Heritage Hills 53rd Annual Homes Tour Presenting Sponsors Renate and Chuck Wiggin
S AT U R D AY & S U N D AY
October 5 & 6, 2019 noon to 5 p.m.
WWW. H E R I T A G E H I L L S . O R G
53rd Annual Homes Tour
2019 Sponsorships Benefiting Wilson Elementary Arts Integration School and Commemorating the 100th Anniversary of Wilson Elementary School
PRESENTING SPONSORS RENATE AND CHUCK WIGGIN Thank you!
Delaware Resource Group and the The Busey Family
Williams, Box, Forshee & Bullard, P.C. ATTORNEYS AND COUNSELLORS
NW 18 Lee
NW 15 NW 14
N Broadway Ave
NW 21 NW 20
NW 23 NW 22
Tour Information & Map
5 2 6
NW 17 NW 16
1 St Luke’s parking lot
NW 13th St
Homes on the Tour
HOMES 1) 325 ON NWTHE 15thTOUR St
2) 300 NW 17th St
1) 325 NW 15th St 5) 1815 N Hudson Ave 3) 220 NW 19th 2) 300 NW 17th St 6) St 405 NW 15th Street4) Wilson Elementary SchoolMansion The Overholser 3) 220 NW 19th St 7) 436Ave NW 14th St 5) School 1815 N Hudson 4) Wilson Elementary
6) The Overholser Mansion 7) 436 NW 14th St Come to the Overholser Mansion to see the renovated Carriage House, view videos of early times in the Heritage Hills Historic Preservation stopsand at St Luke’s Parking Lot District,Shuttle enjoy a snack, browse the gift sales table.
(red circle indicator) and all homes (black house indicator)
Will Call: Days of tour: Will Call tickets will be available at the Overholser Mansion, Wilson Elementary School, and each tour home.
Shuttle Transportation and Tour: The complimentary tour shuttle will run in a loop with stops at each home and the St. Luke's parking lot.
Parking: Parking will be available at St. Luke's Methodist Church southwest corner of 14th St. and N. Harvey Ave., across the street from St. Luke's Methodist Church.
Public Restrooms: Restrooms will be available for public use at the Overholser Mansion and Wilson Elementary School.
Table of Contents
Overholser sponsorships.............................................................. 1 Tour Information................................................................................ 2 Tour Map..................................................................................................... 2 Welcome & History of heritage hills............................... 4-8 Home Tour Committee Members................................................ 11 Historical Preservation, Inc. .....................................................15 Special thanks to Ticket Sales locations........................15 All sponsors................................................................................. 24-25 Wilson Elementary Arts Integration School..... 30-34 Advertiser List.....................................................................................45 Past HOME TOUR CHAIRS ..................................................................45 Special Thanks for Contributions........................................45 ClaSsen sponsorships.............................. Inside back Cover Colcord sponsorship............................................. Back Cover
Homes on the Tour 325 NW 15th St.................................................................................12-13 300 NW 17th St............................................................................... 18-19 220 NW 19th St .............................................................................. 26-27 501 NW 21st St - Wilson Elementary School ..........30-33 1815 N Hudson Ave....................................................................... 36-37 405 NW 15th Street - The Overholser Mansion.....42-43 436 NW 14th St............................................................................... 46-47 3
STOR ICA L
R VA T I O N
Dear Friends and Citizens of Greater Oklahoma City:
elcome to the 53rd annual Heritage Hills Homes Tour, which celebrates the 50th anniversary of the 1969 enactment of the Historic Preservation Ordinance, called the HP Ordinance, and the 100th anniversary of Wilson Elementary School.
Enactment of the HP Ordinance in 1969 Deterred Inner-City Decay The HP Ordinance was crafted by the Oklahoma City Historical Preservation Commission, created at the urging of Heritage Hills leaders by the City of Oklahoma City and its progressive Mayor, George H. Shirk, long-time president of the Oklahoma Historical Society. The HP Commission and the Oklahoma City Planning Department embarked on a twoyear study, which included a housing stock survey of all properties from NW 10th to NW 23rd, Broadway to Classen Blvd. The result was enactment by the City Council of the HP Ordinance in 1967, and shortly thereafter, creation of the Heritage Hills Preservation District, Oklahoma City’s first historic preservation district, which imposed zoning regulations to preserve the unique historic resources of Oklahoma City located in Heritage Hills. While Heritage Hills was the first historic preservation district in the City, other neighborhoods soon took steps to protect the unique historic aspects of their
neighborhoods with the creation of other historic preservation districts, thereby preserving inner City neighborhoods during times of widespread inner-city decay. Heritage Hills would not exist today where it not for the efforts of its leaders, past and present, and enactment of the HP Ordinance. An 80-year Effort to Save and Protect Heritage Hills Prior to enactment of the HP Ordinance, the historic resources of Oklahoma City had been under attack since the 1930’s, marked by a series of battles, some won, some lost. Leaders of Heritage Hills long battled commercial encroachment throughout Heritage Hills, funding and filing successful lawsuits in the District Court and winning in appeals to the Oklahoma Supreme Court. However, intense commercial pressure in the 1960’s required a new approach, the enactment of an Historic Preservation Ordinance. Loss of NW 13th and the Homes of City Pioneers Charles Colcord and Anton Classen In 1929, there was no commercial property on NW 13th Street from Robinson west to Shartel. It was a residential Street showcased by the stately mansions of Charles F. Colcord, the builder of the City’s
First skyscraper in 1910, now the Colcord Hotel, and Anton B. Classen, namesake of Classen Schools and Classen Blvd. The Colcord Mansion, with its neighboring residences, pictured here, was located on the north side of NW 13th between Walker and Hudson Avenues, adjoining what is now the southern boundary of Heritage Hills Preservation District homes on NW 14th. It is surprising and regrettable that NW 13th became a commercial street at all. It is not a section line road, as are NW 10th and NW 23rd, and it terminates at Western Ave. on the west, but its commercialization occurred before modern understanding of the value of preserving inner city neighborhoods and historic resources. Standard Life Insurance Company acquired the Colcord Home and other properties along NW 13th and demolished it in the 1960’s, constructing the nearwindowless office building that exists today, though no longer occupied by Standard Life.
This destruction was a catalyst for enactment of the HP Ordnance. The Colcord Home was located immediately to the south and east of the Randolph Home at 436 NW 14th, which is on this year’s Historic Homes Tour. The home of Anton B. Classen was located at 433 NW 13th at the northeast corner of Walker Ave and NW 13th, now the site of a parking lot serving the former Standard Life Building immediately to the south of the west grounds of the Randolph Home. Today the Randolph Home is a restoration in progress, which would not be occurring were it not for the protection of the HP Ordinance! NW 14th Street Saved In the 1960’s Standard Life also acquire and converted residences on several blocks of NW 14th to office uses, including the classical Elizabethan mansion at 1414 N. Hudson (slated in 1964 to be demolished and used as a parking lot), the Spanish revival treasure at 1415 N. Hudson and the continued to page 6
continued from page 5
Neo-classical masterpiece at 500 NW 14th, each ringing with unique stories of famous people who created the colorful history of Oklahoma City. The efforts of Heritage Hills residents saved NW 14th and saved these stately architectural gems, which have been occupied by generations of family in the ensuing 50 years. Today, the Ordinance protects NW 14th. Were it not for the HP Ordinance, NW 14th would have surely met the fate of NW 13th! NW 16th Street Saved. In 1966 the Oklahoma State Highway Department unveiled a plan to construct a wide boulevard along NW 16th Street from Classen Blvd to Broadway, which would provide a north expressway loop around Downtown. This plan would have required the demolition of scores of historical homes in Heritage Hills and
Mesta Park, and many of Oklahoma City’s finest architectural treasures. Moreover, this plan would have divided and created a barrier between Heritage Hills and Mesta Park homes located to the north and south of the roadway. Heritage Hills mobilized and, with the help of Mayor Shirk who recommended creation of an historic presentation ordinance, stopped the plan and saved Heritage Hills and Mesta Park. City’s History Preserved for Future Generations in HP Districts by Private Owners Historic preservation ordinances protect the fragile historic resources of Oklahoma City, and are places where the history of our City, its leaders, famous and infamous, and its architectural pearls, are preserved for current and future citizens city-wide. These historical treasures are not preserved by the expenditure of city funds.
Rather, historical homes are restored and maintained by their private owners, most of whom consider ownership a sacred trust for future generations. Historic Preservation and the Success of Oklahoma City The quality and standing of a city, its sense of place, and its quality of life is determined in part by the extent to which it preserves and maintains its historical and architectural resources. This urban planning precept was understood by the Heritage Hills leaders and Mayor George Shirk who championed the HP Ordinance, as well as the members of the City Council who enacted the Ordinance 50 years ago. Through their vision we now enjoy not only Heritage Hills and other historic neighborhoods, but also the success of Oklahoma City over this last half century. Historic Preservation as an Economic Development Tool Highly recruited employers bringing quality jobs are attracted to a city’s quality of life, which is greatly influenced by its preservation of historic and architectural resources. For example, the dilapidated and abandoned warehouse district east of the Downtown area was once ripe for the wrecker’s ball; but today Bricktown has contributed mightily to the ongoing success of Downtown. Oklahoma City economic development recruiters have long showcased Heritage Hills, other historic neighborhoods and Bricktown to economic development prospects as tangible examples of the vibrancy and quality of life in our City. 100th Anniversary of Wilson Elementary Arts Integration School A vibrant city and its neighborhoods require quality education. This year’s Historic Homes Tour also celebrates the 100th Anniversary of Wilson School at 501 NW 21st, which is a stop on this year’s Historic Homes Tour. For 100 years it has educated the children of Heritage Hills
and adjoining neighborhoods, in some cases successive generations of Heritage Hills families. The histories of Wilson, an Oklahoma City public school, and Heritage Hills are intertwined. Playing key roles in this 100th Anniversary Cerebration are Heritage Hills residents, including the Presenting Sponsors of the 2019 Historical Homes Tour, Renate and Chuck Wiggin, and also Wilson alum Amy Sergent, who has been a Heritage Hills resident since 1964. In honor of Wilson, Heritage Hills has solicited sponsorships benefitting the school, most received from Heritage Hills residents, and we are now on track to exceed our $50,000 goal. Historic Preservation Requires Eternal Vigilance In the 50 years since enactment of the HP Ordinance, generation after generation of Heritage Hills residents and leaders, including our current president Bill Carey, have been champions for the cause of historic preservation. They have argued for upholding the HP Ordinance and the protection of Heritage Hills in the City’s consideration of historic applications, public improvement and beatification plans, and the resolution of controversies. In this pursuit, Heritage Hills has expended hundreds of thousands of dollars for legal fees, traffic studies, public improvement and beautification plans, and for the implementation of these plans. Moreover, Heritage Hills has spent decades advising and counseling homeowners as to historical preservation best-practices and techniques to ensure compliance with the HP Ordinance. In all of this, Heritage Hills has been aided by the professional urban and historic planners of our City’s Planning Department, and the dedicated volunteers who have served and are serving as members of the City’s Historical Preservation Commission. continued to page 8
continued from page 7
Ever mindful of the demolition of the Colcord and Classen Homes and the commercialization of NW 13th, for 50+ years the residents and leaders of Heritage Hills have, through their actions, said ‘Never Again’, and have pursued a path of eternal vigilance for the preservation of our City’s remarkable history and architecture. The result of this ongoing effort is the Heritage Hills that exists today, preserved and enhanced homes on this year’s Historic
Homes Tour, and the preservation of Oklahoma City’s irreplaceable historical resources located in Heritage Hills, all of which have contributed to the quality of life and extraordinary success of our entire City over this last half century.
—John Michael Williams Co-chair with Kathy Williams of the 2019 Historic Homes Tour
Williams, Box, Forshee & Bullard, P.C. ATTORNEYS AND COUNSELLORS 522 Colcord Drive, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Heritage Hills Neighborhood Cookbook The Role of Food in Creating & Sustaining a Neighborhood
For information, visit www.heritagehills.org
STOR ICA L
R VA T I O N
2019 Home Tour Committee
Home Tour Co-Chairs Home Tour Sustaining Chairs Public Relations Treasurers Social Media
Kathy & John Michael Williams Mary Kay Gumerlock & Diane Worthington Sandra Kirk Margaret Brooks & Chase Schnebel Barbara Brockhaus & Sandra Kirk
Twilight Tour Chair Twilight Tour Committee
Sara Sweet Som Carmen, Miranda Grant, Cherish Ralls, & Erin Hoenig Sullivan Maureen & Jim Watson
Twilight Tour Hosts Sponsorship Chair Sponsorship Committee
Catalog Advertising Catalog Home Descriptions Head Host Coordinators Head Hosts for the Busey Home Head Hosts for the Felsenthal/Jenkins Home Head Host for the Hogan Home Head Hosts for the Randolph Home Head Hosts for the Shirley Home Wilson Centennial Liaison Ticket & Poster Distribution Shuttle Tour Homeowner Dinner Hosts Food & Refreshment Chair Cookbook Chair-Gift Sales Volunteer Party Flags/ Benches/ Tables Photography Website Banners Entertainment HPI 2nd VP HPI President
Kyle Sweet Nancy Nagle, Shannon Rundell, John Michael Williams, Kathy Williams Mary Kay Gumerlock, Shannon Rundell, Kathy Williams, Diane Worthington John Chadwick Tom Brown & Rita Chapman Leah & Alan Kirkpatrick Margaret & Tony Brooks Marsha Funk Nancy & Mark Nagle Rainy Broussard & Lisa Edmonds Amy Sergent Courtney Blau Karren Napier & Ellen Pogemiller Denise & Ron Suttles Merideth Ferris Nancy Kerr, Trudy White & Lillian Yoeckel Amber Corbin & Family Michael Nichols, Iconic Construction Kerwin Moore Matt Krodel Buz Goodrich & Matt Ralls Amy Sergent Diane Worthington Bill Carey
he home located at 325 NW 15th Street was built by Daniel W. Hogan, Chairman of the City National Bank, in 1912. Designed by noted architect, J.W. Hawk who designed some of the state’s most famous buildings such as the Governor’s Mansion, Biltmore Hotel (now demolished), the Cotton Exchange Building at 218 North Harvey as well as the famous Scottish Rite Temple in Guthrie, Oklahoma. The cost to build this home was $30,000.00 ($750,000 by today’s standards). It is designed in the Italianate style that features a rectangular floor plan, wide eaves, low-pitched roof and a balanced arrangement of doors and windows.
Several of Mr. Hawk’s original blueprints are on display in the “Gentlemen’s Withdrawing Room”, now known as the bar/lounge. Additional drawings are also displayed in frames on the way to the Ballroom. The 24” thick masonry exterior walls are fashioned from buff-colored brick and feature quoins on all corners including the columns on the front porch and the columns on the porte-cochere. Applied to these quoined corners are medallions further enhancing the decoration. Not missing a detail, Mr. Hawk also added the decorative elements to the chimney on the east side of the home. The wide roof
325 NW 15th St
features exposed carved rafter tails. Decorative iron railings crown the front porch and the porte-cochere. A tile roof completes the Italianate design. The interior walls are made of 18” solid masonry which have withstood all tests and are a frugal user of energy. As one enters the home, please note the mosaic tile floors and the exquisite hand-painted, raised-plaster art nouveauinspired ceiling in the vestibule. This ceiling treatment is repeated again in the ceiling at the Carriage Entrance. As one enters Center Hallway, one is greeted by the elaborate warm, quarter-sawn oak woodwork. Quarter sawing oak produces
a decorative effect which shows a prominent ray fleck like sapele. Intricate carvings on the newel post and the railings repeat the attention to detail given to the exterior. The Living Room and the Dining Room also exhibit beautifully- detailed crown paneling. Of particular note is the Music Room which has the original plasterraised pattern bespoke walls with handpainted detail that is seen on the ceilings of the vestibule and carriage entrance. The method of doing this plaster work is similar to the technique used in champlevé enameling where the pattern is created by raised elements and then filled with color. The shading on this work is amazingly beautiful and believed to be original. The kitchen which overlooks the rear gardens has been completely redesigned into a modern Chef ’s kitchen. There are five bedrooms and four bathrooms on the second floor. One of the most beautiful and wellpreserved features of this home is the ballroom in the basement which features original hand-painted Italian fresco walls and a 15' x 15' Mosler walk-in vault installed while Mr. Hogan was President of City Bank. As the visitor exits this home through the carriage entrance, please note the “h” on each of the corbels indicating the original owner’s initial. A guest apartment over the three-car garage completes this residence. The distinguished provenance of this home includes a reception for a Federal Judge, several Oklahoma Governors, seated dinners for 90 people as well as many social and civic events. The current owner has lived in this home for two years. He was drawn to the home by its excellent craftsmanship, its rich history and the welcoming and social nature of the Heritage Hills Community. ※
HOME + DESIGN LIFE + CULTURE STYLE + FASHION FOOD + HOT SPOTS TRAVEL + WELLNESS
lifestylepubs.com/historicdistrict For Advertising Inquiries contact firstname.lastname@example.org”
HISTOR I CAL P RES ERVATI ON, I NC.
ince the early decades of the 20th century, the neighborhood we now call Heritage Hills was considered special by homeowners, speculators, entrepreneurs, and educators. These competing interests were often at odds, but pride in the neighborhood steadily grew as did the resolve to preserve it. In 1967, the first (and immediately annual) neighborhood tour of homes was organized and further increased interest in historical preservation and civic engagement. Heritage Hills became the first district in the State of Oklahoma to be designated by local ordinance as an area of historical significance. The ordinance establishing the Historical Preservation Commission was adopted by the City Council of Oklahoma City in February, 1969; Heritage Hills was placed under its protection in July, 1969. On September 8, 1969, neighborhood leaders met in the home of Captain Charles Coley, temporary chairman, to formalize an organization that could work with the HP Commission. The organization created at that meeting was called Historical Preservation, Inc., a charitable corporation, which became the governing body for the Heritage Hills Preservation District. Historical Preservation, Inc (HPI) is a nonprofit foundation organized exclusively for charitable, scientific, and educational purposes. It has been and remains primarily dedicated to and involved in preservation, restoration, and maintenance of historic sites, landmarks and structures or architecturallysignificant buildings located within and around the area, while perpetuating its historical and cultural heritage. Over these 50 years, HPI has given donations, funded grants, and sponsored projects and programs totaling over three million dollars. Heritage Hills continues to lead neighborhoods in the 21st century, balancing progress with historical appreciation, and understanding with serious commitment to those fundamentals which established our neighborhood, state, and nation.
Thank you to the following retail establishments for helping with ticket sales 23rd Street Antique Mall 3023 NW 23rd St.
Full Circle Bookstore 50 Penn Place, 1099 NW Expwy
Shady Lady Interiors 119th & South Western
Oklahoma’s ßest dental experience
GRAND DENTAL STUDIO
GENERAL COSME TIC IMPLANT SEDAT ION
FREE FIRST VISIT ™
Michael Kirk, DDS
Includes exam with doctor & x-rays
e ap po in tm en t ☐ Den ta l hy gien e W hi te ni ng ☐ Prof es sion al In -Offic liday s fo r th e up co m in g ho ee co ns ul t ☐ Cos m etic de ntis tr y fr ut ☐ Dr. Kirk's Fall campo
GRAND DENTAL STUDIO
Michael K. Kirk, DDS Managing Dentist
GENERAL COSME TIC IMPLANT SEDAT ION
email@example.com ., Oklahoma City, OK 73118
Oklahoma’s ßest dental experience
klahoma’s’s O FREE FIRST VISIT ntal ßest de includes exam with cece expeandrien doctor x-rays
Michael K. Kirk, DDS Managing Dentist
dentistokc.com | firstname.lastname@example.org 1057 NW Grand Blvd., Oklahoma City, OK 73118
Pre-K and K Grades 1-8 600 NW 44 Street Oklahoma City 405.524.0631
FREE FIRST VISIT ™
Includes exam with doctor & x-rays
Westminster School admits students of any race, color, religion or national and ethnic origin. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or national and ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, ﬁnancial aid program, athletic and other school-administered activities.
he home located at 300 NW 17th Street was built in 1907 as a “demonstration” home by John Winan, the developer of what is now Heritage Hills, whose son lived there until 1918. Demonstration homes were built to encourage people to purchase lots in new additions and to build new homes there. This home has a fascinating history. Historically registered as the Winan House, it was originally designed in a modified Queen Anne style with the vertical emphasis of Gothic influence, a cupola on the roof and contrasting uses of roof lines, dormers,
windows and doors. It is said that the home was more like the mansion built by Henry Overholser than the Colonial Revivals that eventually lined the street. In 1925, Mr. and Mrs. David I. Johnston purchased the property. They removed the cupola and all but one of the dormers, added a tile roof, built a secondstory master bedroom on the east side and enclosed the screened-in porch below. They also applied stucco to the exterior, giving the house a Mediterranean look that contrasted with the vertical emphasis of the original design.
300 NW 17th St
In 1972, David C. Johnston , grandson of David I. Johnston, and his wife, Karen, purchased the home. By 1976, they were ready to present the home on the 10th annual Heritage Hills Homes Tour. After David's death Karen continued living in the home until 2017 when Philip and Heather Busey became the new owners and now live there with their two sons. They have extensively redecorated and redesigned this beautiful home including a complete kitchen renovation, mudroom, master bedroom/bathroom suite, walk-in closets, a new laundry room on the second floor and a finished-out attic space for a children’s playroom. Additionally, the apartment above the carriage house, built in 1918, was completely renovated in 2018. As visitors enter the home, they are presented with a “dog trot” floor plan: a center hall that extends from the front door to the back door with rooms opening off this hall. Please notice the elegant crown and base moldings as well as the original woodwork. To the right is the dining room with “clipped corners” and what is
believed to be the original chandelier and sconces. To the left is the front parlor with the family room directly behind it. An enclosed library is adjacent to the family room. A state-of-the-art kitchen was created by combining the butler’s pantry, existing kitchen and back corridor. The light fixtures throughout the house are a mixture of restored originals and modern pieces. The original hardware on the doors has been maintained in the interior. Of particular note is the newly finished veranda and terrace which were added this year. Its design is intended to complement the design of the front of the home. As one ascends the staircase, one passes by a beautiful stained glass window. The second floor is composed of three bedrooms and two bathrooms. An original bathroom opens onto the front terrace and is shared by two bedrooms. In the master bedroom, an elegant master bath has been added. As the visitor continues down the curved corridor, which was designed by Bruce Bockus, A.I.A., one finds the cheery and sun-filled laundry room and stairs to the third floor playroom. Why did they move to Heritage Hills and select this home? Say Mr. and Mrs. Busey, “We enjoy the close proximity to St. Luke’s Methodist Church, our favorite restaurants, and shops. The walkability and community feel of the neighborhood brings us so much joy as we raise our family. This is a home that has obviously been a beloved family home for generations and is poised to continue the same. ※
E S TAT E S A L E S
by McNeil Liquidations
A full-service estate liquidation company, we are experts in managing estate sales. We offer complimentary consultations. Visit our website for more info and to sign up for our email notifications of sales.
949-9935 or 820-2814 | Oklappraiser@aol.com Owner, Matt McNeil /OkcEstateSales 20
Copy Copy• •Color Color• •Design Design• •Print Print • •Black & White Copies Black & White Copies • •Color ColorCopies Copies• •Offset OffsetPrinting Printing • •Direct Mail • Labels Direct Mail • Labels • •Business BusinessForms Forms• •Envelopes Envelopes• •Invoices Invoices • •Business Cards • Proposals Business Cards • Proposals
947-0099 947-0099 21 21
FOR YOUR CONTINUED SUPPORT AND HAPPY 50 TH ANNIVERSARY! from A Good Egg Dining Group Restaurants: Cheever’s Cafe | Iron Star | Red Primesteak Republic Gastropub | Tucker’s Onion Burgers Kitchen No. 324 | The Drake | Barrios Museum Cafe | Mexican Radio
food people. from the inside out. goodeggdining.com
Full Design Services Available
CABINETS | COUNTERTOPS | TILE | GLASS | FLOORING
Western Ave Showroom: North May our newest showroom! Showroom 5021 N. Western 14201 N. May OKC, OK 73118 OKC, OK 73134 Locally Owned Since 1998
Production Facility & Slab Yard 14350 N. Lincoln Edmond, OK 73013
homkitchenandbath.com PHONE : 405-283-HOME
2019 Sponsorships Benefiting Wilson Elementary Arts Integration School
PRESENTING SPONSORS —
SSMHealth St. Anthony OVERHOLSER SPONSORSHIPS
ADG Delaware Resource Group & The Busey Family Gardener Tanenbaum Holdings INof8 Legal Williams, Box, Forshee & Bullard, P.C. 24
Commemorating the 100th Anniversary of Wilson Elementary School
RENATE AND CHUCK WIGGIN CLASSEN SPONSORSHIPS
A Good Egg Dining Group Ann Lacy Foundation James Bennett The Sergent Family Villa Teresa Residences, L.P. & Villa Teresa Investments, L.P. CAPTAIN COLEY SPONSORSHIPS
Meghan & Dan Bruner Dr. Margaret Flansburg Amanda & Nathaniel Harding Nancy & Mark Nagle Shannon Rundell & Tom Brown Mark Zimmer
he home of Howell Felsenthal and Jane Jenkins, located at 220 NW 19th Street, is a stuccoclad home which was circa 1919 in the ‘Prairie House” vernacular with broad overhangs and a sweeping front porch. The current owners laughingly refer to the style as “Prairie Houseboat” because of the decorative railing crowning the
front porch. Featuring a center door into the living area, the downstairs follows a typical saddle-back floorplan with a single stair splitting at the bottom to go to the living room on the one side and into the kitchen on the other. The original owners were Mr. and Mrs. Stephen F. Veazey of the Veazey drugstore fame. Mr. and Mrs. Veazey
220 NW 19th St
lived in the home until 1955 when they moved to N.W. 17th Street and their son, William, and his wife moved into the family home. William Veazey and his wife lived there until 1960. It was during the original owners’ occupancy that the east end of the front porch was enclosed, and a bathroom added. The built-in desk on the saddleback probably replaced a window when this was done. Other vestiges of this remodel – most likely in the mid-1950s – can be seen throughout the downstairs. The built-in cabinets in the dining room and on either side of the living room fireplace were most likely added in this process. The current owners moved to the home in 2010. In 2014, they created an open kitchen for the home. Of particular note is the dining room chandelier which was built by Mr. Felsenthal. From the kitchen, one exits to a beautiful shaded patio which can been seen from the south dining room window. The dining room table was purchased in Denmark by Mr. Felsenthal’s parents in 1967. Many of the cut-glass pieces in the cabinets in the living room and dining room were collected by Ms. Jenkins’ family. The collection includes a banana bowl from the estate of actress Bette Davis. There are three bedrooms and
two bathrooms on the second floor. Two of the bedrooms have en-suite “sleeping porches”. These sleeping porches were designed to catch the breeze at night for more comfortable sleeping on warm Oklahoma nights. Originally, the home had four bedrooms and one bath, but within the last 20 years, a bedroom was converted to create a master bath. In 2011, the current owners built a new garage in the rear of the home which followed the original footprint of the two-story garage. Visitors will be interested in seeing Mr. Felsenthal’s wood working shop on the second floor. When asked why they chose this home and Heritage Hills, they replied, “Heritage Hills is a neighborhood with character. No two houses are alike, and every block has a unique personality that reflects the history and diversity of our city. Heritage Hills is home to mansions and cottages, single family homes, multifamily housing and garage quarters. We love the trees, the sidewalks for walking with our dogs, and the wonderful neighbors. Our family is all about downtown, so we especially enjoy the proximity to downtown and all of the activities there.” ※ *This is the first showing of this home on a Heritage Hills Historical Homes Tour.
YOUR MOVE. As a prominent figure in the luxury real estate market, my philosophy is very simple: the client always comes first. I believe that if you are not left with an amazing experience, I have not done my job. I do not measure success through achievements or awards, but through the satisfaction of my clients. Certified Probate Real Estate Specialist Certified Luxury Home Marketing Specialist
Darian Woolbright Keller Williams Elite • KW Luxury International
email@example.com • www.darianwoolbright.com office: 405.948.7500 • cell: 405.887.3007
Furniture & design for sophisticated living.
w w w. H e n r y I n t e r i o r s . c o m
3720 W. Robinson St. | Suite 112 | Norman, OK | 405.321.1000
or one hundred years the children from the surrounding neighborhoods and downtown areas have filled the halls of Wilson Elementary. From Square Dances and Magic Shows to Bingo and Arts Integration Nights...there’s always something going on in the old schoolhouse! Wilson first opened its doors on September 15th, 1919 as a seven-room school. There was no indoor plumbing and 21st and 22nd streets were dirt roads. A pond and field were located on what is now the playground, where neighbors grazed their cattle. The superintendent let all the schools out early that day so the children could go downtown to see the Circus Parade. He believed school must not interfere with the circus this one day in the year. The Grand Old Building Wilson was designed by architects Solomon A. Layton and S. Wemyss-Smith, who also designed the State Capitol. In
December of 1918, contracts for the construction of the school were awarded to the Lisle-Dunning Construction Company for a bid of $47,677. In 1920, a professional landscaper designed the landscaping for Wilson for free to serve as a model for the other schools in the district. In 1924, four electric light fixtures were installed in the building. In the 1930s, Wilson students were the first public elementary students in Oklahoma City to have a library and a school lunch program on campus. In the 1950s, an auditorium was built with seating for 400 and a new cafeteria was built with a capacity of 125. In 1998, a playground was funded through a Community Development Block Grant provided by Mesta Park Neighborhood. Matching funds were provided by Heritage Hills Historical Preservation, Inc., donations from the Kirkpatrick Foundation, and the Wilson PTA. In 2005, Wilson Arts, Inc. was formed
Wilson Elementary Arts Integration School 501 NW 21st St to supplement the MAPS for Kids funding for the renovation of Wilson School. With a lead donation from Historical Preservation, Inc., Wilson Arts, Inc. raised over $850,000 in private and corporate donations and community grants to provide four dedicated arts classrooms that were essential to the continuing success of the arts integration curriculum. Completed in 2010, the new building on the west side of the original school contains office space, classrooms, a black box theater, a music room, and a library. The addition was designed to be historically appropriate for the school and surrounding neighborhood. In addition, a stately wrought iron and brick pillars fence was built around the playground area. Arts Integration Program In the 1990s, Principal Beverly Story had a vision to teach children through the arts. She and several staff members visited Kennedy Center schools across the country and realized the impact arts integration could have on Wilson students. At that same time, Anita Arnold at BLAC, Inc. had established a partnership with Oklahoma City Public Schools through the Partners in Education program and she invited Wilson to join the partnership as an arts integration pilot school. Wilson provides a diverse student body with excellent educational opportunities. In 1998, Wilson was designated as the State’s first specialty school for arts integration. Wilson is a partner school with the Partners in Education Program of the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington, D.C. and Black Liberated Arts Center (BLAC), Inc. in Oklahoma City, for professional development of teachers in arts integration.
Arts integration is an approach to teaching in which students construct and demonstrate understanding through an art form. Students engage in a creative process which connects an art form and another subject area and meets evolving objectives in both. Wilson’s classroom teachers and fine arts specialists in drama, vocal music, instrumental music, visual art, and dance work as a team to integrate the arts and required classroom skills. The arts integration program has been extraordinarily successful as Wilson is consistently one of the top academic performers in the district. In addition, many Wilson students continue to study the arts in high school and college and pursue careers in the arts. Arts Arts All Around Since its earliest years, Wilson has surrounded students with the arts. In the 1920s, the PTA used $139 to buy a Victrola and records. In the 1930s, first grade teacher Mrs. Romine organized a music club, taught violin and conducted an orchestra. Wilson musicians participated in a 900- piece symphonic orchestra concert at Memorial Park in the spring of 1937. At the annual music memory festival held in the Central High School auditorium, Wilson performers received special mention in the newspaper for their dramatization of “Midsummer Night’s Dream Overture” which the students worked out by themselves. Wilson’s interior is graced by a number of murals and paintings. Wilson Arts, Inc. has restored and is preserving these precious and historic pieces of art through fundraisers and grants from the Kirkpatrick Foundation and Oklahoma Art League. In 1934, Audre’ Yates painted the Nursery Rhymes mural in soft pastel continued to page 32
continued from page 31
oil colors for the Wilson Elementary kindergarten room as a Public Works of Art Project (PWAP) commission. The mural portrays whimsical animals and simplified characters in fanciful costuming. Yates salary payment was $26.50 a week. She was a nineteen-year-old graduate of Central High School where she studied art with Grace Chadwick. Yates was born in Kansas City, Missouri on November 17, 1914. Wilson school principal, J. Carl Conner, faculty and patrons so loved her mural that they commissioned her to paint the Circus mural for the adjoining primary room. Wilson children earnestly watched the young artist draw and paint the murals. Artist and art museum director Nan Sheets, representing the committee on government art work in Oklahoma, presented the murals to the school at an Open House in March of 1934. Soon after the Nursery Rhyme and Circus murals were commissioned, the school awarded another mural project to Dorothea Stevenson to fill a large space in the library that was in need of decoration. Stevenson was an Oklahoma City artist who had previously designed the Classen High School PWAP mural entitled The Spirit
of Oklahoma. The Wilson mural entitled Industrial America depicts various industrial vocations. In April of 1936 Dorothea Stevenson was one of ten Oklahoma artists selected for the First National Exhibition of American Artists to be held in the Rockefeller Center in New York. Principal Conner realized the value of art as an educational factor and plans were made to have only original works of art in the building. Conner expressed, “This is only the beginning, only the beginning.” Wilson’s art collection also includes four New Deal easel paintings by well-known Native American artists. They include Acee Blue Eagle’s Woman Making Baskets, Knife Dancer, and Ready for the Hunt and Herbert White Buffalo’s Dancer. Blue Eagle’s murals use the style first developed by a group known as the Kiowa Five artists at the University of Oklahoma. Through this style using sharp contours, flat areas of coloration and the absence of backgrounds, he helped create a stylistic formula of Traditional Indian Painting. Blue Eagle’s most famous mural was painted for the Battleship USS Oklahoma, which was sunk at Pearl Harbor. The fourth painting, Herbert White Buffalo’s
Dancer, is in the style similar to fellow Cheyenne artist Dick West and the Kiowa Five who studied at the Fort Sill Indian School and the University of Oklahoma. In the early 1950s Wilson parent and artist, Zyta Laky, volunteered to paint a landscape mural in the Wilson School cafeteria and the Wilson PTA provided the paint. Zyta’s children, both Wilson students, eagerly helped with her supplies while she painted. Zyta Laky’s daughter, Gyöngy Laky, is an internationally recognized textile and sculpture artist and professor. Gyöngy was recently contacted through information from a photo and news article found in the school archives. For Wilson's 100th Anniversary, she is returning to Oklahoma City for the first time since she was a Wilson third grade student in the early 1950s. She will lead a creative and colorful portraiture workshop for all ages entitled “Making Faces”. ARTSPACE at Untitled art center will have an exciting exhibition of Gyöngy Laky’s work entitled Forms for Language. In October 2004, a Space mural was painted with acrylic paint in the north stairwell by Wilson parent and professional artist, Brett Bass, for the school’s 85th Anniversary. Brett’s wife, Cathy, and their children Kelsey, 4th grade, and Kenny, Kindergarten, helped with the painting of the mural. In the fall of 2005, the family also painted a Rain Forest mural in the south hallway of the second floor in the original building. In 2010, the MAPS for Kids expansion of the school included a stunning twostory walkway of colored glass blocks that connects the old and new buildings. The colored glass blocks form the score to the chase portion of the musical composition Peter and the Wolf by Sergei Prokofiev. Prokofiev wrote this music and narrative as a child’s introduction to the orchestra. Each color of glass block also has a different
texture and represents a different character and a different instrument or group of instruments. The vertical fins represent the rhythm of the drums. In May 2013, Wilson dedicated a striking outdoor metal and glass sculpture of three elements created by artists Rick and Tracey Bewley, Jason Blankenship, and Dan Garrett. The sculpture was funded through donations to Wilson Arts, Inc. in memory of longtime Wilson tutor and Sonic employee, Cherie Hasty. The Wilson PTA, Historical Preservation, Inc., and Mesta Park Neighborhood Association also provided funds. Third grade student, Thayer Dycus, submitted the title Learn, Grow, Reflect, for the sculpture. Community & Extracurricular Involvement In addition to the arts, Wilson has proudly maintained its strong history of its extracurricular activities and support from the Wilson PTA and the community. The Wilson School PTA has been recognized as one of the top parent groups in the nation, having been named the winner of the Outstanding Focus on Involvement Award in PTO Today's 2006 Parent Group of the Year Search. In 2018, Wilson was named a National PTA School of Excellence, one of only five schools in the state to receive this recognition. The various PTA committees work around the year with teachers, staff, families, neighbors, and the community in order to help provide the resources and energy needed to nurture the students as they learn and grow. Wilson Arts, Inc., Historical Preservation, Inc., Mesta Park Neighborhood Association, Sonic, America’s Drive-In, and community partners provide funds and volunteers for the ongoing support of Wilson's students, teachers, administrators and arts integration program, particularly through the financing of continued to page 34
continued from page 33
professional development opportunities. state competitions. Wilson also has a long These longtime partnerships are vital to the tradition of enjoying community events success at Wilson. throughout the year including Math & All through the years, the Wilson Science Night, Arts Integration Night, playground and ball fields have provided Bingo Nights, School Carnivals and Fall Fest athletic opportunities for Wilson students. Celebrations. Today the PTA continues to organize Wilson Elementary provides children the school's sports programs including in the historic midtown area with the best basketball, volleyball, soccer, baseball, and combination of two worlds: a SiThe mpFirst lyBaptist … A utheopens ntic.possible .. flag football. Church wealth of history in an historic building, and their gym doors for the school’s basketball Reg ionaIn lB rasithe liaPTA nC uisine ! the very best in new technology, techniques program. addition, provides and resources to provide a solid, wellsports scholarships for students needing rounded education. Through its exciting arts financial support through the Jack Gibson integration curriculum, energized students, Memorial Fund named in memory of the dedicated teachers, parents and C CAFE engaged DO BRASIL former Wilson Principal and baseball coach supportive community, Wilson has helped in the 1960s. & with the revitalization of uptown, midtown, The Wilson Running Club logs many downtown and the BOSSA historic downtown miles around the school grounds and NOVA participates in the Oklahoma City Memorial neighborhoods. Teachers, staff, students, CAIPIRINHA LOUNGE parents, alumni, neighbors, friends, and the Kids Marathon. The Wilson Chess Club community look forward to celebrating the began in 2004 and over the years team 440 N.W. 11TH members have received many medals from grand old school’s 100th Anniversary. ※
LUNCH. DINNER. WEEKEND BRUNCH & LIVE MUSIC
al Brasilian Cuisine ! C
CAFE DO BRASIL &
Simply… Authentic... Regional Brasilian Cuisine !
BOSSA NOVA CAIPIRINHA LOUNGE 440 N.W. 11TH
CAFE DO BRASIL
CH. DINNER. WEEKEND BRUNCH & LIVE & MUSIC 34
Named a Top 10 Showroom in the U.S. and Canada by Residential Lighting Come see why.
Unique Lamps, Lighting Solutions & more Proudly Celebrating Our 66th Anniversary!
Anniversary Sale October 21st - 25th 66 years on Route 66 Uptown 23rd
Oklahoma City's Premier Lighting Store Since 1953
617 NW 23rd Street || 405.528.4476 Across from Big Truck Tacos
www.lillianst r ick ler.com 35
he home, located at 1815 North Hudson, was built by G.A. Nichols in 1918, living here until constructing his new Nichols Hills mansion in 1933. This magnificent home has been a favorite on the Heritage Hills home tour each decade, beginning in 1988 after its first major renovation. One approaches this Georgian home via a broad sidewalk leading to a
sweeping front porch flanked with Ionic columns. The impressive front porch also opens to the driveway. The home is constructed of red brick and boasts a red tile gabled roof. Other elements of design are a symmetrical arrangement of doors and windows with strong horizontal lines. As one enters the black and white marble floored vestibule of this grand
1815 N Hudson Ave
home from the front porch, one notices that a charming iron railing crowns the roof mimicking a Juliette balcony. Once inside, the visitor is greeting by the center entry with a grand staircase leading to the second floor. To the right is the formal Dining Room and to the left is the formal Living Room. Centering the Living Room with its grand windows is the original Adam’s
fireplace with an Adams urn in the center and fluted columns “supporting” the mantel. Notice the original applied moldings on the walls and the broad crown moldings on the ceiling. Leading from the Living Room is the lovely apple green sun porch with windows on the east, south and west. There are also doors giving out to the driveway, which would have led to the original location of a swimming pool on the south side of the driveway. The visitor now notices that the Dining Room is unique in its “clipped corner” shape. Beautiful large windows, crown and base moldings complete this impressive room. The large chef ’s kitchen has been redone to include the latest state-of-the art appliances, yet the appearance is still traditional and appropriate to a home of this age. There are four bedrooms on the second floor including a Master Suite and luxurious spa-like bathroom off the Master Bedroom. After exiting the house, one now finds the swimming pool and tennis courts in the rear garden. The current owner moved to this home in 2005, and says, “When we began looking for a home in Oklahoma City, we listed our desire criteria: The house had to have character and be interesting in its own right. It needed to be large enough for the entertainment of family and friends and also comfortable for our growing young family. In addition, the home had to be situated in an established area with mature trees and wide streets and be a place where neighbors knew each other by name. As soon as we set eyes on this house, we knew we had found our Oklahoma City home.” ※
We Buy and Sell! Doors | Light Fixtures Windows | Stone Stained Glass Fireplace Mantels Unique Architectural Items Garden Ornaments Rugs | Home Decor Hardware | Mirrors
1900 Linwood Boulevard Oklahoma City, OK 73106 P 405.232.0759 deadpeoplestuffok.com @deadpeoplesstuffokc
W W W. B A N C F I R S T. B A N K 40
WHO YOU WORK WITH MATTERS. EXPECT MORE.
Jennifer Kragh, Sales Associate 405.274.6767 JennKGroup.com
Each Office is Independently Owned and Operated
OVERHOLSER MANSION 405 NW 15th Street
he heart of the tour is always the historic Overholser Mansion, built in Territorial Days by Henry Overholser, known as the "Father of Oklahoma City." For well over a century, this magnificent home has stood, a living tribute not only to the Overholser family but also to the spirit of the '89ers who settled our state and built our city. The mansion's location on NW 15th Street is now a part of Oklahoma City's urban center, but in 1902, when Henry Overholser purchased three lots in the newly developed Highland Park Addition, many people questioned why he and his wife Anna would build a home so far out in the country. After all, the heart of Oklahoma City’s business and social life was located over a mile to the south and the rail lines ran only to 13th Street, two blocks south of the mansion’s future home. The home Henry and Anna built on the Oklahoma prairie is considered Oklahoma City’s first mansion. W.S. Matthews, an architect trained at London's Kensington Academy, supervised the construction and furnishing of the house. The home, a French Chateauesque masterpiece, was originally furnished with handmade Brussels lace curtains, Axminster and Wilton carpets, and furniture reflecting the French and Oriental influences of the day. When the Overholsers opened their home with a gala reception in February 1904, The Daily Oklahoman printed this description: "The house is a sermon on beauty. It is uplifting and ennobling as works of art are ever. The taste with which it has been decorated and is being furnished is flawless and shows a praiseworthy mastery of the subject, and the whole Overholser
house is an incomparable example of the possibilities of beautiful homebuilding." For decades, the home remained a center of social life - hosting weddings, dinners, and literary events. From 1956 to 1968, the mansion served as the official residence of U.S. Senator Mike Monroney and in 1970, was placed on the National Registry of Historic Places. The home was owned by a member of the Overholser family until 1972, when it was sold to the Oklahoma Historical Society. Today the mansion is owned by the Oklahoma Historical Society and managed by Preservation Oklahoma, Inc. Preservation Oklahoma (POK) recently made updates and improvements to the Overholser Mansion's Carriage House in the winter of 2019. This space serves as a resource for the neighborhood and is a starting point for daily tours. The renovations make the space more attractive for tour guests as well as for those who wish to rent the space for meetings, private, or community events. The Carriage House, the lawn, and the Overholser Mansion may be rented for special events and weddings. Tour and rental information may be found on the Overholser Mansion website, www.overholsermansion.org. To help support the continued maintenance and stewardship of the Overholser Mansion, please consider becoming a member of Preservation Oklahoma by visiting the POK website, www.preservationok.org. Contributions may also be made directly to POK for Overholser Mansion improvements. For more information, contact Executive Director, Cayla Lewis, firstname.lastname@example.org. ※
sign | r De
w w w. a d g o k c . c o m
Pro g m
emen t | nag Ur
ning | Arch ite c
Engineering | |I re n u t
23rd Street Antiques ADG Banc First Café do Brasil Darien Woolbright, REALTOR Dead People's Stuff digi Print Embassy Suites Estate Sales by McNeil Liquidations Good Egg Group Grand Dental Studio Henry Home Interiors SPECIAL THANKS TO Our CONTRIBUTORs:
Heritage Hills Cookbook Historic District Lifestyles HŌM Kam's Kookery Lillian Strickler McBride Orthopaedic Renate & Chuck Wiggin Sage | Sotheby’s International Realty Sormeh Slater, REALTOR SSM St Anthony Wendy Chong, REALTOR Westminster Elementary School
Anne Richardson Spec Creative speccreative.com
Kam’s Kookery and Guilford Gardens 2834 Guilford Lane , OKC 405.409.7312 | kamskookery.com
THANK YOU TO Past HOME TOUR CHAIRS 1st: 1967
Virginia Hood and the American Association of University Women
2nd: 1968 Virginia Hood and the American Association of University Women 3rd: 1969
Virginia Hood and Mrs. Reginald Wolfe
4th: 1970 Virginia Hood 5th: 1971 Virginia Hood and
Mrs. Edgar Whittle
6th: 1972 Virginia Hood 7th: 1973
9th: 1975 Vestina Ruffin 10th: 1976 Vestina Ruffin 11th: 1977 Mrs. Paul Kirkpatrick 12th: 1978 Karen Johnston 13th: 1979 Carol Stringer 14th: 1980 Jeanette Gilbert 15th: 1981 Lenice Bodnar
19th: 1985 Patsy Carey 20th: 1986 Karren Napier 21st: 1987 Ruth McLean 22nd:1988 Barbara Mize 23rd: 1989 Shannon Rundell & Marianne Vannatta 24th: 1990 Caroline Beavers 25th: 1991 Sandy Faught 26th: 1992 Billie Fogarty 27th: 1993 Kelli Schnebel & Gayla Stapleton 28th: 1994 John Chadwick & Renate Wiggin 29th: 1995 Seyan Hefner & Patti Mellow 30th: 1996 Linda Connally & Barbara Nichols 31st: 1997 Carolyn Gresham & Lillian Yoeckel 32nd: 1998 Marcia Turner & Karen Johnston
16th: 1982 Dianne Gumerson
33rd: 1999 Carol Orr & Jane Edmonds
17th: 1983 Pat Bruner
34th: 2000 Renate Wiggin
18th: 1984 Jerriann Altshuler
35th: 2001 Annette Jacobi &
36th: 2002 37th: 2003 38th: 2004 39th: 2005 40th: 2006 41st: 2007 42nd: 2008 43rd: 2009 44th: 2010 45th: 2011 46th: 2012 47th: 2013 48th: 2014 49th: 2015 50th: 2016 51st: 2017 52nd: 2018
Angie Holman Jeff Erwin & Angie Holman Jo Vanden & Karren Napier Jo Vanden & Linda Adams Marcia Turner & Diane Worthington Diane Worthington Jane Holcombe & Diane Worthington Barbara Mapstone Lee Ward Anne Boozer Alicia Champion Sam Blackstock & Amy Stephens Marsha Funk Katy Leffel Amy Sergent Jennifer Gallagher Elizabeth Richards Rickie Fray & Mary Kay Gumerlock
his Work in Progress home reflects the mission of the Historical Preservation Ordinance enacted 50 years ago, and exemplifies the theme of this 53rd Annual Homes Tour. It was built in 1907 by Richard Vose. This was the second home the Voses built. They lived across the street at 433 NW 14th while constructing this house. The home was designed by J.W.
Hawk, one of the city’s first architects and the man who designed some of the state’s most outstanding buildings such as the W.T. Hales Home at 1521 North Hudson, The Harbour-Longmire Building at 420 West Main Street, the Hightower Building, and the Magnolia Petroleum building among others. The Vose family enjoyed their magnificent home for over 60 years. After two subsequent owners,
436 NW 14th St
this house became the home of the Chuculates who had a special interest in and experience with historic homes. In 1983, they began a major renovation which extended from roof to plumbing and everything in between, including the carriage house. The sixth and current owner purchased the house in 1995, drawn
to the neighborhood by its beautiful historic homes and proximity to the medical center. Soon after moving in, he realized that once again the house was beginning to show its age, requiring not only updates, but major restoration. As with any project of this nature, the full extent has become more obvious as work is done. Slow and meticulous restoration of the exterior is taking place, and now is reaching the point where interior work can safely begin. The exterior is a pure expression of Mission design with strong horizontal lines, recurring sets of arches, curvilinear gables, stucco walls and red-tiled roof. This pure Prairie exterior contrasts strongly with its late Victorian interiors with dark mahogany and oak woodwork. In the entryway, notice the original stainedglass windows. This house is undergoing complete renovation under the direction of Bill Gumerson and his team. The visitor will be interested in seeing the thick interior walls which are exposed in the original Breakfast Room. Upon exiting the house, visitors are encouraged to walk along the west sidewalk to view the carriage house (also under restoration). By looking south, directly behind, one might imagine the now-destroyed home of Anton Classen on the corner and the Colcord Mansion just to its east. One quickly realizes the importance of our Historic Preservation Ordinance – juxtaposing what happened without it, and what is now possible with it! Like those visiting this “work in progress,” the owner is looking forward to re-occupying this very historic and special home. ※ *This is the first showing of this home on a Heritage Hills Historical Homes Tour.
53rd Annual Homes Tour CLASSEN SPONSORSHIPS A Good Egg Group Ann Lacy Foundation James Bennett The Sergent Family Villa Teresa Residences, L.P. & Villa Teresa Investments, L.P. 2019 Sponsorships Benefiting Wilson Elementary Arts Integration School and Commemorating the 100th Anniversary of Wilson Elementary School 49
Serving Oklahomans for 121 years
SSM Health St. Anthony is growing and thriving in Oklahoma. We’ve expanded our Midtown campus with a new, larger emergency room and are creating better access to care with four SSM Health St. Anthony Healthplex locations serving Mustang and North, East and South Oklahoma City. For more than 121 years, we’ve been revealing the healing presence of God through exceptional health services for the community – and it’s been our privilege. To find an SSM Health St. Anthony location or physician near you, visit: ssmhealth.com/saints SSM Health St. Anthony Hospital – Oklahoma City SSM Health Bone & Joint Hospital at St. Anthony SSM Health St. Anthony South SSM Health St. Anthony Hospital – Shawnee SSM Health St. Anthony Healthplex SSM Health St. Anthony El Reno SSM Health Medical Group Through our exceptional health care services, we reveal the healing presence of God. ©2019 SSM Health. All rights reserved.