Page 51

EURODIALOGUE

Journal of International Relations, European, Economic and Social Studies

Table 2: Multi-Annual Indicative Financial Framework: Breakdown of the IPA envelope for Turkey 2007-2013 into allocations by component (in million EUR)

COMPONENT

2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 TOTAL

Transition 256.7 256.1 239.6 211.3 228.6 233.9 238.3 1664.5 Assistance and Institution Building Cross-border Co-operation

2.0 2.8 9.3 9.5 9.7 9.9 10.2 53.4

Regional Development

167.5 173.8 182.7 238.1 291.4 350.8 378.0 1782.3

Human Resources 50.2 52.9 55.6 63.4 77.6 89.9 96.0 485.6 Development Rural Development 20.7 53.0 85.5 131.3 172.5 197.8 213.0 873.8 TOTAL

497.2 538.7 566.4 653.7 781.9 899.5 935.5 4872.9

Source: European Commission, 2008

Assistance under the IPA can take several forms. In the case of Turkey, it is implemented via work and supply contracts, grants, technical assistance and twinning. Generally, the EU co-finances the projects at a rate of 75% while the Turkish side has to contribute the remaining 25%. In the case of an agreement between the Commission and the Turkish authorities, the MIFF 2011-2013 foresees the piloting of other forms of delivery such as sector wide programs or pooled financing with other donors. The management of the assistance is decentralized with the European Commission being in charge of the accreditation process and the Turkish authorities responsible for the fund management. So far, the IPA has been well received in Turkey. In the period 2007 - 2010, 137 projects offered from 70 public institutions worth 1.351 billion EUR were funded under Component I alone. Of this total amount, 928.7 million EUR came from the EU. The remaining 422.8 million EUR were contributed by Turkey. Within Component II, Turkey furthermore participates in bilateral and multilateral cross-border cooperation programs with Bulgaria and other Balkan countries. Due to the large size of Turkey and its high fund absorpTurkey on the European doorstep

49

Turkey on the European Doorstep  

A Publication based on the International Conference organised at the European Parliament/Brussels by Dr. ELENI THEOCHAROUS, Member of the Eu...

Read more
Read more
Similar to
Popular now
Just for you