Page 50

FITNESS HOME

SPECIAL SECTION

BUSTED:

THE TOP 3 FITNESS MYTHS YOU NEED TO KNOW BY SIERRA CARTER FITNESS COACH

There is an endless amount of information available at our fingertips when it comes to health and fitness. For example, when I search “weight loss” on Google, I get thousands of articles on crash diets, fat loss pills, skinny teas, sauna sessions and more. There are so many opinions out there, that it can be very difficult to know what is true and what is not. In response, most people give up on ever reaching their fitness goals before they even start trying. So, we are going to break down those barriers by busting the top three fitness myths and identifying what you should really be doing instead.

enough fruits, vegetables or protein, then you have the perfect storm for weight gain.

THE SOLUTION: Don’t cut an entire

macronutrient out of your diet. In fact, don’t put any foods on the “do not eat” list. By restricting yourself from the things that you want, you will only put yourself in danger of binging on those foods later. Instead, fill your diet with at least 80% unprocessed foods like fruits, vegetables, potatoes, grains and lean proteins. The other 20% can be anything else that you want. Some days that might mean

MYTH: CARBS WILL MAKE YOU FAT AND THEY MUST BE AVOIDED. People have been trying to blame a single macronutrient for their weight gain for years. First it was too much dietary fat and now people are blaming carbs. I hate to break it to you, but the butter wasn’t the problem, and neither is the bread. People are gaining weight because of a sedentary lifestyle combined with poor overall nutrition practices. People sit all day at work just to come home and sit while they watch TV, before lying in bed to do it all over the next day. If you add this to an overly processed diet that is high in overall calories with not nearly : S PAC ECOA IV G I N G| |S PAC S PAC ECOAST VG I N.CO G .CO 4848 : SPAC ECOA STST L IVL IN ECOAST L I VL II N MM

pizza and other days it could just be a protein bar. Remember: there is no such thing as bad foods, only bad habits

MYTH: LONG HOURS OF CARDIO ARE THE KEY TO WEIGHT LOSS. I don’t know about you, but I am thrilled that this one turned out to be a myth because I get so bored on cardio machines. Luckily, there is absolutely no need to spend hours doing cardio. Not only is it completely unnecessary, it might actually be preventing you from reaching your body goals. As cardio

Profile for SpaceCoast Magazines

Space Coast LIVING - Summer Issue  

SpaceCoast LIVING has been the premier lifestyle publication in Brevard County since its introduction in 2003. Hundreds of thousands of loca...

Space Coast LIVING - Summer Issue  

SpaceCoast LIVING has been the premier lifestyle publication in Brevard County since its introduction in 2003. Hundreds of thousands of loca...