A TRADITION OF EXCELLENCE
ROOTED IN THE PAST, DESTINED FOR THE FUTURE Since its beginning, Stickley has been known as a company that is cutting edge, modern, and constantly evolving. In 1900, L. & J.G. Stickley helped to usher in a new stylistic form with their inaugural line of “simple furniture built along mission lines”, setting a standard for fine American woodwork for the entire furniture industry and overtaking the popularity of overwrought Victorian furniture. When tastes changed in the 1920s, and the Colonial Revival style became popular, Leopold was ready, and designed his new Cherry Valley Collection based on the 18th century antiques he had purchased in Europe. This updated American colonial collection was crafted with the same uncompromising quality as the earlier Mission line and won rave reviews. This line established Stickley as the premier solid cherry manufacturer in the world. By 1957, Leopold Stickley had died, but what remained was a company that was the most respected and admired in the nation. Leopold’s widow Louise, aided by many of the founder’s original staff, continued moving the company forward, insisting that all aspects of quality manufacturing be preserved. A new era began for Stickley in 1974 when Alfred and Aminy Audi purchased the company and guided it to new levels of accomplishments, reviving and growing the business from 22 employees to over 1400 artisans and craftspeople today.
E.J Audi, Alfred’s father and Stickley’s largest dealer, standing next to Leopold Stickley.
Furthering the Craftsman ideal of making solid, well-crafted furnishings, the Audis saved a company that could have easily closed its doors. In 1989, when the past became modern again, the Audi’s reissued the Mission Collection in 1989. Today, Stickley continues to push the boundaries of design and create furniture with modern lines and surprising silhouettes, crafted with the same tradition, sensibility and workmanship of days gone by.
A young Alfred Audi is seen in the same crowd.