Page 1


VOL. # 13 ISSUE #2 # 13 ISSUE #2 VOL.

THE COCONUT TREE LITERARY MAGAZINE OF THE SOCIETY OF ENGLISH WRITERS Arrivals and departures inform the human condition like no other human endeavor. We see friends, family, strangers often at their best, reuniting or saying goodbye. Good writing can create drama, excitement, or interest by incorporating an arrival or departure, at an airport, a dry cleaner, restaurant, or a wedding.

Our theme for this issue is "Arrivals and Departures the good and the bad.' In this issue of the Society of English Writers - Sarawak (SOSWE) magazine [Miri, Sarawak, Malaysia], we explore what it means to arrive at or depart from a place on the planet, or in the heart, good or bad, and its implications.

In this issue: • "Lessons from a new referee"

Thank you dear reader for taking the time to discover

• "World games in South Korea"

the work of developing writers of the English

• "Arrivederci Grandpa"

language. From each unique writer's perspective, from different walks, ages, and nationalities, we

• "An Encounter with Kindness in

uncover authentic morsels of insight not found



• "A New Arrival"

Nancy Bronte Matheny, Editor

• "Maui" • Photo credits • Elected Officers

"Parting is such sweet sorrow, that I shall say goodnight till it be morrow." ~ 1 William Shakespeare, in Romeo & Juliet

MARCH 2013 MARCH 2013

VOL. # 13 ISSUE #2 VOL. # 13 ISSUE #2

LESSONS FROM A NEW REFERREE SURPRISING ARRIVAL AT A JOB WELL DONE BY CHARLES LO “Why was I chosen as the chief referee for shot put?” I kept asking myself in sheer incredulity.

I had learned of the appointment during the most recent staff meeting. My school would coorganize an interschool athletics meet with a neighboring school and more than half of our staff would be refereeing the event. The other half would proctor examinations, because the athletics meet coincided with our semester examinations.

I had never considered myself as suitable for the job. For one thing, I knew nothing about shot put. For another, I had never been appointed as a referee before. It was almost certain that I would botch the job. Besides, my body was not fit to undertake such a responsibility. I was convalescing from a fever and the prospect of having to work in the hot sun for four consecutive days filled me with dread.

A day before the athletics meet, I attended a briefing at the stadium. Mr. Chiong, a tall and large sports officer, briefed us on the rules of all throwing events, including shot put. Many newly appointed referees were as ignorant as I was. We bombarded him with questions to resolve our doubts. After that, he took us on an excursion around the field, showing us the sector lines of every single throwing event and explaining how to detect legal and foul throws from athletes. Despite Mr. Chiong’s repeated reassurance that everything would run smoothly if we adhered to the rules, I could

"I could not see anything through my blurred vision, and I heard Mr. Chiong exclaim, “Foul!

not help doubting my ability. The next day, I arrived at the stadium early in my father’s car. The stadium was crowded with people. I sat on a bench and applied sun block to my face and arms to avoid sunburn. I silently prayed to God for the strength to carry out my duty. When I finished my prayer, the first event, the Under 18 Girls’ 3,000 meter race, began with the loud firing of a gun. The entire stadium shook with high-spirited cheering as the athletes raced past the grandstand. (continued on page 8)


MARCH 2013 MARCH 2013

VOL. # 13 ISSUE #2 VOL. # 13 ISSUE #2

WORLD GAMES IN SOUTH KOREA ARRIVING AS STRANGERS, LEAVING AS FRIENDS BY JENNIE SOH Going to a new destination is always a challenge to me, either on a holiday or an official trip. I was excited to be

" I ... have learned the art of sincerity shown to people around us, whether it’s out of duty or out of the heart."

part of the team to bring 19 athletes of special needs children from Sabah and Sarawak. I came in as a volunteer as their photographer and as media to cover news on the World Winter Games in Pyeongchang [South Korea] from January 29th to February 6, 2013.

The athletes, aged between 16 and 35, participated in the Games’ opening ceremony on 29 January 2013, before taking on their first floor hockey match the following day. Head of Delegation Maria Isabel Navarro is the Chairperson of the Special Olympics Sarawak, Miri Chapter. The sport was first introduced in Miri in 2005 before expanding to Kuching. The first time floor hockey participated in the 2009 Winter Special Olympics was in Idaho in the United States, the team managed to win a silver medal.

The Pyeongchang Games were one of the largest winter multi-sports events to be held in Korea with over 15,000 participants from 113 countries. Eight winter sports were held, namely alpine skiing, cross-country skiing, figure skating, floor ball, floor hockey, short-track speed skating, snowboarding and snowshoeing. (continued on page 10)


MARCH 2013

VOL. # 13 ISSUE #2

ARRIVEDERCI GRANDPA A POIGNANT DEPARTURE BY NANCY BRONTE MATHENY The Veterans' Hospital was dark and unkempt. Smelling of urine and antiseptic, it was a scary place for a 14year old girl to be. I had come to visit my Grandfather, a native of Sicily, as he waited to die from lung cancer in a Southern California ward. He was so happy to see me when I showed up. His tired eyes lit up in their radiant blue when I appeared. He was sitting at the edge of the hospital bed cologned, proud in his clean polo shirt and khakis. He made it a point of dressing for

"He reached behind his side table for a little gift...."

the day in spite of the fact that he was living in a hospital bed. He reached behind his side table for a little gift he had proudly sewn in a leather craft class given at the hospital. It was a brown and tan purse with shoulder strap, metallic latch and large stitching outlining the purse. On the street, the awkward purse would not fetch a hefty sum. But to me it was priceless, that he would take the time to stitch me a leather purse. He departed this world a few months later and left me very sad to have lost such a loving man and such a special man with all of his Sicilian ways. But he left me a very special purse and a legacy of pride in my forefathers, especially my Grandfather who departed before me.


MARCH 2013

VOL. # 13 ISSUE #2

AN ENCOUNTER WITH KINDNESS IN SABAH AN ENCOURAGING DEPARTURE BY CHARLES LO On 19th November 2012, I visited Sabah and joined a local tour on a trip to Kinabalu Park, a UNESCO World Heritage site that boasts the famous canopy walk and the Poring Hot Springs.

The drive up the park took nearly three hours. The undulating road wound around the Crocker Range like a coiling serpent. The higher we went, the wider expanse of emerald vegetation spread before us. Layer after layer of mountains rose like waves, becoming one with the sky in the distance. My companions were a female Kadazan tour guide and a four-member British family. With their humorous banter, they made the bumpy ride an enjoyable one. When we reached the park, I was blown away by its beauty. It was surrounded by mountains in varying hues of green. The sight offered me a welcome respite from the concrete forest in which I lived. To go to the point where the canopy walk began, we had to hike a slope. Its steepness took a toll on my overweight body. I fell behind my companions, unable to keep pace with them. Mr. Dave, the patriarch of the British family, breezed through the ascent despite having had two hip replacement surgeries in six years. His sprightliness made me feel ashamed of my poor stamina. (continued on page 11)


" Without the encumbrance of the knapsack, I was able to get my second wind in the last twenty minutes of the ascent. "

MARCH 2013

VOL. # 13 ISSUE #2

A NEW ARRIVAL NEW ARRIVALS MEAN CHANGE BY BETTY LEE The delights that accompanied the recent arrival of my first grandchild, Benjamin, has super exemplified every Hallmark cliché. However, soon the new arrival also rudely gestured the departure of my once structured life. When I thought I had finally established Benjamin’s sleep routine, he decided to rewrite the rules. The tedious chores of coaxing and soothing Benjamin to sleep on my aching arms had taken a whole new challenge. Like clockwork, each time as I gently laid him down, he would flick his eyes wide opened as if to say,

" ...soon the new arrival also rudely gestured the departure of my once structured life...."

“What? Who said the party is over. It’s not over till I say it’s over!!! Where are my party hat and dancing shoes? I want to groove all night” Benjamin fine-tuned his routine so well that he should have been on Broadway; a Tony award performance every time. Subscribing to the theory that improvisation is the mother of all invention; I counter-propositioned with a ritual of my own. As he protested when I laid him down, I would firmly place both my arms on either side of him as if I were still holding him. I then pushed rolled-up blankets onto both his sides, wedging Benjamin in. Kind of made him the sandwich between the two blankets. I then shoved cushions and big plush toys to uphold the blankets. (continued on page 13)


MARCH 2013

VOL. # 13 ISSUE #2

MAUI ARRIVAL OF AN UNWELCOME GUEST BY FLORENCE ENAU Since the 1980's, I have been visiting my younger brother , Dick and his wife Cindy in Maui, Hawaii, whenever I go back to the United States from Miri to visit my family. In June 2013, I was on the first leg of my journey - Maui - Reno - San Diego - Kingsport, Tennessee. I knew ahead of time that Dick and Cindy were at a function for his company, T and S Restaurants, in Napa Valley in California and that they would return three days after I arrived in Maui. I was picked up by their neighbor's daughter, Michiko, who was staying at their house.

I stayed in the guest bedroom with the attached bathroom at the other end of the house. The houses in Maui are not airconditioned, so my screened windows were open as usual. Cindy always has a comforter on the bed with a sheet underneath. I always find this very hot , so I always throw the comforter off the end of the bed and just sleep with the fan on and just the sheet over me.

Dick and Cindy had returned that day and I had helped Cindy get her week and a half of dirty clothes washed , dried and folded, so she would have time to go sightseeing and shopping with me. (continued on page 14)


" I was about ready to go back to sleep, but I thought I had better get up and check things out."

MARCH 2013

VOL. # 13 ISSUE #2

LESSONS FROM A NEW REFEREE (continued from page 2) I looked up at the sky and wished God would prolong the coolness of the early morning. In a short while, the pinkish hues of the clouds would diminish and the heat of the sun would become more intense. The public address system blared out periodic announcements reminding the athletes to register at the counters.

The girl picked up a shot and stepped into the rear of the circle. Pushing the shot against her neck, she bent her left knee and moved her body up and down to gain momentum. Then she rotated 180 degrees across the circle and let out a shout as she released the shot. It sailed through the air and landed six to eight meters from the toe board.

At fifteen minutes before eight, my assistant, Mr. Enteri, arrived with four female students. We took two shots and two small flags from the store keeper and headed to the field. Despite my lack of self-confidence, I smiled my widest to make them feel good. If I put on a glum face, they may feel discouraged, and the quality of our refereeing would be negatively affected.

I wanted to check if she had exited the circle correctly, but there was sweat flowing down into my eyes. I could not see anything through my blurred vision, and I heard Mr. Chiong exclaim, “Foul!” I opened my eyes in horror and heard Mr. Chiong say, “Mr. Lo, the girl accidentally stepped on the toe board. You should be quick to say ‘foul’.” I apologized and promised to be more prompt in my actions. The competition proceeded and I tried my best to be more focused. I kept wiping sweat off my face. I was uptight under Mr. Chiong’s scrutiny.

By eight o’clock, the first group of shot putters had marched onto the field. They were all girls in the Under 15 category. I was given a list with 27 names on it. I called the roll and found out that three girls had withdrawn from the competition. We gave every athlete a free throw before the actual competition started. Then, all of them went through three rounds to determine the final eight. I remained sharply focused on the girls to avoid making errors. It was quite tiring going through the mechanical process of calling out athletes’ numbers, ensuring that they all threw in the correct manner, taking the measurements of their throws, and picking up the shots. We worked without stopping until the athletes had been whittled to eight. By now, the sun had reached its zenith and we were glistening with sweat. I felt like giving up, but I knew I should press on with determination. As a chief referee, I should lead by example.

When you are nervous, things always go paradoxically against you. Out of carelessness, I messed up the order of the last four athletes and Mr. Chiong quickly corrected everything. I kept apologizing profusely. A few athletes tittered in amusement. “It’s okay,” Mr. Chiong said, tapping my shoulder. “Take a deep breath and you’ll be less jittery.” I was in a snit and assured myself that I would not get into a similar blunder again. I heaved a sigh of relief when the first competition came to an end. I was determined to do a better job in the next one.

“Mr. Lo, how’re things going?” I turned around and saw the hulking figure of Mr. Chiong, the sports officer. “Everything’s fine,” I answered. “The final eight have been determined.” Mr. Chiong’s presence put me under tremendous pressure. I felt ill at ease under his observing eyes. I called out the number of a blue-shirted girl, “RM106!”

There were fewer athletes in the next competition and I was glad that I had remained composed throughout the competition. We also faced no problem the next day. The sky was cloudy and we were not as tired as the previous day. Everything ran smoothly.


MARCH 2013

VOL. # 13 ISSUE #2

LESSONS FROM A NEW REFEREE (continued from page 8) The third day was the most exhausting one. We dealt with two categories of male athletes and they vastly outnumbered the girls. The sun was unbearably hot and it sapped our energy. At one point, our girls were so tired that they lay sprawled on the ground, refusing to get up. Mr. Enteri and I had to sweet talk them back to work. Mr. Chiong came to observe us several times, and I was able to stay focused on my job. Periodically, a few teachers came to offer us assistance, and we were thankful for their help.

“Mr. Lo, well done on your job,” Mr. Chiong congratulated me, extending his massive hand. “Thank you,” I said, shaking his hand. “I owe everything to you.”

Every evening after I had finished my job, I would have dinner at my parents’ house before returning home. My Mum urged me to drink a lot of water to replenish the lost fluids in my body. I retired to bed early every night. The hectic job of refereeing made me dream about a lot of nonsensical things.

The sports meet had taught me an important lesson. I should be positive about taking up new challenges. To accomplish my job well, I should stay focused and be observant. Whining and complaining would not solve anything.

“Are you ready to referee the same competition in the future?” he asked. “I am,” I replied, “if I am given the opportunity.”

In a few minutes, the closing ceremony would commence. I decided to go home early to avoid the likely traffic jams. Before leaving the hurly-burly of the stadium, I gave myself a pat on the back.

It was interesting to meet the athletes. Most of them were large-armed teenagers, but they were not necessarily better throwers. A few athletes were able to prove that technique was superior to brawn. Character wise, the boys were jovial and the girls shy. Some boys were excited to see our girl volunteers, and they made our refereeing job less boring with their banter. It was also uplifting to see them lending support to each other. However competitive they were, they did not forget about friendship. On the last day, the sun was equally scorching, but I had grown immune to it. I was able to execute my job more efficiently. At one point, an athlete asked me why his throw had been cancelled. In a calm voice, I explained that he had left the circle in the wrong direction. He protested, but I put my foot down. I was worried that he might resent me, but fortunately he did not. Mr. Chiong gave me a thumbs up and I was very pleased with myself. When the final competition ended, I shook hands with Mr. Enteri and the four girl volunteers. We thanked each other for accomplishing the job of refereeing. Without their help, I would not have had the spirit to continue with my job. They made everything possible for me.


MARCH 2013

VOL. # 13 ISSUE #2

WORLD GAMES IN SOUTH KOREA (continued from page 3) At Incheon Airport Founded in the 1950s by Eunice Kennedy Shriver as a summer camp for young people with intellectual disabilities, the Special Olympics is now the world’s largest sports organization for children and adults with intellectual disabilities. The Games alternates every two years between a Summer Special Olympics and a Winter Special Olympics. The flight from Miri to Kuala Lumpur was on Air Asia flight AK 5265 at 7:05 p.m., ETA 9:20 p.m. There were nine of us from Miri, including myself. Since Air Asia was subsidizing part of our fare to Korea, on arrival, one of Air Asia’s check-in counter staff on duty, Azahari Merzklm, kindly arranged to check our luggage without having to incur the extra expenses of the additional 8 kilos of excess luggage. We arrived on time at Kuala Lumpur International Airport and were welcomed by Air Asia staff, Joanne Chin and Yap Mun Ching. Initially, one of our floor hockey goalie sets was misplaced and we were advised to report to the lost and found. In less than half an hour, Joanne Chin had located our goalie set. Air Asia staff had been very helpful to check-in 22 of us, which took about one hour including tickets and luggage. We really appreciated them. We were also given Air Asia hats valued at RM 25 each. The coaches, Miss Pang Lee Ying and Siew Yong Hock gathered the Miri athletes and their luggage and brought them for their evening meal, in preparation for the overnight flight. On arrival at the airport from Miri to Kuala Lumpur, we did not expect any welcoming team from Kuala Lumpur. Malaysia‘s representatives were only from Sabah and Sarawak. It would have been different if other states from West Malaysia took part. Surprisingly, we were met by three Special Olympic Malaysia (SOM) committee members including Datuk Muhammad Feisol Hj. Hassan, President of Special Olympics Malaysia (SOM). Dato’ Peter Velappan, Vice President, handed us 20 sets of winter gloves and winter caps sponsored by Universal Traveler.

We left KL at 1 a.m. and reached Incheon Airport, Seoul, South Korea at 7:20 a.m. local time, one hour ahead of Miri. Some teams from different countries also arrived at the same time. A team of Special Olympics Winter World Games volunteers cheered and welcomed as each team came through. We immediate felt the coldness as some of the athletes never had experienced cold temperature. The sight of snow was a “wow” to most of the athletes. As soon as we arrived, we had to report for registration at the Welcoming Convention Centre in the city. The athletes were given jumpers, a backpack and GPS for the safety of all athletes. A light snack was given and we spent about an hour sorting the program and attending the briefing hosted by the Korean delegates.

What I have learned My experience arriving at Kuala Lumpur and Korea’s airport clearly distinguished the true feeling of duty calling, and volunteerism calling. My honest comment on the welcome given by the Special Olympic Committee from Kuala Lumpur was one of duty, including the giving of sponsored gifts. You do not need words to explain, body language can clearly show how sincere a person is. The volunteers from Korea did not know any of us, but they shouted cheers of welcoming, making Malaysia’s team and other countries feel warmth and hospitality. I am not comparing, but have learned the art of sincerity shown to people around us, whether it’s out of duty, or out of the heart.

[Editor's Note: Sabah and Sarawak are two provinces of Malaysia located on the island of Borneo. Also, the designation Datuk (male) or Dato' is an honorary title for Malaysians.]


MARCH 2013

VOL. # 13 ISSUE #2


Panting and puffing heavily, I paused along the trail many times to catch my breath. At one point my body was so drained of energy that I wanted to give up, but some hikers prodded me to press on.

Without the encumbrance of the knapsack, I was able to get my second wind in the last twenty minutes of the ascent. Amidst applause, I reached the canopy walk station.

“Buck up, fella,” a Filipino man piped. “You can do it!”

After thanking the young man and the other cheering hikers, I placed the knapsack on my back once more. Its weight seemed to have been magically reduced within minutes!

“Think of the beautiful sight above,” said a Dusun woman. “And you will soon forget about your tiredness.” I gave them a wry smile and came to a stop again. The knapsack on my back seemed to be getting heavier and heavier. “Brother,” said a young Malay man. “If you don’t mind, let me carry your knapsack.” “It’s okay,” I declined. “I can cope with the weight.” “Are you sure?” He said doubtfully. I clenched my teeth and with a big stride, stepped over a protruding root. But I staggered backwards and the young man reacted quickly, propping me up from behind. “Thank you,” I said in embarrassment. “There are too many things inside my knapsack.” “Let me carry it for a while,” insisted the young man. “I will return it to you once we reach the canopy walk station.” Moved by his sincerity, I unstrapped the knapsack from my back and handed it to him. He carried the bag as if it were weightless and I could not help thinking that I was getting old.

The canopy walk is a series of suspension bridges that span an infinity of greenery. If you fall, your body will surely be crushed into pieces. At first, I was hemming and hawing about crossing the walkway but the sight of many gleeful kids bouncing along the wooden planks emboldened my spirit, compelling me to take up the challenge. Suppressing the tremor that fanned out from my spine, I held the rope handrails tightly as I gingerly crossed one bridge after another among the highly elevated treetops. My confidence grew when my steps became accustomed to the shaking rhythm of the bridges. There were viewing platforms at the intersections of the bridges. The green cornucopia of ravines below the walkway was awe-inspiring and divinely beautiful. All my tiredness evaporated. Upon completion of the canopy walk, I pumped my fist in jubilation. In my eagerness to reach the foothills, I trotted down the sloping trail. Midway through my trek, I carelessly sprained my left knee, resulting in a sharp, excruciating pain. “To reduce the pain,” advised an Indian lady. “Sidestep your way down the slope.” I followed her advice, but the pain simply worsened. “What is happening to you?” a middleaged Chinese woman and her teenage daughter asked me. I told them about my sprained knee and they gave me a look of commiseration.


MARCH 2013

VOL. # 13 ISSUE #2

AN ENCOUNTER WITH KINDNESS IN SABAH (cont'd. from page 11) “May I take your picture?” the daughter asked. “When we reach the foothills, we can show your photo to the security guards and tell them about your predicament.” “Thanks for your helpfulness,” I said. The daughter also saved my phone number in her cell phone. When she and her mother were gone, I sat down on a tree stump and rubbed my knee in a futile effort to ease the pain. After resting for twenty minutes, I got up and, through the sharp pain, resumed my descent. With determination, I managed to limp all the way to the safety of the foothills. Two security guards recognized my face from the photograph taken by the two kind ladies. They asked if I was all right and I thanked them for their concern.

Lying in my hotel bed at around 9.30 that night, I received a text message from the kind mother and daughter. They inquired about my condition, and their obvious concern touched my heart deeply. I told them I was safe and thanked them for their kindness. Before turning in, I said a prayer of gratitude to God. It was God’s plan for me to encounter so many kind people that day.

[Editor's Note: The Kadazan and Dusun people are native tribes of the Malaysian province of Sabah. ]

My next destination was the Poring Hot Springs. The public bath area is located near the foothills. My tour-mates, the Kadazan tour guide and the British family, must have been there long before I arrived. I wanted to change into my swim trunks and enjoyed a hot bath, but there was no locker room in sight. I did not feel safe leaving my belongings in the changing room. Just as I was about to give up on my plan, I heard Jeff, Mr. Dave’s son-in-law, calling my name. Relieved to see him and his family, I went into a nearby changing room and changed into my swim trunks. The British family had reserved a bath for me and they were willing to take care of my knapsack. With my mind unburdened, I was glad to immerse myself in the mineral-rich hot water, which helped to soothe my aching knee. It was finally time to leave the public bath area. It took us another three hours to reach Kota Kinabalu. I bade farewell to the tourist guide and the British family. It had been an interesting trip, and what a physical feat I had achieved!


MARCH 2013

VOL. # 13 ISSUE #2

A NEW ARRIVAL (continued from page 6)

Initially, astute Benjamin was apprehensive; sensing

Immediately, I asserted to the menagerie who the

deception at play but ingenious me lowered myself

pack leader is. I declared loudly that I would stick

as close to him as possible and sang his favorite

giant pins on toys that were in with the joke!!!!

lullabies. Thankfully this trick seemed to work as

Ripped their ears off and shoved them up where the

he soon fell asleep; with Benjamin non-the wiser

sun don’t shine!!!!

except to ponder that grandma’s grips were getting as sloppy as her singing.

Instantly, calm was restored. I did not hear another sound. This mischief-maker knew better not to

Another of Benjamin’s favorite tricks was to see

prank his cranky grandma again.

how many times he could get me off my seat. Somehow he worked out a system to wait till I had

p/s Now, I have the delightful pleasure of front row

settled down comfortably before he would moan

seat to this cheeky bugger’s relentless performances

and groan. Concerned, I would bolt to him only to

on his unsuspecting parents. Ahhhhhh, such are the

find an angelic sound-asleep baby. After numerous

good and bad of grandparenthood.

such false alarms, I stood and watched over him for an extended period and only when I was absolutely sure all was well before I returned to my reading. As expected, the moment I located my page; Benjamin started his whimpering. Tiresome of his ruckus, I chose to ignore his whining. Benjamin would then up his antic with gasping-for-air noises. Alarmed, I dashed to his side only to sight a snoozing baby lay. By now, Benjamin’s perfect timing began to baffle me. It took a few more nights before I finally caught on to his tricks. I figured that Benjamin must had assistance from his toy buddies; otherwise who else could have alerted him to rouse me strategically from my comfort zone?


MARCH 2013


VOL. # 13 ISSUE #2

(continued from page 7)

That evening I helped Cindy with the preparations

We all went back to bed. Needless to say, I did not

for dinner and then did the clean up for her after

sleep very well . I was very thankful that I had

dinner. We watched television for awhile and then I

gotten up to look at what I had flicked off my arm.

went to bed. I heard the rain as I fell asleep.

If not, I am sure the centipede would have come up again to sleep somewhere on my warm body and I probably would have been bitten.

In the middle of the night I suddenly woke up. I was sleeping on my right side. I felt a slight weight on my upper left arm that was on top of the sheet. I

The next morning Dick and Cindy told me their

thought maybe a gecko. I flicked off whatever it

centipede story about German friends of their

was on my arm with my right hand. I was about

daughter, Caitlin, who had stayed in the same room.

ready to go back to sleep, but I thought I had better

They had been getting ready for bed and had turned

get up and check things out.

down the covers on the bed and had seen "a snake with many legs". They told Dick and Cindy and

I put on my glasses, got out of bed and turned on the

they got their tongs and went in the room to take the

light in the bedroom. As I walked around the bed I

uninvited guest out of the room. They never told the

saw on the bed skirt neatly spread in a straight line a

Germans what the "snake with many legs "was.

5 to 6 inch centipede. I went out of the room to the closet near the kitchen to get a tin of insect spray

I expect centipedes in Miri, but this was my first

that I had seen there. When I got back to the

experience in Maui or Hawaii. I had lived in Hawaii

bedroom I thought I had better put on my sandals

in pretty primitive conditions when I spent three

before I sprayed the centipede.

months in Peace Corps Training in 1965 on the big island of Hawaii. This was one guest that I never

I sprayed the centipede on the bed skirt and it very

want in my bed again.

quickly moved to the floor. I immediately started stomping on it, but the floor had carpet, so the centipede kept moving. When it headed for my suitcase on the floor I started pounding it with the rim of the bottom of the insect spray tin. I kept hitting it until it was dead. In the midst of this my brother came into the room wondering what all the noise was. I told him what had happened. He went out and got some tongs to pick up the dead centipede and dispose of it. I looked at the comforter, it was not touching the floor, but the bed skirt was. This is how the centipede got on to the bed.


MARCH 2013

VOL. # 13 ISSUE #2

Photo and Quotation Credits: Title


Waving lady

License purchased at; Image 146386826

William Shakespeare

Capulet's Orchard, Act 2, Scene 2, Romeo & Juliet,


Referee with whistle

License purchased at; Image 67151959

World Winter Games

Peyongchang Special Olympics World Winter Games 2013. Retrieved September 22, 2013, from:

Man walking with girl

License purchased at; Image 151555856

Hiker at mountaintop

License purchased at; Image 133084274

Baby and butterfly

License purchased at; Image 100664791

Maui shoreline

License purchased at; Image 72698698

SOCIETY OF ENGLISH WRITERS - SARAWAK - ELECTED OFFICERS President Luke Chong Secretary Jennie Soh Treasurer Siong Teck Yian Committee Members: Bharathi Anand, Florence Enau, Helena Henry, Datin Juriah Abdullah

Society blog:

Contact us at:, or


The Coconut Tree - Literary Magazine of the Society of English Writers - Sarawak  

From the island of Borneo, budding writers in the English-language explore creative non-fiction in the literary magazine of the Society of E...

The Coconut Tree - Literary Magazine of the Society of English Writers - Sarawak  

From the island of Borneo, budding writers in the English-language explore creative non-fiction in the literary magazine of the Society of E...