2013 Design Awards
Renovation of 714 Main Street by Gerald Moorhead, FAIA
Project Renovation of 714 Main Street, Fort Worth Client XTO Energy Architect Schwarz-Hanson Architects Design Team Tod Hanson, AIA; Nick Petta; Chase Clay Photographer Daniel Stober andJohn Roberts, AIA
hen it was completed in 1921, the 24-story, steel-framed Farmers and Mechanics Bank, located at 714 Main Street and designed by Fort Worth architects Sanguinet and Staats, anchored the southern edge of Fort Worth’s downtown. Nearly a century later, it remains a landmark on the skyline, with views to Waxahatchie or the Ranger Stadium on a clear day. In 2012, Schwarz-Hanson Architects completed the award-winning comprehensive rehabilitation of the building’s exterior, including a full reconstruction of the missing masonry details and windows of the lower floors, new windows throughout the building, and reconstruction of the original elevator lobby. The jury appreciated the “rigor by the architects to understand the details of the building and present it back to the community.” The ten-bay terra-cotta arcades of the first four floors were changed in the 1960s and ’80s, and the arches, ornament, and wood-and-bronze windows were all replaced with aluminum-strip windows and a flat masonry veneer. All of the original interior spaces were lost. With little to go on initially, Schwarz-Hanson was fortunate to uncover remnants of original materials during demolition, and the team judiciously made adjustments to the project scope to reflect the new information. Of even more value was the discovery of two sheets of the original facade elevations, which made it possible to correctly replicate the entire ornamental scheme. The building was vacant for a decade before the new owner, XTO Energy, undertook the rehabilitation. Thorough abatement was required,
46 Texas Architect
This year’s statewide design awards jury recognized 11 projects as outstanding examples of design in Texas. The three jurors — Ann Beha, FAI...