Thursday September 10, 2015
LETTERS to the editor Healthier Climate for Everyone Dear Ed, Thank you for the cycling feedback, Geena, Heather and Eleanor (3 September). I can hear frustration with some cyclists, just as I was concerned by three incidents on my beach bike-ride. Cycling training is valuable, as I’ve experienced, likewise courtesy, whether driving, cycling or walking. On that day I asked my cycling commuter spouse, what am I doing wrong here? We concluded: unaware drivers and no cycling infrastructure. Safety and perceptions of safety matter – especially for many Wellingtonians who have said they’d like to bike but don’t. Parents and children are already out on their bikes. Contrasting a toddler on the back of a bike with a car-seated toddler makes a vivid urgent case for safe city-wide cycling infrastructure. Yet cycling is still much healthier than not cycling, especially reducing climate damage which world-leading medical journal ‘The Lancet’ calls a global medical emergency - and potentially the greatest global health opportu-
nity of our century. The health and climate gains are good for all of us –Dr Alex Macmillan’s 2014 Auckland research shows for every $1 spent on segregated cycleways over 40 years, we gain $10-$25. Missing from last week’s letters on cycleways and flyovers is our dangerously changing climate. We have just years to reverse business-as-usual projections of runaway climate changes. And that one-person or one-country-is-not-enoughto-do-something is not an argument we apply elsewhere, whether teachers or All Black team players! Let’s talk about what to save in Wellington, what matters to us. What about a new Council Climate Plan? With the flyover off the table, how about 100% clean energy transport within 10 years? Light rail at the heart, suburban buses, good cycleways and walkways, car share in every suburb, electric Council cars supplying the local second-hand market…what do readers think? How do we want to future-proof our city? Liz Springford, Berhampore
Have you got an anonymous THUMBS UP or THUMBS DOWN to share? email to email@example.com or Text to 022 322 4811 THUMBS UP to the sweet life on the south coast. I love this place. Let’s protect it and look after it! THUMBS DOWN to Cook Strait News tricking us and not telling us who their new reporter is going to be. The wait is killing me! THUMBS UP to World of Wearable Arts! It is always a stunning show and it is great Cook Strait News has profiled so many finalists this year! THUMBS DOWN to the stock markets getting a bit of a rollicking lately. I have been keeping a close eye on my Kiwisaver, eek.
THUMBS UP to Zac Efron with his shirt off. Check out the movie Bad Neighbours for a bit of nipple action.
THUMBS UP to our flatmate John, an avid horticulturalist. His twoheaded sunflower has been the delight of Island Bay for much of the year. Blooming marvellous!
THUMBS UP to Cook Strait News! Awesome team, awesome stories, awesome read!
THUMBS DOWN to the Island Bay Cycleway, I swear somebody will be killed within the first few weeks and the whole thing will have to be converted back to what exists at the moment. We need to stop this Council madness!
THUMBS DOWN to the letters of H Westfold. This man should not have his opinions broadcast for our young people to be influenced by. THUMBS DOWN to not having pet of the week anymore, It was a favourite part of the paper
THUMBS UP To the wonderful Customer Service at “Nailed It” Manicures & Pedicures in Kilbirnie Plaza. Someone who really cares about her clients
F F o % 0 5
WHATS ON... The Community Noticeboard is for non-profit organisations. For $15.00 you can publish up to 25 words. No AGMS, sporting notices or special meetings. Community Notices must be pre-paid. Call into our office, phone (04) 587 1660 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
EndorsEd by thE nEw ZEaland ChiropraCtors’ assoCiation
serenity Ultra sleeper desire
E OF A HUGE RANG !* BEDS
Community Market St Hilda’s FIRST Community Market to be held Saturday 12 September, 10am-2pm at 311 The Parade, Island Bay. Featuring local arts & crafts, food and entertainment. All welcome.
with the one-on-one tutoring I needed, and all the teachers inspired me to give the best I could.” - Steven Adams
SENIOR SCHOOL SCHOLARSHIPS NOW OPEN Apply at scotscollege.school.nz Applications close Friday 9 October
Queen Set King Set was $3,749
now $1,499 “ Scots provided me
• Available in Soft, feel. • Medium Medium and Firm options. • Features Dreamfoam and • Features Latex Gold and Dreamfoam comfort layers Latex Gold comfort layers with the Torquezone spring unit. with a pocket spring core to minimise partner was $2,999 disturbance.
$2,099 nowNow $1,874
• Medium to Firm feel. • Features Dreamfoam, Latex Gold and FusionGel comfort See in store for a layers with more deals Sensorzone core combining foam and springs for targeted pressure relief.
• Medium feel.
Now $3,059 was $6,499
now now$2,501 $1,655
Queen Set$5,209 WAS $2,759 King Set was was $3,499 King set
• Soft/Medium/Firm feels.
advanced system essence with 5 zoned support. Desire Serenity
50% •radiance Medium Soft feel.
• Very firm feel.
$4,199 QueenSet setwaswas Queen $4,149 Queen Set WAS $2,759
Design Mobel now $2,074 now $2,099 Now Breathe $1,655
www.bedsrus.co.nz combining foam and
tHorndon Address Details springs PROUD for TO BE LOCALLY targeted OWNED AND OPERATED phonE 4734567 5505pressure Ph: 00 123 relief.
Now $3,989 Now $3,059
OFF • Features Soft feel. a pillow • Features topDreamfoam of Latex Gold and OFF comfort layersWAS with a $4,169 pocket spring comfort and the comfort support layers • Dreamfoam Features a Euro top oflayers Dreamfoam core to minimise partner of pocket springs minimize partner and the support of to pocket springs to minimise disturbance. disturbance. partner disturbance for a great nights sleep.
30% Now $2,099
Chiropractic 40% Ultra Sleeper OFF serenity Model Clearance
• Ultra Plush feel. • Features Latex Gold and Dreamfoam • Available in Soft and Firm feels. comfort layers with the Swisstek • Naturally superior 7 zone pocket spring • Medium to Firm feel. relieves pressure OFF Latex Gold core – • Features to Dreamfoam, Gold closest storehypo-allergenic, Visit us online findLatex your • Soft/Medium/Firm feels. sensitive points. and FusionGel comfort www.bedsrus.co.nz • Features dust free and Latex layers with a Gold comfort layer Sensorzone core non-toxic. store naMe beds r us and Torquezone 190 tHorndon Quay,
E OF A HUGE RANG * BEDS!
• Medium to Firm feel. • Features Dreamfoam and WAS $5,099 Latex Gold comfort layers • Features Latex Gold and FusionGel comfort layers a pocket spring core that work together with the Sensorzonewith core to to minimise partner reduce pressure points and improve circulation. disturbance.
Queen Set was$4,169 $2,759 Queen set was
• Features Latexfor See in store Golddeals comfort layer more and Torquezone
Now$3,125 $1,655 now now $2,099
• Available in Firm, Plush •and Very ﬁrm feel. • Super Very firm feel. Plush options. ••Features Dreamfoam • Features Dreamfoam Features generous Latex Gold and Dreamfoam comfort layerslayers with aawith pocket springHD comfort a pocket spring comfort layers with Torquezone spring unit for corecore to minimise partner disturbance. to minimise advanced support andpartner durability. disturbance.
Chiropractic Ultra Sleeper
OFF 40% OFF
5 zoned support. QueenwithMattress
NowNow $2,559 $2,501 the only beds r Us in wellington
*Offer valid 24/08/2015 to 20/09/2015WAS all while stocks last. Excludes Everyday $5,099 Dream Prices and clearance stock. Q Card and GE Finance lending criteria, fees, terms and conditions apply.
Cook Strait News 11-09-15