Page 1



Questions & Answers 2012 Resident Advisory Board April 3, 2012 1. How much would a person have to pay if they are not a citizen but still live in a unit? This depends on the make-up of each family. The general rule is that as long as at least one member of the family is a citizen or an eligible immigrant, the family will qualify as a “mixed family.” Those family members that are not citizens or eligible immigrants will be pro-rated, i.e. they will pay a higher rent than they would had they been citizens or eligible immigrants.

2. Can those who are “changing their ways” (getting off drugs, in rehab, etc) still be eligible for public housing? What is the process? Yes-they are eligible pursuant to completing the eligibility process, which includes a criminal background check. The applicant may be asked to provide evidence of a pattern of improvement, i.e letters of recommendation, completion of drug rehab program, etc.

3. What can a fellow resident do about someone who is over medicating themselves in the same building? The resident should call the police.

4. Would a person who was abusing substances in the past have to have proven that they are getting help to get sober during the eligibility process? The question is too vague. This would be reviewed on a case by case basis. 5. What happens if someone goes to jail for three to six months and a friend “apartment watches” and moves in? The person who is on the least must notify the property manager that he/she will be away from the unit for an extended amount of time. The unit may not be subsequently occupied by any other person regardless of their relationship to the household member. If a resident suspects this is occurring in their building, they should contact the property manager.

6. Does the Housing Authority have a live in aide sign something? Yes, the live-in aid must agree that they have no right to the unit.


7. What if someone moves into a unit without being on the lease but pays rent? In addition, the property manager has accepted the rent money. Every individual that moves into a Housing Authority unit is required to complete the eligibility process prior to moving in. Moreover, the property manager may accept the rent from a third party. 8. What is the process to have a split in a household? If the person is an applicant, only one person may remain on the waitlist. The parties involved must decide who will have a right to remain on the waitlist. 9. What is involved in a criminal background check? The criminal background check is a nation-wide data search required for each applicant identified by their Date of Birth, Social Security Number, county that individual is residing in and sex-offender background check. 10. When someone applies for public housing is someone required to tell information about their criminal past even if it goes back further than five years? The Housing Authority only looks back five years unless the criminal act is one that has no statute of limitations, i.e. murder, pedophile, etc. 11. How are the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR’s) made? In 1935 Congress created the Federal Register, a daily publication of the rules and federal documents produced by the Executive Branch of the federal government and by the agencies. Documents are selected from the Federal Register and arranged in a scheme of fifty titles, some of which are the same as the titles used to organize federal statutes in the U.S. Code. Each title is divided into chapters, parts, and sections. A particular provision can be cited by reference, first to the title and then to the section where it is found. 12. Are there are any times that a specific person can be let into public housing if there are specific circumstances surrounding a case? The Housing Authority is unable to answer this question because it is too vague. 13. What are some examples of government displacement? Examples include Code Enforcement, Public Improvements, or Development Programs.


14. Is being homeless still a preference? Yes, with verification from the Department of Human Services. 15. Is the San Francisco Housing Authority still using a form that allows people to deny moving into certain areas? During initial intake the Housing Authority will work in good-faith to find the most appropriate housing available for the applicant. 16. Who should an applicant place inquiries with regarding vacant units? An applicant should place all inquiries regarding unit availability with the Eligibility Department.



4. Would a person who was abusing substances in the past have to have proven that they are getting help to get sober during the eligibility...