RULES • • • •
8 Topics Teams pick in ascending order of points +10/0 on direct +10/-10 on buzzer
WHAT HATH GOD WROUGHT
PAINT ME LIKE PLAYING WITH YOUR FRENCH GIRL BALLS
A TALE OF TWO CITIES
LOVE ME LIKE A LOVE SONG
PEN IS MIGHTIER THAN EVERYTHING
â€˘ In Greek mythology, X is the mythological Muse known as "the proclaimer, glorifier and celebrator of history, great deeds and accomplishments. Like all the muses, she is a daughter of Zeus and Mnemosyne. She is often represented with a parchment scroll or a set of tablets and is also known as the Proclaimer. These awards are named after X and were first given in 1960 for excellence in television advertising by the American TV and Radio Commercials Festival. Each winner received a gold Georg Olden designed statuette. The
â€˘ X is a play by George Bernard Shaw, named after a Greek mythological character. â€˘ Professor of phonetics Henry Higgins makes a bet that he can train a bedraggled Cockney flower girl, Eliza Doolittle, to pass for a duchess at an ambassador's garden party by teaching her to assume a veneer of gentility, the most important element of which, he believes, is impeccable speech. The play is a sharp lampoon of the rigid British
• The artist saw a house in Iowa that he decided to paint along with “the kind of people I fancied should live in that house.” He chose his sister and his dentist. ID THE PAINTING.
â€˘ According to legend, the name X is derived from "____________" meaning "headstone" in Tulu When Lord Ganapathi kept a shiva linga belonging to Ravana on ground, Ravana tried to pull the linga from the ground but could not. Due to the force exerted by Ravana, some pieces were scattered. One such piece from the head of the linga is said
• The city's name comes from the Arabic word fusṭāṭ which means a large tent or pavilion. According to tradition, the location of Fustat was chosen by a bird: A dove laid an egg in the tent of 'Amr ibn al-'As, the Muslim conqueror of________, just before he was to about to attack. His camp at that time was just north of the Roman fortress of Babylon. • Amr declared this as a sign from God, and the tent was left untouched as he and his troops went off to battle. When they returned victorious, Amr told his
• The term originated in the game of bridge. Charles Jones, in Hoyle's Games Improved, 1814 explained what X are in bridge: • "These declarations will supersede that of Boston [winning the first six tricks] simply... The highest, called X, is undertaking to get 13 tricks." • Baseball borrowed X where a X is a
• In the semis I meet X. He’s a flying jumping bean, a bundle of hyperkinetic energy, with the tour’s quickest hands. Still, he’s never learned to hit a tennis ball. He hits offspeed, hacks,chips, lobs — he’s the Brad of Bombay. Then, behind all his junk, he flies to the net, covers so well that it seems to work. After an hour, you feel as if he hasn’t hit one ball cleanly — and yet he’s beating you
Leander Paes, Atlanta
â€˘ After his novel The Dragon in the Sea was published in 1957, he traveled to Florence, Oregon, at the north end of the Oregon Dunes. Here, the United States Department of Agriculture was attempting to use poverty grasses to stabilize the damaging sand . Y claimed in a letter to his literary agent, Lurton Blassingame, that the moving sands could "swallow whole cities, lakes, rivers, highways." Y's article "They Stopped the Moving Sands", was never completed but its research sparked Y's interest in ecology. â€˘ Y dedicated his work now named X "to the people whose labors go beyond ideas into the realm of 'real materials'â€”to the dry-land ecologists, wherever they may be, in whatever time they work, this effort at
DUNE- FRANK HERBERT
Name the author of these works.
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Earth Unaware Earth Afire Earth Awakens First Meetings ________________ ________________ A War of Gifts Shadow of the Hegemon Shadow Puppets Shadow of the Giant ________________ Shadows in Flight Speaker for the Dead Xenocide Children of the Mind Shadows Alive
ORSON SCOTT CARD • ENDER’S GAME WALA.
• It is established that the _____ was presented to X by President Franklin D. Roosevelt The _____ is created by a metallurgist named Myron MacLain. • During one of his experiments to fuse a vibration absorbing metal with an experimental iron alloy, MacLain falls asleep and awakens to find the experiment a success. This is due to an unknown catalyst entering the process during his slumber, and he is unable to duplicate the result. The mix is then poured into a mold for a tank's upper hatch to create the disc shape and painted to become X’s symbol.
• Captain America’s Shield
• Spider-Ham is an anthropomorphic parody of Spiderman, who has his own series of Marvel comics. • His alter ego is a play on Spiderman’s alter ego. • What is it?
â€˘ Peter Porker
1 • The Crips and The Bloods were rivals street gangs in Los Angeles. • In an attempt to foster peace between them, and increase the authenticity of production, a particular musician had members of both bands star together in a music video. • Which music video?
• Michael Jackson’s Beat It
2 â€˘ The man in the image initially wanted to call his group The X but later changed his mind and called his The Y. Another music group decided to use the name he discarded, in honour of him. Identify X.
• X – The Beatles • Y – The Crickets
• ID PERSON
• WHICH COMPANY?
BARNES AND NOBLE