Thursday May 25, 2017
Transgressive work set to wow as theatre fundraiser By Emma McAuliffe
BATS Theatre’s annual fundraiser will be taking place at the end of this month and is set to be a reminder of the transgressive and transformative power of theatre. White Rabbit Red Rabbit by Nassim Soleimanpour is being produced by BATS Theatre and co-produced by Claire O’Loughlin, Samuel Phillips and Ryan Knighton. The actors involved in the project include Keagan Carr Fransch, Ricky Dey,
White Rabbit Red Rabbit will be BATS Theatre’s annual fundraiser show this year. IMAGE: Supplied.
Moana Ete, Daniel Gamboa Salazar, Kali Kopae, Salesi Le’ota, Karin McCracken, James Nokise, Jo Randerson and Mick Rose. There would be no rehearsals, no director, a script waiting in a sealed envelope and a different actor for each performance. BATS programme manager Heather O’Carroll said the show would be “an incredible leap of faith for everyone”. “The performers are not supposed to know anything about the show before they pick up the script and the audience don’t know what to expect from the play. “It’s about trusting the spontaneity of the live experience, which is what BATS is all about. The play was also chosen as the BATS fundraiser because it epitomises the kind of work we strive to programme. “White Rabbit Red Rabbit is bold and innovative, contemporary and relevant, and engages with audiences in new and exciting ways,” she said. Heather said previous show fundraisers included Christ Almighty in 2010 and Toys in 2011. BATS Theatre will be celebrating 30 years of theatre in April 2019. White Rabbit Red Rabbit would be on at BATS Theatre, 1 Kent Tce, Mount Victoria, from May 30 to June 3 at 6.30pm and 9pm. Admission costs $22 full and $16 concession. For more information or to book head to www.bats.co.nz
Scout Hall up for grabs
Michael Meredith and Liam Malone. PHOTO: Supplied.
Hungry schools helped by Paralympian Paralympian Liam Malone has joined forces with Eat My Lunch to ensure no child goes hungry. Eat My Lunch is a Buy One Give One social business currently delivered to 46 low decile schools in Wellington, Auckland and Hamilton, including Holy Cross School, Kahurangi School and Miramar Central School. Liam approached Eat My Lunch’s Lisa King as he wanted to help make New Zealand’s future look much brighter for less advantaged children. “I remember back to when I was in primary school and it was those children that came from tough socio-economic conditions, who rarely had any food at school that struggled the most with focusing and engaging in their
learning,” he said. To date Eat My Lunch has delivered over 800,000 lunches, giving 400,000 lunches to hungry kids in 46 children. But with 28 per cent of New Zealand children living in poverty there were still plenty more to feed. Eat My Lunch has a current waitlist of 20 schools. “I think it’s really important Kiwi kids receive a decent education and face minimal barriers to learning in order to have a better future. I like that Eat My Lunch helps removes barriers to learning by providing kids with the nutrition and fuel to help them focus and engage in their studies,” Liam said. Visit www.eatmylunch.nz for more information
3rd Birthday Celebration Coming Up. Visit caci.co.nz to find out more about how you can celebrate with us
Complimentary Consultation &Have HALFa PRICE Facial usingatKi. free consultation Meet the new and their Caci Oriental Bayowners during September &team receive towards yourBay next at$50 Caci Oriental treatment.
Ki… Skincare that contains a combination of our experience and expertise.
The ex-Scout Hall in Seatoun is up for tender by Wellington City Council. By Emma McAuliffe
After failing to sell at the end of last year, the ex-Seatoun Scout Hall is up for tender again. The Wellington City Council owned building that was built in the early 1930s with a lean too added on in the 1960s. It was damaged by arson in 2001. Property advisor Paul Davidson said council believed the building to be the oldest purpose built Scout Hall in Wellington.
It is protected by its District Plan Heritage and cannot be demolished. “You can’t make the footprint bigger or higher,” Paul said. The front façade would also have to be retained. Paul said there had been a bit of interest so far. “Most people would be looking at turning it into a dwelling,” he said. Closing date for the council to receive tenders is Thursday, June 15 at 5pm.
Caci are New Zealand’s leading appearance medicine and beauty specialists. Have a free consultation atisCaci Oriental Bay during Meet the newMelissa owners and their team at back September…and & receive Caci Oriental meet$50 thetowards rest Bay. ofyour the next teamtreatment. Caci Oriental Bay, 236 Oriental Parade Call 04 384 7873 for your free consultation. Conditions applythis offer is only available at Caci Oriental Bay until 30.09.14. Not to be used in Conditions apply, conjunction with any other offer. $50 towards your next treatment valued over $100.
Cook Strait News 25-05-17