Page 1

Energy Savers


 You can receive Power used (Watts) 60 discounts f o r Lifetime Energy Cost $40 energy efficient Bulb Life (Hours) 750-1,000 light bulbs and other appliances from your electricity provider

CFL 13 $10 6,000-15,000

by visiting

 Stop the phantom menace: Even when electronics are off they may still draw power. Connect electronics to power strips and turn off when not in use. Conserve & Protect Water Resources  Reduce stormwater pollution by installing a rain barrel or planting a rain garden. Runoff during intense rain events overloads the stormwater system and pollutes local streams with excess nutrients from pet waste, road and lawn chemicals, and litter.  Fix leaks fast, because every drop counts. On average, more than 10,000 gallons of water leaks from U.S. homes each year due to running toilets, dripping faucets and other household leaks.  Install a water-efficient showerhead. They are inexpensive, easy to use, and can save you up to 750 gallons a month. Visit to find more steps you can take to conserve water. Dump the Pump & Save Some Gas  By speeding, breaking, and accelerating less often you can increase your gas mileage by as much as 30%.  Take the CATA bus or carpool. Public transportation is an easy inexpensive way to get around State College. Find out how much you could save at  Even better – walk or bike to your destination. State College recently received “Bicycle Friendly Community” status from the League of American Bicyclists. State College also has a large amount of residents who walk to work (42.2% of residents walk and over 2% bike to work). 16

Fall 2012


Greening Your Neighborhood Simple tips that will save you some green, protect our environment, and beautify your neighborhood. Reduce Waste

What is the LION Walk? The LION Walk is a neighborhood welcoming program, which is jointly sponsored by the Borough of State College, Penn State University Student Affairs, and the Off-Campus Student Union (OCSU). Our community prides itself on its diversity and openness. The foundation of our community includes both students and permanent residents – Living In One Neighborhood (LION). We would like to provide you with some helpful tips and information that will enhance your State College experience. Whether you are a renter or homeowner, student or non-student – you can always learn something from your community and the people in it! How to Use This Handbook This year’s neighborhood guide comes as a handbook. It will provide you with information essential to being a resident of State College. Feel free to share this information with other members of your household, neighbors and friends. Sponsor’s Websites Use your smart phone to scan this code and be directed to the State College Borough’s website.

State College Borough Off-Campus Student Union Penn State Student Affairs 2

Did You Know?

 Instead of buying books; rent them! You can rent textbooks for a fraction of the cost of buying the books. Also, take advantage of local libraries.  If you live at a residence with curbside refuse pick up, you will be provided with both a refuse cart and organics cart. Food waste makes up the largest fraction of the material that ends up in landfills and can be composted—do your part by collecting food scraps and yard waste in your organics cart.  Bottled water is 10,000 times more expensive than tap water and puts strain on other communities’ supplies; instead, choose a reusable water bottle and fill it with local tap water. Save Energy

 Stop leaks! Finding and properly sealing air leaks around doors, windows and pipes is the number one thing you can do to reduce your energy bills. Residents living in apartments can purchase window treatments that reduce heat loss in the winter and heat gain in the summer. 15

You are required, by law, to RECYCLE in the Borough.  You can recycle…  Clear, green and brown glass bottles and jars (lids removed and discarded);  Aluminum cans, foil and pie plates;  Steel and tin (lids removed, placed inside cans);  EMPTY aerosol cans and paint cans;  Narrow-neck plastic bottles, only, with caps removed (caps can be placed in bin);  Clean, dry newspaper, phonebooks, paperboard, magazines, & office paper;  Clean, dry corrugated cardboard (no waxed or oily cardboard, pizza boxes, or Styrofoam peanuts);  Wide-neck plastics containers are now accepted at drop-off locations.  Recycling costs only $5/ton, whereas trash disposal costs the Borough $70/ton.  The Borough’s recycling efforts save over 93 billion BTU’s of energy each year, the equivalent of avoiding the use of 10 thousand barrels of oil.  The amount of paper recycled in the Borough is equivalent to the paper produced from over 90,000 seedlings if grown for 10 years.

Biking Around the Neighborhood In State College, bicycles must be registered. Registering your bike is easy and will assist the police in locating your bicycle if it is stolen or lost. Register your bike with the State College Police Department, at participating bicycle shops or online through Penn State’s Transportation Services at To register your bike, you will need the make, model and serial number. Registration is free and good for up to 2 years.

Did You Know?  When passing a cyclist, Pennsylvania Law now requires you to provide a four-foot buffer between the cyclist and your vehicle.  Cycling regularly can increase your lifespan by up to 14 months!  The average annual cost to maintain a bicycle is approximately

$300, more than $7,000 less than the cost to maintain a car.

Important Numbers to Know Emergency: 9-1-1 Off Campus: Centre County Non-Emergency Toll Free .................... 800-479-0050 Centre County Women’s Resource Center.................... 877-234-5050 Centre Region Code Administration ............................. 814-231-3056 Centre Volunteers in Medicine ...................................... 814-231-4043 Community Help Centre (24 Hour Hotline) .................. 814-237-5855 Community Help Centre (24 Hour Help Line).............. 800-494-2500 Mid-Penn Legal Services .............................................. 814-238-4958 Mount Nittany Medical Center ...................................... 814-231-7000 National Poison Control Center..................................... 800-222-1222 State College Borough Office ....................................... 814-234-7100 State College Borough Parking Department ................. 814-234-7131 State College Police ....................................................... 814-234-7150

Remember to Follow these Rules of the Road:  As a cyclist, you must obey all traffic signs as if you are driving any

other vehicle.  You can be fined for locking your bike to trees, sign posts or parking

meters in the Borough.  Bike racks and posts provided by the Borough on streets and sidewalks

can be used to secure bikes for up to 3 consecutive days.  Bike posts and racks inside Borough parking garages can be used to

secure bikes for up to 30 consecutive days.  Riding on downtown sidewalks between Atherton and High Streets and

College and Foster Avenues is not permitted.  If cycling between sunset and sunrise, your bicycle must be equipped

with front and rear reflectors and front and rear bike lights that are visible for at least 500 feet.  Children under the age of 12 are required to wear a


On Campus: Center for Women Students .......................................... 814-863-2027 Counseling and Psychological Services ........................ 814-863-0395 Office of Student (Financial) Aid .................................. 814-865-6301 Office of Student Conduct ............................................. 814-863-0342 Off-Campus Living ....................................................... 814-865-2346 Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life ........................... 814-863-8065 Registrar ........................................................................ 814-865-6357 University Health Services ............................................ 814-863-0774 University Park Undergraduate Association ................. 814-863-4326 University Police ........................................................... 814-863-1111 UPUA Legal Services.................................................... 814-867-2197 Walking Service ............................................................ 814-865-9255

For links to more information about cycling in State College visit 14


Getting Around Town by Bus

Get to Know Your Neighborhood Being a good neighbor is easy! Try these suggestions: Meet Your Neighbor: Next time you see your neighbor, take the time to say “Hello!” and engage in some light conversation. Keep in Touch: Exchange contact information. This aids you in being seen as an individual and not as another random student or resident that just lives on the street. Communicate: Keep neighbors informed when you are about to have a party, getting a new pet, or going away for the weekend. These events may affect them too and making them aware is the polite thing to do. Give your neighbors your phone number so they may contact you if there is a problem. Put Yourself in Your Neighbor’s Home: Realize that a major source of irritation is noise. If you are out on the street late at night, don’t shout into your phone or burst into a random song. Someday, you may have to be at work or class at 8 a.m. Resolve Conflicts Civilly: If you have a problem with a neighbor, try to work it out informally with a friendly phone call or note. Put yourself in your neighbor’s shoes. Give a Helping Hand: If your neighbors need a hand, give them one. They will appreciate your friendliness and will be more willing to help you when you are in need. Keep it Clean: Keep up the appearance of your dwelling: put trash in proper receptacles and remove the receptacles from the curb after collection, do not place overstuffed furniture on the porch, install curtains in windows, and clean lawns and sidewalks of litter. Drive Smart: Watch out for pedestrians and bicyclists. Don’t block driveways or sidewalks when you park. The speed limit in residential areas, as well as on Beaver and College Avenues, is 25 miles per hour. Be Considerate of Differences: A person’s age, faith, ethnic background and family status can dramatically affect his or her daily life. You’ll find that your neighbors have diverse backgrounds, careers and experiences. Be aware of the differences and respect them. 4

CATABUS The CATABUS fixed-route community bus system provides service between Downtown State College, the Penn State University Park Campus, and many special points of interest, as well as service to Bellefonte, Pleasant Gap and Stormstown. It also includes fare-free LOOP and LINK circulators and cross-campus service. Regular Fare: $1.50 Did You Know? CATARIDE CATA provides curb-to-curb transportation for all patrons and provides the service at a reduced fare for senior citizens, age 65 and over, as well as persons whose disability makes using CATA buses impossible. The program requires an application (which must be approved in advance by CATA) and reservations for each trip. CATACOMMUTE

 Based on ridership, CATA is the third  

largest transit Authority in PA. Cash, tokens and passes may be used for fare on all routes. CATABUS drivers do not carry change. If paying cash, have exact change. You can purchase tokens or a pass at the CATA office on the corner of Beaver Avenue and Allen Street. On CATA’s website, riders can view online tutorials on how to ride the bus, read bus schedules, use CATA’s busmounted bike racks, and more. At you can see where your bus is in real-time and when it is expected to reach your stop. Download CATA’s app for the iPhone and Android devices to get real-time information on the go.

Long-distance commuters can utilize CATACOMMUTE, a variety of transportation services that includes RideShare, Vanpool and Guaranteed Ride Home programs and various other services, providing easy and economical commute alternatives. Service, Route, Schedule and Pass Information: (814) 238-CATA(2282) 13

Respect Your Neighbors

Parking on Your Own Property Whether you own or rent, all vehicles must be parked on approved parking areas. Fines are issued for parking on lawns ($25) or between sidewalks and curbs ($15). A fine may be issued each day the violation is observed. Parking on Someone Else’s Property The Borough does not have jurisdiction in private parking lots. Private lot owners may have unauthorized vehicles towed, but warning signs must be posted. If your vehicle is not where you left it, call the Police Department at (814) 234-7150. If your vehicle has To avoid a parking been towed, they can tell you how to ticket DO NOT reclaim it. park… 

Payment and Appeals If you get a ticket, you should promptly respond whether you are paying the fine or filing an appeal. Appeals may be filed within 48 hours of the ticket being issued at the Municipal Building or online. If you do not respond in one of the ways listed, your ticket will be filed with the District Magistrate where additional costs will be levied.

  

Tickets may be paid by: 

Mailing a personal check or money order (No cash please).

Paying in person at the Municipal Building.

Leaving the ticket with payment in the after hours drop box in the Municipal Building lobby.

Paying online at the Borough’s website, (At the bottom of the homepage, click on “Online Payments,” and then click on “Parking Tickets”). 12

 

 

At bus stops or in loading or theatre zones; Between the sidewalk and curb; Within 15 feet of a fire hydrant; Within 20 feet of a crosswalk or intersection; Within 30 feet of a stop sign; More than 12 inches from the curb; Overnight where No Parking 2 a.m.- 6 a.m. signs are posted; Against traffic or where traffic will be obstructed; In front of driveways; In a handicap space without a placard (fines start at $50).

Borough ordinances were developed with the expressed intent to keep you and your neighborhood safe and the Borough a pleasant place to live. Keep these regulations in mind to avoid any potential conflicts. Noise & Disturbances Noise disturbances are a serious problem in the Borough neighborhoods. Excessive noise that can be heard off of the property of the noise source is too loud and must be turned down. Fines can be levied for violations. The full Noise Control Ordinance can be found at under Borough Codes. Questions regarding these laws should be directed to the police department at (814) 234-7150. Alcohol Open containers are prohibited on any public street, sidewalk, alley, park, parking lot, or parking garage whether in a vehicle or on foot.

Pets All dogs are required to be licensed annually. Dogs AND cats must be given a rabies vaccine every 3 years. Dogs off the owner’s property must be kept on a leash. Owners of dogs are responsible for removing their dog’s feces on all public and private property, as well as complying with the Borough’s barking ordinance. Fines can be issued for non-compliance. To check for a lost pet, call the Department of Ordinance Enforcement and Public Health at (814) 234-7191. Recycling State law mandates that residents recycle selected materials. Failure to follow the required recycling procedures may result in fines. Questions regarding recycling should be directed to the Department of Ordinance Enforcement and Public Health at (814) 234-7191 or the Centre County Recycling and Refuse Authority at (814) 238-7005. 5

Respect Your Neighbors (cont.)

Where Do I Park?

Snow Removal All snow and ice must be removed from the full length and width of sidewalks and sidewalks must be cleared at the intersections to allow for safe crossing of pedestrians and wheelchairs within 24 hours after the snow stops falling. If the sidewalks are not cleared, fines may be levied against the property owner. In addition, the Borough can make arrangements for the sidewalks to be cleared at the property owner’s expense. Questions regarding snow removal should be directed to the Department of Ordinance Enforcement and Public Health at (814) 234-7191.

Parking on the Street with a Permit Some streets have been designated as commuter permit or residential permit parking areas. On commuter permit streets, long-term parking is restricted to those who have a permit. If you do not have a permit, you may park there as posted. On residential permit streets, residents of abutting properties may purchase a permit that allows long-term parking. Without this permit, parking is limited to either 1 or 2 hours as posted. Regardless of permits, overnight parking is not allowed. If you are unsure if it is okay to park on a street, check out the green and white or red and white signs along the street for more information on where to park. Where to Go? Parking Garages To purchase permits or find There are three parking garages located additional information on downtown: parking visit or call the Parking Department:  100 block of South Pugh Street Municipal Building,  100 block of South Fraser Street 1st Floor  200 block of West Beaver Avenue 243 South Allen Street These garages are open 24/7 at a rate of (814) 278-4769 $0.75/hr. Overnight parking is a reduced rate of $0.50/hr from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. Parking is free on Thursdays after 6 p.m. and all day Sunday with the exception of special events and home football weekends. A limited number of monthly parking rentals are also available in the garages. Cash, credit cards, and Borough EZ Cards are accepted. Parking Decks, Lots & Meters There are three lots and one parking deck with metered parking:  100 block of South Fraser Street (3 hour maximum)  100 block of West Beaver Avenue (3 hour maximum)  200 block of South Allen Street (5 hour maximum)  100 block of McAllister Street (3 & 5 hour maximum) On-street meters are available throughout the downtown. Gold meters offer either 90 minute or 2 hour parking, red meters provide 30 minute parking, and silver meters offer 5 hour parking. The rate for on-street meters is $1.00/hr. On-street meters are enforced Monday-Saturday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Lots and decks are enforced until 10 p.m., with the exception of Thursday when enforced until 6 p.m. only.



Refuse All household refuse must be stored in appropriate containers. Properties must be maintained free of accumulated refuse; fines are provided for those in violation. Party materials – cans, cups, bottles, etc.—should be cleaned up immediately after a party or other event. Person(s) who accumulate refuse will be held responsible for its cleanup. When the person(s) are not known, then the property owner will be held responsible. The fine for refuse violations is $100, at a minimum. Questions about refuse collection should be directed to the Public Works Department at (814) 234-7135. Lawns Grass and weeds must be kept less than 6 inches high; failure to do so can result in a $50 fine. Lawns are also not to be used for the parking of motor vehicles, and doing so will result in fines being levied. Roof Occupancy Any activities on a roof can result in citations with fines ranging from $300 to $1,000. Fire Pits & Bonfires Burning outdoors is permitted for recreational purposes, but ONLY when using an approved container. Fires must be contained within the diameter of the container; camp fires and bonfires are prohibited. Gas and charcoal grills can be used for outdoor cooking.

Don’t Let Your Home Go Up In Smoke Quick Tips that Could Save Your Life and Your Home: 

Do not disable your smoke detector for any reason and never take the batteries out of the alarm. You could be fined $150, at a minimum, for tampering with your smoke detector. Should a fire

Smoke detectors are required to be installed adjacent to sleeping areas in all dwelling units. Test the alarm at least once a month simply by pressing the “test” button.

emergency occur, call 911 immediately

Know at least two ways out of your house or apartment, in case one is blocked by smoke or fire.

Never walk away from a hot stove or cooking food.

Keep candles at least 12 inches away from anything flammable. NEVER leave a candle unattended. Always blow out candles before going to bed.

Turn off all decorations, including light strings, before leaving home or going to bed.

If you smoke, use a deep, wide ashtray, instead of potting soil planters or soda cans. 

Fire extinguishers must be in furnace rooms, laundry rooms, and common hallways of every rooming house or apartment building, as well as in the kitchen of every rental dwelling unit.

Do not plug space heaters into extension cords. Turn off your space heaters when you leave the room. Keep space heaters at least three feet away from anything that can burn.

When using a grill keep it at least 10 feet away from siding, deck railings, and out from under leaves and hanging branches.

Remember Outside burning is not permitted. Setting off fireworks, firecrackers, sparklers, rockets, or any other explosives is illegal in the Borough of State College. 10

Renter’s Guide Occupancy of Rental Units Regulations limit 3 unrelated persons per unit, in one- and two-family rentals. Some exceptions exist, but these must be designated by the Borough. If you have reason to believe a rental property is over occupied contact the Zoning If you have a Office at (814) 234-7190. problem that the owner or manager refuses to correct, call the rental housing hotline at (814) 238-CODE.

Rental Housing

All rental housing is required to have a rental permit that is regulated by the Centre Region Building Safety and Property Maintenance Code. The code requires that the property owner must maintain the structure in a safe and sanitary condition. The occupants are required to maintain those conditions as well. Failure to comply may result in fines. Tenant Notification The property owner or manager is required by the Borough to notify all tenants (at least annually) of Borough ordinance requirements and provide information of whom to contact should there be an unresolved maintenance/ safety/health problem in the unit. Know Your Rights

If a property owner/manager continually violates Borough ordinances, their rental housing permit may be suspended. If this occurs, the property must be vacated and remain unoccupied for the duration of the suspension.

As a tenant you have the following rights: 

You cannot be denied housing based on race, color, religion, age, ancestry, national origin, place of birth, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, source of income, disability or handicap, presence of a support animal, pregnancy, birth of a child or marital or familial status..

During the first year of your lease, the security deposit cannot exceed two month’s rent. If the lease is renewed for another year, the deposit is then limited to the cost of one month’s rent.

If you have a problem or dispute with your landlord, you can call the Attorney General’s Bureau of Consumer Protection at 1-800-441-2555 for assistance. 7

Party Smart

Basic Safety Tips

A successful party means that everything went according to plan, no one was inconvenienced and everyone enjoyed themselves. The following are suggestions to guide your party in the right direction:

Before the Party

 Alcohol poisoning is a MEDICAL EMERGENCY: Call 911.  If you are drinking, make sure you eat something too. This will help

 Invite a manageable number of guests

and know whom you are inviting. Do not publicize the event.  Inform your neighbors and encourage them to contact you if there is a problem. Be sure to leave your name and phone number so they can contact you if they have any questions.  Know your guests. Turn away

During the Party

those who you do not know and those who are intoxicated. Do not serve alcohol to minors; have someone check ID’s to be sure.

 Provide non-alcoholic beverages, as well as food for your

guests. No one should leave the house with a cup - empty or full.  Be sure responsible individuals stay sober during the entire

party to monitor for noise or other problems.  Keep windows closed and periodically walk around the

outside of your house/apartment to check the noise level.  Keep balconies closed off and stay on your own property.  Have guests leave at a steady pace to reduce noise and

traffic congestion. Do not let anyone drive home intoxicated.

After the Party


 Clean up any trash associated with

your party immediately.  Thank your neighbors for their


you absorb the alcohol you consume, lessening your chances of alcohol poisoning and involvement in risky situations.  Know your limit! Check out the University Health Services BAC

Guide for more information.  NEVER leave your drink unattended or accept a drink that was

already opened or not made in front of you.  Drugs and alcohol do not mix. This includes over-the-counter (OTC)

and prescription medications.  Stay away from crowded balconies.  Combining energy drinks with alcohol does not make you less

intoxicated and will not lower your blood alcohol content. The combination of the two may even cause you to drink more alcohol than you would normally consume. Personal Safety  When out at night, have a friend walk with you.  If you think someone is following you, switch

directions or cross the street. Move quickly toward an open store or lighted house.  Do not be afraid to yell for help or call 911 if

you feel threatened. Safety at Home  When leaving your home, remember to lock the door.  Do not hide extra keys in easily accessible places or leave a schedule

of your times away from home on your answering machine, on the door, or on social networking sites.  Do not let strangers into your home. Always ask to see proper

identification before allowing a repairman, inspector, or utility worker into your residence.

Party Smart Guidelines, West Chester University Off-Campus and Commuter Association ‘06-‘07



LION Guide 2012  

Living In One Neighborhood Neighbor Guide

Read more
Read more
Similar to
Popular now
Just for you