Page 1

A03 STUDIO JOURNAL Sierra Stathis 640338


This weeks tutorial we discussed the concept of compression. The challenge was to build the highest structure using only small mdf bricks. Once we had build out structure we had to carefully excavate an opening to fit in the toy elephant. The aim was to create the opening without the structure collapsing. Our tower was a three sided structure. Using a simple brick laying construction. The weight of the structure and force of compression helped to hold all the blocks together.

WEEK 1

Compression


When we began to create the opening we decided to start excavation from the corners carefully pulling blocks out one by one. We soon realised that the structure was quite solid and that it could easily support itself even when many base blocks were removed. The reason this construction style is so successful is that the load is evenly distributed across the blocks. Even when blocks are removed the weight gets distributed elsewhere. This makes the structure very stable even when base supports are removed.

Other structures included a cylindrical tower which was the tallest in the class. It too supported itself when an opening was excavated.

WEEK 1

Compression


We decided to construct our frame using a triangular prism shape. Similar to the structure we built last week. Our plan was to build it on the ground first and then lift it up. This weeks class activity was building a structure using a frame technique. Using the balsa wood cut up from last week, we had to construct a structure using only super glue to join the wood. As we learnt from this week’s lectures, frame structures are very efficitent building technique as it is quick, strong and has good tensile strength. The super glue was difficult to use as it had the tendency to stick to everything but the wood!

WEEK 2 Frame


Our structure was designed on having a main 3 frame structure with support beams placed about 30 cm along the length. At the top we tapered the tower in and joined it to a point to give the structure more stability.

Our original design idea

Although the balsa wood was a good light weight material, it was very brittle and often broke causing difficulty. We eventually lifted our structure up. The problem we had was that the structure wasn’t in proportion to its height. We made the base much too narrow and so we had to add extra scaffolding to hold it up. We did reach roof height which was an achievement although I don’t think you could say that it was a quality construction technique.

Our other design concept. This one was designed to be an A-frame shape. We didn’t think it would be structurally strong enough to support such a tall structure.

Extra scaffolding used to support the structure when standing.

WEEK 2 Frame

Journal week 2  
Advertisement