2 0 1 9 / 2 0
S TA TRAVEL WO RK ING HOL I DAYS START THE ADVENTURE
Contents WHY WORK ABROAD INTERNATIONAL STUDENT CARDS AU PAIR • IN THE USA • IN ITALY • IN CHINA
SEASONAL WORK • SUMMER CAMP USA • WINTER SEASONAL WORK
TEACHING • THAILAND • CHINA: CHENGDU • CHINA: GUANGZHOU • CHINA: SHANGHAI • CHINA: SHENZHEN • HONG KONG • VIETNAM • MYANMAR
HOSPITALITY • USA • AUSTRALIA
CRUISING/YACHTING • WORK ON YACHTS
AGRICULTURE • USA • AUSTRALIA • NEW ZEALAND • SWITZERLAND
WORK EXCHANGE • NEW ZEALAND
GAP YEAR • NEW ZEALAND • THAILAND • AUSTRALIA
WHY A WORKING HOLIDAY Perhaps you’ve just finished high school, need a break from your regular 9-5 or just want to set off an adventure of a lifetime. Whatever your reasons, see the world, broaden your horizons and come and work abroad with us! From interning and teaching English, to working on a cruise ship, in a summer camp or as an au pair - we’ve got something for everyone! Your future starts here.
One of the best things about being a student is the discounts. Score exclusive offers on flights and adventures at STA Travel, plus thousands of lifestyle and travel discounts at home and on the road. It’s the perfect partner for your next big trip and is yours for just R100. Buy your ISIC card from any STA Travel store today and make the most of over 42,000 discounts in over 130 countries. Way to go, smarty pants!
ARE YOU ELIGIBLE? You can get your hands on an ISIC card if you’re a full-time student at school, college, language school and varsity or if you’re in higher education. There’s no maximum age limit, but the minimum age is 12 years. ‘Full-time’ means 12 weeks or more of study during one academic year.
BENEFITS • Available to full-time students at school, college or varsity, aged 12 years and above. • Exclusive discounts on worldwide flights, including STA Travel’s BlueTicket student fares. • Discounted rates and hundreds of freebies at hotels and hostels worldwide. • Discounts and benefits in over 125,000 locations. • Endorsed by international organisations such as UNESCO and the European Council. • Recognised by varsity, academic institutions, student organisations and national. governments worldwide.
AU PAIR IN
WHY AU PAIR
AU PAIR USA
Being an au pair overseas is a great opportunity for people who love working with children, to do what they love and travel the world. Participating in one of our STA Travel Working Holidays au pair programmes means that you become part of our global au pair family. You get to travel and experience life in another country while working and earning good money! Being an au pair is one of the most popular overseas jobs and will help you create lifelong friendships and priceless memories.
This is a programme of a lifetime. Living with a host family and caring for their children, you’ll get the true and authentic American experience. Taking part in their day-to-day routine, you’ll become part of the family, sharing your culture and customs while embracing theirs. Plus, with an included USD $500 a year study allowance, it’s also a great opportunity to study abroad, learn a new skill and meet new people. Ready to start your adventure?
HOW TO APPLY REQUIREMENTS
• Age 18 – 26 years. • Hold a valid South African passport. • Completed Matric. • Fluent in English. • Have minimum 200 hours childcare experience. • Hold a valid driving licence. • Have no criminal record. • Be able to commit to at least 12 months.
ADDITIONAL QUALITIES THAT WILL ASSIST WITH PLACEMENT
• Experience with infants. • Open minded towards difference religions, race and gender of the host families. • Open to caring for multiple children. • Additional skills (e.g. music, sports, academic, etc). • Additional child development courses (e.g. first aid, special needs, nursing, etc). • Having previously lived overseas, or on our own. 5
YOU ARE NOT ALONE
There is no need to be afraid or worry about this new adventure that you are about to embark on, as you will have a Community Administrator that will be there every step of the way for you. A Community Administrator is there to support, inform and advise you and your family throughout your stay. They will guide you through any challenges and co-ordinate and set up social outings with all au pairs in the area so that you all get to know each other and make friends. HOST FAMILIES
We know how important it is for you to find the right family that is compatible to you and matches your needs. Keep in mind, all host families are different, but most are busy, professional parents that need someone to assist with caring for their little ones, to engage with them and to keep them happy and safe. 6
They are looking for a young, vibrant person who loves looking after children, who is reliable, mature, honest, enthusiastic and open minded. Your host family will provide you with your own room, meals and access to transport (although this is not always a given). A USD $500 study allowance and a minimum of USD $195 weekly pocket money. In return you will look after their children, providing entertaining, educational and responsible care. WHERE YOU WILL BE LIVING
Families are located throughout the USAâ€™s 50 states, so you could find yourself spending a year in the Big Apple, beautiful Washington DC, sleepy Seattle or cowboy crazy Texas.
A TYPICAL DAY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
• Waking the children and getting them ready for the day (bathing and dressing). • Preparing the children’s meals, cleaning and washing up after them (dishes, clothes, etc). • Driving them to and from school and any activities they do after school or on weekends. • Helping with homework or extramural activities. • Babysitting in the evenings or over weekends if the parents go out. STUDYING WHILE YOU’RE IN THE USA
To complete your 12-month programme you are required to take approved classes at an accredited post-secondary institute. This is a great opportunity to meet people and make new friends. Your host family will be contributing USD $500 towards these studies, so be sure to include them in your selection process to make sure that it is indeed an accredited institute. You can pick anything from glass blowing to psychology, as long as it’s an accredited institute. WHEN TO GO
With flights departing all year round, you can travel to the USA whenever it suits you. It is best to apply four months before you would like to travel. The process times will be dependent on your application so whenever you are ready, get started.
• The application fee needs to be paid to STA Travel Working Holidays upon confirmation of application. • This application fee includes: • The interview processes. • Information sessions. • Processing of the application. • Assistance with booking your J1 Visa appointment. • Pre-departure orientation/online training. PROGRAMMES/PLACEMENT FEE
• Your placement fee needs to be paid to STA Travel Working Holidays once an application has been approved by the USA offices. • This placement fee includes: • Basic insurance cover for the year. • International flights to the USA from South Africa. WHAT YOU NEED TO APPLY
• South African passport. • Police clearance certificate. • International driving licence or IDP (can be bought at an AA store). • Medical exam and TB chest X-ray. • US J1 Visa. • Pocket money. 7
AU PAIR IN
Ever wondered what the Colosseum or the Leaning Tower of Pisa looks like in person? Or if pizza tastes better in its country of origin? Here at STA Travel, we provide you with a platform to find out for yourself. We offer all young, bright and passionate individuals the opportunity to immerse themselves in one of the richest cultures in the world whilst earning some money. If you are taking a gap year after Matric or if you’re wanting to take a break after your tertiary studies, let us help you make the most of it. Earn money, learn a different language, live your own “Eat, Pray, Love” mantra and find that passion that Italians are famous for! This programme caters for all those looking to work as an au pair or English tutor in Italy for a duration of 6-12 weeks. We link you up with a friendly host family, so that you can get the authentic feel of Italy, from culture to cuisine.
Since we provide you with a host family, your living expenses in Italy are paid for you. As an au pair/English tutor, you’ll receive a minimum of €100 per week. Your expenses will be:
• Our registration fee of R5,000. • Your return ticket to Italy. • Your visa (Schengen Visa). • Your IDP (international driving permit), should the family require you to drive. • All the awesome Italian fashion you’ll most likely buy while you’re out there!
SO HOW DO YOU MAKE THIS POSSIBLE? LET US WALK YOU THROUGH IT This may seem overwhelming at first, but we’re here to make this as hassle-free as possible. Here’s some useful information that you’ll need to know to make the preparations for your trip easier.
WHAT IS REQUIRED OF YOU WITH YOUR HOST FAMILY
• The main purpose would be to tutor the children/family English. • The au pair duties are primarily childcare and some light housework WORKING HOURS
Your working hours will depend on your host family, but there is a maximum of 30 hours per week in Italy, including babysitting hours. You must be flexible. REMUNERATION
VISA REQUIREMENTS AND TRAVEL INSURANCE VISA REQUIREMENTS
You may need to apply for a Schengen Tourist Visa. Please contact us for more detailsLITY • Age 18–28 years. • Must have a Matric Certificate. • Fluent in English. • Have a loving and nurturing way with children. • Have a minimum of 15 hours of training experience (proof of certification needed e.g. first aid, CPR course).
As an English tutor/au pair you should expect to earn a minimum of €100 weekly, excluding accommodation and meals (if you’re a “live-in” au pair). LANGUAGE SKILLS COURSE
Your family will give you the opportunity to attend a language class for which you are required to pay for. It is recommended that you go on a weekly basis to fully immerse yourself and learn the language. 9
AU PAIR IN
This unique au pair programme gives you the opportunity to explore one of the oldest cultures in the world, tracing back thousands of years with customs and traditions varying greatly between provinces and cities. You will have the opportunity to live in Shanghai, Beijing and other big cities in China, learn a new and exciting language and live with a local Chinese family.
SO HOW DO YOU MAKE THIS POSSIBLE? LET US WALK YOU THROUGH IT This may seem overwhelming at first, but we’re here to make this as hassle-free as possible. Here is some useful information that you’ll need to know to make the preparations for your trip easier: WHAT IS REQUIRED OF YOU
Since we provide you with a host family, your living expenses in China are paid for you. As an au pair/English Tutor, you’ll receive a minimum of ¥2000 Yuan per month. Your expenses will be:
• Registration fee of R5,000. • Your IDP (international driving permit), should the family require you to drive. • All the awesome tourist attractions you will be visiting on your time off! 10
WITH YOUR HOST FAMILY?
• The main purpose would be to tutor the children/family English. • The au pair duties are primarily childcare and some light housework. • Share your western culture with the family. WORKING HOURS
Your working hours will depend on your host family but there is a maximum of 30 hours per week in China, including babysitting hours. You must be flexible with your hours.
As an English tutor/au pair you should expect to earn a minimum of ¥2000 Yuan monthly, excluding accommodation and meals (if you’re a “live-in” au pair). VISA REQUIREMENTS
One will be applying for a Chinese F Visa, please refer to required documentation before applying.
• Airport pick up. • Welcome pack with SIM card and public transportation card. • Support from a representative of the programme during your stay. • Opportunity to travel with host family in other cities within China or abroad. • Various cultural activities with other au pairs.
LANGUAGE SKILLS COURSE
Your family will give you the opportunity to attend a language class for which you are required to pay for. It is recommended that you go on a weekly basis to fully immerse yourself and learn the language. BENEFITS
ARE YOU • Age 18–28 years. • Must have a Matric Certificate.
• You will be provided with any necessary documents and full assistance when applying for the Visa.
• Fluent in English.
• Paid Mandarin courses with professional Chinese teachers.
• Have a minimum of 15 hours of training experience (proof of certification e.g. first aid, CPR course).
• Your international travel and health insurance is paid by the host family.
• Have a loving and nurturing way with children.
Picture spending a summer doing what you love. Be it water skiing, horseback-riding, rock climbing or simply enjoying the great outdoors. Every year, thousands of children aged 5-17 attend summer camps across the United States. The Camp Exchange USA programme gives you an opportunity to spend up to ten weeks at a summer camp, putting your talents to use and teaching young campers. As a Camp Exchange counsellor, youâ€™ll have the opportunity to share your summer with people from all over the world and gain insight that will carry over into all aspects of your life, whilst also developing skills and experience in an incredibly wide range of areas. Our goal is to help you share in this unique experience by matching you to a camp that best fits your interest and skills.
CAMPS There are more than 12,000 summer camps in the USA and each is unique. Camps differ from one another in philosophy, structure, facilities, clientele, programmes and duration. Each camp caters its programme to the campersâ€™ age, gender or area of specialization. Camps are located in secluded wilderness settings and serve as an escape from city life.
BELOW IS A LIST OF DIFFERENT TYPES OF CAMPS WE WORK WITH: TRADITIONAL/PRIVATE
Owned and operated by individuals and families. Facilities are well maintained and campers come from higher income families. Can be co-ed or serve only female or male campers. Many different activities are offered from arts and crafts to archery. 13
Boys or girls-only camps provide a variety of traditional camp activities to build character and skills. These camps can be run privately or by a non-profit agency. Some camps may have a brother or sister camp located nearby.
DISADVANTAGED OR UNDERPRIVILEGED
These camps are run or sponsored by outside community groups and often serve low income children from inner city or extremely rural backgrounds. These camps are often rustic in nature as they are dependent on philanthropic organisations or other groups.
Operated by Christian or Jewish organizations, religious camps emphasize the value of their respective faiths through traditional camp activities. The level of religious involvement will differ from camp to camp. Counsellors should be prepared to lead religious activities. SPECIAL NEEDS
Campers may include children and adults with physical and/or mental, behavioural and/or learning disabilities. Campers participate in many different traditional camp activities. Counsellors should have general experience with special needs children or a willingness to learn to work in a demanding, but rewarding environment. SPECIALTY
These camps focus on specific sports or activities like horse riding, sailing, or theatre. Specialty camps can also serve specific populations such as campers who have ADHD or have suffered a loss. 14
These camps only serve female campers and often run across 1-2 week sessions throughout the summer. Girls scouts are generally focused on building wilderness skills and participation in outdoorsy activities. AGENCIES/NON-PROFIT CAMPS
These camps are run by bodies like YMCA and the Salvation Army. Campers come from all parts of the community. These camps can range from very rustic to traditional in their cabins and buildings. Many agency camps appear to be similar to private camps, but often follow a mission affiliated with the agency.
WANTED SKILLS & ACTIVITIES ARTS & CRAFTS
Batik/printing, candle making, ceramics (wheel/kiln), fine arts, glass blowing, handicrafts jewellery, leather craft, metalwork, model making, nature craft, painting, puppetry, sculpture, silversmithing, stained glass, textile tie-dye, weaving (loom) and woodworking.
DANCE AND FITNESS
Aerobics, ballet/tap, choreography, contemporary, hip hop, jazz, kickboxing, weights and fitness, yoga and Zumba. SCIENCE
Astronomy, culinary arts, electronics, environmental education, model rocketry, wildlife and ecology. SWIM
Swim instruction (certified), diving lifeguard (certified), synchronized swimming.
Computer (programming/graphics), creative writing, newspaper production, photography (digital/ darkroom), radio broadcast (equipment), recording and sound editing video, bass (guitar), brass bugle, DJ, drums, guitar, keyboard, piano (accompany), rock band, singing/vocals, song writing, strings, ukulele and wind instruments.
Dressage English riding, horse care, vaulting and Western riding.
ACCOMMODATION & FOOD
Farming, fishing, gardening, geocaching, hiking, orienteering, outdoor cooking, primitive camping, rock climbing, ropes, shelter building, trip leader/driver 21+, trip leader 21+, white water kayaking and ziplining. LAND SPORTS
Baseball, basketball, cheerleading, fencing, field hockey, figure skating, golf, gymnastics, hockey (ice/street), lacrosse, martial arts, soccer, softball, tennis, track and field, ultimate frisbee and volleyball. Biking and extreme sports ATV, BMX, cycling (trip 21+), go karts, moto cross, mountain bike, mountain boarding and skate park sports. PERFORMING ARTS
Circus, costuming, lights/sound, magic, set design/construction and theatrical make-up.
All counsellors will have free accommodation at camp for the duration of the programme. The 30-day grace travel time after camp is not included. FOOD
All counsellors will receive breakfast, lunch and dinner for the full duration of their camp exchange programme, excluding days spent off camp premises.
ARE YOU Camp Exchange USA seeks applicants who are skilled, hardworking, energetic, fun-loving and happy in a highly active environment. Eligible candidates must meet the following requirements: • Enjoy working with and have experience with children, e.g. coaches, teachers, youth workers, scouts, youth leaders or individuals with specialized skills. • Be between the age of 19-30 years by May 1st. (18-year olds will be considered on a case by case basis). • Have demonstrated leadership experience. • Be a strong English speaker. • Highly dedicated individuals that are respectful of others. • Be available to arrive in the USA no later than June 20th and stay for at least 9 weeks.
Camp Exchange USA falls under the J1 Visa class. This visa is valid for the duration of your camp and up to a maximum of 3.5 months. In addition, you get a 30-day grace period to travel in the United States after your last day at camp. When applying for a J1 Visa you must go through a US sponsor approved organization. That is where STA Travel steps in, along with our summer camp and US partner. Once camp placements are secured and your visa paperwork is issued and sent to South Africa, you can then apply for your US visa. The US government requires all applicants to attend an interview with the US consulate. For your US visa to be successful you need to provide sufficient proof of your return to South Africa for either studies or employment. You will be assisted with every step of your application process for this visa, including arranging your visa appointment with the US consulate in either Johannesburg, Durban or Cape Town, obtaining your visa paperwork from the US programme sponsor, assisting with your interview with the consulate official, and checking all your documents along the way. The final decision regarding this visa is always at the discretion of the US consulate.
It is a programme condition that all the flights are booked through our summer camp partner and STA Travel. We are responsible for the flight arrangements of all participants with our international partner, it is therefore imperative that we have access to all applicant’s flight details. We will make all efforts to offer the best suited return ticket to all candidates.
When arriving in the USA, participants are required to have a minimum of USD $400 which may need to be produced for the US Immigration Officer upon arrival. This spending money is necessary to cover expenses you will have before you receive your first pay check. Earning potential starts at $950 for the 10 weeks.
All participants are insured for the duration of their camp programme. Your insurance is included in your programme fee. US Government regulations require appropriate medical and travel insurance for all participants on the programme. The policy offered through our programme sponsor CIEE is designed to meet the US Government requirements and is therefore compulsory to take the insurance plan offered by the programme. Please note that this is travel insurance and not a “medical aid”. It will cover you for hospitalization, emergencies and flying you home in the event of an unforeseen crises. This is a programme condition.
Are you a student, looking to discover America? Spending your university break in the United States is an exciting opportunity to learn a completely new culture, make American and international friends, and embark on an adventure you will remember forever. You will also have the chance to teach others what it is you love about your own country and culture
Today’s global employers often require international work experience, and the value added by working in the USA is immeasurable to students from South Africa. The J1 Work and Travel Visa provides current full-time South African students with the opportunity to work seasonal jobs in the United States during their official university holiday. Students are all required to come back to full-time studies when they return to South Africa. After students finish their work commitment, the programme allows and encourages them to have an optional 30-day travel period to see and experience the USA first hand.
ARE YOU • Age 18-28 years. • A current, full-time, registered degree-level student, studying at any tertiary institute in South Africa. • You must be friendly, outgoing, positive, professional and have a strong work ethic. • You must be returning to full time studies after your programme. • Students of all nationalities can apply, provided they are registered for a full-time degree at any tertiary institute in South Africa.
Whether you are looking to take a gap year or make a total life change and move to Thailand more permanently, we offer 24/7 support to all our applicants. From the day you apply, we’ll walk you through every stage of this exciting new journey. Teaching English in Thailand is an experience for anyone looking to embrace a new culture, learn new skills, make new friends whilst giving back to communities.
ARE YOU • Age 18–55 years. • RSA, USA, AUS, CAN, UK passport holders ONLY. • Good command of English and a positive attitude. • Police clearance (apply for it now). • Valid passport (apply now if you do not already have one). • Laptop is required, so take one with or buy one on arrival (tab/iPad is not sufficient).
Teaching is also a great way to support further adventures, allowing you to earn a good salary whilst having the opportunity to explore a diverse and beautiful part of the world. Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) is a certification widely recognized in Thailand as the benchmark of teaching proficiency. This accreditation will allow you to teach with confidence and aid with job placement.
• Guaranteed placement for degree holders and/or high placement rate for non-degree holders. • Full support and assistance. • Freedom to travel during school holidays. • Those with dependants also considered. • Couples and friends placed in the same location.
• Minimum salary of 25,000THB to 45,000THB (R10,000 to R20,000 pm).
INCLUDED IN THE FEES QUOTED BELOW THE BASICS
Airport pick-up, visa assistance, resume/CV creation, lifetime support and assistance. ACCOMMODATION
Accommodation and breakfast (sharing) for four weeks.
FREE SCHOOL BREAK JOB AND VOLUNTEER PLACEMENT TEA CHER TRAI NING Internationally accredited 120-hour Teacher Training course – in class. Peer-to-Peer, observation and practical teaching experience. All books and materials needed during the teaching course will be supplied and you will have access to online teaching materials. GUARANTEED JOB PLACEM ENT
IN COUNTRY SET-UP
Thai bank account with debit card (assistance is included, you will pay for the bank card and make a deposit which you can withdraw). THAI SIM CARD AND PHONE SETUP
• Guaranteed job placement in Thailand for degree holders, and 98% job placement record for non-degree holders. • Opportunity to be placed with friends or family in the same location.
Getting you settled in. THAI CULTURE IMMERSION
In-class Thai culture awareness including Thai language, customs and history. THAI ACTION CULTURAL LEARNING:
OPTION 1: BEACH LOCATION Several exciting cultural excursions including: • Muay Thai. • Rescue Paws (dog rescue project). • Beautiful mountain side temple hike. • Meditation with monk. • Thai cooking. • Visit to authentic local Thai market. • Beach welcome party. OPTION 2 : MOUNTAIN LOCATION Several exciting cultural excursions including: • Visit to the majestic Doi Suthep temple. • Visit to Wat Umong, the famous tunnel temple. • Muay Thai training session.
Travel Insurance MUST be taken with the flight package. Flights to be booked through us.
• Trip to local night bazaar. • Visit to a beautiful scenic local rice plantation. 21
ABO UT THAI LAND • Living costs are extremely low – about R4,000 - R5,000 pm can secure an apartment, cover basic bills, food, travel costs and more. • The salary in Thailand is set to a basic of about R10,000 - R20,000 pm (or 25,000 – 45,000THB), but with extra classes we have clients earning well over R25,000 pm (and only needing R4,000 to live). • We also offer holiday work during school holidays at English camps. ON ARRIVAL IN THAILAND
• Look for the driver at the airport. • Hotel costs are not included, so you will need to use your spending money. It is approximately 1200THB per room per night. • Travel to your pre-arranged accommodation. • We currently use two apartment style accommodations in Hua Hin and two group homes. • We will allocate teachers into either the group homes or the apartments based on availability and will always try to find the lowest cost for
our participants. All have Wi-Fi, air-con and are conveniently located to the school and head office. • Meet and greet the next morning with our team in Thailand and the rest of the group. • Travel to the training facility and book into your new accommodation. • An accommodation deposit of 5000THB per person is payable when you book in. This is refunded when you leave. (Electricity usage will be deducted, which is usually a minimal amount). • Start your in-class TESOL or your week of orientation. • With the assistance of visa agencies, visa runs give the opportunity for a few days (or a weekend) to see Malaysia, Cambodia, Laos or Vietnam. There are also non-B visas and work permit assistance opportunities offered in Thailand (for those eligible). For those not eligible for a work permit (non -degree holders), there will be three to four visa runs per year • Interviews and placement with schools. • Start teaching! (Print pre-checked lesson plans from our Teacher Portal).
Street food is typically the cheapest option, starting at about 3THB (USD $1) per plate. While someone could potentially live on only a few dollars per day, many students aren’t prepared to eat exclusively street food and end up needing more money. Furthermore, our students typically develop a very strong group dynamic and those who are on a very tight budget may feel excluded if the group chooses to regularly eat at slightly more expensive restaurants (80–150THB). TRANSPORTATION
Transportation to and from the school will be your responsibility throughout the course. Most students choose to use Songthaews, a type of local bus, which costs 10-15THB (30-50 cents) per trip. Thus, the commute to and from the school should cost about USD $1 per day. Various transport options are available. However, most accommodations are within a 10-minute walk to the school.
We have a long history of successfully placing non-degree holders in Thailand. Every year, about 30% of the teachers we place do not possess bachelor degrees. Overall in Thailand, there is an estimated 5,000 non-degree holders teaching English across the country. As a nondegree holder teaching in Thailand, you accept that in the event that you’re found teaching on a tourist/ education Visa, that you will be teaching at your own risk. However, please rest assured that schools and communities urgently need teachers across Thailand and offer support and protection to teachers that they feel offer value and whom they feel are qualified.
Apply to work in China! We currently have vacancies in the cities of Chengdu, Guangzhou, Shanghai & Shenzhen. You will be teaching children aged between 3-12 years old a variety of classes ranging from beginner phonics through to spelling and grammar.
Also known as the Pearl of the Orient, this beautiful city is home to The Bund which is the main attraction of Shanghai’s iconic skyline.
Shenzhen, China also known as the Emerald City of China, and is well known for its financial successes. Shenzhen is home to Wutong Mountain which overlooks the coast making it a natural area for hiking with some stunning views. There is lots to see and explore in this beautiful city. SALARY AND BENEFITS
• Salary RMB15,000 - 17,000 per month (+- R32,000). • Flight reimbursement RMB6,000 upon completion of 12 months. • Lucrative annual bonus of RMB10,000. • Over time payment of RMB700 per day.
Chengdu, is home to the Giant Panda Sanctuary do you need any other reason to want to work there? GUANGZHOU
Apply to work in one of the biggest cities in China. We have teaching positions available in Guangzhou, China. Guangzhou is well known for its import and export services for China. Also known as the City of Flowers, Guangzhou has a lot to offer to those who visit and live there. 24
• Fully sponsored visa. • Small class sizes, with four to eight children per class. • Fully prepared and tailored curriculum. • Affordable accommodation (optional). • Fully sponsored visa. • Comprehensive eight-day training programme. • Social network connections pre-and post-arrival. • Opportunities for career advancement in numerous fields within the organisation.
ROL E AN D RESPONSIBILITIES • Teach a variety of English classes such as phonics, reading comprehension, creative writing and grammar.
• Prepare and implement lessons, crafts and activities.
• Age 20-35 years.
• Administer student progress reports to parents.
• TESOL, CELTA or TEFL (120-hour minimum).
• Bachelor’s degree (in any discipline).
• Native proficiency English speaker. • Minimum two years relevant experience (post graduate experience). • Criminal conviction check and health check. • Valid passport as well as your old passport (if applicable). • Creative and enthusiastic with a love of teaching and children.
>>> • Authenticated and legalized degree, transcripts, TEFL and police clearance.
Apply to work in one of the most famous cities in the world. We currently have teaching opportunities in Hong Kong. Discover the true beauty of this cosmopolitan city whilst taking in its iconic skyline from The Peak and exploring the city’s local street markets. You will be teaching children aged between 3-12 years old. You will teach a variety of classes ranging from beginner phonics through to spelling and grammar.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
• Social network connections prior and post arrival. • Opportunities for career advancement in numerous fields within the organization. ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Teach a variety of English classes such as phonics, reading comprehension, creative writing and grammar. • Prepare and implement lessons, crafts and activities. • Administer student progress reports to parents.
• HKD23,800 - 24,500 per month (+- R42,000). • HKD5,000 bonus upon completion of contract. • HKD6,000 will be received after the comprehensive 8-day training programme. • Over-time payments of HKD1,200 per day. • Small class sizes (4-8 children per class). • Fully sponsored visa. • Fully prepared and tailored curriculum. • Affordable accommodation (optional). • Orientation information and assistance prior to arrival. 26
ARE YOU • Age 20-35 years. • Bachelor degree (in any discipline). • TESOL, CELTA or TEFL (100-hour minimum). • Native proficiency English speaker. • Creative and enthusiastic with a love of teaching and children.
The Teach in Vietnam Programme is only open to bachelor degree holders, and all participants will need to commit to a one-year programme. Vietnam should be on the top of everyone’s travel list. It’s that simple. With its dramatic landscapes, fascinating history, epic food and pulsating energy, Vietnam will electrify all of your senses and seize you from all angles.
TEACHING IN VIETNAM HIGHLIGHTS • Access to flexible part-time and full-time contracts. • Starting salary approximately USD $1,400 for full-time contracts. (Some schools might require a probationary period in which the work is part-time but with a minimum of USD $800 for that period and then increasing to USD $1,400 - 1,700 with a full-time one-year contract after passing probation. (Probationary periods are typically two months long). • Visa and work permit costs will be reimbursed when arriving in Vietnam, but might be deducted from your final pay check if you leave before the end of the contract. • End-of-contract bonuses for many schools equal anywhere from USD $500 flat amount or one month’s salary, depending on the school. • Contract renewal bonus (this is available for some but not all schools). • Health care is provided to all full-time teachers. • 20 vacation days plus all public holidays.
ARE YOU • No age restriction. • You must have a bachelor degree. • Have completed a 120-hour in-class TESOL course. • Be in good physical and mental health. • Have sufficient funds to pay for the programme fees and other associated costs of the programme. • Must hold valid passports from the South Africa, United States, United Kingdom, Canada, Ireland, Australia or New Zealand. • Applicants must not have a criminal record. • Applicants must be able to provide the following within four weeks of arrival: Apostilled degree, and Apostilled criminal record check (CRB/CBC).
• Free Vietnamese language courses. • A lot of essentials throughout your day-to-day life. 27
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED
• All teachers will teach in a language school, mostly in the Ho Chi Minh area. • Class sizes typically range from 15 to 25 students.
the school for one week to ten days. During that time, you can sort out more permanent accommodation, usually with other Western teachers in shared housing. You also have the option of staying at the apartment/hotel where the school originally placed you.
• Teaching will be predominantly focused on children.
• Medical insurance.
• The majority of classes have a Vietnamese teaching assistant present.
• Most lessons are two hours in duration with a 15-minute break.
• Accommodation (we will assist in finding accommodation).
• Teachers typically teach four hours per day or between 18-22 hours per week of actual classroom time.
• Any sort of financial assistance.
• A typical work day is from noon to 8pm, but this can vary from one school to the next. • Teachers should expect to work weekends with one to two days off per week during weekdays. ACCOMMODATION
• Cost is approximately USD $200-250 per month. • Accommodation typically has air-con and Wi-Fi. All costs related to accommodations are your responsibility to cover.
• Flights. • Meals.
• Day-to-day transport (including to job interviews). • Entertainment. IMPORTANT DO CUMEN TS It is extremely important that you bring the following documents with you to Vietnam: • Passport. • Original degree certificates and original transcripts (photocopies are no longer accepted). • Criminal background check.
• You will be required to pay two months deposit and one months’ rent in advance.
• Electronic Microsoft Word version of your resume.
• The process for finding accommodation: on arrival, you will stay in housing provided by
• Apostilized four-year degree.
• Apostilized local or national criminal background check.
We will provide you with paperwork for a working visa-upon-arrival letter. This is different from a work permit, which can only be processed when participants arrive in Vietnam. Once in the country, all paperwork and support will be given to obtain the correct work permit. In certain situations, the participant will arrive on a tourist visa and then do a Visa trip once their work permit documentation is complete. This is quite rare but it is important to understand that visa regulations change quite frequently and participants should be prepared to allow for a certain degree of flexibility if they decide to sign up to teach in Vietnam. Part-time and full-time contracts are available in Vietnam, both of which will involve work permits. Contracts are one year in length, and teachers will not be offered contracts less than one year. We do not provide contracts directly to the schools and a participantâ€™s continued employment with the school is entirely at the discretion of the school.
Here is a complete programme fee and budget breakdown. All prices and fees are displayed in US Dollars. The following website can be used to calculate exchange rates. xe.com/ucc This budget covers you for your month of TESOL and one month afterwards, or the first month teaching while you are waiting for your first pay check. BUDGET ITEM
Food (60 days at USD 10 per day)
Rent (3 months). First month based on single occupancy, including a refundable deposit of USD 250. Of that deposit, you will likely get back USD 150 after expenses.
The first month is in Thailand (for TESOL first) and the additional two months is for the accommodation in Ho Chi Minh City. A 1-2 month deposit is typically required in addition to the first two monthâ€™s rent Entertainment based on a moderate amount of going out during the course and no going out the first month or portion of teaching career
Transport in Hua Hin and between Hua Hin and Bangkok and flight to Ho Chi Minh City following course. Also includes local transport in Thailand and Vietnam
USD 300 USD 2,100
Choosing to teach English in Myanmar offers teachers a unique opportunity to immerse themselves and experience new cultures. Myanmar has only opened its doors to the outside world in the last decade, so visitors will find a rich history and vibrant landscapes that have often remained untouched by the West until now.
Youâ€™ll have a six month to one-year renewable contract. Placements are available starting any time of the year. SALARY
Salary is the equivalent of USD $700-1,200 per month (R9,800 to R16,800), so enough for extra savings or spending money each month. Average living costs in Myanmar are USD $450-550 per month (R6,000 to R7,000pm) and would typically include rent, electricity, entertainment, food, travel, clothes, etc. VISA
You will require a Business visa sponsorship.
generally between USD $200 - $350 per month, exclusive of electricity and water. Accommodation can be fairly basic. In some instances, internet is provided in accommodation costs, in other instances, it must be purchased separately. PAID HOLIDAYS
You will be entitled to approximately 15 days per year (this may vary and is up to the discretion of the school). ORIENTATION
Our comprehensive five-day cultural immersion course is held in Yangon and designed to help orientate participants to their new surroundings and give them an in-depth understanding of the history, culture, and people of Myanmar. The orientation includes in-class learning about geography, politics, culture, and language. In conjunction with classroom learning, participants will also take part in excursions to significant sites around Yangon. The accommodation during the orientation and course is located at our office and residence. Please note that rooms may have to be shared depending on availability (with someone of the same gender). TESOL
We will assist in finding accommodation, but teachers typically pay their own rent. Rent is 30
Participants can take the TESOL course and orientation in Thailand and then leave for Myanmar. There are intakes every month.
You will require a Business visa sponsorship.
• 1 x free night at the hotel in Bangkok. • Transfer from the hotel to the training centre in Thailand. • In-Country set-up.
• Age 19 – 55 years. • The Myanmar programme is open to both degree holders and those without a degree. • You must be open to placement throughout all regions of Myanmar. • Couples and friends can apply together. • You’ll need to have sufficient funds to pay for the programme fees and other associated costs of the programme, as well as to cover the cost of personal living expenses (including entertainment). • Applicants must participate in our 120-hour TESOL/TEFL course and also participate in the orientation programme. • You must be a fluent English speaker and hold a valid passport from one of the following countries: United States, United Kingdom, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa, Australia, or Ireland. • Applicants must obtain a police clearance certificate. WHAT’S INCLUDED
• Airport pickup (provided if applicant lands within four days of start date).
• Assistance with opening a bank account. • FULLY accredited TESOL/TEFL course 120 hour in-class. • All cultural excursions in Thailand: Muay Thai, elephant encounters, Thai cooking class. • Five day cultural and language orientation in Myanmar with at least two cultural excursions, including a trip to the Shwedagon Pagodal. • Shared accommodation in Thailand for four weeks during the course, with breakfast included. • Job placement. • Full background check on school/agent. • Contract negotiation. • Visa support and documentation. • Ongoing support once the participant is at their placement. • Starter Pack: Thai/Myanmar SIM card. WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED
• Medical insurance.
• Financial assistance.
• Flights. • Visas.
• Day to day transport.
• Entertainment. 31
This is a great opportunity for anyone who is looking for a bit of a career break, someone who wants job security, of course, it’s perfect for anyone with an interest in teaching but it’s not exclusively for teachers. It’s just a great chance to discover a new country and be funded while you do it.
• Earn your TESOL qualification in a classroom in Seoul • Guaranteed job placement on completion of course • Expect a monthly wage of US$1700-$1900
ARE YOU • Be aged 21-40 • Must hold a valid passport from the UK, USA, Canada, Ireland, South Africa, Australia or New Zealand • No teaching experience is required BUT you must have completed a bachelor’s degree (any field) with a minimum 2:2 grade (UK) • Be in excellent mental and physical health (you will need to undergo a compulsory medical when you arrive)
• South Korea is exceptionally modern, has a fascinating culture and has a vibrant expat community
• No criminal record
• The opportunity to extend / renew your teaching contract beyond 12 months
• You must be willing to commit to a 12-month contract
• Tattoos and piercings must not be visible or extensive
• 3 week in-class TESOL course and qualification • 1-week comprehensive cultural orientation, including • Visiting Gyeongbokgung Palace • Tae Kwon Do instruction • Basic Korean language lessons and much more! • Job placement guarantee • Flight reimbursement of up to $1000 USD • Airport pick up • Sim card, bank account set up and other necessary admin • 24/7 support in South Korea • Accommodation in a private studio apartment for the duration of your school placement • Access to online teacher network and online teaching resources • Monthly wage of up to $1700-$1900 USD • 12 Paid vacation days and South Korean public holidays • Medical and Health insurance provided for the duration of your teaching contract (additional travel insurance is recommended) WHAT CAN I EXPECT?
South Korea is highly urbanised so even towns with smaller populations will feel quite developed. We will always to our best to accommodate your preferences. • 4 week introduction to Korea • Job placements all over South Korea • Public and Private schools • Kindergarten, Primary, High School • Teach for 16 to 20 hours per week • About 4 or 5 hours a day • Plus planning time • Support & resources from TravelBud and other teachers from your class • Private studio apartment for the duration of the placement • Completion bonus – one months’ salary
The J1 training programme allows graduates and young professionals the opportunity to receive on-the-job training in their chosen career field through participation in a structured training programme with a US employer. Internships are for a minimum of six months to a maximum of 12 months. In our experience, hands on training in a particular field offers the best training for people new to a career. Nothing compares to shadowing the expertise of seasoned professionals and their unique skills.
We offer two hospitality training programmes, namely food and beverage training, and culinary training.
ARE YOU • Age 19-30 years. • Be available for 6-12 months. • Have sufficient English language skills to function on a day-to-day basis in the internship environment, and be able to express yourself clearly and comfortably in English. • Must be mature, hard-working, flexible with time, outgoing and able to interact well with others. • Have studies and experience related to hotel management, food and beverage or professional cookery.
Live the Aussie way of life and explore Australia’s vibrant art scenes, sun-drenched beaches, rugged outback and ancient Aboriginal culture. Our Australian hospitality partners provide internships for students and graduates from over 80 countries, with paid training positions within the hospitality sector (food and beverage, front office and culinary) available throughout Australia.
ARE YOU • Age 20-30 years. • Be available for 6-12 months. • Hospitality/professional cookery diploma or higher. • Be fluent in English. • Have a minimum of six months full-time work experience, or 12 months parttime. • Have relevant studies and/or experience. • Be flexible on your placement. • Have no criminal record. • Be fit, healthy, willing to work hard and open to experiencing new cultures.
We specialise in assisting people getting into the yachting industry and to progress once in it. You should be very outgoing and be able to speak English fluently (another language is a bonus). We will give you all the information you need to decide if yachting is for you before you start the booking process and begin paying for the relevant courses and flights. We have developed a very strategic yet practical formula for preparing young people venturing into the Super Yachting Industry. It can be costly and competitive, so it’s always best to do your research and speak to us before you start the process.
THINGS THAT MAY BENEFIT YOUR APPLICATION
• Hold an EU passport. • Speak another language, such as French, German, Italian, Spanish or Russian.
• Age 20-29 years.
• Be proficient in watersports such as: diving, snorkelling, jet skiing, water-skiing, surfing, kiteboarding.
• Be a competent swimmer.
• Carpentry skills. • Be a qualified chef, beautician or hairdresser. • Hold a sailing or skippers licence. • Be a yoga, pilates or fitness instructor. • Have hospitality experience in a high-end hotel or restaurant. • Electrical or marine engineering experience. • Private security or helicopter training. 38
• Fluent in English. • You must be friendly, outgoing, engaging, positive, professional and have a strong work ethic.
>>> • Be physically fit and well groomed.
By participating in one of these agriculture programmes, youâ€™ll be able to strengthen your existing skills whilst learning new techniques that will help you to feel more confident and prepared for the future. Youâ€™ll learn how precision agriculture and modern-day farming practices impact farming operations
and agribusiness around the world, giving you an insight into agriculture from a global perspective. These agriculture programmes cover many diverse fields. Youâ€™ll have the opportunity to gain hands-on experience on a bee keeping, cattle ranch, swine, equine, field crop, or sheep farm placement
This agriculture programme in the USA brings current students and young graduates together from all over the world to share and learn ideas, beliefs and agricultural practices through international paid agriculture exchange programmes.
ARE YOU • Age 19-30 years. • Be available for 6-12 months.
Whether you are looking to work on a small family farm or you want to gain experience with a large farming operation, this programme offers many opportunities that will match your field of interest.
• Have sufficient English language skills to function on a day-to-day basis in the internship environment and be able to express yourself clearly and comfortably in English. • You must be mature, hard-working, flexible, outgoing and able to interact well with others. • Must have at least an NQF level 5 or a Diploma, have an agricultural background and experience related to farming, animals, crops, dairy and cattle production.
Live and work in the Australian outback for a year. This is an amazing opportunity to earn money whilst living the Aussie way-of-life, working outdoors, exploring awesome landscapes and making lifelong friendships.
ARE YOU • Age 20-30 years.
All applicants must successfully complete their orientation and training before joining small family-run farms or larger commercial farms. The programme will include step-by-step assistance throughout the whole process, as well as an opportunity to meet other travellers at the orientation. Jobs are paid and work is guaranteed for all who successfully complete the training.
• Be able to commit for 12 months. • Have 8-12 months agricultural working experience. • Hold a recent and relevant degree (veterinary/agriculture). • Experience as a shearer, combine driver, agronomist, dog trainer or vet nurse is beneficial. • Skills in grape, olive, fish farming or agricultural tourism is beneficial. • Have no criminal record.
Fancy moving to and working in New Zealand for 12 months? Our partners are able to facilitate rural working adventures throughout the country. Applicants will be involved in the local agricultural community work and have the opportunity to get hands-on experience of New Zealand farming.
You’ll learn new skills and gain an understanding of non-subsidised agriculture whilst working at the host farms. The programme includes step-bystep assistance throughout the whole process, as well as an opportunity to meet other travellers at the orientation.
ARE YOU • Age 18-30 years (age 18-35 years for winery agriculture). • Be mature, flexible, open-minded and willing to work long hours. • Be a South African passport holder. • Have at least 8-12 months’ work experience related to the agricultural field you are looking for. • Hold a valid driving licence. • Be in good health and not in possessionof or using any drugs other than those recommended by a doctor. • Have no criminal record.
Live and work in beautiful Switzerland! This is an amazing opportunity to earn money whilst living the iconic Swiss way-of-life, working outdoors, exploring awesome landscapes and making lifelong friendships along the way!
Have you ever dreamt about spending a year working on an actual working farm in Switzerland, well here is your opportunity? To live and work in the mountains of Switzerland like a local is an iconic adventure. An opportunity to explore awesome landscapes, work incredibly hard, spending time outdoors on a working farm with likeminded people, be well compensated and come away from your experience with memories and friends which will last a lifetime!
ARE YOU • Age 20-30 years. • Commit for 6-18 months • 1-2 years agricultural work experience • Agriculture degree or diploma • Some experience with agriculture equipment, livestock as well as in the fields • Clear criminal record and an international driver’s license • Basic knowledge of German and/or willingness to learn German whilst on your program • Be fit and healthy, willing to work hard and open to new ideas and cultures • Happy to live with a host family
The Work Exchange New Zealand programme allows you to spend up to one year experiencing New Zealand, creating unforgettable experiences and making friends from all over the world. The programme provides you with everything you will need whilst working and travelling in New Zealand. On the programme, participants can work in almost any job, most settle into working in restaurants, bars, offices, retail, agriculture and ski resorts. This programme is much more than just about the job and money, it will give you the opportunity to experience New Zealand in a completely different way. It’s a fun and exciting journey of cultural discovery.
ABOUT NEW ZEALAND
Known for its adrenalin adventures and outdoor lifestyle, you can take your pick of extreme sports and new experiences in New Zealand, from bungy jumping and skydiving, to surfing in summer and skiing in winter.
ARE YOU • Age 20-30 years. • Be currently studying or a recent graduate. • Have recent or current work experience within your field of study. • Must be able to commit to a minimum of six months working in New Zealand. • Must hold a South African passport. • Have no criminal record. • Pass a pre-selection interview.
Arriving into a new country can be daunting. That’s why we’ve put together a fun and informative arrival orientation to help you settle in. Orientation runs for around three hours and will give you information on the following: • Finding a job, including CV advice. • Information and assistance with opening a bank account. • Your options to travel around New Zealand. • Tax help, including applications for your IRD (tax number).
• Advice on how to find short-term and long-term accommodation.
When it comes to natural beauty, local hospitality and outdoor adventure, nothing quite compares to the land of the long white cloud. And with help from us, you could find yourself immersed further into the New Zealand lifestyle than you may ever have thought possible!
A New Zealand gap year offers participants the chance to work alongside Kiwi locals and experience the true New Zealand. As a Gap Assistant, you’ll be on hand to help out teachers and tutors at a leading New Zealand school, working directly with the local students. A huge range of school placements are available on both the North and South islands, allowing you to get a taste of life in whichever part of this diverse country you’d like.
• Individual tutoring (boarding house supervision). • Attending school functions (assisting as necessary) • Filing, photocopying and general office tasks. • Computer literacy tasks (inside and outside the classroom). • Involvement in music & drama.
ARE YOU • Age 17-25 years (at time of arrival into New Zealand).
THE FOLLOWING ARE AREAS OF
• Be an South African, British, Canadian, European, New Zealand, or Australian passport holder.
RESPONSIBILITY IN WHICH PARTICIPANTS
• Have no pre-existing medical conditions.
ARE LIKELY TO BE INVOLVED IN
• Have no criminal record (evidence through a police clearance certificate will be required).
• Sports coaching (helping run a team). • Games supervision (general). • Activities supervision (day and evening). • Outdoor education activities (camps, etc). • Swimming pool supervision (a lifesaving certificate will be required). • Assistance with classroom, meal, transport and general supervision. • Assisting the ground staff.
• Have completed a minimum of secondary schooling prior to arrival into New Zealand. • Be fit and healthy and willing to work hard and open to new ideas and cultures. • Must be available for a 11-month commitment, commencing end of January and concluding early December.
• Step by step assistance throughout the programme for securing a Gap Assistant position in New Zealand. • Confirmed placement and contract documentation. • Pre-departure orientation (vital information to get you ready for the adventure of a lifetime). • Post arrival orientation with respective host partner so you know what is expected of you. • Back-up support throughout full length of programme. If you are accepted on the programme then something about you or your experience has made you stand out! We think you have what it takes – what a great start to your journey. This experience may be difficult at times and you will have to work hard to deal with new and potentially challenging circumstances along the way, especially at the beginning. However, this is all part of the adventure and what will make it all worthwhile and memorable during your time there and long after you have returned home. Thousands of young people have enjoyed amazing experiences in New Zealand, now it’s your turn to #StartTheAdventure
Applicants can expect to receive around USD $150-200 per week as an allowance during the school term, as well as free food and accommodation.
Are you a fan of white sandy beaches, stunning weather, an outdoor barbecue with mates or anything sports related? If you said yes to one or more of the above (and who wouldn’t?), a gap year in the land down under may be calling your name. Our Australian gap year programme gives you a taste of the Aussie lifestyle that a normal tourist could only ever dream of. You’ll work as an assistant at a leading Australian school and become immersed in every aspect of typical Australian life. A huge range of school placements are on offer throughout the country, from the stunning tropical coastline of Northern Queensland, to the rugged and impenetrable forests of Tasmania.
THE FOLLOWING ARE AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY IN WHICH PARTICIPANTS
ARE LIKELY TO BE INVOLVED IN
• Sports coaching (helping run a team). • Games supervision (general). • Activities supervision (day and evening). • Outdoor education activities (camps etc.). • Swimming pool supervision (a lifesaving certificate will be required). • Assistance with classroom, meal, transport and general supervision. • Individual tutoring (boarding house supervision). • Attending school functions (assisting as necessary). • Assisting the ground staff. • Filing, photocopying and general office tasks. • Computer literacy tasks (inside and outside the classroom.
• Age 17-25 years (at time of arrival into Australia). • Be a British, Canadian, European, New Zealand, or South African passport holder. • Have no pre-existing medical conditions. • Have no criminal record - evidence through a police clearance certificate will be required. • Have completed a minimum of secondary schooling prior to arrival into Australia. • Be fit and health and willing to work hard and open to new ideas and cultures. • Must be available for a 12-month commitment, commencing January and concluding December.
• Involvement in music & drama. 51
WHAT’S INCLUDED IN THE PROGRAMME
• Step by step assistance throughout the programme for securing a Gap Assistant position at a leading Australian school. • Confirmed placement and contract documentation. • Pre-departure orientation - vital information to get you ready for the adventure of a lifetime! • Post arrival orientation with respective host partner in Australia so you know what is expected of you. • Two night in-country orientation course upon arrival (including accommodation, breakfast and welcome dinner). • The Duty of Care course in conjunction with the Australian Boarding School Association as required by the Australian boarding standard. • Surf safety and learn to surf lesson (weather dependent). • Accommodation & food during your placement (during school terms). • An Australian SIM card, and Lonely Planet Guide to Australia. • Access to a variety of discounted tours throughout Australia, New Zealand and South-East Asia. • Two free international money transfers. • Back up support throughout full length of programme. 52
If you are accepted on the programme then something about you or your experience has made you stand out! We think you have what it takes – what a great start to your journey. This experience may be difficult at times and you will have to work hard to deal with new and potentially challenging circumstances along the way, especially at the beginning. However, this is all part of the adventure and what will make it all worthwhile and memorable during your time there and long after you have returned home. Thousands of young people have enjoyed amazing experiences in Australia, now it’s your turn to #StartTheAdventure REMUNERATION
Applicants can expect to receive around USD $150 - $250 per week as an allowance during the school term, as well as free food and accommodation.
Stunning coastlines, bustling metropolises and tropical rainforests alive with nature. Incredible food served with the warmest of hospitality. A land where old meets new and hidden gems are just waiting to be discovered. You have the opportunity to live it! It’s no wonder Thailand plays host to millions of visitors every year; the history, hospitality and natural beauty of this South-East Asian country has long captivated the hearts and minds of those who venture to its shores. And with the help of our Thailand gap year programme, you can experience Thailand as the locals do, immersing yourself in the culture by living and breathing it.
As a gap assistant, you’ll live and work in a Thai international school where English is the first language of all students. We partner with only the most reputable of schools, ensuring that you’ll enjoy your placement at a secure, clean and modern facility, often sharing your experience with a large percentage of staff from other western countries. These colleagues will be as welcoming as the locals, helping you to acclimatize to your Thai life, both professionally and socially. In fact, our partner schools are so good at sharing their slice of paradise
with new gap assistants that many previous participants have referred to their Thai schools as the ‘Hogwarts of Asia’! THE FOLLOWING ARE AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY IN WHICH PARTICIPANTS ARE LIKELY TO BE INVOLVED IN
• Sports coaching (helping run a team). • Games supervision (general). • Activities supervision (day and evening). • Outdoor education activities (camps, etc). • Swimming pool supervision (a lifesaving certificate will be required). • Assistance with classroom, meal, transport and general supervision. • Individual tutoring (boarding house supervision). • Attending school functions (assisting as necessary). • Assisting the ground staff. • Filing, photocopying and general office tasks. • Computer literacy tasks (inside and outside the classroom). • Involvement in music & drama.
• Step by step assistance throughout the programme for securing a gap assistant position at a leading school in Thailand.
• Age 21-25 years (at time of arrival into Thailand).
• Confirmed placement and contract documentation.
• Must have a bachelor’s degree
• Pre-departure orientation (vital information to get you ready for the adventure).
• Be an Australian, British, Canadian, European, New Zealand, or South African passport holder. • Have no pre-existing medical conditions. • Have no criminal record - evidence through a police clearance certificate will be required. • Have completed a minimum of secondary schooling prior to arrival into Thailand. • Be fit and healthy and willing to work hard and open to new ideas and cultures.
• Post arrival orientation with respective host partner in Bangkok so you know what is expected of you. • Accommodation & food during your placement (during school terms). • A Thai SIM card, Lonely Planet Guide on Thailand. • Access to a variety of discounted tours throughout. • Southwest Asia.
>>> • Must be available for a 12-month commitment, commencing January and concluding December.
• Two free international money transfers. • Back up support throughout full length of programme. REMUNERATION
Applicants can expect to receive around R17,000 - R29,000 per month as an allowance during the school term, as well as free food and accommodation
WORK ABROAD ARE
PROGRAMME 3 TO 12 MONTHS
NUMBER OF PROGRAMMES: 22 NUMBER OF PEOPLE WHO GO TO WORK ABROAD EACH YEAR
PROGRAMMES Teaching English in Asia
Au Pair in America
Summer Camp USA
Work & Travel New Zealand
DESTINATIONS CHINA • HONG KONG ITALY• UK • USA MACAU • MAURITIUS NEW ZEALAND AUSTRALIA
0861 785 785 WorkingHolidays.ZA@statravel.com youtube.com/statravel facebook.com/statravel twitter.com/statravelsa