Page 1


Grapevine Editor: O. R. (OLE) Olson

Officers and Directors of the Association Lyle Spencer, President R. G. Derickson, First Vice Pres. A. T. Humbles, Secretary Dean Phillips, Treasurer

Sam Gracy, Vice Pres. East W. F. Merrigan, Vice Pres. Central Lou Cook, Vice Pres. West Wallace Mazer, Director Ritchie Beighlie, Director

Larry Decelles, Director Howard Hansen, Director Roy Van Etten, Director Slim Pahl, Director


The truck is a 1935 or 1936 Chevrolet. Photograph courtesy Captain Mike Larkin, ORD. A DC-2, number 1376, is being restored by some people in Texas after being shipped back to the United States from Australia. I'll bet some of you who flew this machine have sore arms just looking at it. Who was the champion gear pumper? From what I've heard, it was Toots Caspar probably, but there were some others, no doubt, who could get the gear up in a hurry. Mike has written a poem about the DC-2 which is being restored. Here are the last two stanzas: Then they'll tune up her engines and patch up her wings, Replace glass and old rubber and knock out some "dings", And when they have finished their labors so true, This Glorious Queen will be better than new!

And one of these days in an airshow You'll see her again, as she climbs And though credit must go to a hard Remember she's there 'cause one man

somewhere through the air. workin' team had courage.



We have had several successes since the 1982 convention. Our membership drive (after getting off to a bad start) netted us approximately 250 new members. Our membership is now nearing the 1,000 mark and consists of approximately 75% Regular and 25% Associate. I hope that our many new Associate members will actively recruit members from those pilots who are still working and are age 50 or over. The TWA Retired Pilots Foundation is off to a good start and has received tax exempt status. Roy Van Etten is slowly but surely getting the machinery in place to allow retirees to have a choice in how their "B" plan money is invested. If your name is misspelled or if your listing is somehow incorrect in the TARPA membership directory, please advise Paul McCarty. When you change your address, please advise A. T. Humbles. Remember, to prevent excessive postage costs TARPA TOPICS is mailed at the bulk rate and is never forwarded to a new address. In addition, the Post Office destroys your copy and charges TARPA a fee to notify us that you have moved. Please read your By-Laws and Policy carefully. This is your organization and if you have any recommendations for changes or additions, advise C. D. Strickler for By-Laws changes, or me for Policy changes. That way we can have the changes formulated and placed on the Agenda for the 1983 Convention. According to Lyle Bobzin, the planning for the 1983 Convention is on schedule. More information elsewhere in this issue. Lyle A. Spencer - 1 -

0X5 PIONEERS TO MEET IN SAN DIEGO Captain Jim Lincoln is on the board of governors of the Orange/San Diego wing of the 0X5 Pioneers, which is sponsoring the 1983 National Convention of the organization September 8, 9, and 10th at the Sheraton Harbor Inn on Harbor Island. He says many TARPA members are also OX5 Pioneers. "We know there are still many fine old pilots and mechanics who should be on our membership rolls and to this group we say ...come and join us. We have a great organization which continuously brings honors to its members and always great respect...especially from those who wish they could join us" Jim's address is in your directory. * * * * * * * * * * * "B" PLAN ASSETS HIGHEST IN HISTORY By Roy Van Etten At the end of October, for the first time in the history of the "B" plan, our assets exceeded $500,000,000. As a matter of fact, the actual number was over $545,000,000 - so, if we can keep from losing over $45,000,000 in the last two months of the year, your check for April 1, 1983 (just in time for the convention) will be the largest that you have ever received. Obviously there is no reason to hesitate. Send in those reservations. It will be a party that you wouldn't want to miss. Our restructuring program continues and steady progress, albeit slow, is being made. I attended meetings in New York and Boston with the company and our three money managers in the early part of November and am encouraged by the results. From a monetary standpoint 1983 just could be the best retirement year to date. * * * * * * * * * * *


"COUNCIL 41" MEETS IN BOSTON One hundred and seven people attended the "Council 41" dinner that was held September 19th aboard the JOHN WANAMAKER, an ocean going tug that is tied up in the Fort Point channel of Boston harbor. The tug is now a restaurant, with the two upper decks for regular customers and the boiler room serving as the banquet room. The dinner was for members and friends of the old Boston Council 41, which no longer exists. However, some people still think it does, so every now and then a dinner or outing is planned and well attended. Retirement plaques were presented to Win Burbank, Al Clay and Max Dail. Win's plaque was accepted by Mrs. Burbank. Win will be missed. The honoree of the evening was Harry Mokler. The group honored Harry for his many years of service to his fellow pilots and also Fran Mokler for putting up with it for all this time. Harry and Fran were presented with a suitably engraved silver serving dish and additionally Harry received a check from the group to donate to charity. Harry in turn presented the check to Amy Hinton for her work with VOLUNTEERS FOR THE MENTALLY RETARDED ADULTS. Jerry Burns gave a schedule committee report. Jerry says there will be no increase in Martin time and only a slight increase in Connie time with two 049 crews laying over in Cincinnati. This was a fine gathering of fine people and Jim Ayleward and Art Sessi, who were in charge of planning, deserve: lots of thanks for making the get-together a real enjoyable evening. * * * * * * * * * * * WALTER C. WELKER 1917-1982

Captain Jim Rollison sends word via a clipping that Walt Welker passed away October 23. Walt was a TWA Flight Engineer from 1951 to 1957. Born September 8, 1917, he taught aircraft hydraulics at Oregon Institute of Technology and in Renton, Washington public schools. He worked three years as a flight inspector for Pan American Airways. He was a member of Tillamook, Oregon, Elks Lodge 1437 and of TARPA. Survivors include his wife of forty years, Lee, daughters Karen Blair and Susan, a brother, Ray, and two grand children. Burial was at Portland. Jim Rollison was an honorary pallbearer.

- 3 -

RAPA CONVENTION REPORT By Dave Richwine The ninth annual meeting of the RAPA Board of Directors was held December 1st, 2nd, and 3rd at the KONOVER HOTEL, Miami Beach, Florida. Eighteen retired Pilot Associations were represented. TARPA was represented by Phares McFerren and Dave Richwine. While no formal agenda was presented, a number of areas of interest to all members were covered. They include the following: GROWTH: In its n i n e years of existence, RAPA has grown from fifteen members representing six airlines to more than 5600 members represented by 18 member associations. RECOGNITION: RAPA's President, Jack Pitts, was invited to attend the recent ALPA convention. Jack reported that while nothing startling was done for the retired members, he was afforded the courtesy of meeting with the cognizant committees and discussing our needs and problems with them. They did reaffirm ALPA policy of promoting foundations within the individual airlines. REPORTS: PAA has rejoined RAPA after a two year absence. EAL has withdrawn their membership due to an internal political squabble. Representatives at this meeting expressed their hope and belief that the internal problem among their officers will be resolved shortly, paving the way for REPA to once again join RAPA. BNF representatives gave a very sobering report on what happens to a retirement plan when a company goes bankrupt. They dealt at length on the inadequacies of the Public Benefit Guarantee Corporation upon whom they had depended so much for some protection. Not the least of these are its limited funding and an accelerated actuarial reduction which, in some cases, amounted to as much as 80%. UAL retired pilots are being forced to abandon their Pilot Benefit Fund because the company would not cooperate with payroll deductions which are essential for sound administration. WESTERN AIRLINES recently announced that they were terminating their employee retirement plan. However, they did agree to replace it with another which would result in no loss in benefits, just require less cash funding. Pilots are keeping their fingers crossed until 1984. REPUBLIC "Sitting Ducks" reported success with the IRS in getting their tax exempt status approved. PAA already has theirs as a "Social" organization.

- 4 -

ALPA YEARBOOKS: RAPA advises that the company printing a number of the ALPA (MEC) sponsored year-books is having a serious cash flow problem, has reduced its staff to six employees and do not answer mail or phone calls. A personal visit by RAPA President resulted in a judgment that prospects of ever getting the books or our money back are pretty dim. INSURANCE: Mr. Howard Wincele of Alexander and Alexander, brokers for the RAPA insurance plan, addressed the board and advised that, while the loss rate had been high this first year, enrollments were up and that no increase in rates was anticipated at the moment. He also advised that, for planning purposes, the RAPA insurance is non-coordinating (will not be reduced because you have other policies). He further advised the Medicare hospitalization deductible is expected to go up to about $300.00 after the first of the year. He still asserts that theirs is the only policy in the world that will pay 100% of the Doctors Part B costs (except for the Medicare $75.00 deductible). GUEST SPEAKER: Mr. Russell W. Thoreau, a consulting actuary, gave an excellent presentation on one practical approach to offsetting the effects of inflation on our B plan income. It is based on the principle of using the difference between the plans actual earnings and the actuarial assumption used by the managements which he refers to as "excess earnings". If the companies would use a level cost factor, which some do now, such a plan would require no additional cash outlay on their part, but it would, of course, deny them the use of the difference which they are now enjoying. Mr. Thoreau admits that due to the critical financial condition the industry is in, the timing is poor at the moment but feels that when the time is right, it would be a most practical approach to easing our inflation problem. ACTIONS:1: The Board passed a resolution directing that a letter be written to all Senators and Congressmen; urging that any retiree not receiving an automatic cost of living differential be given a cash tax credit equal to the cost of living adjustment afforded his retired Federal employee counterpart during the tax year. 2. Passed a resolution seeking ALPA's help in insuring that all widows, widowers, and children of all deceased employees receive pass and reduced rate transportation...not just those killed on the job. 3. Requested ALPA to reaffirm its policy of insuring that retired pilots receive no less in the way of pass and re-

- 5 -

duced rate transportation privileges after they retire than they enjoyed while still working. 4. Extended REPA (Retired Eastern Airline Retired Pilots) an invitation to rejoin RAPA. 5. Revised the By-Laws to provide for Associate member organizations who wish to affiliate with RAPA for such purposes as buying the RAPA insurance plan, exchanging information about airline developments, etc. This has no bearing on the individual member organization such as TARPA! ACTIVITIES: In addition to its annual cruise on the USS NORWAY in December, RAPA is sponsoring an Alaskan cruise in June of 1983. It is seven (7) days on the new ship TROPICAL and will cost about $750.00 per person. ELECTION: The following RAPA officers were elected for the next two years: President ....................... Jack Pitts, NAL Vice President Insurance ........ Bill Root, BNF Vice President Transportation.... John Stefanki, UAL Vice President Pensions ......... Dave Richwine, TWA Secretary ....................... Hal Hastings, ARPA Treasurer ....................... John Badger, REPUBLIC

TWA PILOTS FOUNDATION Harry Mokler reports that the TWA Pilots Foundation is rapidly approaching a functional condition. You will soon be receiving a special mailing from TARPA. There will be both a membership application for you to fill out and another application that you are encouraged to turn over to anyone you know who might need assistance, or to anyone who might know of such a person. Foundations for several retiree groups are doing a lot of good work and I am sure that the TWA foundation will also be helpful in getting some people through some difficult times. The American Airlines foundation is just getting started and the foundation is already taking in thirteen thousand dollars a month. * * * * * * * * * * * THE SNAFU EQUATION: The object or bit of information most needed will be the one least available. * * * * * * * * * * * PROFESSOR BLOCK'S MOTTO: Forgive and remember. - 6 -

Rea l n e a t , Bob!


MISSING PERSONS AND SOME RETIREMENT FACTORS By Joe Schiavo Recently I received a call from one of my friends with TWA and they are looking to find some ex-TWAers that they have lost contact with. This has to do with "B" plan units which these men had when they left TWA. Here are the names: J. L. J. L. S. M. H.

W. L. W. G. S. L. F.

Mount Williams Simmons McCreight Price Rigdon Williams

Left TWA

9/6/56 6/15/56 9/30/60 11/24/65 3/31/56 5/16/55 8/22/59

Anyone knowing the whereabouts of any of these persons is urged to have the person contact TWA at Personnel Benefits, P. O. Box 20007, Kansas City, Missouri 64195. Any and all information would be appreciated as to location or disposition of these people. Here are some factors that may be Of value to those who are facing retirement. Our plan booklets give us the factors to figure out what a 50, 75, or 100% joint annuitant will cost when we retire. As I have said many times, we are NOT limited to those percentages. Of course the obvious question has always been "what will a 331/3 % cost me? Now with these new tables a crew member can work it out for himself. These tables ONLY work for a crewmember retiring at age 60. We go to the respective table, page 30, for the "A" plan and page 88 for the "B" plan. We determine the 100% Joint and Survivor factor by finding the wife's age and reading across we get our 100% factor which we will call "F". Now we present the various formulas. 90%


10F 9+F



3F 2+F



5F 4+F



5F 3+2F





2F 1+F







5F 2+3F



4F 3+F 10F 7+3F



1 33 /3=

20F 7+13F


3F 10% 1+2F 10F 3+7F 4F 1+3F


5F 1+4F

= 10F 1+9F

Let's try one where we can check it with the information in our plan booklet. On our "A" Plan chart, page 30, a pilot age 60 with a wife exactly age 55 has a 100% Joint and Survivor factor of 73.30. Using our formula for determining the cost of a 50% J/A, we first change the percentage number to a decimal by moving the decimal point two places left and so we get .7330. 2F 1+F


2 x .7330 1.7330


1.466 = .8459 of 84.59% 1.7330

That agrees exactly with the chart. Not too many pilots retire with their wives celebrating birthdays on the same day, so in the previous example if the wife was somewhere between age 55 and 56, just interpolate. If you wish to be exact, divide the difference in the factor between age 55 and 56 by 365 days, and then multiply the result by the number of days the wife was past her 55th birthday, and add that factor to the age 55 factor. This will make it more than 73.30 and something less than the age 56 factor of 74.23. * * * * * * * * * * * Editor's note: These numbers and/or factors and/or formulae are in no way to be construed as an endorsement or advocacy of a Joint and Survivor option. It is only information presented to enable the crew member to have as much information as possible. to help him make his own retirement options. * * * * * * * * * * *

- 9 -


Age Discrimination Cited

United Pilots, Engineers Win $18 Million Bias Suit CHICAGO—Pilots, co-pilots and flight engineers who protested a United Airlines policy on mandatory retirement at age 60 and brought suit in a U.S. District Court here recently were awarded $18 million in back pay. A spokesman for United Airlines said the company has filed an appeal. A federal jury found that the 112 plaintiffs were forced to retire in violation of the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) and awarded them $9 million in back pay. The jury found that the airline had "willfully" violated the ADEA, and such action automatically doubles the award. Individuals payments range as high as $560,000. Evidence introduced in the seven-week trial revealed that the company had led efforts within the airline industry to enforce the early retirement policy. United allegedly told its employees the rule was mandated by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) while lobbying behind the scenes to win the agency's approval of such a policy. When these efforts failed, United argued that allowing flight engineers to work beyond age 60 would be unsafe. While the FAA requires commercial pilots and co-pilots to retire at 60, it imposes no such restrictions on engineers, who monitor engine instruments and other mechanical and electrical systems. The principal attorney for the plaintiffs, Raymond Fay, offered evidence which demonstrated that engineers who reach age 60 are statistically less likely to be incapacitated than their middle-aged peers. United contended that

retraining pilots to become engineers would be too costly. Attorney Katherine Kaluzny, who represented the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and worked with Fay in the case, said the jury verdict was "terribly important and will have a lasting effect on the court's interpretation of the ADEA." The Chicago verdict marks the third major discrimination battle United has lost in the past two years. Last January, U.S. District Court Judge James B. Morgan ordered the airline to begin reinstating more than 1,800 flight attendants who lost their jobs when they married. Recently, the Supreme Court upheld a federal Circuit Court of Appeals decision in favor of Gerald E. Smallwood, of Burke, Va., an experienced pilot rejected by United. Smallwood was awarded damages which could reach $400,000. He had flown more than ,700 hours before the airline turned down his application the second time. "I feel justice has been served," said former United pilot Lee Higman, 64, of Palo Verdes, Calif., an original plaintiff in the Chicago suit who was awarded $236,000. Another former pilot, Scotty Devine, 54, of Los Altos, Calif., said the verdict "sends a message to the industry, and opens a new era." Still to be decided is whether the former employees will return to work as flight engineers or whether United will "buy out" their jobs by offering them a sum of money equal to what they would have earned had they remained with the airline, Fay said.

– 10 –


Having been asked to write a brief history of the Association's Retirement "B" Plan, I suspect that a faulty memory may produce a rather garbled effort. When I got out of the negotiation of TWA contracts, along with the job of Master Chairman, I turned over all files to Long John Carroll with relief. In the thirties, Dave Behncke, President and founder of ALPA, was busy unionizing the airlines. Transcontinental and Western Air was a late comer. The airline run by pilots did not cotton to unions. I believe the first I remember of a discussion of a pilot p e n s i o n took place in C o l u m b u s O h i o . The c o m p a n y furnished several cots in the rafters of the hangar for this c r e w l a y o v e r p o i n t . D a n n y M e d l e r and I d i s c u s s e d the possibility of getting tied in with the Railroad Retirement Plan. It seemed like a natural since the airlines came under Title II of the Railway Labor Act. A pilot could qualify for $150 to $200 per month when retiring. This idea never jelled. We had rich pilots making up to $10,000 per year. At times they lent Jack Frye money to meet the monthly payroll. We (meaning retirement agitators) did not quit trying. When I was t r a n s f e r r e d to Chicago ( O R D ) , I had access to Behncke. Somehow I was elected ALPA Treasurer. I signed checks and Dave disbursed them. We had many d i s c u s s i o n s . It was mainly the need for a retirement plan from my end. To shorten: Hitler broke loose in Europe. We listened to fire side chats. "America the arsenal of democracy" - - "Our boys shall not shed their blood on foreign soil" - - became campaign rhetoric. After the Japs hit Pearl Harbor Secretary of the Navy Knox got his two ocean navy - one on the bottom and one on the top. America was caught totally unprepared. America rose to the occasion. A large percentage of airline pilots, being military reserve, were called to active duty. I was preparing to report to Fort Riley Kansas when word came that I was a key man in the industry (dispatcher) and the orders were cancelled. That gave me mixed emotions. TWA started a crash pilot training program at the Eagles Nest in New Mexico. The whole industry was geared to the war e f f o r t . Nothing was flown u n l e s s it had g o v e r n m e n t approval. We all began flying a hundred HARD hours per month. TWA started ICD with total disregard to bidding rights as per contract. Crews were assigned to this operation drawing fixed flat salaries. We at home donned Air Corps uniforms and air transport command emblems. Our co-pilots were often times 100 hour - 11 -

military fledglings. the war effort.

At times we flew around the clock to aid

Thus, I thought, this was a golden opportunity to get the pilot retirement plan that I had started on in 1939. I had been writing Congressmen, the President, Chief of Staff Hap Arnold (I flew with him at March) and of course working on Behncke promulgating the idea of a voluntary military reserve for airline pilots. Since we had proved our worth in a war crisis, I thought the idea had merit. Airline pilots (in peace time) would take a month's active duty in the military to stay up on tactics. The airlines could hire at least one twelfth more crews. Less need for a huge regular military force, thus saving the taxpayer etc. This did not get off the ground either, even if I still think it worthwhile. Near the end of the war, I moved to Burbank. There still was no pension in the works. After we finally WON the war, there was much negotiating to do. We had to get ICD merged with domestic - bidding rights, increment pay and what not. The issue for rates of pay, rules and working conditions on the larger, faster and more productive airplanes had never been settled. It was a no no in wartime. As a member of the TWA System Board of Adjustment, we were hopelessly deadlocked on a massive bale of issues. ALPA had not renewed contracts in years. All of these problems led to yet another TWA first - a pilot's strike. Dave Behncke, bless him, our old quarterback was either calling the wrong signals or no signals at all. He was replaced by a brilliant co-pilot from Braniff, Clarence N. Sayen. Things started to roll again. I naturally started on Sayen for a pilot retirement plan. He was not o p p o s e d . He a p p o i n t e d a " P r e s i d e n t i a l A d v i s o r y Retirement Committee" and put me on it for reasons of his own. Sayen favored an annuity i n s u r a n c e type of plan and just happened to know a reliable company that could handle it. Some a i r l i n e s already had such p r o g r a m s that were reserved to nonunion employees. I do not recall when we latched onto the "A" plan (which was company sponsored for all employees), but a plan that incorporated a trust fund invested in common stocks had more allure to the Advisory Committee. It was designed to follow the cost of living (but not quite so far behind). With blackboard and pointer I explained the plan to the ALPA convention. After all the questions were answered or evaded I a s k e d , " a r e t h e r e any d e l e g a t e s o p p o s e d to a dole free retirement?" No hands were raised and the "B" plan became ALPA policy. At long last we could go to the bargaining table holding something with teeth. I say we, meaning all the many other pilots that were in this mutual struggle for y e a r s . Mr. Dave Harris (B.C. before Crombie) was chief spokesman for TWA. 1954 was a good year for contract renewing. The industry

- 12 -

had flourished during the war and for years after with no added cost in labor contracts. The jets were coming. ALPA had several negotiations going at the same time. Mr. Harris (as we got into it) said that one day someone would have to sit down and figure out what a pilot was worth. I advised him that we were there just for that answer. After some weeks and months there were signs of progress. Mr. Harris wanted to exclude executive pilots from any ALPA retirement plan. I read our contract to him; it clearly stated - all pilots in the employ of TWA were represented by ALPA. His out, I suggested, would be to remove the executive pilots from the seniority list and let them be just plain executives. He became emotional. I did so want to crank in some past service credits for senior pilots. It would be a low cost item and a one shot deal. Oddly enough the objection came from our co-pilots. Having previously gotten the co-pilot a full vote in ALPA - and in our contracts, increment pay, bidding rights, trip expenses, etc., it was hard for me to be patient with this stand. They did not want those senior pilots dipping into their pockets. They did like the gains made for co-pilots but "What have you got for me lately" was the order of things. Irony? I do believe that Paul Fredrickson (chief pilot) did much to aid in getting our plan agreed to. We signed up. The company took us out to wine and dine. The details of this plan were left to sharper minds than I could boast of. And now at this late date, we find that the old fly boys were left swinging in the breeze. There is a real need to aid them in their last few years. Surely TWA management can find a few extra dollars to correct this oversight. I can't imagine anything more humiliating, when signing up for food stamps, than to list "occupation" - retired TWA pilot. ***

EDITOR'S NOTE: During his years as an active crew member, Capt. Kuhn provided his contemporaries with tongue in cheek essays on certain aspects of the life of an airline pilot. In coming issues we hope to reprint such classics as "Over The Rockies With The U.S. Mail", "Seniority Sex and Salary", etc. This will give us all an opportunity to enjoy once again the wit, wisdom and humanity of Dave Kuhn. ***

- 13 -


Last month's centerfold picture had some missing I.D.s. Bill Merrigan identified some for us. At the head table, Jim Feeney (Industrial Relations) between Sayen and Harlan. At the back table on Bradford's left is Bill Kelly (TWA Payroll); then after Overman, in order, Terry Rager (DTW F/0), Tom Wilkinson (BOS F/0), Buddy Glover (MKC F/0), Bart Andregg, who was on the Negotiating Committee. Middle table next to Austin: Dick Ruble. Front table at Carroll's left is Paul Dougherty, on Downing's right is Jim Morgan (MDW F/0). Just behind Kampsen is Bob Adickes and to Kampsen's right is Jack Christie (ALPA). Bill adds that it was fun to reminisce about things that happened twenty five years ago! * * * * * * * * * * *

- 14 -

Quiet Birdmen * Kansas City Hanger * 1939

- 16 -

If anyone can supply the missing names, please send them along to Editor Al Clay.

Back row: Pete Redpath, Alton Parker, Kemper Jacks, Otis Bryan, Larry Fritz, (N.I.), Harlan Hull, (N.I.), John "Tex" LaGrone, Dan Medler, (N.I.), (N,I,)

Front row: (N.I) Chris Carper, Leonard Hylton, Dr. Wade Hampton Miller, Paul Richter, Homer Bredouw, Ray Sparks, Jack Zimmerman, Charlie Toth.

Some are not identified in this 1939 photo of Kansas City QB's, but several TWA youngsters are among them. We thought you might find it interesting.



On September 24th, eight TARPA members and their wives and two of our Honorary Members joined 26 other TWA Seniors in Lum Edward's "Down Under" tour of Australia and New Zealand. The TARPA group included Tour Director LUM EDWARDS with his charming wife BETTY, BOB and ELLA LARSON, TEX and MARGARET MANNING, CECIL and MARY ROSE MORRIS, DEAN and BARBARA PHILLIPS, DAVE AND VI RICHWINE, BILL and ALVA TOWNSEND, BEN and DIDI YOUNG and Honorary Members MARGARET THRUSH and BENNIE LOU CHAKERIAN. According to our "Master Photographer and Statistician", Bill Townsend, the trip involved approximately 31 air hours, 2,500 bus miles, eight hours of water travel and a total of approximately 19,000 statute miles (25,000 if you happen to live in Florida), and involved 14 layover points. It included a week in Sydney, Australia, with the balance of time being spent on both the North and South Islands of New Zealand. Calling on his earlier experiences there, Lum put together a custom made tour involving just about all of the scenic highlights to be seen. They included, of course, the whole range of the "Southern Alps", which are replete with glaciers, glacial lakes and streams, fjords, and the beautiful rolling low country devoted to sheep, cattle and other agricultural pursuits. The Sydney visit included several bus tours covering not only the city but also its beaches, zoo, and Old Sydney Town. Included also was a full half day tour of Beautiful Sydney Harbor and a full day in the Hawkesbury River country. Other highlights of Sydney were the "Rocks" area and the magnificent Sydney Opera House. Dining and shopping were good there, too, the latter including an education on, and opportunity to buy, opals in the opal capital of the world. LUM AND BETTY EDWARDS are presented a token of appreciation from the tour group by TARPA member Dave Richwine at dinner,


the on

farewell the


evening in New Zealand.

- 17 -

The New Zealand portion included CHRISTCHURCH, the Garden City of New Zealand, which is also the base for the U. S. Navy Little America operation; MOUNT COOK, Tasman Glacier, Dunedin, Te Anau, MILFORD SOUND, QUEENSTOWN, ARROWTOWN, FRANZ JOSEF, BULLER GORGE, LAKE TAUPO, TONGARIRO NATIONAL PARK, ROTORUA, the largest geothermal power area in the world, and the Waitomo Glowworm Grotto. The venture also included a 3 1/2 hour ride in an ocean going ferry from Picton on the South Island across Queen Charlotte Sound and Cook Strait to New Zealand's capital city of Wellington. On the North Island, our route took us northward to Auckland, which was the terminating point of the tour. Other highlights of the trip included ski plane trips landing on Tasman Glacier, a helicopter trip down into the floor of the Franz Josef glacier, and a seaplane trip around the beautiful ROTORUA area, including a close look at an extinct volcano crater. Night time activities in Rotorua included a dinner at a unique mountain top restaurant, THE AORINGI, from which one had a breath-taking view of the city at night and an evening with a tribe of the MAORIS, who indoctrinated the group into some of their tribal customs and lore, and provided an excellent dinner and some outstanding native entertainment. Some of the more enterprising members of the tour were able to promote some golf and fishing along the way. While Bob Larson (our senior angler and historian) furnished the advice, Dean Phillips and Les Chatham caught the fish we garnered. This was no small accomplishment, since New Zealand laws forbid fishing with bait, use of lead lines or weights and restrict you to artificial lures with a single hook, giving the soft mouthed rainbows and brown trout a king sized advantage. Dean and Les were good enough to share their few keepers with some of the rest of us. The golfers had great fun and even escaped frostbite during their one outing. Shutterbugs were everywhere! The weather for this early spring adventure was most cooperative. In Sydney the temperature ranged from the 40's one bleak, wet and windy morning, to 800 on another beautiful balmy day. In New Zealand the temperature range was from the high forties to mid seventies. All in all, nice pleasant sweater and jacket weather, with only a few days of intermittent rain. Among some of the more lasting impressions of New Zealand are the scenic beauty of its vast rolling sheep and agricultural land, the infinite variety of the flowers and flowering shrubs in full bloom, contrasting with the snow capped mountains in the distance, its temperate climate, and wonderful friendly people. For some of us, at least, it was an unforgettable experience. * * * * * * * * * * * Pictures of the TARPA members of the tour are on the following page. * * * * * * * * * * *

- 18 -

TARPA Members of the "Down Under" Tour Group

Honorary Members Margaret Thrush and Bennie Lou Chakerian

- 19 -


President Lyle Spencer reminds us that the cut-off date for submitting nominations for the TARPA AWARD OF MERIT is March 1, 1983. Please also be reminded that the criteria for this award was established at the 1980 convention and is contained in the policy section of your latest TARPA Membership Directory. Among other things, policy requires that all nominations be accompanied by written substantiation of the nominee's specific "Contributions to commercial aviation". Please send all nominations to the Chairman of our Awards Committee: Captain Ed Betts 960 Los Lomas Pacific Palisades, CA. 90272 * * * * * * * *


Page 20





As we were about to print this issue of TARPA TOPICS, the WALL STREET JOURNAL carried an article about the financial problems of THE DUNES in Las Vegas, and the sale of the property scheduled for February 15, 1983. It was decided to hold up publication until Lyle Bobzin could see what effect the sale of the property might have on our convention plans. During the next week Lyle spent many hours checking out the possibilities. He considered changing the convention hotel and entered negotiations with another hotel. He also had considerable conversation with the president of THE DUNES. According to the press, THE DUNES has now received four million dollars from the people who are going to buy it. The money is to be used to keep the hotel operating until the sale can be completed. Mr. Duckworth, the president of THE DUNES, has assured Lyle that the sale will have no effect on TARPA's arrangement with the hotel, and the hotel will honor its agreement with TARPA. A letter from Mr. Gerry Conte, DUNES Vice President marketing, has been sent to Lyle confirming this. Under the circumstances, it was decided that the convention site would remain THE DUNES. Lyle has worked long and hard on this and I am sure that his work is appreciated by all of us.

The Editor

1983 CONVENTION NEWS The October issue of TARPA TOPIC contained a tentative schedule of activities and other information on the 1983 TARPA convention.. However, for the benefit of our new members and those others who May have missed it, we are repeating it here with some update material. WHEN:

May 10th, 11th and 12th.




Room rate is $43.00 per day, single or double. This rate applies for three days before and three days after the convention, and we have been guaranteed all tower rooms

RESERVATIONS: A DUNES HOTEL folder, reservation form, and return envelope are enclosed in this issue and an activities questionnaire is on page 23. Please fill out and return both promptly, along with a one night deposit of $43.00 to the Dunes Hotel. No banquet fee is required at this time as it will be charged to your room. Those not staying in the hotel will pay cash. ACTIVITIES:

Golf, tennis, swimming on the hotel property. truck-mounted portable might be interested in

and bridge will be available Lyle Bobzin has prepared a skeet outfit for anyone who shooting.

GOLF: Roy Van Etten returns to handle the golf and has made some changes to smooth out the tournament this year. TENNIS: Reg Plumridge, tennis pro of '82, will again supervise the tennis tournament. The Dunes has allocated four courts free with practice time. Reg is ready! BRIDGE: Louise Vestal will be back at her successful position of supervising the bridge tournament. SCHEDULE:

The following is a tentative schedule and is subject to change as required:

Tuesday, May 10th

Check-in and registration. Hospitality room open from 3:00 to 8:00 PM. Golf and tennis available after 1:00 PM. Tennis is free. Golf at regular rates. Swimming available at any time.


Page 21

Wednesday May 1 1 t h

7:30 9.00 1:00 3:00

to 12:00 - Golf to 12:00 - Tennis, bridge, tours, to 4:00 - Business meeting to 8:00 - Hospitality room open

Thursday May 12

7:30 9:00 1:00 6:30

to 12:00 - Golf to 12:00 - Tennis, bridge, tours, to 4:00 - Business meeting to 7:30 - Cocktail party and dancing Sea Horse Terrace 7:30 to 10:00 - Banquet and dancing Crown Jewel Room


Please make your reservations as early as possible. It will greatly facilitate the planning for both your committee and the hotel. THANKS!

All suggestions and questions should be addressed to Convention Committee Chairman Lyle Bobzin Drawer 37 Boulder City, Nevada *

-* * * * * * * * * *

the small society


by Brickman

Page 22


The old saying that there is nothing new in the world probably is true, especially if you are senior enough to belong to TARPA. But there are bits of information floating around, while not headline material, still may be of current and general interest. Al Clay asked me to do a column on "now" happenings and I agreed to give it a try. I solicit your help in the way of items, questions, comments and suggestions that would fit in this category. My address is 8021 Pinot Noir Court, San Jose, California 95135. A cautionary note - nostalgia material isn't for this column. As in the past, that goes to Ole Olson, GRAPEVINE Editor. * * * * * * * * * * * TWA GETAWAY TOURS - These tours to Europe and the Middle East are the finest available, to quote a travel agent friend. Not too publicized is that TWA retirees receive a 15% discount off the land portion, same as non-sales department employees. TARPA got our discount upped from the former 10% to the now 15%. With our improved passes, these tours are well worth considering. There is a big selection, including cruises, and they are listed in TWA Getaway travel pamphlets available at any ticket office and most travel agents. You can book your tour through a reservations or ticket office (but not travel agency) or direct with the Getaway Tourist Center in Philadelphia, phone free 800438-2929. My wife and I took the NILE CRUISE, encompassing four days in Cairo and four on a Sheraton Nile River Cruise boat. The cabins were compact but comfortable. They featured a big picture window, individual air conditioning and were kept scrupulously clean. Our boat, the ANNI, carried 180 people. The entire trip was first class all the way. We went in late April. It reached 1200 in Aswan and Luxor, but since it was bone dry, the heat didn't bother us. The very best time to go, weather-wise, is late October to early April. The Getaway books are loaded with useful facts and a note or call to your nearest Egyptian Tourist bureau will bring you other good information. For best choice of dates, make reservations as far ahead as possible. Food some years ago was terrible in Egypt and the number of beggars depressing. Conditions have improved greatly. Begging is discouraged and European chefs have been imported. All our meals were excellent and you can leave your soap and toilet


Page 24

tissue at home! Beer and wine are good and reasonable. Avoid the water and ice. Salads, particularly on the boat, were beautiful and bountiful, but we tried only fruits and vegetables that were cooked or peeled. Whether they ate them or not, nearly everyone, including ourselves, ended up with a brief touch of upset stomach. It is par for the course over there, so be pre-pared! The glory of ancient Egypt projects an overpowering aura. From the King Tut exhibit in Cairo to the fabulous tombs in the Valleys of the Kings and Queens, this tour has to rank as number one in impressiveness and enjoyment. Mighty Abu Simbel, the magnificent temples of Sebok, Horus and Karnak, all erected several thousand years ago to honor Pharaohs (Kings) and Gods, defy description. The Pharaohs believed their world would live on "forever and ever, for millions and millions of years". In its way, perhaps it will. For two absorbing historical novels centered around the time of King Tut, read Allan Drury's "God Against the Gods" and its sequel, "Return to Thebes". If you go, take binoculars for river bank viewing, a flash camera for the tombs and lots of film. A visa, cost $7.50, is required. Tour books state what else to pack. * * * * * * * * * * * AGE 60 FLIGHT ENGINEER CASE - Recent news coverage on court decisions won by pilots, flight engineers and flight attendants against forced retirement caused me to check with retired Captain Hutch Thurston on the progress of the case filed by him, Captain Chris Clark and Captain Cliff Parkhill in 1978. Hutch advised that although their pleading, which was against ALPA and TWA (both opposed pilots and flight engineers working past age 60) has never come to court trial, the latest in the long siege of briefs, depositions and counter-briefs, was dismissal recently of their case by the U.S. District Court in New York. Although discouraging, they are hopeful for a successful appeal because of similar cases decided for the plain-tiffs. Hearing on their appeal is at least a year away. If they win that, the case will be sent back to a lower court for trial. An indication of Captain Thurston's persistence is his dedication to jogging. Seven days a week, rain or shine he runs five to seven miles. According to his wife, Jane, his running shoes go into the suitcase first on any trip. He is getting so good, he now competes in six mile mini-marathons. Not yet a winner, he has come in second several times. Luckily, he lives in Los Altos, California, where it does rain, but doesn't snow! * * * * * * * * * * *


Page 25


Line Squalls Published Monthly by TRANSCONTINENTAL & WESTERN AIR, Inc. R. W. ROBBINS G. E. EVERETT Editorial Director Editor Vol.1


TWA EXTENDS SERVICE TO DETROIT, TOLEDO, FT. WAYNE Extending its service farther into the Great Lakes area, TWA on October 1, inaugurated a Passenger and express route between Indianapolis, Ft. Wayne, Toledo and Detroit. Operating daily except Sundays and holidays with a new Fleetster, single motor monoplane, the new route provides a splendid westbound service from Detroit, Toledo and Ft. Wayne to the territory west of Indianapolis now served by TWA. The 272 miles from Detroit to Indianapolis is flown on a 2 hour and 35 minute schedule. The connection made at Indianapolis with the westbound transcontinental plane provides a 7 1/2 hour service from Detroit to Kansas City and a trip of about 21 hours flying time from Detroit to Los Angeles. The service from Detroit also applies to St. Louis, Wichita, Amarillo, Albuquerque and Winslow. The Fleetster has a capacity of seven passengers, together with their bag-gage and some 300 pounds of air ex-press. It is powered with a 575 horse-power Hornet engine and has a cruising speed of approximately 150 miles an hour with full load. The passenger cabin is unusually comfortable being equipped with two adjustable chairs and heavily upholstered benches. Visibility from the passenger cabin is perfect.


No. 4

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING? ... " Mr. Brennan's "What are you doing to make 1932 a record-breaker for TWA?" has aroused a storm of good-natured "wise-cracks," but stop for a moment to think about it. It is assumed that each of us is doing his level best on his own job, but is it not possible for each of us to give a little more than is expected—a little more than we are actually paid for? Make a game of it with yourself—try to see how much extra you can give. Make a list of things you do which save the company money, which increase safety, which will bring in more business, or anything else which will benefit the company. Of course, there are those who will say-"That's the Bunk! What thanks will we get for that?"—But regardless of whether you get any thanks at all, or whether anyone even knows what you ' ve been doing, you will be well paid by your own feeling of self-satisfaction, in the knowledge that you are doing more than your bit to make the company successful—Eddie Burke All pilots, Eastern and Western Region, domiciled at Kansas City, have completed their tests for S. A. T. R. license. Mr. Frye, Mr. Richter, Mr. Fritz, Mr. Flanagin and co-pilot H. R. Morgan took and passed the test in addition to the regular first-pilots.

Page 1

EXCERPTS FROM LINE SQUALLS FIFTY YEARS AGO GRATIFYING STATISTICS The Travelers Insurance Company has just released statistics which show that casualties in the realm of scheduled Air Transportation are occurring less frequently. The following figures are set forth. "Fatalities among passengers were thirty per 100,000 flights in 1928; ten per 100,000 flights in 1929; six in 1930; and five per 100,000 last year." The fatalities occurring on the basis of passengers carried show the same trend. There was one death to every 3,314 passengers transported during 1928; one to every 9,633 during 1929; one to 17,396 in 1930 and one to 19,346 during the last year.

WAVES FROM THE PACIFIC By Bert Dorris An old friend of "Dutch" Halloway boarded his plane at Fresno and just before starting the take off, the friend asked Dutch about the weather down at Los Angeles. Dutch replied, "Just as open as an old maid's arms". When the plane was over the Tehachapi mountains, Dutch decided he would be unable to get into Glendale because of a fog that had made its appearance, so he landed his passengers at Saugus. The friend asked Dutch to explain his remark about the old maid's arms - and Dutch cracked out with "Guess I don't know as much about old maids as I thought I did - she closed her arms against me." * * * * * * * * * * *

the small society


by Brickman

Page 2


The first aero engine of any major significance was the fourcylinder watercooled flat monstrosity used by the Wright Brothers in 1903 to power the immortal Wright Flyer biplane. That engine, which was built by the brothers Wilbur and Orville, weighed nearly 200 pounds and developed a doubtful 12 horsepower...under ideal conditions! Although Wilbur and Orville built a better engine by 1908 when they sold the U.S.Army Signal Corps their first airplane which was powered with a four cylinder Wright engine that developed somewhere in the neighborhood of 45 horsepower, engine development in the United States and in European countries lagged a bit until 1912 when Glenn Curtiss and Henry Krickler developed the first Model "0" water cooled v-8 engine. This engine was later given an experimental status when the Army asked for an engine to power the thousands of trainers that would be used in the war effort. Known as the "OX" model the engine went through a long development period, and in 1914 was accepted by the Army as the OX5...the fifth engine in the development program! 90 Horsepower at 1400 RPM's. Later, when the U.S.Navy asked for a reliable engine that would produce at least 100 horsepower, Curtiss and Krickler gave them the 0XX6, basically an OX5 with dual ignition!

WINGS OF THE 0X5 In the twenties the Curtiss OX5 was the stout heart of many different American-built planes, military, mail and civilian. Never in the annals of powered flight was there a stronger rapport between pilot and engine than in the era of "the wonderful 0X5."

THE WONDERFUL 0X5 There were a number of aircraft designs offered to the flying public shortly after War's end. The builders, with an eye to keeping costs down, designed their planes around the war-surplus Curtiss 0X5 Engine. This remarkable "war baby" was an eight cylinder V-Type liquid cooled powerplant, delivering 90 Horsepower. There were hundreds of them scattered around the country in warehouses. They were offered at giveaway prices and provided reliable power with reasonable operating costs. submitted by: Capt. James C. Lincoln Board of Governors Orange/San Diego Wing OX5 Aviation Pioneers

Ed Betts sends these operating diagrams for the DC-3. Ed says the slow speeds are frightening, and we agree !




ANOTHER VIEW By A. T. Humbles That was a very interesting article in our last TARPA TOPICS by "Tall Tree" Mc Ferren, however, this "little bush" had an entirely different view of the K-Nine, er, Sta-Nine tests. I believe the intent of the test was the same as the final result, i.e., a method of sorting through a large group of surplus pilots with the purpose of eliminating a sizeable portion inasmuch as TWA had simply over hired. About two weeks before my year's probation would have been over with the Company, which would have placed the time about mid-July of 1946, I received a letter from the chief pilot in Kansas City, where I was based, directing me to come down for these tests. It said the results would be used to help the Company better utilize my abilities for advancement within the Company. In other words, my impression was they were looking for future chief pilot material and other management jobs. I kept this letter for years, but it got lost in the shuffle when I moved to North Carolina. The tests were the identical ones I had once taken as an Aviation Cadet in the U. S. Army Air Corps, except for the additional step of a recorded interview and, I learned later, also bringing in the so-called fitness reports into the overall scoring. We heard TWA paid Dr. Flanagan seventy five thousand dollars to conduct these tests! The relevance of so much of the tests toward determining who would make a good airline pilot completely escapes me. My memory is hazy, but I do recall a question on what was the most popular play on Broadway the previous year. Another wanted to know who makes pianos. Then you had to put pegs in holes and try to keep your finger on an erratically moving dot on something like a phonograph turntable. It is a wonder the interview didn't kill me. I was very frank. I told them I was one of the very first ones TWA contacted in the Air Force after Congress had passed a law that you could be released from the service if you had enough points to go into essential industry. You accumulated points for months in service, more for overseas, more for combat, etc. The TWA representatives painted us a pretty picture. We would have to fly co-pilot for a year and then be checked out to captain. My long time friend who was interviewed at the same time probably was the big influence in convincing me to take the job. When we went to Kansas City for our physicals in early 1945 we were treated royally. TWA even placed a car and driver at our


Page 4

disposal around the clock! I knew it was going to be a fine outfit to work for when they took us in for an interview with the chief pilot. He was wearing cowboy boots with his feet on his desk and chewing tobacco. His name was George Rice and I knew it was going to be a fine outfit to work for as the boss chewed tobacco. We were given a tour of Trans-Continental and Western's overhaul base which was the hangar at 10 Richards Road at the old Kansas City Municipal Airport. Back to the interview connected to the Sta-Nine tests. I told him I did not like the way we were threatened once we had left the Air Force and entered co-pilot school, which was in the old Goebbels hangar. We were told if you did this the Company would fire you; if you did that, the captain would backhand you or have you fired. For the unfortunate ones the results of the tests meant being fired with no regard to seniority. Some pilots were called at eleven o'clock at night on the last day of their first year to be advised they were fired immediately. This was done, obviously, so ALPA would have no legal grounds to fight this arbitrary action. Nevertheless, the uproar was tremendous from more senior pilots and ALPA. I remember attending an Air Line Pilots Association Council 3 meeting at the Continental Hotel in Kansas City where the colorful president of ALPA, Dave Behnke, was in attendance. Some captains had talked friends and acquaintances of theirs into foregoing careers in the military service and other places of employment and coming to work for T & W A, and now they were shot down. I recall hearing of one who had flown captain for Panagra for two years, another had flown the Boeing StratoCruiser all around demonstrating it. But nothing could be done to right this wrong for, as I was to find in my thirty four years with the Company, their decisions in dealing with the pilot group were written in concrete. It was a time when the military had a surplus of pilots and flying jobs were just not to be had. Those who were fired must have felt like it was a blight on their careers, and I wonder what they could tell prospective employers. I certainly don't feel it was a smear on their flying abilities. Someone had to go, but it would have been much better to have done it in accordance with seniority and it would have been rough on anyone to lose their job at this time. Those of us who survived were informed we could come in and meet with Dr. Flanagan concerning the results. I was told I came out above average and would have come out even higher, except they used the fitness reports in grading and it appeared I didn't try to sell myself hard enough to the captains I had flown with who had turned in fitness reports.


Page 5

Dr. Flanagan was very indignant when le asked me what I thought of the tests and I told him they stank. He said he had statistics to show that of the men tested for the Army Air Corps that they had predicted or' designated would be plane commanders, the great majority were and the ones they had forecast to be co-pilots were. I told him this was a bunch of crap as far as I was concerned. When I graduated out of Aviation Cadets, the Germans were shooting down so many they needed first pilots, then as we graduated out of B-17 transition they needed co-pilots for us so just about all of the next class of U. S. Army Aviation Cadets went to B-17 phase training with us preparatory to going overseas. I hope what all this goes to show is that I had an entirely different view of what the Sta-Nine tests were employed to accomplish. I'm sure that if Transcontinental & Western Air had had any ink-ling that I would have been as active in ALPA affairs as I was, I would have bitten the dust and gone on back to North Carolina and contentedly followed a mule the rest of my life. I have no doubt that Mac is sincere in his statements and his recollection of those deplorable events, but the hard facts were driven home to all of us who were down there in the dust. I might even add that I don't think the operations management personnel are even privy to most of higher level TWA management decisions. It is a pity, but a hard fact from where this "little bush" sits. I hope my rendition here doesn't offend Phares McFerren. I think a lot of Mac. I flew co-pilot on the Connie with him in the old days. He split the time and asked me if all the other captains did. I had to tell him a lot did not. One time on a sleepy night between Los Angeles and Kansas City with him he had gone back in the cabin and later he sneaked up and threw the fire warning test switch. Needless to say, I needed a change of pants on arrival in dear old Kansas City. I recall he said he had a wire recorder. You younger fellows won't even know what that was, but way before tape recorders they had come out with wire recorders. We co-pilots couldn't afford them, we only had phonographs but captains had them. Mac told me he had his wife re-cord his favorite programs when he was gone and then he would listen to them when he got home. As I recall, there was Fibber McGee and Molly, Amos and Andy, Lum and Abner, and I don't remember what else. I referred to Mac as "Tall Tree" because he was elected to Council Chairman in Los Angeles and came on the ALPA Master Executive Council about the time of the advent of the jets. I thought he had a chip on his shoulder on arrival on the MEC, as he thought all junior people were out to screw senior and he made a statement to the effect that he was a tall tree among bushes. Well, to make a long story short, he found out most of us were trying to do the best job possible for the TWA pilot group in its entire spectrum, and I sincerely can state that he became one of the


Page 6

best members of the MEC I ever witnessed in over ten years on the ALPA MEC. I have seen members of the ALPA MEC who would just be looking out the window counting buzzards if the discussion did not immediately concern them, but Phares would listen to all arguments and participate in adequate solutions.

* * * * * * * * * * * The following was the concluding paragraph in a feature article in the HARVARD MEDICAL SCHOOL HEALTH LETTER dealing with the social/physical problem of excess stomach gas. "Sometimes simple behavior goals, such as practicing rectal sphincter control, avoiding crowded elevators after baked beans, and glaring at the next guy when all else fails, can make life easier. If these measures fail, it's worth remembering that in remote sites such as the upper Amazon, there are societies where flatus passing is not only socially acceptable, but even a reason for envy by others. So there may be times when one's travel agent can be more helpful than any doctor." * * * * * * * * * * *


Page 7

BARNSTORMING THE AIRSHOWS By Roy Thornton Conclusion Harold credits his not going to these parties for helping him to win some races. On the morning or a race he would go to the course very early after a good night's sleep, rent a slew flying airplane and fly the course until he was sure of every landmark. Then, if during a race he trailed an airplane that went off course he would be confident enough of his landmarks not to follow it. Harold never lost a race for cutting a pylon. Fairfax airport was the airshow site, and admission was 50 or two for 7 5 . On Saturday, a good sized crowd saw Dick Granerere crash his Curtiss pusher from about twenty feet during his flying farmer comedy act. He wasn't hurt, and the STAR headline read, "Aircrash Amazes Air Circus Crowd". After the Omaha show on June 17-18, Harold flew home again, and in Minneapolis on June 24th, Harold flew the IKE in the aerobatic show for the first time. John Livingston was now getting his new Cessna racer ready for the upcoming show in Chicago over the Fourth of July. On June 27th Harold flew the Ike from Minneapolis to Chicago for this big show and then took a train home to test fly Clayton Folkerts R500W racer. Inez took one look at it and said it looked like some kind of "Matilda", and that was the name by which it was referred to thereafter. It hadn't been fitted with a wind-shield yet, so Harold couldn't open it up to full speed, but he was satisfied with its potential and he came back for it after flying his Monocoupe to Chicago for the races. Chicago was host to the World's Fair that hot summer and acres of stands had been erected at the Chicago Airport. 120,000 spectators would attend the four day airshow, whose opening was delayed one day because of 75 MPH winds that leveled some of the stands and blew over the control tower the night before. On July 3rd, Harold flew his Monocoupe to first place in the Krim Ke race and collected $495 and the trophy. Harold later had to explain his wide pylon turns to his dad who saw the race. The Monocoupe, unlike the Ike, had slow ailerons and so required a different kind of pylon turn. On July 5th, the extended day of racing, Harold took first place in the Hotel Sherman race flying Clayton Folkerts' Matilda, which had been called the dark horse entry. He collected more prize money and another identical trophy. Harold had met Clay-ton sometime before when he'd repaired his Monocoupe. Clayton had asked Harold then what it would take for his home built air-



plane to win races. Harold advised him and he rebuilt it as Harold had recommended. It was fitted with smaller wheels and wheel pants, and the wings were shortened at the root. This, plus a redesigned windshield and a general clean up, added enough MPH to make it a winner. The stubby winged, Cirrus powered Matilda, unlike the Ike, stalled abruptly and dropped sharply with almost no warning, but Harold has always liked airplanes and doesn't feel he should pick one apart for some fault in its personality. Harold was busy in Chicago winning races, *flying aerobatics, demonstrating precision dead stick landings, and maintaining the Ike. During the show in Chicago, his inspection revealed one of the Ike's magnetos, which provide fire to the spark plugs, was beginning to crack, Harold decided they would be O.K. for one more performance and he was faced with a decision whether or not to tell John Livingston before he flew an aerobatic routine. He decided not to worry John, and there was no problem. That performance cracked the other magneto and grounded the Ike until new magnetos could be installed. The spinning magnetos had a gyro effect and abrupt maneuvers put a lot of strain on them, so the new magnetos were wrapped with cable to rein-force them so they could better handle the stress. The Chicago races were not sanctioned by the NAA and FAI, so the group lost their license to race for the rest of the 1933 season. In Chicago the Curtiss Candy Company got involved in sponsoring the show and this assured they could complete the air show season, even without any racing prize money. The sanctioned race meet had been held in Los Angeles over the Fourth of July holiday and Roy Minor flew the Mike with great success, winning and placing high in several events. There was a show in Indianapolis on July 15-16, and next was the Milwaukee show on July 18-19, followed by a show in Peoria, Illinois on July 22-23. Duane Cole, of later airshow fame, rode his bicycle to Peoria to see them perform. On July 24th, Harold left for Detroit for the show scheduled for July 29-30. During the show Ben Howard called and told Harold to bring the Ike to Chicago. He had to talk to him. Ben met him at the downtown airport, and he was very upset with Harold for going fishing in Michigan with Art Davis between the Peoria and Detroit shows. Harold was surprised, and pointed out to Ben that before he went fishing he had delivered the Ike to Detroit. ready for the show. When Ben had cooled down, he suggested they go over to

*Also 3rd Baby Ruth Trophy in Ike, 3rd Aero Digest Trophy in Matilda TARPA TALES

Page 9

the airport pilots' room. Before long they were both reminiscing and looking to the future. It was decided there that the Mike would also perform in some of the season's remaining airshows. John Livingston was on his way to the next airshow in Columbus when he made the tough decision to bail out and lose his Cessna racer rather than risk a landing with a damaged and partially retracted landing gear. During this show the rag that Harold kept in the cockpit to wipe his goggles with blew up and blindfolded him during a low level inverted speed dash past the stands. The slipstream held the rag over his face as if it were tied there, and his first swipe failed to dislodge it while he eased the control stick forward to gain altitude. If he ducked or twisted his head he would become disoriented with fatal results, so sitting upright, he literally dug his fingers into his face and pulled the rag off, relieved to find he was at a safe altitude with the wings level. This private drama was played out alone in the cockpit without anyone watching suspecting anything unusual. The Columbus show ended on August 13th, and Harold got home again before the next show in Louisville on August 19-20. In the meantime, the Mike racer had been trailered to Chicago for the National Air races and Roy Minor cleaned up with it, just as he'd done earlier in Los Angeles. At the winning finish of one race the Mike's engine quit. Some pilots would have zoomed for altitude to maneuver, but Roy stayed low, kept up his airspeed, did a 270 degree turn back to the airport runway and made a perfect landing in front of the stands with a dead engine. The crowd loved it. They thought it was a planned part of the show. The Mike was worked on all night to get it back in the air the next day Harold flew the Ike to Toledo and took the train back to Chicago for the Mike. In Toledo John Livingston and Harold flew a stunning act with the twin white racers. They flew out on opposite runway bearings and made all calculations for the maneuver while turning back toward the runway. Once committed, there would be no time to adjust speed or altitude. Success lay in the planning so that the head on, high speed pass was made in front of the stands at the same altitude. After this act, and just before Harold was to take the Ike up to do the aerobatic routine, John Livingston came by with some words about how Harold had been flying this routine too conservatively and had not performed up to the crowd's expectations. Whatever his intention, John made Harold mad, which is a dangerous thing for a pilot, and he proceeded to tear up the sky. A competition pilot is like a Western gunfighter, Harold learned, whose reputation was challenged wherever he went. Such a challenge to his reputation caused Art Killips to die at Oklahoma


Page 10

City attempting to exceed his ability. Harold got away with it this day; John Livingston apologized, and the Toledo newspaper headlines the next day read, "Neumann Steals Show". Harold has said he would like to express somehow, without sounding vain or naive, how he feels about opportunity in America, and perhaps there is something about life and opportunity in Harold's flying at Toledo. He had been doing his job well and probably doing more than should have been expected of him, and he'd been skillfully flying his aerobatic routine with precis-ion, and in a sensible way that assured he'd go on living. Then he was faced with a decision whether to prove something to him-self or recognize the limits of his ambition and/or ability. If he accepted the challenge to prove himself he could be a big hero, or he could be dead. When someone died it was too bad, but that was life - in the airshow. The show moved to Akron, Ohio, on September 16-17, on to Rochester, New York on September 23-24, and to Buffalo, New York, on October 1st. Broken valve pins had caused enough forced landings by now, so that Harold carried spare pins with him. He also carried a hacksaw blade to free himself should the hinged cockpit panel that lowered after entry, leaving only your head exposed, become jammed in a forced landing crash. He was now ferrying both the Ike and Mike, flying aerobatics, air race demonstrations, and was maintaining both airplanes. Jimmie Doolittle was in Buffalo testing a military plane built there, and when Harold, in the air with the Mike, offered to do mock combat with him, this was graciously declined. During the Buffalo show the Ike swallowed a valve which damaged a piston, so Harold disassembled the engine and thoroughly flushed it out to remove any pieces of metal before replacing the piston and valve. He then delivered the Ike and Mike to New York's Roosevelt Field ready for the October 7-8 show. The Ike was also plagued with tail skid problems. The skid was formed from leaf spring steel and faced with stellite material to retard wear. If the steel was tempered too soft it would bend, and tempered too hard it became brittle and broke. At Wilmington, Delaware, before the October 14-15 show, John Livingston told Harold he wasn't happy with the Wilmington airport surface and he wanted Harold to go with him to look at the nearby DuPont field where they might land the airplanes after performing. On the morning of the show, Harold was at the Bellanca Factory on the far side of the Wilmington airport to get high octane fuel for the Mike. The factory had been closed by the depression and


Page 11

Howard racer "Mister Mulligan", with which Harold Neumann won the pylon race called the Thompson Race in 1935 * * * * * * * * * * * he was waiting for the man who was coming down to unlock the pumps. Len Povey, who had bought Betty Lund's Waco, and was now flying lead in the formation with Art and John, taxied over and told Harold that John's front cockpit was covered and he wanted him to fly with Len. They were going up to fly in formation over the city to create some interest in the show, and then go to look over the DuPont airport. Harold had made no preparations to fly, and was there without his parachute, but he climbed in and they took off. There was no windshield on the front cockpit and Harold had his head down, but he could see Art and John off to the sides. Suddenly they peeled off and at that instant there was a crash. Both the wings beyond the strut on the right side were gone, twisting wildly as they trailed behind, along with the bracing wires. Fabric was parting from the top wing center section, blanking out the rudder, and everything threatened


Page 12

to give way. Harold shoved the control stick into the left corner with full left rudder, With full power the airplane would still fly. Lynn was half out of the back cockpit, but then decided to stay with Harold and the airplane. They were lined up with and flying toward the Wilmington airport, about two miles out and two thousand feet high. They could not risk turning the airplane, so would have to land straight in and get down the first time. Harold signaled back to Len that they had to start down now, and pushed the control stick forward. They approached at full power over the breakwater, then the fence, and touched down at about 110 MPH. Len got on the brakes and they stopped in good shape. Several interested people were coming toward them, but Harold got out immediately and went over to where the Mike was. Roy Hunt had flown into them while stunting. He was able to bail out and tradition has it the engine landed in a Wilmington whorehouse parlor. The show was in Richmond-Greensboro on October 29th, and in Charlotte, North Carolina on November 4th. On November 13th, the show was in Asheville, North Carolina, where Harold got in some deer hunting with Art Davis. It was getting cold. Ben told Harold to bring the Mike home to Kansas City, and he started on the 13th, but had to turn back when he ran into snow flurries and freezing rain near Knoxville. The Mike had no carburetor heater and a drop of 180 engine RPM indicated it was icing up. Harold dropped down to fly where it was warmer, and this was very close to the mountain ridges. The Asheville field was short, and below one of these ridges down to a hollow, so he had to follow the slope close to a stall, clear the fence and set down as soon as possible, unable to see the runway boundaries, hoping he could get stopped in time. The show was in Greenville, South Carolina, on the 22nd and 23rd of November and in Chattanooga on November 25-26. The last show date that season was December 3rd in Montgomery, Alabama. Harold had just completed his aerobatic routine, landed, and was taxiing in when everyone in the stands suddenly stood up. He turned the Ike just in time to see a local boy fly into the ground from an inverted loop. The next morning Harold was there when the investigation found that his first aid kit had become wedged between the elevator control horn and the fuselage, locking the controls. The season was over and Harold started to Kansas City with the Ike by way of Laurell, Mississippi; Memphis, Tennessee, and St. Louis. While running up his engine before taking off from St. Louis it lost oil pressure and he shut it down. A piece of met-al that had been lurking in some corner of the engine since Buffalo had jammed the oil pump drive gear. TARPA TALES

Page 13

Harold took the bus to Kansas City, settled his account with Ben Howard, and left for home without a contract for 1934. Sometime that winter Ben Howard sent Cordon Isreal to St. Louis to get the Ike in shape to fly to Kansas City. He got it another 75 miles before he began to lose oil pressure and had to land at New Florence, Mo. He got some wing buffet as he circled to land and remembered what Harold had told him. He put the nose down, was still able to add some power and proceed to land. '82 It's late in the afternoon. Harold is getting restless and it is time for me to go. He enjoys competition and wants to watch the Bing Crosby golf tournament finish. Before I leave we go down into the basement to look over the Warner radial engine he's rebuilding to better than original condition. On July 25th, 1981, Harold was flying in aerobatic competition at Ottawa, Kansas, when his current, 40 year old Warner powered Monocoupe, nicknamed "Harold's Little Mulligan" dropped a valve and he was forced to return to the airport with almost no power, and land. He took only a few minutes to cool off with a cold drink before removing the propeller and cowling and began to look for the cause, which he found was a failed valve keeper washer. Unable to free up the bent valve stem, he had to bring a spare cylinder from home later. His new reserve engine will have improved valve keepers made to his specification. After the Ottawa meet Harold lost his propeller while practicing, and he thought he might lose the airplane, but was able to get it down in a field near his farm in Olathe, Kansas. This ended the 1981 aerobatic competition season for Harold, but now he's about ready for yet another season in 1982. * * * * * * * * * * *


Page 14

- 15 -




COMMANDER WENDELL PETERSON was married to GLADYS O'REAR in a ceremony at Rancho Bernardo, California, on October the 16th. We feel sure that we convey the best wishes of every one in TARPA as we offer hearty congratulations and many, many happy anniversaries for years to come to Pete and Gladys.  * * * * * * * * * * LYLE BOBZIN, Chairman of the 1983 TARPA Convention, to be held at the Dunes Hotel in Las Vegas, May 10, 11, and 12, is busy getting everything lined up and ready for our arrival. Put it on your calendar now and plan to join your friends in May.  * * * * * * * * * * DICK GUILLAN, always a friendly gentleman, wrote a long and newsy letter to A. T. to say that he is enjoying retirement in beautiful North Carolina. Dick and his wife, PEGGY, have a Christmas tree farm (20,000 trees!), called Rambling Springs Ranch, located in Ashe County, near the town of Clemmons. Their spare time is spent remodeling the farmhouse in the country and building furniture. Dick says friends are invited to stop in if they come through Clemmons. * * * * * * * * * * BILL ASHCRAFT had a hip replacement in October, mostly because it was beginning to interfere with his golf game (so says Bill Dixon). He’s ready to go back to the links, Dixon says, and his only concession to the operation has been to sell his motorcycle. * * * * * * * * * * Appearing trim and fit at the Arizona retirement party, LARRY GIRARD has proved that will

power and determination and o c c a s i o n a l acute hunger, no doubt – can shed excess pounds. Having lost about 30 pounds since January, when he retired, Larry was eager to explain his system to his friends. Another diet book, maybe? * * * * * *

* * * *

FRANK McCAUL wrote a long and interesting letter, in his precise and distinctive longhand, to fill us in on his career since leaving TWA several years ago. He is currently Director of Operations and Chief Pilot for Air Marianas, based in Saipan, N.M.I., a Pacific territorial state under protection of the U.S. "The Islands", he says, '"not only have a better climate than Hawaii, but also only a 5% tax rate on gross income". Frank wrote from Minden, Nevada, where he was training new pilots and preparing to ferry a plane back through Maui and Kwajalein to Saipan.  * * * * * * * * * * On a five hour pass from the hospital, CLIFF ABBOTT was able to have Thanksgiving dinner with his family. Doctors have diagnosed his problem as a mild stroke, which has affected his balance, and he has been hospitalized since early October. VIRGINIA tells us that they will remain in the "snow country" for now, missing their November trip to Florida for the first time in 12 years.  * * * * * * * * * * R. P. (BUD) POWELL, in his monthly bulletin as President of the TWA Lake of the Ozarks Seniors, announces that the January 8 meeting and dinner will be at the Dogwood Restaurant. Reservations can be made through JOE LEONARDO (314-374-7350) or ART PRESTIA (314-373-7023). Family style dinner, $6.00.  * * * * * * * * * *


The 1982 TWA Operations Retirement Party was held at the Camelback Inn, Phoenix, Arizona on September 17 and 18. On the "honorees List" were 87 Captains, 32 Fight Engineers, 8 Captain-F'/E, 2 first 0fficers and several other Flight operations retirees. The Saturday evening dinner party was attended by almost 500 guests, friends and family members. 1982 ANNUAL RETIREMENT PARTY HONOREES LIST CAPTAINS Joe Aguilera Bob Hancock Jim Alexander Al Headstrom Ed A., Don Larry Hecker Bill Bauman Gene Hiatt Ritchie Beighlie Howard Hinchman J. B. Bennett Verl Holden George Borgmier Harry Jaynes Dean Brundage Gene Jensen Winn Burbank* Ed Johnson Lee Butler Paul Kissick Dick Carlson Art Lorentz Ned Chrisrman Joe Miller Al Clay Bill Minshall Roy Conaway John Mitchell Joe Daehlin Harry Mokler Jack Dahl John Moore Larry DeCelles John L array Jim DeVeuve Paul Jess Nelson Dougherty Russ Clyde Nixon Drosendahl Bob Russ North Earley Eldred Olson Bud Eleson Vern Olson George England Roy Ownby Rich Flournoy Jim Paxton Bill Flum Bud Peak Larry Girard Art Poehlman Jud Goodspeed Red Rabeneck Bob Gough Vic Reed Dick Guillan Chuck Reyher FORMER CAPTAINS RETIRING AS F,/E John Juda Bill Mehew Merrigan George Shank

O. T. Smith Carl Todd Bill Al VandeVelde Al Wall

Mel Risting Hank Roach Dick Ruble Roger Salmenson Joe Salz Joe Schiavo Dale Simmons Dean Smith F. L. Smith Paul Stahlberg Ted Sterken Ed Strickland Henry Sturtevant Ron Trepas Quincy Troup Bill Turner Bill Twohy G. P. Underwood Bob Wallace Bob Weber Jack Weyrich Clay Whitney Bob Widholm Lee Wildman Wes Wilson Mickey Wind Vic Wolf Don Young Frank Young

FIRST OFFICERS Lee Rohde Jim Scahill (List Continued on next page)



FLIGHT ENGINEERS Russ Parsley Ralph Penson Jim Philpot Jim Prokay Hal Ramey George Reinhold Eddie Seward Frank Smith Tony Stettler Gordon Sullivan Don Tabor

Bill Toms George for Bob West* Norm Wolf Merrill Yonder Don Cameron Herb Chinese Gordon Clare Dick DeBruyn Charlie Dill

Mo Hansen Joe Hara Jim Harkins Ray Heigle Jim Holmes Jack Hough Don Leslie John McFarland Tom McLaughlin Harry O'Brien Don Palmer

* Deceased  * * * * * * * * * * MARVIN HORSTMAN, the competent and popular Chief Pilot who served Kansas City and New York for so many years, writes that he is still working part-time as an Aviation Consultant and dividing his time between New York and 'Florida. Hearing from former highly esteemed Managers and seeing their names go into the TARPA Directory, provides a kind of special boost to us retired TARPANS. We have always believed that Chief Pilots ("Managers of Pilots" or whatever), deserve an extra measure of respect, understanding and even sympathy. Theirs was pretty much an unrelenting around-the-clock, 7-days-a-week job. In retirement, they must be savoring the calm, the quiet, the boredom and peace of retirement. We would venture the opinion that Mary is not missing the old hot seat.  * * * * * * * * * * JIM WHEELER, Chicago's Chief Pilot of years ago, once confessed that he got a bit short of patience with crew members who called him at midnight from Pittsburgh to complain about the lumpy mattress in the designated hotel!  * * * * * * * * * * ROBERT J. (BOB) WEST, JFK, died August 23 at his home in Florida. He retired in 1981. He leaves his wife, Mary, of St. Petersburg.  * * * * * * * * * * DANIEL PICKETT, SFO, died on August 27. He retired in 1980 and was living in Denver. He is survived by his wife, Christianne.  * * * * * * * * * * MELVIN KASSING, JFK, passed away on August 14. He retired in


1974, after 30 years with TWA. His wife, Elvera, survives him.  * * * * * * * * * JEANNE LOOSEN, wife of JIM LOOSEN, died here in Kansas City on September 6. Surviving are one son, Kevin; two daughters. Kay and Patricia; and five grandchildren. Jim has been Administrative Assistant to Kansas City Chief Pilots for many years.  * * * * * * * * * * JAMES D. BUCHANAN'S wife, LOUISE, died on October 8. She had been ill for more than two years. They had been married for 43 years.  * * * * * * * * * * PARKER ZELL is reported to have died recently, after a fall from a ladder. We are not sure where he was making his home, but the Seniors directory shows his address in 1981 in Scottsdale.  * * * * * * * * * * KEN BLANEY, who was a co-pilot with TWA until 1932, when he was disabled in a hangar accident, is a recent addition to the TARPA roster. HOWARD (SONNY BOY) HALL, who has corresponded with Ken throughout the intervening 50 years, wrote Secretary Humbles about Ken, and A. T. Took it from there. In a thank-you letter, Ken says, "I flew with many of your EAGLE members starting with Maddux Airlines through TAT-Maddux and TWA. An accident in a hangar at Lambert Field, STL, on June 16, 1932, put me on permanent disability. I'm getting along pretty well, living alone and in a wheel chair. I enjoy the TARPA TOPICS very much and will appreciate receiving future issues". Welcome back, Ken, and we thank Sonny Boy for his efforts.  * * * * * * * * * * A group of Kansas City's "super-super Seniors" took part in a private golf tournament recently at the Kansas City Country Club and were accompanied by Kansas City's super-super "Junior" golfer, TOM WATSON. The oldest player was 89 and the youngest, 80. Some of the golfers conceded that they had trouble keeping track of the ball, so Tom volunteered to assist as a caddy. The rules of play were somewhat unique: (1)•A week of rest between front and back nines; (2) Out-of-Bounds and water balls don't count; (3) Each player to carry a 6-foot piece of string and may advance the ball that far once on each hole. JOE GILBERT, SR., who owned and operated the first restaurant at K.C. Municipal and is a close friend of many TWAers, acted as Awards M.C. and presented bottles of Geritol to the winners.  * * * * * * * * * *


Since its first meeting in Phoenix in 1979, TARPA has grown to nearly 1,000 members. Following are the names of new members gleaned from numerous recent letters from A. T. Humbles, our industrious Secretary, to Dean Phillips, Paul McCarty, Roy Van Etten, Lyle Spencer, Russ Derickson and The Grapevine, which provide the information to Van Etten's computer, McCarty's Directory, Phillips' books, etc. Most of these have been added since the August, 1982, directory. Paul is working on a revised directory, expected to appear in early '83. Please understand that this list is unofficial and may not be entirely accurate or complete. It may include some members who are in the August directory; it may not include some who have joined TARPA recently. Welcome to TARPA membership, fellows! It can be safely predicted that from among the many "Associate" members (age 50-60) below, TARPA will have reserves to draw on for its future officers, committee chairmen and workers for at least another quarter-century. Wallace K. Carter S. C. Bushy Norman F. Anderson William K. Motz George F. Ryan Joseph B. Hunt Don W. Smith James Travers H. J. Kirst Al Rehbock Joseph R. McDonald Charles E. Sebolt Bob Balser Walter Waldo Thomas Hutchins Norman Dufresne Milton D. Jones Vincent J. Madden Gene Richards William H. Blakemore James W. Whitcomb Thad Fenton Bryce B. Hunt H. Lloyd Overmier Claude N. Weaver Ken Blaney Lee A. Rohde Joseph R. Schiavo Verl M. Holden Perry A. Schreffler Edwin L. Roca Bernard J. Kappler J. G. Williams John M. (Jim)Lydic James Harkins THE GRAPEVINE

Frank Petee Robert J. Audette Russell Day Robert W. Parker Bob DeLano Casey Roddy James R. Sherard Peter Sidway T. F. Musselwitz Jim Rollison Howard R. Hinchman Ernie Banks Harold W. Meade Donald E. Frazier Robert O. Brockman E. W. Jones Robert A. Kane Jack R. Winters Wayne Richardson John S. Bybee Charles J. Foster Hugh A. Francis Paul T. Reavis William H. Flum Robert Lemmori James A. McIntyre Jay Schmidt John Bernard Albert D. Huck W. H. Twohy A. R. Hawes John T. Happy Cony B. Metcalf Claude E. Hill Charles B. Horton

Walter F. Buchholz Glen D. Bevins William J. Ebert Ed Strickland Bruce F. Mitchell John B. Schulte Willard L. Teommey Frank H. Jones Joseph L. Peterson Paul H. Whitford John R. Boyce Clem Sittman Marvin L. Schliep Leroy Geisert Don R. Calkins Charles M. Rider Bruce McDonald William Reese Roger N. Salmonson A. F. Schwedler Wesley L. Jacobson Steward Greene Paul E. Roach Frank McCaul John C. Hildebrand Jack C. Weyrich Charles Tuttle Richard M. Carlson George Reynolds Jerry Callahan Jess Henslee Jack C. Moss Harry L. Stamp John W. Benner, Jr. (continued) Page 6

Estil N. Hubbard Charles Y. Van Trease Bud Gilley Dean L. Brundage Barry D. Hook Robert S. Hamilton Roy W. Conaway William T. Milam Clifford Bjork Justin W. Livingston Luther J. Renfrew * * *

Ormond L. Howard Robert F. Milford Clifton A. Bossard John McCallion Tracy M. Stright Walter W. Rumph James R. Davidson Norman Sorensen Thomas Conley Keither Loury Earl R. Waggoner

Robert Thune R. E. Stambook Charles R. Watkins Carl Schmidt Richard J. Lee Harvey M. Thompson Gilbert M. Lamphear William B. Aman Guy A. Fortier R. T. Rager Marvin H. Woolf

* * * * *, * * *

The TWA Seniors club Round-up at the Rancho de los Cabelleros, 50 miles northwest of Phoenix, near Wickenburg, Arizona, on November 5, 6, and 7, under the direction of "El Machissimo" G. R. "Parky" PARKINSON, brought 160 long-time TWA friends together again in the event's 21st annual meeting. About 110 guests were accommodated at the Cabelleros. Another 35 drove in from Sun City, Sedona and other nearby communities to play golf or attend the dinner. Approximately 20 wives spent Friday and Saturday at the Wickenburg Inn, a few miles away. Many of these women spend several days with their husbands at the Cabelleros after arriving early in the week. By tradition, however, Friday noon to Sunday noon is reserved for retirees only. As always, it was a weekend of good fellowship, a lot of reminiscing, tall-story telling, tennis, horseshoe pitching, putting, skeet, hiking, elbow-bending, riding, excellent food, golf and, as Parky says, just lazing around. Forty eight golfers, a record number for the event, played in the Saturday morning tournament on the new and challenging course. Low gross winner was ROY FURGERSCN (KCI) with a 78. GEORGE HUMMEL (Sedona) was runner-up with a commendable 80. Other winners were PAUL MCNEW, JACK CRUMP, HAL BROWN and CHARLES SHARP. In the over70 Callaway, BILL TOWNSEND and PARKY won prizes. RALPH TAGGART, golf Chairman, stuck to his table at the clubhouse right to the last putt. JACK NUSS was tennis champion. CHARLES SHARP won in the horseshoe pitching contest, defeating dark-horse DICK TRISCHLER; who swore he had never thrown a shoe before that day. AL JORDAN won the skeet shooting match. The lazing around competition was won by JIM SHAUNTY. Seniors Club "El Presidente" BOB MCCORMICK was in good form at the dinner microphone. NEIL EFFMAN, senior Vice President of airline planning, was speaker of the evening. Chairmen of other activities were CHARLIE CONNERS, RED MCKINNEY, JIM WULPI (now 93), CURT TWING, HERB HOEHL and RAY DUNN.


Page 7

Parky and his enthusiastic helpers do a bang-up job on this dude ranch get-together. The Rancho de los Cabelleros, as proof of its standing, was chosen by "W", the New York fashion and society publication, for a two-page spread in a section featuring Arizona living, in the November 19th issue. The recognition is well deserved. L. J. SMITH, from his home at Shell Harbor, Welaka, Florida, brings us up to date on his situation since our report of a year ago. In his own words, he says it best: "I am truly thankful for TARPA TOPICS, as this is the one contact I have with all my friends and fellow pilots made during the thirtyfour years that I served TWA. 'There is nothing I would rather do than participate in all the conventions and get-togethers, but that is impossible due to the following reasons. 'Six months after I survived a massive heart attack, my lovely bride of almost 35 years, Dauretta, former secretary to Ed Ball in LGA, was stricken with multiple sclerosis. She has not walked in over 5 years and is now a total bedridden patient, paralyzed from the shoulders down. Having run the gauntlet of hospitals, clinics, and you name it, there is nothing that can be done for her. Now, I keep her at home and being the only one to take care of her, it is a full-time job. I never leave her for more than an hour or so. "I should like at this time to thank those of you who have sent letters, which I have been unable to answer. I'd like to thank especially, Paul Burke, Helen and Bob Adickes, Parky, Bill McMinn, Bill and Mickey Townsend and others. "P.S. to A. T. Humbles: I could not help but think of him the other day when my son, Jimmy, a local fishing guide, brought three hot, fresh-smoked mullet to me. Wish A. T. Could have been here to enjoy them with me." Thank you, L. J. Your letter will have many of us counting our blessings. * * * * * * * * * * * _You may have missed Parky's write-up in the SKYLINER about HAROLD NEUMANN'S good deed in October, when he took his "Little Mulligan" Monocoupe up to 8,000 feet over the Kansas City Royals Baseball stadium during the final game of the season with the Oakland A's, and did a bit of sky-writing to promote our favorite airline. Harold reports that he smoke-wrote "TWA" three times - and improved each one as he went along. "The weather was perfect", he explained, "there was no wind up there, and I did it because I had promised someone in the company that I would do it sometime. This was my personal gesture of appreciation to TWA for its generosity with passes and all the other benefits over the years". THE GRAPEVINE

Page 8



Page 9

SECRETARY'S CORNER Your editor, AL Clay, allows me to throw a little something in before I take the stuff to the printers. As of Christmas, we had 998 members in TARP?. Broken down into the four categories we have; 571 Regular Members 339Associate Members 49 Eagles 39 Honorary I believe you all are getting better but please remember to let me have your address changes. Lately the post office has been changing quite a few zip codes. Those with summer and winter homes - please let me know the times you will beat each place if you haven't already. The last page in here is an application. Since this will be going to a few non-members may I extend our most cordial invitation to join with us? Dues are fifteen dollars per calendar year payable now. Send your check and application to me and we will do the rest. All our dues go to printing and the other expenses and there are no paid officers or employees. Those who are already members may use the form to enlist someone they might know who would care to join.

TREASURER ' s CORNER Our treasurer, Dean Phillips, asked me to have something in this issue to remind you that dues are payable now for the calendar year of 1983. Make your check out to TARPA and send to: Capt. Dean L.Phillips 7218 Onda Circle Tucson, AZ 85715 Hope you will all have a nice holiday season and a properous New Year!

A. T. Humbles TARPA Secretary Rt. 2 Box 152 Belhaven, NC