Issuu on Google+

KICK-OFF EVENTS SATURDAY, OCTOBER 27 Pancake Breakfast, 7:30 a.m.-1 p.m. • Sequim Prairie Grange Buffet Dinner 6 p.m. • Holiday Inn Express

A Special Section of

Sponsored by:

See page 4 for a Calendar of Centennial Events

Sequim City Band • Sequim Gazette Blake Tile & Stone • Evergreen Collision John and Amanda Beitzel Gray & Osborne • Clint Rushton


2 • Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Sequim Centennial 1913-2013

Sequim Gazette


Sequim Centennial 1913-2013

Sequim Gazette

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 • 3

Celebrating Sequim’s First 100 Years!

Centennial Sponsors

Welcome to the City of Sequim’s year-long Centennial Celebration! The Sequim Centennial Committee is excited to bring the community a slate of events and projects that will inspire the entire SequimDungeness Valley to participate in this once-in-a-lifetime event. From public art projects and cemetery tours to golf tournaments and a street dance, the events strive to fulfill the mission of the Sequim Centennial to “Educate, Celebrate and Commemorate” the 100 years since the city’s incorporation. The Sequim Centennial Celebration is a prime example of the HAYS partnerships and cooperation that make Sequim such a special place to live. The Sequim Centennial Committee is represented by members of the business community, arts and cultural organizations, the Jamestown S’Klallam Tribe, Sequim pioneers and city staff who are working together to encourage our community to honor our history and look forward to the future. Throughout the year there will be opportunities to learn, play, create, perform and build community as we gather together and “Get into the Sequim of Things.”

Check us out online at

(donating $5,000 or more)

Sequim City Band Sequim Gazette (in-kind services)

Centennial Sponsor (donating $1,000-$2,499)

Blake Tile & Stone Evergreen Collision – Sequim (in-kind services)

Pioneer Sponsor

Unless otherwise specifed, photos were provided by the Museum & Arts Center. Our special thanks for all their assistance with this publication.

Ken Hays Mayor, City of Sequim

Sequim from our Wilder Family!

Golden Sponsor

(donating $500-$999) John and Amanda Beitzel Gray & Osborne

Friend of the Centennial (donating $25-$499) Clint Rushton

CHECK OUT OUR GREAT SELECTION OF NEW AND USED VEHICLES

www.wilderauto.com

24-hours a day!

WILDER AUTO

95 & 97 Deer Park Road, Port Angeles

1-800-927-9395 360-452-3888

YOU CAN COUNT ON US!


4 • Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Sequim Centennial 1913-2013

Sequim Gazette

Centennial Calendar 2013 May 18 • Golf tournament SkyRidge Golf Course, 7015 Old Olympic Highway; Jeff Pedersen, skyridgegc@olypen.com June 1 • Cemetery tour Pioneer Park, 373 W. Washington St., Museum & Arts Center; 683-8110, www.macsequim.org

2012 October 27 • 7:30 a.m.-1 p.m. Pancake Breakfast, Sequim Prairie Grange, 290 Macleay Road. $5 adults; $3 children; Bonnie Hagberg, 681-4189 6 p.m. Kick-off buffet dinner, Holiday Inn Express, 1441 E. Washington St.

July 5 • First Friday Art Walk, street dance on Washington Street

November • Old photos and artists’ interpretation exhibit; Museum & Arts Center; 683-8110, www. macsequim.org November 17 • 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Geocoin Challenge event, Pioneer Park, 373 W. Washington St., City of Sequim, 683-4139

July 4 • Old-Fashioned 4th of July Reuse demonstration site/James Center for the Performing Arts; Patsy Mattingley, 683-8226, Piccolo34@ hotmail.com

July 6 • Morning golf tournament, The Cedars at Dungeness, 1965 Woodcock Road, Bill Shea, 683-6344 July 20 • Barn Dance Location TBA; Museum & Arts Center; Magdalena Bassett, 683-8406, www. macsequim.org/ August 2-4 • Olympic Theatre Arts melodrama, Title TBA, James Center

for the Performing Arts, free, www. olympictheatrearts.org August 17 • 10 a.m Sequim Valley Airport Fun Day, Sequim Valley Airport; Andy Sallee, Sequimairport@gmail.com August 20-21 • 6 p.m. Music & Movies in the Park: Sequim’s Got Talent, James Center for the Performing Arts, City of Sequim; 683-4139 http://sequimwa.gov/index. aspx?nid=232 October • Cemetery tours Museum & Arts Center; 683-8110, www.macsequim.org/ October 5 • Salmon, clam and crab bake with kayak races and barn dance; Juan de Fuca Cottages, 182 Marine Drive; Missy, 683-4433, www. juandefuca.com November 2 • 5 p.m. Community celebration finale at Seven Cedars Casino/Club Seven; City of Sequim, 683-4139. http://sequimwa.gov; Karen Kuznek-Reese, 681-3428 or kkuznek@ Sequimwa.gov

Centennial Art Projects Paint a Tile and be a part of the Sequim Centennial Celebration

Throughout the Centennial Celebration year, Aglazing Art Studio of Port Angeles will set up a tile painting station at Centennial events for residents and visitors. The cost is $10 to paint a 6-inch by 6-inch commemorative tile. The studio will glaze and fire the tile which will be incorporated into a public art display at the completion of the Centennial year. The goal is to have at least 1,000 tiles painted throughout the Centennial Celebration year. Everyone is encouraged to participate and to be a part of this once-in-a-lifetime community art project.

Milk Can Project

As part of a Sequim Centennial public art project, 14 vintage milk cans donated by local residents have been decorated by local artists and will be displayed throughout Sequim for the duration of the Centennial, then auctioned off as a fundraiser in November 2013. Milk can donors Marilyn Siebens John and Carmen Jarvis Karen Smith Kevin Hergert Flo Lackinole Sue Hagener and Pepper Fisher Judith Ketchum

Get your tickets for the Kick-Off Dinner!

Milk can painters Saundra Cutsinger Kali Bradford Kathy Corriell Monika Livingstone Nancy Hofmann Dena Henry Sunny Benham Sky Heatherton Linda Stadtmiller LaRayne Cole Ellen Swears Adrienne Pereira Cathy Clark

Tickets for the Sequim Centennial Kick-Off Dinner, to be held on Saturday, Oct. 27, at the Holiday Inn Express, 1441 E. Washington St., are now on sale and can be purchased at Sequim City Hall, 152 W. Cedar St.; Pacific Mist Books, 121 W. Washington St.; and the Sequim-Dungeness Valley Chamber of Commerce Visitor Information Center, 1192 E. Washington St. Tickets are available for purchase by cash and check at all locations. They are available by credit card and debit card purchase only at City Hall. The ticket cost is $55 per person and includes a buffet-style roast prime rib dinner with garlic mashed potatoes and gravy, Nash’s glazed carrots, appetizer, salad, local dairy ice cream with Graysmarsh berry toppings, local wines and ciders. The price also includes a commemorative goblet engraved with the Sequim Centennial logo. An alternative main course is available but must be selected at the time of ticket purchase. The evening activities begin at 6 p.m. with wine and appetizers. Dinner will be served at 6:45 p.m. and the Centennial Kick-Off Program will begin at 7:30 p.m. Tickets for the Kick-Off Dinner are limited. For questions or more information, contact Barbara Hanna, City of Sequim Communications and Marketing Director, at 681-3422 or bhanna@sequimwa.gov.

Centennial Committee members Karen KuznekReece Barbara Hanna Caroline Stuckey Gretha Davis Jan Jones Joe Borden

John Beitzel Ken Hays Kit Helsley Laura Singer Louise Potter Patsy Mattingley Priscilla Hudson

Renee Mizar Saundra Cutsinger Tom Montgomery Vickie Carroll Bobbie Usselman Shelli Robb-Kahler Bonnie Hagberg


Sequim Gazette

Sequim Centennial 1913-2013

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 • 5

A e t C a e r n b t e u l ry e C Sequim We’ll Provide The Comfort HVAC Design, Service, and Installation

Save On Your Monthly Utility Bill With A Ductless Heat Pump

3 (360) 452-9813

Years

Residential & Commercial Specialists

www.allweatherhc.com 302 Kemp Street  Port Angeles, WA 98362

(360) 452-9813 Cont# ALLWEHC150KU


Sequim Centennial 1913-2013

6 • Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Sequim Gazette

Sequim: By the decades

J

ohn Donnell and John Bell were the first to homestead on the prairie southeast of the Dungeness River in the 1850s. Other early farmers were John Brown, Matthew Fleming, William Webster, Joseph Sinclair and George Henry Lotzgesell. Where the property of Bell, Brown, Fleming and Webster adjoined began to be known as Seguin, which, depending on the source, translated from the Klallam language as either “quiet waters” or “hunting place.” A post office was established at Seguin on Aug. 13, 1879, nearly a decade before Washington became a state. Legend has it that an Eastern postal clerk misread the “g” and the “n” and effectively “renamed” the village to Sequim in 1907. Dungeness and Port Williams were the hubs of commerce until a group of farmers led by D.R. Callen formed the

Pre-incorporation

Sequim Prairie Ditch Company and built and opened a series of wooden flumes and irrigation ditches on May 1, 1896. Merchant William Horner opened the first store, a grocery, in 1892, on the northeast intersection of what’s now Sequim Avenue and Washington Street. In 1898, Joe Keeler platted the first five acres in Sequim and built the first saloon, called The Corners. By 1907, the population was about 50, a second town parcel was platted and Austin Smith had completed the Opera House. In 1908, at the southwest corner of Sequim Avenue and Washington Street, Keeler built the 50-room Sinclair Hotel, wagered he could have it electrified by a certain date and did, eventually forming the Sequim Light & Power Company. Keeler also brought piped water to the hotel, then to the village from nearby springs, and

also founded the Independent Telephone Company. Gladys Long, an elementary school student, was named as the first May Day (later Irrigation Festival) queen

in 1908. Lehman’s Meat Market, later Lehman’s Mark ‘N Pak, opened on East Washington Street in 1911, the site of Lehman Court Shops today.

Horse racing on Washington Street was an important part of early celebrations in Sequim.

-The New Dungeness LighthouseProud to be part of Sequim’s First 100 Years

Fresh • Quality • Local

Sunny Farms has been proud to be a part of the Sequim community for over 35 years. From our farms in Sequim and Othello, Washington to your dinner table, we’re pleased to provide your family with quality fresh produce. We are grateful for the rich agricultural history of Clallam County and look forward to continuing that way of life. 261461 Hwy 101 W., Sequim, WA (360) 683-8003 • www.sunnyfarms.com

r w a r d t o m a ny m o r e ye a r o f g n i k o s Lo Clallam County Economic Development Council

Experience Paradise on the Peninsula . . . Be a Lighthouse Keeper for A Week Openings Available • 360-683-6638 • NewDungenessLighthouse.com photo by Chad Kaiser

Assisting Sequim businesses for 27 years! Contact the Clallam Economic Development Council at 360-457-7793 or on the web: www.clallam.org


Sequim Centennial 1913-2013

Sequim Gazette

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 • 7

A two-horse cart decorated for the Fourth of July celebration in 1905 stands in front of the Sequim Trading Company, at the northwest corner of Sequim Avenue and Washington Street.

Landscape and Tile

Headquarters Wide selection of tile, landscape materials & masonry supplies.

490 South Blake Ave., Sequim 681-2877 www.blakeinc.net

The Blake’s have been in Sequim since 1900 and the 6th generation still lives in the area. Charles & Margaret started the family business in 1953, and the third generation is now leading the company. The family traditions of caring for our customers and community are as important today as they were in 1953. We look forward to being part of Sequim for another 60 years.


8 • Wednesday, October 24, 2012

S

ixty years after settlers began moving south from Dungeness and Port Williams, the village of Sequim had a population of more than 300 and some of its residents began pushing to incorporate as a fourth-class town. On Oct. 14, 1913, the vote was 90-66 in favor and the state approved incorporation on Oct. 31, with the corporate limits set as one mile north and south and three-quarters of a mile east and west of Sequim Avenue and Washington Street, approximately 440 acres. It was a rocky start — in May 1914 fire caused $1,000 damage to the brand new city hall. Jilson White became the first mayor and with the city council, passed ordinances prohibiting concealed weapons, gambling and swindling, and set the speed limit to 15 mph for autos and 8 mph for horses. Also in 1914, the town received grants for telephone and electric power franchises and established a volunteer fire bucket brigade. The next year railroad passenger and freight service began between Sequim and Port Angeles and Sequim and Port Townsend. Sequim

Sequim Centennial 1913-2013

1913-1922

blossomed as the peninsula’s agricultural center, with potatoes being a main crop. Dungeness merchant Charles Seal built a mercantile, the Sequim Trading Company, across from the Sinclair Hotel where a dinner cost 35 cents. In 1914, the Olympic Theater opened on Sequim Avenue and ran until about 1937. At the annual May Day celebration in 1913, commemorating the opening of Sequim’s irrigation ditches in 1896, barnstormers landed in nearby fields and offered rides in their flying machines. In 1915, Sequim High School held its first graduation with four students. Sequim’s World War I (1914-1918) casualties in France included Carl Eckstad, Jack Grennan, Tony Moniz, Clyde Rhodefer and Mike Zaccardo. During the next eight years streets and alleys started getting names, the Masonic Hall was chartered and IOOF Hall was built. Prospectors drilled for oil in 1917 and 1919, but apparently found none. In 1920, Sequim Prairie Hospital opened on Washington Street and Keeler sold the Keeler Water System to the town in 1922 for $1,700. In 1921, the town built a one-

Containers • Drop Boxes Recycling • Residential Refuse Demolition Drop Boxes Construction Debris Boxes 1-800-422-7854 • Phone: 452-7278 • Fax: 417-0122 2058 W. Edgewood Dr. • Port Angeles

bay, 320-square-foot fire station for $125 on Cedar Street. In the 1920s most roads were dirt — and often hub-deep mud — so it was a boon to local transportation when the first paved route opened in 1920, now Old Olympic Highway. The big excitement for 1922 was a

Sequim Gazette

robbery at the State Bank of Sequim on March 24. The robbers entered through a window, drilled through an old-fashioned vault, went through 180 safe deposit boxes and strode away with $35,000. Authorities caught up with them at Quilcene, killing one and capturing the other. All of the money was recovered.

A circa 1906 Buick was the first locally owned car in Clallam County, purchased by James H. Gibson, and brought by ferry to Port Williams and then Sequim in May 1907. It’s parked in front of the Bugge Mercantile Company. At that time, it took two hours to drive the car to Port Angeles.


Sequim Centennial 1913-2013

Sequim Gazette

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 • 9

Soldiers march in long lines west down Washington Street prior to World War I. There was a military encampment near where Sequim’s athletic fields are today.

Voted Best Place to Bank for 17 years!*

Celebrating 100 Years, Congratulations Sequim! We’re your community bank. That simply means your decision to bank here positively affects you and dramatically impacts your community.

Local Bankers l Local Decisions l Competitive Rates

Learn More > ourfirstfed.com > 800-800-1577 Member FDIC

*First Federal was voted Best Place to Bank and Best Customer Service in 2012 Peninsula Daily News ‘Best of the Peninsula’ poll.


Sequim Centennial 1913-2013

10 • Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Sequim Gazette

Castell Insurance Castell Financial Auto, Home, HeAltH & Investments

426 e. Washington St. ◆ Sequim, Wa 98382 (360) 683-9284

John Coulson

Phil Castell

Specializing in all types of Health Insurance

• Castell Financial is a locally owned financial advisory company

• all types of medicare plans, including medicare Supplements, medicare advantage plans and medicare Part D ~ Rx plans. • major medical for individuals and families • long Term Care Insurance, to protect your assets from the catastrophic expenses of long term care.

• We strive to provide clear and concise advice to retirees and those planning to retire • Specializing in “InCome PlannIng”, to give you a steady reliable income today, tomorrow and in the future • We believe that a conservative slow and steady approach will achieve our clients goals • Please call today for a no obligation, complimentary review of your current situation

426 e. Washington St. ◆ Sequim, Wa 98382 (360) 683-9284 www.castellinsurance.com John@castellinsurance.com

Phil@Castellfinancial.com

Investment Advisory Services offered through Global Financial Private Capital, LLC, an SEC Registered Investment Advisor.


Sequim Gazette

I

n the 1920s, the downtown core grew west on Washington Street. Among the stores were a mercantile, cafe, billiards parlor, drugstore, Ford garage, shoe repair shop, meat market, tire store and gasoline station. The town council later established Sequim’s “business center” as one block on the east and west sides of Sequim Avenue from Hammond to Spruce streets in 1929. At the far edge of town next to railroad tracks a lettuce shipping shed was built in 1924, where Sequim’s iconic granary is now. In 1929, with its population increasing, voters approved a bond issue to enlarge the water system and build a reservoir and pipeline from

Sequim Centennial 1913-2013

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 • 11

the Dungeness River. The stock market crash on Oct. 29, 1929, led to the closure of the State Bank of Sequim in 1930. The town’s population stood at 534 that year. In 1930, the annual May Day celebration was renamed the Irrigation Festival. With the automobile firmly entrenched in American culture, U.S. Highway 101 through Sequim opened in 1931, linking the Olympic Peninsula’s towns. The 1920s and 1930s were Sequim’s heyday for dairying, with an estimated 5,200 cows and 950 dairy farms in Clallam County. By this time, there were some 20 irrigation companies making the valley green and allowing farmers to grow alfalfa and other grains. The Rhodefer Library with the Works Progress Administration sign in front.

F

Even with 34-inch by 4-inch tires, roads in the Sequim-Dungeness valley were something to be reckoned with before 1920, when a paved highway opened, now part of the Old Olympic Highway.

1933-1942

rom statistics issued by the University of Washington in 1934, Sequim was declared “The Healthiest Place in the World.” Sequim’s biggest project of the decade was bonding for and building a sewer system in 1936 with 246 connections. The town sold $43,000 in bonds and the rest was funded by the Works Program Administration. After two previous attempts over several decades, the town finally established its first formal library, naming it after Clyde Rhodefer, Sequim’s first World War I casualty. The library was built in 1936 at 415 N. Sequim Ave. with Works Progress Administration funds on land donated by the Progressive Club of Sequim. Up until that time, the American Legion Auxiliary had kept a lending library. Traffic was such that the town put up a “slow” signal and flashing light at Washington Street and Sequim Avenue in the 1930s. The town installed its first stoplight there in 1940 but drivers largely ignored it. The Dresden Theater, now the Gazette building on the south side of Washington Street, opened its doors on Aug. 8, 1935. Its first feature was

“The Hoosier Schoolmaster” starring Norman Foster and Gabby Hayes. With a seating capacity of 450 and features such as a modern oil-burning furnace, second-floor lounge room, and box office and front doors made of mahogany, the Dresden was considered one of the finest talkie motion picture houses of its size in the Northwest. Sequim’s population swung wildly in this decade, from a high of 675 in 1937, to a low of 300 in 1940, and back to 530 in 1941. Area farmers established the Clallam Co-operative in 1938 as agriculture expanded with the addition of large-scale contracted pea production and farmers founded the Sequim Prairie Grange in 1942. At its peak in 1941, 65 train carloads were shipped from the Sequim area to East Coast markets. President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed an act establishing Olympic National Park in 1938. On Dec. 7, 1941, two Sequim sailors died in the bombing of Pearl Harbor by the Japanese. Several thousand soldiers arrived in the Sequim area to patrol beaches and blackouts and food rationing soon followed. World War II ended in 1945 with 58 servicemen from Clallam County killed.


12 • Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Mayors of Sequim Sequim incorporated Oct. 31, 1913, as a fourth-class town; Sequim reclassified by election to a third-class city on Nov. 6, 1974; on Oct. 25, 1993, Sequim became a non-charter code city and changed from a council-mayor to council-manager form of government by election Nov. 8, 1994. Jilson White

1913-1914

H.P. Barber

1914-1914

W.M. Schumacher

1915-1918

J.S. Bugge

1918-1926

Harry E. Peterson

1927-1928

Herbert Godfrey

1929-1930

P.S. Govan

1931-1933

J.S. Bugge

1933-1940

J.N. Otto

1941-1942

W.T. Alton

1943-1948

W.E. Nelson

1949-1952

W.T. Alton

1952-1952

William Merrill

1953-1958

Peter F. Black

1958-1967

Thomas L. Groatz

1968-1971

Carl O. Klint

1972-1974

Henry T. Pruett 

1974-1975

Oliver O. Hamilton

1975-1979

James P. Dinan 

1980-1987

Ed Beggs

1988-1995

Bill Thomas

1996-2001

Walter E. Schubert

2002-2007

Laura Dubois

2008-2009

Ken Hays

Sequim Centennial 1913-2013

1943-1952

After World War II, the population nearly doubled to 880 in 1947 and the town annexed two acres west along Washington Street, its first expansion since its initial plats at the beginning of the century. They included the granary that the Clallam Co-operative had constructed in 1944. In 1947, the Sequim Volunteer Fire Department moved into its new three-bay fire station just west of the town hall and the council directed the city clerk to blow a noon whistle at the request of residents. In 1946, the Sequim Library

joined the county library system with 1,200 books in its collection. The town bought its first police car in 1950 and established a curfew. Downtown got a boost in 1950 when the Sequim Variety Store, now A-1 Auto Parts, opened. Television reception came to Sequim in 1950. Dave Burrowes and Reed McCarthy recovered the area’s first mastodon tusks from bluffs at Washington Harbor. In order to conserve water, the council approved metering the water usage of businesses in 1951. In 1952, at the council’s request,

2010-present

Above: Area farmers founded the Sequim Prairie Grange in 1942 and soon began participating in the Irrigation Festival parade. Right: The Sequim High School football team poses in 1941.

Sequim Gazette

electric poles were moved to the alleys north and south of Washington Street and house numbers were assigned for the first time, despite complaints by homeowners that the measure invaded their privacy. The eastern city limit was at Pioneer Park. Also in 1952, the federal government bought 1,200 acres northwest of Sequim for a Voice of America broadcasting system, displacing many pioneer farm families, but the project was cancelled a year later when the site was deemed unsuitable.


Sequim Centennial 1913-2013

Sequim Gazette

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 • 13

A-1 offers the best auto parts at the lowest prices

Your One Stop Auto Parts Store

360-681-2883 144 W. Washington St., Sequim Mon.-Fri. 7-7 • Sat. 7-6 • Sun. 8-6

We’re Keeping You On The Road.

A cageless, no-kill, non profit animal rescue group Monthly Spay/Neuter Clinics Spay/Neuter Assistance for pets for low income families Pet/Feline Adoptions (includes vet check, 1st vaccination, and always spayed/ neutered and chipped Trap/Neuter/ Return Program

360-452-0414 • pfoa@olypen.com www.safehavenpfoa.org Serving the community since 2000

YOU CAN’T AFFORD NOT TO HEAR. Introducing an invisible* hearing aid you can afford. STARTING AT

$ 750 EACH

*Individual results may vary. Invisibility may vary based on your ear’s anatomy

Introducing Ignite, the invisible hearing aid you can afford.

Introducing AMP, the invisible hearing aid you can afford. You’ve never seen anything like it. Ignite is designed to fit over your You’ve never seen anything like it. AMP is designed to fit snugly inside your ear ear, where no one cancanal, seewhere it. It’s comfortable andand easily removable, no one can see it. It’s comfortable easily removable, so you’re so in control of your hearing. And at $750 each, you’re in control of your you’re in control of your hearing. And at $750 budget, each,too. If you’ve been waiting for a more affordable alternative to custom hearing aids, you’re in control of your budget, too. If you’ve been it’s time to discover AMP, the hearing aid for people waiting for ready a more affordable alternative to custom who aren’t for a hearing aid. hearing aids, it’s time to discover Ignite. The tiny new AMP fits invisibly in your ear.

Call for an appointment today!

29679534

Here to serve you at 2 convenient locations www.mtnviewhearing.com 504 E. 8th St., Suite F Port Angeles, WA 98362 (360) 452-1188 © 2011 All Rights Reserved NPAD1311-00-EE-XX 1/11

625 N. 5th Ave., Suite 3 Sequim, WA 98382 (360) 681-4481


Sequim Centennial 1913-2013

14 • Wednesday, October 24, 2012

I

n 1953, voters approved a $49,000 bond issue to consolidate the Dungeness and Sequim school districts and a $200,000 bond for a reservoir; the town also bought another police car as its 3-year-old model had 33,000 miles on it and needed extensive repairs. The mid1950s brought growth and expansion on several fronts. The population rose to 1,125, the town annexed more land and 1,200 telephones converted to dial service. In 1955, construction on a new junior/senior high school was under way at Sequim Avenue and Fir Street. This period gave rise to Sequim’s reputation as a dairying community with approximately 13,000 cows being milked on surrounding dairy farms. Streets in town remained unpaved until 1957. The most significant event of the decade occurred in August 1961 when the

Hood Canal floating bridge opened. Gov. Albert D. Rosellini cut a ribbon and cars lined up bumper to bumper for 3 miles to cross behind the governor’s automobile. The $26 million project was touted as “an engineering masterpiece” making, as one official said, “the Olympic Peninsula part of the state.” More than 11,000 vehicles crossed the bridge during opening day. The toll was $1.30 per vehicle and 30 cents per passenger. By the end of the decade, dairy farms were being sold and annexed into the city at a rapid pace. In 1962, Jess Taylor, son of Sequim pioneer A.N. Taylor, partnered with Seattle developer Albert Balch to develop a subdivision with a golf course on the old Dungeness-Sequim Road three miles northeast of Sequim. The first residents of Sunland moved into their homes in October 1963 and by 1964, 200 lots had been sold.

sofas

Enjoy life for less ... a lot less!

Rudy Radich’s Swap Shop, located at the former site of The Buzz, entered this float in the Irrigation Festival parade in 1951.

Happy Centennial Sequim!

399

Partnering to enhance local health care.

299

Growing with Sequim since 1972!

$

starting at

loveseats starting at

Sequim Gazette

$

Better Together

Financing Available NEW FURNITURE AND MATTRESSES

6 Months Same As Cash OAC

Mon.–Sat. 9:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. • Sun. 11:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

www.pabargainwarehouse.net 452-3936 • 2830 Hwy. 101 East • Port Angeles

Open Daily 9:00 am • 1423 Ward Road • Sequim 800-778-4295 • 360-683-4295 www.olygamefarm.com


Sequim Gazette

Hood Canal Bridge - 1961 The Hood Canal floating bridge opened in August, 1961 to more than 11,000 vehicles. Portions of the bridge sank on Feb. 23, 1979, due to gusts of about 120 mph. Photo from The Olympic Review Aug. 16, 1961, by Harry Boersig.

Sequim Centennial 1913-2013

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 • 15


16 • Wednesday, October 24, 2012

T

his decade began tragically with the assassination of President John F. Kennedy on Nov. 22, 1963, with today’s Sequim baby boomers, as pre-teens and teenagers, no doubt huddled with their parents around black and white televisions for three days. Sequim received the 98382 ZIP Code in 1963 and the council voted to require water meters be installed at all new residences. In 1964, an outdoor pool, funded by a city bond issue, opened on the Sequim High School premises, operating in the summers only until 1984. The city opened a modern sewage treatment plant in 1967. In the mid-1960s, even as Sequim’s population rose only modestly to 1,325, the town began annexing adjacent land that had been in dairy production. In 1966, Sequim was first touted nationally as a retirement location and two years later had

Sequim Centennial 1913-2013

expanded to 640 acres or one square mile. From Sequim Avenue, Washington Street now was 1.25 miles long. Battelle Marine Science Lab purchased the former Bugge Clam Cannery property on West Sequim Bay Road in 1966 and the Sequim railroad depot closed. Developers began noticing the Sequim-Dungeness Valley and by 1973, Sequim’s population had risen to 2,287. In reaction to the town’s growth, the city council passed a comprehensive planning/zoning ordinance. Olympic Game Farm opened to the public. In the early 1970s, the council supported the creation of a new Senior Citizen Center and began discussion of a bypass. The city formally established a police department in 1970 with Donald Salonen as chief and set Sequim’s curfew at 9 p.m. In 1972, the town’s noon whistle was replaced with chimes from the Presbyterian Church.

Sequim Gazette

Max Schmuck, president of the Bank of Sequim, with the Sequim Irrigation Festival royalty as Queen Sherry cuts a white ribbon to officially open the new drive-in branch of the bank. The town and Sunland entered into an agreement for Sequim to operate and maintain the Sunland sewer system and the council adopted a 20-year plan. In 1969, local crops included 855

acres of peas, 800 acres of mint, 300 acres of Christmas trees, 85 acres of strawberries, 75 acres of raspberries and 65 acres of vegetables.


Sequim Centennial 1913-2013

Sequim Gazette

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 • 17

Aerial View of Sequim, 1961 Looking east toward Sequim Bay, with railroad line running diagonally across town. Image by Harry Boersig of Tacoma.

SUNSHINE PROPANE We’ve been keeping Clallam County warm for over 30 years.

Open 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday - Friday 10853 Rhody Drive Port Hadlock, WA 98339 LIC#SUNSHP*077QP

We do it all, from propane tanks to propane piping, in your home or business, inside and out, and propane delivery. But did you also know that we do Radiant Floors and Radiators? Our skilled designers and installers have over 40 years experience in custom matching your residential or light commercial propane needs to your budget and lifestyle. Plus, we carry a great line of propane fireplaces, propane inserts and propane free standing stoves that will warm and beautify your special rooms.

Visit our showroom today! Contact Sunshine Propane to set up an appointment:

(360) 683-4010

info@sunshinepropane.com

www.sunshinepropane.com


Sequim Centennial 1913-2013

18 • Wednesday, October 24, 2012

W

Sequim Gazette

1973-1982

ith a population of 2,600 in 1974, voters approved a measure to reclassify Sequim as a third-class city, with a seven-member council, mayor, treasurer, clerk and attorney, all elected positions. A new city hall opened on Cedar Street in 1973 at a cost of $110,000. In 1974, Charles Blake offered the city nine acres on the east side of town for a park to be named in honor of his wife, Caroline “Carrie” Blake. Garbage pickup rates increased to $1.75 per month for one can and 75 cents for each additional. The Sequim Creamery was razed for a new shopping center at Washington Street and Sunnyside Avenue and the city purchased a church adjoining city hall for the Sequim Community Center. The post office moved into its new building on Sunnyside Avenue, the longtime site of pioneer John Bell’s barn, and the Sequim-Dungeness Museum organized, moving into the former post office on Cedar Street in 1979. It had purchased the building for $60,000. In 1976, the council put a one-year moratorium on annexations

and the next year renumbered the avenues west of Sequim Avenue, eliminating First Avenue and “moving” them all one block west. On Aug. 8, 1977, a farmer named Emanuel Manis was excavating his property with a backhoe when he found the tusks of an American mastodon. Archeological research at the time found them to be 12,000 years old, but later research determined the relics to be 13,800 years old. The Washington Department of Transportation began a feasibility study on a U.S. Highway 101 bypass around Sequim in 1977. Volunteer firefighter Dale Kruse was killed on Aug. 30, 1978, at the scene of a fire and the council later had a monument honoring him installed in front of the city hall. Voters approved an emergency medical services levy in 1981 to fund the hiring of Clallam County Fire District 3’s first paramedics in 1982. Also that year the new library opened The Manis Mastodon relics can be seen on display at the Museum & Arts Center. on Sequim Avenue.

Having FUN with METALS in Carlsborg

2012 Member’s Show & Sale

Since 1991 Allform Welding has built an enviable reputation over the years as the premier source for custom metal fabrication and welding on the Olympic Peninsula. We have produced a wide variety of styles from simple to ornate, from classic to whimsical, and from small to massive. Our design team and our skilled craftspeople will take your ideas from wish list to reality – if you can visualize it, we can make it happen!

November 1st to 4th St. Luke’s Episcopal Parish Hall 525 N. Fifth Avenue

Hours: Thurs.-Saturday: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Call or email today and let’s get started!

81 Hooker Rd., #9, Sequim • 360-681-0584 dan@allformwelding.com • www.allformwelding.com Cont. Reg. ALLFOWI023CB

Sunday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. MEMBER NATIONAL ORNAMENTAL & MISCELLANEOUS METALS ASSOCIATION

Information: www.sequimarts.org


Sequim Centennial 1913-2013

Sequim Citizens of the Year 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1974 1975 1976

Peter Black Carl Klint Virginia Keeting Virginia Peterson Tom Groat None Katie & Bill Merrill Jerry Angiuli Chuck Southern, Howard Wood, Lorna McInnes 1977 Nellie Tetrude 1978 Marcia Welch 1979 Ruby Trotter 1980 Iris Marshall 1981 Howard Herrett 1982 Guy Shephard 1983 Don & Vivian Swanson 1984 Bill & Shirley Keeler 1985 Ed & Marcia Beggs 1986 Ruby Mantle 1987 Jeff Shold 1988 Annette Kuss 1989 Jim Haynes

1990 Bill & Judy Rowland 1991 Nina Fatherson 1992 Bud Knapp 1993 Paul Higgins 1994 Rand Thomas 1995 Rochelle McHugh 1996 Esther Nelson 1997 Annette Hansen 1998 Jim & Cathy Carl 1999 Bill Fatherson 2000 Robert Clark 2001 Don Knapp 2002 Gil Oldenkamp 2003 John Beitzel 2004 Emily Westcott 2005 Lee Lawrence 2006 Bob & Elaine Caldwell 2007 Stephen Rosales 2008 Walt & Sherry Schubert 2009 Tom Schaafsma 2010 Jim Pickett 2011 Dick Hughes

Introducing....

Paul J. Stevick, CFP

®

Bill Bailey’s Allstate Agency is proud to announce the addition of Paul Stevick to our staff of professionals. We’re so much more than home and auto insurance. Now offering expert financial advice and review at no cost. Please call for a no-fee appointment with Paul.

(360) 683-3397 (360) 681-3002 Bell Street Insurance

440 W. Bell St., Sequim, WA 98382

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 • 19

24 HOURS 7 DAYS A WEEK EMERGENCY SERVICE

SINCE 1980 SALES SERVICE REPAIR

TEN TRUCK FLEET TO SERVE YOU BETTER! Water Heaters Faucets • Toilets Disposal Pipe Replacement Drain Replacement Sewer Camera Water Pumps Sewer Pumps Effluent Pumps Pressure Tanks Water Filtration Water Softeners Sewer & Water Locater

Our Brother’s Plumbing Family Brother’s Plumbing & Pumps is a plumbing contractor on the Olympic Peninsula for over 30 years, providing quality services for all of your plumbing needs. As a family-owned and operated plumbing business with decades of experience, Brother’s Plumbing will give you the best service money can buy.

We install the Best! Repair the Rest.

Contr# BROTHPL 120DW

Sequim Gazette

Sequim (360) 683-9191 • Port Angeles (360) 452-3259 Port Townsend (360) 385-2006 • Port Ludlow (360) 437-7929 www.brothersplumbingandpumpswa.com


Sequim Centennial 1913-2013

20 • Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Sequim Gazette

1983-1992 R

ail service in Sequim ended with the removal of the Milwaukee Line tracks in 1986. With the community outgrowing the small outdoor pool at the high school, a bond was proposed to build an indoor facility in 1980. With the failure of that bond the planning proceeded and a $2,436,000 bond to be paid over 20 years was passed by the voters on Sept. 18, 1984, with a 62-percent majority vote. Five acres of land were purchased on Fifth Avenue and Cedar Ridge Construction of Port Angeles was hired to construct the Sequim Aquatic Recreation Center. In 1987, the Sequim Volunteer Fire Department merged with Clallam County Fire District 3 and a new five-bay manned station opened on Fifth Avenue a year later. In 1992, the then-named Sequim-Dungeness Museum merged with the Peninsula Cultural Arts Center to become the Museum & Arts Center in the Sequim-Dungeness Valley. Between the 1980 census and 1990 census, Sequim grew in population from 3,013 to 3,617.

Rail service in Sequim ended with the removal of the Milwaukee Line tracks in 1986. This view is from the back side of the Clallam Co-operative grain elevator.

Tires Wheels Batteries Brakes shocks alignmenTs sudden service convenienT crediT sequim 802 E. Washington St. • 360-683-7261 PorT angeles 2527 Hwy 101 E • 360-452-7691 PorT ToWnsend 2355 W. Simms Way • 360-385-0124

WarranTies in WriTing www.lesschwab.com

Thomas E. Montgomery The Sequim Realtor with a Background of Distinction Banking • Law • Community Leadership I can help you make your dreams come true - just call me

www.johnlscott.com

1190 E. Washington St. • Sequim • (360) 460-3796 e-mail: thomasm@johnlscott.com

REALTOR

®

MLS


Sequim Centennial 1913-2013

Sequim Gazette

Sequim’s population growth 1900-2012

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 • 21

Before the engineering feat of irrigation ditches in the late 1890s, the Sequim Dungeness valley in the summer was described as a “desert prairie,” and as such, settlers found in their path the brittle prickly pear cactus (Opuntia fragilis). In 1911, George W. O’Brien, owner and publisher of the Sequim Press, wrote in an editorial, “On the first day of May 1896, water from the Dungeness River was turned into a little ditch and it began flowing down into Sequim prairie, three and a half miles away. The irrigation of the prairie started that day, a start that meant converting 5,000 acres of desert and barren land into fields of clover and fields of grain, into orchards and gardens; from a sullen waste spot of nature, neglected and desolate, into a smiling land of beauty and abundance.”

Persons 65 years and over, percent, 2010 — 40.4%

WITH A COMBINED CENT CENTENNIAL OF EXPERIENCE! VA APPROVED AND MEMBER M OF THE NPBA AND SEQUIM CHAMBER

MAKE YOUR FINANCIAL FUTURE A PRIORITY. You can rely on us for: • Highly Personal Service

Your “Aging in Place” Contractor

Walk-In Tubs

• A Quality-Focused Investment Philosophy

Hydro Therapy Water Jets. Heated Back. Visit our Showroom and get all the details! 11 E Runnion Rd. Sequim, WA

360-582-1843

• Convenience

Easy Access with Low Entry. Get the highest quality, lowest priced Walk-In Tubs on the Peninsula.

FREE IN-HOME CONSULTATION – BYDESGI944MG

Cheryl Gray, AAMS 213 E. Washington St. Suite 2, Sequim

(360) 683-7205 www.edwardjones.com Member SIPC

Cherie DuBois 540 N. 5th Ave Suite 1, Sequim

(360) 683-1432


Sequim Centennial 1913-2013

22 • Wednesday, October 24, 2012

1993-2002 Dick Dobbs pushes water and melting snow at Bell Creek Plaza as warm temperatures and heavy rainfall turned the shopping mall into a lake in January 1997. Sequim Gazette file photo

O

n Oct. 25, 1993, Sequim became a non-charter code city and changed from a council-mayor to council-manager form of government by election on Nov. 8, 1994. Sequim 2000, a committee of the Chamber of Commerce, formed in 1995 to seek ways to spark tourism in the area and the concept of lavender farming as agritourism was born. By 1997, there were seven lavender farms with 10,000 plants and growers united for the first Sequim lavender festival in August of that year. Four farms “attracted hundreds” in the event called Fields of

Sequim Gazette

2003 to 2013

I

Flowers and 300 farm tour tickets were sold. In 1996, the Open Aire Market debuted. In 1997, some 20,000 vehicles passed through Sequim on Washington Street, often causing traffic to back up three blocks in both directions from Sequim Avenue. Downtown merchants were both frustrated with the congestion but fearful that the proposed bypass would harm business. In December 1998 workers began preliminary work on building bridges and overpasses at Sequim, Third and Seventh avenues. A new four-mile bypass

opened south of Sequim on Aug. 18, 1999. As 1996 ended and 1997 began, Sequim was blasted with two feet of snow followed by a deluge of 1.25 inches of rain. The New Year’s flood swept torrents of water into neighborhoods and businesses, the worst being East Washington Street from Brown Road to Blake Avenue, with water up to two feet deep in Bell Creek Plaza (QFC). A resident reported in the Sequim Gazette of Jan. 8, 1997, that Bell Creek had swollen to “10 times its size.” Officials estimated damage “in the millions.”

n this decade, the face of Sequim changed dramatically with an explosion in commercial/retail building west of Seventh Street. No doubt the link between Washington Street and River Road, leading to the new U.S. Highway 101 bypass made the former dairy farms prime pickings. Walmart’s announcement in 2003 to build a superstore at Priest Road and Washington Street, on land formerly the Alfred Robb dairy farm, triggered protests, appeals and a lawsuit, to no avail. The first big box surge began with Walmart opening in October 2004, rapidly followed in succession by The Home Depot, Costco, Applebee’s, Office Depot, Petco and Quality Inn & Suites. A second surge in 20102011 brought the Grocery Outlet and Ross Dress for Less plus an extensive addition to Walmart. The Great Recession of 20082012 slowed growth somewhat. Two notable exceptions were the 77-room Holiday Inn Express, which opened in April 2010 and the Black Bear Diner in 2012 on East Washington Street. A morning fire May 11, 2005, gutted a 13-unit apartment complex downtown. In 2006, the city began discussions about building a new city hall on West Cedar Street but left out plans for a new police department. The Sequim Lavender Festival set news records in July 2006 with an estimated 35,000 attendees and some 15,000 festival buttons sold. Also that year, Olympic Medical Center opened its $12 million Medical Services Building with laboratory, imaging and cardiology facilities. A $2.5 million medical oncology addition to the radiation oncology center was built concurrently. On Feb. 23, 2012, the city purchased Serenity House property on Cedar Street and Sequim Avenue for $1.25 million for a proposed combination city hall and police department to cost about $14 million. By 2010, the city limits of Sequim had increased to 6.31 square miles and in June 2012 its population stood at 6,795, up from 4,334 in the 2000 census, with the greatest boom between 2005-2012.

Sources: Laura Arksey, “Jimmy Come Lately history of Clallam County” (Virginia Keeting and Peter Black), “Sequim: Pioneer Family Histories From 1850-W.W. II” (Museum & Arts Center), City of Sequim, Doug McInnes columns in the Sequim Gazette.


Sequim Centennial 1913-2013

Sequim Gazette

Improving the quality of life for people with all forms of dementia and memory loss.

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 • 23

Congratulations Sequim!

651 Garry Oak Dr. • Sequim 360-582-9309 www.dungenesscourte.com

Windermere Real Estate / Sequim East 842 E. Washington St., Sequim, WA 98382

Serving Sequim for 65 of its 100 years

SHERYL PAYSENO BURLEY

360.460.9363

info@sisequim.org www.sisequim.org

www.sequimwa.com sheryl@olypen.com

Jenny James

Left to right:

Licensed Massage Therapist

Carol Dal Porto Master Clinical Aesthetician

Paul Pacelli Owner

Kathryn Pacelli

Owner, Master Clinical Aesthetician

• Facials with Hand, Arm, and Shoulder Massage • Microdermabrasion/ Dermaplaning • Relaxing Therapeutic Massages, Body Wraps and Treatments • Permanent Make-up • Waxing Services

Best wishes from your 104 year-old community bank on your 100th anniversary!

Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Teri Burnett

• Botox, Juvéderm filler •

Evenings by appointment • Sat. 9-12, Tues.-Fri. 9-4 128 West Bell Street • Sequim • 360-683-4363

Sequim 1320 W. Washington St. Sequim, WA 98382 360-683-5599

www.kitsapbank.com • 800-283-5537


24 • Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Sequim Centennial 1913-2013

Sequim Gazette

Moving the Town Hall

On Feb. 18, 2007, Monroe House Moving employees maneuvered the then 92-year-old red town hall underneath a utility line on East Spruce Street. Jack and Helga McGee bought the piece of history and arranged for its move near two other historical buildings, including the former St. Luke’s Episcopal Church, now Lipperts’, on South Second Avenue. The town hall was built in 1914. Photo by Evan McLean for the Sequim Gazette.

Introducing...100 Years Strong Blend

Congratulations Sequim! On 100 years! Serving the Sequim Community for 10 Years

157 West Cedar Sequim, WA 98382

360-681-0650

RainshadowCoffee.com

FAMILY HEALTH CLINIC ACCEPTING NEW PATIENTS

OLYMPIC MEDICAL CENTER CAMPUS 808 N. 5th Avenue, Sequim PHONE - 360-683-5900 HOURS - 8-5 Mon. - Fri.


Sequim Gazette

Sequim Centennial 1913-2013

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 • 25

A century of fire protection

As the City of Sequim’s centennial year comes to a close in December 2013, its fire department will mark 100 years in 2014. Clallam County Fire District 3 Fire Chief Steve Vogel has spent long hours combing through city records and newspaper articles of the past century and is a knowledgeable resource on the history of fire protection in Sequim. Following are some highlights of his findings. On March 11, 1914, the town council ordered the organization of a Volunteer Fire Company and Bucket Brigade and four months later the town purchased a fire bell for $25.50. It was installed in the belfry of the 1914 town hall on Cedar Street. (The town hall was moved to Bell Street in 2007 and the bell is at City Hall.) The first recorded fire in the Sequim Press was on Aug. 15, 1914, on the east prairie. According to longtime fire chief Iris Marshall, Sequim’s first fire suppression units were a man-powered 40-gallon chemical engine and a hand-drawn fire pumper or hose cart pulled by eight men. It was noted, “the company soon enlisted a horse into its membership,” but that didn’t last too long as the council asked a local blacksmith to build a hitch to attach to an automobile. For five years the equipment was stored in a shed behind the town hall. In 1921, the shed was converted into a onebay, 320-square-foot fire station for $125 on Cedar Street. In 1917, the council named Frank Dawley the first fire chief and instructed him to organize a 10-man department and to have practical drills and demonstrations monthly. Sequim had a population of about 300 into the late 1920s. In 1923, the company reorganized under the Washington State Board of Firefighters and under its new bylaws, Mayor Jens Bugge appointed Jim N. Otto as fire chief. The first department had 16 members, mostly town businessmen. There was one fire hydrant at Sequim Avenue and Washington Street. One of their first actions was to buy a siren for $42.25 and divide the town into four zones, each with its own distinctive siren blast pattern. The company also established a fire alarm system which

worked like this: A fire call would come into the telephone exchange, the operator would sound a siren downtown, firemen would assemble at the fire station, then call back the operator for the information and the firemen would sound the fire station siren for the appropriate zone. The department raised money for equipment through dance fund-raisers and by 1919 it had purchased lanterns, hoses and a ladder. In 1924, the department purchased a Model T Ford truck for $250 and its first fire engine – on a 1925 Reo Speedwagon chassis with a large brass chemical tank behind the seat, charged with soda and sulfuric acid, to pressurize the water in the tank – plus 1,000 feet of hose, for $1,465. Members had to sign a pledge to obey the fire chief and were paid $1 per fire call and 75 cents per hour after the first hour. Members failing to or refusing to show up at fires were fined $1 per event, 25 cents for missing drills. In 1939, the fire department purchased first its true pumper, a 1939 Ford Mercury with a 250-gallon water tank with a 500-gallon-a-minute pump. It moved into a modern three-bay fire

Above: The Sequim Volunteer Fire Department circa 1925.

station just west of the town hall in 1947. Sequim’s population was about 880. Into the 1950s, fire calls went to a 24-hour telephone operator, relying on the same fire alarm system the town had used for 30 years. In the late 1940s, the rural residents in eastern Clallam County asked commissioners to establish a county fire department, from Sieberts Creek to East Sequim Bay, and from Dungeness to Agnew, excluding Sequim. The entity was

called Clallam County Fire District 3 and it purchased its first truck for about $9,000 in 1949. The truck was stationed at the Sequim fire station and Sequim firefighters manned it but the organizations were separate. Well into the mid-1970s, Sequim’s volunteer firefighters had no official fire training and not just anyone could join. Approval required 100 percent agreement among members in a secret white ball/black ball voting process. Nor did they have any medical training — vehicle accident victims were loaded into a privately owned ambulance/hearse and driven to Olympic Memorial Hospital in Port Angeles. In the National Highway Safety Act of 1966, the concept of emergency medical services was mentioned for the first time and in 1968, the first paramedic class graduated in Miami, Fla. The EMS Systems Act of 1973 defined the hierarchy and scope of emergency medical services providers. The television show “Emergency!” aired from 1972-1979 and spurred the public’s interest in professional emergency medical and firefighting training across the U.S. in the late 1970s and 1980s. In 1980,


26 • Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Fire, continued from page 25 Clallam County Fire District 3 hired Fred Barrett as fire chief and began responding to medical calls. The district began a paramedic program in 1982 but between 19821984 there were only two paramedics with the district and they worked 24/7/365. Vogel was one of them and well-experienced in trauma care. Tom Lowe, who was Sequim’s first paid fire chief, was hired by the district in 1984 and replaced Barrett. In 1987, the 26-member Sequim Volunteer Fire Department, then having nine emergency medical technicians and one part-time female paramedic, merged with Clallam County Fire District 3. Lowe helped facilitate uniting the two into one cohesive agency. In 1968, 9-1-1 became the national emergency number for the United States but it did not become widely known until the 1970s, and many municipalities did not have 9-1-1 service until well into the 1980s. 9-1-1 physical location addressing began in Clallam County in 1993 and finished in 1996. Today, Clallam County Fire District 3 has seven stations: Dungeness, R Corner, Carlsborg, Sequim, Diamond Point, Lost Mountain and Blyn, all supported by 88 volunteer firefighters and EMTs. Paid staff

Sequim Centennial 1913-2013 are on duty 24/7 at the Blyn, Carlsborg and Sequim stations. The district is approximately 140 square miles in size and begins at Gardiner in Jefferson County on the east and extends to just east of Deer Park Road. The northern boundary is the Strait of Juan de Fuca,

while the Olympic National Forest forms the southern boundary. Fire District 3 operates three shifts and each shift works a 24-hour shift rotation consisting of one captain, six firefighter/ paramedics and three firefighter/EMTs, plus volunteers who respond from home.

Sequim Gazette

Each of the seven fire stations in District 3 has an ambulance and a fire engine, with Sequim’s Station 34 having two ambulances, a rescue truck, fire engine, ladder truck and water tender. The district also employs chiefs, administrative and maintenance staff.

Members of the Sequim Volunteer Fire Department stand by a modern fire engine in 1986. Back row from left are Roger Moeder, Dennis Taylor, Ed Anderson and Mike Whitney; and front row from left are Les Curtis, Jim Steeby, Dennis Fernandez, Pam Cadden and Susie Spalinger. Below: Sequim’s Station 34 in 2012 with the full array of trucks available for modern firefighting and emergency medical care. Photo by Patricia Coate.


Sequim Centennial 1913-2013

Sequim Gazette

Dine In Take Out

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 • 27

Grill Deli

Happy Birthday Sequim! In our humble opinion, we’re both looking pretty good for our age!

• Quality • Flavor • Value

Homemade

Sandwiches • Soups Salads • More...

Open Tues.-Sat. • 360-681-5124 300 E. Washington St. Sequim, WA. 98382 Next to Sequim Co-Op @ Shell Station

Sequim

Since 1936

Phillips’ Hallmark

680 W. Washington, Suite E-104 • Sequim, WA 98382 683-9786 • Mon-Sat. 10-5:30 • Sun. Noon-4

Phone: (360) 683-4111 (800) 300-3885 • Fax: (360) 683-2119

P.O. Box 608 • 216 E. Washington St. Sequim WA 98382 • info@theco-opfarmandgarden.com

forward t o many more L o o k i n gf s e r v i n g o u r n e i g h b o r s! ye a r s o

~ Fine Catered Cuisine ~ Weddings Memorials Teas • Meetings

Reunions Birthdays Coffee Hours

Any reason to celebrate www.sequimfresh.com (360) 683-8575

Unique experiences discovering the Pacific Northwest by sea

Please join us for the

of the

PENINSULA SINGERS

Dewey Ehling, Conductor

Adults: $15 Seniors/Students: $12 Children 12 & Under: Free NO RESERVED SEATING Ticket Outlets: Elliott Antique Emporium, 135 E. 1st St., Port Angeles Pacific Mist Books 121 W. Washington St., Sequim or from Peninsula Singers members and at the door.

Oh, Those Early Broadway Tunes

Photo by Dave Logan

2012-2013 Fall and Spring Concerts

Featuring music by Sigmund Romberg, Rudolf Friml & Vincent Youmans November 17, 2012 • 7:30 p.m. November 18, 2012 • 2:00 p.m. Trinity United Methodist Church, Sequim

b minor Mass

Johann Sebastian Bach Featured soloists: Janeanne Houston, Esther Morgan-Ellis, Alto Soprano Ross Hauck, Tenor Susan Roe, Soprano Barry Johnson, Bass with Orchestra and Organ

April 21, 2013 • 2:00 p.m. Port Angeles High School, Port Angeles

YOU’LL LOVE OUR HOUSE SPECIALTIES! • Grilled Wild Lobster Tail • Australian Lamb Satay • Coconut Prawn Currie • Phad Thai with Tofu “Dine with us here at Galare Thai and travel to my hometown of Chiang Mai without ever having to leave the country.”

Suree Chommvang,

Proprietor & Chef

An artful dining experience

120 West Bell St. • Sequim, WA • 360-683-8069 Mon.-Sat. Lunch 11-3; Dinner 4-9 W W W. G A L A R E T H A I . C O M


28 • Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Sequim Centennial 1913-2013

Sequim Gazette

Remembering ‘The Way We Were’ MAC Oral History Program captures town memories By Reneé Mizar Communications Coordinator Museum & Arts Center in the Sequim-Dungeness Valley With two video cameras and a digital audio recorder rolling in a meeting room at the Museum & Arts Center’s DeWitt Administration Center, a multi-generational group of longtime residents waits attentively for their cue to begin recounting a lifetime of Sequim memories. What began in August with small group meetings of three or four area old-timers to recall the business history of Sequim’s downtown core has grown into lively story-swapping gatherings of 10 or more chock-full of never-before-recorded historical tidbits, personal memories and a few tall tales, some so distant in memory that it takes a group forum to bring them to the forefront. An extension of the MAC’s ongoing Oral History Program and collectively dubbed “The Way We Were,” the sessions are held on a weekly basis at the MAC’s DeWitt Administration Center, 544 N. Sequim Ave. in Sequim. In each session, the group figuratively walks through the downtown core, identifying business locations block-byblock and year-by-year, noting in detail how the commercial composition of Sequim changed over time. “Like a lot of small towns, there were no changes in Sequim for 30-40 years. Then hit the ’60s and ’70s, when people started to settle here and businesses came and went,” said regular session participant Judy (Reandeau) Stipe. “This is a really huge step in getting this information down and it’s just scratching the surface.” With decades-worth of bygone downtown stores and other businesses now identified on paper, MAC Program

Congratulations, Sequim!

Twins Lloyd and Lyle Brown (far right) share memories of being 1940s-era Sequim paperboys to a listening Museum & Arts Center Program Coordinator Priscilla Hudson and longtime area resident Dan Johnson during a group oral history session at the MAC in September.  Photo by Renee Mizar Coordinator Priscilla Hudson, who oversees the Oral History Program, is turning project attention toward filling in the historical record by recording personal narratives about those places before they are lost to time. Gathering the stories of longtime residents of different generations also is of great importance, she said, because all have unique perspectives of the same shared history. “Channeling the various age groups into discussing a topic that spans time periods is challenging, but I enjoy observing how people document time tables in their mind because folks remember things differently,” Hudson said about the group session format. “I enjoy hearing of Sequim secrets, too.” Hudson said plans are to display a large, detailed street Waterfront Dining at John Wayne Marina

map of the downtown core at the MAC Exhibit Center, 175 W. Cedar St. in Sequim, so that visitors can continue to add to that history. “When it’s on exhibit, we’ll have notebooks where people can write down their recollections of these businesses,” Hudson said. “Whether it’s memories about location, what the place looked like inside or out, what was sold there, who owned it, or worked there and when, all of that information is important and will be forgotten if we don’t preserve it now.” Those interested in participating in “The Way We Were” oral history sessions should contact Hudson at 681-2257 ext. 304 or priscilla@macsequim.org.

Floors that last for Generations™

Each floor individually crafted by our own skilled employees

Fresh local seafood, local Finnriver Hard Cider from Chimacum www.docksidegrill-sequim.com • 360-683-7510 • Reservations Recommended 2577 W. Sequim Bay Rd. at the John Wayne Marina NEW WINTER HOURS (from Oct. 31st): Dinners 4 p.m. - 9 p.m., Wed. - Sun. • Closed for lunch

The Hardwood Floor Experts 360 683-8500 190 Center Park Way, Sequim (Behind Jiffy Lube) #CLASSHF997LO • www.classichf.com

Claudio Gonzalez, Owner

• INSTALLATION • REFINISHING • RESTORATION • REPAIRS


Sequim Gazette

Sequim Centennial 1913-2013

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 • 29

Irrigation Festival History

Article courtesy of Tom Montgomery

W

ith an average rainfall of only 17 inches a year, the early north Olympic Peninsula pioneers found the Sequim prairie a difficult place to cultivate. Their efforts were fruitful in the spring, but by summer the lack of rain turned the vegetation brown and the land dry. Four early settlers are credited with an idea and a plan which changed that. On July 7, 1895, James W. Grant and his wife, Harriet, hosted a dinner attended by D.R. (aka D.B.) Callen, H. Hucksford and Capt. Thomas Jones to discuss a plan to divert water from the Dungeness River to the prairie. Callen had lived in Colorado and had seen firsthand that irrigation could be a practical solution to their problem. The group agreed and developed a strategy that included a network of hand-dug ditches from the river to the dry areas. Callen was known as “Crazy” Callen for this idea. Neighbors actually started a petition to declare the men of the group insane. Despite the ridicule, 16 others joined the group and worked all winter to dig the first canal. There were delays, difficulties, lack of money and tools, but these men remained determined to complete the ditch. The first channel was dug on the east side of the Dungeness River and came into the center of Sequim, near what is now the Sequim High School. There was a large celebration at Callen’s farm (Old Olympic roundabout) to mark the opening of the first ditch on May 1, 1896. Residents of the Dungeness Valley

The 1914 May Day celebration, at the intersection of what is today Sequim Avenue and Washington Street.

and surrounding communities came together to commemorate the occasion. Families came by wagon, horseback and foot. The Bicycle Club of Port Townsend came by chartered tugboat to Port Williams and many members rode their bikes from the dock to the site of the celebration. Families brought enough food for themselves and others. Long wooden tables were set under trees and loaded with hams, chickens, roasts, bread, butter, pies, cakes, pickles and jellies. Areas were

cleared for games and races. These “May Day” celebrations continued through the years. Maypole dances, parades and more events were added and the celebration became a three-day event. Grace Long, an elementary school student, was named the first festival queen in 1908. In 1930, the name was more appropriately changed to the Irrigation Festival to reflect the reason for the celebration. The tradition of an Irrigation Festival float began in 1948. Sequim Irrigation Festival grand

pioneers have been selected annually since 1960 when 13 pioneers were nominated and out-of-area judges selected Vern Grant as grand pioneer. The festival has been held in Sequim every year since that first headgate was opened and has the undisputed distinction of being the oldest community festival in the state of Washington. The 118th Irrigation Festival, with the theme of “Dancing Through the Valley,” will be May 3-12, 2013.

SEQUIMSMILES

THE FAMILY DENTISTRY ✶ SINGLE VISIT Computer-designed Crowns ✶ Cosmetic Dentistry ✶ Teeth Cleaning ✶ Dentures ✶ General Dentistry ✶ Snoring and CPAP Intolerance

Congratulations Sequim! Dr. Richard E. Davies, DDS PS

360.683.4850 321 N. Sequim Ave., #C, Sequim www.sequimsmiles.com

Dr. Heather Short Dr. Vicki Howell Dr. Mary Danley M-F • 8:00 am - 6:00 pm Saturday 8:00 am - 12:00 pm

202 North 7th Avenue • Sequim, WA 98382 www.sequimanimalhospital.com • (360) 683-7286


Sequim Centennial 1913-2013

30 • Wednesday, October 24, 2012

N

Sequim Newspapers

ewspapers have been important to Sequim for more than a century. One of the first, if not the first, was the Sequim Press, publishing its initial edition on April 8, 1911. According to Harriet Fish, a noted Clallam County historian in the 1970s, the newspaper was one broadsheet page, printed front and back, and folded into eighths, pamphlet-style. George W. O’Brien was the publisher and proudly stated in the masthead: “A Republican Paper.” Fish noted in that first edition, a third of the front page was was filled by an ad for C.F. Seal’s “Big Stores” in Dungeness and Sequim. Fish reported there were 2½ pages of ads and 5½ pages of local, national and foreign news plus features on travel, agriculture and animals. The Sequim Press cost $1.50 per year and published on Saturdays. Over the next 65 years, the format of the Sequim Press switched to tabloid style. (Apparently it was still publishing in 1976.) The Sequim Herald first published in July 1932 and closed about a year later. The Olympic Review first published in August 1960 and sold for 10 cents per single copy. It only lasted for 14 months. On the front page of its Aug. 16, 1961, edition, ran

a story on the opening of the $26 million Hood Canal Floating Bridge, “an engineering masterpiece” making, as one official said, “the Olympic Peninsula part of the state.” Staffer Genevieve Smith reported Gov. Albert D. Rosellini cut the ribbon and cars lined up bumper to bumper for 3 miles to cross behind the governor’s vehicle. During the toll-free grace period from 12:306 p.m. that day 5,916 vehicles crossed; a total of 11,000 crossed on Saturday. The toll was $1.30 per vehicle and 30 cents per passenger. A five-column aerial photograph, taken by Harry Boersig, accompanied the article and showed a string of cars in both directions. Shirley Larmore founded The Sequim Shopper in January 1974. She and her husband, Bob, transformed the free distribution shopper into a weekly tabloid community newspaper, The Jimmy Come Lately Gazette on July 10, 1974. Its masthead proclaimed “A friendly little newspaper in a friendly little town.” A copy was 15 cents. In its second issue, a letter to the editor by Mrs. John Jarvis read, “We wish you a long and prosperous reign as one of the most ‘readable’ papers on the Peninsula.” In 1978, Larmore sold The Jimmy Come Late-

ly Gazette to Leonard and Linda Paulsen. He was publisher until his death in 1982 and Linda Paulsen carried on as publisher until she sold the newspaper to Brown M. Maloney in September 1988. On April 4, 1990, a redesign of the paper brought about a change in the masthead to Sequim Gazette. Tim Quinn, who would be the Gazette’s cartoonist for 25 years, posed the question, “Has anybody seen the Jimmy?” Jim Manders was the Gazette’s editor from 1988-2002. Sue Ellen Riesau became publisher in 2002 and retired in July 2012. Michael Dashiell was named editor in October 2010. The Gazette earned “General Excellence” awards from the Washington Newspaper Publishers Association from 2005 through 2008, and 2010. The Gazette also won first place in General Excellence in the Society of Professional Journalists Pacific Northwest Division in 2011, and a third-place General Excellence award from the National Newspaper Association in 2012. Maloney sold the Sequim Gazette and Forks Forum to Sound Publishing Inc., effective Nov. 1, 2011.

Sequim Valley Lions Club

Custom Frame Shop and Expert Photo Restoration

Congratulations, Seqium!

Artists at Heart, Professionals in Action

Proud to be able to serve the community since 1955!

Our Full Service Frame Shop can artistically design and expertly build your memories, art, mirrors, and shadowbox memorabilia.

Dinner at 5:30 / Meeting at 6:30 2nd & 4th Thurs. Islander Pizza & Pasta Shack 380 E. Washington St. CONTACT:

Betty Wilkerson • 461-6090 or Ken Cram • 683-9999

From tintypes and all manner of films, to digital photos, we are experts at photographic reproductions.

Sounds expensive? Our frame shop will match any written quote, even from the big guys.

United Way of Clallam County

Restorations start at a mere $29.99

10

$

Sequim Gazette

00 OFF

Photo Restoration or Framing Must present this card. Cannot be combined with other offers. Expires 11-17-12

518 N. Sequim Ave.

www.goclearimage.com

360.681.7622

info@clearimagedarkroom.com

PO Box 937 • Port Angeles, WA 98362 360-457-3011

Serving Clallam County communities for 60 years!

TriniTy UniTed MeThodisT ChUrCh

100 South Blake Ave.

We’re in our 118th year!

Sunday School & Nursery: 9:30 a.m. Worship Service: 10:00 a.m. Bill Green, Pastor

683-5367

church@sequimtumc.org

www.sequimtumc.org


Sequim Centennial 1913-2013

Sequim Gazette

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 • 31

Jilson White, Sequim’s first mayor

A

pproximately 44 percent of Sequim’s populace turned out at the village’s single polling station in the G.A.R. Hall on Oct. 14, 1913, to vote on Sequim’s future. By a 90 to 66 margin, Sequim became the second town in Clallam County to incorporate, the first being Port Angeles, and residents also selected its first governing body. Jilson White, a Sequim resident since age 9 whose diverse professional resumé included having served as Clallam County deputy sheriff and Sequim Trading Company resident manager, was elected mayor with 89 votes. White originally had intended to run for treasurer but was named a candidate for the top position by majority vote at a public meeting following the passing of mayoral candidate C.N. Sprague just weeks before the election. White and Sequim businessman Herbert Godfrey, who was elected treasurer, were sworn into office by notary public Joseph L. Keeler at the old Sequim schoolhouse the evening of Nov. 19. At that very

first town council meeting, councilmen Jens Bugge, Frank Babcock, Austin Smith, Clinton McCourt and H.P. Barber, who would succeed White as Sequim’s second mayor, drew lots for their term limits and were appointed to various committees. When White accepted the inaugural mayoral post in 1913, he became the political figurehead of a small yet highly progressive farming community boasting a population of 352 and town limits encompassing 440 acres that extended one mile north to south and three-quarters of a mile east to west. On the heels of incorporation, the town council wasted no time in enacting several ordinances ranging from licensing peddlers, solicitors, shows and carnivals, bowling alleys, pool halls, shooting galleries and gambling establishments to enacting taxes and regulating public safety. The latter included ordinances prohibiting concealed weapons, imposing an 8 mph speed limit for horses and 15 mph for automobiles – which had to sport a horn or other warning device – and for-

bidding horses, mules and burros to run at large but allowing cattle to graze on streets, alleys and the public square from 7 a.m.-7 p.m. Additional civic projects accomplished during that first year of formalized town governance include Sequim establishing its first volunteer fire department, dog pound, telephone and electric power franchises, town hall and town jail, and the new Sequim View Cemetery – Sequim’s second town cemetery – being cleared of trees and stumps. In the following year of 1915, the coming of railroad passenger service between Sequim and Port Angeles gave rise to further town expansion and commerce. Jilson White was elected Sequim’s first mayor in 1913 and served for one year. He died in 1964 at the age of 85 and is buried alongside his wife, Edith, at Dungeness Pioneer Cemetery. Virginia Keeting Collection, Museum & Arts Center in the Sequim-Dungeness Valley.

• store wide discounts • free samples & gifts with purchase • refreshments

OPEN HOUSE November 1st 9am-4pm

Tender Touches Skincare Spa

Congratulations Sequim!

Old Mill wn

i n Take a stroll back in time and enjoy a home-cooked

Do

CAFE

k Ho me Coo

BREAKFAST, LUNCH or DINNER At the Old Mill

721 Carlsborg Rd., Carlsborg, • WA Phone: 360-582-1583 Tues. 8am - 3pm • Wed. thru Sun. 8am - 8pm • Closed Mondays

545 Eureka Way ~ Sequim

360-681-4363 www.tendertouchesspa.com


32 • Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Sequim Centennial 1913-2013

Sequim Gazette

SEQUIM

Women who lived in the Northwest during the early 1900s were a tough variety. They weren’t afraid to hunt or blaze the trails. These women were living hard and somewhat dangerous lives in the Olympic forests, farming in New Dungeness and homesteading in Sequim Valley.

building supplies, hom Used e fur nishin gs and lots more! Recy

cle • Re -Use • Re-Purpose We pick 683-7862 up for Gilbert Road • Sequim FREE! (Just 22 west of the Dungeness River on Highway 101)

501c3 Non Profit

On the web: www.aroundagainstore.org

Population 385, situated on Sequim Prairie, in the east end of Clallam county, midway between Port Angeles, the county seat, and Port Townsend, and 3½ miles south of Port Williams, the shipping point. About five thousand acres of this prairie are watered from the Dungeness river, a few miles away, making the Sequim country one of the most fertile, productive and prosperous sections in the state of Washington. The chief industries now engaging the people are dairying, fruit raising, hay, potatoes and produce. All kinds of garden produce, small fruits, cherries, plums, apples and grass products are wonderfully prolific. Near Sequim are two sawmills, several shingle mills, a planing mill and a number of logging camps. It has a modern twostory hotel of good accommodations, three large general merchandise stores, a drug store and a number of other stores; a bank; a weekly newspaper, the Sequim Press; an opera house and fraternal halls, livery stable

and garage ; telegraph and telephone offices; automobile service, churches, a graded and high school with seven teachers. Rural mail delivery. Mail daily. J.S. Bugge, P.M. The town has good, pure water from a deep 6-inch driven well. Water tower pressure. Land clearing and house building is going on all the time and Sequim is prospering, with rich and substantial agricultural wealth to back it. The Olympic Power Co. will have its power line running through Sequim this year, with an electric railway to follow later on. There is room at Sequim for a machine shop, steam laundry and other like industries. Lots of room for new settlers desiring small tracts of land for raising fruits, poultry or farm crops and dairying. The climate is the best in the world. The land is fairly level between mountain and seashore, and for health or business offers as good a location as there is on the Pacific Coast. Average rainfall yearly 23 inches.

Source: 1913-1914 R. L. Polk & Co.’s Port Angeles and Clallam Co. Directory (Note: The above was typed verbatim from pages 86-87.)

CLARK LAND OFFICE

LAND LANDSURVEYING SURVEYING MAPPING MAPPING DEVELOPMENT DEVELOPMENT CONSULTING CONSULTING CONSTRUCTION CONSTRUCTION SURVEYING MANAGEMENT P.O.Box Box2199 2199•• Sequim, Washington P.O. WA 98382 98382

Congratulations Sequim, on the 100 wonderful years! 30 Years Experience

PLUMBING & HEATING, INC. “Your trusted hometown plumber” • Family Owned & Operated in Sequim Since 1959 • Knowledgeable & Helpful Staff • Largest Inventory of “Hard-to-Find” Parts on the Peninsula

425 S. 3rd Ave. • Sequim • 360-683-7996 • www.billsplumbinginc.com

Troy Taylor, Manager

Windshield Replacement Chip Repair Boat & RV Windows

391 W. Washington, Sequim • 360-681-6633 Open Mon.-Fri. 8-5; Sat. by appt. www.genuineautoglass.com


Sequim Centennial 1913-2013

Sequim Gazette

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 • 33

Jamestown S’Klallam Tribe History By Betty Oppenheimer Publications Specialist, Jamestown S’Klallam Tribe For thousands of as bark, which was used for clothing and years, the S’Klallam blankets. In the 19th century, non-Indian settlers (“strong”) people lived in villages along the north coast of began to arrive in the area, desiring the the Olympic Peninsula, moving with the same abundant lands and waters that seasonal resources and living in harmony were so important to the S’Klallam peowith nature. While historians originally ple. In 1855, the S’Klallam leaders signed thought that man could be traced back a treaty with the federal government 10,000 years on the Olympic Peninsula, with the understanding that they always the discovery of the Manis mastodon would be able to hunt, fish and gather in in 1977 offered definitive evidence that their “usual and accustomed” grounds. humans, presumably natives, hunted on Yet over time, the settlers forced the the Olympic Peninsula as long as 14,000 S’Klallam to move off of their traditional years ago. In addition to hunting in the land at Dungeness, out to the Dungeness mountains and harvesting and fishing Spit. The S’Klallam people looked for ways in the salt and fresh waters of the area, to preserve their lifestyle, identity and the S’Klallams maintained the Sequim cultural ways. In 1874, under the leadership of Lord prairie by burning it back each year, to create habitat for berries and other ed- James Balch, the S’Klallam people living in ible plants, and new grass to feed the deer the Dungeness area decided that in order and elk they hunted. Their culture relied to survive, they had to adopt a new value heavily on the red cedar tree, which pro- system that included property ownership. vided wood for shelter and canoes as well They pooled $500 in gold coins and

Jamestown S’Klallam Tribe women from the early 20th century were adept at basket weaving.

Best Asian Cuisine! Great Service! Nice Atmosphere! Asian Bistro Mon.-Thurs.: 11am-9:30pm Sunday: 12am-9:30pm New Extended Hours Fri. & Sat.: 12pm-12am

990 E. Washington St. Suite G, Sequim

360-681-0721

Friday & Saturday 9pm-Close

Happy Hour

• $3 glass of wine & well drinks • Special appetizer menu • Special cocktail menu

Building girls of courage confidence, and character, to make the world a better place.

Troops forming now!

Go to www.GirIScoutsWW.org for more information. Courtney Kaiser Peninsula Program Center

ADULTS NEEDED TO HELP 800-767-6828 ckaiser@girlscoutsww.org START NEW TROOPS.


Sequim Centennial 1913-2013

34 • Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Sequim Gazette

Jamestown, continued from page 33 purchased the 210 acres along the Strait of Juan de Fuca now called Jamestown. Many S’Klallams joined the local work force, as farmers and dairymen. Others continued to practice their traditional hunting and fishing, using these goods for trade with the local settlers. Throughout the late 19th and the first half of the 20th century, the S’Klallam people withstood racism by local citizens who often treated the darkest-skinned among them as second-class citizens. They also weathered many political struggles with the federal, state and local governments, which at times recognized them as a sovereign people (as promised in the Treaty of Point No Point), but more often did not – instead choosing to refuse them any treaty rights. Still, the S’Klallam people raised families, worshipped, contributed to the local economy and sent their children to schools in Sequim. Jamestown S’Klallam Charles Fitzgerald Sr. (1871-1940) was just one example of a S’Klallam Indian who contributed to the development of Sequim in many ways. He not only ran the family farm and mill on land that is now located at the corner of

Old Olympic Highway and Evans Road, he also built the first “business house” in the new town of Sequim which served as the post office and grocery store, and from 1929 until his death, he managed the Dungeness-Sequim Cooperative Creamery. His obituary states, “Mr. Fitzgerald was one of the largest property holders in the East End. Beside the original homestead, in recent years he had purchased the Woods farm at Dungeness, and the original Thornton government donation claim at Old Dungeness …” In the 1970s, the Jamestown S’Klallam people joined with tribes across the nation in a movement to gain justice for those whose treaty rights had been ignored for more than a century by the federal government. Through a long legal process, the Jamestown S’Klallam Tribe was “re-recognized” by the United States government on Feb. 10, 1981. This finally confirmed the tribe’s rights as a sovereign nation, and as they formed a government (similar to any local, state or federal government), they became eligible for certain programs to build economic security for their people and to protect their tradi-

A Shaker church congregation in Jamestown in the 1920s. the tribe has become a highly collaborational resources. Under the leadership of W. Ron Al- tive, well-respected partner in dozens of len, Tribal Chair since 1977, the many programs in the areas of economic develS’Klallam leaders who have worked on opment, health care, natural resources, the Tribal Council and tribal committees, cultural preservation and the arts. The and the tribal staff who have worked on tribe is now the second largest employer the tribe’s behalf for the past 30 years, in Clallam County.

SEAFOOD – STEAKS – PASTA

Quail Hollow Psychotherapy PLLC

Fresh Oysters • Dover Sole 16 oz. T-Bone • Prime Rib Fresh Dungeness Crab Meat

Joseph L. Price, PhD 360.683.4818

360-683-1977

703 N. Sequim Ave., Sequim

Congratulations,

Sequim!

Gellor Insurance Inc. is proud to serve the insurance needs of Port Angeles and all of Washington. Let us help you find the right insurance to meet your needs. Contact us now for quick, competitive quotes!

Providing for Sequim’s insurance needs since 1928

GELLOR INSURANCE INC. 248 W. Washington, Sequim

360 683-3352

214 E. 1st, Port Angeles

360 452-2388

AUTO | HOME | RV | BOAT | BUSINESS CONTRACTORS | LIFE AND HEALTH

Toll Free 800-552-0734 www.gellorinsurance.com

Call us for a Free Market Analysis Today!

Early Bird Dinner Menu 11am–6pm Full-Service Lounge Happy Hour In Lounge 4pm–6pm Banquets To 50

Tues. – Fri. 11 am – 9 pm • Sat. 4 pm – 9 pm Sun. 11 am – 9 pm • Closed Monday

Welcome to theabretsht! playground on e

I love Sequim’s agricultural economy and now that we are virtually connected to the rest of the world it is the best place to be. Please call me to help you with buying or selling real estate.

Sequim Real Estate Office John L. Scott Sequim • 1190 E. Washington Street Cell: (360) 477-3907 • Phone: (360) 683-4131 • ddickey@olypen.com

Diann Dickey Managing Broker


Sequim Centennial 1913-2013

Sequim Gazette

Fun at the Fifth!

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 • 35

Active Retirement Living.

500 Hendrickson Road • Sequim, WA 98382 • 360.683.3345 • info@thefifthavenue.com • thefifthavenue.com

Assisted Living With A Difference

There’s never a shortage of things to enjoy! 550 Hendrickson Road • Sequim, WA 98382 • 360.683.3348 • info@sherwoodassistedliving.com • sherwoodassistedliving.com

Luxury Retirement Living.

More than independent senior living – a lifestyle of luxury 660 Evergreen Farm Way • Sequim, WA 98382 • 360.681.3100 • info@thelodgeatsherwood.com • thelodgeatsherwood.com

Where family ownership … makes the difference


36 • Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Sequim Centennial 1913-2013

Sequim Gazette

The Jamestown S’Klallam Tribe

residents of Sequim since time immemorial, property owners since 1874, congratulates the City of Sequim (sxwčkwíyǝŋ) on reaching its centennial anniversary! We look forward to a second century of collaborative community partnerships. Proud partners of Clallam County Sheriff’s Office, Clallam County Fire District #3 and Olympic Medical Center

Jamestown Family Health Clinic and

Jamestown Family Dental Clinic


Sequim Centennial