brethren 27 in number with 6 visiting brethren, after doing the business of the Lodge applicable to the occasion, walked in grand procession from the Lodge Room to the town Hall where they spent a few hours with concord and happiness by giving a Ball to a brilliant assembly of ladies invited on the occasion an where all was happiness and joy to the unanimous approbation of every brother and sister”. After a few hours thus agreeably spent with the sisterhood and brethren returned to the Lodge room, finished the business of the Lodge and the meeting concluded as it began in the greatest harmony and brotherly love after drinking a number of loyal and Masonic toasts- the “characteristic of the craft”. There have been two Masonic offspring’s from lodge St Magdalene, Lodge St Peters Mouswald and Lodge Quhytewoollen Lockerbie. The charter was granted to St Peters Lodge in 1810 an a Petition by the members of lodge ST Magdalene resident in Mouswald and supported by the Lodge ST Peters however is now defunct. Lodge Quhytewoollen received its charter in 1815 on a Petition by the members of lodge St Magdalene who lived in Lockerbie. This Petition was also cordially supported by the lodge, which had the gratification of joining in the celebration of its offspring’s 150th Anniversary in 1965. Prior to the First World War it was the custom for Masonic Lodges to lay the foundation Stones of important buildings and Lodge St Magdalene had its fair share in these ceremonies. The lodge performed or supported a neighbouring lodge in performing the laying of a great number of foundation Stones.
Owing to certain differences which had arisen with Lodge Quhytewoollen regarding the ceremonial procedure (which did not effect the inherent harmony that existed between the two lodges), Lodge St Magdalene did not attend the Laying of the Foundation Stone of the Shillahill Bridge over the River Anan in 1829, but 3 years later the Lodge did support Lodge Quhytewoollen at the Laying of the Foundation Stone over the River Milk. The first reference in the minutes to a Divine Service organized by the lodge is in the minute of the Lodge Meeting on St John’s Day (27th December) 1777, when a sermon was preached by MR. Henderson, Schoolmaster in Lochmaben and a Preacher of the gospel. The next reference is in the minute of 27th December (St John’s Day) 1796, where it is recorded that the brethren to the number of “70 marched in Procession in the church when a sermon was preached by the Rev. Mr. Henderson, of Dryfesdale, Lockerbie. Thereafter the brethren processed through different streets in the town, colour flying and music playing back to the lodge Room where they dined together and toasts were given and the proceedings concluded with a Ball in the evening”. There is no record of any other Divine Service until July 1915 when a service was held in the Parish Church, Lochmaben. The Preacher was the Rev. John McColl, minister of the Church, and who a few years later was Right Worshipful Master of the Lodge. So successful was this Service that it might be said to have inaugurated the Lodge’s Annual church Service that has been held more or less regularly until quite recently. For over 200 years harmony
The monthly magazine of Lodge Stirling Royal Arch No.76