MATURA ANSWER KEY
Matura Answer Key
MATURA ANSWER KEY MATURA GRAMMAR BUILDER 1 PRESENT SIMPLE 1 1. walks 2. like 3. leaves 4. teaches 5. sing 6. drink 7. knows 8. smells 2 1. Do they live…? 2. Does he travel…? 3. Do you do …? 4. Is it…? 5. Does she like…? 6. Does it lie…? 3 1. What time /When does the bank open? 2. Where is the post office? 3. When /How often do they play tennis? 4. How do you get to work? 5. Where does she have lunch? 6. Where are they from? 7. Who do you always invite to your parties? 8. What does Mrs Beck teach (you)? 4 1. don’t enjoy 2. doesn’t belong 3. doesn’t eat 4. don’t go out 5. doesn’t speak 6. don’t agree 5 1. is never 2. rarely speaks 3. often see 4. always talks 5. usually stays 6 1. She goes to the gym three times a week. 2. The bus goes to the railway station every two hours. 3. He sees his uncle once a year. 4. I go on holiday twice a year. 5. I pay my phone bill every month.
2 PRESENT CONTINUOUS 1 1. is looking 2. am dreaming 3. are leaving 4. am saving 5. are going 6. are driving
7. are building 8. is standing 9. are helping 10. is preparing 2 1. am staying 2. am having 3. am writing 4. are going 5. are having 6. are spending 7. is learning 8. are visiting 3 1. Are they staying…? 2. Are you coming…? 3. Are you taking…? 4. Is it raining…? 5. Is he repairing…? 6. Am I speaking…? 4 1. He isn’t enjoying… 2. We aren’t expecting… 3. She isn’t working… 4. We aren’t travelling… 5. You aren’t listening… 5 1. When are they leaving? 2. How long are you staying (for)? 3. Who are you talking to? 4. Who is she waiting for? 5. What are you listening to? 6. Where is he flying tonight? 6 1. Who are you going/coming with? Who is going/coming with you? 2. When are you going/leaving? 3. …where are you staying?
3 PRESENT SIMPLE VS PRESENT CONTINUOUS 1 1. is waving 2. speaks 3. am looking 4. don’t think 5. starts 6. are driving 7. stays 8. am not using 9. does the library open 10. miss 2 1. studies, is studying 2. are going, go 3. read, am reading 4. is watching, watches 5. sells, are selling
MATURA ANSWER KEY 3 1. are you leaving… 2. do you need… 3. Does he know… 4. Is he saying… 5. Are they enjoying… 4 1. is looking after 2. don’t want 3. takes a long time 4. am not waiting for anyone 5. works part-time 6. am not doing anything 5 1. What are you looking …? 2. How often do you go…? 3. …are (they) doing… 4. …time does (it) leave? 5. Do (you) smoke? 6 1. a. looks b. am just looking 2. a. smells b. am smelling 3. a. is having b. don’t have /haven’t got 4. a. thinks b. is thinking 7 1. lives 2. studies 3. spends 4. hasn’t got /doesn’t have 5. is working 6. is trying 7. wants 8. are flying 9. are taking 10. loves /adores
4 PRESENT PERFECT 1 1. have left 2. has been 3. has changed 4. have moved 5. has broken 6. have put 7. have done 8. have missed 2 1. have just got 2. has always been 3. have painted…so far 4. still hasn’t arrived 5. hasn’t written yet 6. Have…ever done
7. have never seen 8. has…left yet 9. have already had 3 1. for 2. for 3. since 4. since 5. for 6. since 7. since 8. since 9. for 4 1. haven’t seen her for 2. have been here for 3. has had this watch since 4. haven’t visisted us for 5. hasn’t lived here since 6. hasn’t rained here for 7. have known him since 8. haven’t eaten (anything) since 5 1. Have you been 2. Have they had 3. Has she found 4. Have you heard 5. Has he left 6 1. How long have they been married? 2. What have you eaten? 3. Where has he gone? 4. How much have you written so far? 5. Where have you put it?
5 PRESENT PERFECT CONTINUOUS 1 1. has been raining 2. has been smoking 3. have been using 4. have been playing 5. have been trying 6. has been learning 7. have been walking 8. has been working 9. have been living 10. has been collecting 2 1. have been working 2. hasn’t been sleeping 3. have been cleaning 4. have been thinking 5. has been travelling 6. haven’t been doing 3 1. Have you been waiting long? 2. Has she been crying? 3. Have they been fighting again? 4. Have you been studying all night? 5. Have you been smoking again?
MATURA ANSWER KEY 4 1. How long has she been playing the piano? Since… 2. How long has she been working in the Marketing Department / there? For… 3. How long has he been sleeping? For… 4. How long have you / we been studying? Since… 5. How long have they been living in the town centre / there? Since… 5 1. Jeff has been playing basketball for our school club since last year / for a year. 2. We’ve been travelling (by train / on the train) since 7 a.m. / for 4 hours. 3. Jimmy has been working as a social worker since he left school (two years ago) / for two years. 4. They have been playing in a band since January. 5. Diane and Tom haven’t been speaking to each other since they had an argument (two days ago) / for two days.
6 PAST SIMPLE 1 1. carried 2. hit 3. studied 4. lied 5. opened 6. stopped 7. ran 8. played 9. liked 10. cleaned 2 1. was 2. worked 3. lived 4. weren’t 5. got 6. became 7. formed 8. made 9. called 10. performed 11. met 12. replaced 13. began 14. were 15. decided 16. ended 17. fell 18. married 19. left 20. released 21. stayed 22. wrote 23. killed 3 1. Were you 2. Did you buy 3. Did you like /enjoy it? 4. Did you go 5. Was she
4 1. What did Mark send you? 2. When did you buy this bike? 3. What did Henry buy his daughter? 4. Where did you meet them? 5. How long did he live in France? 6. When /What time did she leave the house this morning? 7. How much did you pay for this hi-fi? 8. Who did she ask for help? 5 1. didn’t watch 2. didn’t catch 3. wasn’t 4. didn’t tell 5. didn’t see 6. didn’t work 6 1. in 2. at 3. during /in 4. on 7 1. did …use to study in primary school 2. Did … use to smoke a lot 3. used to be a quiet place 4. didn’t use to have much free time 5. used to work with us 6. didn’t use to be good friends 7. did … use to play with 8. used to spend every holiday 8 1. Sandra phoned you while you were out of town. 2. When they saw the accident, they called for an ambulance. 3. We got on the train when it arrived at the platform.
7 PAST SIMPLE VS PRESENT PERFECT 1 1. was 2. read 3. haven’t seen 4. has collected 5. was 6. visited 7. ate 8. have eaten 9. has been, bit 2 1. did, didn’t 2. was, was 3. has, has 4. were, were 5. have, haven’t 3 1. How long did he live in Italy? 2. How long has he lived in Greece? 3. How much (money) have you spent this week? 4. Where did you spend the night? 5. When did she phone? 6. How long have you known them?
MATURA ANSWER KEY 4 1. a. had b. have been 2. c. visited d. haven’t seen 3. e. had f. has been 4. g. hasn’t had h. stopped 5. i. has collected j. went 5 1. George has been unemployed since he lost his job two months ago. Since he lost his job two months ago, George has been unemployed. 2. I haven’t spoken to Muriel since she went to the USA last week. Since Muriel went to the USA last week, I haven’t spoken to her. 3. Tom and I have been good friends since we went to high school together. Since we went to high school together, Tom and I have been good friends. 4. I haven’t heard from Chris since he sent me a letter a few weeks ago. Since Chris sent me a letter a few weeks ago, I haven’t heard from him. 5. She has been much happier since she changed her school last year. / Since she changed her school last year, she has been much happier.
8 PAST CONTINUOUS 1 1. was lying 2. was waiting 3. were practising 4. was reading 5. was working 6. was riding 7. were looking 8. were getting 2 1. was sleeping 2. was watching 3. was reading 4. were driving 5. was raining 6. was blowing 7. were dancing 8. was sitting 9. were having 3 1. Where were you sitting? 2. Were you having a party? 3. Why was she crying? 4. What was he talking about? 5. Was he waiting for you? 6. What were you doing at 2 a.m.last night? 4 1. wasn’t sleeping 2. wasn’t studying 3. weren’t waiting 4. weren’t enjoying 5. wasn’t raining
5 1. …we were having lunch. 2. …I was going by train… 3. She was playing tennis… 4. …they were spending their holiday… 5. …was taking his driving exam.
9 PAST SIMPLE VS PAST CONTINUOUS 1 1. were having 2. were chatting 3. were playing 4. thought 5. was just talking 6. heard 7. looked 8. saw 9. was standing 10. realised 11. was choking 12. picked 13. slapped 14. came 2 1. weren’t looking, jumped, stole 2. was sleeping, rang, didn’t have, was waiting 3. was driving, saw, were standing, gave /were giving 4. saw, were talking, didn’t look, were (you) having 5. was reading, heard, looked, saw, were standing, were making 3 1. Where were you going (by train the other day)? 2. Who did you meet? 3. What/Who was she looking for? 4. What did you give her? 5. What/Who were they waiting for (at the bus stop)? 6. What did they see? 7. What did they phone for? 8. What time did she come back (home last night)? 9. What was she opening? 10. What did she realise? 4 1. While I was leaving the house this morning, the postman brought me a telegram. 2. They were walking in the park when it started to rain. 3. As she was walking towards the front door, she heard some voices inside her house. 4. They were sitting in the pub when a fight started. 5. She found an old painting while she was cleaning the attic. 6. He was riding his bike very fast when he crashed into a tree. 5 1. met, was going/travelling 2. were waiting, went 3. saw, stopped, called 4. wasn’t sleeping, was trying 5. were looking, didn’t know 6. heard, saw, was running
MATURA ANSWER KEY 10 PAST PERFECT 1 1. had bought on holiday 2. had broken down 3. hadn’t studied much 4. had drunk too much 5. hadn’t remembered 6. hadn’t checked 2 1. met, hadn’t seen 2. had already left, arrived 3. got, had already begun 4. thought, had given up 5. was, had crashed 6. hadn’t studied, was 7. didn’t want, had had 8. had done, started 9. found, had been 10. told, had had 3 1. They went out for a walk after they had had dinner. /After they had had dinner, they went out for a walk. 2. We had checked the car carefully before we decided to buy it. / Before we decided to buy the car, we had checked it carefully. 3. We started writing after the teacher had given us the test papers. / After the teacher had given us the test papers, we started writing. 4. He wanted to buy the motorbike when he had seen it. /When he had seen the motorbike, he wanted to buy it. 5. The robbers had got away before the police got to the bank. / Before the police got to the bank, the robbers had got away. 6. They had been a couple for ten years before they got married. / Before they got married, they had been a couple for ten years. 7. They decided to go to Egypt after they had looked at many holiday brochures. /After they had looked at many brochures, they decided to go to Egypt. 8. Everybody had left the building before the bomb exploded. /Before the bomb exploded, everybody had left the building. 9. Ben had been out of work for several months before he found a part-time job. / Before Ben found a part-time job, he had been out of work for several months. 10. He started feeling dizzy after he had drunk the poison. /After he had drunk the poison, he started feeling dizzy. 4 1. She had never ridden a camel before. 2. Unfortunately, the storm had damaged the roof. 3. He had had it for 15 years. 4. He had never seen fireworks before. 5. She had had a very bad night. 6. I had forgotten to set up the alarm clock the night before. 7. It had been with the family for 12 years.
11 FUTURE SIMPLE 1 1. will lend 2. will do 3. won’t tell 4. will give 5. will tidy 6. will be 7. will take
2 1. I’ll stay 2. I won’t take 3. I’ll stop 4. I won’t smoke 5. I’ll call 6. I won’t see 3 1. Will you close 2. Will you wait 3. Will you go 4. Will you open 5. Will you help 4 1. will start 2. will take 3. will cost 4. will offer 5. will stand 6. will be 7. will have 5 1. will…start 2. will…take 3. will…cost 4. will…stand 5. will…have 6 1. will find 2. won’t pass 3. will be 4. won’t join 5. won’t be
12 FUTURE CONTINUOUS 1 1. …will be playing tennis with Mikey. 2. …will be tidying the basement. 3. …will be seeing Jackie at lunch / having lunch with Jackie. 4. …will be doing shopping together. 5. …will be repairing the bike. 6. …will be watching football/a football game (on Channel 1). 2 1. will be waiting 2. will be staying 3. will be driving 4. won’t be sleeping 5. will be studying 3 1. What will you be wearing? 2. Where will they be sitting? 3. How long will he be staying in London? 4. What will you be doing at 7 p.m.? 4 1. will you be seeing 2. Will you be staying 3. Will you be going 4. Will you be driving
MATURA ANSWER KEY 13 FUTURE FORMS (PRESENT CONTINUOUS VS FUTURE SIMPLE VS BE GOING TO) 1 1. is going to rain 2. will watch 3. am going 4. will apologise 5. am going to make 6. will help 7. am going to have 8. will take 9. are arriving 10. am going to buy 2 1. are (you) going to start studying 2. am (I) going to tell my dad 3. am going to listen to your chest 4. isn’t going to sell the painting 5. am going to do some cleaning 6. aren’t going to buy a new car 3 1. No, it isn’t. It’s going to be quite chilly. 2. No, you won’t. You will pass (it) easily. 3. No, they aren’t. They’re arriving tonight. 4. No, she won’t. She’ll be amused. 5. No, he isn’t. He is going to stay here. 4 1. am going to buy, will pay 2. are coming, will start 3. will have, is going to rain 4. are going, will have 5. aren’t going to faint /won’t faint, will get 5 1. am going to buy 2. will get 3. am going 6 1. When are they coming? 2. What is she going to study? 3. How long will the test take? 4. How are they going to get there? 5. Who will you ask to help us/you? 6. Where are you going this weekend?
14 FUTURE TIME CLAUSES 1 1. g 2. a 3. b 4. f 2 1. will be, sees 2. will call, get 3. get, will be 4. save, will buy 5. won’t go, comes 6. will help, finish 7. won’t go, clean 8. won’t get, starts
9. starts, will open 10. have, will you take 3 1. will look, am 2. will go, finishes 3. is, will have 4. will talk, make 5. will feel, leaves 6. won’t put, finds 7. start, won’t stop, finish 8. take, will go 9. will call, repair 10. will carry, gets 4 1. …until my dad lends me some money. 2. …after the film finishes. 3. …when Jeff comes back from the office. 4. …when she gets to the camp. 5. …until the weather gets better. 5 1. before 2. when /after 3. when /after 4. until 6 1. …will start building…after…finishes. 2. Before…leave…will close… 3. …won’t go out until …stops… 4. …will understand…when you talk… 5. …won’t feel…after you have… 6. When…comes back…will have…
15 TENSE REVIEW 1 1. B 2. C 3. B 4. C 5. C 6. A 7. C 8. B 9. A 10. C 11. B 12. C 13. B 14. B 15. A 2 1. was/got /had never happened 2. were walking/stopped 3. don’t spend/am doing/need 4. will get /arrive 5. hasn’t phoned/went 3 1. Are 2. Will 3. Have 4. Does 5. Was
MATURA ANSWER KEY 6. Had 7. Has 8. Do 9. Were 10. Did 4 1. She’s having a shower. 2. I haven’t eaten since 9 a.m. 3. They were waiting for me near the entrance. 4. Her husband hadn’t watered them. 5. She has been taking lessons for 3 years. 6. They are renovating the town hall at the moment. 7. They built it in the 17th century. 8. She always leaves her things everywhere. 5 1. don’t know, have met 2. are arriving/coming, will have/are going to have 3. Were you 4. has been looking, hasn’t found 5. will ask, comes/gets 6. leaves, will buy 7. found, was sitting 8. showed, had taken 9. will meet, will be waiting 10. have had, are going to sell
16 PASSIVE VOICE 1 1. E Present Simple 2. C Past Simple 3. D Present Perfect 4. B Past Perfect 5. A Future Simple 2 1. His last novel has never been published. 2. The results will be announced next week. 3. a. A new catalogue is sent to us every three months. b. We are sent a new catalogue every three months. 4. The safe was opened last night. 5. a. Beautiful roses were given to Sarah this morning. b. Sarah was given beautiful roses this morning. 6. Before that incident, we hadn’t been attacked by his dogs. 7. a. Frank’s office has been given to Alison. b. Alison has been given Frank’s office. 8. … they had been informed. 9. A few concerts will be organised during the summer. 10. The machines are checked by a technician once a week. 3 1. How many fans were arrested after the concert? 2. Where will the new leisure centre be built? 3. When was the mystery crime solved? 4. Why has the flight been delayed? 5. How often is the festival organised? 4 1. was checked 2. won’t be played 3. had been delivered 4. have been sold 5. is located 6. hasn’t been repaired 7. will be built
8. aren’t used 9. wasn’t built 10. hadn’t been grown 5 1. escaped/were arrested 2. takes/are published 3. had taken/had been checked 4. hasn’t been delivered/have already called 5. will be sent/will try /will be trying
17 CAUSATIVE HAVE 1 1. have a camera film developed 2. have an old coat repaired 3. have your hair cut 4. have the TV set fixed 5. have your portrait painted 6. have your eyes tested 7. have a letter translated 8. have (your) furniture renovated 2 1. has 2. had had 3. haven’t had 4. had 5. will have 3 1. …will have the windows replaced before winter. 2. …had the tap repaired… 3. …have the newspapers delivered to my house… 4. …is going to have her hair coloured… 5. …haven’t had the documents translated…
18 CONDITIONAL CLAUSES (TYPES: 0 & 1) 1 1. never shouts/is angry 2. get back /is a traffic jam 3. usually gets up/doesn’t go 4. drink strong coffee/need to study 5. gets a headache/the weather changes 2 1. leave, will steal 2. let, will meet 3. won’t wait, isn’t 4. will be, doesn’t get 5. stop, will pay 6. don’t give up, will have 7. won’t buy, doesn’t give 8. will be, don’t put up 9. doesn’t find, will go 10. will need, don’t sell 3 1. I won’t speak to him unless he apologises to me. / Unless he apologises to me, I won’t speak to him. 2. I sometimes go out to a pub unless there is some work to do. / Unless there is some work to do, I sometimes go out to a pub. 3. She won’t come with us unless her parents let her. /Unless her parents let her, she won’t come with us. 4. I won’t say anything unless my lawyer comes! /Unless my lawyer comes, I won’t say anything!
MATURA ANSWER KEY 5. You’ll pass the driving test easily unless you get too nervous. Unless you get too nervous, you’ll pass the driving test easily. 4 1. don’t leave, will miss 2. will call, doesn’t feel 3. won’t be, are 4. phones, will (you) ask 5. will (you) tell, wants 5 1. will do, don’t feel 2. do, am 3. always complains, goes 4. will be, goes 5. rains, won’t go 6. rains, is always 6 1. She will be very disappointed if you don't come. 2. You will catch a cold if you go for a walk in this weather. 3. My English teacher will be mad if she doesn't get it tomorrow. 4. If the weather is nice, I will show you the Old Town.
19 CONDITIONAL CLAUSE (TYPE 2) 1 1. were, wouldn’t get 2. wouldn’t buy, were 3. Would you study, had 4. weren’t, would be 5. did, would be 6. would be, didn’t have 7. would do, were 8. built, wouldn’t be 9. wouldn’t have, drank 10. wouldn’t taste, was 2 1. If I were you, I wouldn’t spend so much money on clothes. 2. If I were him, I would start preparing for the final exam. 3. If I were you, I would see a doctor. 4. If I were her, I wouldn’t be so touchy. 5. If I were him, I would start my own business. 3 1. was /were, wouldn’t let 2. were, wouldn’t hang 3. would buy, had 4. weren’t /wasn’t, would stand 5. would spend, didn’t have 4 (including sample answers) 1. would you go…could…? I’d go to Africa. 2. won…would you spend…? I’d buy a new car. 3. would you do…saw…? I’d talk to him or her about it. 4. would you take…wanted…? I’d take some experienced explorers.. 5. told…would you keep…? I’d keep it forever. 5 1. People would like him if he weren’t/wasn’t so big-headed. /If he weren’t/wasn’t so big-headed, people would like him. 2. We would see each other more often if he didn’t live abroad. /If he didn’t live abroad, we would see each other more often. 3. It wouldn’t be cold inside if the windows weren’t (so) old. /If the windows weren’t (so) old, it wouldn’t be cold inside.. 4. He would like you if you didn’t laugh at him. /If you didn’t laugh at him, he would like you.
5. I would have a car if I had enough money. /If I had enough money, I would have a car. 6 1. were /was, would see 2. will ask, has 3. don’t fix, will call 4. went, would make 5. were /was, would go
20 QUESTION TAGS 1 1. c 2. f 3. e 4. a 5. k 6. j 7. m 8. n 9. l 10. g 11. o 12. d 13. h 14. i 15. b 2 1. do you 2. has she 3. didn’t he 4. hasn’t he 5. are you 6. is it 7. can’t she 8. haven’t you 9. hadn’t they 10. shouldn’t I 11. wasn’t she 3 1. don’t you 2. didn’t he 3. aren’t they 4. isn’t it 5. have you 6. will he 7. doesn’t it 8. didn’t you 9. do we 10. has she 11. weren’t you 12. aren’t we 13. isn’t he 14. does she 15. won’t he 4 1. The conference was very boring… 2. They will cancel the trip if the weather is bad… 3. He has always been interested in computers… 4. The meeting won’t take long… 5. He doesn’t like his new school…
MATURA ANSWER KEY 6. They are arriving tomorrow morning… 7. I have never lied to you… 8. You didn’t have very good weather during the camp… 9. She wasn’t happy to see you and Brenda at the party together… 10. It is raining now…
21 INDIRECT QUESTIONS 1 1. does the performance start 2. if the conference will finish 3. they did 4. they are going 5. Have you ever been 6. she found 7. has she been working 2 1. if /whether you have finished the essay 2. if /whether she is always so bad-tempered 3. if /whether they are going to get married 4. if /whether he speaks any foreign languages 5. if /whether she was happy to hear the news 6. if /whether we will be on time 7. if /whether he called last week 8. if /whether you would like to see this apartment today 3 1. did, …what time they arrived yesterday 2. were, …what you were doing yesterday between 2 and 4 a.m. 3. do, …what you think about the whole problem now 4. is, …when he is going to find a job 5. have, …how long you have been collecting all these autographs 6. does, …what her brother does for a living 7. have, …how long you have known that man 8. will, …where I will live in the future 9. are, …what time they are coming tomorrow 4 1. Mark lives 2. you paid for your dress 3. I will do this weekend 4. Mary and Steve have known 5. time it is 5 Suggested answers: 1. Is it all right if I open the window?/I wonder if I could open the window. 2. I’d like to know how much this T-shirt is/costs./Could you tell me how much this T-shirt is/costs? 3. I wonder if you could help me (with this exercise). 4. Could you tell me what time the last performance starts?/I’d like to know when/what time the last performance starts.
22 REPORTED SPEECH – STATEMENTS 1 1. would do 2. were staying 3. had bought 4. had been 5. lived 6. had broken 7. wouldn’t come 8. was working
9. didn’t know 10. hadn’t seen 2 1. e 2. h 3. a 4. f 5. c 6. d 7. b 8. g 1. …will be ready in about half an hour. 2. …is a terrible traffic jam in the town centre. 3. …ate my copybook yesterday. 4. …will sell the house soon. 5. …haven’t seen such an exciting game before. 6. …don’t like the food very much. 7. …are leaving the hotel at 9 a.m. tomorrow/next morning. 8. …won’t repair your car until next week. 3 1. would bring 2. hadn’t seen 3. was coming 4. played 5. was looking 6. would have 7. had moved 8. had broken 4 1. …(that) he didn’t know her very well. 2. …(that) the performance had been rather boring. 3. … Mark hadn’t phoned yet. 4. …(that) he would think about that problem. 5. …(that) he was going to change his job. 6. …(that) she wouldn’t lend him any money again. 7. …(that) they were waiting for Mr Brown. 8. …(that) they had been there before. 9. …he had bought that painting the month before /the previous month. 10. …(that) she spoke German and French fluently.
23 REPORTED SPEECH – QUESTIONS, COMMANDS AND REQUESTS 1 1. C 2. A 3. B 4. C 5. B 2 1. Do you like 2. Are you going…tomorrow 3. …time does…start 4. …did you buy 5. Have you…been 6. Will you help 3 1. if /whether we were from Warsaw. 2. if /whether she would be ready for 8 o’clock. 3. if /whether she liked classical music. 4. if /whether they had enjoyed the party.
MATURA ANSWER KEY 5. if /whether her parents were going to stay there long. 6. if /whether she had passed her driving test. 4 1. what time they had left the party. 2. what he was going to buy her. 3. how long we had had that car. 4. how long the journey would take. 5. where Peter worked. 6. what the matter was. 5 1. She asked me to hold the door. 2. She told him not to drink so much coffee. 3. I asked her to call me later. 4. They told us not to take pictures there. 5. The dentist told his patient to sit still. 6. His secretary asked us to wait a few minutes. 7. She told her daughter to put away her clothes at once. 8. He told his girlfriend not to be so serious all the time.
24 MODAL VERBS 1 1. should 2. needn’t 3. couldn’t 4. mustn’t 5. may 6. couldn’t 7. may 8. mustn’t 9. ought 10. can’t 2 1. should /must, may /might 2. couldn’t 3. can’t 4. ought 5. may /might /could 6. could 7. mustn’t /can’t 8. must /should /ought to, must /should /ought to 3 1. can’t 2. must 3. may /might /could 4. can’t 5. may /might /could 6. must 4 1. Can I… 2. Could you wait… 3. You shouldn’t /oughtn’t to worry 4. He could play… 5. Can /Could /May I borrow… 6. We mustn’t /can’t wear… 7. He needn’t take… 8. They may /might arrive… 9. He can’t play… 10. They must borrow… 5 1. Shall…go out 2. Could…see those men
3. can’t play with dogs 4. couldn’t finish her homework 5. Can /Could /May…call you back 6. shouldn’t trust /oughtn’t to trust everyone 7. may /might /could steal it 8. must spend a fortune 6 1. can’t believe 2. could go 3. may /might take 4. should /ought to talk /speak 5. needn’t wait 6. Shall I get /bring 7. couldn’t find 8. You mustn’t eat /have 9. Could you look /have a look 10. must take 11. may /could be 12. must be 13. shouldn’t /oughtn’t to worry 14. can’t have 15. could /may I speak /talk
25 VERB PATTERNS 1 1. to study 2. playing 3. reading 4. go 5. to buy 6. to take 7. to live 8. to go 9. feel 10. going 2 1. to spend 2. talking 3. to stay 4. living, to sell 5. know 6. to see 7. to wait, walking 8. to go, to do 9. to be 10. not to be 11. to see 12. smoking 13. to tell 14. to write 15. working, to look /looking 3 1. ask him to wait 2. makes his students speak 3. wants us to leave 4. don’t let our staff wear 5. told you to turn down 6. would like everyone to listen 4 1. to walk 2. seeing
MATURA ANSWER KEY 3. to play 4. to hear 5. playing 6. to find 7. to meet 8. to live 9. putting 10. playing 5 1. …going for a coffee /having some coffee /going to a café? 2. …to go to the cinema? 3. …being late for the meeting. 4. …to talk /speak to the manager. 5. …listening to classical /rock music. 6. …to go for a walk /to walk. 7. …to help me with /in my homework?
26 COUNTABLE & UNCOUNTABLE NOUNS, ARTICLES & QUANTIFIERS 1 Rzeczowniki policzalne – regularna liczba mnoga: letter, table, vegetable, (sample answers: window, desk) Rzeczowniki policzalne – nieregularna liczba mnoga: tooth, child, man, (sample answers: woman, mouse) Rzeczowniki policzalne w j´zyku polskim, niepoliczalne w j´zyku angielskim: advice, furniture, information, (sample answers: news, litter) Rzeczowniki niepoliczalne – substancje: air, sugar, bread, (sample answers: salt, flour) Rzeczowniki niepoliczalne – rzeczowniki abstrakcyjne: anger, love, music, (sample answers: friendship, happiness) 2 1. a 2. some, a 3. no 4. any 5. some 6. a 7. any 8. no 3 1. much 2. many 3. few 4. many 5. a lot 6. little 7. few 8. some 4 1. were ⇒ was 2. many ⇒ a lot of /lots of 3. a ⇒ – 4. informations ⇒ information 5. no ⇒ any lub haven’t ⇒ have 6. little ⇒ few 7. advices ⇒ advice 8. softwares ⇒ software 5 1. an, The, the 2. –, –
3. a, –, – 4. an, the 5. a, a, –, The, the, the, the, the 6. the, –, an 7. –, a, the, the, an 8. a, a, the, the, –
27 PRONOUNS 1 Zaimki osobowe podmiotu: he, we Zaimki osobowe dope∏nienia: you, her, it, you, them Przymiotniki dzier˝awcze: my, his, its, our, their Zaimki dzier˝awcze: yours, his, hers, ours, yours Zaimki zwrotne i emfatyczne: yourself, herself, yourselves, themselves 2 1. yours, it, My, her 2. them, You, They, He, his 3. its, it, mine, it, her 4. our, ours, theirs, it, you, your 5. her, their, ours 6. her, us 7. them, him 8. yours, mine, hers 9. it, its 10. us, you, my, his 3 1. yourself 2. each other 3. myself 4. (by) themselves 5. himself 6. each other 7. herself 8. each other 9. ourselves 10. yourselves 4 1. these 2. those 3. this 4. those 5. that 6. this 7. these 8. that 5 SOME: something ANY: anybody /anyone, anywhere NO: nobody, nothing, nowhere EVERY: everything, everywhere 1. anybody /anyone 2. somewhere 3. somebody /someone 4. something 5. anything, everything 6. anywhere 7. everywhere, somebody /someone 8. nobody /no one 9. Nothing 10. something
MATURA ANSWER KEY 6 1. Others 2. another 3. each 4. every 5. the other 6. the others 7. none 8. Neither 9. another 10. the others
28 RELATIVE CLAUSES 1 1. which 2. who 3. where 4. which 5. who 2 1. who steal secret information 2. where people come to pray 3. which form a picture 4. who designs buildings 5. which operates the TV-set 3 1. which 3. which 4. who 4 1. …you lent me is very boring. 2. …I came with is dancing with Mike now. 3. …they bought broke down a week later. 4. …we met this morning was my English teacher a few years ago. 5. …we are visiting now was the king’s bedroom. 5 1. They brought a man this morning whose arm was awfully burnt. 2. My daughter goes to class with a girl whose father was my boyfriend many years ago. 3. We saw a cat this morning whose tail was very long. 6 1. who started acting in a Mexican soap opera 2. whose artistic career was rather short 3. who lived in a very poor family 4. whose ceiling was painted by Michelangelo 5. which is 1344 metres high 7 1. I’ve lost the book (which) you lent me last week. 2. I want to talk to the shop assistant who sold me this radio yesterday. 3. We’ve got a neighbour whose wife died many years ago. 4. There is a coffee shop over there where we can wait for them.
29 ADJECTIVES, ADVERBS & CLAUSES OF COMPARISON 1 Stopieƒ wy˝szy i najwy˝szy -er: younger, taller, longer; -est: (the) youngest, (the) tallest, (the) longest -er (podwojona ostatnia spó∏g∏oska): hotter, bigger, wetter; -est (podwojona ostatnia spó∏g∏oska) (the) hottest, (the) biggest, (the) wettest
-r: larger, nicer, later; -st: (the) largest, (the) nicest, (the) latest -ier: dirtier, sunnier, heavier; -iest: (the) dirtiest, (the) sunniest, (the) heaviest more: expensive, difficult, comfortable; the most: expensive, difficult, comfortable forma nieregularna stopieƒ wy˝szy: better, worse, farther /further forma nieregularna stopieƒ najwy˝szy: the best, the worst, the farthest /the furthest 2 1. the trendiest 2. cheaper 3. the most boring 4. the earliest 5. colder 6. harder 7. the largest 8. more interesting 3 1. the least 2. more 3. less 4. the most 4 1. carefully 2. easily 3. hard 4. loudly 5. quietly 6. early 7. quickly 8. slowly 9. well 10. fast 5 1. quickly 2. careful 3. loud /loudly 4. quiet 5. late 6. Fortunately 7. fast 8. heavily 6 1. more carefully 2. the most clearly 3. better 4. the most quickly 5. more regularly 7 1. a. older than Sally (is) b. younger than Jeff (is) 2. a. as many rooms as Jason’s (flat has) b. more rooms than Peter’s (flat has) 3. a. as badly as (they did) last year. b. better than (they did) last year. 4. a. more difficult than this test (was). b. as /so difficult as the last test (was). 5. a. as tall as b. is taller than 8 1. as often as
MATURA ANSWER KEY 2. the most important 3. more interesting than 4. as quickly / fast as 5. more difficult than 6. as well as 7. more slowly 8. the most fascinating 9. more quietly 10. less noisy 11. the oldest 12. harder 13. the least interesting 14. more comfortable than 15. as many friends as
30 ADVERBIAL CLAUSES 1 1. d 2. c 3. a 4. b 2 1. to send 2. not to be 3. to earn 4. not to hear 5. to buy 6. to catch 7. to get up 8. not to help 3 1. He didn’t stop working although it was already past midnight. / Although it was already past midnight, he didn’t stop working. 2. We bought a plan of the town not to get lost. 3. We wore warm clothes because it was quite cold. /Because it was quite cold, we wore warm clothes. 4. He will probably work in Spain so he is learning Spanish. 5. They kept playing the game although it was raining heavily. / Although it was raining heavily, they kept playing the game. 6. We stopped at a filling station to have a rest. 7. As it was a warm and sunny day, we decided to go for a walk. 8. He lives far away so we rarely see each other. 4 1. how clever he can be 2. What really matters in life 3. What I do in the evenings 4. What she will do with this fortune 5. what you wear in the office 5 1. Although 2. What 3. so 4. to 5. but 6. because
31 GENERAL GRAMMAR REVIEW 1 1. B 2. C
3. A 4. B 5. A 6. A 7. B 8. B 9. C 10. C 11. B 12. A 13. B 14. C 15. C 16. B 17. C 18. B 19. A 20. A 21. C 22. B 23. C 24. A 25. A 26. C 27. B 28. C 29. A 30. A 31. C 32. B 33. A 34. C 35. B
MATURA VOCABULARY BUILDER 1. CZ¸OWIEK 1 1. Family name /Surname 2. First name 3. Gender 4. Date of birth 5. Nationality 6. Country of residence 7. City 8. Street address 9. Marital status 10. Education 2 1. name 2. born 3. from 4. lives 5. at 6. married 7. studies /education 3 1. attractive LOOKS 2. middle-aged AGE 3. short HEIGHT 4. slim BUILD
MATURA ANSWER KEY 5. handsome LOOKS 6. straight HAIR 7. plump BUILD 8. tall HEIGHT 4 1. got dressed 2. wears 3. off 4. put on 5. dressed 5 1. dress, shoes 2. tracksuit, trainers (w dowolnej kolejnoÊci) 3. uniform 4. slippers 5. trousers 6. hat 6 1. b 2. e 3. d 4. a 5. c 7 Propozycje odpowiedzi Robert is a young man, about 25 years old. He looks like a student. He’s quite tall and has got short, dark hair. He’s wearing casual clothes, a jeans jacket, jeans and a T-shirt. David is probably about 50 years old. He might be a businessman or an accountant. He’s dressed in a long, black coat, a suit and a tie. He has got a briefcase. Lynn is a middle-aged lady / woman about 40 years old. She could be a teacher or a secretary. She’s slim and has got dark, short, curly hair. She’s wearing a dress, a jacket, and high-heeled shoes. She’s also got a handbag. 8 Zadanie otwarte 9 1. quiet, reliable, helpful, serious 2. untidy, lazy, friendly, cheerful 3. ambitious, hardworking, lonely, kind 10 1. c 2. a 3. b 11 Zadanie otwarte 12 1. angry with 2. pleased with 3. afraid of 4. surprised at 5. excited about 6. bored with 7. keen on 8. interested in 9. happy with /about 10. worried about 13 1. surprised at 2. excited about 3. bored with 4. worried about 5. pleased with /happy with 14 Zadanie otwarte
2. DOM 1 In the city: 1. flats 2. centre 3. floor 4. balcony 5. car park Pozosta∏e s∏owa: lift In the country: 6. cottage 7. village 8. garden 9. garage 10. fireplace Pozosta∏e s∏owa: downstairs, upstairs, gate 2 1. historic 2. quiet 3. crowded 4. noisy 5. cosy 3 KolejnoÊç w tabeli dowolna 1. living room: sofa, armchair 2. kitchen: cooker, sink 3. bedroom: bed, wardrobe 4. bathroom: shower, washbasin 5. study: desk, bookcase 4 1. bathroom 2. shower 3. bedroom 4. wardrobe 5. kitchen 6. living room 7. sofa /armchair 8. study 9. desk 10. armchair 11. bed 5 tabelka: 1. b 2. c 3. d 4. e 5. a zdania: 1. central heating 2. washing machine 3. wallpaper 4. cupboard 5. dishwasher 6 1. to 2. on 3. on 4. in front of 5. at
MATURA ANSWER KEY 7 Propozycje odpowiedzi A. This room probably belongs to a young person. It’s quite large, with a big window. The furniture looks modern, there is a sofa and small, glass table. B. This room may belong to an old person. It isn’t big, but it’s very cosy. The furniture looks comfortable, there is an armchair, a round table, and a wardrobe. 8 Propozycje odpowiedzi large /big /small /comfortable /cosy wallpaper /posters /photos /pictures /paintings table /bed /sofa /armchair /hi-fi /TV set /computer relaxing /playing /listening to music /reading /talking to friends /having parties 9 1. rent 2. adverts 3. deposit 4. rent 5. bills 6. flatmate
3. SZKO¸A 1 1. b 2. d 3. c 4. a 2 1. college, higher education, degree 2. 5-year-olds, kindergarten, pre-school 3. secondary school, teenagers, GCSEs 4. primary school, elementary, aged 6-11 3 History: dates, kings, past IT class: lab, network, printers Biology: plants, animals, genetics 4 1. homework 2. break 3. composition 4. timetable 5. marks 6. certificate 7. revision 8. coursebook 9. term 10. test 5 1. done 2. take 3. do 4. failed 5. made 6 tabelka: 1. d 2. e 3. b 4. a 5. c
zdania: 1. interested in 2. worried about 3. bored with 4. keen on 5. tired of 7 Propozycje odpowiedzi 1. We have to wear ID badges /change shoes. 2. We don’t have to wear uniforms /change shoes. 3. We mustn’t cheat during a test /forget to do homework. 4. We can wear make-up /enter the IT lab. 8 1. part 2. place 3. organise 4. club 5. drama 6. performance 9 1. course 2. activities 3. lessons 4. online 5. language 6. training 7. driving 8. music
4. PRACA 1 1. a journalist 2. an actress 3. a farmer 4. a hairdresser 5. a mechanic 2 1. c 2. g 3. e 4. f 5. a 6. b 7. h 8. d 3 -er: builder, photographer, waiter -or: director, actor, editor -ist: receptionist, scientist, artist -man: businessman, postman, policeman -ian: politician, historian, musician 4 1. makes, director 2. delivers, postman 3. takes, photographer 4. does, scientist 5. serves, waiter 6. paints, artist 7. renovates, builder 8. belongs, politician 5 A businessman 1. run
MATURA ANSWER KEY 2. travel 3. take 4. sign B secretary /personal assistant 5. answer 6. talk 7. make 8. do C nurse 9. takes 10. gives 11. helps 12. does D musician /guitarist 13. plays 14. give 15. go 16. recorded 6 1. c 2. f 3. e 4. g 5. h 6. a 7. d 8. b 7 1. on 2. at 3. for 4. in 5. for 6. to, on 7. on 8. at 9. in 10. of, for 11. at 12. in 13. on 14. for 15. with 8 1. regular 2. part-time 3. seasonal 4. well-paid 5. dangerous 9 1. lost 2. adverts 3. company 4. apply 5. qualifications 6. experience 7. earns 8. salary 10 1. c 2. d
3. a 4. e 5. b 11 Zadanie otwarte
5. ËšYCIE RODZINNE I TOWARZYSKIE 1 1. D: married, reception 2. E: service, cemetery, buried 3. A: born, hospital 4. B: 6 years old, school 5. C: asked Susan to marry him, ring 2 1b, 2g, 3c, 4a, 5d, 6e, 7f 3 1. uncle 2. wife 3. aunt 4. son 5. cousin 6. nephew 7. grandfather 8. grandmother 9. grandson 10. granddaughter 4 1. neighbours 2. single 3. only 4. couple 5 1. get 2. have 3. leave 4. take 5. spend 6. come /get 7. do 8. wash 9. do 10. have /eat 11. watch 12. see /meet 13. have /take 14. read 15. listen 6 1. h 2. j 3. i 4. d 5. c 6. a 7. b 8. f 9. g 10. e 7 1. happy birthday 2. give me a ring 3. congratulations
MATURA ANSWER KEY 4. take care 5. with pleasure 6. have a nice time 7. good luck 8. give my regards 8 1. celebrate 2. get 3. see 4. have 5. invite
6. ˚YWIENIE 1 Fruit: pear, apple, orange, banana, strawberry, peach Vegetables: cabbage, cucumber, tomato, potato, onion, lettuce, peas Meat and seafood: chicken, tuna, pork, beef, fish, turkey, bacon, ham Sweets: ice cream, chocolate, cake, biscuit Dairy and bakery products: butter, bread, cheese, egg, milk, roll, yoghurt 2 1. breakfast 2. cornflakes 3. piece 4. tea 5. lunch 6. sandwich 7. snack 8. dinner 9. starter 10. soup 11. course 12. meat 13. dessert 14. ice cream 15. supper 3 1. apple juice, pie 2. milkshake 3. bread and butter 4. orange juice, jam 5. scrambled eggs 6. chocolate cake 7. pork chop 8. fish sticks 9. French fries 10. cheeseburger 11. roast chicken 12. tomato soup, juice 13. vegetable salad 14. strawberry jam 15. dry wine 4 Zadanie otwarte 5 1. vegetarian 2. spicy 3. delicious 4. disgusting 6 A. frying pan B. kettle
C. cutlery D. pot 1. cutlery 2. kettle 3. pot 4. frying pan 7 1. peel, chop 2. stir 3. bake 4. add 5. boiling 6. mix 7. fry 8 1. for 2. for 3. in 4. with 9 1. put, going 2. eat 3. go 4. smelled 10 tabelka: 1. c 2. e 3. d 4. b 5. a zdania: 1. school canteen 2. tea shop 3. street café 4. fast food restaurant 5. snack bar 11 1. order 2. table 3. tip 4. main 5. wine 6. change 7. book 8. menu 9. credit
7. ZAKUPY I US¸UGI 1 1. d 2. f 3. a 4. b 5. e 6. c 2 S∏owa do wykreÊlenia: department, fish, market 3 1. trolley 2. shelves
MATURA ANSWER KEY 3. section 4. checkout 5. queue 6. cashier 7. credit card 8. fair 9. goods 10. traders 11. crowded 12. bargain 13. cash 4 1. done 2. spend 3. looking 4. take 5 Grocer’s 1. much 2. have 3. else Clothes shop 4. try 5. size 6. take Bookshop /Bookstore 7. looking 8. recommend 9. wrap Radio/TV shop 10. price 11. receipt 12. change 6 1. photocopied 2. cleaned 3. delivered 4. borrowed 5. done 6. repair 7. developed 8. rented 7 1. advertising 2. leaflets 3. mailing 4. advert 5. commercials 6. persuade 7. banners 8. spam 8 1. return 2. wrong 3. work 4. receipt 5. replace 6. refund
8. PODRÓ˚OWANIE I TURYSTYKA 1 1. train: platform, compartment 2. plane: flight, take off 3. bus: coach, route, motorway, bus stop 4. car: park, motorway 5. ship /boat /ferry: cruise, harbour 6. underground: route 7. taxi: taxi rank 8. bike/bicycle: cyclist, path 2 1. taxi rank 2. platform 3. cruise 4. take off 5. park 6. coach 3 1. school, (the) hotel, work 2. train, bus, ferry, tram, plane 3. train, bus, car, ferry, tram, taxi, plane 4. train, bus, car, ferry, tram, taxi, plane 5. train, bus, ferry, tram, taxi, plane 6. car, taxi 7. bus, car 4 1. miss 2. pack 3. delayed 4. give 5. leaves 6. change 7. flying 8. rode 9. drive 10. land 5 1. b 2. d 3. e 4. g 5. f 6. a 7. c By plane: ticket /tourist information office, plane journey, single /return ticket, left luggage room, waiting room, first /business /economy class By train: ticket /tourist information office, train journey, single /return ticket, left luggage room, waiting room, first class, railway station By car: car journey, petrol station, motorway, highway, expressway By bus /coach: ticket /tourist information office, single /return ticket, left luggage room, waiting room, bus station, motorway, highway, expressway 6 1. trip 2. excursion 3. travel 4. run 7 1. tell 2. way 3. down /along
MATURA ANSWER KEY 4. far 5. turn 6. into 7. across 8. on 9. miss 8 1. accommodation 2. hotel 3. resort 4. guest-house 5. hostel 6. motel 7. tent 8. caravan 9 1. book 2. included 3. service 4. reservation 5. check 6. single 7. desk 8. facilities 10 1. d: travel agent, all we needed, accommodation, meals, flight 2. e: luxury boat 3. c: our own travel arrangements, different holiday homes, country cottages, caravans, tents 4. b: carry all the stuff, hitch-hiked, walked 5. a: trip around London, guide, the most interesting places 11 1. about 2. in 3. for 4. in 5. to /into 6. in 7. for 12 1. d 2. a 3. e 4. b 5. c
9. KULTURA 1 1. painting 2. film 3. sculpture 4. literature 5. music 6. theatre 7. architecture 8. ballet 2 1. guitarist 2. composer 3. director
4. writer 5. singer 6. designer 7. painter 8. actor 3 1. g: designer 2. h: writer 3. f: guitarist 4. c: composer 5. b: director 6. d: actor 7. a: painter 8. e: singer 4 1. biography 2. fairy tale 3. romance 4. documentary 5. comedy 6. horror 7. musical 8. action 9. live concert 10. lyrics 11. album 12. drawing 13. portrait 14. landscape 15. sculpture 5 1. concert hall 2. opera house 3. cinema 4. theatre 5. art gallery 6. museum 6 1. audience 2. subtitles 3. review 4. cast 5. character 6. comedy 7. adaptation 8. stage 7 1. on 2. How, Did 3. Would 4. think 5. How 6. Why 8 tabelka: 1. c 2. d 3. h 4. f 5. g 6. b
MATURA ANSWER KEY 7. a 8. e zdania: 1. annual event 2. fine arts 3. box-office hit 4. firework display 5. folk music 6. modern art 7. cinema-goer 8. best-seller
10. SPORT 1 1. skiing 2. gymnastics 3. boxing 4. cycling 5. table tennis 6. basketball 7. swimming 8. golf 2 Ball games: volleyball, basketball, football Martial arts /sports: judo, karate, kick boxing Winter sports: snowboarding, skiing, ice hockey Watersports: diving, sailing, surfing 3 1. go 2. play 3. do 4 a. hockey player b. runner c. cyclist d. boxer e. tennis player f. swimmer 5 1. football: pitch, two goals, ball 2. tennis: court, racket, ball, net 3. skiing: a slope, pieces of wood or plastic to move on the snow, boots, goggles 4. boxing: ring, gloves, protection, a round 5. ice hockey: rink, goals, skates, puck, sticks 6 1. tracksuit 2. club 3. pool 4. equipment 5. table 6. stadium 7. board 8. gym 9. track 10. helmet 7 1. tournament 2. events 3. competition 4. Cup
5. race 6. Games 8 1. viewers 2. medal 3. centre 4. team 5. activities 9 1. take 2. beat 3. lost 4. win 10 1. to, on 2. with 3. in 4. at, for 5. during /in
11. ZDROWIE 2 1. earache 2. headache 3. toothache 4. stomachache 5. a pain in the chest 6. a pain in the shoulder 3 1. f 2. c 3. e 4. b 5. a 6. d 4 1. hurts 2. have (got) 3. have (got) 4. hurts 5. feel 6. have (got) 7. have (got) 8. feel, have (got) 5 1. matter 2. ill /infected 3. cold 4. right 5. sick 6. take 7. well 8. get 9. feeling 10. weak 11. get 12. wrong 13. pains 14. hot 6 1. burned /burnt
MATURA ANSWER KEY 2. twisted 3. cut 4. hurt 7 1. surgeon 2. X-ray 3. plaster 4. toothache 5. appointment 6. taken 7. hurt 8. shivers 9. vitamins 10. stomachache 11. vomitted 12. diet 13. sunburnt 14. cream 15. dizzy 8 1. from 2. of /from 3. about 4. on 5. to 6. at 7. for 8. in 9. to 10. from /against 9 1. take 2. keep 3. clean 4. see 5. eat 6. get 7. smoke 8. use 9. live 10. spend 10 1. soft 2. addicted 3. used 4. cause 5. give 6. centre 7. illegal
12. NAUKA / TECHNIKA 1 1. economics c. 2. engineering d. 3. archeology e. 4. genetics g. 5. astronomy b. 6. biology h. 7. meteorology a. 8. chemistry f.
2 1. economics: business, marketing, management 2. biology: life, botany, zoology 3. engineering: build, road construction 3 1. discovered 2. invented 3. invented 4. discovered 4 explorer, exploration inventor, invention discoverer, discovery scientist, scientific 1. invention 2. inventor 3. explorer, discover 4. scientist, discoverer 5 1. b 2. e 3. g 4. a 5. f 6. c 7. d 6 1. useful: microwave oven 2. operates: remote control 3. connect: ink /laser printer 4. take: mobile phone 5. store: digital camera 7 Video recorder 1. insert 2. set 3. record TV-set 4. connect 5. plug 6. select Personal Computer 7. download 8. register 9. save
13. Ă‚WIAT PRZYRODY 1 a. lake, ocean (w dowolnej kolejnoĂŠci) b. hills c. beach, island d. oasis e. jungle 2 Zadanie otwarte 3 1. a temperate climate 2. a tropical climate 3. a polar climate 4. a Mediterranean climate 5. an Alpine climate
MATURA ANSWER KEY 4 1. temperate 2. seasons 3. autumn 4. spring 5. hot 6. temperature(s) 7. degrees 8. rains 9. storms 10. wind(s) 11. weather 12. sunny 13. cold /chilly /cool 14. freezing 15. drops 16. snows 5 1. c. snowstorm 2. d. weather forecast 3. e. sunshine 4. a. heavy rain 5. b. thick fog 6 1. wild animals: tiger, rhino, lion, bear, wolf 2. domestic animals: duck, sheep, goat, donkey, hen 3. insects: butterfly, bee, mosquito, ant 4. plants: grass, pine, bush, palm 7 1. endangered 2. area 3. habitat 4. wild 5. hunted 6. getting 8 Zadanie otwarte 9 1. c 2. e 3. d 4. f 5. a 6. b 10 1. burn 2. recycle 3. Fumes 4. pollute 5. heat 6. cause 7. environment 11 1. flood 2. level 3. banks 4. wave 5. destroyed 6. rescue 7. earthquake 8. damage 9. falling
10. drought 11. dry 12. disaster 13. survive 14. eruption 15. lava 16. hurricanes 17. winds 18. common 19. blow 20. drops
14. PA¡STWO I SPO¸ECZE¡STWO 1 1. Brazil, Brazilian, Portuguese 2. the USA, American, English 3. Austria, Austrian, German 4. Japan, Japanese, Japanese 5. Italy, Italian, Italian 6. Ireland, Irish, English 2 1. systems 2. monarchy 3. rule 4. republic 5. parliament 6. members 7. parties 8. election 9. government 10. Prime Minister 3 1. c 2. e 3. f 4. a 5. b 6. d 4 1. foreign 2. social 3. military 4. public 5. international 5 1. c 2. a 3. d 4. e 5. b 6 1. demonstration 2. protest 3. authorities 4. hijacked 5. terrorists 6. hostages 7. war 8. armies 9. peace 10. strike
MATURA ANSWER KEY 11. conditions 12. continue 7 1. broke into /burgled, burglary 2. shoplifter /thief, shoplifting /theft 3. stole, mugger 4. blackmail 5. piracy 8 1. of, to 2. of, for 3. by 4. with 9 1. committed 2. investigate 3. arrest 4. evidence 5. tried 6. defence 7. judge 8. sentence
15. ELEMENTY WIEDZY O KRAJACH ANGIELSKIEGO OBSZARU J¢ZYKOWEGO 1 1. England – London 2. Canada – Ottawa 3. Australia – Canberra 4. Scotland – Edinburgh 5. Wales – Cardiff 6. the USA – Washington (D.C.) 2 Wales 1. lies 2. part 3. population Washington D.C. 4. named 5. federal 6. residence Australia 7. consists 8. colonies 9. independent 3 1. Westminster Abbey 2. Stonehenge 3. The Statue of Liberty 4. The Tower of London 5. Big Ben Pozosta∏e nazwy: Ayers Rock – large, red sandstone rock, a holy place for the Aborigines Hyde Park – one of the largest parks in central London, includes the Speakers’ Corner Broadway – a street in Manhattan, New York City, famous for its theatres The Pentagon – the headquarters of the US Department of Defence in Arlington County, Virginia
Yellowstone – the U.S. National Park in Montana, Idaho and Wyoming, the first and oldest in the world 4 1. b 2. c 3. e 4. a 5. d 5 1. celebrated 2. wanted 3. kill 4. failed 5. make 6. watch 7. carry 8. have 6 1. rachunek – bill (BE), check (AE) 2. metro – subway (AE), underground (BE) 3. parking – car park (BE), parking lot (AE) 4. frytki – french fries (AE), chips (BE) 5. benzyna – gas (AE), petrol (BE) 7 1. C 2. B 3. C 4. A 5. B 6. B 7. C 8. A 9. C 10. B 8 1. A 2. B 3. A 4. A 5. C 6. B 7. C 8. C 9. C 10. B
MATURA SKILLS BUILDER 1. CZ¸OWIEK Rozumienie tekstu czytanego 1. B. w wieku 13 lat dosz∏a do fina∏u, ale przegra∏a; w wieku 14 lat wygra∏a fina∏ z Sandrà Nacuk; w 1999 wygra∏a z Hingis w Australii C. jest bardzo zaj´ta, ale marzy – chcia∏aby byç aktorkà; ma ró˝ne zainteresowania; zbiera lalki D. popularna ze wzgl´du na swój wyglàd i ekstrawaganckie zachowanie; modna; cz´sto wyszukiwana w Internecie E. reklamuje du˝o firm; zarabia du˝o pieni´dzy; jest na ok∏adkach czasopism; hollywoodzki styl ˝ycia
MATURA ANSWER KEY 2. A. was born (…) to a rather poor family; her parents sold their TV to buy her a racquet B. final in the Rolex Orange Bowl tournament; the following year (…) she was better than Sandra Nacuk; won the Australian Open C. likes reading, listening to music, watching TV, dancing, going to parties, swimming, coaching children; interested in ice hockey; has collected dolls D. her good and trendy looks; fashionable E. $ 11 million for advertisements; highest-paid female tennis player; cover girl in magazines; Hollywood-like lifestyle 3. Podpowiedzi 1. zwrot ten oznacza fa∏szywe przekonania / ka˝dy cz∏owiek musi znaleêç cechy w sobie, które sà niepowtarzalne 2. nale˝y prawiç sobie komplementy, byç produktywnym i dobrym dla innych 3. autor wspomina ludzi pasywnych i tych, którzy nimi manipulujà; zach´ca czytelnika, aby wzià∏ ˝ycie w swoje r´ce 4. ten zwrot oznacza ca∏y czas czyli ca∏e ˝ycie Zadanie 1. D – ostatnie zdanie: wszyscy jesteÊmy równi i ale te˝ unikalni – musimy szukaç w sobie tego, co nas wyró˝nia od innych 2. A – kilka zwrotów: make other people’s lives better / being a good person 3. B – ca∏y paragraf zaleca, abyÊmy kontrolowali w∏asne ˝ycie 4. E – ca∏y paragraf zaleca, abyÊmy polubili siebie jako osob´ Rozumienie tekstu s∏uchanego 1. Speaker 1 – ‘arguments with parents’ Speaker 2 – ‘no time to tidy’ Speaker 3 – ‘free to decorate it myself’ Speaker 4 – ‘disorganised by nature’ 2. Speaker 1 – 4 Speaker 2 – 1 Speaker 3 – 5 Speaker 4 – 2 3. Speaker 1 – ... there is not enough time in the day to clean your room; ...so it gets really hard Speaker 2 – ... I won’t tidy my room just because my mum is telling me to do it; ... these people don’t like order too much and hate being told how to do things Speaker 3 – ... It’s quite small so I don’t have much room for my stuff. I wish I had more space for my books and school things. Speaker 4 – ... I’m like most teenagers 4. 1. D 2. E 3. B 4. A Wypowiedê pisemna 1. Odpowiedzi ucznia 2. never – nigdy only occasionally – tylko czasami once in a while – raz na jakiÊ czas from time to time – od czasu do czasu
once a week /month – raz w tygodniu /miesiàcu every week /month – co tydzieƒ /miesiàc I like /love working in a team because ... – Lubi´ /uwielbiam prac´ w grupie, poniewa˝ ... I prefer to work in a team because it’s easier /more enjoyable. – Wol´ pracowaç w grupie, poniewa˝ jest ∏atwiej /jest to przyjemniejsze. I’m friendly /co-operative /agreeable /creative /helpful – Jestem przyjacielski/-a /ch´tny/-a do wspó∏pracy /zgodny/-a /twórczy/-a / pomocny/-a I like co-operating with others /negotiating – Lubi´ wspó∏pracowaç z innymi /negocjowaç. I am very /quite co-operative /creative. Jestem bardzo /ca∏kiem ch´tny /-a do wspó∏pracy /jestem twórczy /-a. I am a good leader /a good listener – Jestem dobrym przywódcà / umiem s∏uchaç. I am good at solving logical questions /finding a compromise – Jestem dobry/-a w rozwiàzywaniu zadaƒ logicznych /osiàganiu kompromisu. I can organise my /other people’s work well – Umiem dobrze organizowaç sobie i innym prac´. 3. Odpowiedzi ucznia 4. 1. Why do you like working in a team? /Why do you like teamwork? 2. What makes you a good teamworker? /What teamwork skills do you have? 3. Why would you like to join our club? 4. What kind of tasks do you like solving the most? 5. Is teamwork effective? 5. 1. Say why you like working in a team. 2. Describe what makes you a good teamworker. 3. Explain why you would like to join our club. 4. Tell us which tasks you like solving the most. 5. Explain why teamwork is effective? 6. Odpowiedê przyk∏adowa: What do you think about the course? /Tell us what you think about the course. What do you think about our leader and his work? Tell us what you think about our group leader. What have you learnt during the course? Say what you have learnt during the course. Would you like to take part in similar courses in the future? Tell us if you would like to take part in similar courses in the future. Wypowiedê ustna Typ zadania maturalnego (1) 1. finally – w koƒcu when – kiedy while – podczas gdy in the meantime – w tym samym czasie then – nast´pnie in the beginning – na poczàtku before – zanim after – po tym jak 2. while /in the beginning /then When /After In the meantime
MATURA ANSWER KEY 3. 1. Positive feelings 2. Negative feelings 3. Story beginnings 4. Weather conditions 4. Odpowiedzi uczniów 6. Student 1 – So what happened? – It was scary. I was coming back from my basketball match. – What scared you so much? – I was walking through a park. It was dark and suddenly I saw a group of hooligans. They saw me too and started running to me. – How did it all end? – Fortunately, I ran away and got home. I was very frightening. Informacje przekazane /czasy przesz∏e poprawnie u˝yte / pe∏ne zdania / jeden b∏àd I was very frightened. Student 2 – So what happened? – It is scary. – What scared you so much? – A group of hooligan – they want to catch me. – Oh, how did it all end? – I run home. Informacje przekazane /niepoprawnie u˝yte czasy Past Simple i Past Continuous / jeden b∏àd w liczbie mnogiej /pe∏ne zdania Pomimo b∏´dów gramatycznych dwie wypowiedzi zosta∏yby zaliczone. 7. Rozmowa przyk∏adowa – So how did you meet? – Well, one day I was chatting on the net and we met on-line. Then we arranged to meet at a café in the centre. – And what is your friend like? – She’s friendly and she has a good sense of humour. She seems very clever too. – And what did you do? – We talked about our hobbies, friends, school and parents. I enjoyed it a lot. We were both happy that we met. Typ zadania maturalnego (2) 1. a. She seems /she looks like /she probably feels /she must be… /she’s wearing… b. She is looking…..oraz inne zdania w Present Continuous. She seems very interested /fascinated by something on the computer. She looks like a 5-year-old child. She’s wearing a T-shirt and a dress. She probably feels very happy because she can play on the computer. She’s looking at the computer and she’s probably playing a computer game. She must be about 5 years old. 2. 1. I think she likes playing on her own because she looks happy and fascinated. Young children like playing on the computer. 2. Przyk∏adowa odpowiedê ucznia I love skiing because I can do it very well. I’m also interested in model-making because it is creative and it helps me relax. 3. Odpowiedê przyk∏adowa 1. In the picture I can see some people and Leonardo di Caprio. The women are trying to get an autograph from him and take a picture.
They look like they really like the star. He must be their idol. I think they look for the information on the Internet or in magazines. They may belong to a fan club too. 2. I really like Bono from U2. He’s a singer and I love his music but he also helps poor people in Africa.
2. DOM Rozumienie tekstu czytanego 1. New trends in architecture, poniewa˝ tekst odnosi si´ do innowacji w architekturze i nowoczesnych trendów. 2. 1. … a new book presents a few of the North American houses … 2. … the authors had trouble finding homes that they wanted to present. 3. 1. … ideal for multigenerational living – dla wielu pokoleƒ 2. Modern architects can really design dream homes in every sense of the word and there isn’t much that cannot be done. – nie ma wielu rzeczy, których nie da∏oby sie zrobiç. 4. Podpowiedzi 1. Few oznacza niewiele, a few oznacza kilka, niektóre. 2. Residential zwiàzane jest z miejscami, w których ludzie mieszkajà. / The authors concentrated on homes not places of work. 3. modern /innovation /future /21 st century 4. different interests /favourite hobbies Zadanie 1. T Most people think about their future homes and their future working environments. = Few people are tired of speculating about. = Niewiele ludzi jest zm´czonym rozmyÊlaniem, czyli wi´kszoÊç myÊli. 2. F The book also includes information about modern offices. = The authors concentrated on homes, not places of work… 3. F The authors of the book wanted to show old houses as well as new ones. = The book has several house plans as well as more than 200 colour photographs of very modern 21st century homes. We wanted our book to be about innovation, …’ 4. T Some houses are built to let people enjoy their hobbies at home. = Other houses show the different interests and activities of their occupants. One of them has an indoor swimming pool, an art gallery, a gym and a dance studio, all of which are the favourite hobbies of the house owners’. 5. 1. F – they come from every corner of the world 2. T – set in a picturesque countryside 3. F – it is considered by some not all 4. F – constructed of sandstone, concrete, steel and glass 5. T – large windows which allow the sun to come in; big rooms 6. F – the house was donated = przekazany za darmo 7. T – it still looks as it did when the family lived there 8. F – zawiera informacje o zwiedzaniu domu i brzmi bardziej jak ulotka lub informacja dla turystów Rozumienie tekstu s∏uchanego 1. 1. Tekst jest o nowej technologii, która pomo˝e ludziom kontrolowaç domy podczas ich nieobecnoÊci. 2. Ton mówiàcego jest pozytywny /podekscytowany. ‘We may never have to worry.....’ Êwiadczy, ˝e jest zadowolony z tego pomys∏u.
MATURA ANSWER KEY 2. / 3. 1. We will soon be able to control our houses when we are not there. True = drugie i trzecie zdanie mówiàcego – we could switch off the light or unlock the door when we leave / we can do it when we are driving for example 2. The new technology has been a product of cooperation among different firms. True = leading electronics and consumer companies have worked together … 3. The project will be tested all over the USA first. False = They are going to test … at 100 homes in the Detroit area … 4. The aim of the tests is to learn if the system works. False = The most important aim of the tests is ... which of the many features that we could offer are interesting to the public. 4. Podpowiedzi 1. np. some /a few /not too many 2. ‘happy’ – wi´kszoÊci podoba si´ ten projekt 3. nie jest u˝yty, aby ci´ zmyliç – pojawia si´ w nagraniu w tym samym kontekÊcie 4. ‘the only’ oznacza jedyny; inne sposoby zastosowania sà podane, np. zdalne wy∏àczanie Êwiate∏ 5. ton g∏osu jest bardzo pozytywny, zgadza si´ ˝e nasze ˝ycie zmieni si´ na lepsze i mówi, ˝e sukces jest gwarantowany Zadanie 1. T – ‘for a few months’ 2. T – ‘but majority, I believe are quite happy.’ 3. F – ‘… the system would contact you … and you could unlock the front door remotely and let your visitor in.’ 4. F – ‘One of the potential uses ... ’ 5. T – bardzo pozytywny ton wypowiedzi /’success is guaranteed’. 5. 1. T – office, home, any place 2. F – a top secret discipline / these masters didn’t share their knowledge with anyone 3. F – characteristics must be taken individually 4. F – is not connected to any religion as some people think 5. T – its main aim is to make your place as positive as possible 6. T – changes mustn’t be too quick and should be introduced one by one 7. T – make sure you have lots of colours / they stimulate your brain and make you think better 8. F – pets are great companions and this produces positive energy 6. innovation – innowacja; nowoÊç technologies – technologie comfort – wygoda dialogue – dialog, rozmowa success – sukces guaranteed – zagwarantowany unique – niepowtarzalny, wyjàtkowy Wypowiedê pisemna 1. Pierwszy e-mail o wiele bardziej nieformalny ni˝ drugi 2. 1. Zwroty potoczne a. Hi b. How are things? Hope you and your family are OK. c. I’m fine too. /It’s nice here. /I love it here. Everything is kind of new and I’m pretty excited. Cool! /Just a bit too far to school now! d. When you’re in Poland next time, come to see us. e. Bye for now 2. Zwroty bardziej formalne
a. Dear Mr Thomson b. I hope you and your family are fine. c. It was not very easy and I think we were all a bit upset but now we are really happy here. It is noisier here but it’s quite close to a park so I can still take my dog for a walk. d. If you ever come back to Poland, you are more than welcome to stay with us. e. Best wishes 3. Smutek – I’m really sad /sorry to hear / that … I’m really unhappy about … Zrozumienie czyjejÊ sytuacji – I understand how this makes you feel Wdzi´cznoÊç – I’m truly grateful for / Many thanks /Thanks a lot RadoÊç – I’m so happy to hear that … Zak∏opotanie – I feel quite embarrassed about … Z∏oÊç – I’m a bit cross with … /about … Obawa – I’m afraid that … Zmartwienie – I’m worried about .. /that … Rozczarowanie – I’m quite disappointed with … 4. E-mail 1: RadoÊç – It’s nice here.; I love it here. E-mail 2: Zmartwienie – We ware all a bit upset. RadoÊç – We are really happy here. 5. Przyk∏adowa odpowiedê Hi Tom, How are you? I’ve just come to England. I’m staying with an English family but I’m sharing the room with another boy from France. He’s OK but the room isn’t. It’s small and there’s isn’t enough space for our things. Please help me find a different place. Many thanks in advance See you soon XYZ Wypowiedê ustna Typ zadania maturalnego (1) 1. 1. I would like to know if it is close to any public facilities. 2. Tell me please how much the rent is. 3. I was wondering if the rent includes all the bills. 4. Can you tell me if it is fully furnished? 5. I would like to know when I can move into the flat. 2. 1 E, 2 D, 3 C, 4 A, 5 B 3. – Is the flat still available? – Yes, it is – How much are the rent and monthly bills, please? – It is about £ 300 a month. – Is it fully furnished? – Just the kitchen. – OK. Thank you. I’ll think about it. 4. Odpowiedzi przyk∏adowe 1. You should speak to them and tell them not to play the music so loud. 2. Why don’t you look for a new flat? 3. If I were you, I’d call a repairman. 4. You should look through flat adverts in today’s newspaper.
MATURA ANSWER KEY 5. – Hi, how are things with your flat? – So, so – I haven’t found anywhere yet. – What are you looking for? – Just a bedsit or a small flat. – Why don’t you contact this estate agent’s in the centre. They are really good. – Oh, OK. Thanks it’s a good idea. – I can help you move in if you want. – Sure, thanks. Typ zadania maturalnego (2) 1. Przyk∏adowe zdania There is a guitar next to the headphones. There is a window behind the boy. There is a TV set in front of the boy. There are some posters above the boy’s desk. 2. The picture shows /presents … There are … The room looks /seems … We can also see …
3. SZKO¸A Rozumienie tekstu czytanego 1. 1. b – her odnosi si´ do p∏ci ˝eƒskiej 2. a – it odnosi si´ do jednego przedmiotu, a mowa jest o dwóch 3. b – wyra˝a negatywne uczucia 4. a – wyra˝a podsumowanie 5. a – them nie odnosi si´ do szko∏y 6. b – oznacza, ˝e prawie nigdy nie zachowywa∏ si´ êle 7. b – potwierdza, ˝e nie lubi j´zyka angielskiego 2. modern technology rows of old-fashioned desks use swipe cards at one school 3. 1. C 2. F 3. A 4. E 5. B Podpowiedê S∏owo zosta∏o utworzone od przymiotnika surprising i ca∏y zwrot oznacza tak wi´c nikogo to nie dziwi. Rozumienie tekstu s∏uchanego 1. in the thirteenth century in the fourteenth century in the twenty-first century in March two thousand in January nineteen seventy-one in the spring of two thousand and one at the turn of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries at the end of the last century at the beginning of the sixteenth century
3. 1 h , 2 g, 3 a, 4 e, 5 d, 6 c, 7 b, 8 j, 9 f, 10 i, 11 k 4. a. soon afterwards, after, next, over the next years b. 356 BC – he was born 336 BC – his father died 332 BC – he moved to Egypt and became a pharaoh 323 BC – he died 5. 1. Persia attacked Greece. f. 2. He became king. c. 3. He attacked Persia. e. 4. He became pharaoh. g. 5. He built Alexandria. a. 6. He created a big learning centre. b. 7. He became ill. d. 6. 2. was born in Macedonia in 356 BC, in 336 BC became king, his first war was against Persia as a revenge, attacked other countries, in 332 BC moved to Egypt where he became a pharaoh 3. he was a king, commander, politician, scholar and explorer, founded 70 cities and created an empire 4. died at the age of 32 in 323 BC, his empire was destroyed, still is important and inspires 8. these days = nowadays finally = in the end a few days ago = the other day until that = before that in the meantime = at the same time 9. / 10. 1. B (‘As you walk in you might see kids playing card games or computer games or even students sleeping on the school sofas ... a kind of behaviour you don’t see in standard schools.’) 2. E (‘This is a school with no rules, no compulsory classes, no parentteacher meetings.’) 3. C (‘ ... get more personal attention ...’) 4. D (In our school they do much better we think because they are in charge of their learning and choose what they want to study.’) 5. A (‘They work much more together on different projects .... co-operation ...’) Wypowiedê pisemna 1. opinia: beloved, useful rozmiar: huge wiek: modern, latest kszta∏t: square kolor: brown, black pochodzenie: foreign materia∏: plastic, glass 2. Przyk∏adowe odpowiedzi a. I’m looking for a second-hand copy of ForMat Pre-Intermediate. I would also like to buy a workbook with it. b. I would like to sell an English-Polish dictionary. It’s pocket-sized and brand new. c. I’ve lost my jumper! It was my favourite one. It is orange and woolly and has an Adidas logo on it. d. My friend’s dog has run away. It’s a small white poodle. His name is Vick and he is sick. Please help find him!
MATURA ANSWER KEY e. I’m looking for a cheap second-hand CD ROM for learning English. It should have a dictionary too. 3. okolicznoÊci: Yesterday while I was waiting for my bus, I found a school bag. wyglàd: It is a quite big, new-looking black leather bag. zawartoÊç: Inside there are some coursebooks, a pencil case and a pocket-size English-French dictionary but there is no ID. Jak mo˝na si´ skontaktowaç: If you think it is yours, you can ring me on 00456738239 or go to room 234 after 5 p.m. TREÂå
0 -0 1
0 -0 1
0 -0 1
0 -0 1
UZYSKANA LICZBA PUNKTÓW
0 -0 1
4. Przyk∏adowa odpowiedê Attention everybody! I lost my English-Polish phrasebook. I think I left it on the bus before we went sightseeing. It was a pocket-size book with a picture of London on the front. It was a present from my best friend and it has a dedication from her. Please ring me on 0048500499839 if you took it or found it. XYZ Wypowiedê ustna Typ zadania maturalnego (1) 1. Proponowanie: a. Let’s sign up on a French course. b. Would you like to go to an arts festival after school? c. Why don’t we study together for the exams? d. Shall we watch this film in the original? Przyjmowanie /odrzucanie propozycji a. I’m sorry but I’m busy. b. I’d love to. c. Thanks a lot but I’ll manage on my own. d. OK, it sounds good. Zach´cenie /argumentowanie a. We could go to a British culture festival. All my friends say it’s wonderful. b. Why don’t you change your language school? You’ll learn more in our school – we have fantastic teachers. c. You should try out this multi-media dictionary – you’ll love it! d. Let’s organise an English language competition. It’ll be fun and it will help us learn more English! 2. Przyk∏adowa odpowiedê – Shall we go to the educational fair after school? – No, not really. – Why not? It’s for young people. – Well, I’m not really keen on these kinds of festivals. – Why don’t you come and see for yourself? It’ll be fun and you’ll find out about different companies looking for young people to work for them. You can also buy interesting books and CD ROMs on sale. Come on – everybody says it’s very good. – OK then, let’s do that. – Brilliant. See you at 4 outside the school gate.
4. Przyk∏adowa odpowiedê – Why do you want to change the school? – I think it isn’t a good school and I’m not learning much. Let’s go to The School of English next door.
– I’m afraid I disagree. I like this school and my teacher. Perhaps you could change the group if it is too easy for you. Let’s stay until the end of the school year and then see – OK? – All right then. Typ zadania maturalnego (2) 1. I can see a modern classroom. It is really well-equipped as it has many computers. The photograph shows a lesson. There are some children who are probably looking for some information on their computers. In the background I can also see some posters and children’s work. 2. 1. Do you like school? Not really. I’m not a good student. I find it hard to study some subjects. I have other interests – I love sports for example and I want to be a footballer. 2. What makes exams so stressful? Well, exam questions are difficult. If you fail, you have problems with your parents and teachers. You never have enough time to finish things in time. 3. mo˝na dodaç: work with the computers /work in groups /work on your own /learn from TV 4. 1. I think the students like this lesson because they are working with the computers. They look concentrated so the materials are probably interesting. They can also work on their own – I like that too. 5. School will probably change. It is certain that people will use more technology in the classrooms like computers and multimedia projectors. It’s hard to say but maybe one day we will only study from home. 6. Odpowiedzi ucznia
4. PRACA Rozumienie tekstu czytanego 1. Tytu∏ 2. podsumowuje te dwa teksty. Teksty dotyczà zawodów / profesji, które stanà si´ popularne w przysz∏oÊci: praca w domu i internetowe zamawianie posi∏ków. 2. A. People will want to stay inside the safety, security and comfort of their homes … B. With most mothers working full-time jobs (...) who has time to prepare quality meals for the family? C. …mass media’s continued effort to frighten the public by showing a constant image of danger. D. What we need is an Amazon.com for meals on demand. 3. Podpowiedzi 1. Paragraf C – zwrot ‘it isn’t the end for Scottish high tech industry … 2. Paragraf A dotyczy historii i podaje daty. 3. Paragraf C ‘Scottish companies must become creative…..’ 4. Paragraf B ‘competition’ /… computer companies have had trouble selling more expensive equipment. 5. Paragraf A ‘for many years these companies have been the best at new developments …’ 6. Paragraf A ‘…the British government was offering them money…’ i B ‘… the workforces are highly skilled and cheaper.’ Zadanie 1. C
MATURA ANSWER KEY 2. A 3. C 4. B 5. A 6. A /B 4. 1. D – ‘The competition for jobs is big …’ 2. C – ‘…it’s a whole way of life.’ 3. B / C ‘There are no formal requirements when you apply.’ / there are no formal entry requirements …’ 4. A – ‘... if you are creative… / if you sound confident …’ 5. D – ‘As a shark keeper you would help to educate the general public …’ 6.B – ‘… you will need skills in observation and (...) interaction.’ Rozumienie tekstu s∏uchanego 1. /2. A. vet – ‘emergency operations, scientific conferences, treat small animals, nice surgery’ B. zoo keeper – ‘feed them, clean their cages, make sure they are healthy, locked up’ C. safari ranger – ‘animals walking freely on the savannah’, ‘loud tourists, hunters come out’ 3. Podpowiedzi 1. team, everybody else, praise the players (chwaliç zawodników) 2. run classes – prowadziç zaj´cia 2. ‘coach’ oznacza trenera, ale jest to wypowiedê pi∏karza czyli sportowca Zadanie Speaker 1 C Speaker 2 B Speaker 3 A 4. 1 C, 2 D, 3 B Wypowiedê pisemna 1. • I am writing to apply for the job /post advertised in ... – Pisz´, aby ubiegaç si´ o prac´, z og∏oszenia, które si´ ukaza∏o… • I am currently employed as a … at … – Obecnie jestem zatrudniony/-a jako … w … • I have experience of… – Posiadam doÊwiadczenie jako… For the past three years I have been working as … – Przez ostatnie trzy lata pracowa∏em/-am jako ... • I am very hard-working /confident /cooperative /… which makes me an ideal candidate for this job … – Jestem pracowity/-a, mam wiar´ w siebie, jestem kooperatywny/-a … co sprawia, ˝e jestem idealnym kandydatem na to stanowisko. • I enclose a copy of my CV and my references. – Za∏àczam mój ˝yciorys i rekomendacje od poprzednich pracodawców. 2. List przyk∏adowy Dear Sir /Madam I am writing with regard to your job advertisement which appeared in yesterday’s ‘Rzeczpospolita’. I am a high school student and currently I am employed as an office assistant in a large company. I have experience of working in an office and secretarial duties. For the past year I have been involved in many successful computer projects which made my computer skills excellent.
I am very hard-working and cooperative, which makes me an ideal candidate for this job. I am available for an interview at any time convenient for you. I look forward to hearing from you. Yours faithfully XYZ 3. Dear Sir /Madam I’m writing with regard to the advertisement about a scholarship to Scotland which appeared in ‘Gazeta Krakowska’ yesterday. I am a high school student and currently I am preparing for my end of school exams. I am planning to take English as one of my subjects because I can speak English and write in English quite well. I would like to go to Scotland because I am interested in the history and culture of this country. I have read many books about Scotland and I won the second place in a school competition about Scotland. I am very hard-working and I like studying and reading books. Additionally, I am good at working in a team and a project work. I look forward to hearing from you. Yours faithfully XYZ Wypowiedê ustna Typ zadania maturalnego (1) 1. Przyk∏adowe odpowiedzi 2. I am interested in rap music and computer games. 3. I live in Wroc∏aw. 4. I attend Liceum Profilowane Nr 5 5. I would like to study information technology and then work as a webmaster. 6. I am creative and patient. I like working in a team. 7. I am tall. I have blond hair and blue eyes. 8. In my free time I go swimming or I listen to music. 9. There is some unemployment where I live but the situation is getting better. 10. My friends would like to be managers, sportsmen / women, car mechanics and shop owners. 2. 2. What are you interested in? 3. Where do you live? 4. What school do you go to? 5. What would you like to study? Where would you like to work? 6. What features of your character would help you do the job of your dreams? 7. What do you look like? 8. How do you spend your free time? 9. Do people have work where you live? 10. What jobs are popular among/with your friends? 3. 1. Can I speak to Mr Richards, please? A 2. Hello, is that Mrs Archer? A 3. Hello, is this a modeling agency? A 4. Good morning. This is the English Language Centre. How can I help you? B 5. Yes. How can I help you? B 6. No problem. Thank you for calling. Goodbye. B 7. I’m afraid he is busy now. Can I take a message for him? B 8. I’m enquiring about English lessons for intermediate students. A 9. Yes, speaking. B
MATURA ANSWER KEY 4. a. – Hello, Can I speak to Mr Thomson, please? – I’m afraid he’s gone out. – Can I leave a message then, please? – Of course. – Could you tell him I rang. My name is Ola Kowalska. – Certainly. – Thank you. Bye. – Goodbye. b.– Hello, is this the Training Centre? – Yes, how can I help you? – I would like to know if there are any places left on the assertiveness course. – I’m afraid there aren’t. Sorry. – That’s OK. I’ll try some other time. 5. Przyk∏adowa odpowiedê – Hello, is this the London Work Agency? – Yes, how can I help? – My name is Ela Zalewska and I’m from Poland. I would like to find out more about the job you advertised. – OK, what would you like to know? – What qualifications or experience should I have? – You must be over 18 and you must speak some English. It’s an au pair job. – OK, what about my accommodation and pay? – You’ll be living with an English family and it’s 100 pounds a week. Are you interested? – Let me think. I’ll let you know soon. Thank you. – Thank you. Bye. 6. Przyk∏adowa odpowiedê – Hello, This is the London School of English. How can I help you? – Hello, I’d like to enrol on the course’How to cope with stress at work’ – OK, could you tell me your name and your phone number? – My name’s Robert Stanic and my phone number is 897665430. – What is your level of English? We have groups at different levels. – I’m intermediate, I think. – OK, you’ll have classes with Mr Harrison on Mondays and Wednesdays at 7 p.m. – Thank you for all your help. Typ zadania maturalnego (2) 1. Odpowiedzi uczniów 2. 1. She has a fantastic imagination. 2. Their determination is amazing. 3. Her creativity helps her in her work a lot. 4. His friendliness is what students like about him. 5. Patience is really important in this profession. 3. Odpowiedzi uczniów 4. This photograph shows a situation in a hospital. I can see a doctor and a patient. The doctor is talking to the patient – perhaps she’s explaining something to her patient. The doctor looks very friendly. In this profession I think you must be patient and kind to people. 5. 1. as 2. become
3. interested 4. dream 5. profession 6. be 6. Przyk∏adowe wypowiedzi I think she likes her job. She doesn’t look unhappy or stressed. She’s smiling as well so in my opinion she likes her patients. I don’t think so. I wouldn’t be a good doctor because I’m not patient enough. I don’t like biology either so I couldn’t study it.
5. ˚YCIE RODZINNE I TOWARZYSKIE Rozumienie tekstu czytanego 1. d. odpowiedê poprawna: ‘The worst is when they have to divide their time between their parents’ homes in two different towns ...’ 2. a. odpowiedê poprawna: ‘...young people don’t have much power over what is going on ...’ 2. Przyk∏adowe odpowiedzi 1. a. F – ‘you will always have painful memories’ b. F – ‘…..you can have a happy life.’ c. F – ‘One day you can even (…) establish a good relationship with your divorced parents’ d. odpowiedê prawid∏owa – you will have a normal life 2. a. F – ‘The other good news is (…) many people have had the same problem.’ b. F – fakt ten nie jest wspomniany w tekÊcie c. odpowiedê prawid∏owa – that your parents ask you to choose one of them d. F – fakt ten jest wspomniany, ale nie jako najtrudniejszy do prze˝ycia 3. 1 c – ‘… mainly to help reduce the stress of their daily lives.’ 2 d – ‘Games, the most ancient pastime ...’ 3 b -‘… most importantly, take photos as often as possible.’ 4 a – ‘… most people ... are just happy to have a relaxing activity that they can do in their free time.’ Rozumienie tekstu s∏uchanego 1. /2. 1. enjoyment – ‘Games are mainly for fun...’ 2. suitable for many different people –‘ In fact, there’s a card game for every age and situation. Older brothers can play with younger sisters; parents can play with children; children can play with grandparents. Ways of playing card games are passed down from generation to generation. 3. you can spend time together with your children – ‘ The best thing about it is, however, the fact that you can have fun with the kids. They will love the fact that you can act silly like them.’ 4. making your family relationships stronger –‘ Playing sports as a family is not only fun, it is a healthy way to enjoy the company of those you love and to make your family relationships better.’ 3. 1. c … someone feels 2. b… learn 3. d… reacts
MATURA ANSWER KEY 4. 1. a. nie jest wspomniane, ˝e musi to byç bliski zwiàzek b. nie chodzi o zrozumienie s∏ów tylko uczuç d. fakt ten nie jest wspomniany 2. a. fakt ten nie jest wspomniany c. jest powiedziane, ˝e nie jest to tak trudne, jak niektórzy ludzie myÊlà d. fakt ten nie jest wspomniany 3. a. taki rodzaj s∏uchania zach´ca do mówienia, co nie znaczy, ˝e ty masz ciàgle s∏uchaç b. taki rodzaj s∏uchania mo˝e pomóc rozwiàzywaç problemy w przysz∏oÊci c. powiedziane jest, ˝e nie nale˝y krytykowaç 5. Podpowiedzi 1. DoroÊli mogà wydawaç pieniàdze na co chcà, co nie znaczy, ˝e majà du˝o pieni´dzy. Osoba mówiàca uwa˝a, ˝e ich problemy sà powa˝niejsze ni˝ te doros∏ych. 2. ‘Why are we treated like little kids?’ 3. Jest troch´ podchytliwa, poniewa˝ osoba mówiàca stwierdza, ˝e m∏odzie˝ nie musi pracowaç, co nie oznacza, ˝e nie chce. 4. M∏odzie˝ mo˝e decydowaç o swoim stylu bycia, przyjacio∏ach, o tym, czy piç alkohol i braç narkotyki. Zadanie 1. c – ‘…no one tells them what to do’ 2. a – ‘why are we treated like little kids?’ 3. c – ‘But in fact we think the situation is OK – it’s better than living alone without anyone to ask for help or advice.’ 4. b – The last paragraph says that young people decide about their lives and lifestyles. Wypowiedê pisemna 2. 1. d 2. b 3. c 4. a 3. 1. • Thanks a lot for your letter. • I’m really happy to hear from you again… • I’m sorry I haven’t written for such a long time • I’ve been very busy preparing for my school-leaving exams. • On top of that, you must know, I have taken up photography as my new hobby and • …whenever I’ve got a little time off, I go out and take snaps of whatever interesting I can see. • What are you doing in the summer? • It would be lovely if you could come to Poland to see me again. 2. Dear Mark /Take care /Say hello to your brother for me. 3. a. I’m really happy to hear … b. I’ve been very busy… c. Whenever I’ve got a little time off… d. I’m crazy about… e. I absolutely love it! 4. Dear Mark Thanks a lot for your letter. I got it two days ago and it was a great surprise. I’m really happy to hear from you again. I’m sorry I haven’t written for such a long time, but I’ve been very busy preparing for my school-leaving exams. On top of that, I have taken up
photography as my new hobby and whenever I’ve got a little time off, I go out and take snaps of whatever interesting I can see. I absolutely love it. I can send you some of my pictures if you want? By the way, what are you doing in the summer? It would be lovely if you could come to Poland to see me again. We could take some pictures together? Take care Say hello to your brother for me. XYZ 5. • Thanks a lot for your letter – Dzi´ki za list. • I’ve been very busy at school – By∏em/-am bardzo zapracowany/-a w szkole. • I’ve been ill for quite a long time – By∏em/-am chory/-a przez d∏ugi czas. • I’m OK. /fine. – Mam si´ dobrze. • How are you? – Jak si´ masz? • I hope you’re OK. – Mam nadziej´, ˝e miewasz si´ dobrze. • I was really happy to get your letter. – By∏o mi bardzo mi∏o otrzymaç • list od Ciebie. • I’ll be really happy if you could come. – B´dzie mi bardzo mi∏o, je˝eli przyjedziesz. • Bye for now. – Na razie. 6. 1. Thanks for the letter. I’m happy to hear you’re fine. 2. I’m sorry I haven’t written for such a long time. I’ve been ill. 3. Guess what! I’ve won a trip to London and I’m going next week. 4. I’m sorry to hear you’ve got problems at school. Could I help somehow? 7. Wypowiedê przyk∏adowa Dear Vicky How are you? I haven’t heard from you for such a long time. I hope you’re fine. How’s school and things? My news is great! I have a new boyfriend. His name’s Pawe∏ and he’s 19. We met at a friend’s party about two months ago. He just asked me to dance. We get on really well and spend lots of time together. We play tennis, go swimming and talk about football and fashion! We have so much in common. It’ll be nice if you could come to stay with us again. Do you think you’ll have some free time in the summer? Say hello to Rob (if he’s still your boyfriend) Bye for now Take care XYZ Wypowiedê ustna Typ zadania maturalnego (1) 2. 1. Starting a conversation: Can I have a word…? Could we talk? I think we have a bit of a problem. 2. Proposing: Why don’t we…..? I think we should….. I suggest we….. 3. Disagreeing: I don’t think this is such a good idea. I don’t quite agree with you. I’m afraid I disagree. 4. Agreeing: I suppose that’s fine. That’s OK. 5. Asking for sympathy: You must understand. Please put yourself in my situation.
MATURA ANSWER KEY 6. Asking for clarification: What’s the problem? What’s the matter? What’s up? 3. 1. word 2. matter /problem 3. afraid 4. idea 5. put 6. should 7. don’t 8. a good idea 4. – Can I have a word with you, please Liz? – Sure, what’s up? – Liz, you borrow my clothes without asking and I don’t think this is such a good idea. – Why not? I always put them back. – Yes but you shouldn’t do this. It isn’t nice when I can’t find my clothes. – Oh, sorry. – Why don’t we go shopping? We can try to find something nice for you – OK? – OK, thanks. Lub – Could I have a word with you please? – Yes, what’s up? – I’m afraid I don’t like when you borrow my things without asking. – But I always put them back and I’ve never damaged anything! – Well, yes. But you must understand that it isn’t nice if you cannot find something you need or the clothes look dirty. Would you like me to take your things without asking? – Not really, but I like your school things and your T-shirts. Could I borrow them sometimes? – I don’t think so. I know what! Why don’t we go shopping and I’ll buy you something similar? Is that OK? – I suppose so. Typ zadania maturalnego (2) 1. This picture shows a family. I think they are parents and children. They’re probably at home and they are playing a board game. They look like they’re having fun. They look interested and happy. 2. Odpowiedzi ucznia 3. Przyk∏adowe odpowiedzi 1. No, not really. I’m 18 and I prefer to spend my free time with my friends. 2. I really get on well with my brother. He’s 17. We play football together and go out every weekend. 4. 1. interested 2. keen 3. about 4. out 5. like 5. 1. I’m really interested in photography because it’s a creative hobby. I take good and interesting photos. 2. I’m quite keen on sports because it keeps me fit and I feel great I’m so sporty. 3. I’m absolutely crazy about snowboarding because I love winter sports and going to the mountains.
4. I enjoy going out with my friends because we always have fun and meet new friends. 5. I don’t like going to parties because I can’t dance and I’m shy.
6. ˚YWIENIE Rozumienie tekstu czytanego 1. 2, 5, 6, 7 2. 1. British super-chef Jamie Oliver. /… the popular chef … 2. … he goes back to school to serve healthy home-made food. 3. He says that a diet of burgers, chips, and pizza served in schools will make children die before their parents. 4. posi∏ki majà niskà zawartoÊç witamin – ... low in fibre and vitamins 5. ‘a lot’ nie oznacza ‘wszyscy’ – ‘… a lot of British kids are too fat.’ 6. Jamie’s ‘Feed Me Better’ petition gave the British government food for thought in March 2005. Prime Minister Tony Blair agreed to invest £ 275 million in school kitchens, over the next three years. 7. ‘So, British kids say good-bye to junk food as this will, certainly, disappear from your school menus.’ 3. 1. T – ‘… have better concentration …’ 2. No info 3. F – ‘… but some types have too high levels of salt and sugar, so choose wisely’ 4. F – ‘... you may add ...’– mo˝na, ale nie trzeba 5. No info 6. No info 7. T – ‘They are fantastic for breakfast when you are in a hurry …’ 8. T – ‘… they’re really perfect for your brainpower.’ Rozumienie tekstu s∏uchanego 1. Tekst 1. a. F b. T c. No info Tekst 2. a. F b. No info c. T Tekst 3. a. T b. No info c. F 2. a. I’m not that keen on puddings and cakes. b. I put on weight. c. I often invite friends round for a meal. 3. a. I eat whatever there is to eat. b. I haven’t been to one of these fast food places for ages. c. Where I live I can’t buy all the products I need to make my dishes 4. Podpowiedzi 1. unclear oznacza niejasne 2. wiemy, ˝e jad∏ ma∏e porcje, ale nie wiemy co dok∏adnie 3. nie mamy tej informacji podanej dok∏adnie, tak wi´c uznajemy jà za brak informacji (No Info)
MATURA ANSWER KEY 4. ser i szynka (cheese and ham) 5. informacja, ˝e nazwa pochodzi od ma∏ego talerzyka, którym przykrywano kieliszki z winem 6. tapas to przekàski, ale mogà byç serwowane jako g∏ówne dania 7. bary z tapas sà na ca∏ym Êwiecie –‘across the world’ Zadanie 1. F – the origin is unclear. 2. No info 3. No info 4. F – … it was common to serve wine with a slice of bread with ham or cheese 5. F – The name of the dish comes from a type of small plate used to cover glasses of wine 6. T – … others may become your main meal.’ 7. T – there are thousands of tapas bars across the world where people enjoy eating healthy food, drinking nice wine and chatting to each other. Wypowiedê pisemna 1. 1.a. F b. I 2.a. I b. F 3.a. F b. I 4.a. I b. F 5.a. I b. F 6.a. I b. F 7.a. I b. F 2. The Polish students would like to invite everyone to the Polish cooking evening. It is on Saturday at 7 p.m. in our school bar. We are going to make three traditional Polish dishes: bigos, pierogi and makowiec. Come and see for yourself how good they taste. We’re going to play modern Polish music and show a short film about Poland. We hope you can come. See you there! 3. Odpowiedzi przyk∏adowe 1. Informal: Come to my fab birthday dinner party! Formal: I would like to invite you to my birthday dinner party. 2. Informal: Give me a ring to say if you’re coming. Formal: Could you let me know if you are planning to come. 3. Informal: We’re going to have lots of fun dancing and chatting. Formal: I am planning to play some dance music and serve some cold snacks. 4. Informal: Really hope to see you there! Formal: I would be delighted if you could come. 4. My parents and I would like to invite you to the opening of our new restaurant. It will be a dinner party. My parents’ friends and some of my classmates will come too. It will take place at the restaurant ul. Brzozowa 45 on Friday 13th and it will start at 8 p.m.
We are planning to organise a barbecue and a fireworks display. We look forward to seeing you there. XYZ 5. TREÂå
0 -0 1
0 -0 1
0 -0 1
0 -0 1
UZYSKANA LICZBA PUNKTÓW
0 -0 1
Wypowiedê ustna Typ zadanie maturalnego (2) 1. – You’ll never believe what happened to me once. – No idea. Come on - tell me. – I was hungry. – What did you make? – Well, I looked in the fridge and there were two eggs and some milk. I found some flour. I decided to make some pancakes. – And how did it go? – Not too well. It was horrible. Uczeƒ nie powiedzia∏ dlaczego jedzenie by∏o niesmaczne. 2. a. Informacja 1.: I was so hungry. I only had breakfast that day. I came home but my mum was still at work so there was no food. b. Informacja 3.: … I burnt the pancakes and put salt on them, not sugar … 3. 1. a. so we made some sandwiches. b. because we hadn’t eaten all day. 2. a. so we went shopping. b. because I forgot to do the shopping. 3. a. so I was very hungry. b. because I was very busy. 4. a. so I didn’t know what to do. b. because my mum always cooked for me. 4. Przyk∏adowa odpowiedê – So what happened to you? – We, well me and two of my friends were preparing some food for our party. – Well, how did it go? – Not well. We burnt some things and the food wasn’t tasty. – So what did you do next? – We just ordered some pizzas! Typ zadania maturalnego (2) 1. In the picture I can see two young children who are eating junk food. This place looks like a fast food restaurant, something like Macdonald’s. I think that they like their food – they are having chips with ketchup but in my opinion this isn’t good for them. 2. 1. Well, it is difficult to say. In my opinion, young people often eat like that – it’s quick, not so expensive. 2. Well, I try. Every day we eat different things – my mum cooks well. We don’t go out to eat. I don’t eat many sweets, crisps and fatty foods but I eat lots of vegetables and fruit.
MATURA ANSWER KEY 7. ZAKUPY I US¸UGI
Rozumienie tekstu czytanego
1. 1. TAK 2. NIE 3. TAK 4. TAK 5. NIE 6. TAK 7. NIE – nale˝y zawsze zachowaç grzeczny ton 8. TAK 2. 1g 2e 3a 4f 5b 6c 7d 3. 1. holiday 2. meal 3. language school 4. electronic equipment 5. clothes 4. Przyk∏adowe odpowiedzi 1. I am writing to complain about an MP3 player which I bought in one of your shops in Oxford. 2. I was very dissatisfied with your service. The waiter was very impolite and he shouted at me. 3. I demand a full refund and I hope you will give this matter your immediate attention. 4. I was very dissatisfied with your computer course. The teacher was poorly prepared and there were not enough computers. 5. The new CD player I bought in your shop plays music too slowly and I must assure you it is not my fault. 5. Przyk∏adowy list Dear Sir / Madam My name is Zofia Olechowska. I have just come back from England where I attended your language course. I am writing to complain about my English lessons at the preintermediate level. The course was organised in your school in Cambridge. The teacher was never prepared and the lessons were not interesting. We did not speak at all and I did not make much progress. What was worse, we did not go on any of the trips you promised in the brochure. I tried to speak to my teacher but he was not very helpful and told me not to complain. Therefore, I demand a full refund. It was a disappointing experience and I did not learn anything. I hope you will give this matter your immediate attention. I look forward to hearing from you. Yours faithfully XYZ 6. Przyk∏adowy list Dear Sir / Madam I am writing to complain about a CD player I bought in your shop. I know I bought it at a discount but I did not expect it to break so soon.
2. 2. H 3. E 4. B 5. C 6. G 7. F 8. D Zdanie 2. – Zdanie 3.: products – energy boosting products Zdanie 3. – Zdanie 4.: not the only fashionable thing at the moment – another trend of the modern age Zdanie 4. – Zdanie 5.: appearance – what I look like Zdanie 5. – Zdanie 6.: look like – even children (jako przyk∏ad) /they look Zdanie 6. – Zdanie 7.: they look – what’s more (kolejny przyk∏ad) older people are becoming mad … Zdanie 7. – Zdanie 8.: what’s more – finally 3. 1. C 2. B 3. E 4. A 5. F 6. D Rozumienie tekstu s∏uchanego 1. 1. V 2. – 3. V 4. – 5. V 6. – 7. – 2. 1. jest to opinia pana Hopkinsa 2. dowiadujemy si´, jaki styl ˝ycia ludzie prowadzà, badajàc ich zakupy, a raczej opakowania po nich 3. dowiadujemy si´, czy ludzie prowadzà zdrowy tryb ˝ycia 4. nie dowiadujemy si´, jak cz´sto ktoÊ zmienia np. rodzaj pitej kawy – wiemy tylko, ˝e mo˝emy si´ o tym dowiedzieç 5. pan Hopinks nic nie mówi na ten temat 3. 1. Yes – ‘… not a recent innovation …’ 2. No 3. No 4. Yes – ‘In the late 20th century...’ 5. Yes – ‘The idea came from the Austrian architect ...’ 6. No 7. Yes – ‘Moreover, going to a shopping centre is not only about doing the shopping. People eat there, meet their friends, go to the cinema or a hairdresser’s. Shopping centres are places of entertainment and social meetings ...’ 8. Yes – ‘… well… like they were in ancient times’.
MATURA ANSWER KEY The shop assistant told me there was nothing wrong with it. However, it only worked for a few days and then stopped working completely. I could not even take out my CDs. I can assure you I am not to blame for this situation and that I did not try to repair it on my own. I would like to receive a full refund or a new CD player. I hope you will give this matter your immediate attention. I look forward to hearing from you. Yours faithfully XYZ Wypowiedê ustna Typ zadania maturalnego (1) 1. become a club member – staç si´ cz∏onkiem klubu pay in cash / by credit card – zap∏aciç gotówkà / kartà kredytowà shop on-line – robiç zakupy przez Internet fill in a form – wype∏niç formularz How much is it to join the club /to get a membership card? – Ile kosztuje cz∏onkowstwo w klubie? 2. 1. Could you tell me … 2. I would like to know … 3. … fill in a form. 4. Is it possible … 5. You have to pay extra … 6. … you offer any discount for students? 7. …we don’t send catalogues … 8. … shop with us … 3. – Good morning. Book Club. How can I help you? – How much is it to join the club? – It’s 24 pounds a year but you can pay 2 pounds every month. – How often do people meet? – Well, we meet up every month but sometimes if there is a new book out, we may have an extra meeting. – Can I buy books on-line? – Yes, our website is really great. It has all the information you need about the bookshop and the club. – OK. Thank you for the information. 5. Przyk∏adowa wypowiedê – Where can I buy a good English-Polish dictionary? I need it for my girlfriend. – There is a good shop in the centre. It’s called English Books and they offer discounts for students. – Oh good. – You could also check on-line bookshops, they have special offers too. – That’s a good idea. – If you have a problem, let me know. I can help you. – Thanks a lot. – No problem. Typ zadania maturalnego (2) 1. 1. Tak 2. Tak 3. Nie 4. Tak
5. Tak 6. Tak 7. Tak 2. Opis A jest pe∏ny, ale chaotyczny i nie zawsze poprawny j´zykowo. Ten opis otrzyma∏by 1 punkt na 2 mo˝liwe. Opis B jest pe∏ny i poprawny j´zykowo. Wypowiedê jest u∏o˝ona logicznie i zawiera pe∏ne zdania. Ten opis otrzyma∏by 2 punkty na 2 mo˝liwe. 3. 1. kogo przedstawia ilustracja 2. gdzie ta osoba si´ znajduje 3. co ta osoba robi 4. jak ta osoba si´ czuje 5. odniesienie sytuacji do swoich doÊwiadczeƒ 6. opinia ucznia o sytuacji 4. Przyk∏adowe wypowiedzi 1. No, I don’t think so. I think she’s just learning and it looks like the first time. 2. The pluses are that it’s quicker and the choice is bigger and you can stay at home. The minuses are that you must have a credit card and it may not be safe. 5. Odpowiedzi ucznia.
8. PODRÓ˚OWANIE Rozumienie tekstu czytanego 2./3. 1. its – zaimek 2. in contrast – zwrot wyra˝ajàcy kontrast 3. However – zwrot wyra˝ajàcy kontrast 4. there – inne sformu∏owanie wyra˝ajàce miejsce 5. the city – inne sformu∏owanie wyra˝ajàce miejsce 6. another – zaimek 7. additionally – dodanie argumentu 4. Podpowiedzi 1. Zdanie C, poniewa˝ opisuje jakie sà to sporty i pasuje do zdania, które wyst´puje jako nast´pne. 2. Zwrot these games odnosi si´ do tenisa i golfa. 3. winter odnosi si´ do zwrotu this is the time 4. Dwa zdania opisujà, co mo˝na znaleêç w mieÊcie, ale pasuje zdanie Many of them gdzie them odnosi si´ do s∏owa buildings. 5. Zdanie F wspomina muzeum, które póêniej jest opisane. Zadanie 1. C 2. D 3. A 4. E 5. F Rozumienie tekstu s∏uchanego 1./2. Wypowiedê 1. – pozytywna S∏owa-klucze: holiday of my life (wakacje mojego ˝ycia),fantastic, marvellous (wspania∏y) Wypowiedê 2. – negatywna S∏owa-klucze: not what I’d expected (nie to czego si´ spodziewa∏em/am), not much to do, I was bored (Nudzi∏o mi si´.)
MATURA ANSWER KEY Wypowiedê 3. – negatywna S∏owa-klucze: nightmare (koszmar), late, not enough seats (za ma∏o miejsc), fed up (mia∏em/-am wszystkiego dosyç), stuck in a traffic jam (utkn´liÊmy w korku) Wypowiedê 4. – pozytywna S∏owa-klucze: comfortable,tasty meal,wonderful views (wspania∏e widoki), nice holiday 4. 1. C – ‘… didn’t expect to see what we saw’/ ‘we were a bit shocked’ 2. B – ‘… everyone was screaming and swearing, we were furious and complained.’ 3. A – ‘My hands were shaking and I was terrified.’ 4. E – ‘… optimistic, fantastic experience, the best couple in the world’. Wypowiedê pisemna 1. 1. Prawda 2. Fa∏sz 3. Prawda 4. Fa∏sz 5. Prawda 2. 1. Hello from Paris. /I’m in Paris on a school trip. 2. Fortunately, it’s quite sunny and not very cold. /Unfortunately, it’s raining and it is a bit windy. 3. We’re doing a lot of sightseeing. Today we’re going to see the Eiffel Tower. /We’re visiting different art galleries and museums – so many of them here! 4. My favourite thing here is French food – quite different from the Polish one! / I absolutely love Disneyworld – it’s fun even for people my age. 3. Hello Tom I’m at the seaside in Spain. It’s beautiful here. We go to the beach every day. The weather is nice and it’s hotter than in Poland in the summers. It’s a pity that you aren’t here with me. Bye XYZ 4. Przyk∏adowa odpowiedê Hi I’m on a school trip in Kraków. We’re staying in a youth hostel. It’s OK. We go to see a different place every day. Today we’re going to see Wieliczka, a salt mine near Kraków. Hope you’re fine. Say hello to Rita for me. Bye XYZ Wypowiedê ustna Typ zadania maturalnego (1) 1. Odpowiedzi ucznia 3. Przyk∏adowa odpowiedê – So tell us what happened? I was going on my holiday to Greece. It was a nice flight and everything was OK until we landed.
– And what happened next? My luggage went missing. They didn’t know where it was. What was worse, I missed my bus to the hotel. – And what did you do next? I slept at the airport because I had to wait for my bags! It was horrible. 4. – So how was your trip? – The plane was late and I felt sick. When we landed, we had more problems. – What problems? – No one came to meet us and we didn’t know where to go so we were really upset. – What did you do in the end? – We asked some people for help and they found us a cheap hotel room. Our family contacted us only the next day. – Oh, that wasn’t nice, was it? 5. Odpowiedzi ucznia Typ zadania maturalnego (2) 1. I can see a lot of tourists. They are in the mountains. It seems a popular tourist attraction because there are many people. Some of them are looking at souvenirs, some are walking and others are taking pictures. It is a beautiful day so they look like they are enjoying themselves very much. They must feel relaxed. 2. Przyk∏adowe odpowiedzi 1. They look unhappy and tired. 2. They must feel very happy and fascinated by the view. 3. He seems angry. 4. She probably feels bored /interested. 5. They are certainly having fun – they look happy. 4. 1. I am not sure. I think most of them will go back to their hotels. Some of them may go for a walk in the mountains. 2. No, I don’t. You must travel with other people and visit places with the same people. I prefer to go on holiday just with my friends.
9. KULTURA Rozumienie tekstu czytanego 1. 1. F – tylko teksty B i C mówià, kiedy film powsta∏ po raz pierwszy 2. T – tekst C opisuje krótko histori´ przedstawionà w filmie 3. F – wszystkie teksty mówià o rzeczach, które by∏y nowe: A – ‘a new form of entertainment’; B – ‘among the first films to use special effects …’; C – …‘a new type of gangster movie …’ 4. F – tylko tekst B mówi, ˝e w rzeczywistoÊci ludzie bali si´ bohatera filmu 5. T – A ‘… the most attractive…’; B – ‘a very good movie, C – ‘fascinating portrait /… best film …’ 2. 1. B – ‘A remake of this classic film …’ 2. A – ‘… making him the most popular character …’ 3. B /C – ‘…made in 1933…’ /‘… premiered in 1972.’ 4. B – ‘… covered with rabbit hair.’ 5. A – ‘… rejected one filmmaker’s idea ‘…’, … he did not like that’. 6. C – ‘the best film of its kind ever made’
MATURA ANSWER KEY 3. Podpowiedzi 1. D 2. A 3. trip, travel 4. create Zadanie 1. D – ‘… bored with her job …’ 2. A – ‘He is in real trouble.’ 3. A /B – ‘… makes a trip back …’ / ’… time travel …’ 4. D – ‘… a short story that Martin also created.’ 5. A – ‘Remember him from the Lord of the Rings trilogy?’ 6. A – ‘… writer and director Cameron Crowe …’ 7. C – ‘They have never got on…’ 8. B – ‘… it is a race against time …’ Rozumienie tekstu s∏uchanego 1. a. odpowiedzi ucznia b. music: guitar /lyrics /producer /singer film: production /plot /action book: plot /characters /novel /chapter 2. Odpowiedzi ucznia. 3. Tekst 1.: painting: artist’s best known creations /portrait /realism and abstraction /landscapes /colours /art gallery. Tekst 2.: opera: performance /curtain went up /Her voice was amazing – she sang for about 4 minutes /operatic music 4. 1. A 2. D 3. E 4. G 5. C Wypowiedê pisemna 2. 1. I completely disagree /I consider /What I find the most interesting / I agree /in my opinion 2. First of all /secondly /furthermore 3. List jest za d∏ugi o ok. 50 s∏ów; skrócona wersja listu poni˝ej: Dear Sir / Madam I am writing to express my opinion on the views presented in your article about comics. I completely disagree with the critical opinion of the author. The author’s opinion is unfair. Most young people enjoy reading comics . First of all, they say that comics seem more interesting than books because they combine text and pictures. Secondly, youngsters like comics because they are like action movies and some are true pieces of art. I also like reading comics and my favourite one is Asterix. What I find the most interesting are the adventures of the characters and funny cartoon characters. I agree that some comics show violence and ugly characters. However, most of them are fun and not violent. Furthermore, they make young people read. I would like to hear from other young people and learn their opinions. Yours faithfully XYZ
3. 1. I am writing to express my opinion on the views presented in your article about comics. 2. I must say that I completely disagree with the critical opinion of the author. 3. First of all 4. Furthermore 5. I agree that some comics may show violence and ugly characters. However,… 6. I would like to hear from other young people and learn what they think about the subject. 7. In my opinion … 4. Przyk∏adowa odpowiedê Dear Sir / Madam I am writing to express my dissatisfaction with the proposed idea of closing the film discussion club. I must say I completely disagree with this decision. The club is very important for all the students, and it has been there for the last 20 years. The students enjoy watching films and talking about them. We are proud of this club and other students from other universities come to discuss the films as well. If you close the club, the students will lose a meeting place and will have nothing to do in the evenings. I would like to hear from other students and learn what they think. I hope that the film club will not be closed. Yours faithfully XYZ 2. Odpowiedzi ucznia Wypowiedê ustna Typ zadania maturalnego (1) 1. Rozmowa 1.: uczeƒ nie przekaza∏ 1. i 3. informacji Rozmowa 2.: jest wy˝ej oceniona, poniewa˝ uczeƒ odnosi si´ do wszytkich punktów w zadaniu. 2. I’m afraid I don’t really like ... – Przykro mi, ale nie bardzo lubi´... What a good idea! – Fajny pomys∏! I’m not sure. – Nie jestem pewny/–a. We could do it some other time. – Mo˝emy to zrobiç kiedy indziej. 3. Przyk∏adowa rozmowa – Shall we go to this new art gallery? – I’m afraid I don’t really like art. – What about going to the theatre then? – This sounds interesting! What’s on show? – CATS – you know, the famous musical. – OK. What a good idea! – Let’s meet in front of the theatre at 7. 4. Przyk∏adowa rozmowa – Would you like to go to the new Museum of Computers? – I’m afraid I don’t really like going to museums. How about going to a rock concert instead? – That sounds interesting. How much are the tickets? – 20 PLN – is that OK? – Yes, fine.
MATURA ANSWER KEY Typ zadania maturalnego (2)
Rozumienie tekstu s∏uchanego
2. 1. This artist has probably finished his painting. 2. ….some fans may go to a music club. 3. The performance was certainly successful… 4. It looks like the sculptor has just finished his work on the statue. 5. The performer probably said something funny. 3. 1. kogo /co pokazuje ilustracja 2. jakie miejsce przedstawia ilustracja 3. co si´ dzieje lub w∏aÊnie si´ sta∏o 4. opinia ucznia o sytuacji przedstawionej na ilustracji 4. Przyk∏adowe odpowiedzi Ilustracja 1. 1. They may sing again for the fans because the fans liked the concert so much. 2. Yes, it is. I love listening to music. I listen to my favourite bands all the time, especially when I want to relax. Ilustracja 2. 1. I don’t know. I think famous people like signing books. She may be tired but I think she doesn’t mind. 2. My favourite books are adventure and thriller stories. I like books with a lot of action. 6. 1. TAK 2. TAK 3. TAK 4. TAK 5. TAK
1. 1. 1913 2. 1936 3. four 4. for both running and jumping 5. as good as white people 6. liked 2. 1. 1980 – Jesse Owens died 2. 100 – he won the medal for the 100 metre sprint 3. 200 – he won the medal for the 200 metre sprint 4. 400 – he won the medal for the 400 relay (sztafeta) 3. 1. 1914 2. 1936 3. 1660 4. 1715 5. 2013 4. 1. d – ‘... her sporting career started as early as in 1980.’ 2. d – ‘… and ran the second fastest marathon in history.’ 3. b – ‘… she finished 299th in her first national race so she stopped doing her other hobby, judo…’ 4. c – ‘… she counts to herself.’
10. SPORT Rozumienie tekstu czytanego 1. 1. d 2. 1. No – because she was a woman. 2. Because she was Mohamed Ali’s daughter. 3. Yes, her opponent had less experience and was weaker. 4. Because her opponent was weak and because she has a lot of talent. 5. Because she is also a daughter of a famous boxer. 3. 1. b –‘… he would say no, because she was a woman.’ 2. c – ‘Laila Ali’s first fight had TV stations from around the world and the best boxing journalists…’ 3. c – ‘Poor April Fowler had even less experience…’ 4. a – ‘Everyone agreed that Laila needed more of a challenge…’ 5. d – ‘So watch out – you may see a good match …’ 4. 1. b – ‘… they also have a reputation of being a bit boring.’ 2. c – ‘Arsenal fans are generally quieter … and don’t have quite so many songs and chants …’ 3. d – ‘… many believe it was just to make sales bigger. /…a new team sponsor …’ 4. a – tekst ma styl artuku∏u gazetowego
Wypowiedê pisemna 1. Hi guys I am sorry but I cannot come to the training today. I am meeting my English cousin at the same time – I have not seen him for ages. Please tell the coach. I hope you have fun as usual! See you tonight! XYZ 2. everyone make seeing know time soon 3. 1. I can’t come to the meeting. /I can’t make it to our basketball training. 2. Present Continuous 3. Tell the coach. /Let the coach know. 4. Hope you have fun. /Hope you have a good time. 4. Przyk∏adowa wypowiedê Hello I’m going to the swimming pool with my friend. I can’t make it in time for dinner. Back at 7. Don’t worry – I’ll be fine. XYZ 5. Odpowiedzi ucznia
MATURA ANSWER KEY 11. ZDROWIE Rozumienie tekstu czytanego
Wypowiedê ustna Typ zadania maturalnego (1) 1. Odpowiedzi przyk∏adowe A. Take the first left, then turn right and walk as far as the trafiic lights. Then turn left and finally take the first right. The sports centre will be on your right. B. Just go straight on, past some terraced houses. The sports centre will be on your right. 2. 1. a 2. d 3. e 4. c 5. b 4. Przyk∏adowa wypowiedê – I would like to do some exercise, you know keep, fit a bit more. – There are many sports you can do in our town: football, basketball, swimming or tennis – Oh, good. Which one should I do? – Why not take up squash. It’s fast and exciting. – Sounds good. How do I get to the club from my place? – You must take bus no. 4 and get off at the third stop. It’s opposite the bus stop. 6. Przyk∏adowa odpowiedê – So what about me joining your basketball team? – Yes, no problem. We play twice a week on Monday and Friday. – Why don’t you come to our next match in a week’s time? – How do I get there? – When you’re in the main square, you must turn into Sosnowa Street and walk past the Biedronka supermarket. It’s next to it. – Thanks. See you there. Typ zadania maturalnego (2) 1. Opis B jest zdecydowanie lepszy i pe∏niejszy. 2. I can see an ice hockey match. In the background there are fans. They are just fighting for the puck. I think they look like they really want to win the match. 3. 1. Yes, I do. The match looks interesting because the fans look interested. They look like they are cheering their team. 2.a. Yes, I do. I love doing sports. I play football every weekend. My friends and I go swimming once a week. Sport helps me relax. b. No, I don’t. I’m not a sporty type. I prefer computer games and discos. They help me relax. 6. Opis ilustracji jest pe∏ny. Uczeƒ umotywowa∏ swojà opini´.
2. A. a. poniewa˝ ludzie mogà cierpieç na ró˝ne rodzaje chorób b. podane jest tylko, ˝e restauracje typu fast food tracà klientów c. poniewa˝ oferujà wi´cej warzyw, owoców i sa∏atek B. a. wiemy tylko, jakie ma objawy fizyczne choroby b. jego ciÊnienie krwi cz´sto opada c. produkuje mniej krwi i dlatego Ashley mdleje C. a. nie ma o tym ˝adnej informacji b. musi jeÊç s∏one i t∏uste jedzenie c. wolno mu jeÊç czekolad´ D. a. wiemy tylko, ˝e alkohol wzmaga produkcj´ krwi b. lekarze powiedzieli mu, ˝e ma wypijaç troch´ alkoholu c. alkohol sprawia, ˝e Ashley êle si´ czuje 3. Podpowiedzi 1. oznacza kilka /niektórzy, a to nie oznacza wszyscy (everyone) 2. nie ma takiej informacji – wiemy tylko, ˝e jest to rzadka choroba 3. musi jeÊç frytki, hamburgery itp. 4. tak, apparently oznacza tutaj prawdopodobnie /wydaje si´. 5. nie wynika to z tekstu – jest tylko domniemanie, ˝e mo˝e si´ uzale˝niç, poniewa˝ Cola mu smakuje – jest to wyra˝one ironicznie Zadanie 1. F – ‘Everyone knows...’ 2. No info 3. T – ‘The only things that stop him from fainting (mdlenia) several times a day are salt and fatty foods ... /… he must eat thickly buttered …’) 4. T – Apparently he will recover from the condition …’(tutaj oznacza chorob´) 5. No info 4. 1. T – ‘64 % of British teens would. Surveys in Europe show similar results.’ 2. NO INFO 3. F – ‘... many teens know some drugs can harm their health.’ 4. T – ‘Drugs such as Ecstasy are sold to look cool.’ 5. NO INFO 6. T – ‘… it’s safer than drinking which kills more teens a year through drunk driving.’ 7. F – ‘… fell out of a window to his death.’ 8. T – ‘For the people who suffer no bad side-effects at first …’ Rozumienie tekstu s∏uchanego 1. 1. Nie – most oznacza wi´kszoÊç 2. Few oznacza niewielu 3. Nie – sometimes oznacza czasami. 4. Tak – ten zwrot jest u˝ywany w takim kontekÊcie 5. Nie – most oznacza wi´kszoÊç 2. 1. F – most not all 2. T – few = only some
MATURA ANSWER KEY 3. F – some not majority 4. F – more than 3000 5. F – no one not some 6. F – some bars not all 3. 1. F in the teenage years not childhood 2. No info 3. No info 4. F – some not all 5. No info 6. F – 60% may recover completely 4. 1. T – ‘… disease started spreading around the world so quickly it terrified many people.’ 2. F – ‘Days later WHO was working to stop the illness …’ 3. NO INFO 4. T – ‘...an infectious disease like SARS can travel around the world in a very short time.’ 5. NO INFO 6. T – ‘This isn’t many people especially when compared to (kiedy porównaç z) the 1918 flu epidemic which killed 50 million.’ 7. F – ‘Some people think that …’ 8. NO INFO Wypowiedê pisemna 1. 1. fa∏sz 2. prawda 3. fa∏sz 4. prawda 2. E-mail 1. Wymaga j´zyka formalnego; nale˝y wykreÊliç: 1. b 2. a 3. b 4. a E-mail 2. Wymaga j´zyka potocznego; nale˝y wykreÊliç: 1. b 2. b 3. a 4. b 3. rozpocz´cie F: Dear Mr Peters /Dear Sir/Madam I: Hello Susan /Hi Ted /Dear Karen zakoƒczenie F: I look forward to hearing from you. Best regards I: Bye for now. See you soon. Take care podzi´kowanie F: I am very grateful for all your help. I: Thanks for everything. pozdrawianie innych F: Please give my best wishes to your family. I: Say hello to your sister 4. Przyk∏adowy e-mail w j´zyku potocznym: Hello Sue I’m really sorry but I can’t send the translation on time. I’m ill. I have a high temperature! I promise to finish it as soon as I get better. Say hello to Peter. Take care XYZ
Przyk∏adowy e-mail w j´zyku formalnym: Dear Mrs Wilson I apologise but I will not be able to finish the translation on time. I was taken ill (or I am ill) and I have a high temperature. I promise I shall finish it as soon as I recover. I do hope you can wait. Yours sincerely, XYZ Wypowiedê ustna Typ zadania maturalnego (1) 1. 1. I broke my leg when I was skiing. An ambulance took me to hospital. 2. I couldn’t come to the meeting because I had a high temperature. 3. When I was walking to school, I helped a blind person get to the bus stop. 4. I had a horrible toothache but I couldn’t find a dentist’s surgery which was open. 5. When I was cooking, I cut my finger and I fainted. 2. Przyk∏adowa wypowiedê A: Why didn’t you come to the meeting? B: I’m sorry but I had a bike accident. A: Oh, I’m so sorry. How did it happen? B: I was riding my bike when it started raining. The road was so wet that I skidded and fell off the bike. A: Did anyone help you? B: Yes, a man who saw the accident. He was very helpful. He took me to the doctor’s. It was a really terrible experience. 4. Przyk∏adowa wypowiedê – So how was your journey? – It wasn’t very nice. I felt sick. – What did you do? – I asked the driver to stop but he said no because we were late! – How horrible! So what did you do? – I took another tablet and drank lots of water. I was a bit better. – I’m so sorry. Typ zadania maturalnego (2) 1. B. 1. men 2. wheelchairs 3. basketball 4. teams 5. very fit 3. 1. I think these people may have many problems. For example, it is not easy to travel by public transport or use public buildings. Sometimes other people may laugh at them. They may not have many friends. 2. There are many horrible diseases. There are blind people and deaf people, for example. I have a friend who is on a wheelchair but he’s OK about it now and he has many friends. He even plays basketball.
MATURA ANSWER KEY 12. NAUKA/TECHNIKA Rozumienie tekstu czytanego 1. 1. a 2. b 3. a 2. Przyk∏adowe odpowiedzi 4. What should youngsters do to stay safe on the Internet? 5. How popular is the Internet all over the world? 3. 1. D 2. E 3. A 4. F 5. G 2. B. Ta informacja jest tylko cz´Êciowo zgodna z ostatnim akapitem. Nie ma informacji, ˝e dobra jakoÊç pojawi∏a si´ „w koƒcu” jako d∏ugo oczekiwana zmiana. C. ˚aden akapit nie koncentruje si´ na technologii Internet + telefon komórkowy. Rozumienie tekstu s∏uchanego 1. 1. f 2. k 3. l 4. b 5. e 6. d 7. c 8. g 9. a 10. i 11. j 12. h 2. Porzàdek chronologiczny b/e/d/c/g/a/i/j/h/k/f/l 3. 1. he is an inspiring figure 2. strange 3. left without receiving a degree 4. inherited a fortune 5. he didn’t want to see, meet or talk to anyone 6. astronomical instruments 4. A1 B6 C5 D4 E2 F3 Wypowiedê pisemna 1. 1. telefon 2. DVD /hi-fi 3. hi-fi /video
4. hi-fi /video /DVD 5. computer 6. computer 7. all 8. all 9. all 2. Przyk∏adowe odpowiedzi 1. Start up the computer, go to Outlook Express, then click on Create New Mail, write the e-mail address and your message. Then click on Send and it’s done. 2. Dial 0048, then the town code, for example 42 and home number. 3. Put in the cassette, make sure it’s on the video channel and press the Record button. 4. You can buy a card and scratch it. You will see a number and above it there are the instructions. Use the number to top up the phone. 3. Przyk∏adowa odpowiedê Dear Catherine I left the CD on the desk. You just start up your computer and put the CD in the special slot in your computer – just press the button and it opens and then closes. Then you click on the CD-Rom icon on the computer screen. You should do the vocabulary exercises – they are the most interesting. Please remember to turn the computer off. See you soon XYZ 4. Przyk∏adowa wypowiedê Hello Jay Jay Good to know that you’ve come back to Poland. To call me you need to dial the area code – 42 and then my number. Oh, and don’t forget to dial 0 before the whole number. Please let me have your phone number so I can ring you. Hope to meet you soon. XYZ Wypowiedê ustna Typ zadania egzaminacyjnego (1) 1. a. 2 b. 7 c. 4 d. 1 e. 5 f. 6 g. 3 3. Przyk∏adowa wypowiedê – Good afternoon. – How can I help you? – I’d like to buy a good pay-as-you-go phone but not too expensive. – This model should be OK for you. – How long is the guarantee for? – It’s valid for one year. – OK. How do I ring Poland from England? Do I add any special numbers? – Just 0048 and then your town code and your home number. – I’ll have it. Thank you.
MATURA ANSWER KEY 5. Przyk∏adowa odpowiedê – I’m looking for a good shop with electronic equipment. – What exactly would you like to buy? – Just a good hi-fi system. – There is a good shop in the main street, you know opposite the market. Would you like me to come with you? – Yes, that would be nice. My Polish isn’t that good yet! Typ zadania maturalnego (2) 1./2. This picture shows a scientist. He is in a lab. He’s probably doing some research. He’s looking at something under the microscope. He looks very concentrated. 3. 1. Praca naukowca jest trudna. 2. Sp´dza si´ du˝o czasu w laboratorium. 3. To jest nudne. 6. Wyglàda na ∏atwe. 7. Siedzi si´ w laboratorium i przeprowadza te same eksperymenty. 4. Przyk∏adowe odpowiedzi 1. I think his work is hard. You do lots of experiments and you sit in a lab. You probably must study a lot too. 2. Scientists must be very hard-working and patient. Sometimes they have to wait for a long time for the results of their work.
13. ÂWIAT PRZYRODY Rozumienie tekstu czytanego 1. a. 3 b. 1 c. 1 d. 2 e. 3 f. 2 g. 2 /3 2. 1. tiny village 2. travel on foot 3. normal clothes are useless 4. it’s so depressing 5. keeps ancient remains in good condition 3. 1. A – animal right campaigner 2. A – ‘The British government didn’t do anything about the experimentation on animals.’ 3. B – ‘His crime was a two-year firebombing campaign…’ 4. D – ‘… give electric shocks to cats and dogs /Beagle dogs are forced to smoke cigarettes …’ 5. C – ‘Many agree with Barry that …’ 6. C – ‘… we have other methods of testing available.’ Rozumienie tekstu s∏uchanego 1. 1C 2A 3E 4D
2. Speaker 1: damage, polluting, catastrophic Speaker 2: crowded Speaker 3: wind, farm, renewable, energy, noisy Speaker 4: drop, packets, bin, litter 3. 1E 2C 3D 4B 4. 1. These animals need special food and care. 2. One thing I believe is that they make you feel more relaxed and dogs are a very good example. 3. They feel pain and look unhappy in these cages or when someone experiments on them just like we would. 4. that’s what fascinates me – just finding out about them. Wypowiedê pisemna 2. Przyk∏adowe odpowiedzi 1. Why don’t you come to the meeting with Greenpeace activists? 2. Hello everybody! Come and take part in our ‘Clean the World’ campaign. Don’t miss your chance to help the environment! 3. Hello everyone! Why not come to watch a film about endangered species of animals. You’ll learn how to help save them! 4. Hi everyone! Want to help Africa? Take part in our charity event. Find out more on www.helpafrica.com 3. Wypowiedê nie ma b∏´dów j´zykowych. Nie zawiera dwóch informacji z zadania i to obni˝a ocen´ tej wypowiedzi. 4. Przyk∏adowa wypowiedê Interested in helping poor animals? We’re organizing a charity event to help endangered species in the world. Come and see for yourself! We’re planning to invite experts from Greenpeace to tell us about endangered animals. There will be films and a lottery. Don’t miss your chance to find out more about our environment! Monday at 7 p.m in the film club. XYZ 5. Przyk∏adowa wypowiedê Hello everyone We’re organising a charity concert on Tuesday 15th. We want to collect money for endangered species and coral reefs. Why don’t you come to help us? The tickets are only £2. XYZ Wypowiedê ustna Typ zadania maturalnego (1) 1. a5 b2 c7 d3 e6
MATURA ANSWER KEY f4 g1 2. 1. Let’s go to a forest and collect all the rubbish. 2. I don’t think that your idea to show a film about killing animals is a good idea. It must be cruel. 3. I’m not sure if we should sponsor an animal from the zoo. 4. That’s a good idea. I think we should collect some money for homeless animals because they are helpless and I’m sorry for them. 3. Przyk∏adowa wypowiedê – Can I have a word with you? – What’s the matter? – Could you please remember to recycle the bottles and paper you use? – Why? It’s easier just to put all rubbish in one bin. – Maybe easier but not good for the environment. Recycling helps us keep the environment clean. – Yeah, maybe… – Well, why don’t you leave your rubbish on the side and I’ll put it in the recycling bags – OK? – That’s OK. Typ zadania maturalnego (2) 1. Przyk∏adowa wypowiedê This picture shows a beach. There are two people – they are sitting near the sea. There is a lot of rubbish on the beach – plastic, glass and paper waste. People left it there. People use the environment but don’t care about it. 3. Odpowiedzi uczniów 4. 1. a. No, they don’t. 1. b. I think these people don’t care about it. They look relaxed and they aren’t looking at it. 2. a. Nothing. I don’t care. 2. b. I try to be environmentally-friendly. I never leave rubbish and I try to select rubbish.
14. PA¡STWO I SPO¸ECZE¡STWO Rozumienie tekstu czytanego 1. 2. a /c 3. a /c 4. a /b 5. b /c 6. a /c 2. 1. After the shooting /Soon afterwards 2. Latisha Shakespeare and Charlene Ellis /The two girls-‘the’ jest potrzebne, poniewa˝ okreÊla osoby, które ju˝ zosta∏y wczeÊniej wspomniane; This – odnosi si´ do tego ci si´ wydarzy∏o. 3. But /However 4. It’s hard to say /Nobody knows. 3. Podpowiedzi a. in New York and Washington
b. o osobach z t∏umu protestujàcych (Billy Noseworthy and Erica Lillquist) c. Seth Green d. ˝e Amerykanie sà patriotami i nie chcà protestów takich jak te e. bardziej ekstremalny punkt widzenia od tego wyra˝onego w poprzednim akapicie f. Akapit zaczynajàcy si´ od Many countries jest najbradziej ogólny i przedstawia problem Zadanie 1. F 2. C 3. D 4. E 5. A 6. G 7. B Rozumienie tekstu s∏uchanego 1. 1. a. ‘… some groups suggest this.’ 2. b. ‘… they would become more interested in politics and social issues.’ 3. b ‘The majority of young people don’t know what politics is all about. 4. a. ‘They may simply vote for what their older friends or parents vote for.’ 3. A. – B. ✓ – she was killed C. ✓ – he was gifted – utalentowany and he didn’t need a life of crime D. – E. ✓ – He also has his own brand of trainers F. – G. ✓ – it was for protection H. ✓ – does his best to bring up his son without crime and violence Wypowiedê pisemna 1. a. Nie – powinnien si´ rozpoczàç od Dear Sir /Madam i zakoƒczyç Yours Faithfully. b. Nie c. Nie – brakuje uzasadnienia, dlaczego sà to wa˝ne problemy i informacja o zach´ceniu czytelników jest zdawkowa d. Nie – jest za krótki: zawiera nieco ponad 60 s∏ów e. Tak f. Raczej nie – zdania sà pojedynczo z∏o˝one. Tylko jedno zdanie jest po∏àczone za pomocà and. g. Nie – powtarza si´ s∏owo care. 2. Przyk∏adowa wypowiedê Dear Sir / Madam I am writing to express my disagreement with the views you presented in your article. I think most young people care about social issues in their country and abroad. Personally, I am interested in different social issues such as crime and drugs because they influence my life. I feel upset when teenagers commit crimes and I often think people do not do enough to help the situation.
MATURA ANSWER KEY In Poland young people want to help other poorer countries. In my country young people take part in all kinds of charity concerts and peaceful demonstrations to show their solidarity with people who suffer. I would like to hear other young people’s opinions about the problem. I am sure I am not the only young person who cares about the world. Yours faithfully XYZ 3. Przyk∏adowa wypowiedê Dear Sir / Madam I am writing to join the discussion about severe punishments for young people and drug dealers who commit crimes. I am glad you started this discussion because this is a very important issue. I think it is bad to punish young people like adults because they will never improve in this way. Young people need education and jobs not prisons. When they are in prison, they beome even worse. In Poland punishments are getting more and more severe for young criminals and drug dealers. I disagree with this because these youngsters often come from poor families and did not get a proper education. I would like to hear other young people’s opinions about the problem and ways you cope with young offenders in your country. Yours faithfully XYZ Wypowiedê ustna Typ zadania maturalnego (1) 1. 1. When I was walking to school I was robbed (mugged). I waited for the police and that’s why I was late. 2. I couldn’t come to the meeting because a homeless person asked me for help. 3. This was the best day of my life. I was helping to collect money for charity and I collected the most money! I was proud of myself. 4. We decided to take part in this demonstration because we are against war. 2. A: I’m sorry I’m late for dinner but I saw a mugging in the street. B: What happened? A: When I was coming back from my school, I heard a woman. She was shouting and then I saw a man. He was running / ran away with her bag. She was very upset. B: So what did you do? A: I went to see if she was OK and then I rang the police, that’s all. B: Very nice of you to help her … 4. Przyk∏adowa wypowiedê A: Where were you? B: We decided to take part in this demonstration in the city centre. A: Why? B: We are against terrorism so we wanted to show it. A: How many people took part? B: Many… about a thousand…It was interesting to do it because I know more about it now. A: Oh, good.
Typ zadania maturalnego (2) 1. Przyk∏adowe t∏umaczenie This photograph was taken in Africa. I can see a doctor, a small child and his mum. The doctor is holding the child and he is examining him. The child is small and looks frightened. This must be a difficult job. These doctors don’t live in their own countries and they live in danger. 3. 1. It’s hard to say but I think the child may be sick and needs some special medicines. Or maybe there is a war in his country and then international organizations help because other people are fighting and destroying hospitals. 2. Yes, of course. We should always help other people in need. We must help poor and sick people or victims of natural disasters like the tsunami disaster.
15. ELEMENTY WIEDZY O KRAJACH ANGIELSKIEGO OBSZARU J¢ZYKOWEGO Rozumienie tekstu czytanego 1./2. 1. a. the main reason is that it’s a lively city b. the city offers plenty of tours but they are connected with Liverpool c. it’s a lively city and offers a variety of attractions (przyk∏adowa odpowiedê) d. this isn’t the reason why tourists go to Liverpool, local people meet in these bars. 2. a. they have two good football teams b. they have two talented football teams (przyk∏adowa odpowiedê) c. horse racing is also popular d. we don’t know from the text if they are still the best in the league. 3. a /b /c. it isn’t any of these as it refers to ‘a meat stew’ which is a dish d. a dish / food (przyk∏adowa odpowiedê) 3. 1. a – ‘A lot of young people love exploring the British countryside…’ 2. c – ‘They think he is a very gifted actor able to take on any role (zagraç /przyjàç)’ 3. d – ‘Most, though, said that they love the changing seasons …’ 4. a – ‘The majority like living in a country where there are so many different types of people …’ 5. b – ‘Curry, though, seems to beat all the competition and appears to be the most liked dish.’ 6. d – it has a style that isn’t serious and typical of a teenage magazine Rozumienie tekstu s∏uchanego 1./2. 1. b – ‘Many cities celebrate St Patrick’s Day with parades, street parties and fireworks.’ 2. a – ‘People dress in the Welsh national costume or wear a daffodil (one of the symbols of Wales)’. 3. c – ‘….English people forgot about the festival. Perhaps this is because St George is also the patron saint of Portugal, Germany and Lithuania.’
MATURA ANSWER KEY 3. 1. a. niezgodny z treÊcià – ludzie obchodzà to Êwi´to na ca∏ym Êwiecie c. brak informacji d. dotyczy to wydarzenia z przesz∏oÊci, wi´c tylko cz´Êciowo poprawne 2. b. niezgodny z treÊcià – dopiero niedawno zacz´to obchodziç to Êwi´to w Ameryce c. niezgodny z treÊcià – ludzie nie wierzà, ˝e kiedyÊ b´dzie tak popularne, jak St. Patrick’s Day (take off – staç si´ popularnym) d. brak informacji 3. a. niezgodny z treÊcià – nie obchodzone jest to Êwi´to powszechnie b. niezgodny z treÊcià – by∏o obchodzone d. brak informacji 4. 1. d 2. b 3. c 4. a 5. 1d – ‘It made her angry because she wanted people to concentrate on her acting. She said he was mixed race and she didn’t want to choose which race she was.’ 2 b – ‘… students must tick just one box to describe their ethnic origin when they sit state exams but they can’t do that because they feel it is like saying no to another part of their identity.’ 3 c – ‘I’m lucky though because both my Chinese and Irish grandparents get on well.’ 4 a – ‘I love it, I get to have access to two different cultures.’ Wypowiedê pisemna 1./2. Dear George Thank you very much for your letter. It was good to hear from you again. I’m fine. The school is going well and I have a new boyfriend! Well, your 18th birthday is the most important in Poland. We have a big party at home or in a pub. Tomek’s party will be at his place. We’re going to buy him two CDs because he loves music. What are you buying? I can’t wait to see you again and have a chat. Best wishes to your parents. See you soon XYZ 2. 1. przymiotnika 2. I’m 3. Present Continouns 4. / 6. / 7. a 5. 18 th 8. Tomek’s 9. / 11. be going to; Present Continouns 10. / 12. -s 3. 1. Hope they’re feeling OK. 2. Just come back from my hols (holidays). Or, I’ve just come back from my hols. 3. I’m buying him a CD. 4. We’ll come to see you as soon as we get to London. 5. They can’t help us 2morrow.
4. Przyk∏adowy list Dear George Thank you very much for your letter. It was good to hear from you again. I’m fine. The school is going well and I have a new boyfriend! His name is Kuba and he’s cool! You’ll see him when you come. Well, your 18th birthday is the most important in Poland. We have a big party at home or in a pub. There’s a cake and 18 candles and we slap the 18 year-old year old 18 times on his bum. Tomek’s party will be at his place. We’re going to buy him two CDs because he loves music. Some other friends are buying a computer game and some books. What are you buying? I can’t wait to see you again and have a chat. Best wishes to your parents. See you soon XYZ 5. Przyk∏adowa wypowiedê Hello Kieran How are you? Hope everything’s OK and that school is going well. Have your Christmas holidays started yet? We have two more days left at school! Can you tell me how you celebrate Christmas in England and what traditions there are. I would like to know what you eat and when you give presents. Can you also tell me what I can buy for your parents for Christmas? I really have no idea. I’m coming to Gatwick Airport on 23 Dec at 10 a.m. and I’m staying for a week – hope that’s OK? I can’t wait to see you and your parents and I’m looking forward to visiting England too. Please give my best wishes to your parents. See you XYZ Wypowiedê ustna Typ zadania maturalnego (1) 1. 1. Happy Birthday. 2. Merry Christmas. 3. Happy Easter. 4. Good luck. 5. Enjoy yourself. 6. Have a safe journey. 7. Well done. or My congratulations. 8. Have a nice day. 9. Take care. 10. Keep in touch please. 2. 1. How do people celebrate Christmas? 2. What are your traditional Easter dishes? 3. Do people give birthday parties? 4. Are there any special traditions connected with this holiday? 5. What presents should I bring with me? 6. What do people normally do on this day? 3. Przyk∏adowy opis We celebrate Christmas for three days in Poland. The first day is Christmas Eve. Families meet and eat 12 specially-prepared dishes. Some people sing carols and we share the holy wafer and wish each other all
MATURA ANSWER KEY the best. There are presents, a Christmas tree, and Santa Claus of course. In England people don’t celebrate Christmas Eve. They start their celebrations on Christmas Day and find their presents under the tree or in special Christmas stockings. They eat roast turkey and they have a special dessert called Christmas pudding. 4. Przyk∏adowa wypowiedê – Hi Wojtek. This is Amanda. – Hello Amanda, how are you? – I’m OK. Listen I’ll be in Poland for Valentine’s Day. Do you celebrate it? – Well, yes, especially younger people. We go out to pubs or for romantic dates but it isn’t as popular as in the USA. – Do you celebrate it? – I don’t really like it that much but it’s OK. I may send a card to my boyfriend. – OK then. So it isn’t a big holiday, is it? – No, not really. So have a safe journey and ring me up when you’re in Poland. – Thanks. See you. 6. Przyk∏adowa wypowiedê – Hello. – Hello Agnieszka. I’m calling to wish you all a Happy New Year. – Thank you very much. We also wish you a good and healthy New Year. Is it a big day in Scotland? – Yes, it is. We have a big party with fireworks. – Well, enjoy yourself at the party. – The same to you. Typ zadania maturalnego (2) 1. Przyk∏adowe wypowiedzi 1. I can see two women. 2. They are wearing big hats. 3. They could be at a festival. 4. They could be looking at a parade or a performance. 2. 1. Yes, I think so. It looks fun to me. I could learn more about Irish culture. 2. I like Easter a lot because it’s in the spring and it’s usually green then. I also like the tradition of painting eggs and our Âmigus Dyngus.
PRACTICE TESTS Test 1
Rozumienie ze s∏uchu Zadanie 1 1.1. E 1.2. C 1.3. F 1.4. B 1.5. A Zadanie 2 2.1. T 2.2. T 2.3. F 2.4. F 2.5. T
Zadanie 3 3.1. C 3.2. A 3.3 D 3.4. D 3.5. B Rozumienie tekstu czytanego Zadanie 4 4.1. D 4.2. F 4.3. E 4.4. G 4.5. A 4.6. B Zadanie 5 Cz´Êç I 5.1. F 5.2. F 5.3. T 5.4. T 5.5. F 5.6. T Cz´Êç II 5.7. A 5.8. D Zadanie 6 6.1. D 6.2. F 6.3. B 6.4. C 6.5. E 6.6. A Wypowiedê pisemna Zadanie 7 Wypowiedê przyk∏adowa I would be grateful if you could answer the following questions about the tournament. What do you think about the organization of the tournament? ……………………………………………… What is your opinion about the prizes? ……………………………………………… Could you tell us if you liked your accommodation? ……………………………………………… Please tell us if you enjoyed yourself in Poland. ……………………………………………… Thank you for completing the questionnaire. Zadanie 8 Wypowiedê przyk∏adowa Dear Karen I hope you’re fine and looking forward to your trip to Poland. I’m going to wait for you at the airport together with my dad. He’s going to give us a lift to my place. You’ll never guess what we’re going to do on Tuesday – I got two tickets for the Cold Play concert in Warsaw – remember I told you about it? On Thursday we could go do some shopping if you like – there is a new shopping centre in Warsaw, full of bargains!
MATURA ANSWER KEY It’s still cold in Poland so please bring some warm clothes – we could go skating and don’t forget your swimming suit – there’s a fantastic new swimming pool near my flat! I can’t wait to see you and to have a chat. Have a nice flight. See you very soon. XYZ Test 2 Rozumienie ze s∏uchu Zadanie 1 1.1. E 1.2. B 1.3. A 1.4. D Zadanie 2 2.1. C 2.2. D 2.3. A 2.4. B 2.5. B Zadanie 3 3.1. F 3.2. NO INFO 3.3. T 3.4. F 3.5. T 3.6. F Rozumienie tekstu czytanego Zadanie 4 4.1. F 4.2. B 4.3. G 4.4. C 4.5. E 4.6. A Zadanie 5 5.1. D 5.2. G 5.3. E 5.4. A 5.5. H 5.6. B 5.7. C Zadanie 6 6.1. D 6.2. B 6.3. B 6.4. D 6.5. C 6.6. A 6.7. C
Wypowiedê pisemna Zadanie 7 Wypowiedê przyk∏adowa Hello everybody. Please help!!! I lost my rucksack – I think I left it in the corridor next to classroom 4. It is a new, black and green rucksack with a Nike logo. Inside there were my books and a dictionary. If you find it, please call me on my mobile, 0048888098765 Zadanie 8 Wypowiedê przyk∏adowa Dear Sir /Madam My name is Jan Twardowski and I am writing in response to your job advertisement in Express ¸ódzki. I am a 19-year-old secondary school student. I am training to become a restaurant chef and I am going to graduate this summer. I have one year of experience of working in a bar in my home town. I have helped to prepare meals and to serve them. I believe I am an ideal candidate for the job because I am hard-working and punctual and I know a lot about customer service. I can also speak quite good English and I am sure I will learn it better when I am in Ireland. I am available for a phone interview at any time convenient for you. I look forward to hearing from you. XYZ Test 3 Rozumienie ze s∏uchu Zadanie 1 1.1. E 1.2. B 1.3. C 1.4. D 1.5. A 1.6. F Zadanie 2 2.1. No 2.2. Yes 2.3. No 2.4. Yes 2.5. Yes 2.6. No 2.7. Yes Zadanie 3 3.1. T 3.2. F 3.3. F 3.4. T 3.5. T Rozumienie tekstu czytanego Zadanie 4 4.1. D 4.2. B 4.3. C 4.4. A 4.5. D
MATURA ANSWER KEY Zadanie 5 5.1. D 5.2. E 5.3. D 5.4. B 5.5. A 5.6. C/E 5.7. C 5.8. A 5.9. B 5.10. C Zadanie 6 6.1. C 6.2. E 6.3. A 6.4. B 6.5. F Wypowiedê pisemna Zadanie 7 Wypowiedê przyk∏adowa Hello Lucy How are you? I’m in Greece on holiday. The weather is wonderful – it’s hot and sunny. I’m in Rhodes and it’s a very beautiful island. I like the market and the port the most. How’s your holiday? Take care Best wishes XYZ Zadanie 8 Wypowiedê przyk∏adowa Dear Sir /Madam I am writing in response to your article about modern teenage music. I must say I disagree completely with the views which were expressed in this article. I think most people know that music is very important for people but especially for teenagers because it talks about our problems and worries. We also love going to discos and music helps us relax. Different people like different music – we like rap and hip hop, our parents listen to jazz and you cannot criticise any music. I listen to hip hop and I like this music because it has good lyrics which I understand. This music helps young people say what they feel. I hope other readers feel the same about teenage music and I would like to hear from other young people. I look forward to reading more articles. XYZ