Latest Christchurch news at www.star.kiwi
Thursday January 18 2018
Local News Now
Hinkley case: ‘I’m not saying anything’ THE MAN who said police accused him of murdering his neighbour Richard Hinkley is now refusing to talk publicly. The Star revealed last week police believe Mr Hinkley, who disappeared two years ago, could have been murdered, a property had been searched and a suspect identified. Mr Hinkley, who was 49 when he disappeared, was last seen at Kiwibank in Edgeware on December 12, 2015. Dion Louvain Lawrence was arrested by police in December and charged with stealing from Mr Hinkley’s home. Lawrence told news media after The Star article was published, police had accused him of taking a laptop from Mr Hinkley’s Madras St flat next door, and pawning it after he reported him missing in February 2016. When The Star visited Lawrence at his flat on Tuesday, he would not open the door and said he had nothing more to say. “I would rather not say anything,” he said. Last week, Lawrence told news media: “They did over my flat, kicked me out for two days, dug
MISSING: Police searched a property on Madras St in December looking for clues to what happened to Richard Hinkley, who has been missing since December 2016. PHOTO: MARTIN HUNTER
up my garden and went through everything, took half my stuff away.” Detective Inspector Corrie Parnell said last week calling the case a homicide investigation was premature and there were a number of persons of interest in what was still a missing person inquiry. Mr Hinkley was 1.84m tall, and of solid build, and had a shaved head when he was last seen. He often wore a beanie or
Dion Louvain Lawrence
hat. He was last seen wearing dark pants, a black T-shirt with a large white pattern on the front and a blue peaked cap with a
INGHAM’S LAZY SUNDAYS
dark blue logo on the front. There have been no sightings of Mr Hinkley reported since he went missing and police are not aware of any bank or electronic transactions in that time, a police spokeswoman said. It is understood Mr Hinkley was an only child and lived with his parents until they separated when he was 17. His father now lives in Australia and his mother died in 2011.
Fire rage s, homes
5 at risk
ANZ closes Brighton branch By Andrew King NEW BRIGHTON residents have been dealt another blow as a second bank announces it will be permanently closing its doors. ANZ on Seaview Rd will amalgamate with The Palms branch in Shirley on January 26, meaning the area Poto will only have one Williams bank left – New Brighton NZ Post & Kiwibank in the Brighton Mall. It comes after Westpac announced last year it will be closing its doors in New Brighton, Sydenham and Lincoln. An ANZ spokesman said a 20 per cent decline in transactions over the past two years at the New Brighton site was the main reason the two branches will join. Christchurch East MP Poto Williams posted the news on her Facebook page, which gained a swift and angry response.
Have you checked your underfloor repairs? This is the sort of ‘repair’ we are finding.
Sunday 21 January, 3.30–5pm Archery Lawn, Botanic Gardens Neo-soul artist Sacha Vee, will deliver a pulsating showcase of her own soulful sound with her all-star live band. Put summer into your Sundays with Ingham’s Lazy Sundays. ccc.govt.nz/summertimes
We will go under your house and give you peace of mind for free. N NO WI E NO FE
Ph: 03 377 8855 | 127 Ferry Road, Christchurch City E: firstname.lastname@example.org | W: www.earthquakeservices.co.nz
The Star 18-01-18