Around the World in a Day Creating Brighter Futures for Young People Registered Charity No. 1084220 (England and Wales) 038995â€ˆ (Scotland)
We did it! One World, One Team
Edition 69 - July 2014
Around the World in a Day 2014 One World, One Team From 22nd to 28th June, HCF’s annual fundraiser Around the World in a Day took place once again. 114 hotels in 20 countries, across all brands of the Hilton Worldwide portfolio, took part in events over the course of this exciting week. Thanks to the kilometres collected by our intrepid volunteers, they have taken us 59,939kms – or 1.49 times around the world! If we start from the Greenwich meridian, that takes us all the way around the world and then halfway round again, to just off the coast of Christchurch, New Zealand. The event theme of ‘One World One Team’ was very much taken to heart as team members and community members joined forces to raise funds and collect kilometres. Throughout the week, news flooded in of hotels and local charity partners from all over Europe working together to create brighter futures for young people in thier communities. From Aberdeen to Ankara, from Dubai to Copenhagen, in multiple languages, in weather ranging from drizzle and mist to blue skies and sunshine, Hilton Worldwide team members united to demonstrate their commitment to their communities. HCF were thrilled to be a part of this amazing team, and we hope this special issue will succeed in conveying a flavour of the inspirational events created by team members to benefit local young people. In this issue you will read about Dance-a-thons, Fun Runs, cycle rides and triathlons, car washes, bake sales, and hula-hoops; mountain-climbing and pie-throwing; as well as candle-light swims and colourful fancy-dress You will also read about some of HCF’s charity partners who will benefit from Around the World in a Day, and who carry out such inspiring work with the young people in their local areas. We hope you enjoy reading this edition as much as we have enjoyed putting it together, and we would like to offer a huge thank you to everyone who has contributed to the success of this year’s campaign. We would also like to thank our generous sponsors and suppliers, in particular the Hilton Hotels & Resorts brand team.
Thank you for your support!
Charity profile Hilton Copenhagen Airport raised funds for Allehelgens og Sundkirkens Sognes Menighedspleje through their AWD fun day event. The charity offers support for local families, such as a monthly food club for single parent families, as well as yearly outings to the countryside for them and their children. The food banks offer a lifeline for families struggling to support themselves, and the outings are a welcome respite and provide families with the memories and confidence to help support themselves in their daily lives. HCF has made grants to Allehelgens og Sundkirkens Sognes Menighedspleje totalling ÂŁ3,453 since 2013.
1. Hilton Aberdeen TreeTops supported Befriend a Child by organising a walk through Aberdeen city centre from the charity offices to the hotel. 2. Hilton Manchester Airport supported their charity partner by holding an old-fashioned School Sports Day, complete with sack races and hula-hooping. 3. Hilton Basingstoke supported Around the World in a Day by holding a week of general merriment. The hotel saw car washes, a bake sale, a Book and DVD sale, and a day of Rounders and clocking up kilometres on exercise equipment. 4. Hilton Copenhagen Airport supported Allehelgens og Sundkirkens Sognes Menighedspleje by hosting a fun day, at the front of the hotel for the local community. Participants took part in a run to help collect KMs and the hotel were supported by many local businesses including bObbles 5. Hilton Diagonal Mar Barcelona supported Fundacio Trinijove by walking along the coast of Barcelona with team members, family and friends. The team had a fantastic day. 6. Hilton Innsbruck supported Volkshilfe Tirol and Bruderschaft St Christoph by having approximately 25 runners take part in a run, followed by a BBQ to feed all runners and to celebrate their success. 7. Ankara HiltonSA supported Ă‡ankaya Municipality Directorate of Social Services by coming together as a team and running on the treadmill. As part of their day the team also sold hand crafted toys made by the children from the charity.
Jamie Stevens, Hilton Garden Inn Glasgow: “Tough Mudder was a challenge that tested not only the body but mind as well. We got through it as a team.”
Originally an idea that came out of our Champions Workshop, AWD has grown bigger and better with every year, with more hotels and more countries stepping up to the challenge of collecting kilometres to benefit young people in communities across Europe. Since the event was first held in 2008, it has raised £621,434 in total, benefitting 132,271 young people in 20 countries across Europe. Past beneficiaries have included Special Olympics Deutschland, Irish Autism Action, Artists for Kids GmBH, Les P’tits Craks, Stichting Heppie, and Tereza Maxova Foundation, and Association REVES. Our Champions work hard to identify local causes which will benefit the most from Around the World in a Day’s fundraising, and this year has been no exception.
Simon Sheehan, Director of HCF, said, “We are proud to support such a wide array of organisations benefitting the education and well-being of young people in our local communities. The dedication of our volunteers never fails to impress as they seek out the very best causes to answer local need, and we were delighted to support them in their commitment to their communities. We would like to thank every single person who attended, participated or donated to Around the World in Day, as your time, efforts and funds will make a real and practical difference to young people.” 8.Hilton Bristol successfully defended their title as Champions of the Bradley Stoke Bed Race. They also held ‘Tour de Bristol’ where teams on exercise bikes competed against each other over 9-hour periods. The team clocked up 690km, the equivalent of Bristol to Paris. 9. Hilton Vilamoura, As Cascatas Golf Resort and Spa supported Centro Bern-Estar Social Nossa Senhora de Fátima de Olhão by hosting a spin-a-thon and a Zumba-a-thon. During the virtual spin-a-thon the team made it from Vilamoura to Barcelona. Whilst the adults were spinning and dancing the children had lots of fun in their special play area. 10. Hilton Prague and Hilton Prague Old Town supported Tereza Maxova Foundation by creating an open fitness centre with activities such as running and yoga. Many team memebers added KMs by walking into work that day - a great and easy idea. 11. Hilton Garden Inn Glasgow City Centre supported Kidney Research by competing in Tough Mudder - including Hotel Manager Jamie Stevens, just before he went on honeymoon! Team members also raced laps along Bells and Squinty Bridges in Glasgow to collect kilometres.
Ingela Kyri Grupe, Hilton Dubai Jumeirah Resort: “We organised the first Hilton Olympics, and organised a Fun Run and four different games (Tandem Long Jump, Hoola Hoop Run, Bike Sprint, and Team Sack Race) with lots of laughter and falls. With such an active participation, we were able to collect total of 103.2kms!”
Charity profile Hilton London Kensington and Hilton London Green Park’s AWD fundraising will support the work of Rugby Portobello Trust. The Trust works with disadvantaged young people from the borough of Kensington and Chelsea to increase their skills, confidence and opportunities by offering support, facilities and guidance. HCF has made grants to RPT totalling £35,643 since 2006.
Fausto Ciarcia, Waldorf Astoria Rome Cavalieri: “The participants enjoyed a marvellous sunny day in one of the most beautiful park in Rome; the park path was challenging as it was designed by professional runners supporting us in the organization.”
12. Hilton London Kensington supported Rugby Portobello Trust by organising a 21.6km walk from Hilton London Syon Park to Hilton London Canary Wharf for team members and representatives from the charity, dropping in at 12 hotels along the way. 13. Hilton Budapest City supported Around the World in a Day by utilising their newly refurbished fitness centre with its equipment to collect KMs. 14. Hilton Dubai Jumeirah supported National Charity School Garhoud by hosting their own ‘Hilton Olympics’ including events such as Long jump and Hula Hooping! 15. DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly set up exercise equipment on the hotel terrace and competed against each other to collect kilometres. They were joined by team members, guests, and people from the neighbouring offices. 16. Hilton London Euston supported Christopher Place by holding a Staff Party and organising a dance-off. 17. Waldorf Astoria Rome Cavalieri supported Fondazione Bambina Gesu’ by taking part in a 5k cross country run, they had 100 people take part in the event with them.
Charity profile Hilton Birmingham Metropole raised funds for HCF’s partner Molly Olly’s Wishes, a charity which aims to support emotionally, and financially where appropriate, the lives of children with terminal or life threatening illnesses throughout The Midlands and the UK. This help may be in the form of equipment, complementary alternative treatment, or even organising a special occasion for a child that would otherwise be isolated from every day events due to the restrictions of their illness. The charity also offers support to children while in hospital, to try and alleviate the fear, boredom and isolation that can result from hospital visits.
Daniela Öhman, Hilton Stockholm Slussen: “We had a fantastic day with sunshine and blue skies! The whole day exceeded our expectations and our bikes were in used constantly. In fact most of us from Hilton didn’t bike because the people passing by were so eager that we didn’t want to take time away from them.” 18. Hilton Antwerp supported Kom up Tegen Kanker by hosting their second Around the World in Day quiz 19. DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre supported the Archie Foundation by holding a cycle challenge in the hotel lobby, complete with the Archie mascot. 20. Hilton Garden Inn Krakow supported Fundacja Między Niebem a Ziemią by various activities including kayaking, roller skating running and cycling, a great event that took place all week allowing teams to participate when they were able to. 21. Hilton Sheffield, Hilton Leeds City, Hilton York and Hilton Manchester Airport all took part in the Northern Region Cluster Bike Ride, with each member cycling 79 miles in one day. 22. Cadogan Square organised a Fun Day Fete for team members to collect kilometres and raise funds, including skipping and hula-hooping, followed by a party for the team. 23. Hilton Birmingham Metropole supported Molly Olly’s Wishes by holding a series of 8-hour Team Challenge style competitions on exercise equipment, as well as a Fun Walk accompanied by the Gruffalo. Team members also successfully completed the Three Peaks Challenge.
Ana Cardeira, Conrad Algarve: “Overall it was a great initiative with the commitment of every team member and local sponsors that allowed us to collect 2400 kilometres and €1,306 in donations to help the children in need in the Algarve. We will raise the bar for 2015!”
29 Natalia Dera: “15 teams, 600 kilometres and around 200 burgers – this is what it took to organize Around the World in a Day at Hilton Warsaw Hotel & Convention Centre!”
24. Hilton Manchester Deansgate organised a tower race for staff and competed on exercise equipment in the lobby. They also collected steps from guests by placing a footprint cutout on the floor outside the restaurant. Finally, team members also took part in a Colour Run. 25. Hilton Stockholm Slussen supported Maskrsobarn by setting themselves a biking challenge. Six cycles were set up in a square by the hotel and the team aimed to collect 1000KMs in a day, and they did, actually they collected more. 26. Hilton Berlin supported Die Arche e.V., Berlin-Hellersdorf by getting on their exercise bikes, treadmills and cycles. A team member even took part in Berlins AWD by getting on her bike in Abu Dhabi whilst on holiday to help collect some KMs. 27. Hilton Dublin Airport supported Heart Children Ireland by organising a walk along the loop of Howth in the countryside surrounding Dublin. 28. Conrad Algarve supported ACCA by hosting a 2hr zumb-a-thon and bike-a-thon with more than 60 members, biking across the Algarve. 29. Hilton Cardiff supported CHAMPS by holding a Cardiff Cycle Trail, a Department Cycle Challenge and an Egg & Spoon Race. 30. Team members from DoubleTree by Hilton Dublin - Burlington Road supported Heart Children Ireland by holding a cycle challenge and bucket collection in local Dundrum Shopping Centre. 31. Hilton Warsaw Hotel & Convention Centre supported Stowarzyszenie Klara Power by hosting a city wide Treasure hunt. Members had to make their way around the city visiting 6 landmarks before returning back to the hotel.
34 Judit Nagy, Hilton Budapest: “This year we united our strength with UNICEF and invited 240 key clients to an entertaining “family picnic” in the hotel. Thanks to our dedicated Management, volunteers, business partners, and F&B staff, our second Around the World in a Day was wonderful.”
Ricardo Jardim, DoubleTree by Hilton Lisbon – Fontana Park: “We did a Dance-a-Thon, 6 hours dancing several types of rhythms like Tango, Salsa, Hip Hop, and Broadway Show. It was amazing with team members from several departments and other participants, among them were 10 people from our local dance academy as well as some children from our charity partner – RAIZES - a Child and Youth Care Association.” 32. DoubleTree by Hilton Lisbon - Fontana Park supported Raizes for Around the World in a Day. Team members from across the hotel took part in a 6hr dance-a-thon!.The team were joined by a local dance company and children from the charity. 33.Conrad Dublin supported Heart Children Ireland by participating in a 5K run around Phoenix Park in Dublin organised by the Irish Prison Service. 34 DoubleTree by Hilton Chester supported Emily Ffion Trust and the Baby Grow Appeal by setting up exercise bikes in the hotel lobby and getting team members to take turns throughout the day to clock up kilometres. 35. DoubleTree by Hilton Tower of London set up exercise bikes in the lobby and aimed to cycle the length of the Thames while looking rather fabulous - and exceeded their target. 36. Hilton Avisford Park, Arundel supported Friends of Yapton School by hosting a summer Fete for the school’s children and parents in the hotel grounds. Team members also competed on exercise equipment to collect the most kilometres. 37. Hilton Basel supported Special Olympics Switzerland by organising a treasure hunt around Basel for team members, family, friends and business partners. 38. Hilton Budapest supported UNICEF by hosting a family picnic in their ballroom due to weather. Participants walked around the hotell and took part in various activities to collect KMs.
Charity profile Reaching Higher is a charity based in Croydon which challenges young people to be the leaders of their own lives. Having grown from a small local church group, the organisation inspires young people through creative arts, residential camps, sports and seminars, and encourages them to take charge of their own lives and to become active, engaged leaders among their peers and communities. HCF has supported their work with grants totalling £16, 544 thanks to nominations by Hilton Croydon.
Thank you! HCF would like to thank the following companies who have so generously supported Around the World in a Day at local events throughout Europe, helping us to raise more funds to support the education and well-being of young people: AIDOS Andy Reeves Ballonger & Sånt BHP International BNP Paribas Cardif
Bogdan Tomov Bulgaria Mall Bulgarian National Radio bObbles CIBANK
CLEVES Concept Träningsredskap DB Schenker DOTEL DRAG Bicycles
EURODESIGN IOW Tours Landmark Ltd. Loka Lufthansa Technik Sofia
Special Events Group Strathmore Water Studio Q
Have we missed you? Please let us know and we would be delighted to thank you in our next issue of Highlights. 39. Hilton Birmingham Bromsgrove supported Stroke Association by holding a week of gruelling challenges, including a walk up Snowden, a 70-mile cycle to work, team members taking part in a triathlon and a single team member running seven marathons in seven days. 40. Hilton Blackpool supported Positive Youth Trust by a variety of activities, including a candle-light swim, 2 Lancashire Marathons, a Dance-a-thon, and by holding a raffle and tombola. 41. Hilton Cobham supported Jigsaw School by cycling 258 kms without leaving the hotel. 42. Hilton Croydon supported Reaching Higher by holding a Fun Day for the local community in the hotel grounds with stalls and a bouncy castle. They also held an 8-hour competition where team members and representatives from the charity competed against each other on exercise equipment. The water for this event was generously sponsored by Strathmore Water. 43. Hilton Dublin supported Heart Children Ireland by holding a sponsored cycle along Dublin Canal. 44. Hilton Dunkeld House supported The Dunkeld and Birnam Events Group by holding a 24-hour Bike Challenge.
46 Susan Semak, Hilton Leicester: “We had more team members involved than ever before, and those who were not taking part gave incredible encouragement to the team members that were. A really great team spirit caring for each other and encouraging to achieve. What has been good days in the past was really great this time round. Thank you team for making it happen.”
45. Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor supported Radio Lollipop by holding a ‘onesie walk’ through Edinburgh city centre, all the way up to the top of local landmark Arthur’s Seat. 46. Hilton London Gatwick Airport supported Rockinghorse by setting up exercise equipment in the lobby, and the team made sure they were always in use. The team also held 2 Zumba classes and organised a football tournament. 47. Hilton London Canary Wharf supported Richard House Children’s Hospice by holding a rowing challenge, followed by a running challenge. The team also ran and cycled to work and held a bucket collection. 48. Hilton Leicester supported Wishes 4 Kids by cycling around Rutland Water Nature Reserve with friends and family. The team also set up exercise equipment in the lobby and competed against a team competing on the same equipment in Fosse Park. 49. Hilton Paris Orly Airport supported La Foundation Apprentis a’Auteuil by holding a bric-a-brac sale. 50. Hilton London Heathrow Airport supported Oaklands School by having team members compete on an exercise bike in the hotel lobby. The team also held a Fun Day and bucket collection on Saturday. 51. Hilton London Green Park, Hilton London Islington, Hilton London Docklands Riverside and Hilton London Hyde Park supported local charity partners by organising a selfie race. The cluster also held a fun day and picnic in Hyde Park, where members of the community also joined in the fun. 52. Hilton London Heathrow Airport Terminal 5 supported Colnbrook Primary by holding a Zumba class for the children at their school, as well as a few team members who couldn’t resist joining in. 53. Hilton Puckrup Hall supported Extreme Explorer Scout Group by holding a day of Hotel vs Scout competition. The hotel also invited the Scouts into the hotel to help out in the restaurant and to make a presentation to the team, and the Scouts even camped on the hotel grounds for a night.
54 Charity profile Amber helps disadvantaged young people to gain the motivation, confidence and skills they need to find and retain employment and
accommodation. Young people who come to Amber for help may be homeless, have misused drugs or alcohol, lack self-esteem, have no qualifications and low basic skills, or have been involved in crime or are ex-offenders. Amber’s residential centres offer these young people a fresh
56 Lizbeth La Bruna, Hilton Molino Stucy Venice: “It has been a beautiful day!”
start, meaning a chance to sort out problems, build self-confidence, gain practical skills and qualifications and generally acquire the know-how for independent living and work– and more than 81% go on to do so. HCF has supported Amber’s work with grants totaling £36,812, both through our Central Grants fund and through nominations by Hilton Swindon.
Mark Dixon, Hilton Swindon: “There were lots of aching and tired bodies in the hotel early part of the week and the main question when we returned to the hotel on Monday morning was: ‘What’s the 2015 challenge?’ Answers on a postcard please!” 54. Hilton Madrid Airport supported Federacion de Plataformas Sociales Pinardi by transforming their ballroom in to a fitness centre for the whole day. Sessions continued throughout the day to help collect KMs. 55. Hilton Swindon and Hilton Bath City joined forces to support Amber Foundation and Keynsham MENCAP respectively. Team members from both hotels completed a two-day Cycle Ride around the Isle of Wight. 56. Hilton Munich City and Munich Park supported Erziehungshilfezentrums Adelgundenheim by setting up 2 treadmills and 3 bikes in front of Hilton Munich City Hotel, the team from both hotels took turns on the machines between 10am and 7pm. 57. Hilton Nottingham supported Nottingham Hospital Charity by holding a gym equipment challenge for team members in the hotel. 58. Hilton Molino Stucky Venice supported A.P.S Communicare by taking a bike trip around their beautiful island.
Norbert Lessing, Hilton Vienna Cluster: “I can proudly announce that we had a fantastic Around the World in a Day event for all three Vienna properties. In total we came up with a distance of 3212 km and collected 15,897.55 Euros which will be donated to our charity partners. Further to this we also collected nearly 5k in form of sponsored goods. What a fantastic achievement! We are already now looking forward to next year’s AWD event.”
59. Hilton London Tower Bridge supported Mayor’s Fund for London by holding a cycling and rowing challenge in the hotel lobby. 60. Hilton St George’s Park held a Dance-a-thon and boogied their way Around the World. 61. Hilton London Paddington supported Friends of St Mary’s Hospital by holding a cycle challenge and a bucket collection in the hotel lobby. 62. Hilton Vienna Plaza, Hilton Vienna and Hilton Vienna Danube Waterfront supported Sterntalerhof and Debra Austria by taking part in various activities with more than 330 runners, skaters, walkers, biker, hikers and sports-mad participants working together to collect over 3000KMs. 63. London Hilton on Park Lane supported Unique - Rare Chromosome Disorder Support Group by participating in Holi and dancing their way Around the World. Team members also competed on equipment to help collect kilometres. 64. Hilton Maidstone supported Raiders United & Meningitis Trust by holding a football tournament at the home ground of Raiders United. The team also completed a rowing challenge to help clock up KMs. 65. Hilton Nuremberg supported Aufgefangen e.V. by hosting a walking tour. Team Members from Hilton, the charity and friends and family all took part in the day to collect KMs.
Charity profile The Cedar Foundation focuses on de-institutionalisation, and aims to render unnecessary large and impersonal institutions for children and young adults with physical and intellectual difficulty, replacing them with family-type community services. CEDAR runs residential centres with specialised treatment and support for children and young people with physical or emotional, and also works to promote social inclusion for disabled people in Bulgaria. The CEDAR has received £13,426 in grants from HCF after being nominated as a local partner by Hilton Sofia.
66. Hilton London Syon Park supported Brentford Community Sports Trust by holding a School Sports Day followed by a barbecue - complete with a Rap Battle between the GM and the C&E Ops Manager. 67. Hilton Leeds City also supported Martin House Children’s Hospice by holding bucket collections and competing on exercise equipment in the hotel lobby. 68. Hilton Newport supported Action for Children by holding an exhausting rowing competition in the hotel. Duty Managers also wore pedometers while on shift to help collect kilometres. 69. The team at Hilton Southampton hopped on their bikes and competed against each other to collect kilometres for AWD. 70. In addition to the cluster event, Hilton London Islington supported Islington Giving by joining the charity’s sponsored walk around Islington to help collect kilometres. 71. Hilton Coylumbridge supported Osprey Youth Netball Club by organising a walk in the surrounding countryside, followed by a BBQ back at the hotel. 72. Hilton Sofia supported CEDAR Foundation by running, bicycling and walking in the South Park. Many people from the local community took part in all the activities which include a DRAG bicycle challenge, table tennis and bouncy castle for kids.
Charity profile Stichting Heppie supports young people who are vulnerable or at risk of social exclusion, offering weekends and holidays designed to boost their self-esteem and
confidence, and to give them the opportunity to see a different future for themselves. By focusing on these young people as individuals and offering one-on-one support at ‘Hotel Heppie’, the young people gradually learn to build relationships, and these positive experiences have a huge impact on the rest of their lives. HCF has made grants to
Stichting Heppie totalling £13, 104 through our partnership with the Netherlands cluster.
Gergana Grigorova, Hilton Sofia: “We are proud to share that the creativity and passion of the Hilton Sofia team made our second edition of “Around the World in a Day” possible in Sofia! This year we were able to host overall 405 guests, 72 kids and gather 1826 km from bicycling, running and walking in the nearby park, aimed to support the CEDAR Foundation and we succeded by collecting 10,000 BGN.” 73. The Waldorf Hilton supported Barnado’s by holding a sponsored walk around the iconic sights of London. 74. Hilton Warwick/Stratfordupon-Avon supported Around the World in a Day by organising a car wash, a dance-a-thon, a cake sale, and a cycle challenge. 75. Hilton Royal Parc Soestduinen, Hilton Rotterdam, DoubleTree by Amsterdam Centraal Station, Hilton Schiphol Airport, Hilton Garden Inn Leiden and Hilton The Hague all worked together and supported Stichting Heppie by collecting KMs by warming up, cycling (inside and outside), running (inside and outside), cross training, dancing, egg race, abs training and rope jumping. Each hotel had a market stand to sell goods or F&B to raise money for the charity. 76. Hilton St Anne’s Manor supported Daisy’s Dream by having spin bikes going in the lobby throughout the day. 77. In addition to their cluster event, Hilton London Hyde Park also collected kilometres by holding a ‘selfie race’ around London, with team members stopping by as many tube stops as possible. 78. Hilton Reading supported Alexander Devine by holding a spin bike competition in the hotel lobby. They also baked HCF cupcakes.
81 Elsa Guerreiro, Hilton Vilamoura, As Cascatas Golf Resort & Spa: “We received very good feedback from the participants. They really enjoyed the event and are looking forward to next year! “
Charity profile Tiny Tim’s Children centre provides free therapies including physiotherapy for disabled children in the Midlnds region. Complex physical needs can lead to a wide range of secondary problems including joint problems, insomnia, stress, circulation problems and delay in social development, which holds back many people from reaching their full potentail. Thanks to the Centre’s treatment, the young people helped have a dramatic increase in their well-being and confidence, which has a huge impact on their development in other areas of their lives, such as their education and social skills. Tiny Tim’s children’s centre has received £8,000 from HCF, and will benefit from the funds raised by Hilton Coventry as a result of their Around the World in a Day event. 79. Hilton Strathclyde, DoubleTree by Hilton Dunblane Hydro and Hilton Glasgow Grosvenor joined forces to compete in their own Iron Man. This is a gruelling triathlon comprising a 2-mile swim at Hilton Glasgow followed by a 115-mile cycle to Ben Nevis and a run up to the summit of Ben Nevis and back down again - all completed with 14 hours. 80. Hilton Watford supported Friends of Colnbrook by holding a summer fete for the school in the hotel grounds, including a barbecue and a fun walk. Teams from the hotel also competed in cycle challenges to collect kilometres. 81. Team members at Hilton Newbury Centre and Hilton Newbury North organised a car wash, two aerobics classes, a walk and a BBQ. 82. Hilton Zurich Airport supported Tierlihof and Pilgerbrunnen Kinderheim by jogging, walking and biking despite the rain. 83. Waldorf Edinburgh - The Caledonian supported North Edinburgh Arts by holding a cycle challenge for team members. Members of the housekeeping department also wore pedometers while on shift to help collect kilometres. 84. Hilton Coventry supported Tiny Tim’s Children Centre by holding a walk and Fun Day for team members and the local community around the local sports ground. 85. The Trafalgar supported Youthnet by having an open-gym policy, and team members participated before and after their shifts to help collect kilometres.
Gloria Prescod, Hilton Croydon: “We have been lucky to have the opportunity to work with a charity full of young people very enthusiastic about our AWD event……looking forward to a bigger event next year. Well done to all participants for volunteering and helping raise money for the charity!” Other hotels that participated in Around the World in a Day include: DoubleTree by Hilton Bristol held a bike ride around Bristol for 20 team members. Hilton East Midlands Airport supported Alex’s Wish by holding a Race Night at the hotel for friends and family. Hilton London Metropole held a team member Football Tournament in the park. Team members at Hilton London Wembley held a friendly football match, and also completed laps of Wembley Stadium and competed on exercise equipment. Hilton Lyon supported Le Prado by hosting a variety of activities including a fun run with team members dressed in funny costumes, and world cup football tournament. Hilton Northampton supported Autism Concern by holding a 12-hour gym equipment challenge and a bake sale. Hilton Paris La Défense supported Graine de Mil by a week long of activities, tam mebers took part in different activites throughout the week to help collect KMs. As well as participating in Iron Man, the team at Hilton Strathclyde competed throughout the day on exercise equipment and held gruelling spin classes. Hilton Templepatrick supported The Donkey Sanctuary’s work with disabled children by a organising a 10K walk and fun run with their charity partner and members of the local community.
86. Hilton Bonn supported Dr. Ehmann Kinderhaus. By taking part in a 5-10Km run, not only that but the hotel hosted a market to help raise some extra funds for their charity. 87. Hilton London Stansted Airport supported Panathlon Foundation by helping local schools to collect kilometres. They also raised money by holding a ‘Hit-the-HOD-with-a-Pie’ event and GM Robert Watt took part in an aqua aerobics class
Around the World in a Day 2014 Awards This year, thanks to generous sponsorship from Hilton Hotels & Resorts, HCF has been able to recognise the hard work and commitment put in by each hotel, with an award either in the form of a donation to the hotel’s charity partner or to be used to celebrate the team’s efforts. All 152 events were fantastic and we received 62 nominations for awards. We found it a huge struggle to decide on the winners, as each event was unique and demonstrated outstanding commitment to creating brighter futures. After much discussion, we have selected the following hotels to be recognised for their outstanding events. Congratulations to the successful hotels, and thank you to all hotels who took the time to participate!
Highest Percentage of Youth Engagement This award celebrates the hotels who involved the highest percentage of young people under 25 in their AWD events.
1st Place: £200 Hilton London Heathrow Terminal 5
Hilton London Heathrow T5 held a Zumba class with charity partner Colnbrook School. 89% of their event participants were young people
2nd Place: £100 Hilton Basel
3rd Place : £50 Hilton Croydon
Hilton Basel held a treasure hunt through the city. Their event had 81% percentage of youth participation.
Hilton Croydon held a community Fun Day attended by team members, guests, charity partners and members of the community. 71% of their participants were under 25.
Around the World in a Day 2014 Awards Highest Fundraising This award celebrates the hotels who raised the highest amount for their locally nominated charity partner.
1st Place: £200 Hilton Vienna, Hilton Vienna Plaza, Hilton Vienna Danube Waterfront
Hilton Vienna, Hilton Vienna Danube Waterfront and Hilton Vienna Plaza raised a whopping £4,415 per hotel with their Fun Day for charity partners Sterntalerhof and DEBRA Austria.
2nd Place: £100 Hilton Birmingham Metropole
Hilton Birmingham Metropole held a series of events including a Three Peaks Challenge, a Coast to Coast Cycle, an 8-hour bike challenge, and a Fun Day. As well as topping the kilometre leaderboard with 4,275kms they also raised over £4,000 for charity partner Molly Olly’s Wishes.
3rd Place: £50 Hilton Sofia
Thanks to a community Fun Day involving a Petanque tournament, a 12-km Bike Challenge, and a bouncy castle, which was well supported by team members, guests, local sponsors and community members alike, Hilton Sofia raised a fantastic £3,120 for the CEDAR Foundation.
Around the World in a Day 2014 Awards Most Innovative Event This award celebrates the hotels who held an event which was new, unexpected, or particularly creative in how it collected kilometres and encouraged fundraising.
1st Place: £200 Hilton Basel
2nd Place: £100 Hilton Birmingham Bromsgrove
Hilton Birmingham Bromsgrove held a series of events to raise funds, including a walk up Snowdon, a Cycle to Stoke event and a bike marathon. However, HCF were particularly impressed with team member Scott who ran 7 marathons in 7 days - totalling 295.3kms.
3rd Place: £50 Hilton Garden Inn Krakow
Hilton Basel held a Treasure Hunt in Basel. The first event of its kind in Basel, it was extremely well-orgnaised, with participants having to carry out a series of challenges and to analyse some fairly devious clues. Even the organisers had to anazlyse the answers to find the winner.
The team at Hilton Garden Inn Krakow also held various activites for Around the World in a Day, including a treadmill in the lobby and a running and cycling competition. Their event mixed up the traditional sports with more unusual sports, including a kayak race and roller-skating race.
Around the World in a Day 2014 Awards Best Charity Partnership Best Charity Partnership recognises hotels who demonstrated a close working partnership with their charity partner before, during and after their event.
1st Place: £200 DoubleTree by Hilton Lisbon - Fontana Park
DoubleTree by Hilton Lisbon - Fontana Park worked with Raizes, an organisation which works to promote the inclusion of children and young people without family support and vulnerable to risk. The charity was very active in promoting the event beforehand, attended with representatives and service users who also made a film on the day, and also stepped in to provide administrative support of donations and thanking supporters after the event.
2nd Place: £100 Hilton Garden Inn Glasgow
Hilton Garden Inn Glasgow City Centre worked with Kidney Research. In the run up to the event, the charity kept up regular contact and gave their free time to help prepare for AWD. They also provided AV equipment, raffle tickets, an MC for the night and an event schedule, as well as inviting representatives and service users from the charity to attend and to speak about their experiences.
3rd Place: £50 Hilton Copenhagen Airport
Hilton Copenhagen Airport began working with charity partner Allehelgens og Sundkirkens Sognes Menighedspleje on AWD in January. They provided a team of girl scouts to cheer and to help with the logisitcs of the day, particularly looking after the tents. They also brought 40 guests and took a very proactive role in selling tickets and promoting the event.
Around the World in a Day 2014 Awards Best Photo Caption We originally thought that this award should celebrate the best photo and caption posted on H360, but after looking at all the excellent articles posted by the hotels we couldnâ€™t pick a winner. Each of the hotels named below will win ÂŁ50 - a huge thank you to everyone for your creative and witty articles.
Hitlon Munich Park and Hilton Munich City - Click here
Hilton Warsaw Hotel & Convention Centre - Click here
Hilton Swindon - Click here
Hilton Vilamoura, As Cascatas Golf Resort and Spa Click here
Hilton Prague & Hilton Prague Old Town - Click here
London Hilton on Park Lane - Click here
Hilton London Hyde Park - Click here
Around the World in a Day 2014 Awards Wild Card The Wild Card award was an opportunity for hotels to nominate themselves for what they thought most stood out from their event. This could be for anything at all for example - teamwork, a particularly well-orgniseed event, a particular team member who went above and beyond. We saw some fantastic reasons in this section, and in the end we decided to award ÂŁ50 to each of the following hotels.
Hilton Ankara SA
In addition to the Blue Energy Committee, team members from Hilton Ankara SA volunteered before and after their shifts to ensure the eventâ€™s success. The event had 540 participants and was covered by three national newpapers in Turkey, leading to increased awareness both of the hotel and of of their charity partner CACOY.
After some last minute cancellations, team memebers at Hilton Croydon stepped up to fill the gaps to ensure that all the planned competitions could take place as intended. Demonstrating outstanding commitment to the charity, 2 team members, Rares and Zoltan, also completed an 8-hour runnng challenge before going on to complete a full night shift.
Hilton Leeds City
A very small hotel, Hilton Innsbruck participated in AWD for the first time in 2014 and drew in team members from all departments, with full support from their HODs and GM Torsten Weller. Event organiser Sabrina Zweifler also invested 60 hours of her own full time in planning and organising this fun and unique event.
In addition to organising the North Region Cksuter Bike Ride, Hilton Leeds City also held an 8 hour cycliing competition. Due to a traffic accident, the roads around the hotel were closed and team members found it hard to reach the hotel in time for their shift. 4 team members kept cycling for hours to ensure that the competition could still go ahead until their colleagues were able to arrive and take over.
Around the World in a Day 2014 Awards Wild Card: Continued Hilton London Kensington
Hilton St George’s Park
Team members at Hilton St George’s Park were so enthusiastic about their dance-a-thon that they ended up with blisters! In addition, team members who weren’t able to attend the event itself gave up their breaks and arrived early or stayed late to participate and support their colleagues.
Hilton Stockholm Slussen
Hilton London Kensington completely re-vamped their Around the Around the World in a Day, and instituted a fantastic promotion scheme among team members, where everyone who participated or donated took a selfie in a blue wig. As well as generating fantastic pictures, this also led to an increase in participants and donations!
Hilton Stockholm Slussen spent three months planning their event, including extensive liaison with the local council over use of public space. The team also sourced extensive sponsorship from local suppliers, leading to a massive boost to their fundraising.
Thank you for helping HCF to create brighter futures - see you all at Around the World in a Day 2015!