Page 1



Issue No 66


Chewin t Cud Volunteers

Dec June-2013

Tea-In-The-Park - Saturday 13th July 2013

Drawing by Ronnie Neville

Grimethorpe Cooling Tower - Going Going Gone - Demolition 22nd Jan 1993, 11am

Cudworth Probus Club Formation and West End Club It was felt that there was a need in Cudworth for the formation of a Probus Club. Permission was sought for the first meeting to be held on Wednesday 2 nd December 1981 at 10:30am at the West End Club on St. Johns Road. What is Probus? Briefly, it is a group of retired gentlemen who meet regularly to enjoy each others company and fellowship, it is definitely non sectarian and non political. Coffee is served prior to the meeting starting at 10:30am and after the speaker has finished and any other business discussed it closes around noon. Guest speakers are asked along to talk on various subjects, occasionally a film is shown, or maybe just a discussion on topics of interest. After a speaker has finished, it is question time on the speaker’s subject. Visits are arranged to places of interest, with members friends invited. Mr. John Driver (who was a member of the Rotary Club of Hemsworth) and Mr. Gerald Ashton are among two of the founder members who proposed and helped with the forming of the first meeting, the club has been in existence now for 31 years and is still going strong. Some of the gentlemen who attended the first meeting were in fact already Probus Club members from the Hemsworth, South Elmsall and Barnsley clubs, who came along to support the formation. At the end of the clubs first year of existence, Hemsworth Rotary Club provided the “Jewel of Office” to Cudworth Probus Club. Names of some of the gentlemen invited to the first meeting were – Mr. H. Brown | Mr. Noble | Mr. Rhodes | Mr. Ansell | Mr. Williams | Mr. Gough. | Mr. Wright | Mr. Clark Mr. E. Silverwood | Mr. W. Penny | Mr. G. Schorah | Mr. L. Mosley | Mr. S. Brazier | Mr. E. Fenton | Mr. H. Wardle | Mr. A. Burton | Mr. B. Halstead | Mr. L. Sagar | Mr. W. Baxendale | Mr. T. Burns | Mr. H. Schorah | Mr. S. Bristow | Mr. J. Evans | Mr. G. Brant Mr. J. Wooton. It is interesting to note how many Cudworth farmers, shop keepers and builders joined the club, when it was formed in 1981. Mr. Noble owned a shop on Snydale Road, Mr. Gough’s address was Co-op House, Co-operative Street and most people today know the names and locations of two of the farmers who both had shops in Cudworth and also the builder’s names. Mr. Baxendale’s farm was situated in Church Street, Brierley and was called Hall Farm, being close to the Brierley Hall. The West End Club has kindly provided a clubroom to hold the Probus Club meetings free of charge for the last 31 years; it is a sublime gesture from them, the Probus Club are very grateful to all the club officials for allowing this to continue to this day. Thanks go to the present day steward Mr. Mark Shelley, the Secretary, Mr. Vin Horner and all the committee members for their kind support. Mr. John Driver kindly provided the information and documentation of the club. Club member. Alan Curtis.

Chewin t Cud Volunteers The Committee have to find the money to finance the cost of the magazine and rely on advertising to bring some of that money in, if you would like to advertise let us know, the cost is: Full Page £30 (Each Issue) Half Page £20 (Each Issue)


Donation: from Cudworth Probus Club. By means of raffle tickets purchased by members, donation from members and a £10 donation from the club funds, £43 was raised by the club for research into “Prostate Cancer”. 40.000 men per year in the UK are diagnosed with the disease and funding is urgently needed to detect early diagnosis, better treatment and also research to help more men survive. The cancer charity has been badly underfunded for many years and has expressed its appreciation for the donation from the club. Alan Curtis. Dear Chewin ‘t’ Cud I am sorry to have to tell you little Mary has passed away she was 92 years old and the last five years of her life were spent in Belle Green Court Nursing Home. She was well cared for and Ann her niece and I saw she had all she needed. Mary Madden was her real name, a quiet lady. She sat in her chair in the corner doing word search until she got fed up, this was about three weeks before she passed away in her sleep. Bob Wallie, would come every Sunday to say prayers and bless her, which was a great comfort to her. I shall miss her, but love life and little Mary my book of poems will last forever. She’s in with her mother and father in Cudworth Church yard her last wish. So sleep well little Mary God will take care of you now love Carol. LITTLE MARY Little Mary’s in the church yard Lying with her Mam and Dad Ann made sure there was room for her That upset me, made me sad I miss you Little Mary We never got to say, “Good bye” I hope you are in Heaven

Somewhere up in the sky. Do they have word search in heaven I hope you have a comfy chair When I look up at the stars I’ll be thinking of you up there. Good Night sleep tight By Carol Handley

Funding for ‘Cud’

We have been awarded a generous sum

Community First

From Thank You Chewin t Cud Volunteers The views and opinions expressed in this Magazine do not necessarily reflect those of the publishing Committee. Chewin t Cud Volunteers are an entirely independent group and they and Chewin t Cud magazine are not affiliated in any way with any other organisation either locally or nationally. Chewin t Cud Volunteers hold the copyright on Chewin t Cud Magazine. The Editor of Chewin t Cud Magazine reserves the right to edit any material submitted for publishing in Chewin t Cud. 3

South Yorkshire Times Rock Cinema 27th June 1930 To those apparently depressed grumblers that go to make up the light and shade of any Yorkshire Village, it will be as well to state, right here, that Cudworth Village is not to be behind the times with regard to the entertainments provided within its area. Arrangements are well in hand for the installation of ‘talkies’ at the leading cinema house. The very best and latest improvements are incorporated in the set projected, and what this means is a revelation to those to whom the first attempts to digest American ‘canned pictures’ left a distinct prejudice as to what is popularly known as ‘talkies.’

Cudworth will also house patrons of the silent films in the old Palace Cinema lower down the hill. The acid test of box office will soon show as to whether the speaking screen boom is over or not. The list of bookings promised should be an asset to Cudworth’s tradesmen generally, as there will now be no excuse to travel to Barnsley, Wakefield or Doncaster. (The Palace Cinema referred to in this article burned down at 3am on 29th November 1930. It was located where the Star bus stop is now) Cinema Manager Leaving 23rd February 1952 A fine record of service to the cinema-going public of Cudworth ends tomorrow, when Mr. Ernest Organ of 169 Barnsley Road, manager of the Rock Cinema, relinquishes the appointment he has held for 26 years-ever since the theatre was opened-to take up other work. As a servant of three generations of film fans, Mr. Organ has studied their tastes with care and has come to the conclusion that they have not changed much through the years. ‘A good Gangster or Western film 4

continues to be the most popular.’ Although the fans’ choice of films has not changed in the last quarter of a century, other aspects have altered. You could get a seat for 5d in the good old days, but now it costs 9d for instance. A thing about which Mr. Organ is particularly proud of the accident free record of the cinema while in his charge. Only twice has a breakdown made it impossible for the show to go on and only once has there had to be an emergency evacuation of the house. That was on the Sunday evening when Sheffield was blitzed. A concert was in progress and the promoters felt it wiser to abandon the show. Supplied by Cliff Gorman Danny's Cuderth connections.... Granville 'Danny' Clarke F.R.S.A. Born in Keighley - the only child of James Edward and Emma Clarke who came to Cudworth when his father secured a job on Cudworth Urban District Council as foreman on the gas supply for Cudworth. They were supplied with a council house and lived at 55 Birkwood Avenue, (5 doors from former council leader Hedley Salt). Danny was educated at Snydale Road Primary School and Cudworth Secondary Modern School - he refused the offer to go to Barnsley Grammar School - as his widowed mother could not afford the costs. He wanted to be an artist and with a good school report was interviewed by a West Riding Employment Officer in Hemsworth - who had a remit to encourage local lads to join 'their mates darn pit!! (Grimethorpe Colliery) paying twice the amount of any other job available - £5.00 per week - with a day release at college. The nearest 'artistic' opening available was as an apprentice painter and decorator for a local man called Harold Bannister – on the Newtown Estate Cudworth; working a 46 hour week for £2-4shillings and a penny!! With a day release at Barnsley College of Art to learn signwriting - graining - marbling - and drawing - the skills laid down by the Victorians and Royal Society of the arts inspired course - the City Guilds of London in 1874 - the first opportunity for allowing education for the working classes; which Danny passed with a 1st class hon. - in the three year course and enjoyed painting some of Cudworth's shop signs including Mellor’s Newsagents, Shepherd’s Wool Shop, where Mike Parkinson’s mother Freda used to buy her wool to knit pullovers and sweaters - winning national competitions (featured in Mikes book) - also Kaye’s General Stores, Darfield Road Fisheries and Jackie Cope’s travelling van - different artistic creations that brightened up Cudworth and Darfield Road. Mr Bannister and Danny painted and decorated many of Cudworth’s fine houses until Harold’s original apprentice friend came back out of the army following National Service - Philip Merry and Harold could not afford to keep two employees so Danny moved to Pemberton and Butchers - a bigger decorating firm based on Barnsley Road, Cudworth - next door to Harold Waite the hairdresser and the rest as they say is an on-going history and where we came in. Further details on Danny’s biography can be located on his website 5

1. 2. 3. 4. 5.

Riddles. A murderer is condemned to death. He has to choose between three rooms. The first is full of raging fires. The second is full of assassins with loaded guns. The third is full of Lions that haven`t eaten for 3 years. Which room is safest for him? A woman shoots her husband. Then she holds him under water for 5 minutes. Finally, she hangs him. Five minutes later they both go out and enjoy a meal together. How can this be? What is black when you buy it, red when you use it, and grey when you throw it away? Can you name three consecutive days without using the words Monday, Wednesday, or Friday? This is an unusual paragraph. I`m curious as to just how quickly you can find out what is so unusual about it. It looks so ordinary and plain that you would think nothing was wrong with it. In fact nothing is wrong with it. It is highly unusual though. Study it and think about it, but you still may not find anything odd. If you work at it a bit, you might find out. Try to do so without coaching.

Sent by Mrs June Arthurs. (Nee Green.) 1.

2. 3. 4. 5.


More Easier Riddles. A man lives in the Penthouse of an apartment building. Every morning he takes the elevator down to the lobby and leaves the building. When he returns however, he can only travel halfway up in the elevator and has to walk the rest of the way unless it is raining. Can you explain why? A man and his son are in a car crash. The father is killed and the child taken to hospital gravely injured. When he arrives the surgeon says, `I can`t operate on this boy, he is my son`!!! How can this possibly be? A girl who was just learning to drive, went down a one way street in the wrong direction, but didn`t break the law. How come? Two students are sitting on opposite sides of the same desk. There is nothing between them but the desk. Why can`t they see each other? A man marries twenty women in Cudworth but isn`t charged with Polygamy. Why? Answers on page 12

The Willows. By Gordon Bird 28/06/09 Listen to silence in valleys Listen hear the sounds in the hills. See the snow on top of a mountain. Just listen The most beautiful tunes in the hills. Notes so low you can feel them Notes so high you could scream Tunes you can hear flowing water Now Close your eyes and just dream. Dancing trees in the valleys The magical tunes she can play Listen

Tunes that she plays on the hillside Different sounds that she plays in the dales Peace of the day she will shatter The lightening then thunder will roll Like the roll of the drums in the distance The lightening just flashing away Just listen. Her thunderous tunes she still plays. Tunes she will play in the sunlight The most beautiful tunes in the night Just listen I've heard the wind In the willows I listen Different tunes she will play

Mothering Sunday at St John’s Each year on Mothering Sunday the Church is transformed by hundreds of candles burning brightly on every available surface, each one a prayer for a Mother or a loved one of someone in the community. Mothering Sunday candles have become quite a tradition in Cudworth and everyone knows our Audrey and Florence now, I think they enjoy a pub crawl around the village and a game of Bingo, (any winnings go straight in the kitty.) This year they collected an amazing £1,394.50 which really helps the Church’s finances. A big thank you to them and to all of you who bought candles. Brenda Brightmore. Chewin t Cud on CD-ROM As a result of the demand for back copies of the magazine we now have a complete set of the magazines, available on CD. Price of CD £3.50. The price being: UK £3.50 plus £2.50 post and package = £6. America, Canada, Australia £3.50 plus £5.00 to cover bank charges plus £3.00 post and package = £11.50. Prices for other areas of the world please contact us. For our overseas readers: When we present a cheque to the bank in any other currency than Sterling we are charged for the transaction. 7

Monkey Tunnel In answer to Gillian Goldthorpe’s e-mail in the previous edition of Chewin t’ Cud about the Monkey Tunnel. The tunnel built in 1953 was built under Woodmoor 4 & 5 Colliery railway sidings for the mineworkers to gain access to the pit from Cudworth. Largely before car ownership was the norm walking to the pit from Cudworth was a daily trudge for hundreds of miners coming on and off shift.

Cliff in tunnel

Ralph Hibbert entrance to Monkey tunnel

Yes Gillian and Rita the tunnel is still in situ to the west of the Midland Railway, but since it was covered over with top soil in 1974 and trees planted, it has been inaccessible to the public. The pit closed in 1970 and the tunnel was no longer required. However, about six months ago someone removed enough soil and ash from the entrance on the Cudworth side to allow cramped and limited access once again. Driven by curiosity Ralph Hibbert and Chris Parkin gained entrance to the tunnel in November to see what it was like inside. Two weeks later I was seconded by Ralph to walk the entire tunnel to take photographs of the interior for the Cudworth Local History Group. Once inside I was bowled over by the excellent condition of the tunnel. It was just as I remembered it as a youth. The walls were dry and there was little debris on the floor space. We required a torch because the roof lights were long gone, but as we approached the bend at the far end Ralph’s torch batteries began to fail. I had to hang on to his coat tails as it was becoming pitch black. It doesn’t take long to become disorientated in darkness. After turning the corner, some 100 yards ahead of us was the blocked off entrance into Carlton Pit 8

yard, which prevented us from going any further. Tons of rubble had been deposited there to prevent the public from gaining access from that end. As an after thought we decided to inform the local authority, as it could be dangerous to children playing there. If you do visit the area again I would be more than happy to show you where the tunnel is. Cliff Gorman for Cudworth Local History Group o-0-o Hello Malc In response to Gillian Goldthorpe regarding the Monkey Tunnel. I am sure that she was looking in the correct place for the tunnel. The foot path from Cudworth Park to the Carlton Long Row Houses near Carlton Main Colliery passed through the tunnel as it went under the railway sidings and part of the colliery grounds. The tunnel was over 100 yards long and was maintained by the colliery for the use of men walking to work from Cudworth. It was still useable as late as 1971 when I lived in Cudworth, Carlton Main Colliery was closed by then. The area of the colliery and railway sidings has now been cleared and the tunnel has been blocked off or bulldozed out of existence. Regards Richard Watson – e-mail o-0-o In the March issue, Gillian Goldthorpe of Texas, USA asks about the Monkey Tunnel at the rear of Cudworth Park. I think the tunnel she couldn`t find was part of the pathway to Wharncliffe Woodmoor 4 & 5 Colliery at Carlton, which was closed in the 1970s. The tunnel was about 80 to 90 yards long and had a bend in it, and it went beneath the railway sidings. There was a stone built in to the brickwork at the pit yard end of the tunnel stating the date of construction, which was 1953. Both ends of the tunnel were blocked off with tons of earth at the closure of the colliery in the 1970s. Albert Wood.

o-0-o Re-entry in ‘Chewin t Cud, issue 65 regarding Gillian Goldthorpe’s search for the Monkey Tunnel. I used this tunnel as a means to get to work, as I worked at Carlton Park in 1964. It started beside the railway under a big iron bridge that was the Hull & Barnsley line and entered in the pit yard at Warncliffe Woodmoor 4 & 5 Colliery. Hope this information will be some help! Bill Osborn PHOTOGRAPHS THAT YOU SEND FOR CHEWIN T CUD MAGAZINE. If possible can you please send the original photographs for Chewin t Cud Magazine publication. The reason is, if you send a copy of the originals the quality is not as good. If requested the original photographs will be returned to you (please send S.A.E.) With Thanks:- Malc Pierrepont 9

ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CUDWORTH This year is a very special year in the life of the Parish Church - for some of you of course the Centenary of the Parish back in 1993 was a wonderful experience, but seeing as I didn't appear on the Cudworth scene until 1997, you might perhaps forgive me for speaking about something of the last 20 years of our Parish's life and witness in the Community it was given to serve. Any anniversary is an opportunity for looking back and also of looking forward as well - for that is the nature of our existence. The last 20 years saw some highlights and of course alongside that there were some sadness’s. My immediate predecessor Father David Glover after much thought and prayer and soul searching followed his wife into the Roman Catholic Church - one or two other members of the congregation followed him and were wished well in their new ecclesial homes. Then came a two year interregnum when the Parish was ably served by Fr Letall a retired priest who maintained the Sunday Mass and midweek Masses and the funerals, weddings and baptisms. In 1997, just after my 40th birthday I was licensed as Priest-in-Charge of Cudworth by the Bishop of Beverley acting on behalf of the Bishop of Wakefield - this was a bitter-sweet day as I was coming home to Yorkshire but leaving behind the many friends priests and lay people in South Wales where I had served as a priest since my Ordination in the early 1980's. So coming home for me was a good thing, my parents and two of my siblings lived nearby - well 20 odd miles away - but considerably closer than they had been when I lived in Wales. The Parish had clear ideas about the priest they wanted - someone who would involve himself in the life of the local community and especially with the schools of the Parish - and everything else which a Parish Priest should do in the daily round of services etc. So those early days were days of introducing myself to the schools and the other agencies in the area; getting to know the local Councillors and the Police and Doctors - indeed anyone who was involved in the life of the Parish I tried to get to see and to break down in some instances great opposition to the presence of a Priest on some of the committees which I eventually found myself on. The Cudworth and West Green Partnership was something I was involved with - although it seems such a long time since I finished working on that - there were positive things which came from that working environment which were beneficial to the Village and Parish; the Schools were a priority for me then and they are today - I serve on all three Governing Bodies of the Schools in the Parish; I hope I am a friend and help to the Heads and their Staff, but more importantly that the children of our Parish know who their priest is and when I go into school it is quite humbling to receive the clear affection of the children and staff - so perhaps the Church in Cudworth is doing something right! With all Victorian buildings there is always work to be done to the fabric, and S John's was no different and I can remember running around with buckets one Friday morning as water seeped into the Church - clearly the roof needed seeing to! So early on in my Incumbency we embarked on the re-roofing of the Church roof - some £85,000 worth of slate - some of which was stolen during the process of the re-roofing, but nevertheless the work was completed, with many thanks to the people of the Parish who bought slates from members 10

of the congregation and along with a few private donations the rest was found from Parish funds to complete this massive work, which will protect the Church for many decades to come. However this posed another problem because 108 years worth of dust and muck came tumbling down which meant that we really did need to re-decorate the Church - which was another massive endeavour - ÂŁ68,000 worth of work there as well - scaffolding everywhere, yet the finished product was worthwhile and the wooden ceiling painted a beautiful blue and the roundels picked out in red and green paint and the roses on the ceiling in gold leaf - the Mass was still offered, and all the other services which needed to take place, took place and another task completed - no money borrowed, but worked for and raised by a tremendously positive congregation - who were looking to the future and not to the past! The flooring beneath the carpet tiles was a beautiful parquet flooring which showed signs of wet rot, which the Architect clearly wanted removing before it turned to dry rot, which would have had catastrophic effects on the whole building, so the floor was taken up and a mastic floor replacing it again at a cost of about ÂŁ8,000 once again the Parishioners raised the money and they provided a future floor which will last for years to come. Like many places in which the Church refers to as 'Urban Priority Areas' there is always the easy target for people to abuse the building and it became necessary to protect the windows - some of which is spectacular coloured glass - one of which is by Francis Stephens - of the Arts and Crafts movement of the last century depicting St John the Baptist, a beautiful window, but a target for pellet guns and stones - so we protected all the windows with an acetate cover again these things don't come cheap - but cheaper than replacing simply priceless glass. Fr Brumpton of course was one of the priests still remembered in Cudworth - his massive eye brows frightening many a child, his strong voice putting the fear of God into many - yet he was simply a great man of God and after his death we had an Altar made in his memory and one of the last things Bishop John Gaisford did as Bishop of Beverley was to come to Cudworth and to Consecrate the altar, which is something that doesn't often happen; yet here in this small Village Church this was something of note and of value, linking us today with the same offering which Fr Brumpton and the people of the Village did in his day, that is the offering every day of the Mass. The daily Mass is I believe the strength of Cudworth the majority of people living in the Village will know something is happening when the bell rings every morning at about 9:20am for 33 times, reminding people that the Mass will be offered in 10 minutes time, and as a reminder to get a spurt on and get to Church for it. This offering for the Mass is offered for everyone who lives in Cudworth, whether they believe in God or not, whether they are Christian or not - our hopes and aspirations as a community are presented before God, as so often we can do nothing on our own and acknowledging that God is the one in Charge! 11

The most recent work we have done is the provision of the Church and Community Hall, which was built through a very generous benefaction given to St John's some years ago for this very purpose, but alongside many other projects we had hoped to have provided something greater than we have through match funding with the National Lottery - however it seems the London Olympics beat us, along with projects from Grimethorpe and Lundwood at the same time. So we had to go back to the drawing board and find something else - and on 6 January 2012 Bishop Anthony Robinson, the Bishop of Pontefract solemnly blessed and opened the Hall for use - it has been a huge blessing to us as a Parish, but we hope it will be to you the wider public as well. This Community and Church Hall is already used by an outreach group from St Helen's, Athersley, offering support and help on welfare and debt issues alongside other things; we already have a drop in Baby Group which has proved so successful; there have been concerts - one recently for Chewin' t Cud - and we hope that many more will come and see the beauty of the building itself. There are of course other things that I could mention - the renovation of the Cenotaph thanks to the Local History Group for example and the provision of the name of Captain Driver among our War Dead - which came about as a work of collaboration between the Local History Group, the Parish and the Diocese and other interested parties in the Parish that was a sad day in our Parish's life, but an example of bravery and courage and of service, which has long been the hallmark of our military, Martin is no exception. St John's is your Parish Church, and I hope that in the week commencing 24th June until the 29th people will come to Church to look around, see the Vestments, then Windows, look at the Registers, see the Hall and just take time to come and say thank you for a building which has stood on the top of that hill for 120 years and which, God willing will do so for many a long year to come. Thank you for your support - we do appreciate it fully and be assured that the prayers of this Church Community will be offered for your intentions for a long time to come. Father David Churches’ 120th Anniversary in June 2013 Answers to the Riddles. 1. The third room, Lions that haven’t eaten for 3 years are dead. 2. The woman was a photographer. (Shot the picture, developed it, hung it to dry, after holding it under water.) 3. Charcoal used on the barbecue. 4. Yesterday, today, and tomorrow. 5. The letter E, which is the most common vowel used in the English language, does not appear even once in the paragraph. 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 12

Answers to more Riddles. The man is a Dwarf with a umbrella. (He can`t reach the top button) The Surgeon is the boys Mother. She was walking down the street. Both are blind. It`s Father David.

Barnsley Rotary Choir: Concert. The choir provided a concert, which was held at Cudworth St John’s Church Hall on Wednesday 13th March 2013. The proceeds are in aid of the Chewin t Cud magazine. Mr. Keith Ellis, with his jokes and the choir provided a magnificent two hours of entertainment, our thanks from the Chewin t Cud Volunteers go to them all including the pianist and conductor.

Special thanks go to Father David for allowing the use of the Church Hall and the facilities of the building and also the church warden, Rita Bateman, for all her help during the concert. The proceeds with the entrance fee and raffle amounted to £372.50, after a donation of £30 to the Barnsley Hospice, a total of £342.50 was left in aid of the magazine to help with the printing and other costs. Thanks go to all the people who supported the event by providing raffle prizes and cakes etc for the refreshments, also thanks to Florence Whittlestone, Brenda Brightmore and Jean Curtis for their work in the kitchen, (a good team) and all the other people who helped organise the event. Alan Curtis. Darfield Road - Prefabs. The volunteers would like to ask if anyone has photo`s, or can send their memories of the prefabs that were situated where Westhaven is now. We believe that they were erected in the mid forties, but as to date we have been unable to source any photographs. If you can provide any information, it would be gratefully received. Thank you, The Volunteers.

Any articles, photographs or advertisements for the

Sept 2013 issue of the magazine to reach us before

31st July 2013 13

Carlton Marsh Nature Reserve (February – April) Our dedicated observers continually braved the elements during this very cold period to monitor and record the wildlife. March was the coldest since 1962. Here are their verified sightings; February 20 Siskins were feeding on Alder tree seed on the 8 th and 5 Water Rails were calling on the 12th. Rod Heeley photographed a Bittern on the dike at Bleachcroft Farm on the 17th and 6 Waxwings were feeding on Cotoneaster berries in Valley Park on the 18th. 3 wintering Whooper Swans, Iceland bound, flew north on the 21 st. Meanwhile a female Blackcap visited my Cudworth garden from 28 th Jan – 1st Feb and again for last time on the 9th to feed on fat balls. March A Pipistrelle bat was flying at dusk on the 2nd and two last years’ Harvest Mouse nests were discovered on the 7th during scrub clearance. 6 Buzzards were in the air together on the 19th and our first returning Chiffchaff on the 29th was very late because of the severe weather conditions. A pair of Longtailed tits had completed their nest by the end of the month after delaying for bad weather. 40 Skylarks were grounded on surrounding fields on 23rd and a Short eared Owl was quartering over the Western Meadow as a Woodcock flew in at dusk on the 31 st and a kingfisher was present throughout. Water Vole, Fox and Weasel, were the most notable mammals to be seen. Away from the reserve a Waxwing visited Les Corrall’s garden in White Cross Road on the 3rd and 36 were feeding on Rose hips at the same location on the 15th. 30 Whooper Swans flew NW over Newtown, Cudworth at 16.30hrs on the 19 th followed by 12 more North on the 25th. April

Two Short-eared Owls were present on the 2nd and a Woodcock and 3 Buzzards were seen on the 6 th. They were followed by 2 Grey Wagtails on the 7th, 3 Willow Warblers, a Swallow and a male Brimstone Butterfly on the 13th and 3 Sand Martins on the 14th. After 16 days of cold Easterly winds the wind finally swung round to the S. West allowing the first southerly based migrants to return. Wild flowers were reluctant to bloom, however the first flowering Daffodils and Cowslips were on display from the latter part of the first week. Fox, Weasel, Grey Squirrel, Hare and Water Vole were seen during this period.

Away from the reserve 34 Waxwings were feeding on Cotoneaster berries on the 9 th in a garden on Silverstone Avenue, Cudworth and the following day at Valley Park. 30 were feeding in Cudworth Park on the 12th and 13th near the bowling green and 21 were back at Silverstone Avenue on the 14th. (K. Bannister & D. Standish). Also on the 14th a male Blackcap was feeding on fat balls in my Newtown garden. News from the British Trust for Ornithology provided the following bird ringing recoveries. 14

Sedge Warbler X076077 was ringed at Carlton Marsh as a juvenile on the 6/8/2011 and was re-trapped and later released en route to Africa the following year, on the 12/8/2012 at Mars-Quest, Saint-Philbert-de-Grand-Lieu, Loire Atlantique, France. 728 kms South (372 days later). This was our 5th foreign Sedge Warbler recovery and the third from the Loire Valley. The other two were in Spain and Lanzarotte. Wood Pigeon FC06382 a juvenile ringed in the Orchard of Red Brick House, Carrs Lane, Cudworth on the 24/7/2011 and was found dead in Taunton, Somerset on the 3/2/2013. 306 kms SSW (560 days later). The orchard is juxtaposition my garden, and thanks to Mrs Micklethwaite and son Neil, I was able to ring lots of birds of several species over the past 20 years. I only ringed two Wood pigeons in the orchard that year so to learn of one moving so far was quite unexpected. My thanks go out to David M. Smith who has partnered me for the past 30 years ringing the birds of Carlton Marsh and elsewhere. Dave has decided to hang up his ringing pliers for the last time. Cliff Gorman Wildlife Recorder National Savings Social Evening Do you recognise anybody?

Mrs Sidlow | Mrs Ramsdon | Mrs Warrington | Mrs Corns | Mrs Key | Mrs Dewsnap Mrs Bagnall | Mrs Haigh | Mrs Arold | Mrs Austwick. Photo supplied by Linda Creasey (nee Bagnall) 15

M e l l o r ’s N e w s a g e n t s Agent for

Berry’s Dry Cleaning

Newspaper Delivered to

Your Homes

Good Selection of

Greeting Cards

239 Barnsley Road Cudworth tel:- 01226 710598


Ne w El ect roni c Cigs fro m M ello r ’s Ne wsage nts 239 B ar nsle y R oad , Cud wo rth


CUDWORTH BORN AND BRED Memoirs of a Yorkshire Lad (Part 2) SCHOOLDAYS As they generally do, the years sped by quickly and it was time for me to start my schooling adventures. I started school at Pontefract Road Infants in Cudworth in September 1938, no doubt to the ecstatic delight of the teachers. Up to this point I was becoming a miniature terrorist to some local people and I was, in their eyes, badly in need of education and more particularly, discipline which was most likely true to a certain extent. The headmistress was Miss Jean Brown, who later went to live in South Africa. (I can assure readers that her reason for emigration had nothing to do with me but could understand it if it was!). Miss Brown was a very nice, kindly person and often she would ask one or two of us to help her after school in her house which was situated behind the school in Royston Lane. I believe she was relieved by Miss Robinson and I don’t think that I was particularly keen on her because she wore glasses; such is in the mind of a bairn. From the Infants School I transferred to the adjacent Junior School The lessons in school that I liked (to be more precise – the only lessons in school that I liked), was when it was time to play the musical instruments and - when the warmer weather permitted - was in the afternoons of the early summer in 1939 we would take fold-up beds out into the playground and have a snooze for an hour or thereabouts. With the band instruments, the lucky kids got the most-desired items – the drums, some got the ‘clappers’ whilst others ended up with the dreaded triangles. You can probably imagine the din that the teachers had to put up with. Whilst at this school I think I must have been the cause of a bank security alert as one day upon my return from the outside toilet in the playground I passed the staff room where the door was open wide and there on the table I spotted heaps of pennies which were the takings of savings with the school bank. There was nobody around so I nonchalantly strolled into the staff room and filled my pockets with the heaps of gold. 18

Back in the classroom a little while later a few of us were chalking on the blackboard when suddenly I surprised a girl standing next to me by asking her if she would like a penny which I gave to her. (This move probably saved me from a long stretch in Alcatraz but this wasn’t realised at the time). The excitement of other kids also wanting me to give them a penny drew the attention of the teacher who suspected that something odd was afoot for a Gibson to be dishing out lolly as there were no Lottery Jackpots to be had in those days. So consequently I was quietly grilled regarding the source of this sudden influx of wealth. “I found it there Miss”, said I pointing to the staff room and fully expecting to become the recipient of twenty lashes whilst being tied to a climbing frame in the schoolyard. This didn’t occur as I suppose the staff were only too pleased in the end to discover that no cash was missing and therefore the need for an embarrassing enquiry was averted. Nothing further was said and I didn’t need a supply of salt to rub into my anticipated wounds, the matter ended there but I expect my movements were closely monitored after that. I never did see any cash on display after this incident and the day ended with me walking home with a halo around my head and a good feeling of undetected daylight robbery existed in my young mind with the plan forming for the ‘loan’ of the Crown Jewels for future reference. There was a brick-built coke shed near the back entrance to the school which was designated to become the school kitchens where our dinners were cooked. Coke that used to be housed there under cover was afterwards stored in the playground between the Infants and Junior Schools close to the boiler house alongside the Junior School. The caretaker was Mr. Williamson who lived in the first house next to the Junior School on Pontefract Road. Behind the Infants School was an air-raid shelter partially sunk into the ground and the school used to exercise mock air raids and later, real alerts? I used to like going down into the shelter as each kid would receive a Nuttall’s Mintoe from a big round tin provided for such emergencies. During an alert you were only allowed to go home provided that a parent or an adult came to escort you but I don’t recall ever being kept later than 4:30pm which on one occasion was the time that the ‘all clear’ was sounded. I disliked school tremendously and would often feign illness at every opportunity, (which in my case wasn’t very hard to do as I often looked ‘whammy’ and frail), my attendance record read like a Frankenstein horror story. On one of the occasions I persuaded my mam to let me accompany her to see my brother and sister who were at school and would be in the playground at playtime. I was spotted by the teacher who fetched the attendance register and said, “Look here Mrs. Gibson, nought, nought, and nought, come on with me Clarence you should be in school”. At which she made a grab at me but I was off like a rocket down Pontefract Road with the teacher in hot pursuit but failed to capture me. I don’t know when I eventually returned to school but once my mam and my grandma dragged me there one afternoon. My distaste for school lasted throughout the years; maybe I thought that the few days that I did attend were sufficient to educate me to a happy standard. Perhaps it may have been a good thing that I didn’t go very often or perhaps this story may have been compiled by a top brain surgeon or a rocket scientist or even the Governor of the Bank of England 19

seeing that I had handled money at six years of age!!! There was an old gent who lived in King’s Road who was a keen photographer and loved to take photographs of children; I should think he took pictures of just about every kid who lived up the street and many more who lived around. When I was four years old he took a snap of me in Royston Lane when I was stood alongside one of the seats I’ve mentioned earlier and I was wearing white pumps, a white shirt and shorts. Down at my feet was a ball of white paper that always stands out in my mind, why I don’t know but I would dearly love to get hold of that picture again. In the wintertime when it was very icy we used to make a slide in the middle of the road in Crosby Street as it had a sloping stretch at the bottom where it joined Royston Lane and this allowed added momentum to our sliding efforts. It was usual for an older kid to stand halfway down the slide with his legs astride it, the idea being to see if we could go under his legs whilst doing the ‘little man’. As we went through he would give us a helping push to speed us on as we slid along to the end of the slide. How we never collided with a passing vehicle on Royston Lane was miraculous. Clarrie Gibson

Story to continue in next issue

Cudworth Church Magazine dated May 1926 found in Wall Cavity

While having the bricks replaced of the passage window in Moorland Terrace, belonging to Bill and Anita Thompson, the builder found in the cavity, a St John’s Church magazine, dated May 1926. Don Shenton


Article from Scotland Dear Editor, Two days ago my lady wife found an old copy (No 61) of your magazine lodged behind my desk and began to read to me. When she reached the article concerning "Lunn Road" the old memory buds went into overdrive, returning me, over many years, to number 25, there. The wonderful, welcoming home of the "Family Glover". The house was always bright and cheery, cosy and warm, with the often gentle aroma of freshly baked bread and cakes or gingerbread "girls and boys". The boys being jokingly depicted by an extra "wee dod" of gingerbread. In those days the oven for baking etc; was situated in the living room of the house, therefore a good warm fire was essential. To prevent accidents and safeguard the children it was essential to have, surrounding this area, a very substantially built fireguard. Upon this contraption the jovial Mr Albert Glover' would often lean, relaxing and smoking a cigarette whilst joshing his children or chatting with the affable Mrs Glover, who, with her smiling face and merry wit, would be sewing, darning, repairing or fashioning some garment for one or other of her family. The most important family member was, of course, the beautiful baby girl, Rita, who, despite her early years, was always up to some mischief; even to the one time surreptitious sampling of some fermenting homemade wine in the kitchen. You may guess the results! The big boy of the family was Brian; a sturdy kid, always ready to be helpful. He gave me a hand many times. I wonder will he still remember the song about "Casey who danced with the Strawberry Blonde"? We sang it together on the odd occasion. Next came the curly fair haired studious Betty, with her beautiful rosy cheeks. This lovely young girl seemed to be always reading or writing in her books. Contrasting with her sister's fairness was the raven haired Brenda, who had the twinkling eyes and ready wit of her Mum, and just as chatty too. The eldest of the family was the Bonnie Jean, who had the happy twinkling eyes of her Mum, plus the ready wit and humour of her Dad. A brilliant minded discerning young lady, with fully fixed ideas on her future. I recall she followed the creations of Edith Head, the Hollywood dress designer; favoured the shades of grey and maroon together and enjoyed the music of "Roses from the South". What a wonderfully! fascinating! family they were!! I was a young kid, then, striving to become a man so I joined The Royal Navy and did some "Bang Bang’ war stuff- in the North Atlantic and other Oceans. Luckily, during one very short run ashore, between convoys, I met the lovely young girl who was destined to become my Darling Wife of 68 years. We still kiss and hold hands no matter where we are and now, of course, she is my eyes. Together we have travelled the world but I have yet to meet a family as generously welcoming as "The Family Glover" of 25 Lunn Road, Cudworth. It would be grand to learn of their progress and successes over our short lives, but wherever they may be now I wish them, and all their families, plus, by now, of course, their family's family, oceans of luck, with fair winds for smooth sailing. Bill Corns - 03-13. 21

First Staff at Birkwood School

Standing from left: ? ? | Ann Whitmore Seated from left: ? ? | Flo Crudass | Adelaide Turpin (Head) | Nesta Stirton | Nora Richards

Teachers of Pontefract Road School - 1960


F r a n k B r a d l e y M A c h / p od C o mmu n it y Chi ropod y S e rvic e

10 Park Avenue Cudworth Barnsley To make appointments Phone Monday to Friday 5:30 to 6:30pm 01226 713715 Mob 0797 342 4020

Joanne Sagar Accounting Services Specialising in Small Businesses and the Self Employed     

Business Accounts and Taxation Tax Returns Book keeping, VAT and Payroll Fixed Fees agreed in advance Management Accounts

Call Joanne Sagar for a free initial discussion without obligation on 07722 795577 or email on 23

Letter from Scarborough by: Mr. Ken Holmes. Dear Malc. Thank you for sending me the Chewin t Cud magazine all these months (years in fact)! I’m only partially sighted so I have to write with extreme difficultly. I was 89 years old in May, so there’s not a great deal appearing in the magazine that is applicable to my time in Cudworth. I was born in Grimethorpe in 1924 and moved to Pinfold Cudworth in 1928 approximately. My Father had “Royd House” built (top of White Cross Road) next to Redferns and also next to what was my Sunday school, the “Primitive Methodist Chapel”, is it still there I wonder? In 1933 we moved to 240 Pontefract Road. Tommy Day (senior) moved into “Royd House” which incorporated two shops, Tommy died around 1948/9. Tommy Day (junior) took over but he may be dead and gone as he would be 90 years old by now. There was a younger sister named Barbara and an older one named Fena who married Granville Smith, they lived in the row of terraced houses as you go up High Royd. Brian Blomfield my friend lived in High Royd. Names that come to mind are – Clarence Sunderland who worked at the Co-op on Darfield Road, also Ivor Calverley who lost his life while serving in the RAF with Bomber Command. Another boy was Reggie Weetham and then nearby was the Sanderson family, Catherine and Barbara; their father had a small holding up Tippet Lane. I attended Snydale Road School Infant’s School from 1929 to 30 and then the Pond School, Mrs. Earnshaw was one of my teachers there. When I moved to Pontefract Road Junior school the Headmaster was Mr. Moorhouse and my class teacher was Mrs. Sellers who lived on Barnsley Road. Mr. Moorhouse lived a bit further down Pontefract Road than me opposite the (Dardanelles), the Cudworth hotel. One of my family’s friends was Kenneth Haigh who was the organist at the “Rock Cinema” and elsewhere. His mother was known to all of us as Granny Haigh! She lived in a house down a steep slope at the top of which was a shop owned by Mr. Race, he had a son named Gordon who was a clever boy and attended Barnsley Grammar School. I lived in Tokyo from 1959 to 1980. In 1964 I went to the Dai-Ica hotel in Shibuya downtown Tokyo to meet someone there, at a nearby table I heard English being spoken, I went over and to my surprise at the table were 5 or 6 members of the British Olympic team, including Dorothy Hyman and Mary Rand. I didn’t know Dorothy then, but when she mentioned Cudworth I took more interest and had a chat with her, it’s a small world! It seems Mary Rand married an American athlete and later on went to live in America. I’ll close now but perhaps you could mention my meeting with Dorothy in Tokyo in 1964 (a long time ago) when you meet her. Please except the cheque, it’s a small donation for the magazine. We left Pontefract Road, Cudworth and moved to Scarborough in 1935. Cheers and God bless to you all. Ken Holmes 24

Travel Centre (Barnsley) Ltd. A family owned and operated company, K.M. Motors is dedicated to providing quality coach tour holidays designed for your comfort and enjoyment. Following the success of our 2012 tour programme, we will be returning to favourite destinations such as Lake Garda, Alassio and Roses on the Continent and nearer home, the ever-popular British seaside resorts of Blackpool, Llandudno, Morecambe and the Isle of Wight to name just a few. Once again, our programme has been extended for 2013 to include exciting tours to the Cotswolds, Tynemouth, Worthing, Babbacombe, Bracklesham Bay and the Scottish Highlands. With more than forty years experience in arranging and operating British and European tours, you book your holiday safe in the knowledge that you will be travelling with a well-established, reliable operator and for your added piece of mind, our Fair Trading Agreement complies in full with the EC directive on package travel. Our promise is to offer a quality service that is second to none. From the moment you contact our friendly, highly trained staff, we aim to provide an exceptional standard of coaches and drivers plus good quality hotels at the right price. Booking your holiday couldn't be easier - we accept all major credit and debit cards so you can just give us a call and make your reservation by telephone, or why not call into our travel office where we accept cash and cheques. For a great value holiday and first-class service, give us a call on 01226 245564. We look forward to welcoming you on board. K Meynell Your Financial Security In order to comply with package and tour regulations and to protect clients pre-payments, all monies paid are held in a secure clients account and are controlled by independent persons. In accordance with EC directives, funds would be available to cover refunds and repatriation in the unlikely event that we should cease to trade, thus giving you complete security and peace of mind.

52 Market Street Barnsley S70 1SN Telephone 01226 245564 25

Gilbert Hibbert As reported in a previous issue of the Cud in the Cudworth Past section there was a story about Sgt Walter Hibbert M.M. what follows is a short story about his brother Gilbert from information supplied by Mary Gommersall and her sister Doris with additional information from Ralph Hibbert. Born in 1917 at Sidcop Road, Cudworth, at the age of 22 he joined the Royal Engineers on 15th May 1939. He was taken prisoner after just two weeks facing the Germans and spent the rest of the war as a P.O.W. He was in two long marches from one camp to another camp again known as Stalags. His POW number was XXID33 but no other info can be found. He was released and later demobbed on 7th January 1946 and later became a plumber. For a while after he first came home he would take bottles of milk off people’s doorsteps and take vegetables from gardens. He thought he needed to do it to survive. His mother had to make him take it all back. As a P.O.W under the Germans life was not a pleasant experience as we all now know as he would have been surviving on meagre rations to say the least. On his release from the prisoner of war camps Gilbert returned to his family in Sowerby Bridge. His condition was not very good being undernourished and under fed. His mother Ellen Hibbert (Nee Ellis) had seen three sons go off to war and was thankful to see them all return. His mother wrote a letter about three months after the war to her sister Rose Holmes (nee Ellis) the letter was about Gilbert and how since he had returned all he dreamt about and kept saying was how he would love to eat some fresh pork and as we know that was not available other than on ration. Rose took the letter to her sister Mary Ann Brinkley who when she finished reading it decided that he should have some home fed fresh pork. Mary said that they had an allotment which was at the top of Ibbott Street (this was the road which was at the side of the Pinfold Hotel) where they kept pigs. Walter, Arty and Willie (Bill) Ward at midnight went up to the allotment the pig was chosen and killed put on a barrow covered over so no one would see what was on the barrow and wheeled down to Mary Ann’s at 112 Darfield Road. Phil Barnard a local farmer then came and cut the pig up into joints. Mary Ann gave some of the offal, scrag end and liver to some of the neighbours Mrs Hughes, Mrs Salt and Mrs Harris as they used to save peelings and swill which was boiled up in the old set pot at the allotment and fed to the pigs. Ellen and Gilbert visited Cudworth shortly after on a Friday and they stayed a couple of days visiting family. When they left Walter walked to Cudworth Station with them and saw them off and they had with them two small suitcases containing plenty of the fresh home fed pork so Gilbert got his wish and no doubt enjoyed the pork he had dreamt of. Gilbert must have been in Poland as he could speak it fluently. Later he settled down and went to live in Callander in Scotland. He had married a girl from there just before the war or just before he went off to fight the Germans. After a few years he came back to Yorkshire to live at Sowerby Bridge. Gilbert was a nice quiet bloke on the few occasions that Ralph Hibbert met him. Gilbert died on 13th February 1992 aged about 75. Supplied by Mary, Doris and Ralph Happy 80th birthday, Mary 26

Railway Archive

Since retiring Rowland Nixon has gradually built up a unique collection of railway memorabilia. Rowland, a retired railwayman, worked for British Rail for 40 years until his retirement 12 years ago. He has worked on the former London Midland and Great Northern Railways, as well as the parcels office at Wakefield Kirkgate. His last job was at Grimethorpe Colliery as a shunter/signalman on the old Dearne Valley Railway. Having a lifelong interest in railways and locomotives he began to collect railway artefacts from as long ago as the 1970’s. As can be seen from the photographs everything is laid out in true museum fashion. The collection includes photograph collections of locomotives, railwaymen, posters, signalling equipment, lamps, wagon and bridge numbers as well as replica station signs, most of which were made by Rowland. Supplied by Cliff Gorman 27

Coach Holiday to Isle of Wight in the 1950s Bright Hour Chapel Organised by Chippy Rowe’s Coaches

Front row 4th and 5th from left | Mrs Jessie Hodges | Mrs Ackroyd Driver Jim Fields, sat on Mrs Bellis knee. Other names | Ted Burns | Mrs Brookbanks | Mrs Ball | Mr & Mrs Bagnall Mrs Sarah Corns Photo supplied by Linda Creasey (nee Bagnall) Generation Y People born before 1946 were called The Silent Majority. People born between 1946 and 1964 are called The Baby Boomers. People born between 1965 and 1979 are called Generation X and People born between 1980 and 2010 are called Generation Y. Why do we call the last group Generation Y? Y should I get a job? Y should I leave home and find my own place? Y should I get a car when I can borrow yours? Y should I clean my room? Y should I wash and iron my own clothes? Y should I buy any food? But a cartoonist explained it very eloquently ‘bottom right’. 28

222 Barnsley Rd Cudworth Home Made Meat Pies Pasties Buns - Confectionary TAKE AWAY READY FOOD CAKES





TEL (01226) 713877


Spot the Difference by Ronnie Neville (9 in total) answers bottom of this page.

Tree R.H.S. | Door handle Car | Grass behind car | Hair policeman | Chimney L.H.S. Driver’s cap | Line under fork | Fork | Rear column building R.H.S. 30

254b Barnsley Road Cudworth 01226 717272 31

Please send all articles, photo’s etc to: -

Malc Pierrepont, Chewin t Cud Volunteers 13 Stanley Street, Cudworth, Barnsley, S72 8HS

website: - e-mail:- Tel:- 01226 710422 (Malc)

Thank you for your Donations and Postage Stamps Some of the names of people that have donated in the last quarter. Customers of Mellor’s Newsagent | Customers of Hair Shop | Esme Haigh | Shafton Doctors | Veronica Heald | Jean Fenn | Ronnie Neville | Ray Bell | Howard Brightmore Doris Howarth | Brian Field | Carol Handley | Kenneth Holmes | Mrs R M Fox | Bill Corns Mrs Marylynn Elvin | Roy Jagger | Roland Murgatroyd | Janet Higgins | Rose of Monk Bretton | Lillyan Shelton and all the other people that have left donations.

DONATIONS If a payment or donation to the magazine is to be made by cheque please send to Malc Pierrepont and make your cheque payable to Chewin t Cud Volunteers. Patron: The Right Honourable the Lord Mason of Barnsley. CHEWIN T CUD VOLUNTEERS

Chairman. Don Shenton.

Vice Chairman. Florence Whittlestone.

Hon. Secretaries. George Roberts and Alan Curtis Treasurer:- Malc Pierrepont. Committee:John Hayhoe | Howard Brightmore | Jack Hoyland | Cliff Gorman | Ronnie Neville











Printed by Pyramid Business Print Bear Gardens, Great North Road, Redhouse, Adwick-le-Street, Doncaster, DN6 7EJ Tel 01302 726659 - - 32

Chewin t Cud June 2013  

Community magazine for Cudworth

Read more
Read more
Similar to
Popular now
Just for you