SHINING LIGHT BAPTIST ACADEMY Dear Family, Friends & Alumni, Since our inception, our goal has been to provide challenging academics, character development and community involvement for our students and their families. Our ongoing pursuit of excellence compels us forward in continuing efforts to develop our staff and facilities, as well as strengthening our curriculum and extra-curricular opportunities.
Dr. Tim Cruse Pastor & Administrator NCCSA Executive Board Member
Interest in our school and new student enrollment has been strong this summer. If you desire a distinctively well-rounded education to help prepare the heart of your child(ren) for his/her time to shine, we will gladly provide information by phone, email or an in-home visit. Please call us at 704-283-1480 if you have any questions or would like to schedule a tour of our facilities. Be sure to ask about our new gym and our Summer Incentive Discounts. School starts Tuesday, September 4th! We also offer classes, testing, field trips, chapel and extra-curricular activities to homeschool families. We are glad to help if you or someone you know would be interested.
TimCruse.com | Ministry127.com
Announcing The Shining Light Radio Broadcast
featuring the pulpit ministry of Pastor Tim Cruse and made available to us free of charge Sundays at 8:15-8:45 AM:
Worldwide FBNRadio.com 102 countries Alabama 89.9 FM Gadsden 91.3 FM Oxford Delaware 96.1 FM Dover Georgia 88.1 FM Soperton 88.7 FM Tallapoosa Indiana 89.3 FM Linton Maryland 1590 AM Hagerstown 88.7 FM Lexington Park 88.7 FM Oakland
Montana 88.3 FM Pryor New Hampshire 90.7 FM Plymouth New York 104.7 FM Jamestown North Carolina 91.9 FM Ayden 1470 AM Burgaw 1590 AM Clayton 90.7 FM Edenton 90.7 FM Elizabeth City 89.5 FM Farmville 91.1 FM Henderson 88.1 FM Monroe 90.7 FM Newton Grove 90.7 FM Morehead City 103.1 FM Princeton 880 AM Winston-Salem
South Carolina 93.1 FM Rock Hill 91.9 FM St. George 1340 AM Sumter 710 AM St. Matthews
1 | royalcrusaders.com
Worldwide BaptistRadioNetwork.com 51 countries
Tennessee 107.1 FM Columbia 88.5 FM Sneedville Virginia 106.5 FM Bristol 1530 AM Collinsville 88.3 FM Edinburg 94.7 FM Harrisonburg West Virginia 89.7 FM Bernardstown 96.7 FM Nimitz 90.5 FM Summersville
Soon to be heard on local stations in Ohio, Florida, U.S. Indian Reservations, New Ghanda, Cuba, Papua New Guinea, Mexico and Iraq. Sundays at 7:30-8:30 PM:
St. Johnâ€™s AntiguaWest Indies RadioLighthouse.org 92.3 FM 1160 AM
Wyoming 105.1 FM Douglas
Live webcasts at shininglightmonroe.com Sundays: 10:45 AM & 6:00 PM Wednesdays: 7:00 PM
Sundays at 4:05-4:55 PM:
cover photo: Rising senior Andrew Cruse volunteers at a Neighborhood Bible Club in Downtown Monroe
Mayor Speaks To Our Students Monroe Mayor Bobby Kilgore spoke during our Leadership Lecture Series to our students this past school year about public service and the function of our city government. Mayor Kilgore also presented our school with an official proclamation recognizing the accomplishments of our 3 consecutive NCCSA State Championship boys basketball teams.
I, Bobby G. Kilgore, by the virtue of the authority vested in me as Mayor of the City of Monroe, do hereby proclaim the Shining Light Baptist Academy’s Royal Crusaders Basketball Team a vital part of the City of Monroe community...
–Read more of the Mayor’s official proclamation & our teams’ accomplishments at royalcrusaders.com/mayorkilgore.html
Fine Arts f
Over 40 students participated in various categories of Fine Arts this year, including art, Bible, music, spelling, poetry & preaching!
Cierra Farinelli(woodwind solo)
Ella Edwards (oral poetry interpretation)
Charity Shearin (piano solo)
Andrew Henegar (spelling)
Taylor Weber (vocal solo)
Diamond Johnson (Sr. High spelling) Cody Kelley (essay)
2 PLACE: nd
Amit Kohli (Jr. High spelling)
David Dimov (string solo) David Dimov & Abrielle Voncannon (instrumental ensemble) Faith Haren (monochromatic drawing) Diamond Johnson (digital media) Hannah Shirhall (poetry)
NCCSA 2009-1A, 2010-1A, 2011-2A Boys Basketball State Champions, 2009 Brass National Champion, & 2009 Junior High Vocal Solo Champion
home of the
royalcrusaders.com | 2
Staff Spotlight Alumnus Aaron Cruse has returned to teach at SLBA! He is a graduate of The Crown College with a Bachelors Degree in Secondary Education. He and Alycia (Paquette) were married on May 12, 2012. Aaron will be teaching in the senior high, and Alycia will be teaching 5th grade.
Preparing Your Children for a Great School Year
by Dr. Paul Chappell 1. Begin praying for your studentâ€™s teachers and classmates.
6. Establish a healthy diet and regular meal patterns.
2. Begin weaning your student off excessive television and social media.
7. Shop for school supplies.
3. Have your student read a good book.
8. Prepare school clothes.
4. Schedule your student to go to bed at a regular, healthy time.
9. Begin praying that your student will grow spiritually through this school year.
5. Begin getting your student up at the time that will be normal for the school year.
10. Communicate questions or needs with the school office.
3 | royalcrusaders.com
SPANISH TEACHER Ronald Reynoso & wife, Mariela Spanish lessons are available to our students, and we offer classes in English as a second language to our community as well.
Parents Make A Huge Difference
Fall BBQ Fundraiser
The students are ecstatic about this new addition to our campus – and so are the parents! Thank you to all who helped with our spring fundraiser to make this playground a reality!
Friday, October 19th – Plan to participate in this annual event to raise money for the purchase of a new travel bus for our student field trips and ball games.
Our children are so thrilled to have the new playground equipment to play on. We are certain that it will bring many hours of enjoyment for our children for years to come. Thank you so much to all who have made this blessing possible for not only our children, but for all children.”
– Ray & Candy Marchand, children in 4th & 6th grades
“ ” My wife and I continue to be pleased with Shining Light and the progress we see in our children. – Stacey & Ramona Henegar, children in 1st & 4th grades
Proceeds from this fundraiser will go toward new soccer and ball fields – tall field light poles and fixtures have already been donated!
Let Us Know! You can help our school by letting us know if you have contacts for additional computer and/or science lab equipment, or other fundraising ideas. Please call the office at 704-283-1480. Sharon Blackmon, a parent with 3 children in our Academy, will serve as our Event & Fundraiser Coordinator for the new school year. royalcrusaders.com | 4
- An Amazing Story Shining Light Baptist Academy (K2-12) started on August 28, 2000. We have prayed for 12 years that God would help us provide a gymnasium for our students. We have made the best of our situation through the years by renting or borrowing different gyms. Actual floor, goals, & bleachers We have also used our outdoor basketball court for practices. All the while, we have developed 3 State Championship winning teams (NCCSA 2009-1A, 20101A, 2011-2A). The building we presently use for our church services was designed in 1991 to eventually be converted to a gymnasium. All we needed was a floor, bleachers and goals. As we prayed about this, God miraculously worked on our behalf! A man in our church has a friend who purchased a public high school campus in Nebraska. A local company there wants to lease the shop and gymnasium buildings to up-fit them for a major engineering project. Thus, the owner asked his friend from our church if our school would be interested in the hardwood floor, bleachers, goals, AND scoreboards (valued at well over $200,000)! Knowing this had to be an answer to prayer, we said, “YES!”. We found from the original architectural drawings that the gym dimensions in Nebraska are the EXACT same dimensions of our gym area’s original design – same size and same layout. As God gave Moses the specific dimensions for the Tabernacle and King David for the Temple, God knew in advance how this floor would be used in His work and prepared it specifically for us! Proposed new design
5 | royalcrusaders.com
Would you consider helping our school take advantage of this providential opportunity?
Invest in Eternity
ctural r e
ndering We are estimating that it will cost approximately $100,000 to up-fit our of new front ex terior present building to an Athletic and Event Gymnatorium. This equipment could be made available to us as soon as mid-August. (An additional $22,000 has already been committed up-front to have the equipment and gym floor removed properly so it can be reinstalled in our building.)
Equipment transport......................................................................................................$7,500 Hardwood floor installation & refinishing................................................................$28,800 Equipment installation..................................................................................................$5,000 Locker/weight rooms (weights donated)......................................................................$5,000 Main hallways / lobby / concessions / reconstruction...............................................$10,000 New front exterior on metal building.........................................................................$32,500 Unexpected Cost Margin (10%)...................................................................................$8,800
_______________ Total: $97,600
Leave A Legacy G O O D LY H E R I TAG E F O U N D AT I O N “...yea, I have a goodly heritage.” Psalm 16:6 If God would lead you to cover the entire cost, we would like to name the building in honour of your family or in memory of a loved one, and designate it on a nice plaque in our lobby. It would serve as our way of perpetual thanksgiving and a lasting legacy for your family. Other contribution level designations will be recognized on our beautiful Wall of Faith in our new lobby: • Legacy Club | $25,000+
• Lighthouse Club | $1,000+
• Heritage Club | $10,000+
• Foundation Club | $500+
• Crown Club | $5,000+ All gifts are tax-deductible and will be receipted. Checks should be made payable to Shining Light Baptist Academy and sent to: 2541 Old Charlotte Highway, Monroe, NC 28110 You may also give online at royalcrusaders.com. For questions, please call our Academy office at 704-283-1480.
A Gift So Meaningful to So Many for So Long – Thank You! royalcrusaders.com | 6
Gearing Up For Record Enrollment
Summertime is a time of reflection and preparation. We look back over the past school year and look for ways to improve the educational experience of our students for the upcoming 2012-2013 school year. As we work on our curriculum, scheduling, processing new applications and budget, we are zeroing in on capital improvement projects that are truly needed. In addition to a new gym, we must provide more classroom space.
Our new elementary building will provide 5 spacious, new classrooms, a computer library, a multifunctional reception area, and a picnic shelter. The exterior of the building is nearly complete. We just need to finish the interior wiring, insulation, sheetrock and flooring (rough plumbing is complete and two 5 ton heat pumps have been donated). Cost estimate to finish and furnish is approximately $40,000. Please
Scholarship Fund Shining Light Baptist Academy is committed to making a quality Christian education available to everyone who shares our values and desire to prepare their children for life. Because our school is tuitionfunded, you can help provide scholarships to qualifying families. Please call the school office at 704-283-1480 for information on 7 | royalcrusaders.com
establishing a one-time or annual needs and/or merit scholarship in honor or memory of someone, or in your family’s name.
prayerfully consider making a taxdeductible donation toward the completion of this much needed expansion. Gifts can be sent to: 2541 Old Charlotte Highway Monroe, NC 28110
The Shining Light Education Family • Shining Lights Preschool Ages 2-4 • Shining Light Baptist Academy K5-12 • Shining Light Homeschool Fellowship • Before & After School Care • Academy of Music & Tutoring • Fresh Start Academy • International Language School • Carolinas Bible Institute More information is available by calling 704-283-1480 or visiting royalcrusaders.com
Choosing To Shine
“ ” I enjoyed volunteering at the community shelter because it was an opportunity to help those who are less fortunate. It made me thankful for what I have! – Grace Newberry, rising sophomore
During the summer months, Shining Light students have been busy reaching out to others in neighborhood and backyard Bible clubs, nursing homes, community shelters, summer camps, Sunday Schools, and other avenues of Christian service.
Shining Light staff member, Wes Rigdon serves as chaplain to the North Carolina Highway Patrol. We were privileged to be a blessing to them by hosting an Independence Day Cookout at our local troop office!
Alumni Summer Internships
Shining Light Hosts Job Fair Having a desire to reach out to our community during difficult economic times, we had the opportunity to host a job fair this summer for a local company.
Class of 2009 | England
Wacky Water Week
Class of 2010 | Nova Scotia
Dry Fork Christian Camp is a ministry of Shining Light. Here are a couple of highlights from this summer’s Junior Day Camp:
Class of 2009 | Montana
Class of 2011 | Texas
After-School Care Starting this fall, Shining Light will be offering after-school care for K5-5th grade children from:
• Sardis Elementary
• East Elementary
• Shiloh Elementary
• Benton Heights Elementary
• Stallings Elementary • Sun Valley Elementary • Walter Bickett Elementary
Please call the Academy office at 704-283-1480 for more information.
royalcrusaders.com | 8
Shining Light Baptist Academy not only uses classroom instruction to teach character qualities, but we also use extracurricular tools such as athletics and fine arts to instill such traits as preparation, hard work, teamwork, integrity, diligence, dependability,
thoroughness, learning from mistakes, attention to detail, taking the high road, going the extra mile and the pursuit of excellence. Our Leadership Lecture Series features people from our community who serve in government, business and ministry.
We also offer individual instrumental and academic instruction through The Academy of Music & Tutoring – you can register your child at royalcrusaders.com.
Winning At Life The Monroe Athletic Club offers seasonal sports leagues for all ages including baseball, softball, basketball and soccer. Our motto is: Integrity – Respect – Discipline – Confidence – Teamwork
9 | royalcrusaders.com
Our graduates have gone on to further their education at: •
Crown College, Pensacola Christian College & West Coast Baptist College •
UNIVERSITIES Bob Jones University, The University of North Carolina at Charlotte & Wingate University
Central Piedmont, South Piedmont & Stanley Community Colleges
THE UNITED STATES MILITARY The Marine Corps
“We want our students to learn to think for themselves, to be real and to be free.”
• Founded in August, 2000 • Grades K2 – 12 • Internationally Acclaimed A Beka Curriculum • Tuition financed • Academic Preschool • Chapel Services & Bible Classes • Weekly Christian Service Opportunities • Secondary Sports Program • Annual Fine Arts Competition • Piano and Instrument Instruction • Summer Learning Program • Computer Classes • Dedicated teachers who are active members of the local church
“...at Shining Light, children are cherished...” – Elmer & Alyce Elliot (retired public school teachers & members of SLBC)
• School board consists of the deacons of the church • Member of North Carolina Christian School Association • Registered with the North Carolina Department of Non-Public Education • Exceeds the State of North Carolina Graduation Requirements • Voluntary process of accreditation with American Association of Christian Schools begun • 72-acre developing campus • Future expansion includes new Classroom Building, Athletic and Events Center, and new ball fields
royalcrusaders.com | 10
Shining Lights Preschool
Artwork by rising senior Faith Haren
â€œthis little light of mineâ€?
now enrolling 2-4 year olds! Shining Light Baptist Academy 2541 Old Charlotte Hwy. Monroe, NC 28110 704.283.1480 royalcrusaders.com return service requested
Non-Profit Org. U.S. Postage Paid Monroe, NC Permit No. 1