Page 44

MBJ AIRPORTS

CONSERVATION, Sustainable Business Magazine speaks to Rafael Echevarne, CEO of MBJ Airports Ltd, and Keisha Mohan, Environmental Health & Safety Manager at Sangster International Airport, about environmental management, training opportunities, and providing a space for local entrepreneurs.

Sangster International Airport (MBJ) is the largest airport in Jamaica, and one of the largest in the Caribbean, handling 3.8 million visitors in 2015. Located three miles east of Montego Bay, Sangster International is located directly in the center of Jamaica’s main tourist region. Approximately 90% of MBJ’s visitors are tourists from the United States, Canada, and Europe, attracted to 42 | SUSTAINABLE BUSINESS MAGAZINE

Jamaica’s beaches, hotels, and resorts, as well as nearby cruise ports. MBJ Airports Ltd is the company which holds the concession for the operation, maintenance, and running of Sangster International. 74.5% of the company is owned by Grupo Aeroportuario del Pacífico (GAP), the largest private airport services company in Latin America, while the remaining 25.5% is

owned by Vantage Airport Group, who run eight airports worldwide including Vancouver International Airport. “We have several sets of environmental standards we have to live up to,” explains Rafael Echevarne, CEO of MBJ Airports Ltd. “On the one hand, we have the Jamaican regulations. Then, because Vantage is a Canadian company, their environmental consciousness is very

Sustainable Business Magazine 04/16  

Sustainable Business Magazine

Read more
Read more
Similar to
Popular now
Just for you