Page 1

Tuke House

Residents Handbook 2012

Contents 1 Introduction 2

Sanctuary Management Services and Tuke House


Support for students in residences


General information


Services available at Tuke House


Tuke House flats


SMS Residential services and facilities


Maintenance guidelines


Health, safety, emergency, fire and security information


Information relating to your contractual obligations and institutional regulations


Leaving Tuke House


Finance and accommodation charges


Other services on campus


Complaints procedure


Frequently asked questions


Appendix one


Appendix two


Appendix three


Appendix four

Introduction Welcome to Tuke House and to your Residence’s Handbook. We advise you to read this carefully before accepting your Accommodation Agreement. This Handbook explains how Sanctuary Management Services manages Tuke House and how this relates to your Accommodation Agreement (the contract for the accommodation) held by Falmouth Exeter Plus Accommodation Office at Tremough. Keep the Handbook with you throughout the year as it will help you deal with any problems that might arise and also help you with any queries you may have before moving in. If you are unable to find an answer to any query you may have about living in Tuke House then please speak to the Site Supervisor on 01326 319149. As a University College Falmouth or Cornwall College student, you will be bound by your Institution’s General Regulations. In this document we emphasise certain points concerning your well being and that of your fellow students; please see your Accommodation Agreement and Institution’s Regulations for Residences for further information. This Handbook is available in large print. Please contact the Accommodation Office, 01326 253639 if you require a copy. Universities UK Code of Practice Falmouth Exeter Plus has signed up to the Universities UK Code of Practice and has achieved compliance with this code which promotes best practice over a range of management activities in student residences. The full code can be viewed at


Sanctuary Management Services and Tuke House Tuke House has been developed as a partnership between Sanctuary Management Services (SMS) and Falmouth Exeter Plus. It comprises of 156 purposebuilt, single, fully fitted, compact, study bedrooms. The majority of flats are grouped in five study bedrooms, connected to a fully equipped communal kitchen area. There are two, three-bed flats suitable for students with a range of disabilities. Staff responsible for the buildings & Building Services at Tuke House The Site Supervisor has an office on the site and is the local representative of SMS. The Caretaker is available to assist with any maintenance issues whilst the Administration Assistant (based in the Site Office) is available to assist with any general queries you may have. The Cleaning Team provide a weekly cleaning service for the communal areas of the flats. Address Henry Scott Tuke House Quarry Hill Falmouth Cornwall TRII 2EA Site Office Opening times are between 1pm – 5pm, Monday to Friday. Between 9am – 1pm the Site Supervisor can be contacted on 01326 319149, or on 07876 217069. Please note that Tuke House is not staffed in the evenings after 5pm or over the weekends. Repairs can be reported to the Site Office by email: (please see further information on page 10) The Facilities Services Manager South West Has overall responsibility for Henry Scott Tuke House and is based in Plymouth. Contact: Sanctuary Management Services, Leat House, Tavistock Road, Roborough, Plymouth, PL6 TBD Tel: 0800 083 9283, or Fax: 01752 695834


Who are Falmouth Exeter Plus? Falmouth Exeter Plus is a company jointly owned by University College Falmouth and the University of Exeter. The company is an exempt charitable company limited by guarantee. Registered in England and Wales No 5103240. The group comprises of Accommodation Services, Student Support Services, IT, Catering and Bars and the Sports Centre at Tremough. Student Support Services comprises of Accessibility Services, Counselling, Living Support, the Nursery and the Chaplaincy. Accommodation Services Team Falmouth Exeter Plus Accommodation Services manage, as part of their duties, the Accommodation Agreements at Tuke House. Their permanent base is on the Tremough Campus in Penryn. Contact: Accommodation Services, Tremough Campus, Treliever Road, Penryn, Cornwall, TRI0 9EZ Tel: 01326 253639 or 01326 370436 e-mail: The website is available at Office opening times at Tremough: Monday to Friday 9:00am – 5:00pm The Accommodation Services Team provides a service to Tuke residents from the Site Office and also at the Woodlane Campus; further information will be available at move in.

Support for students in residences Support and Welfare The Accommodation Services Team have regular Drop In Sessions during term time at Tuke House and at the Woodlane Campus where students can book appointments to speak with a member of the team. Further details of days and times will be provided. The sessions offer you an opportunity to discuss any support needs, welfare concerns or problems you may have during your stay at Tuke House. The advice you are given will depend on how you want to deal with the concern and the seriousness of the issue. There are several options available to you – including a range of support services within the Accommodation and Student Support Services (see page 18).You are also able to make an appointment to discuss a problem or concern you may have throughout the week with the Accommodation Services Team – contact details on page 2.

on the site. Reports of anti-social behaviour and any breach of residence regulations are referred to staff, who will respond accordingly in line with disciplinary procedures.

Residents’ concerns If you have any concerns whilst living at Tuke House, the Site Office and Services Staff are available if you need assistance. Whatever the circumstances one of the team members will be there to provide support or refer issues on to other more appropriate services where necessary. Falmouth Exeter Plus and SMS promote a supportive environment within Tuke House and therefore, ask that residents look out for one another and let staff know if they feel that there is any cause for concern.

Support for Students at Tuke House Resident Assistants are employed by Falmouth Exeter Plus and live on-site. They act as a point of liaison between Accommodation Services staff and residents and provide residents with information, support and signposting.

Living Support Team Welfare issues/concerns may be referred to or brought to the attention of the Living Support Team who liaises with other internal and external support services as well as the relevant departments of your Institution. Students can contact the Team directly if they have welfare concerns about themselves or others, and in some cases, may just need assistance with reference to who they need to speak to. The Team can be contacted on 01326 370460. Peace of Mind Security Peace of Mind Security are employed by Falmouth Exeter Plus to under take regular patrols of Tuke House every evening, which includes checking the buildings in addition to an out of hours call out response. They are there to offer you advice about safety and security and about how to avoid neighbour complaints. The local community is aware that Peace of Mind is employed to help ensure a quiet and peaceful community. We receive daily reports from Peace of Mind regarding their time spent patrolling Tuke House and use this information when assessing any problems which occur


Please be courteous and co-operate with Peace of Minds Staff who are employed to assist and help you get the most of your stay at Tuke House and to protect you and the reputation of Tuke House within the local community. Please read more about personal safety and your responsibilities as a student on page 13. Out of Hours Support In addition to Peace of Mind Security response, there is an Out of Hours Support team based at the Glasney Lodge on the Tremough Campus who provide support/ advice in the event of an emergency or when there is cause for concern.

Welcome inductions All residents will be required to complete an online inductions prior to arrival at Tuke House. Further information on the induction will be sent to you via email. You will also be met in your flat by members of the Accommodation Services Team and SMS shortly after your arrival, giving you an opportunity to meet the staff and ask any questions you may have. The information will include: • • • • • • • • •

An introduction to Sanctuary Management Services (SMS), Accommodation Staff and Resident Assistants. Peace of Mind Security – their role at Tuke House. Information about what we are responsible for. The important issues when moving into student accommodation. Advice on living in a shared house or flat – especially if this is your first time away from home. Who to contact in the first instance; for example for repairs, or in a crisis. How to react in the event of a fire or on hearing the fire alarm. Personal Safety and Security Issues involving local Police and Fire Brigade representatives. CCTV

Information boards/Website Every flat kitchen at Tuke House has an information board – essential information about what is on will be posted here throughout the year. A regular newsletter from SMS and Falmouth Exeter Plus will be posted here too. Throughout the year you can refer back to the relevant contractual information and the online induction by visiting the Accommodation website.

Private Sector information In Spring 2013 undergraduates will be looking for private sector accommodation for the second year. The Accommodation Services Team has a Private Sector Liaison Officer (PSLO) who will arrange information sessions to give you a head start and discuss any queries you may have. Drop-in sessions are held with the PSLO at the Woodlane Campus during term time and appointments can be made to discuss your options further. Information will be available in the first term. There is also a private sector accommodation list on the Accommodation Office website

General information Arriving at your Accommodation Foundation students The keys to your room will be available on Saturday 1 September from 9.30am to 4pm; from the site office at Tuke House. Further information regarding the arrival process will be covered in the online induction Higher Education students Further information regarding the arrival process will be covered in the induction. Please note that Tuke House, Accommodation Services Team and Finance Department staff are only available between the above times on the move in days.


Please leave plenty of time for your journey; transport routes into the South West are very busy during the summer months. Storage Please note there is no storage space for keeping packing boxes or large items of equipment. After unpacking, all boxes of combustible material must be disposed of immediately in the waste receptacles provided at the residence. Also storage space is not available for belongings sent in advance and, if you are not bringing all your belongings with you, you are advised to ensure that your belongings arrive after you have taken up occupation.

Inventories We hope that you find that the accommodation is clean and in good repair when you move in. An inventory relating to the study bedroom will be left in the room and the inventory relating to the communal area left in the kitchen. When you move in please check the inventory for the study bedroom and sign for correctness. Any discrepancies and defects, including missing items, should be notified to the Site Supervisor. Keys to the flat will only be issued once the signed inventory is returned to the Site Supervisor on the day of arrival. The kitchen inventory must be agreed by all the students, signed and returned to the Site Supervisor within 5 working days. Copies of the inventories will be kept in the Site Supervisor’s office and a full inventory check will be made against this initial record when the flat is vacated and any discrepancies will be charged to the appropriate residents. Moving rooms Moving rooms within Tuke House will only be permitted in certain circumstances; full details are contained in the residence regulations. We do not allow students to move rooms in the first two weeks. After that the decision will be at the discretion of the Accommodation Team; you will need to arrange an appointment to discuss further. A £40 administration fee is applied.

Data Protection Personal information held about you is protected by the Data Protection Act 1998. This means that Falmouth Exeter Plus and SMS only hold information about you which is relevant to allocating and managing Tuke House and managing College facilities. Any information provided to Falmouth Exeter Plus will be treated confidentially and only used for appropriate management purposes. Personal information about you will only be disclosed to staff within the College and SMS on a need to know basis This also means we do not communicate with students’ parents or agents without the student’s written authority except as permitted by the Data Protection Act. This is only in very serious circumstances. Please also note we are sometimes contacted by private landlords for references and are asked to provide information on your suitability as a tenant, eg damage to property, anti-social behaviour, rent arrears etc. We have to be accurate, but will only pass this information on with your authorisation. No Smoking Policy You are respectfully reminded that from 1 July 2007 a smoking ban came into effect for public places. Falmouth Exeter Plus and SMS have a strict no smoking policy in any of their owned or managed accommodation including Tuke House. It is the responsibility of all Falmouth Exeter Plus and SMS employees to ensure that these policies and guidelines are followed. In order to help achieve this we would ask for the co-operation of all students and request that they bring to the attention of SMS Site staff any visitor or resident seen to be smoking within a smoke-free environment or where smoking is/has been occurring within a smoke-free area. The ban applies to all internal areas of the flats, including the study bedrooms, bathrooms and communal kitchens. Breaking the smoking ban is a criminal offence under UK law. Fines for breaching the smoking ban can range between £100 and £2,500 and a prison sentence.


Services available at Tuke House Keys/key fobs You will be issued with the keys on the day you move in. The keys are your personal responsibility; never lend your key to anyone else, not even your friends. Keys must not be copied; lending and copying keys are breaches of your Accommodation Agreement. The loss of keys/key fobs must be reported to the Site Office immediately. You will be liable for the replacement charge, which can be expensive if the locks need changing. Note: Your keys are YOUR responsibility. If you lose your keys outside of normal working hours (see page 2) you will need to make your own arrangements and speak to the Site Supervisor at 9:00am the next working day. Mail Each accommodation block is provided with mail boxes which are situated on the outside of the building, with one box per flat. Mail is delivered by the Post Office to each block and you will need to collect your personal mail from the lobby box. Please ensure that mail is correctly addressed with the flat number to avoid potential loss: Your full name, Flat and Room Number, Henry Scott Tuke House, Quarry Hill, Falmouth, TRII 2EA Redirection SMS staff will not forward mail; it will be marked ‘Return to Sender’ and sent back to the Post Office. The Post Office offers a redirection service and at the end of term you must make your own arrangements to utilise this service. Forms can be obtained from the Post Office direct. Parcels can be collected from the site office. Please fill in a consent form if you require this service. Launderette facilities The launderette is situated adjacent to the Site Office. There are three washers and three dryers. The machines are coin operated and are open 24/7.

• •


£2.50 per wash £1.20 per dry

Bicycle storage Bicycle racks are available on site and keys can be obtained from the Site Office on arrival. For health and safety reasons bikes must not be stored in any area in Tuke House. All bicycles not removed within 28 days of vacating the premises will be disposed of at the owner’s expense. Any storage costs will be charged at £15 per week payable before the bicycle will be released. Parking There are very limited parking facilities within the residences; with 9 spaces in total, therefore students are strongly discouraged from bringing cars. Applications for a parking permit can be made to the Site Supervisor after the 25th September. Priority is given to disabled students with a blue badge. Parking at Tuke House without a permit will result in your vehicle being clamped or issued with a parking fine by the parking management company employed by SMS to control the car parking areas. Neither SMS or the Accommodation Team can enter into discussions with students or their visitors who are issued with parking fines. All enquiries need to be directed to the telephone numbers displayed on the parking notices. Please call the Site Office on 01326 319149 for more information. Parking on campus is limited; a permit for the Tuke House car park does not entitle you to a car parking space on either campus. These must be applied for separately. For information relating to parking regulations, clamping fees, fines and current charges about parking please call the Estates Department on 01326 370728. Alternatively contact Cornwall Council on 0300 1234222 to reserve a place in their adjoining Town Quarry car park. SMS do not accept any liability for loss or damage to vehicles or bicycles whilst on Tuke House premises.

Tuke House flats What do I need to bring? All study bedrooms have a wardrobe, desk, shelves, chest of drawers, single bed, wall mounted heater, blinds, desk light and bin. The rooms are decorated to a high standard throughout, with dark blue carpet tiles and navy blue blinds. You will have to provide everything else –

• • • • •

Bedding (sheets, pillows, pillow cases, duvet and duvet cover and an under blanket) Towels, tea towels Wooden shower mat (the shower room does not have a shower tray) Cooking utensils, (pans, plates, cutlery, mugs, can openers etc) Rugs or similar protection for the carpet if there is a likelihood of damage by use of artist’s materials.

Information folders Each flat kitchen also has a folder with essential information regarding Tuke House. This will be available when you move in and should be used for reference throughout your stay. The folder will include a copy of the Residences Handbook, an Accommodation Agreement and a copy of your Institution’s Regulations, as well as copies of our standard forms, details of Endsleigh Block Halls Insurance and information about other services available to you in and around Falmouth and on campus. Use of network connection in study bedrooms Internet connection is available at no additional cost for the academic year. Further information on how to register for the internet will be provided in your induction. If you are in any doubt over your machine specification or do not currently own a card and cable, IT Services can provide advice with purchasing. Please contact the IT Helpdesk on 01326 213822. Falmouth IT Services (FITS) are responsible for the network connection to your machine, but this responsibility ends at the wall socket. Any suspected network/socket problems should be reported to FITS. Phones A telephone is provided in each bedroom. All phones will be checked prior to you arriving, however if the phones are faulty please advise the Site Office. Your phone number will be clearly shown on the phone itself.


Several local stores sell phone cards which will be available to purchase when you move in. To make an external call from your room please dial 9 then the number required. To dial internally you usually dial the last 4 digits of the external number – these calls are free. Television Licence Students with personal televisions, for use in their bedrooms or in the communal area will need to purchase an individual licence (ie: If four residents in a flat each have a TV in their bedroom they each need a licence. If a television set is in a communal area it needs only one licence purchased by the owner of the set). Licences are available from “Pay Point” outlets, eg SPAR on Market Street, Falmouth or online at Failure to have a current licence could lead to prosecution. Council Tax The vast majority of full time students are exempt from council tax (including over the vacation). Part-time students are not exempt and those receiving state benefits should seek advice from Cornwall Council regarding exemption. The Student Records Team send an exemption certificate to the local authorities at the beginning of the new academic year. Electoral Registration Students in Tuke House will be included on information provided to Cornwall Council by the Student Records Team. We recommend that you also register at your home address in case an election occurs during a vacation. Summer lets Dependant on availability, it may be possible for students to remain in residence at Tuke House during the summer period. Students wishing to remain longer during the summer months, can apply to do so nearer the time to the Accommodation Services Team, however you may not be in the same room/flat. Litter clearance SMS team keep litter to a low level in the outdoor areas. However, all students are urged to refrain from dropping litter and cigarette butts and to use the bins provided.

Snow and ice SMS team have a policy of making better the worst effects of ice, snow, leaves and algae on paths. Students should take extra care when the weather is bad, and any students with disabilities who may need extra help during such conditions should contact the Site Supervisor in the first instance.

You may not keep any pet or bird in the residences apart from guide dogs. In addition you may not feed birds or animals in the residences or on the premises. Any lost property should be handed in to the Site Office.

General information You are allowed to move furniture around within the flat but you must not remove any of the furniture and must return it to its original location before vacating the flat. Do not bring furniture into the flat and do not make any alterations to the property - you will be charged for the removal/disposal/damage if you do so. Please use the noticeboards in your bedrooms for any posters and pictures. Refrain from attaching pictures and posters to the bedroom walls as this could result in redecoration at the end of term, and a deduction from your deposits.

SMS residential services and facilities Cleaning Students are jointly responsible for the general care of the communal area of the flat and individually for the upkeep of your room. Study bedroom You will be responsible for cleaning your own study bedroom and keeping it in a reasonable state of order and an acceptable level of hygiene throughout the year. SMS reserves the right to employ cleaners if hygiene or cleanliness falls below a reasonable standard. In this event you will be recharged for the full cost of cleaning. SMS staff will descale the shower and clean the gullies on a monthly basis. Please be aware the fire detectors in bedrooms are extremely sensitive and can be activated if you do not close the shower room door whilst running hot water. Communal kitchen SMS staff will clean the sink, worktops, cooker top, the exterior of the microwave and floor in the communal kitchen area on a weekly basis. The schedule for this will be posted on each kitchen notice board. To enable the staff to carry out their work all areas must be kept in a reasonable condition. This includes ensuring sinks and worktops are free of dishes, etc.


If your kitchen is left in a state whereby SMS staff are unable to clean these areas you will receive rectification notices to this effect. If following this notification the situation is not resolved SMS will clean the area and recharge all residents of that flat. Kitchen equipment Fridge/Freezers must be kept in a hygienic state at all times. This involves regular defrosting (see Appendix 1). You are also responsible for cleaning the cooker and microwave. Rubbish and recycling You are required to regularly remove rubbish from the flat and deposit it in the bins conveniently located within the waste disposal areas - see notice board in your kitchen area for location of the bins and collection times. Recycling facilities are available in Grove Place Car Park near Discovery Quay. Property inspections SMS will carry out a formal inspection of the study bedroom 2-3 times a year although if there are problems it may be inspected more frequently. 5 days notice will be given in writing of any formal inspection, wherever possible. SMS encourage you to be present at these

inspections to ensure your inventories are correct; if the time is inconvenient please contact the Site Supervisor to rearrange. The inspection covers a range of checks and you will be provided with a copy of the list in your flat folder. At the end of the inspection SMS staff will notify you of any faults or problems that need to be rectified and you will receive a copy of the inspection. If the state of the property is found to be unsatisfactory it will be re-inspected at a later date. Controlling condensation Make sure steam can escape from your room. Open a window after you have had a shower and also when you have been cooking in the communal area. The use of fans is encouraged to help minimise condensation. If you have problems with condensation tell SMS who will give you advice. The fire detectors in bedrooms are extremely sensitive and can be activated if you do not close the shower room door whilst running hot water. Sinks and drains Do not put food or fat down the sink as they will block waste pipes. Put household toilet cleaner down sinks and toilets regularly (always read the instructions carefully). Do not dispose of sanitary items in the toilet as this will cause a blockage; please dispose of them in the external bins.

It is essential that you make the most economic use of your electricity to allow the credit to last, as inefficiency will use up energy quickly. The flat will be given advice during each term on electricity consumption and ways of staying within credit. To assist you we have drawn up the following useful tips:

• •

• • •

In the case of a blockage through carelessness SMS will charge you for unblocking sinks and drains. Charges A list of charges which will be charged to individuals for damage/replacement is available on page 24. For further information see the section Damage and Misconduct on page 14. Energy management advice We want you to be comfortable in your flats and bedrooms and therefore each occupant has been allocated an amount of electricity in the form of monetary credits. These have been fed into your electric meter located in the fuse cupboard in the kitchen. These credits are fixed for the whole year at the commencement of the Autumn Term. SMS staff will monitor the meter regularly to ensure your usage is not in excess of what has been budgeted for.


Try to all cook together or have the same meal. This will save on cooking energy. Do not use the oven as a heater and do not leave the rings, oven or grill on when not in use. When using the heaters in the kitchen keep these to a Iow, but comfortable setting. Avoid having windows open with the heating on as this causes the warm air to escape from the building. It also results in more energy being used to re-heat the heater. This will use up your credits quickly. The same applies to the use of the heaters located in bedrooms; these are set to a maximum of 21°C and will not come on above this room air temperature. Do not cover the heaters as this will stop the flow of hot air and will use more energy. It may also damage the heater. Do not leave hot water taps running or dripping as this causes hot water to be wasted and more energy is used to heat the replacement water. Dripping taps will also cause the lost heated water to be replaced with cold water which will not be heated until the next off-peak period. If this happens you may end up with tepid or cold water. To heat this up you can use the on-peak switch, located in the bedroom. Switching off all lights in unused areas will save on your electricity.

If you do not follow the advice given by staff and use up your allocation then you will need to purchase additional credit from the Site Office. Please note this year has seen a substantial rise in the amount of electrical equipment students have brought with them which had a direct effect on the amount of electricity used within the flats. Over half the flats used up their given quota of electricity this year before the Christmas break. More information on energy efficiency will be available on your arrival.

Maintenance guidelines Reporting a repair We realise how important it is to provide an efficient repairs service to you and for this reason we aim to carry out repairs within certain time limits. To ensure an appropriate response you should make requests for maintenance on the ‘Building Maintenance Request Form’. A supply of these will be available in each flat information folder or alternatively from the Site Office. The form needs to be handed into the Site Office during normal hours. Out of hours and for your convenience you can also report repairs direct to the Site Office by email: or send a text to 07876 217069. Time table for repairs Please note, the following list does not include every possible type of repair, but it is a guide to SMS general policy. 24 Hours – Gas leaks, dangerous electrical faults, complete lighting failure within flat, communal area lighting failure, serious water leaks from tanks / pipes, faulty door locks, blocked drains, re-glazing where its absence presents a lack of security. 48 Hours – Failure of heating system, failure of hot / cold water services, emergency systems, roof leaks (urgent). 5 Working Days – General electrical faults, re-glazing, replacement of unsound flooring. 20 Working Days – General roofing repairs, general plumbing repairs, repairs to joinery, repairs to rainwater goods, TV aerials. 3 Months – non urgent repairs, repairs to internal fittings. Emergency repairs and out of hours You should report defects immediately to the Site Supervisor – see above. If unable to contact the Site Supervisor or outside normal office hours you must report emergency repairs to SMS 24 Hour Response Service by telephoning 08007 814532. Use of the out of hours service when the repair is not an emergency will result in the cost of the work being recharged to you. When you report the repair give the following information: Your name, address and telephone number, what repair needs doing with as much detail as you can and access details if that is appropriate. Charges and compensation If we repair anything that has been damaged by you or which is your responsibility we will expect you to pay for it. SMS have a compensation procedure in place should


residents feel that SMS have been negligent in carrying out repairs. Further information on this procedure is available at the Site Office. Defective equipment If an item of equipment in the building belonging to SMS becomes defective you should inform the Site Office who will complete a repair/replacement form. You will be required to sign the form following which a replacement will be provided. Electrical safety The use of portable heating equipment in the accommodation and communal areas is forbidden. Cooking and catering must only be undertaken in the communal kitchen area. Under no circumstances should cooking equipment such as toasters, kettles, grills or hot plates be used in study bedrooms. International students should be aware that voltages in the United Kingdom may differ from their own country and they should check for this before using electrical equipment. They should also note that in the UK electric is supplied via a 3-pin plug, not 2-pins. Electrical equipment which normally runs at lower voltage must be used with an appropriate adapter. You must notify the Site Office in the event of any electrical failure. You must not interfere with any electrical circuits or installations on the site or use any form of radiant fires/convectors or electrical adaptors. The risk of a fire or injury being caused by an electrical fault can be reduced if you:

• • • • • • • • •

Do not leave appliances plugged in and switched on unless you are actually using them. Do not run flex below carpets or allow them to trail across the room. Do not use any electrical appliances in the bathroom, eg hairdryers, curling tongs and radios, unless like shavers they are made for that purpose. Never touch anything electric with wet hands. Make sure flexes are in good condition and appliances are correctly fused. Do not use multi-sided adaptors-fused boards are safer. If you ever accidentally cut through a flex that is plugged into a socket, do not pick up the ends until you have pulled the plug out. Check for damage to the plug or cable and that the plug has a ‘kite’ mark – complies with BS I 363. Check that there are no ‘home made’ joins in

• • •

the cable or that insulation is showing. Check that there is no damage to the covering of the equipment or burn marks on the plug or equipment. Do not replace plugs or repair equipment unless you know what you are doing. Do not overload circuits as this will trip the circuit breaker or blow a fuse.

We require that all portable electrical items must be capable of passing a current Portable Appliance Test (PAT) or be less than one year old. If you want to check an items we will be requiring you to get your portable equipment tested at the start of the Autumn term. A small charge will be levied for such a test. SMS and Falmouth Exeter Plus reserve the right to impound any equipment deemed to appear unsafe by the site supervisor or a competent electrical tester.

Health, safety, emergency, fire and security information Fire and safety precautions Notices of what to do in the event of fire are prominently displayed throughout Tuke House in communal areas and in study bedrooms. When the fire bell rings everyone is required to leave the building immediately and assemble outside away from the main doors in the Quarry Hill car park assembly point. If you discover a fire • Sound the fire alarm and call the fire brigade. • When calling the Fire Brigade always remember to identify your residence by road and town ie Henry Scott Tuke House, Quarry Hill, Falmouth, TR11 2EA. • Warn students in nearby rooms if you can do so without personal risk. • Extinguish the fire if you can do so without personal risk. • Leave the building by the nearest exit and go to the assembly point Quarry Hill Car Park. Drills There will be regular fire drills during the year, and your participation is essential for Health and Safety reasons. If it is not carried out correctly the practice will have to be


repeated. Anyone who does not vacate the building with all due haste on the occasion of any alarm, practice or not, is liable to disciplinary action. Accidental activation In the event of accidental activation, the normal evacuation procedure should still be followed but please make a member of staff aware that it is a false alarm as soon as possible. Your main responsibility is to ensure your own safety. One of the main causes of false activation of the fire alarms is in the communal areas. This is due to residents either not allowing the area to be ventilated, the cookers and grills being unclean, or the fire doors being propped open. Please be aware: It is a criminal offence to tamper with fire equipment and if you do you will be subjected to a fine (of between £100 minimum and £5,000 maximum) and could be sent to prison. Assistance in an emergency Students with a disability, who may require assistance during fire evacuations, should ensure they inform the Accommodation Office if they have not already done so at the application stage. We will arrange for a Personal

Evacuation Plan to be drawn up and a suitable room allocated. This is required even if your condition is temporary. If a change in your health occurs during your stay that could affect you or others health and safety you must inform the Site Supervisor and the Accommodation Services. This will allow us to carry out the required assessments and adjustments for your safety. If you have an injury which impedes your movement or means you need assistance in an emergency at Tuke House please make the staff at the Site Office aware. Consideration must be given to this throughout your stay, eg if you have an injury/accident during term time. Fire equipment All flats are fitted with heat and fire detectors, fire alarms, fire extinguishers, fire blankets and door closers. Familiarise yourself with the procedures in the event of fire. If any of this equipment is used or damaged, please inform the Site Office so that a replacement can be obtained. Your responsibilities You and your visitors must observe the Fire, Safety and Security regulations at all times. Failure to do so will be regarded as a serious disciplinary offence. Do not prop fire doors open, do not tamper with alarms, hoses and extinguishers. Improper use of fire prevention or fire detection equipment is a criminal offence, for which the culprit may be prosecuted. It is also a serious breach of your Residences Contract which will lead to it being terminated and a serious offence under the College’s disciplinary regulations. Any costs incurred will be passed on to the offending person or residents of that flat. Please note the statutory authorities have a right of entry and inspection to your flat at any time and you are required to comply with their instructions. Failure to do so can lead to prosecution. Candles, incense burners, joss sticks and nightlights are not permitted on the premises because of the associated risk of fire. Items will be removed by SMS staff. Any items left in corridors that are deemed to be a hazard will be removed and disposed of at the owner’s expense and neither Falmouth Exeter Plus nor SMS will be liable for any costs incurred. False Fire Alarms – the minimum fine is £100, however this could rise to as high as £5,000 if the fire brigade become involved. Further information regarding the fire alarms will be given when you move in and at the Welcome Inductions.


Emergencies (9) 999 is for the Emergency Services from your bedroom phone - please do not use this number unless it is a genuine emergency. False calls to the emergency services number can be traced and callers will be prosecuted. Emergency procedures and first aid In the event of an emergency, call an ambulance by dialling (9) 999, from the phone in your room. A First Aid box is located in the Site Office. Accidents and incidents All accidents and major incidents must be reported to the Site Supervisor. An accident or incident report form can be obtained from the Site Supervisor to whom forms must be returned on completion. We also ask you to be vigilant on behalf of other residents, staff and visitors to Tuke House – please report any situations which could constitute a hazard to the Site Office. Security and Burglaries The study bedrooms could be an easy target for sneak thieves and you should shut all windows, especially in ground floor rooms, and lock the door whenever you leave the bedroom unattended, even if you are away for only a few minutes. Bedroom and kitchen doors should be locked for security when you are not using them. Do not leave cash and valuables on display and visible on window sills and do not leave notes on your door which indicate the flat is empty. Please remember that the responsibility for any item within the room remains with you and, in addition, items within communal areas are the collective responsibility of yourself and all those that live in the flat. Be prepared that members of staff may ask you for ID and all staff members will carry their own ID cards at all times. Don’t let strangers into the buildings. Be aware of “tailgating”, people following you into the accommodation. Do ask for people’s ID if you do not recognise them and challenge intruders, if you think it is safe to do so, by asking “can I help you?” for example. Report any suspicions to a member of SMS or to the local police or Peace of Mind if it is outside office hours. You are strongly encouraged to attend the induction sessions which include Police talks about security and safety. The sessions will be publicised on your arrival. CCTV The Residences have 24hr CCTV coverage to ensure security. TCS follows the CCTV Code of Practice 2008 and has policies in place to ensure full compliance with the Data Protection Act 1998.

Possessions insurance Falmouth Exeter Plus and SMS do not accept responsibility for loss or theft of or damage to residents’ property unless it is caused by Falmouth Exeter Plus’ or SMS’ negligence or breach of Residence Contract. Falmouth Exeter Plus has a basic block insurance policy with Endsleigh Insurance Services Ltd that covers students’ personal property in Tuke House. It is important that you check the limitations and exclusions of the policy to ensure that sufficient cover is in place for your individual requirements. What is covered? Your possessions are covered by Endsleigh Insurance Services Ltd from theft whilst in your room. Please log on to to find out if you need to extend the benefits provided to include cover for valuable items such as laptops, mp3 players, cameras, musical instruments, bikes and mobile phones. You are strongly advised not to keep large sums of cash in your room. Full details of the cover provided and quotations to extend the basic policy can be obtained via the Endsleigh’s specific student insurance website or by telephoning Endsleigh on 0800 0327081.

How to make a claim In the event of an insurance claim, you should:

• • • • •

Report the incident to the Police (in the event of theft, accidental loss or malicious damage) and obtain a crime reference number or lost property log. Report the incident to the Site Office, which may be contacted on 01326 319149 – you will also need to fill in an SMS incident report form. To obtain an Endsleigh claim form either download a claim form from or, telephone Endsleigh’s Claims Team on 0800 0327081. Before forwarding the claim form to the insurers, please obtain an Accommodation Office validation stamp. The completed and stamped claim form, plus any supporting evidence of loss, should then be forwarded to the insurers at the address listed on the claim form.

Endsleigh Insurance contact details Online: Phone: General Enquiries / Claims Enquiries: 0800 0327081.

Information relating to your contractual obligations and Institutional Regulations Contractual obligations There are 156 students at Tuke House living in close proximity to one another. To ensure that Tuke House runs as smoothly as possible, every student enters into a legally binding Accommodation Agreement with Falmouth Exeter Plus, setting out the minimum standard of behaviour expected from the students living at Tuke House. Failure to abide to these regulations could result in disciplinary action being taken by the Accommodation Services, SMS, the Institution, and also the Police, where an illegal act has taken place. A serious or persistent breach of the Accommodation Agreement entitles Falmouth Exeter Plus to take legal action against you and under certain circumstances terminate the Accommodation Agreement. Institutional obligations and Student Charter In addition to the Accommodation Agreement, your Institution has set regulations, which protect and promote an atmosphere conducive to studying and living


together. It is everyone’s responsibility to comply with these regulations – by doing so you will help to ensure everyone enjoys their time at Tuke House. A breach of the regulations is automatically a breach of the Accommodation Agreement, and serious or persistent breach could lead to termination of the agreement. The Institution’s Regulations & Students Charter are available from your Institution’s website. Some of the most important regulations are summarised here, with some extra useful information on the topics covered, however you should read your regulations and Accommodation Agreement in full. Communal living and noise nuisance Tuke House is an area of communal living, and it is essential that each person shows consideration towards student neighbours and the local community, as well as all the staff who are here to support you. This is the foundation upon which a happy and successful year is

built. Residents are expected to be particularly quiet after 23.00, although excessive noise at any time is never acceptable, and there are strict conditions about noise nuisance in your Accommodation Agreement and in the Institution’s Regulations Applicable to Residences. Please do not bring high powered sound equipment that is likely to cause an unnecessary nuisance into Tuke House, eg amplifiers. The local community is aware that Peace of Mind Security is employed by Accommodation Services to regulate student behaviour at Tuke House and will contact them where excessive noise occurs. The reports from Peace of Mind Security are used when investigating issues of noise nuisance. The Accommodation Services Team will take action on any reported incidents affecting other students, or residents in neighbouring properties. Offences may result in fines of £50 + VAT (plus a management administration cost, which will be charged per person), confiscation of equipment or if necessary, disciplinary action. In the case of repeat offences student’s may be referred to the Institution’s disciplinary procedure. Be a good neighbour Students are generally welcomed by the other residents of Falmouth and Penryn. Falmouth Exeter Plus, SMS, and the Institutions greatly value their reputation in the local community. You are asked to be mindful of the impact of your conduct on your neighbours, both in Tuke House and also the local residents in the community, many of whom are not associated with the Universities. We all have strong links with the local Police and work together to ensure a harmonious environment. Visitors and guests For the first two weeks overnight guests are not allowed, and no consent will be given for guests under 18. No visitors may stay overnight unless agreement has been reached with other residents in the flat. For security and safety reasons permission should be obtained from the Site Supervisor, who reserves the right to refuse non residents’ admission to Tuke House. All visitors must sign in at the site office for the Fire Roll Call on arrival. Guests are your responsibility and you must be on the premises when a visitor stays overnight and the visitor may only sleep in your room, not in the communal areas. Overnight guests/visitors can only stay for a maximum of 3 nights. If you wish for your guest to stay longer, this request must be put in writing to, and is at the discretion of the Site Supervisor. You are responsible for the behaviour of your guests and are responsible for any fines/charges in respect of


any damage caused by your guest. There is a maximum of 10 people permitted in a flat at any time. If you are going to be absent from the site overnight, you need to advise the Site Office and give an indication of the period of time for which you will be absent for security and safety reasons. Damage and misconduct It is only fair that those who damage property, or create a serious nuisance, either through malicious or irresponsible acts, should expect to pay for their misdeeds. Non attributable damage in the communal areas of the flat will be costed and the charge divided equally between all residents of the flat. Serious or persistent damage is not only a disciplinary offence; it may also lead to your residence agreement being terminated. Damage is considered to be any deterioration of the residences which is above normal fair wear and tear, Some damage can be easily identified eg broken items, but others are less obvious, for instance marks in carpets. Charges are made for damage as there is no allowance in the accommodation charges for any damage in the accommodation accidental or otherwise. Damage should be reported immediately to the Site Office, who will arrange for the repair. The costs will be passed to those responsible. Students are responsible for any damage that occurs in their room (unless caused by an insured risk, in which case they may still be liable to pay a contribution towards the cost). Where damage occurs in shared areas of residence, the Site Office will advise the Accommodation Office who will try to ascertain who is responsible so that charges can be made accordingly. If the Accommodation Office is unable to identify the person responsible:

• •

In communal areas of a flat, the cost will be charged equally to all residents of the flat. In communal areas of Tuke House, outside a flat, the cost will be charged equally to all residents who have access to the area.

An invoice will be raised through the Finance Department. Failure to accept responsibility for the damage will not negate the final charge being passed on to the responsible residents. If you disagree with any charge for damage, please in the first instance contact the Site Supervisor to discuss. You also have a right of appeal through the Falmouth Exeter Plus Complaints Procedure, available at www. under the Accommodation Office.

Disciplinary procedures Persistent and severe breaches of residence and institutional regulations will be referred to the Living Support Team (LST) for formal investigation, action or referral. The LST liaises with the Institutions, the Police and other representatives in the community to ensure that behavioural issues are dealt with proactively and to ensure a trouble-free environment for all concerned. Patterns of behaviour are therefore monitored. Any criminal activity will always be referred to the Police. Full details on disciplinary procedures are available in the information folder in each kitchen. Harassment SMS and Falmouth Exeter Plus are concerned that all students regardless of race, colour, sex, religious beliefs, age, disability, sexual orientation, political views or marital status should benefit from the right to enjoy their accommodation peacefully. Incidents of harassment will be dealt with through Falmouth Exeter Plus, and where necessary the Institution’s disciplinary procedure. Storage of dangerous and flammable materials It is forbidden to store petrol, kerosene, turpentine, white spirit or other dangerous materials in Tuke House. If such items are discovered they will be confiscated.

Illegal substances, illegal acts and fire arms You are NOT permitted to:

• • •

Use, grow, supply or in any other way possess illegal substances within Tuke House. Use your room or knowingly allow your room to be used for committing any illegal act. Be in possession of any weapon, (eg: firearm, air rifle, cross-bow etc) or martial art aid including replicas.

Remember these issues can constitute an illegal act and may result in criminal proceedings. Drugs The illegal use and supply of drugs on the premises will result in disciplinary action, and Police involvement. Illegal use and supply of drugs in the locality which comes to our attention (eg a student arrested in possession of illegal drugs in the town) will also result in disciplinary action. There is health information available through Student Support Services regarding drugs and drug abuse. If you have a problem or are concerned about drugs, you should seek advice from your GP. Although many people are tempted to experiment with drugs, you should remember that even a one-off incident could result in serious harm to health and could irreparably damage your future.

Leaving Tuke House Leaving Tuke House before the end of the Accommodation Agreement Contractually you are legally bound to pay the accommodation charges for the full period as stated on acceptance of your Accommodation Agreement. If you decide to leave the accommodation before your agreement expires, you will remain liable for the charges until a suitable replacement student (one who is not already in Falmouth Exeter Plus accommodation, and who has not previously been expelled from Falmouth Exeter Plus accommodation) takes over the remainder of your Accommodation Agreement. The Accommodation Agreement is for accommodation at Tuke House for the period stated in your accommodation offer, not for a specific room. Falmouth Exeter Plus has discretion to refund charges only in exceptional circumstances – check the Residence Regulations for details.


Please make an appointment to discuss your circumstances with a member of the Accommodation Office so you are fully aware of the implications. You must follow the procedure in this handbook if you want to leave early – otherwise you could find that you miss the opportunity for someone on the waiting list to take your place, and then you will continue to be liable for accommodation charges. Early termination procedure You will be expected to remain at Tuke House for the full period as stated in your Accommodation Agreement which sets out the terms on which students may terminate their agreement early. Regulations applicable to Residences also apply to early terminations. You would need to make a formal application to vacate the accommodation – using a “Request to Vacate” form available from the Accommodation Office.

Please contact a member of the Accommodation Office to discuss your request to leave, you will be given advice on your options, on what information you may need to supply before a request is considered formally and if you meet the criteria outlined in the Regulations. The Accommodation Office Manager will notify the student in writing whether the application is accepted or rejected and correspondence will be sent to the student’s term-time address. Withdrawing or interruption of studies If you want to leave the accommodation early because you are wishing to withdraw from your institution or interrupt your studies, you will need to complete:

• •

‘Withdrawal/ Intermitting’ form, from your Course Leader. ‘Request to Vacate form’ from the Accommodation Office.

You should contact the Accommodation Office to inform them of your expected date of departure, to ensure that they have received the relevant paperwork and to arrange for a room inspection on your departure. Once you have cleared the room of your belongings please ensure your keys are returned to the Site Office at Tuke House. You will be charged for a replacement if the keys are not returned, and you may be liable for the rent until that time. Fitness to Study The Fitness to Study procedure is intended to be used as an alternative procedure when there is sufficient concern over a student’s behaviour. Any decisions made on a student’s fitness to study will be made through a collective process of consideration of the ability to study, learn, graduate and live amongst the student community. Academic and support staff may initiate use of the procedure if concern for the student is sufficient.

Complaints/appeals procedure The Accommodation Office values the opinion of students living at Tuke House as it helps us plan and develop the service available. The complaints procedure is available at accommodation/ End of Accommodation Agreement and return of keys Your Residence Contract covers the Christmas and Easter period, there is no need to clear your room until the end of your Residence Contract. You will be required by the Site Supervisor to check out on the days outlined below:

• •

UCF Foundation – Saturday 8 June 2013 Cornwall College Foundation - Saturday 29 June 2013 • Cornwall College (Higher Education) - Saturday 22 June 2013. You will be expected to clear & vacate your room by 10.00am on this day. Please return your keys to the Site Supervisor and arrange a final room inspection. Storage facilities are not available after the end of your Accommodation Agreement period. Information about local storage companies able to store items for the vacation periods are available on request to the Accommodation Office. It is your responsibility to ensure that your room is left in a clean and tidy condition including the removal of all rubbish at the end of the tenancy. SMS will pass on to you the costs of removing any rubbish or carrying out extra cleaning if you have not left your room in the agreed condition. Your room should be cleared of all personal belongings. SMS may dispose of any personal belongings left in rooms at the end of term if it reasonably considers that the items have no discernible value, and it may pass on to the student any costs properly and reasonably incurred in the removal and disposal.

Finance and accommodation charges Accommodation charges The cost of the accommodation is £109.13 per week. Accommodation fees must be paid to the Finance Office. The charges are levied on an annual basis; they can be paid in full on arrival or paid termly, on the dates stated in the Accommodation Offer.

Tel: 01326 253607 Fax 01326 253623 Open 9am – 2pm Mon – Fri (3pm Wed).

Finance Office All payments should be made to: Finance Office, Tremough Campus, Penryn Cornwall, TR10 9EZ

Payments for the deposit and accommodation fees should be made online at https://paymentportal.falmouth. or cheques payable to Falmouth Exeter Plus, with the student number and name written on the back of the cheque.


Woodlane Finance Office is also able to take rent payment. This is located in Rosehill Building on Woodlane Campus, contact number 01326 213778.

Email for queries regarding accommodation charges: PLEASE DO NOT SEND PERSONAL BANK/ CREDIT CARD DETAILS BY EMAIL. Payment dates Also called the due date – the accommodation charges are levied on an annual basis, but may be paid termly. The termly payment deadlines for the 2012/13 academic year are: Term 1 Payment due 3 September 2012 UCF & Cornwall College Foundation contract Payment due 17 September 2012 Cornwall College (HE) contract Term 2

Payment due 7 January 2013 Cornwall College Contracts (both) Payment due 14 Januray 2013 UCF Foundation

Term 3 Payment due 15 April 2013 (all)

The accommodation offer shows the payments you are due to pay, and the date the payments are due. Please also refer to the Contract Information available on our website throughout the year (www.tremoughservices. com/accommodation) Problems paying your rent Students are aware in advance of the cost of their accommodation, and the dates that payments are due. Students will not be able to break the Accommodation Agreement on the grounds that they have insufficient funds available to them. The accommodation charges are a priority debt. Any student with financial difficulties should contact Finance or Accommodation Office immediately as there is help and advice available on campus. For example there are limited funds available to help students who are resident in the UK and who are in financial difficulties. Please contact the fxu Advice Service (part of the Student Union – see contact details on page 18) to arrange an appointment; they are able to provide you with assistance in making an application. Please note there is no guarantee of receiving funding.


For other useful information on finance please check out the following websites:

• • •

Debt procedures If a student fails to pay the rent by the dates as set out in the Accommodation Offer the procedure outlined in ‘Accommodation Fees, deadlines and debt procedures’ document will be followed. This forms part of your Accommodation Agreement. It is important that students keep the Finance Office informed of any problems or delays in paying items by the due date. This way you will be able to access help and advice before a significant problem occurs. You can also contact the fxu Advice Service (see page 18) who will be able to help you with financial advice. Falmouth Exeter Plus and the Finance Office will take action against students for any non-payment of accommodation charges (all debts are pursued). A range of actions can be taken, including contacting your sponsors or guarantors. If a county court judgement is made against you for debt, this can affect some career options and it will almost certainly affect your ability to get credit cards, mobile phone contracts or a mortgage.

Damage deposit The deposit will be held until the end of the Accommodation Agreement. Any charges for damages/ replacements will be itemised after your final room inspection. Non attributable damage in the communal areas of the flat will be costed and the charge divided equally between all residents of the flat and if necessary deducted from your deposit. See Damage & Misconduct section on page 14. The deposit will also to be used to offset any unpaid accommodation charges.

The Site Supervisor, SMS, Henry Scott Tuke House, Quarry Hill, Falmouth, TR11 2EA.

Finance will return the deposit balances in pounds sterling (GBP) no later than 28 days after the end of the agreement by cheque to the student’s home address. Any student who objects to a deduction due to damage should in the first instance write to:

Other services on campus Student Support Services Include: The Living Support Team, Counselling, Accessibility Service and Chaplaincy. The team are available to ensure you have all the information, advice and support you need to make the most of your time as a student. The friendly, confidential services provide a range of specialist help and also offer general information and signposting to other sources of support. Contact at them at Kathmor, Woodlane on 01326 213735 and The Annex, Tremough on 01326 370460. Accessibility Service The Accessibility Service provides confidential advice, advocacy and support for students at Woodlane and Tremough, supporting and advising students with physical, sensory, mental health and learning difficulties. The service can also give you advice and support in claiming Disabled Students Allowance. For further information and appointments please call the Student Support Services Team on: 01326 370460/213735. Counselling Service Offers confidential sessions with our qualified and experienced counsellors. They can help you resolve specific problems, make decisions, and help with difficulties such as stress, relationships, depression and other issues which may affect emotional or mental health. There are short drop-in sessions available every day, or you can book an appointment.


fxu Fxu is the Students’ Union for University College Falmouth and University of Exeter students studying at their Cornwall Campus. Fxu co-ordinates and manages all the sports clubs and societies; student volunteering opportunities through Community Action; and many of the numerous social, charity and RAG events, entertainments and activities throughout the year including ‘Freshers’ Fortnight’ and the end-of-term balls. Aside from all the fun stuff fxu runs an Advice Service, represents students’ interests within the Institutions and promotes welfare issues. There are fxu offices at each Campus – in the Library building at Woodlane and the Annex building at Tremough. You can drop in or phone the offices on 01326 213742 (Woodlane) or 01326 370447 (Tremough) with any enquiries or check out the website for more info.

Complaints procedure SMS and the Accommodation Office hope that during your stay in Tuke House, you will be happy with the service that you receive from both SMS and the Accommodation Team. SMS Complaints Procedure Remember if you have a problem relating to the building or maintenance you must in the first case report the issue to Site Supervisor at the Tuke House Site Office. However, should you feel that the service has not met with your expectations and you wish to make a complaint, you should contact the Site Supervisor. When you make a complaint we will expect you to go through the following stages. If you miss a stage we will usually expect you to go back and complete it. In very serious cases (for example when you are making a complaint against a member of Sanctuary Housing staff) we will not expect you to go through Stage I. In these cases you can go straight to Stage 2. These are the stages in our complaints procedure. Stage 1 (informal) This is the informal stage where we encourage you to talk to staff from your local office. They will look into the problem and try and sort it out with you. If this does not work, then you can move on to Stage 2. Stage 2 (formal) Your complaint will be investigated by the Site Supervisor. You will receive a written response to your complaint within 10 working days of us receiving it. Occasionally, your complaint might be about something very complicated and we will not be able to complete our investigation within 10 working days. If this happens, we will always keep you informed. If you are not happy with the response you get from the Site Supervisor, you can move on to Stage 3.

Stage 3 Your complaint will be investigated by the Facilities Services Manager. The Facilities Services Manager will carry out a full investigation and you will receive a written response once the investigation is complete. Normally this will be in 10 days of your complaint being made to the Facilities Services Manager, however if this is not possible we will keep you informed. If you are not happy with the decision you can move on to Stage 4. Stage 4 This is the final stage in the complaints procedure and involves your complaint being referred to the SMS Director / Board, set up to oversee the management of the accommodation. The SMS Director / Board will not normally look into your complaint until you have gone through all the earlier stages in the procedure. The decision of the Board is final. The Facilities Services Manager will explain to you how to contact the Board if you are not satisfied with the decision at Stage 3. Accommodation Office complaints procedure If you have a query regarding the Accommodation Agreement for example you may be unhappy with the people you are living with, or about noise complaint, fines, and moving rooms, please contact the Accommodation Office. We value your opinions as they will help us plan for the future and continually develop our services. Our full complaints procedure is available in the information folders in every flat and from the Site Office and on our website at

Frequently asked questions Should I bring all kitchen items with me? No, not necessarily – it is usually a good idea to bring what you need for the first few days – basic crockery and a saucepan. Have a chat with your flat mates – there is no point duplicating items if people are willing to share – so work out what you need as a flat. But please, always ask before you borrow a piece of equipment. Shops There are a large range of shops available in Falmouth, however most of them will not be open, or may close earlier, on a Sunday. There is a small supermarket within


5 minutes walk and a catalogue shop within one minute. Four miles outside of Falmouth is a large supermarket which does sell all the essential items. There are several takeaways within walking distance of Tuke. Please note Tuke House does not have a shop. How many people will I be living with? The majority of you will be sharing the flat with another four students. However if you are allocated a room in one of our two adapted flats you will be sharing with two others.

Do I have to vacate the room during the vacation periods? No, all Accommodation Agreements at Tuke House cover the Christmas and Easter vacation. Can I change the dates on the Accommodation Agreement? No, therefore if you have any queries in relation to the dates on the Accommodation Agreement please contact the Accommodation Office team prior to accepting the Accommodation Agreement to discuss any queries you might have. Where do I collect the keys? Students arriving on set days and times outlined on page 4 will need to pick up keys from the Site Office at Tuke House. The Site Office is closed after 4pm on move in days – please ensure you leave enough time for your journey. How and when do we pay for accommodation? Accommodation charges are due on the first day of every term. Please see page 17 for full information. A member of the Finance team will be available on move in days to assist with queries and take payment of both fees and accommodation charges. If I bring my own television do I need to purchase a licence? Yes, if you decide to bring your own television for your room you will need to purchase an individual licence and provide us with a copy. Can I bring my car with me? There are only 9 spaces – please see page 6 for further information. Can I smoke in the residences? No, there is a strict no smoking policy at Tuke House. Is there a phone in the room? Telephones and data points are provided at Tuke House. On arrival you will be able to purchase a phone card from the Site Office to make external calls. Many of the local shops sell them too. Would I be able to move to another room? We do not allow students to move rooms in the first two weeks. After that the decision will be at the discretion of the Accommodation Manager. A £40 administration fee is applied. Can I stay at Tuke once the Accommodation Agreement has ended? Accommodation may be available to rent if you are


required to stay on. You will be given further information regarding this at the beginning of the summer term. Is there any part-time work available? There are a number of opportunities for part-time work in Falmouth. On campus, many of the student services and facilities, such as the bar, will employ students. The Careers Service will have details 01326 253735 How do I find out what’s happening on campus before I arrive? Contact fxu (students’ union) on - 01326 253742 or check out their website at How do I contact other students before I arrive? The student chat forum is available at Some helpful hints on living together University is the perfect time to meet new people, but living together means that the odd disagreement is bound to occur – these are often caused by small things like:

• • • • •

Washing up Noise Disappearing food Visitors outstaying their welcome A clash of personalities

Remember it is better to deal with a problem before it escalates – many problems are easily resolved – here are a few tips:

• • • •

Talk to your flat mates – they may be unaware that you are upset. Establish what the problem is – you may be arguing about different things. Try to talk to them about their behaviour rather than their personality. Discuss possible solutions and agree on an outcome.

Some helpful hints for when you arrive DO

go and knock on your neighbours’ door and introduce yourself.

DON’T annoy your flat mates or neighbours on the first night, or at all if possible!


make sure you have a supply of food and drink for socialising.

DON’T just sit in your room on your own.


remember if you are not sure about anything – just ask!

DON’T forget to keep in contact with your friends and family.

Appendix one Use of oven – do not attempt any self maintenance or repair. Oven Top – saucepans – only use good quality sauce pans with flat base and close fitting lids. Traditional round bottomed woks must not be used even with a stand. Flat bottom woks may be used. Please note: these are domestic ovens and are only safe and suitable for the cooking and heating of foodstuffs. Do not use your ovens for firing modelling clay or other artistic materials, as this poses a serious health and safety risk to you and others in your flat. If you do so, you will be charged for the cost of replacing the oven and any administration or services charges involved with this. Deep Fat Frying – for safety purposes when deep fat frying, fill the pan one-third full of oil, do not cover the pan with a lid and do not leave the pan unattended. In the unfortunate event of a fire switch off the oven at the mains and use the fire blanket provided to smother the fire. Leave the pan for at least 30 minutes before moving it. This will allow it to cool. Do not use water to put out the fire. Grill Grill Pan – the Grill Pan is supplied with a removable handle. To insert the handle, press the bottom of the handle with the thumb and pivot the handle slightly upwards and towards the right to remove from the bracket. Ensure that your hand is protected when removing the grill pan handle as the grill element can become very hot. Always remove the grill pan handle during grilling. Make sure the grill pan is clean and free from accumulated fat, which can cause a fire. Alternatively, place tin foil over the grill pan while cooking to catch any fat and throw foil away after use. Always clean the grill and oven after each use; it is your responsibility to keep it clean and in good condition. One of the main causes of false activation of the fire


alarm is in the communal areas, This is due to not cleaning the grill and oven. Oven use

• • •

Turn the oven on, and turn the oven control to the required temperature. The oven indicator neon light will glow until the oven has reached the required temperature and then go out. It will continue to cycle On and Off periodically during the cooking, showing that the temperature is being maintained.

Do not line any part of the oven with any foil as damage may be caused. Do not dry tea towels or any other material on the oven door or grill. Always clean the oven top after each use with non-abrasive cleaning chemicals. Oven cleaning Oven cavity

• • • • •

Use a propriety brand product and use to manufacturers instructions. Clean the oven as regularly as required. Remove all food and burnt deposits. Wipe clean before use to remove any chemical deposits. Oven cleaning should be completed monthly.

Use of fridge and freezer The product has been designed for use in your complex and must be used in accordance to manufacturers instructions. Any mis-use may result in damage.

• • •

Do not overload any compartment. Do not use sharp instruments to scrape off ice or frost. Do not store any non food products within any compartment.

• • •

Do not cover air vents located at the back of the unit; it is required that you do not put Items on the top of the units. Do not attempt any self maintenance or repair. Do not place fizzy drinks in the freezer compartment as this may cause damage to the appliance.

Temperature control (fridge) The interior temperature of the refrigerator is automatically controlled by the thermostat. The control dial, located in the table top of the unit, enables the desired degree of cooling to be selected.

• • •

Setting 6 is the coolest setting. The black dot is “switched off”. Setting 3 will normally be an adequate setting.

Defrosting (fridge) The refrigerator is fitted with an automatic defrost. There is a drain hole located at the rear of the interior; this must not be blocked. Temperature control (freezer) This unit is fitted with an automatic thermostat which should keep the compartment at –18°C or colder. It may be necessary to adjust the temperature control slightly subject to the outside air temperature, this can be done through adjusting the thermostatic dial inside the unit.

Defrosting (freezer) Complete defrosting will be required in time to keep the unit operating correctly; this should be carried out if the frost build up cannot be scraped away, or if it begins to interfere with food storage. Remove all food.

• • •

Switch off unit at the main and leave door open. Water will leak from the compartment onto the floor, please ensure that the drain spout is pointed forward and there is a receptacle to collect it. Mop up any other water on the floor. Defrosting can be assisted by placing a bowl of hot, not boiling, water, into the compartment.

Cleaning It is your responsibility to keep the unit in a clean and well maintained condition. Clean the inside and accessories with warm water and, bicarbonate of soda (5ml to 0.5 litres of water). Rinse and dry thoroughly. Never use detergents, abrasive powders, highly perfumed cleaning products, or wax polishes to clean the interior as these will damage the surface and leave a strong odour. Worktops • Clean down worktops after each use. • Only use a neutral detergent and sanitise with food grade antiseptic for kitchens.

Appendix two Refuse disposal Remove your refuse from your flat and place inside the wheelie bins in the storage areas ensuring that bin lids are closed. • Do not put sharp objects directly in the refuse sacks or bins. Dispose of correctly by wrapping in several sheets of paper. • Break down or flatten any cardboard boxes and waste before placing in the rubbish sack or wheelie bin. • Seal your bin bag before placing in the wheelie bin to avoid attracting vermin such as seagulls. • Do not place bin bags on the ground outside the store or in it. Place all refuse in the wheelie bin. • Do not throw food or other refuse from windows as this is potentially dangerous, unsightly and attracts vermin.


Electricity swipe meter operating instructions Your flat is fitted with an electricity credit meter which is positioned in the kitchen area. To maintain a constant supply of electricity the meter must remain in credit at all times. The rate of consumption will depend strictly on the usage which the occupants make. Leaving the heating on full and leaving the immersion heater on full, particularly on peak consumption times will use your credit quickly. For further information see page 9. To recharge your meter, purchase a new card token. SMS staff will then recharge your electric meter and post weekly meter readings for your information. Operation of door entry system The door entry is provided for security for you and your belongings. However; the systems require vigilance and care by you. There are two forms of access:

• •

Keyfob system allowing access to flat main entrance. Entry phone system that allows residents to identify the caller prior to permitting access into the block.

Intercom operation – persons requesting access into the accommodation blocks will be required to use the door intercom units.

• • • •

Press the button indicating the required floor and wait for an answer. Internally a person should lift the hand set when required and talk clearly into the handset. Once satisfied the caller is known, press the door release button on the unit and the door will electronically unlock itself allowing the person entry. The system resets itself once the handset is replaced.

Safety Requirements – never allow unknown persons entry. Never remove the cover of the battery back-up unit without isolating it first. Never tamper with the equipment; it is installed for the security of the residents. Operation of fire alarm system In the event of a fire, the automatic detection will activate the fire alarm and alert the Site Supervisor. In the event of an emergency follow the guidelines issued by SMS. To operate the fire alarm system manually, smash break glass located in the common corridors. Safety requirements – never remove any detectors or sounders from the bases. Never remove the cover of the fire alarm panel without isolating it first. Never tamper with the equipment. It is installed for the safety of the residents. General electrical accessories To operate the kitchen fan a Iow level double pole switch needs to be switched manually for the fan to operate. The fan does not have a run on timer and will stop working when the switch is turned off.


Shower To operate the shower:

• • • • • •

Turn main isolator switch on. This is the ceiling mounted pull switch located in the bathroom. Turn the water flow tap until the desired water pressure is obtained. To select the most comfortable temperature for washing, turn the temperature setting dial on the shower until the desired temperature is reached. Upon completion of the shower, turn the water flow tap off. Turn the main isolator switch off.

Water heater These instructions apply to both the bathroom and kitchen water heaters.

• • •

Heater switch in bedroom Turn on tap. In the bathroom the tap is on the heater, but in the kitchen the tap for hot water is fitted to the sink. Fill sink to desired level for washing and then turn off.

The isolator can isolate the bathroom heaters. It is located on the bedroom wall. The heater can be isolated when not in use. The kitchen water heater isolator is located above the work surface, on the kitchen wait. Socket outlets – within all areas there are a number of socket outlets located for general use. You will be required to pay for the electricity consumption from the socket outlets. The socket outlets in the corridors are the landlord’s cleaning sockets, which are controlled by a key switch held by the cleaners. When the landlord sockets are not in use the switch will be switched off. TV aerial The TV outlet is connected up to a full working system. You need only connect the aerial lead from the TV set to the aerial socket to obtain a picture. In line with the digital switchover, the aerial at Tuke House is digital compatible, please provide your own digibox should you wish to use this service.

Appendix three Operation of Electrical Room Heating Heater Operation – upon occupation of the room you can turn the heating on as below:

Safety Requirements

• • •

Ensure the isolator switch adjacent to the touch switch is turned on. Check the thermostatic control found on the top of the heater is turned up to the required temperature. Press the touch switch once to activate the boost heating which will stay on for half an hour, press again for one hour and three times for 2 hours. If the touch switch is not pressed, then the heater is in frost protection/set back temperature mode, and will only operate if the external and internal temperatures fall Iow enough.

Appendix four

• • •

Never dry clothes by placing them on top of the heater. Never cover the air vents at the top and bottom of the heaters, as this could cause the elements to overheat and burn out. Never remove the cover of the heater or switch. Never insert metal objects inside the heater through the air vents, as this could result in electric shock. Always use the heater in accordance with these instructions.

Once the touch switch is activated, energy will be supplied for a period of approximately one hour, during which time the heater will come on and go off as the room reaches the desired temperature. At the end of that one hour period, the heater will go off and will remain off (in frost protection mode only). If further heating is required, it is necessary to reactivate the touch switch again.

Damage price list: The charges are correct at time of publication but may vary. Misc/Kitchen Bin Blind Carpet clean (minimum charge) Carpet replacement per tile Cooker Minimum replacement charge Cupboard door Dining chair Disposal of cooker Cupboard door top Cupboard door bottom Double glazed unit Drawer front Easy chair Vinyl flooring Freezer door Freezer shelf Fridge door Kitchen clean (minimum charge) Ironing board Kettle Kitchen main door Kitchen plinth Light replacement Microwave Mop and bucket Notice board Over head door closer


£ 20.00 £ 40.00 £ 45.00 £ 12.00 £ 350.00 £ 65.00 £ 50.00 £ 60.00 £ 80.00 £ 60.00 £ 40.00 £ 30.00 £ 120.00 £ 460.00 TBA TBA TBA £ 120.00 £ 20.00 £ 15.00 £ 250.00 £ 40.00 £ 95.00 £ 50.00 £ 25.00 £ 60.00 £ 125.00

Sink unit (stainless steel) Table Taps (each) Toaster Vacuum cleaner Wall (Minimum charge per wall) Window handle Worktop (any length) Bedroom/bathroom Bedroom chair Carpet Shower Door Light fitting Lampshade Mattress Wall (minimum charge per wall) Desktop Lampshade Door handle Toilet seat hinge Renew WC pan – connect to existing services including Multiquick adaptor, Re-fix WC seat, re-new cone joint Re-fix WC seat and cover including renewal of hinge brackets

£ 105.00 £ 260.00 £ 40.00 £ 15.00 £ 120.00 £ 30.00 £ 20.00 £ 135.00 £ 130.00 £ 295.00 £ 135.00 £ 30.00 £ 10.00 £ 80.00 £ 30.00 £ 120.00 £ 7.29 £ 25.00 £ 15.00 £ 145.00 £ 30.00

Renew basin - including brackets, waste pipe, plug and chain, trap, taps & pipe work as required, connection to existing services £ 160.00 Altro flooring in bathroom (extra price to be submitted for removal of bathroom furniture to allow for works to take place) £ 415.00 Carpet stains (to clean) £ 45.00 Over head automatic door closer Renewal with Briton 2000 or similar fixture £ 125.00 Wardrobe door £ 65.00 Cupboard door (top) £ 50.00 Bookcase £ 95.00 Notice board £ 60.00 Bedroom (clean) £ 55.00 Wastepaper bin £ 10.00 Administration & charges for noise nuisance per person: TCS Shelf £ 25.00 Blinds £ 30.00 Shower rail £ 50.00 Refix shower curtain & rail £ 20.00 Water heater £ 100.00 Tap £ 40.00 Towel rail £ 22.00 Draws £ 25.00


Door viewer – supply and fit to door One hour fire resistant door – Renewal including re fixing of over head door closer & re-use of over head door closer Board broken window (within normal working hours, outside normal working hours will be at an additional cost) Make door secure temporary measure Replacement Phone Make windows secure temporary measure Replace damaged double glazed sealed unit Gain entry to flat entrance door and change lock Re-secure storage heater to wall Attend to covered up smoke detector (within normal working hours) Attend to false fire alarm out of hours (minimum) Refix any electrical outlet / lamp holder / appliance / wiring spur point Renew ceramic cistern – connect to existing services All of the above are subject to VAT and an administration charge.

£ 25.00 £ 155.00 £ 40.00 £ 20.00 £ 105.00 £ 20.00 £ 40.00 £ 65.00 £ 20.00 £ 60.00 £ 100.00 £ 40.00 £ 115.00

More information about the Accommodation Services Team The Accommodation Services Team Oliver Lane Accommodation Services Manager Richard Wilkins Private Sector Liaison Officer Robyn Chesterman Accommodation Office Manager Teresa Smith Accommodation Assistant Claire Rolfe Accommodation Assistant We are contactable at: The Accommodation Office Tremough Campus, Treliever Road, Penryn, Cornwall, TR10 9EZ Tel: + 44 (0)1326 253639 Fax: + 44 (0)1326 253649 The accommodation information is available at: The office is open Monday to Friday 09.00 to 17.00. There is a message service available outside the opening hours and when we are busy, calls will be returned as soon as we are able. Please leave a message or email us.

Christian Topf Design (CTD) 01326 315551

Thank you for your patience.

This Information Booklet is available in large print. Please contact the Accommodation Office, 01326 253639 if you require a copy.

UK CODE OF PRACTICE – Falmouth Exeter Plus has signed the Universities UK Code of Practice and is working toward compliance with this code, which promotes best practice over a range of management activities in student residences. The full code can be viewed at

This document is correct at time of publication but may be subject to change.

Tuke House Handbook  

Residents guide to Henry Scott Tuke House