REDEFINE Love __________________________________________________!
Discussion! 1. What is love?!
! ! ! !
2. Who does the Bible tell us to love? How do we love?! 3. Can you show someone love without sacrificing something of yourself?! 4. Would you say that you are afraid of loving others? Of letting them love you?! 5. How does loving others reveal God’s love to them?! _______________________________________________________!
Discussion ! 1. 1 Corinthians 13, 1 John 4:7-12, John 15:12-13!
2. Deuteronomy 6:5-“You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might.”! Micah 6:8-“He has tole you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God.”! Matthew 5:43-44-“You have heard it said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you , ‘Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.’”! Luke 6:27-28, 35-“But I say to you who hear, ‘Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you,” “But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return, and your reward will be great and you will be sons of the Most High, for he is kind to the ungrateful and the evil.”! Galatians 5:14-“For the whole law is fulfilled in one word: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’”!
3. John 15:13-“Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for you.”! 1 John 3:16-“By this we know love, that he laid down his life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brothers.”!
4. 1 John 4:18-“There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love.”!
5. 1 John 4:20-“If anyone says, ‘I love God,’ and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen.”! 1 John 3:17-“But if anyone has the world’s goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes hi heart against him, how does God’s love abide in him?”! John 13:34-35-“A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”! _______________________________________________________!
Final Thoughts! There is too much talk of love in the culture. Love is defined as an emotion, something we have no control over as if falling in love and loving someone are the same. Love is equated with sex as if that iso the only way a couple can show their love. The truth is that love is something we choose to do, a commitment we make to God and to others. Love requires work and sacrifice. Saying, “I love you,” means so little when it isn’t supported with acts of self-denial, no matter how small. As followers of Jesus Christ, the living God, the God who is love, our role is to present the world with this true definition by our actions. How will you begin to love?