Visitors Guide 2017
Population: 2,762 • Located on U.S. Highways 67/377 at the intersections of U.S. Highways 84/183. Early is within 100 miles of Abilene and San Angelo.
west of Brownwood and the same distance south of Lake Brownwood. • The city was named for Samuel Bangs. He was given the land for his services as a printer in the 1836 Texas Revolutionary War.
band of Tonkawa Indians who had been caught in a downpour and had spread their blankets over sumac bushes near the creek for protection. Later, the name was transferred to the community that developed on its banks.
• Located in eastern Brown County, 15 miles northeast of Brownwood on U.S. Highway 67/377.
• Located approximately 17 miles outside of Brownwood on FM 586.
• Located in west central Brown County, is on U.S. Highway 67/84 about 10 miles
• Blanket Creek was named in 1852 by a group of surveyors who came upon a
• Named for Walter U. Early, who donated land for the first Early schools.
• Named by David Smith in 1902, in honor of Brownwood banker Brooke Smith.
Population: 285 • Located at the intersection of U.S. Highway 183 North and Farm Road 1689. • Nathan L. May started a store at the site in 1879, and in 1881 a post office was established with May as postmaster. May was a station on the Brownwood North and South Railway from 1907 to 1927.
ZEPHYR Population: 198
• Located on U.S. Highways 84 and 183, 12 miles east of Brownwood in southeast Brown County. • The town was supposedly named in 1850 by land surveyors after they were trapped there by a blue norther. Their ironic name for the fierce wind stuck, and the town was named Zephyr.
Geographic center of the state
• In 1909, a tornado demolished the town, leaving more than 30 people dead and many injured. Rebuilding followed, and the population in 1940 was 750.