ABERDEEN ST MARK’S CHURCH OF SCOTLAND Member of the Aberdeen City Centre Parish Grouping
Sunday 16 September 2012 Rev Michael Phillippo
Welcome and Church Family News Call to Worship: Leader: How clearly the sky reveals God’s glory! How plainly it shows what he has done All: Each day announces it to the following day, each night repeats it to the next Leader: No speech or words are used, no sound is heard All: yet their message goes out to all the world and is heard to the ends of the earth. (Psalm 19, 1 – 4a) Praise: MP 163: From the rising of the sun From the rising of the sun to the going down of the same, the Lord’s name is to be praised. From the rising of the sun to the going down of the same, the Lord’s name is to be praised. Praise ye the Lord, praise Him, O ye servants of the Lord, praise the name of the Lord; blessèd be the name of the Lord from this time forth, and for evermore.
Offering and Dedication Prayer and the Lord’s Prayer Thought for the day: Actions speak so loud Blessing of Hannah Evie Bain and Martin, Julie and Megan Bain Praise: CH4 212: Morning has broken Introduction We welcome Martin and Julie Bain, who come to give thanks for their second child Hannah, sister to Megan. They have had their lives enriched and blessed already by the gift of Megan and have come here to thank God for Hannah and the difference she has & will make to their lives. They have invited us to share in their joy and on their behalf to ask God’s blessing upon Hannah and upon them, that they may worthily face the challenges and privileges of parenthood in the years ahead. We gladly do this, in the name of Jesus Christ whose express wish was that children should be brought to him, and not be kept back, that He might lay His hands upon them and bless them. Prayer God our Father, maker of all living things, we praise you for the wonder and joy of creation. We thank you for Hannah and for the privileges of parenthood. Accept our thanks and praise Amen The Gospel People brought little children to Jesus for him to touch, but the disciples tried to discourage them. When Jesus saw this, he was indignant. He said to them: ‘Let the children come to me: do not try to stop them; for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. Truly I tell you ‘Whoever does not accept the kingdom of God like a child will never enter it.’ And he put his arms around them and blessed them. Mark 10: 13-16
To Martin and Julie Please accept this book. It contains the Good News of God's love for us all. Read it; for it tells you how you and your family become members of God's family. That way you will have the best thing of all eternal life through Jesus Christ, God's Son Martin and Julie in recognising the goodness of God in granting you the gift of Hannah here before Him, do you earnestly desire that she be given Christâ€™s blessing in the manner He has appointed, and do you promise that you will be worthy and loving parents throughout her life? We do Martin and Julie say together Lord God, you have shown us your love in giving us Hannah Help us to be trustworthy parents. Help us to be patient and understanding so that she may always be sure of our love and grow up to be happy and fulfilled through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen Minister blesses Hannah Evie Bain: O Lord, we now bring Hannah Evie before you. We know you love her. Look with favour on her, we pray. Hannah in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, and on His behalf, I now commend you to the gracious care and protection of almighty God. May God's richest blessing rest on you Hannah this day and through all your life. May your home be a place of love, security and truthfulness that you may come to a full understanding of the Christian faith through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen Blessing The Lord bless you and keep you Minister returns Hannah to Julie and Martin
To Family/Friends, Do you promise to be faithful in supporting Martin and Julie that in due time Hannah may come into the church of Jesus Christ our Lord? We do Minister to Congregation Jesus told us to call God our Father and we say: Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven, Give us today our daily bread. Forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, the power, and the glory for ever. Amen. Minister prays As your son Jesus Christ, shared at Nazareth the life of an earthly home; Bless Megan and Hannahâ€™s home and help all the family to live together in your love. Surround this family with the light of your truth and the warmth of your love through Jesus Christ. Heavenly Father, bless Martin and Julie that they may cherish their daughters; give them wisdom and understanding to help her as she grows and may they serve you and each other ready to show your love to those in need for the sake of Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen Praise: SGP 22: Colours of day Colours of day dawn into the mind, the sun has come up, the night is behind. Go down to the city, into the street and letâ€™s give the message to the people we meet. So light up the fire and let the flame burn, open the door, let Jesus return. Take seeds of his Spirit, let the fruit grow, Tell the people of Jesus, let his love show.
Go through the park, on into the town; the sun still shines on, it never goes down. The light of the world is risen again; the people of darkness are needing our friend. Open your eyes, look into the sky, the darkness has come, the sun came to die. The evening draws on, the sun disappears, but Jesus is living, and his Spirit is near. Children leave for Sunday Club Gospel Reading: Mark Ch 8 v 27 â€“ 38 (page 828) Praise: CH4 510: Jesus calls us here to meet him (vv 1 â€“ 3) Sermon: Standing in the spotlight! Praise: CH4 189: Be still for the presence of the Lord Prayers of Thanksgiving and Intercession Praise: CH4 352: O for a thousand tongues to sing Benediction
CCL Licence No 409105
CHURCH FAMILY NEWS
1. Anyone who requires pastoral care should contact the church office. 2. Circle of Care Communion and Afternoon Tea: Sunday 14 October. Volunteer Drivers are required to help transport Circle of care members to and from the church that afternoon. Please add your name to the list in the vestibule if you can help.
3. The Strollers will meet on Tuesday 18 September at 10 am outside Lloyds TSB at Holburn Junction. You are welcome to join them.
4. The Scottish Country Dancers meet on Wednesday 19 September at 7.30 pm in the Hall.
5. OAK’S Shoe Box Appeal: please help OAK fill their Christmas Show Boxes. Knitted goods, toys, toiletries, stationery and sweets (not chocolate please) can be handed into the Café during the week or left in the vestibule on Sundays. The closing date for donations is Sunday 28 October.
6. OAK’s next Lunches: Tickets are now on sale from the Café for the next special lunch on Thursday 1 November (£7.50 for a 3-course lunch), and the Christmas Cracker Lunches on Wednesday 12 and Thursday 13 December (£13.50 per person).
7. Harvest Home Social: the City Centre Grouping is holding this celebration of Harvest on Saturday 29 September in St Mark’s Hall on Saturday 3 pm – 6 pm. There will be Fun and Games, Quizzes and Entertainment. Why not enter the ‘Harvest Hat’ or the ‘Harvest Basket’ competitions? Soup, crusty bread & cheese plus a sweet will be served. Tickets cost only £4 £10 for a family, available this morning from Lynn Low.
8. Harvest Festival Service - Sunday 7 October. Please bring donations of non-perishable foods to this service, or bring them earlier in the week. All food donated will be given to the Aberdeen Cyrenians.
9. The Aberdeen City Centre Parish Grouping Prayer Circle will meet in the Kirk of St Nicholas Uniting on Wednesday 19 September at 2.30 pm. Your presence would be greatly appreciated.
10. A new grouping project, Happy Mondays, will be held from 9.00 – 11.00 each Monday during school terms in Queen Street Church. We will be offering hospitality and chat to parents, grandparents, carers, etc dropping children off at schools and nurseries in our three parishes. It will be very informal and friendly and we require volunteers to man the door, operate the lift, make tea, chat to our guests etc. An information meeting for anyone interested in helping out on a rota basis will be held in the Kirk Lounge at Queen Street Church at 10 am on Monday 1 October. For further information contact Margaret Durie on 566260, 0789 657 1048 or email@example.com
11. Scottish Bible Society - Aberdeen Action Group will be holding a Quiz Night on Saturday 13 October at 7 pm in Crown Terrace Methodist Church. Come and bring a team: £5 per person. A light supper will be served.
12. Coffee Morning in aid of Aberdeen Street Pastors: please keep Saturday 3 November free to come along to Queen Street Church from 10 am to 12 noon to support this coffee morning. Stalls will include crafts, vintage chine, gifts, home bakes and confectionery. Once again we would appreciate your help! If you are able to make or donate items for the stalls or help in any other way please contact Anne Haining (497968), Pam Dow (314899), Margaret Durie (566260) or Ian McIver (07890 932 677).
13. The OAK Café and the Church office will be closed on Monday 24 September - the local holiday.
Sunday 23 September
11 am Morning Worship Your Favourite Hymns (2) Led by Alex McConochie
Sunday 30 September
11 am Morning Worship Boys’ Brigade Dedication Rev Michael Phillippo
Sunday 7 October
11 am Morning Worship Harvest Thanksgiving Rev Mark Rodgers Tea/Coffee in the Hall after the Service
Sunday 14 October
11 am Morning Worship Service of Holy Communion Rev Michael Phillippo 2.00 pm Circle of Care Communion and Afternoon Tea Rev Michael Phillippo 6.30 pm OAK Evening Service Crown Terrace Methodist Church
Sunday 21 October
11 am Morning Worship
Sunday 28 October
11 am Morning Worship Rev Mark Rodgers
Sunday 4 November
11 am Morning Worship Joint Grouping Service in St Mark’s. Tea/Coffee in the Hall after the Service
Sunday 11 November
10.50 am Service of Remembrance