Thursday June 2, 2016
Boating club sails past the competition By Kelly Hennessy COOK STRAIT NEWS INTERN
After turning in an exceptional season on and off the water, the Worser Bay Boating Club has been rewarded for its success. The Seatoun club was named as a finalist for Pak ‘n Save Kilbirnie Club of the Year at the Wellington Sportsperson of the Year Awards 2016 last week. The club’s commodore, Dean Stanley, is excited that the club has been recognised for their excellence. “We’ve had an exceptional year in a couple different wayswe had six sailors crowned as national champions during the achievement period, and we had a lot of progress with our new clubrooms,” Dean said. In addition to the six national champions, the club boasted three more podium finishes over the twelve month competition period, and had twelve members selected to New Zealand teams. The club serves all ages, with 250 members from seven-yearsold to 75. “We have really strong programs, great volunteers and participant numbers,” Dean said. They have been successful on
Members of the Worser Bay Boating Club sit seaside.
land as well, as the club works to rebuild their clubrooms. The 90-year-old club has spent sixty of those years in their current building, which they decided to update last year. In the past year they have raised approximately $730,000 before
Wellington to keep the Sevens for another three years By Emma Moody WHITIREIA JOURNALISM STUDENT
Ticket sales may be at an all-time low, but the Rugby Sevens will stay in Wellington for another three years. This decision comes after a decline in support for the tournament. Only around 15,000 tickets were sold for this year’s tournament, down from 18,000 in 2015 and 28,000 in 2014. Mayor Celia Wade-Brown said she was pleased to confirm a three-year contract with Rugby NZ. “The capital city is the best city to host this colourful international fixture and the Westpac Stadium is a good venue,” Ms Wade-Brown said. Ms Wa de -Brow n sa id changes were on the way and the Wellington City Council was working with Rugby NZ to make the event even better. “Next year - 2017 - will be an amazing year of rugby with the reinstated international Sevens and the British and Irish Lions all here in Wellington,” Celia said. Chair of the council’s economic growth committee, Jo Coughlan, said the
decision showed Wellington had the infrastructure and enthusiasm needed to host a world-class event. “Behind the Sevens is an array of businesses, organisations and people that help make this event run smoothly and make it a weekend that visitors never forget. “This decision is a vote of confidence in our city’s infrastructure – like venues, transport, accommodation and our renowned restaurants, bars and nightlife,” she said. Wellington Regional Economic Development Agency chief executive Chris Whelan also welcomed the announcement. “Wellington is an iconic event on the World Sevens Series calendar, and we are very pleased that it will remain so for at least the next three years. We look forward to supporting the city and the NZRU in ensuring next year’s tournament is the beginning of an exciting new chapter for the Wellington Sevens,” he said. Are you pleased the capital will keep the Sevens? Send us an email – news@ wsn.co.nz
any grant funding has been made, through members funds, legacy donations, discounts on resources for the rebuild and surpluses from events such as their ‘Love Boat Ball’ at the Roxy Theatre. The club is proud of the progress it has made, Dean said.
“We’ve been able to raise a lot of money, more than we had at the time of the nomination, and we’ve worked with the community on the update, gained resource consent and landowner approval, and more like that.” They are hoping to begin con-
struction in May 2017. Dean said, in the meantime, the club will be celebrating the past year’s success at the award’s dinner. “About twenty of us, all the commodores, we’ll all be there to see if we make it the next step.”
Local man sails to the top By Kelly Hennessy COOK STRAIT NEWS INTERN
Lyall Bay local Josh Junior is readying himself for Rio 2016. Josh will be sailing for New Zealand in the men’s heavyweight dinghy Finn class in the upcoming Olympic games. This opportunity has been twenty-one-years in the making, Josh said. “I started sailing when I was about five, with my father, and then by myself at eight,” he recalled. The 26-year-old will be representing both his home country
and his home club, the Worser Bay Boating Club of Seatoun. After missing selection for the 2012 London Olympics, Josh switched classes, from the Laser to the Finn, and he has excelled. Josh is looking forward to representing New Zealand in Rio, and is honoured to simply make it to Brazil. “I’m feeling pretty stoked about making it, especially as it was a tough selection. Its an achievement to even qualify, to make it there.” Josh was selected after a bundle of top finishes, winning at the 2016 Princess Sofia Regatta in
March, and placing fourth at the 2016 Finn European Champs and the Sailing World Cup Regattas, in March and April respectively. He is coached by John Cutler, who earned New Zealand a bronze medal in the Finn Class at the 1988 Olympics in Seoul. Josh’s trip to Rio will be his first appearance at the Olympics. “I’m excited about the opportunity to race, to try to win, but I’m also looking forward to watching all the other events after I am done.” Regardless of his results, Josh has all of New Zealand rooting for him.
Cook Strait News 02-06-16