East Jamaica Conference Communication Department 74 Constant Spring Road ▪ P.O. Box 181▪ Kingston 10 ▪ Jamaica W.I. Tel:(876) 924-1061-3, Fax (876) 924-0263. E-Mail: email@example.com website: http://ejcsda.com
May 8, 2013 To All Pastors, Elders, Leaders and Church Members Dear Brethren: Sincere Christian greetings ! Please see important dates and events of the East Jamaica Conference of Seventh-day Adventists below.
Page # Publishing Day Celebrations and Symposium - May 11, 2013 Special Day of Prayer - May 11, 2013 Andrews Memorial SDA Church Invites You to an Evening of Excellence - May 12-2013 Taxation Sensitization and Certification Seminar - May 26- 2013 Notices from The Sab. School / Personal Ministries/ Comm. Services Department Notices From The Youth Ministries Department Notices From The Women's Ministries Department Notices From The Children's Ministries Department Scholarships Available for Qualified Jamaican Nationals Funeral Service For the Mother of Pastor Lorenzo Brown Update From The Communication Department Schedule of Upcoming Conference Dates and Events
(1) Publishing Day Celebrations and Symposium - May 11, 2013 The church is invited to join Pastors, Publishing Leaders and Heads of Departments of the East Jamaica Conference for "Publishing Day Celebrations and Symposium" at the King's Chapel SDA Church. The program will run for the entire day and promises to be a blessing to all who attend. (2) Special Day of Prayer - May 11, 2013 On Sabbath May 11, 2013, the East Jamaica Conference of Seventh-day Adventists Youth Ministries Department will have a “special day of prayer” for its youth with the settled confidence that “prayer changes things.” We invite not only our youth but also our more experienced and spiritually mature members to join us in intercession on behalf of our youth and the challenges they grapple with. Let’s Pray Until Something Happens (P.U.S.H). Please see document at this link. (3) Andrews Memorial SDA Church Invites You to an Evening of Excellence - May 12-2013 The Northern Caribbean University Chamber Choir will be the featured performer at the 14th annual Evening of Excellence concert for charity, scheduled for Mothers Day, May 12 at 5:00p.m at the University Chapel, Mona. -1-
The 2013 Evening of Excellence, titled Everlasting Peace, is organized by the Andrews Memorial Seventh Day Adventist Church. Held under the patronage of Pastor Everett Brown, President of the Jamaica Union of Seventh-day Adventists, the Evening of Excellence, is an outreach initiative of the Andrews Memorial SDA Church. Proceeds from the event are donated to several charities and scholarships are also awarded to needy students. The 2013 concert is set to benefit the Golden Age Home, The Women’s Centre and Kingsway High School. Tickets for the Evening of Excellence are available at the East Jamaica Conference (EJC) Book Shop, Monarch Pharmacy, Music Mart and the Andrews Memorial SDA Church. (4) Taxation Sensitization and Certification Seminar - May 26- 2013 Please see letter below about the above captioned seminar under the signatures of Elder Waldon Wright, Treasurer -EJC and Dr. Leonard Steele, Stewardship Director-EJC. Please share this with members of your church to increase awareness (5) Notices From The Sab. School / Personal Ministries/ Comm. Services Department
The East Jamaica Conference School of Evangelism (EJC SOE) 2013 Year III has begun. The training sites are as follows: Zone 1 King’s SDA Church North Street SDA Church Kencot SDA Church Stadium Community SDA Church Harbour View SDA Church
Zone 2 Hagley Park SDA Church Washington Gardens SDA Church Half Way Tree SDA Church Sandy Park SDA Church Andrews SDA Church Gordon Town SDA Church
Zone 3 New Haven SDA Church Constant Spring SDA Church Shortwood SDA Church Meadow Vale SDA Church Woodford SDA Church
Zone 4 Seaforth SDA Church Morant Bay SDA Church Yallahs SDA Church Port Morant SDA Churches
The courses being offered are: 1. 2. 3. 4. 5.
Certificate in Adventist Community Services(ACS390) Certificate in Bible School Evangelism (BSE 240) Diploma in Personal Bible Ministry & Discipleship (PBMB480) Certificate in Lay Evangelistic Preaching (LEP401) Certificate in Sabbath School Leadership (SSL350) 6. Certificate in Small Group Evangelism (SGE400) Principles of Evangelism and Principles of Discipleship & Membership Retention are mandatory for students to be eligible for graduation. Registration fee is eight hundred dollars ($800.00). Registration form is available on line. Please contact the office at 924-1061-5 for further details. 1a. Branch/site coordinators and facilitators are urged to begin classes no later than May 12, 2013 1b. SOE 1st general class meeting for 2013 – Sunday, May 19, 9:30 a.m-12:30 p.m. in the EJC boardroom for Kingston & St. Andrew and Sunday, May 26, 10:00 a.m-1:00 p.m. for St. Thomas at Morant Bay SDA Church. All students and prospective interests should try and attend. Please contact us for details. -2-
1. Monthly Adventist Community Services meeting – Sunday, May 26, 2013 in the EJC Chapel @ 10 a.m. 2. Big Family Fun Days - July 28, , Morant Bay, St. Thomas & August 4, 2013, Kingston & St. Andrew 3. SOE & Lay Workers’ Institute 2013, November 13-15, 2013 @ Golden Acres – students of the School of Evangelism (SOE) and delegates chosen for your churches should begin preparation now. 4. Grand Festival of the Laity in Kingston, November 16 & 17, 2013 – plan to be in attendance! N.B. Sabbath School superintendents and Personal Ministries leaders are reminded of the end of quarter report which is due on the 10th of each month following the end of the quarter, (report form & explanation sheets are available on line). Also, please be reminded of the weekly evangelistic reports from your churches. (We are requesting your Small Groups updates). (6 ) Notices From The Youth Ministries Department 1. The Uniform Handbook from IAD is now available at the Conference. It’s a must have as the changes/new format will be mandatory for Pathfinder Festival in November. Cost is $500.00 per copy. 2. Sports Evangelism kicks off on May 18, 2013 with a dress parade and rally. The completion itself begins on May 25, 2013. These events will commence at 7:30pm SHARP! Registration cost per team $5,000.00 (to be paid at the EJC Office by May 13, 2013). Please check the youth website at ejcyouth.webs.com for flyer and further details. 3. Summer Camp: The annual summer camp will be held from August 13-20, 2013 at Robin’s Bay. Cost has been reduced to $6, 000 (includes a T-Shirt). Groups of five will enjoy a further 5% discount. Each church is being asked to send a delegate. Youth start planning to be there. Last year was great but this year promises to be greater, more fun, fellowship and spiritual nurture. Summer Camp is for everyone not just members. Registration closes on July 26, 2013. Forms can be accessed from the EJC website. ABSOLUTELY NO LATE FORMS WILL BE ACCEPTED!!! 4. Bible Boom: Keep promoting the Bible Boom and make plans to conduct your church and district play offs scheduled for June and July respectively. For further details please see the Bible Boom flyer on the EJC website or contact the Bible Boom Coordinator, Angela Bernard at firstname.lastname@example.org 5. Labour Day Projects: If you haven’t started planning your district and zonal projects you are late. Catch the moving train and let’s go!!!
“The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore they attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.” Pearl Buck (7) Notices From The Women's Ministries Department 1. Come mark the moments with our women as they pause for International Women’s Emphasis Day on June 8, 2013 in all churches. 2. All fun loving married women of EJC are invited to the I.M.A.P launch@ 4 p.m. on Sabbath, June 15, 2013 @ the North Street SDA Church. You are asked to take your spouse with you for a special spousal treat immediately after the charge. Our speaker is Dr. Eric Nathan. I.M.A.P is an initiative geared at women supporting each other in heightening and enriching their spousal relationship. Kindly collect invitations for special seating. Bring your non SDA friends along.
3. 5K Health Run/Walk and Children’s fun day is a big affair that no one should miss. This will be held on June 2, 2013. Come join in the fun. Meals will be provided. See application form and flyer for details. 4. All women’s and children’s ministries team members are invited to a day of relaxation on Sunday June 23, 2013 @ the Mahogany Beach, Ocho Rios, St. Ann. Transportation cost will be covered for the first 50 persons who book on or before June 12, 2013. Entry fee J$300.00. Please take your picnic baskets along. 5. Retreat 2013 plans are in full gear. The office is now accepting deposits. Book early and save. Mentors your place is reserved. Fun loving adults who are not mentors, come for a full package of physical rejuvenation from October 24 -27, 2013. 6. Moms in Touch is the initiative that is aimed at caregivers spending time in prayer. WMD’s please ensure that this is an active programme under your leadership. More than ever, Moms especially, need to be praying together. Remember- Those who are careful about what they say keep themselves out of trouble. Prov. 21:23 Tips For Parents Parents, Aunties and Uncles, please remember to praise us frequently. If you don’t tell us how great we are, who will? Remember, “If we live with encouragement, we will learn confidence”. (8) Notices From The Children's Ministries Department
1. 5K Health Run/Walk and Children’s fun day is a big affair that no one should miss. This will be held June 2, 2013. Come join in the fun. Meals will be provided. See application form and flyer for details. 2. All women’s and children’s ministries team members are invited to a day of relaxation on Sunday June 23, 2013 @ the Mahogany Beach, Ocho Rios, St. Ann. Transportation cost will be covered for the first 50 persons who book on or before June 12, 2013. Entry fee J$300.00. Please take your picnic baskets along. 3.
Child Preachers’ will be held on Sunday, June 30, 2013, from 9 a.m. – 12 noon at the EJC Board Room. Child Preachers' Training can be done at your church. Kindly solicit assistance from your Pastor and Elder. Our objective is to enable every child to become a disciple for Jesus through providing doctrinal activities to keep them engaged in the 'Word' and loyal to God and His Church. The course outline is available at the office. Graduation will be September 2013.
4. Women’s Ministries / GEMS Retreat will be held at the Holiday Inn Resort from October 24 -27, 2013. The office is now accepting payments. Book early and save.
Remember- Those who are careful about what they say keep themselves out of trouble. Prov. 21:23 (9 ) Scholarships Available for Qualified Jamaican Nationals Please visit the ejcsda.com website under the Education Department to see documents relating to two scholarships for qualified persons. One is from the Japanese Government while the is the Douglas Orane Scholarship in Science, Technology or Engineering from the Grace Kennedy Foundation. Click here (10) Funeral Service for the Mother of Dr. Lorenzo Brown. Condolences to Dr. Lorenzo Richard Brown, who recently lost his mother , the late Olga Taylor. Dr Lorenzo Brown served as pastor in the East Jamaica Conference of Seventh-day Adventists for over 30 years. Funeral service for the late Olga Taylor is as follows -4-
DATE: Saturday May 11, 2013 TIME: Noon LOCATION: Albert Town Church of God, Trelawny, Jamaica Please pray for Dr. Brown and his family during this time of sadness. (11) Update From the Communication Department. As of this week, we will begin to share with you stories and news items about events happening in churches in our Conference via links to their website. We do this to encourage our communication team members in the local church to update their website with news and stories happening in their church. This week we turn the spotlight on two church websites. (1) Take a peek at what's happening at the Washington Gardens SDA Church. Check out their special program for this week-end and their awesome photo gallery. . Click Here (2) The other is the Mount James SDA Church which only recently started their website. Read their News Item about Education Now and For Eternity. Click Here . Did you know that there are tons of great Bible Resources on the East Jamaica Conference website ? Did you know you can access the Seventh-day Adventist Church Manual, Morning Watch Texts, Do Bible Prophecy Study On line or even enjoy Bible Humour in your down time ? Click Here To Access Bible Resources (12) Schedule of Upcoming Conference Dates and Events
Dates -2013 May 6 - 11 May 11 May 11 May 18 May 19 May 23 May 25 * May 26 June 2 June 8 June 15 Aug 13 - 20 *
Event Education Week Youth Day of Prayer Publishing Day Celebrations and Symposium Sports Evangelism Kicks SOE 1st General Class Meeting Labour Day Project (Zonal & National Projects) District Dialogue - St. Thomas Taxation Sensitization and Certification Seminar 5 K Health Run / Walk Women's Ministry Emphasis Day Launch of I.M.A.P. Summer Camp Venue Subject to Change
Phillip E. L. Castell Communication Director
Location All Churches Kings Chapel EJC Board Room All Churches Morant Bay * EJC Office, Kencot SDA Church All Churches North Street SDA Church Robins Bay
East Jamaica Conference Of Seventh-day Adventists 74 Constant Spring Road ▪ P.O. Box 181▪ Kingston 10 ▪ Jamaica W.I. Tel:(876) 924-1061-3, (876) 924-0263. E-Mail: email@example.com Website: ejcsda.com
May 2, 2013 To:
All Directors, Pastors, Principals, School Bursars, Treasurers, Stewardship Directors & Auditors
Dear Brethren: Re: Taxation Sensitization and Certification Seminar, EJC Office, Sunday, 26-May-2013 Sincere Christian greetings. The East Jamaica Conference will be having a very important Taxation Sensitization and Certification Seminar on Sunday, 26-May-2013, at the East Jamaica Conference Board Room from 9:00am to 1:00pm. The Theme of the Seminar is: "Property Issues, Taxes, and Statutory Deductions affecting our Church Family". The main purpose of the Seminar is "to inform the leaders of our Church and schools about property issues, taxes, and payroll deductions, understanding and compliance with them, and ways of preventing or reducing litigation, and the consequences (including financial costs), that may arise from non-compliance with proper risk management, or with legal entitlement due to individuals employed by our Church or schools. The seminar will cover the following areas: i) Tax responsibilities of our Church and schools ii) Tax liabilities to the Authorities and implications of non-compliance iii) Payroll items (income taxes and statutory deductions), applicable percentages and their computation
iv) Property Issues, taxes, and online payments v) TRN Registration vi) Minimizing Litigation in the SDA Church Family The topics will cover issues related to treatment of NIS, NHT, Education Tax and Income Tax affecting workers whether in our Church or schools as well as benefits such as the tax threshold. Matters such as treatment of leave, pension, and injuries sustained (whether at Church or at our schools), which if not prevented or dealt with equitably, and could lead to litigation, will be discussed. Property issues and taxes and how they affect our Church and schools will also be discussed as well as TRN
registration, and online tax payment. The presenters will include Compliance Officers and Taxpayer Education personnel from Tax Administration Jamaica (TAJ). The categories of leaders invited to the seminar are as follows: our Administrators, Directors, pastors, treasurers, stewardship directors, auditors; bursaries and principals of our schools. Each person is required to make every effort to attend this very important certification seminar and to be on time. Certificates will be given out to persons who stay for the duration of the seminar. Lunch will be served. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the writer.
Yours sincerely ................................................. Waldon WRIGHT Treasurer, EJC.
..................................................... Dr. Leonard Steele Stewardship Director
Published on May 8, 2013