air Conditioning • Suspension & Steering • Brake Repairs/ Machining • WOF Testing
• Cambelt Replacement • Tyres & Wheel Alignment • Car Servicing • Clutch Repairs
Flute runs every Sunday morning for 10 weeks from 17 June, 10:30am-12:00pm.
(Next to the under construction Kenepuru Interchange)
Mandarin and Chinese culture: Thursdays 4:00-5:00PM 10 Weeks from 26 July
45 Kenepuru Dr | Porirua | 237 9690
Painting and Calligraphy: Tuesdays 4:00-5:00PM 10 Weeks from 24 July
Mon-Fri: 7.30am – 5.30pm Sat: 8.30am – 12.00pm
For registering your interest please contact:
FREE PHONE 0800 2886 4357 www.autosupershoppes.co.nz
Homestays Wanted Karori, Kelburn, Northland and Wellington Central Kind, caring and responsible families needed to accommodate • International students mainly from Asia for short or long-term stays For further information please contact Margaret Jones, 04 463 9766, or Katrina Semmens, 04 463 4716 during business hours. Email email@example.com
Independent Herald 06-06-18