national awards, such as the Press Ganey Compass Award for excellence in patient satisfaction. It is also home to Temple’s highly respected resident physician training program in psychiatry. While most of the campus has been modernized, two landmark structures remain: a chapel designed by John Sloan in the 1850s, and the Tower building, designed by the famed Philadelphia architect Horace Trumbauer in 1933.
Episcopal’s Emergency Department logs nearly 50,000 annual visits and its Crisis Response Center sees more than 11,000 patients.
1945 Episcopal performs the world’s first mitral commissurotomy, a surgery to remove scar tissue from the heart’s mitral valve, attracting international attention.
2006 With more than 9,000 visits, Episcopal’s Crisis Response Center is the busiest in Philadelphia — and one of the busiest on the East Coast. Patient satisfaction scores soar to the 98th percentile.
2009 Episcopal’s nursing school graduates its final class.
2013: ELIZABETH MANNING
1998 Episcopal Hospital becomes part of Temple University Health System. Two years later, restructuring and renovations re-focus Episcopal primarily on behavioral health. The facility is renamed the Temple University Hospital-Episcopal Campus.
WINTER 2014 | TEMPLE HEALTH MAGAZINE |
Winter 2014 Issue of Temple Health Magazine