IN ASSOCIATION WITH
Taxi driver shot dead
HAMMANSKRAAL I WITH THE COMMUNITY
30 August09, 2019, Week 35 Week Tel: 011 086 011 241 862 56488500 I www.tametimes.co.za Volume 23 May 2017, 21 862 8500 I Fax: Tel:
Chaos similar to that witnessed during the strike by municipal workers a few weeks ago played itself out yet again following a commotion sparked by taxi drivers’ action against drugs in the CBD on Tuesday. Traffic came to a standstill and just as what happened when municipal workers blocked major intersections with metro buses during the strike, motorists on Tuesday had to find alternative routes to navigate through the heart of the nation’s capital. Alternative routes meant driving the wrong way down one-way streets, illegal U-turning and basically using any space and corridor they could find in order to get out of the city centre as quickly as possible. The taxi drivers had confronted drug dealers and buyers near Bloed Street Mall. The drivers have been at loggerheads with the drug dealers
for a while. An altercation ensued after the dealers and buyers reportedly resisted. It was at that moment that shots were fired, killing a taxi driver. The incident infuriated taxi operators, who have been taking strong action against drugs in the CBD. They hijacked numerous buses and blocked roads. Tshwane metro police department spokesperson senior superintendent Isaac Mahamba said their members managed to clear the road and remove the buses to relieve traffic. Roads and Transport MMC Sheila Lynn Senkubuge condemned the violence, which resulted in disruption of public transport operations. “A shooting which resulted in the death of a
taxi driver is reported to have incited the riots. “The riots led to two A Re Yeng and three Tshwane Bus Services and Gautrain buses as well as two trucks being utilised to blockade the roads. “A Re Yeng and Tshwane Bus Services operations were halted for the remainder of the day in the interest of safety. A Re Yeng C3 and F5 feeder routes were among the affected public transport routes as riots unfolded in the vicinity of Bloed Mall. “The affected streets included Sisulu, Boom and Soutpansberg. At the time of this release, ceased buses and trucks were reportedly not damaged,” said Senkubuge. The MMC said the taking of a human life was never justified and that the perpetrators of this murder and unlawful usage of public transport vehicles to block roads should be punished. “The City would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused by the disruptions to public transport operations within the CBD,” she said from the scene in the tragedy. Senkubuge added that the details of the deceased would be communicated after notification of the next of kin and through police platforms. SAPS spokesperson Captain Mavela Masondo said while a case of murder would be opened, investigations had already started looking for the culprit. “At the moment we don’t have any information about the suspect or suspects, but we are on top of the matter. “We are, however, also appealing to members of the public to help us catch the person responsible.” He urged people with information to contact the police on 0860 10111.
Valid 29 Aug - 1 Sept 2019
Quality Brands @ the Lowest Prices
Available while stocks last. T’s and C’s apply.
30 AUGUST 2019
A NOTE FROM THE
Taxi Recapitalisation Programme by Buhle Lindwa
MAKOTI’S ARE NOT OUR HOUSE MAID
A makoti automatically becomes part of her new family. She is expected to cook and wash. But what we really don’t understand is that times have changed with regards to modern, working-class women. How can she come home late from work, fatigued after long hours and be expected to cook for us and do all the house chores? while the house is full of unemployed siblings who just sit around lazily. Recently married makotis don’t waste time to move to their own places after the wedding to avoid all the family chaos and drama. Can we blame them? Maybe if we in-laws become more considerate, the makotis will prolong their stay. Mind you, I am not advising them to overstay their welcome. Makotis are not slaves or housemaids. They need to feel a part of our families. They deserve dignity, compassion and respect. Let’s stand by them and support them without reservation.
SEND YOUR VIEWS AND OPINIONS TO: ZEB@TAXITIMES.NET
A NOTE TO THE
Early this year I was in a taxi and I was wearing torn pants. I was sitting in the front seat and the driver made funny remarks about what I was wearing. I was just a joke in the taxi. He was telling everyone how women these days are very indecent when it comes to what they wear and they are very seductive to men. He even swore at me in Zulu though. He said I should dress more appropriately. I’ve heard of a story of a girl in Kaalfontein who was gang raped actually. She thought the people in the taxi were also passengers, only to find out she was the only real passenger. Taxis are very bad places. When I’m not too broke I take Uber, which is also not too safe but I think it’s better than taking a taxi.
The Department of Transport has been approved by the government, to officially launch the Taxi Recapitalisation Programme; which is set to regulate the taxi industry and enforce strategies for the industry to recapitalise itself. What is the Taxi Recapitalisation Programme? The programme is rooted in the recommendations of the National Taxi Task Team, which has the strategic objectives to offset the economic boost in the industry. The taxi industry will be regulated by the government and accept economic aid and interventions. What will the programme entail? The Taxi Recapitalisation Programme will facilitate that safety regulations are met and that all vehicles are road-worthy. Furthermore, the government will give a scrapping allowance, this capital subsidy will only apply to those who surrender their vehicles to be validated and succeed in roadworthy regulations.
The government has decided to increase the taxi scrapping allowance from R91 100 to R124 000 per scrapped old taxi. The department is resuming the scrapping of old taxi’s and scrapping sites will be allocated in each province. The taxi industry will directly benefit from this, as there will be a competitive bidding process for the operational management of the scrapping process facilitated by Anthus Service 84. Taxi Recapitalisation Programme: What will the process be? A new business will be developed for the administration of this project. The taxi industry will own 60% of this joint entity with Anthus Service 84, and all the proceeds coming from this project will contribute to the Taxi Development Trust. The Department of Transport is undergoing negotiations with the South African National Taxi Council (Santaco), to ensure that every operator in the industry gets a piece of the pie. Applications for the scrapping of old
taxi vehicles are incoming, and the department has successfully processed 1 464 applications. The process begins with the scrapping of 1 000 vehicles that have been approved, and more vehicles will be processed as the applications continue to come in. The efforts from the government to regulate and uplift the taxi industry will aid with the industry to recapitalise itself. “The Department of Transport intends to use the Revised Taxi Recapitalisation Programme to unify the Taxi Industry by introducing collaborative ownership and operating models, using structures such as co-operatives and corporatisation. Collaborative minibus taxi industry ownership and operating models will eliminate existing fierce competition amongst drivers, and encourage responsible driver behaviour and passenger safety.” -Department of Transport
Gavin Watson dies in horror crash Gavin Watson, the head of a South African firm accused of corruption, has died in a car crash close to OR Tambo International Airport in Johannesburg. “The man was driving into the airport precinct, when he allegedly lost control of his vehicle and collided with a concrete pillar holding up a highway bridge. The victim was certified dead on the scene by paramedics and a case of culpable homicide has been opened for investigation,” the police said in a statement on Monday. He was driving a company-issued Toyota Corolla because he was apparently having mechanical issues with his metallic blue BMW X5 which he left at the company premises in Krugersdorp. One strange thing is that he signed out a manual and apparently he can only drive an automatic vehicle. Photographs of the vehicle showed that Watson was not wearing his seatbelt at the time of the accident. Watson and some top managers at his company were implicated as having given government officials money and other lavish gifts in exchange for favours. His company is alleged to have pumped millions of rand into ANC campaigns.
Watson has most recently been embroiled in controversial donation to President Cyril Ramphosa’s ANC presidential campaign. R500,000 was donated to the ANC campaign, and was exposed after DA leader Mmusi Maimane asked the president about the donation in Parliament. Watson was supposed to testify at his Sars tax inquiry on Tuesday so it is unclear where he was going on Monday. There are a number of theories being bandied about. It is possible he had a heart attack or a stroke or blacked out for some reason because there appear to be no skid marks on the road. Nelson Mandela Bay ANC Councillor Andile Lungisa says he suspects foul play. “It’s part of the bigger agenda, that’s why I am saying there is foul play here, you cannot because he is supposed to appear at the Zondo Commission two days, no more. We must not keep quiet we must analyse what is called a balance of forces, analyse material condition what is at play here,” said Lungisa Watson lived 75km away with no plans to fly anywhere. So why was he on route to the airport at 5am? There is no evidence of foul play at this stage, but the Watson family is seeking an independent autopsy and report.
30 AUGUST 2019
Teen stabs mother’s abusive boyfriend to death
Tito Mboweni’s economic growth strategy
By Chanice Jennike
A 14-year-old boy was arrested after he allegedly stabbed his mother’s boyfriend to death in Hammanskraal, Gauteng. According to reports, the teen walked in on the man who was assaulting his mother. The teen reportedly took out a knife and stabbed the man in his upper body. Police spokesperson Colonel Lungelo Dlamini
said that the teen was arrested and later released into his parent’s custody. “Although this young boy must be responsible for his actions, but he also became a victim when he saw violence perpetrated against his mother,” Dlamini said. Police investigations continue.
Ayanda Ncwane opens up on widows battles
Ayanda Ncwane is speaking out against “unfair” customary laws that oppress black widows. Since losing her husband, gospel star Sfiso Ncwane in 2016, Ayanda has made it her mission to help comfort widows. She took to Instagram to talk about the struggles women face after the death of a spouse. “After 25 years of “freedom”, widowed women are still oppressed and unfairly treated by customary laws & some unbearable culture!!!!” she wrote.
Ayanda added the bill of rights recognises women and men as equals but some cultural practises do not. “Till this day many widowed women are still forced to wear INZILO (a black mourning attire) for 12 good months, BUT widowed men can completely carry on with their lives after the burial of her wife.” She says wearing mourning attire should not be a must. “INZILO is NOT a South African culture nor tradition and this should be a choice of a widow not an obligation!!!” Her remarks started a huge debate in the comments section of her post. “Ya’ll need to know your place… stop competing with us men,” one man wrote. While many women said they respected their culture, they agreed that wearing mourning clothes should be a choice. “The process it’s not meant to oppress women, however it shouldn’t be forced on anyone. Men and women have different roles that doesn’t make us unequal, I would rather we appreciate our differences and the roles we play,” one wrote. Another Instagram user explained how inzilo started. “Inzilo is one of the things that were introduced by missionaries to identify widows in other to assist feed them. Just like the number of cows for lobola. So, it’s entirely up to us to unlearn these customs, even the ones that were practiced by our elders. Every generation should tailor make their ways of living to suit them & off course learn from those that came before us.”
Finance Minister Tito Mboweni has released a policy document outlining his plan to turn the economy around. The document calls for “deliberate and concerted actions” aimed at boosting the GDP growth rate by 3% per annum. This follows a disappointing year so far for the economy, with Treasury saying the current trajectory is unsustainable. In the first quarter of the year, the economy contracted by 3.2%, according to fin24, and unemployment remained high at 29%. The economy’s projected growth-rate currently stands at a meagre 0.7%, which is far below the 5% growth-rate demanded by the National Development Plan. Mboweni’s new plan contains a number of measures aimed at addressing this.
In the short term, this includes promoting tourism, improving telecommunications and boosting the agricultural sector through better marketing and exports, the Daily Maverick reports. In the medium-term, the focus is on improving public transport. In the long-term, the paper focuses on agriculture, which it views as key to growth and job creation. Additionally, the document calls for the reduction of red tape and for the promotion of more competition between companies. If nothing else, the document is a bold statement from a finance minister who continues to face a significant uphill battle. It may be the wake-up call government needs.
Village fights for its school
The Lower Sitholeni community in Ngcobo is frustrated with the Eastern Cape Department of Education as they watch their village school fall apart. The ceilings in the classrooms are caving in. Windows and doors are broken because of the high winds in the area. Parents fear their children will be injured during classes. There are not enough classrooms; each one has to accommodate two grades. The school, which has about 220 children, caters up to grade 7. It was built in 2010 with a donation from UBank. Some learners have to walk more than 10km to the school and there is no scholar transport. (The gravel road into the village is also in disrepair.) Also during the rainy season it is dangerous for learners to cross the river into the village, so residents want a bridge to be built. The chairman of the School Governing Board, Lulamile Sambatha, said they have been to the provincial education department on several occasions to ask for maintenance and an extension to the school but instead the department attempted to shut it down. Ward 20 councillor Cebisile Hlazo said a bridge over the river has been approved for this current municipal financial year
and a constructor has been appointed. “It is just a matter of time before that work begins,” said Hlazo. Eastern Cape education spokesperson Malibongwe Mtima said a delegation went to inspect the school in 2016. It discovered that the structure that was donated by the UBank was temporary and poorly built “which is why it is falling apart”. Mtima confirmed that the education department was in the process of shutting down the school because the attendance numbers were below its policy threshold for viable schools. It said the community was notified, but the move was halted after the community pleaded with the department. “We have since seen the numbers improving and we have since allocated additional educators but we are concerned that on average learners start schooling at the age of nine,” said Mtima. He said the department will rebuild the school from scratch but it is also monitoring the numbers of learners. Mtima said the department cannot provide scholar transport due to a lack of access roads and it has raised this with the local municipality and provincial department of transport.
30 AUGUST 2019
Aphiwe Dyantyi tests positive for a banned substance
Aphiwe Dyantyi has requested the testing of a B sample after the Super Rugby Lions winger, capped on 13 oc-
casions by the Springboks, had a urine sample, given on July 2 while attending a South African training camp,
returned positive for a banned substance on August 14 by South African Institute for Drug-Free Sport (SAIDS). In a media statement issued on Saturday via his agent Gert van der Merwe, the soon-to-be 25-year-old denied any wrongdoing. “I want to deny ever taking any prohibited substance, intentionally or negligently, to enhance my performance on the field. I believe in hard work and fair play. I have never cheated and never will,” he wrote. “The presence of this prohibited substance in my body has come as a massive shock to me and together with my management team and experts appointed by them, we are doing everything we can to get to the source of this and to prove my innocence. “As a professional sportsman on national and international level we get tested on a regular basis. I have been tested before and again since this test. It is part of the job and we all know that each and every player is bound to get tested at least two to four times a year.
Sports analyst David Kekana has died day afternoon at the Milpark Hospital in Joburg. The sportsman was hospitalised after suffering a heart attack, according to reports. The SABC reported that David died after suffering from a long illness. Meanwhile, the Sunday World reports that a nasty was has broken out between David and his estranged “sugar mama” over the division of their estate and control of their company. The paper reports that his wife Lesley Jane Kekana had applied for an order in the Joburg high court to force him to hand over share certificates of trust accounts he allegedly took when vacating their multimillion rand home in Dainfern Estate, north of Joburg.
Minister of Sport, Arts and Culture Nathi Mthethwa, sends condolences to David Kekana’s family and friends. On Monday South Africa woke up to the sad news that a well-known SABC sports analyst and anchor David has passed away. “Today we woke up to devastating news of the passing of veteran football Analyst, David Kekana. His contribution to
football analysis spans close to 2 decades & his commitment to sports development will be sorely missed. We send our sympathies to his loved ones,” said the minister, in a mini-statement released via his Twitter handle. It is also reported that David was hospitalised a few weeks ago and he never recovered. According to SABC Morning Live, David (47) passed away on Sun-
SEND YOUR VIEWS AND OPINIONS TO: ZEB@TAXITIMES.NET
“Taking any prohibited substance would not only be irresponsible and something that I would never intentionally do, it would also be senseless and stupid. I underwent a drug test on June 15 (only two weeks prior to the July 2 test) which did not return any adverse finding. “I want to apologise in advance to my team-mates and management at the Lions and Springboks, my friends and my family for the negative impact this news may have. “Personally this game has given me an opportunity to inspire not only the young rugby hopefuls but South Africans across all walks of life and that is something I do not take for granted and something I would definitely not risk by doing a stupid act like this. “I will now put all my energy in working with my support team and focus in proving my innocence in this matter and will not be providing any comments until there are further developments in the matter that warrants comment from my side.”