NET-ZERO BY 2050
Calling for progressive, global policy We urged policymakers to strengthen the global climate agreement with an ambitious, long-term goal as well as additional policy solutions, including implementing carbon pricing and ending fossil fuel subsidies.
• Published an open letter supporting a long-term goal to the Executive Secretary of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC)
“Through its work with other coalitions and partnerships, The B Team helped to generate significant momentum throughout 2015 and build the confidence of governments worldwide. This high-level, focused advocacy from global business leaders was an unprecedented and defining factor and was a paradigm shift when compared to previous global efforts on climate change.” Christiana Figueres, Executive Secretary, UNFCCC
• Engaged 193 heads of state • Encouraged influential governments to take strong action at a national level, such as supporting the US Clean Power Plan and UK net-zero legislation • Joined Carbon Pricing Leadership Coalition along with 21 governments and 90 businesses • Joined Friends of the Fossil Fuel Subsidy Reform
Galvanising the business community A unified front of leaders came together to demonstrate business demand for progressive climate policy. The B Team joined BSR, CDP, Ceres, The Climate Group, the Prince of Wales’s Corporate Leaders Group and the World Business Council for Sustainable Development to establish We Mean Business, a network of more than 300 companies working within a common platform to amplify business support for bold climate action and policies.
We engaged 30 CEOs and 251 companies to adopt the following commitments:
• 13 B Team companies announced 44 climate related commitments recommended by We Mean Business
• Adopting a science-based emissions reduction target • Putting a price on carbon • Procuring 100% of electricity from renewable sources • Establishing responsible corporate engagement in climate policy • Reporting climate change information in mainstream reports as fiduciary duty • Removing commodity-driven deforestation from all supply chains by 2020 • Reducing short-lived climate pollutant emissions • Committing to improve energy productivity
• 10 B Team companies aspired to become Net-Zero by 2050 - Broad, Econet, Kering, Natura, Safaricom, Salesforce, Unilever, Virgin Management, NRG and Tiffany & Co
For the past three years, The B Team has worked in partnership with businesses, governments, thought-leaders and civil society advocates to...