Getting Started: 1)
Realize: The key to being successful when utilizing social media, is becoming active online.
- Social media can be viewed as a large and vast world. It’s easy to get started, but it’s easy to get lost in the mix as well.
Becoming active online is more than spending time surfing the Web; it means putting your ideas out there for the world to see, remaining current on the latest news and trends, as well as social networking.
- Write about the things you find important or like. Your blogs and interests define who you are and can be a good indicator of one’s personality.
Once you have become active online, you must then become comfortable being online. In order to be comfortable online, you must essentially be comfortable in your own skin. You should have a sense of confidence in regard to yourself, your ability, and your work.
Things to Remember
After you have become both active and comfortable online, you must accept the fact that your work and ideas are out there for everyone to see. When your work is placed before the world, you need to understand that people will criticize it. Don’t take every harsh criticism to heart. *Think of it this way, your social media site is your world and everyone else just lives in it.
Your Personal Guide to Social Media
Everything you need to know from:
Getting Started Becoming Active Online
- Social media is only as much as you make of it. There are so many options as far as social media goes. You can choose just to blog or share video. -Those who are truly great at social media strive to integrate multiple forms of media into one project. - Be true to yourself. You don’t have to write what people want you to, or what they expect you to. Social media is your world. Put yourself out there and you will get noticed for your ideas and values. -Lastly, have fun with it. These sites help define who you are in innovative ways. Share your work in whatever manner depicts you.
** This brochure was created for a class at Auburn University using Adobe InDesign. The information depicted is from my own point of view and experience. I hope you enojoyed it!
and Finding the Right Social Media Outlet for You
S - Staying O - Online! C - Connecting I - In A-A L - Lively M - Manner! E - Eagerly D - Demonstrates I - Internal A- Attitudes!
What Exactly is Social Media?
Which social media site is right for you?
-Social Media are primarily Internetand mobile-based tools for sharing and discussing information among human beings. The term most often refers to activities that integrate technology, telelcommunications and social interaction, and the construction of words, pictures, videos and audio. This interaction, and the manner in which information is presented, depends on the varied perspectives and “building” of shared meaning among communities, as people share their stories and experiences (Wikipedia, 2008).
- After you have thought about what social media is and how it can help you in your personal and business lives, you can then begin to contemplate which site is best for you and your ideas.
How to Begin:
Your personal check-list to Getting Started - Do you know what social media is? - Have you thought about the advantages to using social media for both your personal and business lives?
- The first thing to remember is: there are no right or wrong choices as far as social media is concerned. - As long as you are putting an effort in to utilize a medium, you can pretty much expect to get some sort of feedback in return.
Twitter -Twitter is a social media site that allows users to network with other users in many different ways.
- Have you browsed social media sites to see how other people are utilizing them?
- You can network by profession, interests, location, etc.
- Can you picture yourself using social media?
- This site is free to users and very easy to use.
* If you have said yes to most of these, then you are ready to go. If not, think about the check-list and see which ones you can improve upon.
- This site allows you to personalize your profile with a picture and minimal information. This also helps when one prefers a certain level of anonymity.
- MySpace is another social media site that allows users to network. -This site intergrates: blogging, video sharing, chat, Wiki’s and much more. -This site is highly personalizable and reflects one’s personality easily through customization.
- Facebook is a social networking site that allows users to network by profession, interests, locations, etc. - This site allows for customization as well. - Pictures, video, and personal information can all be added to the site. - Many companies have joined this trend and offer users the ability to network with current employees.