Wednesday January 10, 2018
Coupons help mums in 2018 Angela MacDonald and Abbie McKoy want to give Wellington mums a helping hand this year. The Coolest Little Coupon Book is one of the newest social enterprise start ups hitting the scene in the Wellington region. The coupon book is Wellington’s one and only boutique coupon book featuring deals for mums with little ones aged from newborn to four-year-old. Coupons are included on all the essentials needed for entertainment, coffees, services, baby products, and ways for mums to treat themselves. Later this month, the company will be asking Wellington mums to nominate fellow mums to receive one of the gifted copies.
This will be through sharing their experience of why they look up to the person they’ve nominated. “We love that our brand can be used to honour other mums. It’s been so humbling to feel the support of mums in Wellington and to get this special support from an outside gifter too,” says Abbie. The mums chosen will be selected and announced on January 31 via the @formumsnz Facebook page. The book has over $3000 worth of value and costs just $38. $5 of every book also supports Mothers Network Wellington, a non-profit supporting mums through the changes and challenges of motherhood by offering non-judgemental support and connection.
Angela MacDonald and Abbie McKoy and their children. PHOTO: SUPPLIED
Overwhelming support for people in need
ABOVE: The team at Wellington City Mission. LEFT: Some of the boxes packed for Christmas. PHOTOS: SUPPLIED
Wellington City Mission has thanked Wellingtonians for being stars to people in need at Christmas. The response to the Christmas Star Appeal last year saw a record number of people get involved in their Christmas Walk of Fame, with close to 270 stars displayed on the waterfront near Te Papa. People and businesses throughout the community also got behind the appeal by filling 420 ‘Christmas Star Boxes’ with food and gifts. Others took part in the 25th anniversary of the iconic ‘Pack the Bus’, buying tickets to the
Christmas raffle, and volunteering their time to sort and repack Christmas goods. Wellington City Mission chief executive officer Michelle Branney says she was “absolutely amazed by the support” for the Christmas Star Appeal. “We’re so thankful to everyone who has got involved – whether you gave food or gift donations, donated financially, bought a star on the Walk of Fame, or helped in one of the many other ways. This generous support is certainly making an incredible difference for many during the Christmas season and will continue to do so well into the New
Year,” Michelle says. In 2017, Wellington City Mission gave out close to 1200 Christmas food parcels – this included food for more than 3000 people. This is on top of the 350 regular food parcels which they also distributed during November and December. Approximately 1700 children from throughout Greater Wellington have also received new gifts this Christmas. In the lead-up to Christmas Wellington City Mission also held three sittings for a Hakari (feast) in their Newtown drop-in centre.
Remembrance, gratitude, and preparedness – 50th anniversary A dawn service, choral tribute on Wellington’s waterfront, sail-by of a flotilla of boats, and a display focused on future preparedness are some of the public events scheduled to mark the 50th anniversary of Wahine Day on April 10. Chair of the Wahine 50 Charitable Trust Rhys Jones says the commemoration programme aims to balance three key elements – remembrance, gratitude, and preparedness. “It will be a day to remember those who lost their lives, a time for survivors to thank those who helped in their rescue and in the disaster relief, and a powerful opportunity to emphasise the need to be prepared should disaster strike again,” Rhys says. The programme is a mix of public events – from the dawn service in Eastbourne to a gathering at Seatoun School mid-afternoon – and events specifically for the survivors, family members of passengers and crew, and rescuers. A flotilla of 50 to 60 boats, including several that took part in the 1968 rescue, will be offered a formal salute as they sail pass the Wahine mast in tribute to all who took to the sea to help rescue those in trouble. “We’ve already heard from many wanting to be involved in the upcoming anniversary,” says Rhys. “Some are keen to re-connect or find fellow passengers and/or rescuers at the upcoming anniversary.
For many it will be an opportunity to share again their profound common experience.” The Wahine disaster is well documented. On 10 April 1968, the passenger ferry Wahine, buffeted by ferocious gale-force winds, ran aground on Barrett Reef at the entrance to Wellington Harbour, listed, and then sank. Fifty-one of the 734 passengers and crew on the Wahine died that day, most of them on the rocks at Pencarrow on the Eastbourne coast. Another two died later from their injuries. Most survivors and those who died ended up on the shores of Eastbourne and Seatoun. The tragedy led to improved safety procedures on ships and prompted the creation of two significant rescue services: Coastguard Wellington and the Life Flight Trust. The nationwide storm – Cyclone Giselle – that led to the Wahine’s demise, also triggered the instigation of mandatory civil defence plans by local authorities. The Wahine 50 Charitable Trust, set up by a survivors and rescuers in late 2015 to plan for the 50th anniversary, has worked closely with the Hutt City Council, Wellington City Council, NZ Search and Rescue, Muritai and Seatoun schools, the National Archives and National Library, and various sponsors to finalise the 50th anniversary programme.
Wainuiomata News 10-01-18